|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tagomi do to spite Reiss?
(a) Reports him to the Third Reich.
(b) Makes an appointment with vom Meere.
(c) Communicates only through his assistant.
(d) Signs for the release of Frank.
2. After McCarthy shows Childan the Edfrank jewelry, Childan decides to _________________.
(a) Use it as a window display.
(b) Take it on consignment.
(c) Rent a space in a shop.
(d) Buy the entire stock.
3. In Chapter 8, who is Police Chief vom Meere looking for when he calls Reiss's office?
(a) The head of W-M Corporation.
(b) A high official of the Trade Mission.
(c) An undercover Jew of the Abwehr.
(d) A candidate under consideration for chancellor.
4. Why does Wegener give the cigarette case to Tedeki?
(a) It symbolizes the union of Germany and Japan.
(b) It contains proof of his message.
(c) It is to be used to signal success.
(d) It exemplifies the latest in scientific invention.
5. What is different about Joe's hair when he comes out of the barbershop?
(a) It is completely shaved off.
(b) It is hidden by a wig.
(c) It is short and blond.
(d) It is straightened and trimmed.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter 7 closes, what gives Childan a feeling of "excitement and anticipation?"
2. How does Childan feel about the offer made by Paul's business associates?
3. What does vom Meere intend to do to Wegener after his men surround him?
4. As Chapter 10 closes, how does Tagomi's message from the I Ching come true?
5. What does Baynes, really Captain Wegener of the Reich's Naval Counter Intelligence , tell Tagomi about the reason he is in the PSA?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 10 focuses on the internal and external conflicts faced by Baynes. What are these conflicts? What do they suggest about his character?
2. When the police approach Frank and arrest him, Frank thinks, "This is what the times require of us." What does this quote mean? What is the real reason Frank is being arrested? How does this arrest in this society reflect the quote?
3. Reiss speaks about the "power of fiction" and sees The Grasshopper Lies Heavy as dangerous. In what way can it be dangerous?
4. In Chapter 8, Reiss receives two messages about individuals who have come into the PSA. What does he learn? What can we assume as a result?
5. In Chapter 9, Joe accuses Juliana of being guilty of "worry, fear, and suspicion about him and everything else in the world." In what way is this true? Are her feelings well founded? What might this be foreshadowing?
6. The Kasouras seem to be obsessed with the American way and their American guest and go out of their way to treat him as an equal. How is this demonstrated? What aspect of early 1960s America does this reflect?
7. In Chapter 8, upon entering the Kasoura neighborhood, Childan thinks to himself, "I do not belong here." In what way is this statement true? What does the author draw upon from actual history to depict this scene?
8. How has Tagomi's most prized possession a "perfectly preserved U.S. 1860 Civil War Colt .44, a treasured collector's item" changed in significance as the story progresses?
9. What similarities can be seen between Tagomi's situation, actions, and reactions as Chapter 12 ends and those of Juliana as Chapter 13 ends?
10. Why is Tagomi shocked when the elderly man shows up for the meeting with Baynes? What concerns does Tagomi share with him? What is the visitor's reaction to these concerns?
This section contains 1,454 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)