|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item do the people use for cover after the shooting begins?
2. What weapons were given to the spotters?
3. What adjective best describes the people in the group?
4. What was the nickname of the enemy sniper?
5. What award does Hathcock talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the location where the groups were positioned. Why was that particular area chosen?
2. Explain the purpose for the school and Land's involvement in it.
3. What incident leaves Hathcock worried about his home life and future?
4. Describe the first group of sniper instructors organized by Land.
5. Describe the formation and weapons used by the teams.
6. Describe the scene in which Hathcock encounters the presence of a young boy. What unusual occurrence took place? What was the result?
7. What is the last event that occurs before Hathcock and Burke leave? Who replaces the sniper?
8. Who is the main target of the teams? Why?
9. Describe Hathcock's appearance. What was different from other soldiers?
10. Later that same day, Hathcock makes the longest confirmed shot of his career. What was the distance and the wound inflicted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and discuss Hathcock's experience in competition shooting. What weapons are commonly used in the types of events Hathcock participated in on a national level? What are the requirements and skills necessary to compete at Hathcock's level? What competitions could Hathcock participate in after the accident? What other alternatives were there if a competition was no longer possible? What awards are given to competition shooters? Who are the best shooters in the world? How are they recognized? How often are the competitions held?
Essay Topic 2
Hathcock and Burke are shocked by the presence of the young troop of NVA soldiers. Explain the scenario and why the men thought it might be a trap. What was the most surprising thing about the confrontation? Who showed the strongest military prowess? How might the situation have turned out differently? What could the NVA have done to reduce or eliminate casualties?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Hathcock's reasons for keeping his military life separate from Jo. What was the purpose? Was Jo more angry or afraid for her husband? What was Jo's initial reaction to the newspaper story? How would you have felt in the same situation? How did Hathcock's return to Vietnam affect the Hathcocks' marriage?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)