|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the spy Maria Teresa sent to court to keep notes on Antoinette?
2. Which country's quest for independence did France become embroiled in during the first decade of Antoinette's rule?
3. How long did Antoinette wait before consummating her marriage to Louis XVI?
4. How was Antoinette revived when she fainted during the birth of her first child?
5. To whom did Antoinette's father cling to before he unexpectedly died, almost as if he had a presentiment of his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the King, Louis XV, die?
2. As an adult living in France, how did Antoinette reflect back on her childhood?
3. What was the reaction from the children when Marie Antoinette took the French throne?
4. What problems arose when Marie Antoinette began choosing friends for herself within the court?
5. What was Maria Teresa's royal title at the time of Marie Antoinette's birth?
6. What effect did the outbreak of smallpox have on Teresa's plans for her family?
7. How did Antoinette's father, Stephen, die?
8. What was the court's reaction to the birth of Marie Antoinette's first child?
9. Who acted as Marie Antoinette's "foster family" during her childhood?
10. What parts of being a member of the French court did Marie Antoinette find particularly uncomfortable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During Antoinette's time in exile, there were many plans created by her friends and family to help her escape. First, describe the reaction from Antoinette's friends and family to the news of her imprisonment and exile in the towers. Then, describe the one escape plan that actually came into fruition. Why did this plan inevitably fail? Then, explain why Antoinette refused to attempt escape in the years after the first failed attempt. What did Antoinette think she could accomplish by staying in exile? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Shortly after Louis XVI was executed, Marie Antoinette was put on trial for similar crimes. First, create a brief time line of the events surrounding Marie Antoinette's trial and execution. Then, explain how the courts found and present their evidence against Antoinette and what Antoinette's reaction to the evidence was. Then, explain why Antoinette's trial and execution were historical landmarks and how her execution changed history. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Upon arriving to France, Marie Antoinette was stripped of anything Austrian and forced to adopt the fashion and customs of the French. First, describe the transition Marie Antoinette was forced to undergo in the attempt to ingratiate her into the Parisian courts. Then, describe Marie Antoinette's reaction to this transition - did it make her love or loathe France? Finally, describe the way the French court reacted when they first met Marie Antoinette. What was their reaction to the Austrian girl who would later become their queen? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)