|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, how do Paul and Betty react to Childan's comments about Abendsen's theories?
(a) They report him to the officials.
(b) They voice their disagreement.
(c) They worry he will be persecuted.
(d) They realize they have an ally.
2. Why is Frank petrified when the police call him Fink?
(a) They know he informed on Reiss.
(b) He will be sent back to Germany.
(c) They have him confused with a wanted criminal.
(d) He has put Juliana in danger.
3. As Chapter 14 opens, what is Tagomi doing?
(a) Hopelessly wandering the city.
(b) Sadly packing his belongings.
(c) Seeking vom Meere's help.
(d) Plotting to get revenge.
4. In Chapter 12, what happens while Tagomi and his visitors meet in his office?
(a) Ramsey is caught listening in.
(b) He is informed of a bomb scare.
(c) He receives a call from Reiss.
(d) Armed guards come storming in.
5. In Chapter 13, in the hotel room, how does Juliana settle her dispute with Joe?
(a) By escaping through a bathroom window.
(b) By agreeing to help with his plan.
(c) By giving him Frank's address.
(d) By slitting his throat with a razor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Joe admit to really being career-wise?
2. What does Tagomi fear about The Oracle that has him so upset?
3. In Chapter 9, where does Joe suggest he and Juliana go?
4. What does the raised eyebrow and slight smile Childan detects on Paul's face after having demanded an apology from him suggest?
5. When Tagomi inquires about General Tedeki in Chapter 14, he learns Tedeki is ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Back in the park, Tagomi thinks of his perception of the world as an optical distortion saying, "our space and our time creations of our own psyche, and when these momentarily falter ... all sense of balance is gone." What does this mean? How does it relate to Tagomi's present state of mind?
2. In Chapter 9, Joe accuses Juliana of being guilty of "worry, fear, and suspicion about him and everything else in the world." In what way is this true? Are her feelings well founded? What might this be foreshadowing?
3. In Chapter 13, when Juliana questions the change in Joe's appearance, he replies, "I'm tired of being a wop." What changes in Joe does she witness? How can his statement be interpreted in more than one way? What is being implied here?
4. Why is Tagomi shocked when the elderly man shows up for the meeting with Baynes? What concerns does Tagomi share with him? What is the visitor's reaction to these concerns?
5. What similarities can be seen between Tagomi's situation, actions, and reactions as Chapter 12 ends and those of Juliana as Chapter 13 ends?
6. Paul's proposal to mass market the Edfrank Jewelry is turned down by Childan, despite the fact this could have made him very wealthy. What has the jewelry come to symbolize to Childan that makes it more important than wealth? How does this realization affect him?
7. Frank thinks Juliana may be able to help him and McCarthy sell their jewelry. He looks at this relationship as being strictly business. What qualities does he see in her that could be helpful? What does this further reveal about her character? Do you feel this is the real reason he would like to contact her?
8. Juliana's words and thoughts seem jumbled and senseless at one point in Chapter 13 as she says things like, " Hair creates bear who removes spots in nakedness." and "However, only woman." What is the cause of this gibberish and disorientation? Do you feel this type of dialogue enhances or distracts from the storyline? Why?
9. In Chapter 8, Reiss receives two messages about individuals who have come into the PSA. What does he learn? What can we assume as a result?
10. Reiss speaks about the "power of fiction" and sees The Grasshopper Lies Heavy as dangerous. In what way can it be dangerous?
This section contains 1,435 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)