|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Hathcock's long range technique?
2. A random shot causes some people to hide behind what object?
3. Where is one enemy located?
4. What orders did Hathcock have?
5. What is unusual about the enemies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shocking news does Hathcock receive while stateside? What were the details of the news?
2. What is the next assignment for Land's sniper platoon? Where is it located?
3. What is Hathcock's life like after he returned home?
4. Examine the scene in which the farmer causes grief for the sniper platoon.
5. What is unusual about the information regarding the farmer? Why is it unusual?
6. Describe the condition of Hill 55 and its men upon Hathcock's return.
7. What incident causes Hathcock to get into hot water with his commander?
8. What is happening with the Vietnam War as Hathcock finishes his tour of duty?
9. What incident takes place while Land and Reinke are on patrol?
10. What happens while Hathcock is on restriction? What request is made by Hathcock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Burke and Hathcock. Did the men know each other prior to Vietnam? If so, how? When did the men meet? What was the first impression garnered by each? Were the first impressions correct? What was the first mission the men worked together? What did it entail? What was the outcome? As time went on did the personal and professional relationship improve or disintegrate? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the world of competition shooting. Why was Hathcock so drawn to the sport? What does it entail? What skills does one have to possess to be successful as a shooter, either for sport or as a profession? Did Hathcock have any skills that gave him an advantage over the other contestants? Describe in detail Hathcock's win at the competition at Camp Perry.
Essay Topic 3
Hathcock is reprimanded for taking on missions alone without permission. Explain why it was a foolish move. Was that kind of action common for a trained and experienced soldier? Explain. Do you think Hathcock was truly concerned about the troops or was the act a bit of grandstanding on Hathcock's part? Why was Land so angry? What might have happened if another soldier had pulled the same stunt? How was Hathcock punished? Do you think the punishment fit the crime?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)