|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years into Antoinette's marriage did it take for her to produce a male heir to the throne?
2. How did Louis XVI react when he heard that his first born child was a girl?
3. Who did Louis XVI banish from court in one of his first moves as king?
4. Which color dress was Antoinette famous for frequently wearing?
5. During which Christian holiday did the Contesse de Noailles hold a dance party in her apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Antoinette's father, Stephen, die?
2. Why was Antoinette's marriage considered to be a "by proxy'"marriage?
3. What was the court's reaction to the birth of Marie Antoinette's first child?
4. As an adult living in France, how did Antoinette reflect back on her childhood?
5. What was the first change Louis XVI made in the French court after being appointed as the king?
6. What was expected of Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI during their first night as a married couple?
7. How did the King, Louis XV, die?
8. What was Marie Antoinette's first impression of the king's consort?
9. What was the reaction from the children when Marie Antoinette took the French throne?
10. What changes did Louis XVI make to the rules of child birth in the palace after Marie Antoinette gave birth to their first child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Long after Marie Antoinette's death, rumors and conspiracy theories continued to swirl, particularly about Antoinette's two children, Marie Therese and Louis Charles. First, choose one conspiracy theory or rumor about each of these two children and describe it here. Then, explain how scientists continue to work on these theories today, either proving them true or false. Finally, explain how Marie Antoinette's legacy would change if ONE of these rumors was proved to be true. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Almost immediately after Antoinette rose to the French throne, the French economy took a huge hit leaving thousands of peasants destitute. First, describe how the French economy plummeted during Antoinette's rule and how that economic downturn affected Antoinette's popularity in France. Then, describe how Antoinette and Louis handled the regular uprisings from the French people that demanded change in power and economy. In your opinion, do you think Louis and Antoinette handled this problem well? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Growing up, Marie Antoinette had fifteen siblings. First, describe the dynamic of a family that has so many children. How did Maria Teresa and Stephen manage to keep order in the house? What were the benefits for Marie Antoinette in having so many siblings? What were the downsides? How did Marie Antoinette's relationship with her various siblings help shape her as a future political leader? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)