|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the voice say can intimidate a smile?
2. When the suitcase opens what does advice does Woman ask Visitor for?
3. What does the offstage voice in 'Suitcase' compare the women's smiles too?
4. What does Visitor ask Woman for when the suitcase begins to make noise?
5. What does Visitor try to spray the suitcase with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boxer record in his daily diary?
2. What does Boxer think of his lifestyle? What are some of his daily routines?
3. What does Woman want to spray on the suitcase and why does Visitor not want to?
4. Why does Visitor think it would be difficult to open the suitcase? What does she realize upon a better look?
5. What is 'The Man Who Turned into a Stick' a metaphor for?
6. Why does Visitor argue that Woman's marriage is in trouble?
7. Who are the characters in 'The Man Who Turned into a Stick'?
8. What does Visitor use to try and open the suitcase? What happens when Visitor tries to open the suitcase?
9. What does Woman do at the end of the play instead of looking in the suitcase?
10. What does Boxer tell Mr. Kimura he is confident in prior to the fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Discuss both the literal and symbolic meanings of the stick in 'The Man who Turned into a Stick'. What does the stick mean in the context of the play?
Essay Topic 2Choose one of Abe's plays and discuss the theme of that play. Be sure to discuss how Abe addresses that theme throughout the play, symbolically and otherwise.
Essay Topic 3Describe the character relationship between Visitor and Woman. How does the relationship between these two characters define the other? How does their relationship define other people mentioned in the play?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)