|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following famous musicians reportedly asked for Antoinette's hand in marriage?
2. In which city was Antoinette handed over to her new husband?
3. What was Prince Luis de Rohan well known for at the time of Antoinette's arrival in France?
4. In what year did Antoinette get her first period?
5. Which of the following famous artists visited Antoinette during her first pregnancy with the hopes of earning her patronage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first change Louis XVI made in the French court after being appointed as the king?
2. What happened when a young boy was nearly run over by Marie Antoinette's coach?
3. What was the reaction from the children when Marie Antoinette took the French throne?
4. What happened when Marie Antoinette's sister-in-law gives birth to a son?
5. What was the French court's first impression of the new royal couple, Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette?
6. What parts of being a member of the French court did Marie Antoinette find particularly uncomfortable?
7. How did Marie Antoinette prefer to spend her time rather than trying to produce a French heir?
8. What problems arose when Marie Antoinette began choosing friends for herself within the court?
9. What was Maria Teresa's royal title at the time of Marie Antoinette's birth?
10. Who acted as Marie Antoinette's "foster family" during her childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Upon relocating to France, Marie Antoinette struggled to consummate her marriage to Louis XVI. First, describe the reasons why Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI were hesitant to consummate their marriage. What was the reaction from the court to the news that the marriage had not yet been consummated? What rumors swirled about the couple and their romantic life together? Then, describe how Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI eventually overcame their hesitation, and what legacy they left for their continued family after their deaths. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen their arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Long after Marie Antoinette's death, rumors and conspiracy theories continued to swirl, particularly about Antoinette's two children, Marie Therese and Louis Charles. First, choose one conspiracy theory or rumor about each of these two children and describe it here. Then, explain how scientists continue to work on these theories today, either proving them true or false. Finally, explain how Marie Antoinette's legacy would change if ONE of these rumors was proved to be true. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Almost immediately after Antoinette rose to the French throne, the French economy took a huge hit leaving thousands of peasants destitute. First, describe how the French economy plummeted during Antoinette's rule and how that economic downturn affected Antoinette's popularity in France. Then, describe how Antoinette and Louis handled the regular uprisings from the French people that demanded change in power and economy. In your opinion, do you think Louis and Antoinette handled this problem well? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)