Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contradiction does the Oracle's message predict that leaves Frank confused?
2. What does Juliana feel the Germans have made little advancement in despite having gone to Mars?
3. What does Tagomi receive that makes him become suspicious of Baynes's real intentions?
4. In Chapter 6, Tagomi is now convinced that Baynes really is ___________.
5. What upsets Tagomi causing him to leave the special session of the Foreign Office?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what is further learned about the book The Grasshopper Lies Heavy from Rita's conversation with Wyndam-Matson? How does this conversation create a conflict between them?
2. Despite initiating a relationship with Joe, whom she finds attractive, Juliana begins to feel uncomfortable around him. Why? What might this be foreshadowing?
3. What similarities can be seen between Tagomi's situation, actions, and reactions as Chapter 12 ends and those of Juliana as Chapter 13 ends?
4. How is the mystery client that comes to place an expensive order with Childan described? What appears to be his real purpose? Who can you assume this client to be, and why is he doing this?
5. Wegener speaks of the political situation of the Third Reich and its plans for Japan. As he explains what the Japanese must do to protect their own interests and country, Tagomi grows more and more upset. Why, if Wegener is trying to help, is Tagomi so disturbed?
6. What new insight does Chapter 5 give the reader into the character of Baynes? What might this be foreshadowing?
7. Vom Meere tells Reiss he received an anonymous phone call from a Japanese official regarding an appointment with a Swedish industrialist. Who most likely made this call? Why? How does this later impact on him?
8. Chapter 10 focuses on the internal and external conflicts faced by Baynes. What are these conflicts? What do they suggest about his character?
9. Juliana is surprised to learn that Abendsen no longer lives in the High Castle. Why did he live there originally? What did his life there seem to symbolize? Why has he moved? What is significant about his move?
10. In Chapter 5, Tagomi tells Baynes that many books like the I Ching and The Bible are alive. What does he mean by this? How does this appear to be supported in the text up to the close of this chapter ?
Essay Topic 1
The High Castle portrays a world full of hate and bigotry, full of ethnic slurs and racist comments. Exemplify how the author, Philip Dick, exposes the various types of bigotry that exist. What message does he seem to be trying to get across by doing this? Is he successful in doing so? Back up your answers with specific examples from the novel as proof.
Essay Topic 2
The characters of Paul, Tagomi, and Childan all have their "moments" with the Edfrank Jewelry. What makes this jewelry different? How has each character reacted to it? What does it come to symbolize overall? Be specific throughout your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the novel's title, The High Castle, both at a literal and symbolic level? What is the further significance of what Juliana learns about it when she finally meets Abendsen? What does Philip Dick appear to be saying through the multiple levels of meaning and the change that takes place? Be thorough and specific in your discussion.
This section contains 1,405 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)