|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious belief does Visitor suggest Woman's husband believes in?
2. When does the suitcase finally open?
3. Why does Visitor say Woman has not yet opened the case?
4. How does Woman react to Visitor's suggestion about her husband's ancestors?
5. When the suitcase opens what does advice does Woman ask Visitor for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the offstage voice tell Boxer to do in round three?
2. Why does Woman's husband say the suitcase should not upset Woman?
3. What comment does Hippie Girl make about the world?
4. What does Visitor use to try and open the suitcase? What happens when Visitor tries to open the suitcase?
5. What does Visitor think is in the suitcase? Why does Woman argue that is not possible?
6. Why does Hippie Boy agree to sell the stick?
7. What does Boxer record in his daily diary?
8. What speech does the suitcase make that the end of the play?
9. What was the message Boxer received in his fortune cookies? Who did he tell about it?
10. What does Woman ask Visitor about towards the end of the play that convinces Visitor to stay. What is Visitor's response to the question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss both the literal and symbolic meanings of the stick in 'The Man who Turned into a Stick'. What does the stick mean in the context of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism in the ending of 'Cliff of Time'. What do you believe happened at the end of the story? What does your interpretation suggest about the message of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Which play does the quote "Once again, a man turned into a stick and vanished" come from and who speaks the phrase? What does the quote mean in context of the whole play?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)