|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What adjective best describes the people in the group?
2. What school did the officer run?
3. How far away was the jungle from the second attack?
4. What item do the people use for cover after the shooting begins?
5. How long is the cover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident leaves Hathcock worried about his home life and future?
2. Describe the formation and weapons used by the teams.
3. Describe the scene in which Hathcock encounters the presence of a young boy. What unusual occurrence took place? What was the result?
4. Examine Hathcock's story about his shooting expertise in competitions.
5. What was Hathcock's experience with the NVA company? Who was a part of the company? How many were there?
6. Describe the first scene in which Hathcock appears with a gun. When did the scene take place?
7. Who is the subject of the biography? What are his statistics and military status?
8. What symbol was Hathcock best known for? What name was he known by because of it?
9. Describe Hathcock's appearance. What was different from other soldiers?
10. Explain the purpose for the school and Land's involvement in it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the involvement of the Marines on Hill 55 in Vietnam. Examine the location, its benefits and drawbacks. What was so important about that particular battalion at that particular location? What difference did it make to have the Marines at that location? How might things have changed after Hathcock's injury and eventual discharge?
Essay Topic 2
In addition to physical damage and recovery, many soldiers face temporary or permanent psychological damage. Discuss this fact as it applies to the book. Who may have suffered from psychological damage? How did Hathcock deal with his psychological issues first when he returned stateside and attempted to become a civilian to each incident when he was injured? How did Hathcock handle it when he was discharged from the military?
Essay Topic 3
Research and discuss Hathcock's experience in competition shooting. What weapons are commonly used in the types of events Hathcock participated in on a national level? What are the requirements and skills necessary to compete at Hathcock's level? What competitions could Hathcock participate in after the accident? What other alternatives were there if a competition was no longer possible? What awards are given to competition shooters? Who are the best shooters in the world? How are they recognized? How often are the competitions held?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)