|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Edmund plan to be gone when he leaves the day after the ball?
2. How does Sir Thomas feel about Yates?
3. What news does William learn as soon as he arrives at his parents' home with Fanny?
4. How does Sir Thomas react when Fanny tells him she does not want to marry Henry?
5. What is the last meal Fanny and William share before William goes back to sea November 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sir Thomas want to hold a ball at Mansfield Park?
2. What happens when Tom goes to London?
3. What is Maria's response when Sir Thomas offers her the option of breaking her engagement?
4. How does Mary calm herself after she learns that Edmund will take his orders in a few weeks?
5. What does Edmund tell Sir Thomas about Fanny's role in the decision to perform a play in his absence?
6. How is it that Fanny receives two chains to wear with the amber cross that William gave her?
7. How does Fanny feel the morning after the ball?
8. Describe Henry's visit with Fanny in Portsmouth.
9. Why does Fanny plan to go to Portsmouth?
10. How does Fanny feel about returning to Mansfield Park?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Mansfield Park symbolize to Fanny? What does it represent to her when she first arrives? How do her feelings about it change as the novel progresses? Provide textual examples to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflict created by Henry Crawford's marriage proposal. How does he put Fanny in a difficult position? In what way does he further the conflict through his behavior? Provide specific examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Identify Edmund's early objections to his family performing the play and discuss the way these objections cause a rift between him and Tom. When Edmund changes his mind and decides to perform, what does this tell you about his character? Does he try to justify his decision? How so?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)