|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, how do Paul and Betty react to Childan's comments about Abendsen's theories?
(a) They voice their disagreement.
(b) They realize they have an ally.
(c) They report him to the officials.
(d) They worry he will be persecuted.
2. As Chapter 7 closes, what gives Childan a feeling of "excitement and anticipation?"
(a) The rumors of a civil war.
(b) The new directions his business is taking.
(c) His future with the Kasouras.
(d) The selection of the new German leader.
3. What do Baynes's thoughts tell the reader about Mr. Yatabe at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) He is in the SD.
(b) Baynes works for him.
(c) Tagomi already knows him.
(d) He is a business executive.
4. In Chapter 9, where does Joe suggest he and Juliana go?
(a) To Denver to shop and play.
(b) To Italy to visit his family.
(c) To San Francisco and find Frank.
(d) To New York for better jobs.
5. As he sits in his office, engrossed in reading The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, what does Reiss suggest is the "power of fiction" ?
(a) Realistic imagery.
(b) Emotional appeal.
(c) Twisted plots.
(d) Careful phrasing.
6. How does Joe appear when he tries to explain to Juliana what Abendsen is saying in the novel?
7. At the start of Chapter 7, what is Childan's reason for being at the home of the Kasouras?
(a) To follow-up on a purchase they made.
(b) He is an invited dinner guest.
(c) He is acting as a German spy.
(d) To be the deliverer of good news.
8. What type of person does Reiss conclude must have written The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
(a) A Woman.
(b) A Slav.
(c) A Black.
(d) A Jew.
9. While Tagomi studies the jewelry he purchased, what does he come to understand as the real power of a true artist?
(a) Imitating his natural surroundings.
(b) Perpetuating life's lies.
(c) Bringing the dead to life.
(d) Disguising world suffering.
10. What does the discussion of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy lead Joe and Juliana to do?
(a) Plan a visit to its author.
(b) Write a letter to the newspaper.
(c) Research Abendsen's life at a library.
(d) Attend a lecture at the university.
11. What word best describes the mood at the Kasouras' home during Childan's visit?
12. Why does Childan feel the Edfrank jewelry could give him an edge on the market?
(a) It is unique and handmade.
(b) It is cheap and plentiful.
(c) It is common and desirable.
(d) It is mysterious and bold.
13. What does the I Ching tell Juliana when she consults it for advice?
(a) To notify the police.
(b) To warn Abendsen.
(c) To call Frank.
(d) To return to Colorado.
14. What do Juliana's questions about Joe's shirts and his knowledge of the valet service suggest she is thinking about Joe?
(a) He is trying to impress her.
(b) He has been on the run.
(c) He is ashamed of his heritage.
(d) He has even more secrets.
15. After having dinner with the Kasouras, Childan says he no longer feels________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reiss find is his main role in the plan to capture Wegener?
2. In Chapter 7, why are the police waiting for Childan when he returns home from the dinner?
3. In Chapter 11, who is revealed to be the mystery Abwehr, Rudolf Wegener?
4. Having a shadow cut off the sun just as Tagomi begins to read into the sun's effect on the jewelry in order to emphasize his mood is an example of the use of what literary device?
5. Why does Reiss resent his orders to cooperate with the police?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)