|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Childan feel the Edfrank jewelry could give him an edge on the market?
2. As Chapter 7 closes, what gives Childan a feeling of "excitement and anticipation?"
3. Having a shadow cut off the sun just as Tagomi begins to read into the sun's effect on the jewelry in order to emphasize his mood is an example of the use of what literary device?
4. Why does Childan feel he must read The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
5. What do Baynes's thoughts tell the reader about Mr. Yatabe at the end of Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel The Grasshopper Lies Heavy is both popular and controversial in this society. Briefly discuss its contents and what makes the novel controversial. Then, discuss at least two characters who are supportive of its message and two who are opposed to it. With each side, explain
what influences their reaction to the book and how their behavior and/or thoughts demonstrate the side they represent. Be specific throughout.
Essay Topic 2
The characters of Paul, Tagomi, and Childan all have their "moments" with the Edfrank Jewelry. What makes this jewelry different? How has each character reacted to it? What does it come to symbolize overall? Be specific throughout your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Irony can be an effective tool by an author to make a point, develop a character, or move along the plot. Discuss Philip Dick's use of irony in the novel and the purpose it serves. Give at least two examples as proof. For each, explain its relevance to the novel's success.
This section contains 1,544 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)