|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Childan feel he must read The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
(a) To advance his social skills.
(b) To fulfill his patriotic duty.
(c) To keep up with the Kasouras.
(d) To further understand his shop's clientele.
2. Why is Frank petrified when the police call him Fink?
(a) They have him confused with a wanted criminal.
(b) He will be sent back to Germany.
(c) He has put Juliana in danger.
(d) They know he informed on Reiss.
3. What are Americans portrayed as doing by the author of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy that impresses Juliana?
(a) Helping to erase world suffering.
(b) Succeeding in conquering the world.
(c) Working to eliminate foreign competition.
(d) Fighting to free the British.
4. At the start of Chapter 10, what is Baynes's thinking his private meeting in Tagomi's office could mean for him?
(a) Fame and government promotion.
(b) Success and great wealth.
(c) Imprisonment and probable death.
(d) Exile and public shame.
5. What does the I Ching tell Juliana when she consults it for advice?
(a) To call Frank.
(b) To return to Colorado.
(c) To notify the police.
(d) To warn Abendsen.
6. In Chapter 9, what does Joe admit to really being career-wise?
(a) An armed guard.
(b) A clothing designer.
(c) A military policeman.
(d) A book reviewer.
7. At the end of Chapter 14, where is Tagomi?
(a) In his office.
(b) In an ancient temple.
(c) Leaving his home.
(d) On a park bench.
8. What does the raised eyebrow and slight smile Childan detects on Paul's face after having demanded an apology from him suggest?
(a) Secret warning.
(b) Mocking criticism.
(c) Pleasant surprise.
(d) Shaken superiority.
9. In Chapter 13, what does Juliana come to realize as the real job for which Joe was hired?
(a) To deliver Frank to the Germans.
(b) To destroy the American territories.
(c) To return her to Frank.
(d) To kill Hawthorne Abendsen.
10. What type of person does Reiss conclude must have written The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
(a) A Woman.
(b) A Black.
(c) A Slav.
(d) A Jew.
11. After telling Tagomi he can't return his Colt .44, what does Childan promise him the jewelry he buys will bring him?
(a) A return to material desires.
(b) A sense of renewal.
(c) Protection from his enemies.
(d) A rise in popularity.
12. As Childan sits on the carpet with the Kasouras, what do his thoughts reveal about how he has resolved his earlier merchandise problems?
(a) He is finding a new supplier.
(b) He is buying from Wyndam-Matson.
(c) He is moving to another location.
(d) He is getting reimbursed by Calvin.
13. In Chapter 10, as Juliana reads from The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, in what area does she discover the fictional Americans are like the Germans of her world?
(a) Agricultural production.
(b) Educational opportunity.
(c) Technological advancement.
(d) Cultural achievements.
14. What does vom Meere intend to do to Wegener after his men surround him?
(a) Paralyze him and take him away.
(b) Force him into the German jurisdiction.
(c) Frighten his plans out of him.
(d) Murder him before he does harm.
15. As he sits in his office, engrossed in reading The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, what does Reiss suggest is the "power of fiction" ?
(a) Emotional appeal.
(b) Careful phrasing.
(c) Realistic imagery.
(d) Twisted plots.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, why has Frank decided to quit the jewelry business?
2. What does Juliana do after she leaves the hotel?
3. Why does Wegener give the cigarette case to Tedeki?
4. What is Frank doing as Chapter 14 ends?
5. What does Tagomi do to spite Reiss?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)