Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Reiss resent his orders to cooperate with the police?
2. What does the I Ching tell Juliana when she consults it for advice?
3. In Chapter 9, what does Joe admit to really being career-wise?
4. When Tagomi inquires about General Tedeki in Chapter 14, he learns Tedeki is ________________.
5. Tagomi informs Reiss that Reiss's country is about to _________.
Essay Topic 1
The High Castle portrays a world full of hate and bigotry, full of ethnic slurs and racist comments. Exemplify how the author, Philip Dick, exposes the various types of bigotry that exist. What message does he seem to be trying to get across by doing this? Is he successful in doing so? Back up your answers with specific examples from the novel as proof.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of Good vs Evil is a common motif in literature. Explain how this theme is represented in the novel The High Castle. Who or what represents the Good? Who or what represents the Evil? Is the line clearly drawn between the two? Based upon the characters and events he gives the reader, what can we conclude about Philip Dick's theories about the Good vs Evil conflict?
Essay Topic 3
Towards the end of the novel the author points out the pessimistic attitude of Wegener and the optimistic conclusions of Juliana regarding the future of the world. Compare their specific viewpoints. How might their life situations reflect their particular views? In your opinion, who is more realistic about the world in which they live? Provide specific evidence from the novel to support your opinion.
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)