|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Fanny learn about Maria and Henry's scandal?
2. What does Sir Thomas offer to Fanny that Mrs. Norris finds objectionable in Chapter 23?
3. How does Fanny feel about the letter she receives from Edmund at the beginning of Chapter 44?
4. What does Sir Thomas inquire about Maria's wishes regarding her marriage?
5. Why is Fanny embarrassed to introduce Henry to her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Fanny plan to go to Portsmouth?
2. How is it that Fanny receives two chains to wear with the amber cross that William gave her?
3. Describe what happens when Henry asks Fanny to marry him.
4. Why does Edmund retrieve Fanny from Portsmouth?
5. What happens when Tom goes to London?
6. What does Edmund tell Fanny about her decision to refuse Henry's marriage proposal?
7. What is Mary's response when Henry tells her he plans to ask Fanny to marry him?
8. What is Fanny's reaction when she learns that William will soon be arriving at Mansfield Park?
9. How does Fanny react to leading the dancing at the ball?
10. Does Sir Thomas find William to be an engaging guest in his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fanny is frightened of Sir Thomas when she first arrives at Mansfield Park. What scares her about her uncle? How does their relationship change when Sir Thomas returns from Antigua? What actions does Sir Thomas take to indicate his acceptance of and high regard for Fanny?
Essay Topic 2
When Fanny visits her family in Portsmouth, what does she discover about them? How does she feel about living in her family's home? Does she appreciate more fully her life at Mansfield Park? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the East Room to Fanny's life at Mansfield Park. How does the room represent both Fanny's lowly status in the family as well as her refuge from the family? What do Fanny's actions regarding the room suggest to you about her character? Provide specific textual examples to support your answer.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)