|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Thomas inquire about Maria's wishes regarding her marriage?
2. How does Mary describe the months she spent with the Grants?
3. What did Julia and Yates do that Edmund describes in a letter to Fanny?
4. How long does Fanny plan to stay in Portsmouth?
5. Where does Henry tell Tom he is going when he visits the family in the breakfast room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Fanny's place in the household change when Julia and Maria leave for Brighton?
2. How does Mary calm herself after she learns that Edmund will take his orders in a few weeks?
3. What happens when Tom goes to London?
4. How does Fanny feel the morning after the ball?
5. What does Edmund tell Sir Thomas about Fanny's role in the decision to perform a play in his absence?
6. Does Sir Thomas find William to be an engaging guest in his home?
7. Is Sir Thomas surprised to discover that Fanny has no fire in her room?
8. How is it that Fanny receives two chains to wear with the amber cross that William gave her?
9. What does Edmund tell Fanny about her decision to refuse Henry's marriage proposal?
10. Is Fanny welcomed when she returns home to her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fanny is frightened of Sir Thomas when she first arrives at Mansfield Park. What scares her about her uncle? How does their relationship change when Sir Thomas returns from Antigua? What actions does Sir Thomas take to indicate his acceptance of and high regard for Fanny?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the significance of William and Fanny's relationship to Fanny's well-being. How does William provide relief from life with the Bertrams? Why is it important that William accompanied Fanny home to Portsmouth?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the theme of social status is used in the novel. How do characters such as Sir Thomas, Lady Bertram and Mrs. Norris value social standing? What are Edmund's views about the advantage for Fanny if she marries into money?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)