|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what dilemma does Wegener's suggested plan of action present to the Japanese?
(a) Losing territorial rights to maintain independence.
(b) Assisting evil to gain peace.
(c) Denying faith to achieve power.
(d) Permitting German law to advance technology.
2. In what way does Frank feel Juliana can use her talent to help the Edfrank Jewelry business?
(a) She can help them sell their jewelry.
(b) She can make the shop more efficient.
(c) She can create more attractive pieces.
(d) She can bring in more financial backing.
3. What does Tagomi fear about The Oracle that has him so upset?
(a) It has outlived its usefulness.
(b) It has manipulated him to betray his country.
(c) It has given up on mankind.
(d) It has made a fool of him.
4. In Chapter 8, what disguised personage is Reiss alerted to through a radiogram from his superiors?
(a) A Japanese general.
(b) A German official.
(c) An American businessman.
(d) An Italian diplomat.
5. What feeling best describes Juliana's reaction to Joe's explanation about his cash supply?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juliana do after she leaves the hotel?
2. What does the conversation between Childan and the Kasouras tell the reader has happened to the most humanitarian of the candidates for new Chancellor, von Schirach?
3. After telling Tagomi he can't return his Colt .44, what does Childan promise him the jewelry he buys will bring him?
4. As the dinner and the conversations in Chapter 7 continue, what realization does Childan come to about the Kasouras and all Japanese?
5. While Tagomi studies the jewelry he purchased, what does he come to understand as the real power of a true artist?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 13, when Juliana questions the change in Joe's appearance, he replies, "I'm tired of being a wop." What changes in Joe does she witness? How can his statement be interpreted in more than one way? What is being implied here?
2. In response to Paul's return of the jewelry, it is said that "long habit had caused Childan to suppress any show of authentic feelings ... He could sense it there..the mask." What is this saying about Childan? What other characters do we find wearing "masks"? Why? What does this further say about this society in general?
3. As her concern about Joe and his real identity and intentions grow, Juliana's thoughts revert to Frank. First, she thinks, "Frank. Help me. I'm into something I don't understand." A bit later she informs Joe, "My husband is a Jew." What does this suggest about her feelings about Frank? What is further revealed about her character?
4. In Chapter 8, upon entering the Kasoura neighborhood, Childan thinks to himself, "I do not belong here." In what way is this statement true? What does the author draw upon from actual history to depict this scene?
5. Reiss speaks about the "power of fiction" and sees The Grasshopper Lies Heavy as dangerous. In what way can it be dangerous?
6. Back in the park, Tagomi thinks of his perception of the world as an optical distortion saying, "our space and our time creations of our own psyche, and when these momentarily falter ... all sense of balance is gone." What does this mean? How does it relate to Tagomi's present state of mind?
7. Paul's proposal to mass market the Edfrank Jewelry is turned down by Childan, despite the fact this could have made him very wealthy. What has the jewelry come to symbolize to Childan that makes it more important than wealth? How does this realization affect him?
8. Wegener speaks of the political situation of the Third Reich and its plans for Japan. As he explains what the Japanese must do to protect their own interests and country, Tagomi grows more and more upset. Why, if Wegener is trying to help, is Tagomi so disturbed?
9. Vom Meere tells Reiss he received an anonymous phone call from a Japanese official regarding an appointment with a Swedish industrialist. Who most likely made this call? Why? How does this later impact on him?
10. Tagomi buys a piece of Edfrank Jewelry at Childan's suggestion. What selling angle does Childan use that convinces Tagomi to buy it? What does Tagomi hope to get from this purchase? What does this say about his present state of mind? What has the jewelry come to symbolize overall?
This section contains 1,563 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)