|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the card game Lady Bertram chooses to play the first evening they dine at the Grant home?
2. What does Edmund miss about seeing the Grants?
3. About what subject does Henry give Edmund regarding Thornton Lacey?
4. How does Sir Thomas react when Fanny tells him she does not want to marry Henry?
5. What does Fanny help her younger siblings with when she is in Portsmouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Edmund tell Sir Thomas about Fanny's role in the decision to perform a play in his absence?
2. Does Henry believe Fanny might change her mind about marrying him?
3. What is Maria's response when Sir Thomas offers her the option of breaking her engagement?
4. Is Sir Thomas surprised to discover that Fanny has no fire in her room?
5. What does Edmund say when Henry asks to rent Thornton Lacey?
6. Does Fanny want to return to Mansfield Park?
7. Is Fanny welcomed when she returns home to her family?
8. How does Mary calm herself after she learns that Edmund will take his orders in a few weeks?
9. Why does Fanny plan to go to Portsmouth?
10. How does Mrs. Norris respond to Sir Thomas' criticisms about her allowing his children to put on a play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Tom and Mrs. Norris' behavior toward Fanny regarding the play. What does their behavior suggest about their view of Fanny as a person they can influence? What is Fanny's reaction to their manipulative ways?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tom's role as the oldest son of Sir Thomas. How has being the elder son given Tom the freedom to behave selfishly? In what way does Sir Thomas encourage this behavior? How does his illness change him, and why is his transformation important to Sir Thomas? Provide specific examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Fanny's positive influence on her sister Susan. How does Fanny rescue Susan and provide guidance that will be important to her later in the story? What role does Susan take on in the Bertram family? Does it mirror Fanny's earlier role? How so?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)