Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Reiss resent his orders to cooperate with the police?
2. What does the I Ching tell Juliana when she consults it for advice?
3. In Chapter 9, what does Joe admit to really being career-wise?
4. When Tagomi inquires about General Tedeki in Chapter 14, he learns Tedeki is ________________.
5. Tagomi informs Reiss that Reiss's country is about to _________.
The novel The Grasshopper Lies Heavy is both popular and controversial in this society. Briefly discuss its contents and what makes the novel controversial. Then, discuss at least two characters who are supportive of its message and two who are opposed to it. With each side, explain
what influences their reaction to the book and how their behavior and/or thoughts demonstrate the side they represent. Be specific throughout.
Towards the end of the novel the author points out the pessimistic attitude of Wegener and the optimistic conclusions of Juliana regarding the future of the world. Compare their specific viewpoints. How might their life situations reflect their particular views? In your opinion, who is more realistic about the world in which they live? Provide specific evidence from the novel to support your opinion.
During his dinner date at the Kasouras, Childan thinks, "The universe will never be extinguished because just when the darkness begins to smother all...the new seeds of light are reborn in the very depths." What does this quote mean? Explain how it applies, not only to the Kasouras, but to the overall novel as well.
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)