|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What passion of Tom's takes him away from Mansfield Park in Chapter 5?
2. What vocation is Edmund planning?
3. For what does Edmund ask Fanny's permission that makes her feel grateful?
4. What does Edmund think of the choice of play?
5. Why does Tom lead Fanny out to the dance floor after telling her he is glad she doesn't want to dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Norris respond to Sir Thomas' criticisms about her allowing his children to put on a play?
2. Describe what happens to Maria at the end of the novel.
3. Do Fanny and her mother grow close while Fanny is visiting?
4. Does Fanny want to return to Mansfield Park?
5. How does Fanny feel the morning after the ball?
6. What reason does Henry give Julia for why he has not selected her for the part of Agatha?
7. What does Mrs. Norris bring home from Sotherton?
8. What does Edmund tell Sir Thomas about Fanny's role in the decision to perform a play in his absence?
9. When does Mary realize which Bertram brother she prefers?
10. Why does Maria want to marry Mr. Rushworth?
Essay Topic 1
What is lacking in Mrs. Norris' behavior toward Fanny? How does she make life difficult for Fanny? Why does she believe Fanny deserves less than the other Bertram children? Provide three textual examples that show Mrs. Norris' negative opinion of Fanny.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the use of letters in this story. In what way does the author use letters as a method for advancing the plot and revealing important information? Identify two or three letters that are central to the plot's advancement and discuss how these letters change Fanny's life.
Essay Topic 3
Fanny is frightened of Sir Thomas when she first arrives at Mansfield Park. What scares her about her uncle? How does their relationship change when Sir Thomas returns from Antigua? What actions does Sir Thomas take to indicate his acceptance of and high regard for Fanny?
This section contains 1,576 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)