Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Reiss resent his orders to cooperate with the police?
2. What does the I Ching tell Juliana when she consults it for advice?
3. In Chapter 9, what does Joe admit to really being career-wise?
4. When Tagomi inquires about General Tedeki in Chapter 14, he learns Tedeki is ________________.
5. Tagomi informs Reiss that Reiss's country is about to _________.
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Tagomi can be described as a dynamic character, one that goes through a transformation from the story's beginning to its end. Trace the development of Tagomi from his telephone conversation in Chapter 1 with Childan to the final chapter when he confronts Reiss. In what ways does he change? What influences these changes? Be specific throughout your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Irony can be an effective tool by an author to make a point, develop a character, or move along the plot. Discuss Philip Dick's use of irony in the novel and the purpose it serves. Give at least two examples as proof. For each, explain its relevance to the novel's success.
Essay Topic 3
The High Castle portrays a world full of hate and bigotry, full of ethnic slurs and racist comments. Exemplify how the author, Philip Dick, exposes the various types of bigotry that exist. What message does he seem to be trying to get across by doing this? Is he successful in doing so? Back up your answers with specific examples from the novel as proof.
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)