|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "messiah" was Malcolm X portrayed as?
(a) "Messiah of hate."
(b) "Messiah of power."
(c) "Messiah of blackness."
(d) "Messiah of indifference."
2. What did Malcolm claim was "seventh heaven" in Chapter 2?
(c) New York City.
3. Where did King make his first major speech to the nation?
(a) The Lincoln Memorial.
(b) The Library of Congress.
(c) The Washington Monument.
(d) The lawn of the White House.
4. What church was King's father a minister of?
(a) South Central Baptist Church.
(b) Montgomery First Baptist Church.
(c) First Baptist Church.
(d) Ebenezer Baptist Church.
5. Who was Malcolm's focus audience when he spoke?
(d) Governmental leaders.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what type of store did Martin Luther King, Jr. and his father experience racism together?
2. In what year did Malcolm convert to Islam?
3. What was the North described as during the "antebellum" period?
4. How many children did Malcolm's mother raise on her own after her husband's death?
5. In what grade did Malcolm X's education end?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the problems associated with Du Bois' theory of "twoness"?
2. Why did King realize the problem with black's self-respect?
3. What metaphor has always dominated by King's writings and speeches?
4. How did Malcolm justify his stand that blacks should not integrate with whites?
5. Discuss Malcolm's youth.
6. What happened to King, at the age of six, concerning the "ugly manifestations of segregation"?
7. Why did Malcolm state, "While King was having a dream, the rest of us Negros are having a nightmare"?
8. Why did Malcolm have a problem with King's use of Christian values to help the black freedom movement progress forward?
9. How are the two distinct religious traditions in African-American communities linked?
10. What meaning did the meeting between Malcolm X and Martin Luther King, Jr. have on the black freedom movement?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)