|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people did NOT have a problem with the king's consort's presence in court?
2. Which of the following personality traits was NOT one Antoinette was taught to exude at all times by her mother?
3. According to popular rumors of the time, what was the true definition of the parties Antoinette privately hosted in the palace?
4. Where was Antoinette's father when he died?
5. Which of the following fashion trends was popular when Antoinette arrived in the French court?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Teresa show her motherly concern for Antoinette before shipping her off to strangers in France?
2. Who acted as Marie Antoinette's "foster family" during her childhood?
3. What was Marie Antoinette's first impression of the king's consort?
4. How did Antoinette's father, Stephen, die?
5. What happened when a young boy was nearly run over by Marie Antoinette's coach?
6. What reason did Louis XVI reportedly give to Marie Antoinette's brother, Joseph, as to why he and his wife had not yet consummated their marriage?
7. As an adult living in France, how did Antoinette reflect back on her childhood?
8. What was the reaction from the children when Marie Antoinette took the French throne?
9. What controversial move did Marie Antoinette make regarding her friends' position in court?
10. Why did Teresa worry about Antoinette's possible success as an heiress in France?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, there are many instances of shocking death, often brought about by illness, that deeply affected Antoinette's life. Choose two examples of shocking deaths in the book and explain how these deaths came about. Then, describe how these deaths impacted Antoinette, both in her personal and political life. Then, explain whether or not you think these deaths could have been avoided, and how. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
One of the first changes made during the French Revolution was to overthrow the monarchy. First, describe why the French people were so disgusted with their king, Louis XVI. Do you think Louis XVI was a scapegoat for the frustration of the French people, or did his actions as king warrant his overthrowing? Then, describe how the French people managed to overthrow their king, and what effect this bold move had on the country's politics. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Although marriage was something highly prized in the European courts, infidelity and affairs were commonplace occurrences, particularly with men who took many lovers. First, describe Marie Antoinette's initial reaction to the courtesans present in the French court. What was her response to the news that her husband, Louis XVI, had taken additional lovers? Why was it considered acceptable for a man to have additional lovers while his wife could not? What dangers were present for a queen when her husband took lovers? How did Marie Antoinette avoid these fates during her reign? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)