|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Visitor use to try and open the suitcase?
2. What, in 'Suitcase', does Visitor ask Woman if she prepared for her husband?
3. What does Visitor determine by looking at the suitcase's lock?
4. What happens when Visitor tries to open the suitcase?
5. What does Woman propose they spray on the suitcase?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Woman going to make her husband for dinner?
2. Describe the two woman in the play 'Suitcase'. How are they related?
3. What does the voice offstage tell Boxer in round one?
4. What does the stick reveal about himself at the end of the play?
5. What does Boxer promise to do with his life in round four?
6. What does Boxer dream about eating one day?
7. Who says "Once again, a man turned into a stick and vanished" and when in the play is this line spoken?
8. What does Woman bring on stage to show Visitor. What does the audience actually see Woman bring onto the stage?
9. What do Man and Woman from Hell lecture the audience about at the end of 'The Man who Became a Stick'?
10. What does Boxer tell Mr. Kimura he is confident in prior to the fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the two main characters of 'Suitcase'. Which is the protagonist or do both characters carry that title? How does Abe construct a plot in a play which contains only two characters who are physically present on stage?
Essay Topic 2
Describe both the literal and symbolic meaning of the suitcase in the play 'Suitcase'. What does the suitcase represent in the play?
Essay Topic 3
What is the message Boxer receives in the three fortune cookies? What does this message mean in context of the play? What is the symbolic meaning of the fortune cookies?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)