|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Hathcock switch roles?
2. What was the award for?
3. How many confirmed kills did the character have?
4. How long is the cover?
5. What was Hathcock's rank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Later that same day, Hathcock makes the longest confirmed shot of his career. What was the distance and the wound inflicted?
2. What is the last event that occurs before Hathcock and Burke leave? Who replaces the sniper?
3. Describe Hathcock's views as he looks back on his childhood and plans on becoming a Marine.
4. Describe the formation and weapons used by the teams.
5. What physical ailments impaired Hathcock's life?
6. How does the author describe the enemy soldiers?
7. Explain the purpose for the school and Land's involvement in it.
8. How long is the enemy held captive? What do Hathcock and Burke do during that time?
9. Describe Hathcock's actions and how he won the championship.
10. Examine Hathcock's story about his shooting expertise in competitions.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hathcock is reprimanded for taking on missions alone without permission. Explain why it was a foolish move. Was that kind of action common for a trained and experienced soldier? Explain. Do you think Hathcock was truly concerned about the troops or was the act a bit of grandstanding on Hathcock's part? Why was Land so angry? What might have happened if another soldier had pulled the same stunt? How was Hathcock punished? Do you think the punishment fit the crime?
Essay Topic 2
Hathcock and Burke are shocked by the presence of the young troop of NVA soldiers. Explain the scenario and why the men thought it might be a trap. What was the most surprising thing about the confrontation? Who showed the strongest military prowess? How might the situation have turned out differently? What could the NVA have done to reduce or eliminate casualties?
Essay Topic 3
Research and discuss Hathcock's experience in competition shooting. What weapons are commonly used in the types of events Hathcock participated in on a national level? What are the requirements and skills necessary to compete at Hathcock's level? What competitions could Hathcock participate in after the accident? What other alternatives were there if a competition was no longer possible? What awards are given to competition shooters? Who are the best shooters in the world? How are they recognized? How often are the competitions held?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)