|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Wyndam-Matson, how does bringing up the past tend to make people feel?
2. According to Childan, what is special about some of the people his shop gives him the opportunity to meet?
(a) They can raise his social status.
(b) They see him as a man.
(c) They are willing to help others.
(d) They share in his political views.
3. What Axis power is most accepting of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
4. Because he is Swedish, who does Tagomi believe Mr. Baynes will probably politically favor?
5. What words best describe how Joe views the British?
(a) Cowardly and defenseless.
(b) Brutal and murderous.
(c) Dishonest and uncommitted.
(d) Shrewd and frightening.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the pincos of Sacramento described as being?
2. What does Rita, Wyndam-Matson's girlfriend, suggest that he should do to handle the problem which he learned about from Calvin?
3. What does the mystery client encourage Childan to report?
4. What has caused Africa to become a wasteland?
5. What is rumored about Germany that concerns both Tagomi and Juliana?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the close of Chapter 6, we find Frank and McCarthy excited about starting their jewelry business. Despite this, Frank has some real concerns. Why? Are they legitimate?
2. What appears to be the source of Juliana's depression at the start of Chapter 3? Why might this be considered to be ironic?
3. In Chapter 5, Tagomi tells Baynes that many books like the I Ching and The Bible are alive. What does he mean by this? How does this appear to be supported in the text up to the close of this chapter ?
4. Chapter 1 introduces the setting of the novel as being in San Francisco twenty years after World War II. What signs are there that there has been a different outcome to this war from the history as we know it?
5. The voice of the radio quotes from The Bible, "What profit it a man if he gain the whole world but in this enterprise lose his soul?" How does this apply to what we have witnessed of this world in Chapter 1?
6. When told by the university that "there is a regular industry turning out these fakes," Childan gets angry and insists that this is only a rumor. Why is he in such denial even when the proof lies before him?
7. Childan says of the Kasouras, "these new young people, of the rising generation, who did not remember the days before the war or even the war itself, - they were the hope of the world." What is meant by this? How do the Kasouras appear to prove him right?
8. What do we learn about Hawthorne Abendsen, the author of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy? How does Juliana feel about this novel as compared to Joe?
9. In the novel's society, outward appearance is an important part of being accepted. How is this reflected through the characters of Childan and Tagomi as they prepare for important meetings? Do you think there is truth in this practice even today?
10. What new insight does Chapter 5 give the reader into the character of Baynes? What might this be foreshadowing?
This section contains 1,391 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)