|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom Bertram do that Sir Thomas has to pay for at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Loses his horse.
(b) Racks up gambling debts.
(c) Loses all his schoolbooks.
(d) Forgets to pay his debt to his tailor.
2. Who comforts Fanny when she sits on a step crying as a young girl?
(c) Mrs. Norris.
(d) Lady Bertram.
3. Why does Tom lead Fanny out to the dance floor after telling her he is glad she doesn't want to dance?
(a) He loves to dance.
(b) He is in love with Fanny.
(c) To get out of playing cards.
(d) He wants to talk privately with Fanny.
4. Who has impressive horseback-riding skills?
(b) Mrs. Norris.
(c) Lady Bertram.
5. What is France Ward's husband's occupation when they marry?
(b) Lieutenant of marines.
6. What does Tom want to do to create a better play?
(a) Build a theater.
(b) Get an acting coach.
(c) Practice his lines with Fanny.
(d) Have his mother help with the costumes.
7. When does Maria set a tentative date for her wedding?
(a) In six weeks.
(b) The month of February.
(c) When her father returns from Antigua.
(d) As soon as they can arrange it.
8. Where is Fanny's bedroom?
(b) Servants' quarters.
(c) Large room on the second floor.
(d) Small room next to Lady Bertram's bedroom.
9. What does Lady Bertram send to her sister before she has her ninth child?
(b) Money and baby linens.
(c) Letter of recommendation for a nurse.
10. What kind of drink does Edmund give Fanny at the end of Chapter 8?
11. What is the relationship between Mary and Henry Crawford?
(a) Niece and uncle.
(b) Aunt and nephew.
(c) Sister and brother.
12. For what does Edmund ask Fanny's permission that makes her feel grateful?
(a) To escort her to a dance.
(b) To lend her horse to Mary.
(c) To borrow her coat for his mother.
(d) To use her handkerchief.
13. What does Mrs. Grant say she is not pleased to see regarding the acting roles in the play?
(a) She loathes her costume.
(b) The scenery is badly painted.
(c) That Julia is excluded from having a role.
(d) Henry is making a spectacle of himself.
14. Who objects to performing the play?
15. What month does Sir Thomas plan to return from Antigua?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Bertram siblings go to see their father after he returns home?
2. What does Edmund plan to do once his father returns from Antigua?
3. What does Maria say is bumping against her elbow "unmercifully" during the carriage-ride home from Sotherton?
4. What does Tom fret over about the theater?
5. Who is Mrs. Whitaker?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)