|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what does Juliana realize Joe has done when she returns to her apartment?
(a) Gone through her belongings.
(b) Invited over some friends.
(c) Rearranged his delivery schedule.
(d) Missed his truck intentionally.
2. What is Childan in the business of selling?
(a) Local modern art.
(b) Japanese made souvenirs.
(c) Abandoned real estate.
(d) Historic American artifacts.
3. What does Childan do as a result of what he has learned from the university in Chapter 4?
(a) He files an anonymous police report.
(b) He seeks reimbursement from his supplier.
(c) He decides to close his shop.
(d) He hires an armed night watchman.
4. According to Childan, what is special about some of the people his shop gives him the opportunity to meet?
(a) They see him as a man.
(b) They share in his political views.
(c) They are willing to help others.
(d) They can raise his social status.
5. To what does Tagomi attribute Ramsey' s tanning by sun lamp?
(a) His desire to be outside.
(b) His desire to meet pretty women.
(c) His desire to fit in.
(d) His desire to improve his health.
Short Answer Questions
1. In discussing Abendsen's novel, what does Juliana point out about Joe that makes him angry ?
2. How have Frank's feelings for the Japanese changed over the years?
3. What technique is used in Chapter 4 to introduce the reader to the character of Wyndam-Matson?
4. According to Wyndam-Matson, how does bringing up the past tend to make people feel?
5. Who does Rita note her parents said would have won WW II if he had lived?
Short Essay Questions
1. Wyndam-Matson and his girlfriend get into a long discussion about historicity. What is historicity? What point does Wyndam-Matson make about it? How is this idea supported in the novel?
2. What new insight does Chapter 5 give the reader into the character of Baynes? What might this be foreshadowing?
3. What is Childan's plan when he makes an appointment with his supplier, Ray Calvin? What does this further reveal about his character? Do you feel this is a realistic reaction?
4. While consulting the I Ching, Frank thinks of how "his life was bound up with all other lives and particles in the universe." What does this mean? How might it be applied to Chapter 1 and serve as foreshadowing for the rest of the novel?
5. Childan says of the Kasouras, "these new young people, of the rising generation, who did not remember the days before the war or even the war itself, - they were the hope of the world." What is meant by this? How do the Kasouras appear to prove him right?
6. In the novel's society, outward appearance is an important part of being accepted. How is this reflected through the characters of Childan and Tagomi as they prepare for important meetings? Do you think there is truth in this practice even today?
7. How does Baynes react to Tagomi's apartment? How do his thoughts and reactions to Tagomi's possessions and comments further define his character?
8. One way an author can develop character is through descriptions of physical appearance and behavior. What descriptions does the author give of Wyndam-Matson? How do these descriptions reflect the way he runs his business in regard to such things as his treatment of employees, production, and such?
9. What do we learn about the German impact on television production and programming in Chapter 6? Of what significance is this to the storyline?
10. One aspect of science fiction is that there is an element of the real world in it. What similarities can be seen in World War II and its aftermath as related in the High Castle and the history as we know it?
This section contains 1,443 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)