|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feeling best describes Juliana's reaction to Joe's explanation about his cash supply?
2. As Chapter 10 closes, how does Tagomi's message from the I Ching come true?
(a) Childan's gift has been delivered.
(b) His office has been wiretapped.
(c) Mr. Yatabe has finally arrived.
(d) Ramsey is actually the spy.
3. In Chapter 7, why are the police waiting for Childan when he returns home from the dinner?
(a) To arrest him for revolutionary thinking.
(b) To question him about the jewelry he sells.
(c) To get information about the Kasouras.
(d) To have him identify a photo of Frank.
4. In Chapter 11, what does Childan hear regarding Betty Kasoura that disappoints him?
(a) She never cared for Childan.
(b) She is returning to Japan.
(c) She is separating from Paul.
(d) She never received the jewelry.
5. Why does Childan feel the Edfrank jewelry could give him an edge on the market?
(a) It is unique and handmade.
(b) It is common and desirable.
(c) It is cheap and plentiful.
(d) It is mysterious and bold.
6. In Chapter 9, what does Joe admit to really being career-wise?
(a) An armed guard.
(b) A military policeman.
(c) A clothing designer.
(d) A book reviewer.
7. In Chapter 7, how do Paul and Betty react to Childan's comments about Abendsen's theories?
(a) They voice their disagreement.
(b) They report him to the officials.
(c) They worry he will be persecuted.
(d) They realize they have an ally.
8. At the end of Chapter 14, where is Tagomi?
(a) On a park bench.
(b) Leaving his home.
(c) In an ancient temple.
(d) In his office.
9. What word best describes the mood at the Kasouras' home during Childan's visit?
10. When speaking to Betty Kasoura at her home, how is Childan feeling about her?
11. What does Baynes, really Captain Wegener of the Reich's Naval Counter Intelligence , tell Tagomi about the reason he is in the PSA?
(a) He is helping Americans take back their country.
(b) He is replacing Reiss in San Francisco.
(c) He is representing the newly elected Chancellor.
(d) He is acting independently from the Reich.
12. In Chapter 9, where does Joe suggest he and Juliana go?
(a) To New York for better jobs.
(b) To Denver to shop and play.
(c) To Italy to visit his family.
(d) To San Francisco and find Frank.
13. As Chapter 12 closes, what do Wegener and Tedeki realize is the source of Tagomi's despair?
(a) The ruin of his most prized artifact.
(b) His break from his Buddhist beliefs.
(c) His loss of a trusted assistant.
(d) The knowledge that he will be demoted.
14. What does the discussion of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy lead Joe and Juliana to do?
(a) Attend a lecture at the university.
(b) Plan a visit to its author.
(c) Write a letter to the newspaper.
(d) Research Abendsen's life at a library.
15. After having dinner with the Kasouras, Childan says he no longer feels________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reiss find is his main role in the plan to capture Wegener?
2. In what way does Frank feel Juliana can use her talent to help the Edfrank Jewelry business?
3. Tagomi informs Reiss that Reiss's country is about to _________.
4. What are Americans portrayed as doing by the author of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy that impresses Juliana?
5. How does Joe appear when he tries to explain to Juliana what Abendsen is saying in the novel?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)