|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he sits in his office, engrossed in reading The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, what does Reiss suggest is the "power of fiction" ?
(a) Realistic imagery.
(b) Careful phrasing.
(c) Emotional appeal.
(d) Twisted plots.
2. Why does Childan feel he must read The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
(a) To keep up with the Kasouras.
(b) To advance his social skills.
(c) To further understand his shop's clientele.
(d) To fulfill his patriotic duty.
3. What does Tagomi feel he can no longer do now that his most prized possession has been tainted with evil?
(a) Live in his home.
(b) Oversee trade deals.
(c) Trust anyone.
(d) Be a collector.
4. When Tagomi inquires about General Tedeki in Chapter 14, he learns Tedeki is ________________.
(a) Still in his building.
(b) In a German prison.
(c) Enjoying a deserved retirement.
(d) On his way back to Tokyo.
5. What do Baynes's thoughts tell the reader about Mr. Yatabe at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Baynes works for him.
(b) He is in the SD.
(c) Tagomi already knows him.
(d) He is a business executive.
6. What is Frank doing as Chapter 14 ends?
(a) Returning to the jewelry business.
(b) Entering a prison camp.
(c) Leaving to find his ex-wife.
(d) Working again for Wyndam-Matson.
7. At the end of Chapter 14, where is Tagomi?
(a) On a park bench.
(b) In his office.
(c) Leaving his home.
(d) In an ancient temple.
8. As Chapter 7 closes, what gives Childan a feeling of "excitement and anticipation?"
(a) The new directions his business is taking.
(b) His future with the Kasouras.
(c) The selection of the new German leader.
(d) The rumors of a civil war.
9. In Chapter 11, what does Paul admit he has come to appreciate about the Edfrank jewelry Childan had given him?
(a) Its material make-up.
(b) Its historic significance.
(c) Its spiritual value.
(d) Its artistic design.
10. How does Childan feel about the offer made by Paul's business associates?
11. In Chapter 8, what disguised personage is Reiss alerted to through a radiogram from his superiors?
(a) An American businessman.
(b) A German official.
(c) An Italian diplomat.
(d) A Japanese general.
12. After telling Tagomi he can't return his Colt .44, what does Childan promise him the jewelry he buys will bring him?
(a) A return to material desires.
(b) A rise in popularity.
(c) A sense of renewal.
(d) Protection from his enemies.
13. The fate of what real group of people does Childan's statement, "I am an outsider in my own country" bring to mind?
(a) African slaves.
(b) Native Americans.
(c) Polish Immigrants.
(d) European pioneers.
14. What does Juliana forget to do when she speaks to Abendsen's wife?
(a) Give her Joe's message.
(b) Get directions.
(c) Ask if Abendsen is there.
(d) Mention the assassination plot.
15. What word best describes the mood at the Kasouras' home during Childan's visit?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tagomi's experience in the all white diner and the discovery that he left his belongings in the park make him realize he must do?
2. Why does Childan feel the Edfrank jewelry could give him an edge on the market?
3. What does Reiss find is his main role in the plan to capture Wegener?
4. What type of person does Reiss conclude must have written The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
5. What do Juliana's questions about Joe's shirts and his knowledge of the valet service suggest she is thinking about Joe?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)