|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which Los Angeles ghetto did 14,000 National Guardsmen arrive at to restore order in 1965?
2. Who made the following statement found in Chapter 10: "You don't have to be a man to fight for freedom. All you have to do is be an intelligent human being"?
(a) W.E.B. DuBois.
(c) John Stuart Mill.
(d) Martin Luther King, Jr.
3. In what city did Martin Luther King, Jr. give his "Beyond Vietnam" speech?
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) New York.
4. What was the "most important similarity between Martin and Malcolm"?
(a) Their goal.
(b) Their honor.
(c) Their history.
(d) Their honesty.
5. Who made the following statement found in Chapter 11: "Freedom is not free"?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(d) Malcolm X.
6. Who did Malcolm believe was responsible for the conspiracy to oust him from the Black Muslim movement?
(a) Wallace-Elijah's son.
(c) The American government.
(d) Chicago officials of the Black Muslim movement.
7. After the 1965 riots in the Los Angeles ghetto, how many "Americas" did Martin Luther King, Jr. come to realize there were?
8. What image did Cone claim created more harm than help in black churches? (Chapter 11)
(a) "A white Bible."
(b) "A masculine and white ruled theology."
(c) "A white history of religion."
(d) "A white Jesus."
9. What did Malcolm consider socialism to be an alternative for?
10. What did blacks believe having faith in would deliver them from the KKK and other white hate groups?
(a) "God on Earth."
(b) "The God of the Southern Black Baptist."
(c) "The God of the Bible."
11. Who served as the "acting director" of the SCLC although most of the male preachers found she did not "exhibit the 'right attitude"?
(a) Fannie Lou Hammer.
(b) Jo Ann Robinson.
(c) Ella Baker.
(d) Mary Fair Burks.
12. Who made the following statement: "If King loses, worse leaders are going to take his place"?
(d) Elijah Muhammad.
13. What did Martin Luther King, Jr. believe was the "last major barrier to black freedom"?
(a) Denial of suffrage.
(b) Acceptance by the whole of America.
14. According to Malcolm, whose job was "passing on black cultural traditions to the children"?
(b) The neighborhood's.
15. According to Malcolm in an address to African-Americans, "All of us are black first" and what second?
(c) Human beings.
(d) Everything else.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Malcolm X assassinated?
2. Who did Martin Luther King, Jr. quote when he said, "My feets is tired but my soul is rested"?
3. What did Malcolm claim people needed in order to "go[ing] anywhere in this world"?
4. What did Malcolm call the black leaders that accepted financial support from liberal whites?
5. What magazine's interview with Martin Luther King, Jr. seemed to speak to Martin's dismissal of Malcolm as a "significant, creative black leader"?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)