|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the order in which languages are used in making airline announcements symbolize?
(a) Educational priorities.
(b) Multicultural diversity.
(c) Geographic patterns.
(d) Class structure.
2. In Chapter 6, what does Juliana realize Joe has done when she returns to her apartment?
(a) Invited over some friends.
(b) Gone through her belongings.
(c) Missed his truck intentionally.
(d) Rearranged his delivery schedule.
3. After recognizing the significance of Joe's tattoo, what does Juliana realize Joe was part of in World War II?
(a) The Neutral zone.
(b) The Axis Army.
(c) The Allied Army.
(d) The Red Cross.
4. What does Juliana suggest to Joe is the reason for his overall bitter attitude?
(a) His family has disowned him.
(b) His idols are now gone.
(c) His friends have deserted him.
(d) His mentors have been imprisoned.
5. How does the discussion between Joe and Juliana, inspired by Abendsen's novel, leave Juliana feeling?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter 6 closes, what does the manila envelope that Frank and McCarthy receive contain?
2. What does Frank's question to the I Ching about Juliana suggest?
3. Frank sees the Edfrank Jewelry business as, perhaps, a way of ____________.
4. What does Baynes make clear to Tagomi in Chapter 5 about Mr. Yatabe's visit?
5. What upsets Tagomi causing him to leave the special session of the Foreign Office?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what suggestion is the author making by putting Hitler in a sanitarium and then noting that the present world in this novel is the product of his mind? What similarities are seen in the thoughts of Juliana and Baynes to support this view?
2. Chapter 1 introduces the setting of the novel as being in San Francisco twenty years after World War II. What signs are there that there has been a different outcome to this war from the history as we know it?
3. What new insight does Chapter 5 give the reader into the character of Baynes? What might this be foreshadowing?
4. How is the mystery client that comes to place an expensive order with Childan described? What appears to be his real purpose? Who can you assume this client to be, and why is he doing this?
5. What do we learn about the German impact on television production and programming in Chapter 6? Of what significance is this to the storyline?
6. Compare the reactions of Childan, Calvin and Wyndam-Matson to the discovery of the fake guns. What point does the author seem to be making about the business world as he sees it?
7. What appears to be the source of Juliana's depression at the start of Chapter 3? Why might this be considered to be ironic?
8. Childan says of the Kasouras, "these new young people, of the rising generation, who did not remember the days before the war or even the war itself, - they were the hope of the world." What is meant by this? How do the Kasouras appear to prove him right?
9. How does Baynes react to Tagomi's apartment? How do his thoughts and reactions to Tagomi's possessions and comments further define his character?
10. While at a special session about the possible candidates for the new German Chancellor, Tagomi becomes ill and leaves. What factors cause him to take the chance of being shamed by his abrupt departure?
This section contains 1,414 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)