|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Woman telephone for at the end of 'Suitcase'?
2. What is Woman and Visitor's reaction to the noises from the suitcase?
3. What does the audience learn about the character named Woman at the opening of 'Suitcase'?
4. When the suitcase opens what does advice does Woman ask Visitor for?
5. What article of clothing does Visitor think reveals Woman's husband's personality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boxer think of his lifestyle? What are some of his daily routines?
2. How much does Man from Hell offer Hippie Boy for the stick and what is the final price?
3. What does the stick reveal about himself at the end of the play?
4. What does the voice offstage in 'Suitcase' speak about? What facts does the voice reveal about the person he or she is speaking about?
5. What thought preoccupies Boxer during round one?
6. Why does Visitor think it would be difficult to open the suitcase? What does she realize upon a better look?
7. In the play 'Suitcase', who does the suitcase belong to? What does this person say is in the suitcase?
8. What does the offstage voice coach Boxer to do in round two?
9. Who does Woman from Hell want to give the Stick to and why?
10. Why does Hippie Boy agree to sell the stick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which play does the quote "Once again, a man turned into a stick and vanished" come from and who speaks the phrase? What does the quote mean in context of the whole play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character relationship between Visitor and Woman. How does the relationship between these two characters define the other? How does their relationship define other people mentioned in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the three plays in this collection are linked and why Abe chose to place these three plays in one collection? Start with 'Suitcase' and continue through 'The Man who Turned into a Stick.' Make sure to address the points in each play that share similar themes with the previous plays.
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)