|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ramsey feel about Tagomi's request that he select the gift for Baynes?
2. What is rumored about Germany that concerns both Tagomi and Juliana?
(a) Germany is about to invade the Pacific States.
(b) Germany is about to break communication channels.
(c) Germany is aligning itself with China.
(d) Germany is going to lose its leader.
3. What does Frank's question to the I Ching about Juliana suggest?
(a) He wants to avenge her captor.
(b) He wishes they were still together.
(c) He feels ashamed he never approached her.
(d) He regrets putting wealth above her love.
4. How are Tagomi and Childan similar?
(a) They are feared by their peers.
(b) They are concerned with outward appearances.
(c) They are seeking social equality.
(d) They are involved in secret missions.
5. What does Baynes say they must wait for before he and Tagomi can meet?
(a) The arrival of an economic expert.
(b) Word that the Japanese will pay him.
(c) Assurance of military protection.
(d) An elderly man from the Homeland to arrive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Frank 's intentions when he returns to the factory?
2. What Joe does suggest that Abendsen's living in a place called The High Castle reflects?
3. What is the Nuremberg Law responsible for as revealed through Juliana?
4. In Chapter 6, what does Juliana realize Joe has done when she returns to her apartment?
5. What does the order in which languages are used in making airline announcements symbolize?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Frank speaks of Gresham's Law. What does this law suggest? How does Childan's reaction to the discovery about some of his merchandise reflect his understanding of the importance of this law?
2. What do we learn about Hawthorne Abendsen, the author of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy? How does Juliana feel about this novel as compared to Joe?
3. While at a special session about the possible candidates for the new German Chancellor, Tagomi becomes ill and leaves. What factors cause him to take the chance of being shamed by his abrupt departure?
4. Despite initiating a relationship with Joe, whom she finds attractive, Juliana begins to feel uncomfortable around him. Why? What might this be foreshadowing?
5. In the novel's society, outward appearance is an important part of being accepted. How is this reflected through the characters of Childan and Tagomi as they prepare for important meetings? Do you think there is truth in this practice even today?
6. How is the mystery client that comes to place an expensive order with Childan described? What appears to be his real purpose? Who can you assume this client to be, and why is he doing this?
7. In Chapter 1, the author introduces the characters of Mr. Tagomi and the Kasouras as clients of Childan through the juxtaposition of conversations he has with each. What do we learn about each as a result? How do these clients compare?
8. In Chapter 3, what suggestion is the author making by putting Hitler in a sanitarium and then noting that the present world in this novel is the product of his mind? What similarities are seen in the thoughts of Juliana and Baynes to support this view?
9. Chapter 1 introduces the setting of the novel as being in San Francisco twenty years after World War II. What signs are there that there has been a different outcome to this war from the history as we know it?
10. In Chapter 5, Tagomi tells Baynes that many books like the I Ching and The Bible are alive. What does he mean by this? How does this appear to be supported in the text up to the close of this chapter ?
This section contains 1,477 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)