|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does woman wonder out loud about Visitor?
2. How do the women feel about the Suitcases speech?
3. What animal does Visitor despise?
4. After asking Visitor if she can keep a secret, what does Woman bring into the room?
5. What religious belief does Visitor suggest Woman's husband believes in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the characters in 'The Man Who Turned into a Stick'?
2. Does Boxer win or lose the fight at the end of the play?
3. What does the offstage voice in 'Suitcase' warn the women not to lose? How does voice describe the item he does not want them to lose?
4. How do Hippie Boy and Girl use the stick?
5. What does Boxer promise to do with his life in round four?
6. Who does Woman from Hell go to check on and what do we learn about that person?
7. What do Man and Woman from Hell lecture the audience about at the end of 'The Man who Became a Stick'?
8. What does Boxer tell Mr. Kimura he is confident in prior to the fight?
9. What will Boxer wear on fight day for good luck?
10. Why does Woman not want to open the suitcase? Why does Visitor think she has not opened it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the message Boxer receives in the three fortune cookies? What does this message mean in context of the play? What is the symbolic meaning of the fortune cookies?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Kobe Abe's biographical information and how it influences the play 'The Man who Turned into a Stick'.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character relationship between Visitor and Woman. How does the relationship between these two characters define the other? How does their relationship define other people mentioned in the play?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)