|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Margret say when Mr. Holmes asks her to be his wife?
2. In what month did the fire at the mill occur?
3. What type of institution does Dr. Knowles plan to open?
4. Dr. Knowles capitalizes on Margret's ____________________.
5. Which of the following does NOT stop by the Howth's home on Christmas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poverty takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Davis uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study on Mr. Holmes. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)