|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What image set forth in The Grasshopper Lies Heavy seems to upset Joe the most?
2. What word would sum up Frank's opinion of McCarthy?
3. Why does Childan send samples of his merchandise to the university?
4. What does Baynes say they must wait for before he and Tagomi can meet?
5. What Axis power is most accepting of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Frank speaks of Gresham's Law. What does this law suggest? How does Childan's reaction to the discovery about some of his merchandise reflect his understanding of the importance of this law?
2. One way an author can develop character is through descriptions of physical appearance and behavior. What descriptions does the author give of Wyndam-Matson? How do these descriptions reflect the way he runs his business in regard to such things as his treatment of employees, production, and such?
3. Wyndam-Matson and his girlfriend get into a long discussion about historicity. What is historicity? What point does Wyndam-Matson make about it? How is this idea supported in the novel?
4. How do Childan's and Frank's perception of the Germans and the Japanese differ? What motivates these views?
5. What new insight does Chapter 5 give the reader into the character of Baynes? What might this be foreshadowing?
6. How is the mystery client that comes to place an expensive order with Childan described? What appears to be his real purpose? Who can you assume this client to be, and why is he doing this?
7. Compare the reactions of Childan, Calvin and Wyndam-Matson to the discovery of the fake guns. What point does the author seem to be making about the business world as he sees it?
8. At the close of Chapter 6, we find Frank and McCarthy excited about starting their jewelry business. Despite this, Frank has some real concerns. Why? Are they legitimate?
9. How does Baynes react to Tagomi's apartment? How do his thoughts and reactions to Tagomi's possessions and comments further define his character?
10. What appears to be the source of Juliana's depression at the start of Chapter 3? Why might this be considered to be ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early on in the novel Frank Frink speaks of his life "bound up with all other lives and particles of the world." This thought can be applied to the manner in which an author keeps his characters and the events within his plot inter-related, regardless of whether they know each other or share events. Explain how Philip Dick succeeds at doing this to keep his story unified. Be specific with characters, events, and how they have impacted one another.
Essay Topic 2
Both Childan, when speaking with Paul about Edfrank Jewelry, and Tagomi, upon his return to his office, refer to the masks they wear. Explain what is meant by this. Discuss how it applies to these two characters and to others in the novel. Explain further how this concept helps develop a main theme of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The I Ching played a key role in plot development. Explain what the I Ching is and what purpose it serves to its users. Give examples of the role it played in moving along the events of the story.
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)