Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Reiss resent his orders to cooperate with the police?
2. What does the I Ching tell Juliana when she consults it for advice?
3. In Chapter 9, what does Joe admit to really being career-wise?
4. When Tagomi inquires about General Tedeki in Chapter 14, he learns Tedeki is ________________.
5. Tagomi informs Reiss that Reiss's country is about to _________.
Essay Topic 1
The High Castle portrays a world full of hate and bigotry, full of ethnic slurs and racist comments. Exemplify how the author, Philip Dick, exposes the various types of bigotry that exist. What message does he seem to be trying to get across by doing this? Is he successful in doing so? Back up your answers with specific examples from the novel as proof.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the novel's title, The High Castle, both at a literal and symbolic level? What is the further significance of what Juliana learns about it when she finally meets Abendsen? What does Philip Dick appear to be saying through the multiple levels of meaning and the change that takes place? Be thorough and specific in your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Science fiction is often said to have at its foundation a strong connection to the real world. Upon what historical realities did Philip Dick draw? What are some of the specific parallels he makes between Abendsen's world and his own? By doing this, how does this novel equally become a criticism of our own history?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)