|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has caused Africa to become a wasteland?
(a) Nazi experimentation on humans.
(b) Asian exploitation of resources.
(c) Italian colonization.
(d) American bombing.
2. What does McCarthy tell Frank he has a plan to get for their business?
(a) Financing from their former boss.
(b) Approval from the Japanese Ministry.
(c) Materials from an old friend.
(d) Shop space from an uncle.
3. When Childan returns to his office in Chapter 4, who does the client waiting for him claim to represent?
(a) An Admiral of the Imperial Army.
(b) An agent from the Trade Commission.
(c) A businessman from the Middle East.
(d) A leader of the Third Reich.
4. What does Childan learn about the carrier ship Syokaku from the Tokyo Herald?
(a) It never existed.
(b) It is en route to Germany.
(c) It is docked in Tokyo.
(d) It sunk years ago.
5. In Chapter 6, Tagomi is now convinced that Baynes really is ___________.
(a) An inspection agent.
(b) An escaped prisoner.
(c) A German national.
(d) An allied convert.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the pincos of Sacramento described as being?
2. What word best describes Wyndam-Matson's reaction when Rita tells him about The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
3. What Axis power is most accepting of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
4. What is Wyndam-Matson certain of when he hears Calvin's complaint?
5. While visiting with Tagomi in Chapter 5, what does Baynes feel regret about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Childan says of the Kasouras, "these new young people, of the rising generation, who did not remember the days before the war or even the war itself, - they were the hope of the world." What is meant by this? How do the Kasouras appear to prove him right?
2. While at a special session about the possible candidates for the new German Chancellor, Tagomi becomes ill and leaves. What factors cause him to take the chance of being shamed by his abrupt departure?
3. Despite initiating a relationship with Joe, whom she finds attractive, Juliana begins to feel uncomfortable around him. Why? What might this be foreshadowing?
4. Wyndam-Matson and his girlfriend get into a long discussion about historicity. What is historicity? What point does Wyndam-Matson make about it? How is this idea supported in the novel?
5. What do we learn about the German impact on television production and programming in Chapter 6? Of what significance is this to the storyline?
6. How do Childan's and Frank's perception of the Germans and the Japanese differ? What motivates these views?
7. What do we learn about Hawthorne Abendsen, the author of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy? How does Juliana feel about this novel as compared to Joe?
8. In Chapter 1, the author introduces the characters of Mr. Tagomi and the Kasouras as clients of Childan through the juxtaposition of conversations he has with each. What do we learn about each as a result? How do these clients compare?
9. In Chapter 5, what is further learned about the book The Grasshopper Lies Heavy from Rita's conversation with Wyndam-Matson? How does this conversation create a conflict between them?
10. Compare the reactions of Childan, Calvin and Wyndam-Matson to the discovery of the fake guns. What point does the author seem to be making about the business world as he sees it?
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)