|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary go to Fanny's room in Chapter 18?
2. Where is Fanny's bedroom?
3. What kind of dog does Lady Bertram have?
4. What is Fanny's reaction to hearing the news that her uncle has returned?
5. Where do the Bertram siblings go to see their father after he returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Maria and Tom receive the news that Edmund will perform in the play after all?
2. What is Fanny's reaction when she is told she is going to live with Mrs. Norris?
3. What is Fanny's reaction when she sees the Sotherton chapel?
4. Is Mary surprised that Edmund plans to be ordained?
5. Describe the East Room that Fanny uses for her own room at Mansfield Park.
6. When does Mary realize which Bertram brother she prefers?
7. Does Mrs. Norris insult Fanny because she will not act in the play?
8. Why does Edmund object to Yates' proposal to perform a play?
9. Why is Fanny sitting on a bench in Sotherton Park?
10. What does Edmund tell Maria about his reaction to their choice of play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify Edmund's early objections to his family performing the play and discuss the way these objections cause a rift between him and Tom. When Edmund changes his mind and decides to perform, what does this tell you about his character? Does he try to justify his decision? How so?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the theme of social status is used in the novel. How do characters such as Sir Thomas, Lady Bertram and Mrs. Norris value social standing? What are Edmund's views about the advantage for Fanny if she marries into money?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Fanny's positive influence on her sister Susan. How does Fanny rescue Susan and provide guidance that will be important to her later in the story? What role does Susan take on in the Bertram family? Does it mirror Fanny's earlier role? How so?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)