Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks for opinions about how to improve his estate?
2. How old is Fanny when Mr. Norris dies?
3. Why does Maria intend to marry Mr. Rushworth?
4. Whom does Fanny miss most after she arrives at Mansfield Park?
5. What question does Mary ask the Bertram brothers about Fanny in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Henry believe Fanny might change her mind about marrying him?
2. What does Edmund tell Fanny about her decision to refuse Henry's marriage proposal?
3. Why is Fanny sitting on a bench in Sotherton Park?
4. What happens when Tom goes to London?
5. How do Edmund and Maria react when they hear the news of their father's impending return from Antigua?
6. How does Edmund describe Sotherton?
7. What is Fanny's reaction when she sees the Sotherton chapel?
8. What is Fanny's reaction when she is told she is going to live with Mrs. Norris?
9. Does Edmund show Fanny kindness when she has a headache?
10. Is Fanny welcomed when she returns home to her family?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Maria and Mr. Rushworth. Why does Maria agree to become engaged to him? What is she most interested in getting from the relationship? When her father gives her the option of breaking the engagement, why does Maria choose to go ahead with the marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Identify Edmund's early objections to his family performing the play and discuss the way these objections cause a rift between him and Tom. When Edmund changes his mind and decides to perform, what does this tell you about his character? Does he try to justify his decision? How so?
Essay Topic 3
What does Mansfield Park symbolize to Fanny? What does it represent to her when she first arrives? How do her feelings about it change as the novel progresses? Provide textual examples to support your opinions.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)