|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fanny describe Mary's letters to her after she leaves Mansfield?
2. Where does Fanny learn about Maria and Henry's scandal?
3. What do Fanny and William say they would like to drink when they arrive at their parents' house?
4. What does Fanny think is "wretched, and how unpardonable, how hopeless, and how wicked..."?
5. What does Edmund tell Fanny that Sir Thomas thinks about her in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Edmund tell Fanny about her decision to refuse Henry's marriage proposal?
2. What does Edmund say when Henry asks to rent Thornton Lacey?
3. Describe Henry's visit with Fanny in Portsmouth.
4. What is Fanny's reaction when she learns that William will soon be arriving at Mansfield Park?
5. How is it that Fanny receives two chains to wear with the amber cross that William gave her?
6. How does Fanny feel about returning to Mansfield Park?
7. Describe what happens when Henry asks Fanny to marry him.
8. What is Mary's response when Henry tells her he plans to ask Fanny to marry him?
9. Is Sir Thomas surprised to discover that Fanny has no fire in her room?
10. How does Fanny learn of Maria and Henry's scandal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the Bertram ball as a symbol of Fanny and William's acceptance within the Bertram family. What actions show that Sir Thomas has an elevated opinion of them? How does the ball change Fanny? Use textual examples to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the significance of William and Fanny's relationship to Fanny's well-being. How does William provide relief from life with the Bertrams? Why is it important that William accompanied Fanny home to Portsmouth?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflict created by Henry Crawford's marriage proposal. How does he put Fanny in a difficult position? In what way does he further the conflict through his behavior? Provide specific examples to support your ideas.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)