|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Reiss resent his orders to cooperate with the police?
2. What does the I Ching tell Juliana when she consults it for advice?
3. In Chapter 9, what does Joe admit to really being career-wise?
4. When Tagomi inquires about General Tedeki in Chapter 14, he learns Tedeki is ________________.
5. Tagomi informs Reiss that Reiss's country is about to _________.
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the novel's title, The High Castle, both at a literal and symbolic level? What is the further significance of what Juliana learns about it when she finally meets Abendsen? What does Philip Dick appear to be saying through the multiple levels of meaning and the change that takes place? Be thorough and specific in your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Science fiction is often said to have at its foundation a strong connection to the real world. Upon what historical realities did Philip Dick draw? What are some of the specific parallels he makes between Abendsen's world and his own? By doing this, how does this novel equally become a criticism of our own history?
Essay Topic 3
The protagonist, or hero, of a story is a character pitted against an important opponent, the antagonist. Who do you feel is the protagonist of this novel? Explain and give proof to validate your choice. In your explanation, describe what he or she is up against, how the opposition is dealt with, and how this makes the person heroic. Be specific throughout.
This section contains 1,501 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)