|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the I Ching tell Juliana when she consults it for advice?
(a) To call Frank.
(b) To notify the police.
(c) To warn Abendsen.
(d) To return to Colorado.
2. As Chapter 10 closes, how does Tagomi's message from the I Ching come true?
(a) Childan's gift has been delivered.
(b) His office has been wiretapped.
(c) Ramsey is actually the spy.
(d) Mr. Yatabe has finally arrived.
3. In Chapter 7, why are the police waiting for Childan when he returns home from the dinner?
(a) To arrest him for revolutionary thinking.
(b) To question him about the jewelry he sells.
(c) To get information about the Kasouras.
(d) To have him identify a photo of Frank.
4. What does Tagomi fear about The Oracle that has him so upset?
(a) It has manipulated him to betray his country.
(b) It has outlived its usefulness.
(c) It has given up on mankind.
(d) It has made a fool of him.
5. What are Americans portrayed as doing by the author of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy that impresses Juliana?
(a) Fighting to free the British.
(b) Helping to erase world suffering.
(c) Succeeding in conquering the world.
(d) Working to eliminate foreign competition.
6. When speaking to Betty Kasoura at her home, how is Childan feeling about her?
7. What is different about Joe's hair when he comes out of the barbershop?
(a) It is hidden by a wig.
(b) It is short and blond.
(c) It is straightened and trimmed.
(d) It is completely shaved off.
8. Toward the end of Chapter 12, what does Tagomi realize about Reiss and vom Meere?
(a) They are eager to help him out.
(b) They are behind Ramsey's defection.
(c) They are responsible for the surprise attack.
(d) They are working undercover for Japan.
9. What does Chapter 9 reveal about how the earlier incident at Childan's store has left him feeling?
(a) Seeking new business contacts.
(b) Questioning personal and business decisions.
(c) Fearful of being alone.
(d) Disillusioned with public officials.
10. As he sits in his office, engrossed in reading The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, what does Reiss suggest is the "power of fiction" ?
(a) Emotional appeal.
(b) Careful phrasing.
(c) Twisted plots.
(d) Realistic imagery.
11. What does the conversation between Childan and the Kasouras tell the reader has happened to the most humanitarian of the candidates for new Chancellor, von Schirach?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He has been exiled.
(c) He is in hiding.
(d) He has been imprisoned.
12. In Chapter 11, what does Paul admit he has come to appreciate about the Edfrank jewelry Childan had given him?
(a) Its artistic design.
(b) Its spiritual value.
(c) Its historic significance.
(d) Its material make-up.
13. As Chapter 14 opens, what is Tagomi doing?
(a) Sadly packing his belongings.
(b) Hopelessly wandering the city.
(c) Plotting to get revenge.
(d) Seeking vom Meere's help.
14. Why does Wegener give the cigarette case to Tedeki?
(a) It contains proof of his message.
(b) It exemplifies the latest in scientific invention.
(c) It symbolizes the union of Germany and Japan.
(d) It is to be used to signal success.
15. As Chapter 12 closes, what do Wegener and Tedeki realize is the source of Tagomi's despair?
(a) The ruin of his most prized artifact.
(b) His loss of a trusted assistant.
(c) His break from his Buddhist beliefs.
(d) The knowledge that he will be demoted.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, why has Frank decided to quit the jewelry business?
2. As the dinner and the conversations in Chapter 7 continue, what realization does Childan come to about the Kasouras and all Japanese?
3. What word best describes the mood at the Kasouras' home during Childan's visit?
4. What about Joe surprises Juliana as Chapter 13 opens?
5. In Chapter 13, in the hotel room, how does Juliana settle her dispute with Joe?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)