|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about Frank makes it difficult for him to move to a new territory?
(a) His limited skills.
(b) His ethnic background.
(c) His older age.
(d) His criminal background.
2. What best describes the territory of the Rocky Mountain States?
3. What image set forth in The Grasshopper Lies Heavy seems to upset Joe the most?
(a) Italy as a traitor.
(b) Germany as a hero.
(c) The USA as a weakling.
(d) Japan as greedy.
4. According to Wyndam-Matson, how does bringing up the past tend to make people feel?
5. What does Frank decide to do as a result of the Oracle's message?
(a) Seek Childan's business advice.
(b) Send a message to Juliana.
(c) Beg to get his job back.
(d) Live life as best he can.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tagomi receive that makes him become suspicious of Baynes's real intentions?
2. Why has Paul Kasoura come to San Francisco?
3. What is the Nuremberg Law responsible for as revealed through Juliana?
4. Who does Rita note her parents said would have won WW II if he had lived?
5. What word best describes Wyndam-Matson's reaction when Rita tells him about The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
Short Essay Questions
1. As her concern about Joe and his real identity and intentions grow, Juliana's thoughts revert to Frank. First, she thinks, "Frank. Help me. I'm into something I don't understand." A bit later she informs Joe, "My husband is a Jew." What does this suggest about her feelings about Frank? What is further revealed about her character?
2. What do we learn about the German impact on television production and programming in Chapter 6? Of what significance is this to the storyline?
3. Tagomi buys a piece of Edfrank Jewelry at Childan's suggestion. What selling angle does Childan use that convinces Tagomi to buy it? What does Tagomi hope to get from this purchase? What does this say about his present state of mind? What has the jewelry come to symbolize overall?
4. How does Baynes react to Tagomi's apartment? How do his thoughts and reactions to Tagomi's possessions and comments further define his character?
5. Chapter 10 focuses on the internal and external conflicts faced by Baynes. What are these conflicts? What do they suggest about his character?
6. What is Childan's plan when he makes an appointment with his supplier, Ray Calvin? What does this further reveal about his character? Do you feel this is a realistic reaction?
7. Juliana is surprised to learn that Abendsen no longer lives in the High Castle. Why did he live there originally? What did his life there seem to symbolize? Why has he moved? What is significant about his move?
8. How do Childan's and Frank's perception of the Germans and the Japanese differ? What motivates these views?
9. In the novel's society, outward appearance is an important part of being accepted. How is this reflected through the characters of Childan and Tagomi as they prepare for important meetings? Do you think there is truth in this practice even today?
10. Juliana's words and thoughts seem jumbled and senseless at one point in Chapter 13 as she says things like, " Hair creates bear who removes spots in nakedness." and "However, only woman." What is the cause of this gibberish and disorientation? Do you feel this type of dialogue enhances or distracts from the storyline? Why?
This section contains 1,468 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)