|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abendsen's novel envision the American work force as being?
(a) Equal in pay and ability.
(b) Respected and well compensated.
(c) On a volunteer basis.
(d) Made up of robots.
2. When speaking to Betty Kasoura at her home, how is Childan feeling about her?
3. What is different about Joe's hair when he comes out of the barbershop?
(a) It is hidden by a wig.
(b) It is completely shaved off.
(c) It is straightened and trimmed.
(d) It is short and blond.
4. Why does McCarthy, rather than Frank, go to Childan's shop to market their jewelry?
(a) Childan might recognize Frank.
(b) Frank is busy producing more.
(c) Childan is a childhood friend.
(d) McCarthy is more sociable.
5. What are Americans portrayed as doing by the author of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy that impresses Juliana?
(a) Working to eliminate foreign competition.
(b) Fighting to free the British.
(c) Succeeding in conquering the world.
(d) Helping to erase world suffering.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what happens while Tagomi and his visitors meet in his office?
2. How does Joe appear when he tries to explain to Juliana what Abendsen is saying in the novel?
3. Why does Reiss resent his orders to cooperate with the police?
4. What does Juliana do after she leaves the hotel?
5. After telling Tagomi he can't return his Colt .44, what does Childan promise him the jewelry he buys will bring him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tagomi buys a piece of Edfrank Jewelry at Childan's suggestion. What selling angle does Childan use that convinces Tagomi to buy it? What does Tagomi hope to get from this purchase? What does this say about his present state of mind? What has the jewelry come to symbolize overall?
2. In Chapter 7, the reader learns more about Childan through his dialogue with the Kasouras and through a further glimpse into his inner thoughts. What do we learn about his political and cultural views? What does this say about his character? Are his views justified? Has your opinion of him changed at all since you first met him in Chapter 1?
3. Why is Tagomi shocked when the elderly man shows up for the meeting with Baynes? What concerns does Tagomi share with him? What is the visitor's reaction to these concerns?
4. As her concern about Joe and his real identity and intentions grow, Juliana's thoughts revert to Frank. First, she thinks, "Frank. Help me. I'm into something I don't understand." A bit later she informs Joe, "My husband is a Jew." What does this suggest about her feelings about Frank? What is further revealed about her character?
5. Juliana's words and thoughts seem jumbled and senseless at one point in Chapter 13 as she says things like, " Hair creates bear who removes spots in nakedness." and "However, only woman." What is the cause of this gibberish and disorientation? Do you feel this type of dialogue enhances or distracts from the storyline? Why?
6. The Kasouras seem to be obsessed with the American way and their American guest and go out of their way to treat him as an equal. How is this demonstrated? What aspect of early 1960s America does this reflect?
7. Toward the end of Chapter 14, Reiss comes to visit Tagomi. What is the purpose of his visit? How does Tagomi react to this? What is this further revealing about Tagomi's character in light of the conflicts he has been facing, both externally and internally?
8. Chapter 10 focuses on the internal and external conflicts faced by Baynes. What are these conflicts? What do they suggest about his character?
9. Back in the park, Tagomi thinks of his perception of the world as an optical distortion saying, "our space and our time creations of our own psyche, and when these momentarily falter ... all sense of balance is gone." What does this mean? How does it relate to Tagomi's present state of mind?
10. What similarities can be seen between Tagomi's situation, actions, and reactions as Chapter 12 ends and those of Juliana as Chapter 13 ends?
This section contains 1,578 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)