|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Chapter 10 closes, how does Tagomi's message from the I Ching come true?
(a) His office has been wiretapped.
(b) Mr. Yatabe has finally arrived.
(c) Ramsey is actually the spy.
(d) Childan's gift has been delivered.
2. What is different about Joe's hair when he comes out of the barbershop?
(a) It is straightened and trimmed.
(b) It is short and blond.
(c) It is completely shaved off.
(d) It is hidden by a wig.
3. In Chapter 12, what dilemma does Wegener's suggested plan of action present to the Japanese?
(a) Assisting evil to gain peace.
(b) Permitting German law to advance technology.
(c) Denying faith to achieve power.
(d) Losing territorial rights to maintain independence.
4. What does Tagomi fear about The Oracle that has him so upset?
(a) It has manipulated him to betray his country.
(b) It has outlived its usefulness.
(c) It has made a fool of him.
(d) It has given up on mankind.
5. After McCarthy shows Childan the Edfrank jewelry, Childan decides to _________________.
(a) Rent a space in a shop.
(b) Take it on consignment.
(c) Buy the entire stock.
(d) Use it as a window display.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of Chapter 10, what is Baynes's thinking his private meeting in Tagomi's office could mean for him?
2. What do Juliana's questions about Joe's shirts and his knowledge of the valet service suggest she is thinking about Joe?
3. As Childan sits on the carpet with the Kasouras, what do his thoughts reveal about how he has resolved his earlier merchandise problems?
4. What does the discussion of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy lead Joe and Juliana to do?
5. What about Joe surprises Juliana as Chapter 13 opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 8, upon entering the Kasoura neighborhood, Childan thinks to himself, "I do not belong here." In what way is this statement true? What does the author draw upon from actual history to depict this scene?
2. Tagomi buys a piece of Edfrank Jewelry at Childan's suggestion. What selling angle does Childan use that convinces Tagomi to buy it? What does Tagomi hope to get from this purchase? What does this say about his present state of mind? What has the jewelry come to symbolize overall?
3. Frank thinks Juliana may be able to help him and McCarthy sell their jewelry. He looks at this relationship as being strictly business. What qualities does he see in her that could be helpful? What does this further reveal about her character? Do you feel this is the real reason he would like to contact her?
4. Why is Tagomi shocked when the elderly man shows up for the meeting with Baynes? What concerns does Tagomi share with him? What is the visitor's reaction to these concerns?
5. When the police approach Frank and arrest him, Frank thinks, "This is what the times require of us." What does this quote mean? What is the real reason Frank is being arrested? How does this arrest in this society reflect the quote?
6. Paul's proposal to mass market the Edfrank Jewelry is turned down by Childan, despite the fact this could have made him very wealthy. What has the jewelry come to symbolize to Childan that makes it more important than wealth? How does this realization affect him?
7. Toward the end of Chapter 14, Reiss comes to visit Tagomi. What is the purpose of his visit? How does Tagomi react to this? What is this further revealing about Tagomi's character in light of the conflicts he has been facing, both externally and internally?
8. The Kasouras seem to be obsessed with the American way and their American guest and go out of their way to treat him as an equal. How is this demonstrated? What aspect of early 1960s America does this reflect?
9. As Juliana continues to read The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, the reader learns more of its contents. What are some ways Abendsen has changed the history of his world? What do Juliana's and Joe's reactions to these changes say about each of them?
10. Juliana's words and thoughts seem jumbled and senseless at one point in Chapter 13 as she says things like, " Hair creates bear who removes spots in nakedness." and "However, only woman." What is the cause of this gibberish and disorientation? Do you feel this type of dialogue enhances or distracts from the storyline? Why?
This section contains 1,616 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)