|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Wyndam-Matson certain of when he hears Calvin's complaint?
(a) Childan is only looking for money.
(b) Frank and McCarthy are behind this.
(c) Calvin will go to the police.
(d) He will never be found out.
2. What word best describes Wyndam-Matson's reaction when Rita tells him about The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
3. What is revealed about Baynes when the young driver tries to make conversation with him in Chapter 5?
(a) He doesn't understand Japanese.
(b) He doesn't like Orientals.
(c) He doesn't acknowledge inferiors.
(d) He doesn't speak Swedish.
4. What best describes the territory of the Rocky Mountain States?
5. When Childan returns to his office in Chapter 4, who does the client waiting for him claim to represent?
(a) An agent from the Trade Commission.
(b) A businessman from the Middle East.
(c) An Admiral of the Imperial Army.
(d) A leader of the Third Reich.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what does The Oracle predict that further distresses Tagomi?
2. What does McCarthy suggest is the reason Frank is initially reluctant to start his own business?
3. What words best describe how Joe views the British?
4. What is the Nuremberg Law responsible for as revealed through Juliana?
5. While visiting with Tagomi in Chapter 5, what does Baynes feel regret about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Childan says of the Kasouras, "these new young people, of the rising generation, who did not remember the days before the war or even the war itself, - they were the hope of the world." What is meant by this? How do the Kasouras appear to prove him right?
2. What do we learn about Hawthorne Abendsen, the author of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy? How does Juliana feel about this novel as compared to Joe?
3. Despite initiating a relationship with Joe, whom she finds attractive, Juliana begins to feel uncomfortable around him. Why? What might this be foreshadowing?
4. The voice of the radio quotes from The Bible, "What profit it a man if he gain the whole world but in this enterprise lose his soul?" How does this apply to what we have witnessed of this world in Chapter 1?
5. At the close of Chapter 6, we find Frank and McCarthy excited about starting their jewelry business. Despite this, Frank has some real concerns. Why? Are they legitimate?
6. What is Childan's plan when he makes an appointment with his supplier, Ray Calvin? What does this further reveal about his character? Do you feel this is a realistic reaction?
7. Juliana responds to the radio commentary about the potential new Chancellor by saying, "Those murderers are talked about as if they are like the rest of us." Joe responds,"There isn't anything they've done that we wouldn't have done if we'd been in their places." What does Joe mean by this? What proof has Joe offered to support his opinion?
8. What do we learn about the German impact on television production and programming in Chapter 6? Of what significance is this to the storyline?
9. How is the mystery client that comes to place an expensive order with Childan described? What appears to be his real purpose? Who can you assume this client to be, and why is he doing this?
10. One way an author can develop character is through descriptions of physical appearance and behavior. What descriptions does the author give of Wyndam-Matson? How do these descriptions reflect the way he runs his business in regard to such things as his treatment of employees, production, and such?
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)