Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contradiction does the Oracle's message predict that leaves Frank confused?
2. What does Juliana feel the Germans have made little advancement in despite having gone to Mars?
3. What does Tagomi receive that makes him become suspicious of Baynes's real intentions?
4. In Chapter 6, Tagomi is now convinced that Baynes really is ___________.
5. What upsets Tagomi causing him to leave the special session of the Foreign Office?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what is further learned about the book The Grasshopper Lies Heavy from Rita's conversation with Wyndam-Matson? How does this conversation create a conflict between them?
2. Despite initiating a relationship with Joe, whom she finds attractive, Juliana begins to feel uncomfortable around him. Why? What might this be foreshadowing?
3. What similarities can be seen between Tagomi's situation, actions, and reactions as Chapter 12 ends and those of Juliana as Chapter 13 ends?
4. How is the mystery client that comes to place an expensive order with Childan described? What appears to be his real purpose? Who can you assume this client to be, and why is he doing this?
5. Wegener speaks of the political situation of the Third Reich and its plans for Japan. As he explains what the Japanese must do to protect their own interests and country, Tagomi grows more and more upset. Why, if Wegener is trying to help, is Tagomi so disturbed?
6. What new insight does Chapter 5 give the reader into the character of Baynes? What might this be foreshadowing?
7. Vom Meere tells Reiss he received an anonymous phone call from a Japanese official regarding an appointment with a Swedish industrialist. Who most likely made this call? Why? How does this later impact on him?
8. Chapter 10 focuses on the internal and external conflicts faced by Baynes. What are these conflicts? What do they suggest about his character?
9. Juliana is surprised to learn that Abendsen no longer lives in the High Castle. Why did he live there originally? What did his life there seem to symbolize? Why has he moved? What is significant about his move?
10. In Chapter 5, Tagomi tells Baynes that many books like the I Ching and The Bible are alive. What does he mean by this? How does this appear to be supported in the text up to the close of this chapter ?
Often a character faces both inner and outer conflicts that define his personality. Choose a character from The High Castle and discuss both an internal and an external conflict faced by this character (one may lead to the other or they may be completely separate). For each, define the conflict, describe how the character dealt with the conflict, and explain how (if) it was resolved. Go on to discuss what this says about this character. Be specific throughout.
The idea of Good vs Evil is a common motif in literature. Explain how this theme is represented in the novel The High Castle. Who or what represents the Good? Who or what represents the Evil? Is the line clearly drawn between the two? Based upon the characters and events he gives the reader, what can we conclude about Philip Dick's theories about the Good vs Evil conflict?
Both Childan, when speaking with Paul about Edfrank Jewelry, and Tagomi, upon his return to his office, refer to the masks they wear. Explain what is meant by this. Discuss how it applies to these two characters and to others in the novel. Explain further how this concept helps develop a main theme of the novel.
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)