|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Juliana's questions about Joe's shirts and his knowledge of the valet service suggest she is thinking about Joe?
2. What does Abendsen's novel envision the American work force as being?
3. The fate of what real group of people does Childan's statement, "I am an outsider in my own country" bring to mind?
4. What word best describes the mood at the Kasouras' home during Childan's visit?
5. What does the conversation between Childan and the Kasouras tell the reader has happened to the most humanitarian of the candidates for new Chancellor, von Schirach?
Essay Topic 1
During his dinner date at the Kasouras, Childan thinks, "The universe will never be extinguished because just when the darkness begins to smother all...the new seeds of light are reborn in the very depths." What does this quote mean? Explain how it applies, not only to the Kasouras, but to the overall novel as well.
Essay Topic 2
The novel The Grasshopper Lies Heavy is both popular and controversial in this society. Briefly discuss its contents and what makes the novel controversial. Then, discuss at least two characters who are supportive of its message and two who are opposed to it. With each side, explain
what influences their reaction to the book and how their behavior and/or thoughts demonstrate the side they represent. Be specific throughout.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the novel's title, The High Castle, both at a literal and symbolic level? What is the further significance of what Juliana learns about it when she finally meets Abendsen? What does Philip Dick appear to be saying through the multiple levels of meaning and the change that takes place? Be thorough and specific in your discussion.
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)