|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is different about Joe's hair when he comes out of the barbershop?
(a) It is hidden by a wig.
(b) It is short and blond.
(c) It is straightened and trimmed.
(d) It is completely shaved off.
2. How does Childan feel about the offer made by Paul's business associates?
3. As Chapter 7 closes, what gives Childan a feeling of "excitement and anticipation?"
(a) His future with the Kasouras.
(b) The rumors of a civil war.
(c) The selection of the new German leader.
(d) The new directions his business is taking.
4. What about Joe surprises Juliana as Chapter 13 opens?
(a) His abrupt departure.
(b) His questionable guests.
(c) His mysterious phone call.
(d) His demanding behavior.
5. When Tagomi inquires about General Tedeki in Chapter 14, he learns Tedeki is ________________.
(a) Still in his building.
(b) On his way back to Tokyo.
(c) Enjoying a deserved retirement.
(d) In a German prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of Chapter 7, what is Childan's reason for being at the home of the Kasouras?
2. What does Joe tell Juliana was the reason he picked her to be with him?
3. In Chapter 12, why has Frank decided to quit the jewelry business?
4. Because he feels The Grasshopper Lies Heavy is a dangerous book, what does Reiss think should happen to its author?
5. What does Baynes, really Captain Wegener of the Reich's Naval Counter Intelligence , tell Tagomi about the reason he is in the PSA?
Short Essay Questions
1. Reiss speaks about the "power of fiction" and sees The Grasshopper Lies Heavy as dangerous. In what way can it be dangerous?
2. Paul's proposal to mass market the Edfrank Jewelry is turned down by Childan, despite the fact this could have made him very wealthy. What has the jewelry come to symbolize to Childan that makes it more important than wealth? How does this realization affect him?
3. Back in the park, Tagomi thinks of his perception of the world as an optical distortion saying, "our space and our time creations of our own psyche, and when these momentarily falter ... all sense of balance is gone." What does this mean? How does it relate to Tagomi's present state of mind?
4. In Chapter 9, Joe accuses Juliana of being guilty of "worry, fear, and suspicion about him and everything else in the world." In what way is this true? Are her feelings well founded? What might this be foreshadowing?
5. Frank thinks Juliana may be able to help him and McCarthy sell their jewelry. He looks at this relationship as being strictly business. What qualities does he see in her that could be helpful? What does this further reveal about her character? Do you feel this is the real reason he would like to contact her?
6. In Chapter 7, the reader learns more about Childan through his dialogue with the Kasouras and through a further glimpse into his inner thoughts. What do we learn about his political and cultural views? What does this say about his character? Are his views justified? Has your opinion of him changed at all since you first met him in Chapter 1?
7. How has Tagomi's most prized possession a "perfectly preserved U.S. 1860 Civil War Colt .44, a treasured collector's item" changed in significance as the story progresses?
8. In Chapter 13, when Juliana questions the change in Joe's appearance, he replies, "I'm tired of being a wop." What changes in Joe does she witness? How can his statement be interpreted in more than one way? What is being implied here?
9. As her concern about Joe and his real identity and intentions grow, Juliana's thoughts revert to Frank. First, she thinks, "Frank. Help me. I'm into something I don't understand." A bit later she informs Joe, "My husband is a Jew." What does this suggest about her feelings about Frank? What is further revealed about her character?
10. In Chapter 8, Reiss receives two messages about individuals who have come into the PSA. What does he learn? What can we assume as a result?
This section contains 1,567 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)