|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Fanny miss most after she arrives at Mansfield Park?
2. How does Fanny describe Mary during a conversation with Edmund early in the novel?
3. Who is most interested in Mrs. Rushworth's tour of the house and its history?
4. What is the title of the play the group chooses to perform?
5. Why does Edmund come to Fanny's room in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens to Maria at the end of the novel.
2. Does Sir Thomas find William to be an engaging guest in his home?
3. Does Edmund show Fanny kindness when she has a headache?
4. What does Sir Thomas think of Fanny and Edmund's desire to marry?
5. How is Fanny redeemed in her decision to reject Henry's marriage proposal?
6. Is Fanny welcomed when she returns home to her family?
7. What is Maria's response when Sir Thomas offers her the option of breaking her engagement?
8. What does Edmund tell Sir Thomas about Fanny's role in the decision to perform a play in his absence?
9. How does Fanny react to leading the dancing at the ball?
10. What does Edmund say when Henry asks to rent Thornton Lacey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Mansfield Park symbolize to Fanny? What does it represent to her when she first arrives? How do her feelings about it change as the novel progresses? Provide textual examples to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Identify Edmund's early objections to his family performing the play and discuss the way these objections cause a rift between him and Tom. When Edmund changes his mind and decides to perform, what does this tell you about his character? Does he try to justify his decision? How so?
Essay Topic 3
What is lacking in Mrs. Norris' behavior toward Fanny? How does she make life difficult for Fanny? Why does she believe Fanny deserves less than the other Bertram children? Provide three textual examples that show Mrs. Norris' negative opinion of Fanny.
This section contains 1,531 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)