|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contradiction does the Oracle's message predict that leaves Frank confused?
2. What does Juliana feel the Germans have made little advancement in despite having gone to Mars?
3. What does Tagomi receive that makes him become suspicious of Baynes's real intentions?
4. In Chapter 6, Tagomi is now convinced that Baynes really is ___________.
5. What upsets Tagomi causing him to leave the special session of the Foreign Office?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what is further learned about the book The Grasshopper Lies Heavy from Rita's conversation with Wyndam-Matson? How does this conversation create a conflict between them?
2. Despite initiating a relationship with Joe, whom she finds attractive, Juliana begins to feel uncomfortable around him. Why? What might this be foreshadowing?
3. What similarities can be seen between Tagomi's situation, actions, and reactions as Chapter 12 ends and those of Juliana as Chapter 13 ends?
4. How is the mystery client that comes to place an expensive order with Childan described? What appears to be his real purpose? Who can you assume this client to be, and why is he doing this?
5. Wegener speaks of the political situation of the Third Reich and its plans for Japan. As he explains what the Japanese must do to protect their own interests and country, Tagomi grows more and more upset. Why, if Wegener is trying to help, is Tagomi so disturbed?
6. What new insight does Chapter 5 give the reader into the character of Baynes? What might this be foreshadowing?
7. Vom Meere tells Reiss he received an anonymous phone call from a Japanese official regarding an appointment with a Swedish industrialist. Who most likely made this call? Why? How does this later impact on him?
8. Chapter 10 focuses on the internal and external conflicts faced by Baynes. What are these conflicts? What do they suggest about his character?
9. Juliana is surprised to learn that Abendsen no longer lives in the High Castle. Why did he live there originally? What did his life there seem to symbolize? Why has he moved? What is significant about his move?
10. In Chapter 5, Tagomi tells Baynes that many books like the I Ching and The Bible are alive. What does he mean by this? How does this appear to be supported in the text up to the close of this chapter ?
Essay Topic 1
The characters of Paul, Tagomi, and Childan all have their "moments" with the Edfrank Jewelry. What makes this jewelry different? How has each character reacted to it? What does it come to symbolize overall? Be specific throughout your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
The novel The Grasshopper Lies Heavy is both popular and controversial in this society. Briefly discuss its contents and what makes the novel controversial. Then, discuss at least two characters who are supportive of its message and two who are opposed to it. With each side, explain
what influences their reaction to the book and how their behavior and/or thoughts demonstrate the side they represent. Be specific throughout.
Essay Topic 3
Philip Dick used the technique of writing a story to create his novel The High Castle. What are the two stories presented? How do they compare? Do you think this is an effective technique? Explain why (or why not). Use specific references throughout your discussion to show the connections and prove ( or disprove) their relevancy and effectiveness.
This section contains 2,599 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)