|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter 14 opens, what is Tagomi doing?
2. What does the discussion of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy lead Joe and Juliana to do?
3. What do Baynes's thoughts tell the reader about Mr. Yatabe at the end of Chapter 10?
4. In what way does Frank feel Juliana can use her talent to help the Edfrank Jewelry business?
5. After telling Tagomi he can't return his Colt .44, what does Childan promise him the jewelry he buys will bring him?
Essay Topic 1
Early on in the novel Frank Frink speaks of his life "bound up with all other lives and particles of the world." This thought can be applied to the manner in which an author keeps his characters and the events within his plot inter-related, regardless of whether they know each other or share events. Explain how Philip Dick succeeds at doing this to keep his story unified. Be specific with characters, events, and how they have impacted one another.
Essay Topic 2
The characters of Paul, Tagomi, and Childan all have their "moments" with the Edfrank Jewelry. What makes this jewelry different? How has each character reacted to it? What does it come to symbolize overall? Be specific throughout your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Tagomi can be described as a dynamic character, one that goes through a transformation from the story's beginning to its end. Trace the development of Tagomi from his telephone conversation in Chapter 1 with Childan to the final chapter when he confronts Reiss. In what ways does he change? What influences these changes? Be specific throughout your discussion.
This section contains 1,542 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)