|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is France Ward's husband's occupation when they marry?
2. How does Mary describe Tom's manners in Chapter 5?
3. What does Maria say is bumping against her elbow "unmercifully" during the carriage-ride home from Sotherton?
4. What role does Mary Crawford tell Edmund he must play?
5. What does Fanny have on the wall of her room that William sent her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes a rift between the Ward sisters?
2. Is Mary an excellent horseback rider?
3. How does Edmund describe Sotherton?
4. How do Edmund and Maria react when they hear the news of their father's impending return from Antigua?
5. Why does Tom dance with Fanny?
6. Does Edmund show Fanny kindness when she has a headache?
7. Describe Mary Crawford.
8. What does Mrs. Norris bring home from Sotherton?
9. When does Mary realize which Bertram brother she prefers?
10. Does Mrs. Norris insult Fanny because she will not act in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Mansfield Park symbolize to Fanny? What does it represent to her when she first arrives? How do her feelings about it change as the novel progresses? Provide textual examples to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Tom and Mrs. Norris' behavior toward Fanny regarding the play. What does their behavior suggest about their view of Fanny as a person they can influence? What is Fanny's reaction to their manipulative ways?
Essay Topic 3
Fanny and Edmund have always provided solace to each other during difficult times. Discuss how Edmund comforts Fanny when she comes to live at Mansfield Park. How does he take her under his wing? In what ways does Fanny show her love for Edmund by giving him solace when he needs it? Provide textual examples to support your viewpoint.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)