|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sets fire to the mill?
2. What is the tavern used for by some Negroes?
3. Where is Lois afraid of being for any length of time?
4. What does Mr. Holmes do that surprises Margret?
5. Who makes caustic remarks about Mr. Holmes once being engaged to the pitiful Margret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study on Dr. Knowles. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Poverty takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of loss. Identify at least two motifs about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each example
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)