|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Baynes's thoughts tell the reader about Mr. Yatabe at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) He is a business executive.
(b) He is in the SD.
(c) Tagomi already knows him.
(d) Baynes works for him.
2. What does the conversation between Childan and the Kasouras tell the reader has happened to the most humanitarian of the candidates for new Chancellor, von Schirach?
(a) He has been imprisoned.
(b) He has been exiled.
(c) He is in hiding.
(d) He is dead.
3. What does Joe tell Juliana was the reason he picked her to be with him?
(a) He needs a hostage in order to escape.
(b) He thought he deserved a little fun.
(c) She fits the profile of what attracts Abendsen.
(d) She knows where Frank has been hiding.
4. What does Tagomi feel he can no longer do now that his most prized possession has been tainted with evil?
(a) Live in his home.
(b) Oversee trade deals.
(c) Trust anyone.
(d) Be a collector.
5. As Childan sits on the carpet with the Kasouras, what do his thoughts reveal about how he has resolved his earlier merchandise problems?
(a) He is buying from Wyndam-Matson.
(b) He is moving to another location.
(c) He is finding a new supplier.
(d) He is getting reimbursed by Calvin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chapter 9 reveal about how the earlier incident at Childan's store has left him feeling?
2. As Chapter 14 opens, what is Tagomi doing?
3. What is Frank doing as Chapter 14 ends?
4. Why does Wegener give the cigarette case to Tedeki?
5. At the end of Chapter 14, where is Tagomi?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, the reader learns more about Childan through his dialogue with the Kasouras and through a further glimpse into his inner thoughts. What do we learn about his political and cultural views? What does this say about his character? Are his views justified? Has your opinion of him changed at all since you first met him in Chapter 1?
2. Back in the park, Tagomi thinks of his perception of the world as an optical distortion saying, "our space and our time creations of our own psyche, and when these momentarily falter ... all sense of balance is gone." What does this mean? How does it relate to Tagomi's present state of mind?
3. When the police approach Frank and arrest him, Frank thinks, "This is what the times require of us." What does this quote mean? What is the real reason Frank is being arrested? How does this arrest in this society reflect the quote?
4. How has Tagomi's most prized possession a "perfectly preserved U.S. 1860 Civil War Colt .44, a treasured collector's item" changed in significance as the story progresses?
5. Toward the end of Chapter 14, Reiss comes to visit Tagomi. What is the purpose of his visit? How does Tagomi react to this? What is this further revealing about Tagomi's character in light of the conflicts he has been facing, both externally and internally?
6. Frank thinks Juliana may be able to help him and McCarthy sell their jewelry. He looks at this relationship as being strictly business. What qualities does he see in her that could be helpful? What does this further reveal about her character? Do you feel this is the real reason he would like to contact her?
7. In Chapter 13, when Juliana questions the change in Joe's appearance, he replies, "I'm tired of being a wop." What changes in Joe does she witness? How can his statement be interpreted in more than one way? What is being implied here?
8. Vom Meere tells Reiss he received an anonymous phone call from a Japanese official regarding an appointment with a Swedish industrialist. Who most likely made this call? Why? How does this later impact on him?
9. In Chapter 8, upon entering the Kasoura neighborhood, Childan thinks to himself, "I do not belong here." In what way is this statement true? What does the author draw upon from actual history to depict this scene?
10. In response to Paul's return of the jewelry, it is said that "long habit had caused Childan to suppress any show of authentic feelings ... He could sense it there..the mask." What is this saying about Childan? What other characters do we find wearing "masks"? Why? What does this further say about this society in general?
This section contains 1,662 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)