|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it about Ramsey that makes Tagomi unwilling to share all the information about Baynes with him?
(a) He is known to be a gossip.
(b) He is considered lower in social status.
(c) He is suspected to be a spy.
(d) He is said to be friends with Baynes.
2. As Chapter 6 closes, what does the manila envelope that Frank and McCarthy receive contain?
(a) A manufacturer's contract.
(b) A certified check.
(c) A court order.
(d) A government permit.
3. How does Wyndam-Matson's feel about "historicity"?
(a) It is hurtful.
(b) It is meaningless.
(c) It is contradictory.
(d) It is inescapable.
4. In Chapter 6, Tagomi is now convinced that Baynes really is ___________.
(a) An escaped prisoner.
(b) A German national.
(c) An inspection agent.
(d) An allied convert.
5. Frank sees the Edfrank Jewelry business as, perhaps, a way of ____________.
(a) Improving racial relations.
(b) Remaining socially anonymous.
(c) Avenging Wyndam-Matson.
(d) Getting Juliana back.
Short Answer Questions
1. In discussing Abendsen's novel, what does Juliana point out about Joe that makes him angry ?
2. What does McCarthy suggest is the reason Frank is initially reluctant to start his own business?
3. How have Frank's feelings for the Japanese changed over the years?
4. To what does Tagomi attribute Ramsey' s tanning by sun lamp?
5. What does Childan learn about the carrier ship Syokaku from the Tokyo Herald?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what is further learned about the book The Grasshopper Lies Heavy from Rita's conversation with Wyndam-Matson? How does this conversation create a conflict between them?
2. What do we learn about the German impact on television production and programming in Chapter 6? Of what significance is this to the storyline?
3. Childan says of the Kasouras, "these new young people, of the rising generation, who did not remember the days before the war or even the war itself, - they were the hope of the world." What is meant by this? How do the Kasouras appear to prove him right?
4. One way an author can develop character is through descriptions of physical appearance and behavior. What descriptions does the author give of Wyndam-Matson? How do these descriptions reflect the way he runs his business in regard to such things as his treatment of employees, production, and such?
5. Compare the reactions of Childan, Calvin and Wyndam-Matson to the discovery of the fake guns. What point does the author seem to be making about the business world as he sees it?
6. While consulting the I Ching, Frank thinks of how "his life was bound up with all other lives and particles in the universe." What does this mean? How might it be applied to Chapter 1 and serve as foreshadowing for the rest of the novel?
7. In Chapter 5, Tagomi tells Baynes that many books like the I Ching and The Bible are alive. What does he mean by this? How does this appear to be supported in the text up to the close of this chapter ?
8. Despite initiating a relationship with Joe, whom she finds attractive, Juliana begins to feel uncomfortable around him. Why? What might this be foreshadowing?
9. How do Childan's and Frank's perception of the Germans and the Japanese differ? What motivates these views?
10. One aspect of science fiction is that there is an element of the real world in it. What similarities can be seen in World War II and its aftermath as related in the High Castle and the history as we know it?
This section contains 1,431 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)