|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom fret over about the theater?
2. How does Fanny describe Mary during a conversation with Edmund early in the novel?
3. What does Fanny have on the wall of her room that William sent her?
4. What is the relationship between Lady Bertram and Mrs. Norris?
5. How old is Fanny when Mr. Norris dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Mary an excellent horseback rider?
2. What happens when Fanny's pony dies?
3. Does Edmund show Fanny kindness when she has a headache?
4. What does Edmund tell Maria about his reaction to their choice of play?
5. Does Mrs. Norris insult Fanny because she will not act in the play?
6. How do Maria and Tom receive the news that Edmund will perform in the play after all?
7. What causes a rift between the Ward sisters?
8. How does Edmund describe Sotherton?
9. Describe the East Room that Fanny uses for her own room at Mansfield Park.
10. What is Fanny's reaction when she sees the Sotherton chapel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fanny is frightened of Sir Thomas when she first arrives at Mansfield Park. What scares her about her uncle? How does their relationship change when Sir Thomas returns from Antigua? What actions does Sir Thomas take to indicate his acceptance of and high regard for Fanny?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the use of letters in this story. In what way does the author use letters as a method for advancing the plot and revealing important information? Identify two or three letters that are central to the plot's advancement and discuss how these letters change Fanny's life.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Maria and Mr. Rushworth. Why does Maria agree to become engaged to him? What is she most interested in getting from the relationship? When her father gives her the option of breaking the engagement, why does Maria choose to go ahead with the marriage?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)