Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What contradiction does the Oracle's message predict that leaves Frank confused?
(a) Business success and poverty.
(b) Good fortune and doom.
(c) Love's return and loss.
(d) Long life and death.
2. What does Juliana feel the Germans have made little advancement in despite having gone to Mars?
3. What does Tagomi receive that makes him become suspicious of Baynes's real intentions?
(a) An unsigned letter.
(b) An anonymous phone call.
(c) A coded message.
(d) A military briefing.
4. In Chapter 6, Tagomi is now convinced that Baynes really is ___________.
(a) An escaped prisoner.
(b) An allied convert.
(c) A German national.
(d) An inspection agent.
5. What upsets Tagomi causing him to leave the special session of the Foreign Office?
(a) The evil in the world.
(b) Loss of German supremacy.
(c) Appetizers he was served.
(d) A diagnosis he earlier received.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juliana suggest to Joe is the reason for his overall bitter attitude?
2. How is the city of San Francisco described?
3. When Childan returns to his office in Chapter 4, who does the client waiting for him claim to represent?
4. Joe's comments about the war and the Germans show that he is opposed to ___________.
5. What word would sum up Frank's opinion of McCarthy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what is further learned about the book The Grasshopper Lies Heavy from Rita's conversation with Wyndam-Matson? How does this conversation create a conflict between them?
2. Despite initiating a relationship with Joe, whom she finds attractive, Juliana begins to feel uncomfortable around him. Why? What might this be foreshadowing?
3. What similarities can be seen between Tagomi's situation, actions, and reactions as Chapter 12 ends and those of Juliana as Chapter 13 ends?
4. How is the mystery client that comes to place an expensive order with Childan described? What appears to be his real purpose? Who can you assume this client to be, and why is he doing this?
5. Wegener speaks of the political situation of the Third Reich and its plans for Japan. As he explains what the Japanese must do to protect their own interests and country, Tagomi grows more and more upset. Why, if Wegener is trying to help, is Tagomi so disturbed?
6. What new insight does Chapter 5 give the reader into the character of Baynes? What might this be foreshadowing?
7. Vom Meere tells Reiss he received an anonymous phone call from a Japanese official regarding an appointment with a Swedish industrialist. Who most likely made this call? Why? How does this later impact on him?
8. Chapter 10 focuses on the internal and external conflicts faced by Baynes. What are these conflicts? What do they suggest about his character?
9. Juliana is surprised to learn that Abendsen no longer lives in the High Castle. Why did he live there originally? What did his life there seem to symbolize? Why has he moved? What is significant about his move?
10. In Chapter 5, Tagomi tells Baynes that many books like the I Ching and The Bible are alive. What does he mean by this? How does this appear to be supported in the text up to the close of this chapter ?
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)