|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fanny introduce Henry to her family?
2. How does Mrs. Norris describe Fanny when she is speaking to Sir Thomas at the end of Chapter 32?
3. How does Fanny react when Henry visits her in Portsmouth?
4. What does Mary learn about Edmund the night he and Fanny have dinner with the Grants?
5. From whom does Fanny receive a letter from after Henry has proposed to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Tom goes to London?
2. How does Mary calm herself after she learns that Edmund will take his orders in a few weeks?
3. How is it that Fanny receives two chains to wear with the amber cross that William gave her?
4. Do Fanny and her mother grow close while Fanny is visiting?
5. What is Maria's response when Sir Thomas offers her the option of breaking her engagement?
6. Why does Fanny plan to go to Portsmouth?
7. Does Henry believe Fanny might change her mind about marrying him?
8. Does Sir Thomas find William to be an engaging guest in his home?
9. How does Fanny learn of Maria and Henry's scandal?
10. Does Fanny want to return to Mansfield Park?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Edmund overlook Mary's shortcomings early in their relationship? What does the scandal allow him to fully understand about Mary's true nature? What is he most disappointed about in her character? Provide specific examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is lacking in Mrs. Norris' behavior toward Fanny? How does she make life difficult for Fanny? Why does she believe Fanny deserves less than the other Bertram children? Provide three textual examples that show Mrs. Norris' negative opinion of Fanny.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Bertram ball as a symbol of Fanny and William's acceptance within the Bertram family. What actions show that Sir Thomas has an elevated opinion of them? How does the ball change Fanny? Use textual examples to support your analysis.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)