|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, in the hotel room, how does Juliana settle her dispute with Joe?
(a) By escaping through a bathroom window.
(b) By slitting his throat with a razor.
(c) By agreeing to help with his plan.
(d) By giving him Frank's address.
2. According to Abendsen's novel, what problem has been solved as a result of the Allies' victory?
(a) Religious differences.
(b) British colonization.
(c) American racism.
(d) Global warming.
3. Why does Reiss resent his orders to cooperate with the police?
(a) He feels it is a waste of time.
(b) Vom Meere has spread lies about him.
(c) Vom Meere has gone over his head.
(d) He opposes the leader chosen by the Reich.
4. As Childan sits on the carpet with the Kasouras, what do his thoughts reveal about how he has resolved his earlier merchandise problems?
(a) He is getting reimbursed by Calvin.
(b) He is moving to another location.
(c) He is finding a new supplier.
(d) He is buying from Wyndam-Matson.
5. What about Joe surprises Juliana as Chapter 13 opens?
(a) His demanding behavior.
(b) His questionable guests.
(c) His mysterious phone call.
(d) His abrupt departure.
Short Answer Questions
1. The fate of what real group of people does Childan's statement, "I am an outsider in my own country" bring to mind?
2. In Chapter 12, what dilemma does Wegener's suggested plan of action present to the Japanese?
3. Why does Childan feel the Edfrank jewelry could give him an edge on the market?
4. What is Frank doing as Chapter 14 ends?
5. What does the discussion of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy lead Joe and Juliana to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In response to Paul's return of the jewelry, it is said that "long habit had caused Childan to suppress any show of authentic feelings ... He could sense it there..the mask." What is this saying about Childan? What other characters do we find wearing "masks"? Why? What does this further say about this society in general?
2. Tagomi buys a piece of Edfrank Jewelry at Childan's suggestion. What selling angle does Childan use that convinces Tagomi to buy it? What does Tagomi hope to get from this purchase? What does this say about his present state of mind? What has the jewelry come to symbolize overall?
3. Back in the park, Tagomi thinks of his perception of the world as an optical distortion saying, "our space and our time creations of our own psyche, and when these momentarily falter ... all sense of balance is gone." What does this mean? How does it relate to Tagomi's present state of mind?
4. In Chapter 9, Joe accuses Juliana of being guilty of "worry, fear, and suspicion about him and everything else in the world." In what way is this true? Are her feelings well founded? What might this be foreshadowing?
5. As Juliana continues to read The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, the reader learns more of its contents. What are some ways Abendsen has changed the history of his world? What do Juliana's and Joe's reactions to these changes say about each of them?
6. Toward the end of Chapter 14, Reiss comes to visit Tagomi. What is the purpose of his visit? How does Tagomi react to this? What is this further revealing about Tagomi's character in light of the conflicts he has been facing, both externally and internally?
7. In Chapter 8, upon entering the Kasoura neighborhood, Childan thinks to himself, "I do not belong here." In what way is this statement true? What does the author draw upon from actual history to depict this scene?
8. Frank thinks Juliana may be able to help him and McCarthy sell their jewelry. He looks at this relationship as being strictly business. What qualities does he see in her that could be helpful? What does this further reveal about her character? Do you feel this is the real reason he would like to contact her?
9. What similarities can be seen between Tagomi's situation, actions, and reactions as Chapter 12 ends and those of Juliana as Chapter 13 ends?
10. How has Tagomi's most prized possession a "perfectly preserved U.S. 1860 Civil War Colt .44, a treasured collector's item" changed in significance as the story progresses?
This section contains 1,589 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)