|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Suitcase' what is Visitor not interested in speaking about?
2. What does the voice say can intimidate a smile?
3. What does the speaker in 'Suitcase' compare Mona Lisa's smile to?
4. What animal does Visitor despise?
5. What does Visitor believe is in the suitcase?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hippie Boy agree to sell the stick?
2. How much does Man from Hell offer Hippie Boy for the stick and what is the final price?
3. What does Boxer record in his daily diary?
4. When does Hippie Girl first mention her sister and what do we learn about the sister?
5. What does the offstage voice in 'Suitcase' warn the women not to lose? How does voice describe the item he does not want them to lose?
6. How does Boxer's body feel in round three?
7. What does Woman says is stuck on Visitor's Elbow?
8. What does Woman do at the end of the play instead of looking in the suitcase?
9. Why does Woman's husband say the suitcase should not upset Woman?
10. What was the message Boxer received in his fortune cookies? Who did he tell about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism in the ending of 'Cliff of Time'. What do you believe happened at the end of the story? What does your interpretation suggest about the message of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term conflict. Choose one of Abe's plays and explain what the conflict is in the play and how that conflict is expressed in the plot.
Essay Topic 3
In what play does the line "Nothing can intimidate/ The mask called a smile" come from? Analyze the quote in context of the play.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)