|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose advice did Louis XVI rely on for political guidance upon taking over the French throne?
2. What country was Louis XVI from?
3. What title did Marie Antoinette father hold?
4. What was the name of Antoinette's foster brother, who was raised alongside her by the wet nurse?
5. How was Antoinette revived when she fainted during the birth of her first child?
Short Essay Questions
1. As an adult living in France, how did Antoinette reflect back on her childhood?
2. What was expected of Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI during their first night as a married couple?
3. How did Teresa show her motherly concern for Antoinette before shipping her off to strangers in France?
4. What was the reaction from the children when Marie Antoinette took the French throne?
5. What did Marie Antoinette find most ridiculous about her new life in court?
6. How did Marie Antoinette prefer to spend her time rather than trying to produce a French heir?
7. What reason did Louis XVI reportedly give to Marie Antoinette's brother, Joseph, as to why he and his wife had not yet consummated their marriage?
8. What problems arose when Marie Antoinette began choosing friends for herself within the court?
9. What parts of being a member of the French court did Marie Antoinette find particularly uncomfortable?
10. What effect did the outbreak of smallpox have on Teresa's plans for her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Long after Antoinette left her home country of France, she still kept in close contact with her family members and often reached out to them for advice. First, describe the relationship Antoinette had with her family once she moved to France. In what ways did Antoinette continue to keep in contact with her family even though they were hundreds of miles away? Then, choose one example of a time when Antoinette's family influenced Antoinette's rule and thus helped to shape or influence political rule in France. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The news of Marie Antoinette's death had a huge impact on Marie Antoinette's remaining family members. First, explain what Antoinette's final words to her children had been before her death. How did the children cope with the news of their mother's execution? Then, choose at least one member of Antoinette's extended family and explain how the new of her death affected them. How did Antoinette's death change the way her living family members lived out the rest of their lives? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
During Antoinette's time in exile, there were many plans created by her friends and family to help her escape. First, describe the reaction from Antoinette's friends and family to the news of her imprisonment and exile in the towers. Then, describe the one escape plan that actually came into fruition. Why did this plan inevitably fail? Then, explain why Antoinette refused to attempt escape in the years after the first failed attempt. What did Antoinette think she could accomplish by staying in exile? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)