|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is the target?
2. What weapon is used?
3. A small snafu suggests what about Hathcock?
4. Which adjective best describes Hathcock at this time?
5. Who sees the kill as his going away present?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident takes place while Land and Reinke are on patrol?
2. What is the next piece of news Hathcock receives? What is his reaction? What is his wife's reaction?
3. What happens while Hathcock is on restriction? What request is made by Hathcock?
4. Describe the condition of Hill 55 and its men upon Hathcock's return.
5. What is unusual about the information regarding the farmer? Why is it unusual?
6. How is the platoon viewed by others? What is a common duty for the platoon?
7. What happens at the end of Land's tour that gets him into trouble with his commanding officer?
8. How does Hathcock flush out the female spy conversing with enemy snipers?
9. Who steps forward to help Hathcock in this new venture?
10. What shocking news does Hathcock receive while stateside? What were the details of the news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the facts and statistics about the Vietnam War. Why was there a war? Was it technically defined as a war? Explain. What were the reasons behind the US military involvement in Vietnam? How many soldiers were sent over? How many casualties were there? When did the war begin and end? What was proven? Who won?
Essay Topic 2
Toward the end of the book, Hathcock is involved in a very serious fire. Discuss the scenario in detail. What was the extent of Hathcock's injuries? Why did Hathcock get injured? What could have been done to prevent the incident? What did Hathcock do to make the situation better or worse? What was the result of the incident? What was the enemy trying to do? Did they succeed? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Hathcock never had any deep desire to become involved with politics or other global issues. Examine why Hathcock became a Marine. Did others in the platoon have the same view? What was Land's view of the military and why he joined? Do you think Hathcock's views changed as he spent such a large amount of time fighting in Vietnam? How do you think Hathcock viewed the military and the government involvement in Vietnam after he was discharged and again after the war was over?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)