|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Margret says that she asked ______________ to show her what she should be doing with her life and working with the poor is the answer.
2. Where is Margret when Mr. Holmes finds her?
3. What must Dr. Knowles now do since he has lost everything in the mill fire?
4. What is Dr. Knowles' reaction to the fact that Margret will be marrying Mr. Holmes?
5. Who does Dr. Knowles say that God has called to do the work of saving the people in the abandoned tavern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Go back in time five years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Margret and Mr. Holmes. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study on Mr. Holmes. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the story's title. What did the author mean by calling the story MARGRET HOWTH: A STORY OF TO-DAY? Why didn't she simply call it MARGRET HOWTH? What is the significance of including A STORY OF TO-DAY? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)