|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sir Thomas discover Yates?
2. What does Lady Bertram send to her sister before she has her ninth child?
3. Where do the Bertram siblings go to see their father after he returns home?
4. How many miles is Sotherton from Mansfield Park?
5. Whom does Henry want to play the part of Agatha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mary Crawford.
2. Is Mary surprised that Edmund plans to be ordained?
3. Describe the East Room that Fanny uses for her own room at Mansfield Park.
4. What do Fanny and Edmund agree on about Mary?
5. What reason does Henry give Julia for why he has not selected her for the part of Agatha?
6. What does Edmund tell Maria about his reaction to their choice of play?
7. How do Maria and Tom receive the news that Edmund will perform in the play after all?
8. What causes a rift between the Ward sisters?
9. Does Mrs. Norris insult Fanny because she will not act in the play?
10. What is Fanny's reaction when she is told she is going to live with Mrs. Norris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify Edmund's early objections to his family performing the play and discuss the way these objections cause a rift between him and Tom. When Edmund changes his mind and decides to perform, what does this tell you about his character? Does he try to justify his decision? How so?
Essay Topic 2
What is lacking in Mrs. Norris' behavior toward Fanny? How does she make life difficult for Fanny? Why does she believe Fanny deserves less than the other Bertram children? Provide three textual examples that show Mrs. Norris' negative opinion of Fanny.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the East Room to Fanny's life at Mansfield Park. How does the room represent both Fanny's lowly status in the family as well as her refuge from the family? What do Fanny's actions regarding the room suggest to you about her character? Provide specific textual examples to support your answer.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)