|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Fanny miss most after she arrives at Mansfield Park?
2. What vocation is Edmund planning?
3. Who is Mrs. Whitaker?
4. How does Maria feel when she sees Sotherton?
5. What does Tom Bertram do that Sir Thomas has to pay for at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maria want to marry Mr. Rushworth?
2. Why does Fanny Price go to live at Mansfield Park?
3. What do Fanny and Edmund agree on about Mary?
4. What happens at Mansfield Park when Sir Thomas arrives home from Antigua?
5. What happens when Fanny's pony dies?
6. Is Mary an excellent horseback rider?
7. Does Mrs. Norris insult Fanny because she will not act in the play?
8. How does Edmund describe Sotherton?
9. Describe Mary Crawford.
10. How does Mr. Rushworth make a good impression on Sir Thomas after he returns home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Edmund overlook Mary's shortcomings early in their relationship? What does the scandal allow him to fully understand about Mary's true nature? What is he most disappointed about in her character? Provide specific examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the use of letters in this story. In what way does the author use letters as a method for advancing the plot and revealing important information? Identify two or three letters that are central to the plot's advancement and discuss how these letters change Fanny's life.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Maria and Mr. Rushworth. Why does Maria agree to become engaged to him? What is she most interested in getting from the relationship? When her father gives her the option of breaking the engagement, why does Maria choose to go ahead with the marriage?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)