|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tagomi feel it would be better if his assistant, Ramsey, selected the gift for Baynes?
(a) He is socially active.
(b) He is Swedish bred.
(c) He is native born.
(d) He is artistically inclined.
2. Tagomi expresses his dislike of the German practices toward what group of people?
(a) Foreign visitors.
(b) Industrial workers.
(c) Elderly citizens.
(d) Farm laborers.
3. What Joe does suggest that Abendsen's living in a place called The High Castle reflects?
(a) Wisely seeking a peaceful retreat.
(b) Safely getting a world perspective.
(c) Cowardly escaping adoring readers.
(d) Vainly treating himself as royalty.
4. What best describes the territory of the Rocky Mountain States?
5. What is rumored about Germany that concerns both Tagomi and Juliana?
(a) Germany is about to break communication channels.
(b) Germany is aligning itself with China.
(c) Germany is about to invade the Pacific States.
(d) Germany is going to lose its leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tagomi, what aspect of the German massacre of the Jews caused the Japanese to refuse to participate?
2. What does Frank decide to do as a result of the Oracle's message?
3. What does Frank's use of the I Ching suggest about him?
4. Frank sees the Edfrank Jewelry business as, perhaps, a way of ____________.
5. What does Childan do as a result of what he has learned from the university in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 1 introduces the setting of the novel as being in San Francisco twenty years after World War II. What signs are there that there has been a different outcome to this war from the history as we know it?
2. What does the reader learn about the fate of the Slavs and Africans? In what way is Dick continuing to keep his "fiction" tied to reality? What comment might he be making about some of the realities of true USA history?
3. What is Childan's plan when he makes an appointment with his supplier, Ray Calvin? What does this further reveal about his character? Do you feel this is a realistic reaction?
4. One way an author can develop character is through descriptions of physical appearance and behavior. What descriptions does the author give of Wyndam-Matson? How do these descriptions reflect the way he runs his business in regard to such things as his treatment of employees, production, and such?
5. In Chapter 5, what is further learned about the book The Grasshopper Lies Heavy from Rita's conversation with Wyndam-Matson? How does this conversation create a conflict between them?
6. Bigotry is common and accepted without question in the former United States of Philip Dick's world. How does the author reveal this? What seems to be the reason behind this?
7. In Chapter 3, what suggestion is the author making by putting Hitler in a sanitarium and then noting that the present world in this novel is the product of his mind? What similarities are seen in the thoughts of Juliana and Baynes to support this view?
8. What appears to be the source of Juliana's depression at the start of Chapter 3? Why might this be considered to be ironic?
9. In the novel's society, outward appearance is an important part of being accepted. How is this reflected through the characters of Childan and Tagomi as they prepare for important meetings? Do you think there is truth in this practice even today?
10. How is the mystery client that comes to place an expensive order with Childan described? What appears to be his real purpose? Who can you assume this client to be, and why is he doing this?
This section contains 1,586 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)