|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How big is the park surrounding the Bertrams' home, according to Mary?
2. What does Fanny think when Edmund decides to accept a part in the play?
3. Whom does Mary think is the best actor in the play?
4. Whom does Mary believe will make a good match for her in Chapter 5?
5. Why does Mary go to Fanny's room in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Edmund tell Maria about his reaction to their choice of play?
2. What is Fanny's reaction when she sees the Sotherton chapel?
3. How does Edmund describe Sotherton?
4. What do Fanny and Edmund agree on about Mary?
5. What happens at Mansfield Park when Sir Thomas arrives home from Antigua?
6. Why is Fanny sitting on a bench in Sotherton Park?
7. Describe Mary Crawford.
8. How does Edmund provide comfort to Fanny at Mansfield Park when she first arrives?
9. What happens when Fanny's pony dies?
10. What causes a rift between the Ward sisters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Tom and Mrs. Norris' behavior toward Fanny regarding the play. What does their behavior suggest about their view of Fanny as a person they can influence? What is Fanny's reaction to their manipulative ways?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Bertram ball as a symbol of Fanny and William's acceptance within the Bertram family. What actions show that Sir Thomas has an elevated opinion of them? How does the ball change Fanny? Use textual examples to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Identify Edmund's early objections to his family performing the play and discuss the way these objections cause a rift between him and Tom. When Edmund changes his mind and decides to perform, what does this tell you about his character? Does he try to justify his decision? How so?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)