|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Fanny plan to stay in Portsmouth?
2. Whom does Edmund see walking in the village when he returns to Mansfield?
3. Whom does Fanny think her mother resembles?
4. How does Sir Thomas react when Fanny tells him she does not want to marry Henry?
5. What is Fanny's biggest regret when she leaves for Portsmouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mary's response when Henry tells her he plans to ask Fanny to marry him?
2. What does Edmund say when Henry asks to rent Thornton Lacey?
3. Why does Sir Thomas want to hold a ball at Mansfield Park?
4. Is Sir Thomas surprised to discover that Fanny has no fire in her room?
5. Is Fanny welcomed when she returns home to her family?
6. Does Henry believe Fanny might change her mind about marrying him?
7. Is Mrs. Rushworth happy to leave Sotherton?
8. Describe Henry's visit with Fanny in Portsmouth.
9. What is Fanny's reaction when she learns that William will soon be arriving at Mansfield Park?
10. What does Edmund tell Sir Thomas about Fanny's role in the decision to perform a play in his absence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fanny believes that love is important in a marriage. Discuss her belief as it relates to her own marriage to Edmund. Do you think they are well-suited? Why or why not? Provide textual examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tom's role as the oldest son of Sir Thomas. How has being the elder son given Tom the freedom to behave selfishly? In what way does Sir Thomas encourage this behavior? How does his illness change him, and why is his transformation important to Sir Thomas? Provide specific examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the significance of William and Fanny's relationship to Fanny's well-being. How does William provide relief from life with the Bertrams? Why is it important that William accompanied Fanny home to Portsmouth?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)