|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Woman ignore the suitcase?
2. What does the offstage voice warn the women not to forget in 'Suitcase'?
3. What does Woman think about Visitor's suggestion that she confront her husband about the suitcase?
4. Who does Woman accuse Visitor of collaborating with?
5. What, does Visitor tell Woman at the end of 'Suitcase', is her final obstacle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Hippie Boy and Girl suspect threw the stick and where is that person located?
2. How does Boxer's body feel in round three?
3. Why does Visitor think it would be difficult to open the suitcase? What does she realize upon a better look?
4. Does Boxer win or lose the fight at the end of the play?
5. Why does Visitor argue that Woman's marriage is in trouble?
6. What does Boxer promise to do with his life in round four?
7. What thought preoccupies Boxer during round one?
8. How much does Man from Hell offer Hippie Boy for the stick and what is the final price?
9. In the play 'Suitcase', who does the suitcase belong to? What does this person say is in the suitcase?
10. Why does Visitor think that whatever is in the suitcase is alive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of Abe's play to discuss the role the offstage voice plays. How does the offstage voice contribute to the theme of the play and what message do they deliver? How is the offstage voice used effectively or ineffectively? How does the offstage voice relate to the characters and vice versa.
Essay Topic 2
What does Woman's choice to not look inside the suitcase at the end of the play say about the message Abe is trying to convey? Does he convey this message clearly?
Essay Topic 3
Which play does the quote "Once again, a man turned into a stick and vanished" come from and who speaks the phrase? What does the quote mean in context of the whole play?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)