|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Juliana certain she and Joe could never be part of the colonization on other planets?
2. What is rumored about Germany that concerns both Tagomi and Juliana?
3. Why does Childan send samples of his merchandise to the university?
4. What about Frank makes it difficult for him to move to a new territory?
5. What does McCarthy suggest is the reason Frank is initially reluctant to start his own business?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what suggestion is the author making by putting Hitler in a sanitarium and then noting that the present world in this novel is the product of his mind? What similarities are seen in the thoughts of Juliana and Baynes to support this view?
2. What new insight does Chapter 5 give the reader into the character of Baynes? What might this be foreshadowing?
3. In Chapter 4, Frank speaks of Gresham's Law. What does this law suggest? How does Childan's reaction to the discovery about some of his merchandise reflect his understanding of the importance of this law?
4. Juliana responds to the radio commentary about the potential new Chancellor by saying, "Those murderers are talked about as if they are like the rest of us." Joe responds,"There isn't anything they've done that we wouldn't have done if we'd been in their places." What does Joe mean by this? What proof has Joe offered to support his opinion?
5. Childan says of the Kasouras, "these new young people, of the rising generation, who did not remember the days before the war or even the war itself, - they were the hope of the world." What is meant by this? How do the Kasouras appear to prove him right?
6. How does Baynes react to Tagomi's apartment? How do his thoughts and reactions to Tagomi's possessions and comments further define his character?
7. The voice of the radio quotes from The Bible, "What profit it a man if he gain the whole world but in this enterprise lose his soul?" How does this apply to what we have witnessed of this world in Chapter 1?
8. Despite initiating a relationship with Joe, whom she finds attractive, Juliana begins to feel uncomfortable around him. Why? What might this be foreshadowing?
9. How do Childan's and Frank's perception of the Germans and the Japanese differ? What motivates these views?
10. What do we learn about Hawthorne Abendsen, the author of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy? How does Juliana feel about this novel as compared to Joe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Childan, when speaking with Paul about Edfrank Jewelry, and Tagomi, upon his return to his office, refer to the masks they wear. Explain what is meant by this. Discuss how it applies to these two characters and to others in the novel. Explain further how this concept helps develop a main theme of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of Good vs Evil is a common motif in literature. Explain how this theme is represented in the novel The High Castle. Who or what represents the Good? Who or what represents the Evil? Is the line clearly drawn between the two? Based upon the characters and events he gives the reader, what can we conclude about Philip Dick's theories about the Good vs Evil conflict?
Essay Topic 3
Irony can be an effective tool by an author to make a point, develop a character, or move along the plot. Discuss Philip Dick's use of irony in the novel and the purpose it serves. Give at least two examples as proof. For each, explain its relevance to the novel's success.
This section contains 1,509 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)