|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lois save from the fire at the mill?
2. Where does Dr. Knowles lead Margret on the way home?
3. Why does Mr. Holmes say he is going to marry Miss Herne?
4. Why does Margret think Mr. Holmes has come to her house tonight?
5. Who escorts Margret home as the afternoon turns into evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the story's title. What did the author mean by calling the story MARGRET HOWTH: A STORY OF TO-DAY? Why didn't she simply call it MARGRET HOWTH? What is the significance of including A STORY OF TO-DAY? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Margret and Miss Herne. Why would Mr. Holmes be attracted to each of them? Why does he make his final decision to marry Margret?
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the new year. What does the new year symbolize for Lois? What does it mean for the rest of the characters? Explain.
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)