|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which of the following objects did Marie Teresa compare her children?
2. Which of Antoinette's family members accused her of having "lost her bloom" at the tender age of fifteen?
3. Which of the following people did NOT have a problem with the king's consort's presence in court?
4. How did Louis XVI react when he heard that his first born child was a girl?
5. How much older was Caroline than Marie Antoinette?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Marie Antoinette find most ridiculous about her new life in court?
2. What happened when a young boy was nearly run over by Marie Antoinette's coach?
3. What was Marie Antoinette's first impression of the king's consort?
4. How did music infiltrate and affect Marie Antoinette's childhood?
5. What type of relationship did Antoinette have with her older siblings while she was growing up?
6. How did Teresa react when she heard that after a year, Marie Antoinette's marriage still had not been consummated?
7. What was the court's reaction to the birth of Marie Antoinette's first child?
8. Who acted as Marie Antoinette's "foster family" during her childhood?
9. What effect did the outbreak of smallpox have on Teresa's plans for her family?
10. How did the King, Louis XV, die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because of their hatred for the French government, mobs of people took to the streets murdering hundreds of people. First, describe why the French people were so angry with the government. Then, describe which people were typically targeted for death by the angry mobs. How were these people usually killed? Then, describe Antoinette's reaction to the random deaths of people throughout France at the hands of the angry mob. How did these deaths compare / contrast to the formal executions at the time? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Although marriage was something highly prized in the European courts, infidelity and affairs were commonplace occurrences, particularly with men who took many lovers. First, describe Marie Antoinette's initial reaction to the courtesans present in the French court. What was her response to the news that her husband, Louis XVI, had taken additional lovers? Why was it considered acceptable for a man to have additional lovers while his wife could not? What dangers were present for a queen when her husband took lovers? How did Marie Antoinette avoid these fates during her reign? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The news of Marie Antoinette's death had a huge impact on Marie Antoinette's remaining family members. First, explain what Antoinette's final words to her children had been before her death. How did the children cope with the news of their mother's execution? Then, choose at least one member of Antoinette's extended family and explain how the new of her death affected them. How did Antoinette's death change the way her living family members lived out the rest of their lives? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)