|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Fanny and William say they would like to drink when they arrive at their parents' house?
2. Where does Fanny learn about Maria and Henry's scandal?
3. Who leads off the dancing at the ball in Chapter 28?
4. What did Julia and Yates do that Edmund describes in a letter to Fanny?
5. What does Sir Thomas do with copies of "Lover's Vows"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Maria's response when Sir Thomas offers her the option of breaking her engagement?
2. How does Fanny react to leading the dancing at the ball?
3. How does Mary calm herself after she learns that Edmund will take his orders in a few weeks?
4. What is Fanny's reaction when she learns that William will soon be arriving at Mansfield Park?
5. Do Fanny and her mother grow close while Fanny is visiting?
6. Is Fanny welcomed when she returns home to her family?
7. Why does Edmund extend his stay with the Owens in Peterborough?
8. How is it that Fanny receives two chains to wear with the amber cross that William gave her?
9. Does Sir Thomas find William to be an engaging guest in his home?
10. Describe Henry's visit with Fanny in Portsmouth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Maria and Mr. Rushworth. Why does Maria agree to become engaged to him? What is she most interested in getting from the relationship? When her father gives her the option of breaking the engagement, why does Maria choose to go ahead with the marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tom's role as the oldest son of Sir Thomas. How has being the elder son given Tom the freedom to behave selfishly? In what way does Sir Thomas encourage this behavior? How does his illness change him, and why is his transformation important to Sir Thomas? Provide specific examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the theme of social status is used in the novel. How do characters such as Sir Thomas, Lady Bertram and Mrs. Norris value social standing? What are Edmund's views about the advantage for Fanny if she marries into money?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)