|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Woman say is inside the suitcase?
2. What does the offstage voice in 'Suitcase' compare the women's smiles too?
3. What comment does Visitor make about Woman's marriage?
4. What does the offstage voice warn the women not to forget in 'Suitcase'?
5. What is the object Woman brings into the room in 'Suitcase' made of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Woman from Hell want to give the Stick to and why?
2. What does Boxer attempt to convince himself of in round two?
3. What is Woman going to make her husband for dinner?
4. When does Hippie Girl first mention her sister and what do we learn about the sister?
5. Why does Visitor think that whatever is in the suitcase is alive?
6. What does the offstage voice tell Boxer to do in round three?
7. What thought preoccupies Boxer during round one?
8. What is 'The Man Who Turned into a Stick' a metaphor for?
9. What does Woman ask Visitor about towards the end of the play that convinces Visitor to stay. What is Visitor's response to the question?
10. Who says "Once again, a man turned into a stick and vanished" and when in the play is this line spoken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the titles in parentheses in Abe's play and explain why Abe chose that title and how it relates to the message of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss both the literal and symbolic meanings of the stick in 'The Man who Turned into a Stick'. What does the stick mean in the context of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Kobe Abe's biographical information and how it influences the play 'The Man who Turned into a Stick'.
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)