|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did Malcolm's mother raise on her own after her husband's death?
2. Who was the leader of the Montgomery bus boycott?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Rosa Parks.
(c) Dexter Probst.
(d) Charlie Rose.
3. On what date did King make his first major speech to the nation?
(a) August 12, 1971.
(b) January 31, 1961.
(c) May 17, 1957.
(d) July 4, 1943.
4. Who was considered the most effective missionary of the Nation of Islam?
(a) Wallace D. Fard Muhammad.
(b) Malcolm X.
(c) Elijah Muhammad.
(d) Louis Farrakhan.
5. What "messiah" was Malcolm X portrayed as?
(a) "Messiah of blackness."
(b) "Messiah of hate."
(c) "Messiah of indifference."
(d) "Messiah of power."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who described Malcolm X as "the spokesman of bitter racism"?
2. What incident in 1957 brought Malcolm to the attention of the larger black community, especially in Harlem?
3. In front of which U.S. President did Martin Luther King, Jr. first speak about the "American Dream"?
4. Who did Malcolm X claim the "real criminal" was in his address in Harlem on August 10, 1963?
5. What did Peter Bailey call Malcolm X?
Short Essay Questions
1. In accordance with the black freedom movement, what two tasks did King believe were necessary to speak to whites about?
2. How did Frederick Douglass use the Constitution to declare his rights as an American?
3. What were the problems associated with the media's portrayal of King and Malcolm as adversaries?
4. Why did King realize the problem with black's self-respect?
5. What are the two distinct religious traditions in the African-American community?
6. Why was the North considered "Canaan"?
7. Why did Malcolm have a problem with King's use of Christian values to help the black freedom movement progress forward?
8. What was the difference in the way that whites and blacks were addressed during Martin's youth?
9. Why was Malcolm portrayed as a "messiah of hate"?
10. What did the concept of unity mean to Malcolm?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)