|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Mary ask the Bertram brothers about Fanny in Chapter 5?
2. Where did Tom meet John Yates?
3. What passion of Tom's takes him away from Mansfield Park in Chapter 5?
4. What does Maria say is bumping against her elbow "unmercifully" during the carriage-ride home from Sotherton?
5. What does Tom think of his Aunt Norris in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Edmund tell Maria about his reaction to their choice of play?
2. What reason does Henry give Julia for why he has not selected her for the part of Agatha?
3. Is Mary an excellent horseback rider?
4. Describe Mary Crawford.
5. Why is Fanny sitting on a bench in Sotherton Park?
6. Why does Tom dance with Fanny?
7. Does Mrs. Grant believe that Maria is interested in Henry?
8. How do Maria and Tom receive the news that Edmund will perform in the play after all?
9. Why does Mary want to know whether Fanny has been brought out into society?
10. Does Edmund show Fanny kindness when she has a headache?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Tom and Mrs. Norris' behavior toward Fanny regarding the play. What does their behavior suggest about their view of Fanny as a person they can influence? What is Fanny's reaction to their manipulative ways?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fanny's role as the protagonist in this novel. How do her moral values and integrity shape the story? What must she overcome in order to stay true to herself?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tom's role as the oldest son of Sir Thomas. How has being the elder son given Tom the freedom to behave selfishly? In what way does Sir Thomas encourage this behavior? How does his illness change him, and why is his transformation important to Sir Thomas? Provide specific examples to support your ideas.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)