|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose home does Edmund see Mary while he is in London?
2. What does Lady Bertram promise to Fanny that she never offered to Maria?
3. What is Maria's reaction when Henry leaves for a trip in Chapter 20?
4. Why is Fanny embarrassed to introduce Henry to her father?
5. What does Henry tell Mary that he is determined to do regarding Fanny?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fanny feel the morning after the ball?
2. Why does Edmund retrieve Fanny from Portsmouth?
3. What does Edmund tell Fanny about her decision to refuse Henry's marriage proposal?
4. What is Maria's response when Sir Thomas offers her the option of breaking her engagement?
5. Describe Henry's visit with Fanny in Portsmouth.
6. Does Fanny's place in the household change when Julia and Maria leave for Brighton?
7. Does Fanny want to return to Mansfield Park?
8. Describe what happens when Henry asks Fanny to marry him.
9. What is Mary's response when Henry tells her he plans to ask Fanny to marry him?
10. What does Edmund say when Henry asks to rent Thornton Lacey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conflict created by Henry Crawford's marriage proposal. How does he put Fanny in a difficult position? In what way does he further the conflict through his behavior? Provide specific examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
When Fanny visits her family in Portsmouth, what does she discover about them? How does she feel about living in her family's home? Does she appreciate more fully her life at Mansfield Park? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the theme of social status is used in the novel. How do characters such as Sir Thomas, Lady Bertram and Mrs. Norris value social standing? What are Edmund's views about the advantage for Fanny if she marries into money?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)