|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness claimed King Louis XV's life?
2. What was Marie Antoinette's nickname upon birth?
3. Which of Antoinette's family members accused her of having "lost her bloom" at the tender age of fifteen?
4. Which of Marie Antoinette's brothers married Isabella of Parma?
5. Whom did Louis use as his confidant regarding his sexual shortcomings with Antoinette?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Antoinette's marriage considered to be a "by proxy'"marriage?
2. How did the King, Louis XV, die?
3. What was expected of Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI during their first night as a married couple?
4. Who acted as Marie Antoinette's "foster family" during her childhood?
5. What problems arose when Marie Antoinette began choosing friends for herself within the court?
6. What parts of being a member of the French court did Marie Antoinette find particularly uncomfortable?
7. What was the court's reaction to the birth of Marie Antoinette's first child?
8. What problems soon began to arise with Marie Antoinette's spending habits after she arose to the throne?
9. What happened when Marie Antoinette's sister-in-law gives birth to a son?
10. What was the French court's first impression of the new royal couple, Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the French revolution, Marie Antoinette and her family were held in exile in the towers. First, describe what life was like for the royal family in exile. How did life in exile affect the adults? How did it affect the children? Based on the information in the text, which member of royal family had the toughest time dealing with life in exile? How can you tell? How did life in exile alter this person's outlook on life? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Upon relocating to France, Marie Antoinette struggled to consummate her marriage to Louis XVI. First, describe the reasons why Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI were hesitant to consummate their marriage. What was the reaction from the court to the news that the marriage had not yet been consummated? What rumors swirled about the couple and their romantic life together? Then, describe how Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI eventually overcame their hesitation, and what legacy they left for their continued family after their deaths. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen their arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Growing up, Marie Antoinette had fifteen siblings. First, describe the dynamic of a family that has so many children. How did Maria Teresa and Stephen manage to keep order in the house? What were the benefits for Marie Antoinette in having so many siblings? What were the downsides? How did Marie Antoinette's relationship with her various siblings help shape her as a future political leader? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)