|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During this time Hathcock finds what iconic symbol?
2. How many people try to confront the sniper?
3. What gun did Hathcock use in competition?
4. Who are the two most experienced people in the group watched by the sniper and spotter?
5. What was the award for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hathcock's views as he looks back on his childhood and plans on becoming a Marine.
2. Describe the location where the groups were positioned. Why was that particular area chosen?
3. Who is the subject of the biography? What are his statistics and military status?
4. Describe the scene in which Hathcock encounters the presence of a young boy. What unusual occurrence took place? What was the result?
5. What details are given about the platoon's commanders?
6. What symbol was Hathcock best known for? What name was he known by because of it?
7. Hathcock reminisces about his meeting with whom? How did the men meet?
8. What is the last event that occurs before Hathcock and Burke leave? Who replaces the sniper?
9. Who is the main target of the teams? Why?
10. Describe Hathcock's appearance. What was different from other soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hathcock and Burke are shocked by the presence of the young troop of NVA soldiers. Explain the scenario and why the men thought it might be a trap. What was the most surprising thing about the confrontation? Who showed the strongest military prowess? How might the situation have turned out differently? What could the NVA have done to reduce or eliminate casualties?
Essay Topic 2
To add insult to injury, Hathcock was forced into medical discharge just before he reached his full twenty years in the Marines. Discuss the implications of the medical discharge. How would it affect Hathcock's career? Would Hathcock's pension suffer? If so, how? How did the discharge affect Hathcock in other ways? What are the standard career markers in regards to military service?
Essay Topic 3
The Apache was a significant character in the book in regards to enemy activity. Describe in detail who the Apache was, who she worked for, her role in the war, how her work affected the enemy, and her eventual downfall.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)