|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Norris do to help the young people with the play?
2. What does Fanny have on the wall of her room that William sent her?
3. What does Edmund plan to do once his father returns from Antigua?
4. Whom does Mary think is the best actor in the play?
5. What kind of drink does Edmund give Fanny at the end of Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Rushworth make a good impression on Sir Thomas after he returns home?
2. How does Edmund describe Sotherton?
3. What does Mrs. Norris bring home from Sotherton?
4. What is Fanny's reaction when she is told she is going to live with Mrs. Norris?
5. When does Mary realize which Bertram brother she prefers?
6. What does Edmund tell Maria about his reaction to their choice of play?
7. Why does Maria want to marry Mr. Rushworth?
8. What reason does Henry give Julia for why he has not selected her for the part of Agatha?
9. What do Fanny and Edmund agree on about Mary?
10. How do Maria and Tom receive the news that Edmund will perform in the play after all?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tom's role as the oldest son of Sir Thomas. How has being the elder son given Tom the freedom to behave selfishly? In what way does Sir Thomas encourage this behavior? How does his illness change him, and why is his transformation important to Sir Thomas? Provide specific examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the East Room to Fanny's life at Mansfield Park. How does the room represent both Fanny's lowly status in the family as well as her refuge from the family? What do Fanny's actions regarding the room suggest to you about her character? Provide specific textual examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Identify Edmund's early objections to his family performing the play and discuss the way these objections cause a rift between him and Tom. When Edmund changes his mind and decides to perform, what does this tell you about his character? Does he try to justify his decision? How so?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)