|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chapter 9 reveal about how the earlier incident at Childan's store has left him feeling?
(a) Disillusioned with public officials.
(b) Seeking new business contacts.
(c) Questioning personal and business decisions.
(d) Fearful of being alone.
2. At the start of Chapter 10, what is Baynes's thinking his private meeting in Tagomi's office could mean for him?
(a) Fame and government promotion.
(b) Success and great wealth.
(c) Imprisonment and probable death.
(d) Exile and public shame.
3. What does Tagomi feel he can no longer do now that his most prized possession has been tainted with evil?
(a) Live in his home.
(b) Be a collector.
(c) Oversee trade deals.
(d) Trust anyone.
4. As he sits in his office, engrossed in reading The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, what does Reiss suggest is the "power of fiction" ?
(a) Careful phrasing.
(b) Realistic imagery.
(c) Emotional appeal.
(d) Twisted plots.
5. What does Juliana buy while Joe is checking into the hotel?
(a) Abendsen's book.
(b) Razor blades.
(c) Some aspirin.
(d) A map.
6. In Chapter 12, what dilemma does Wegener's suggested plan of action present to the Japanese?
(a) Losing territorial rights to maintain independence.
(b) Assisting evil to gain peace.
(c) Denying faith to achieve power.
(d) Permitting German law to advance technology.
7. As Chapter 14 opens, what is Tagomi doing?
(a) Hopelessly wandering the city.
(b) Seeking vom Meere's help.
(c) Plotting to get revenge.
(d) Sadly packing his belongings.
8. In Chapter 8, who is Police Chief vom Meere looking for when he calls Reiss's office?
(a) A high official of the Trade Mission.
(b) The head of W-M Corporation.
(c) A candidate under consideration for chancellor.
(d) An undercover Jew of the Abwehr.
9. Why does Reiss resent his orders to cooperate with the police?
(a) Vom Meere has spread lies about him.
(b) He opposes the leader chosen by the Reich.
(c) Vom Meere has gone over his head.
(d) He feels it is a waste of time.
10. What do Baynes's thoughts tell the reader about Mr. Yatabe at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) He is a business executive.
(b) Tagomi already knows him.
(c) He is in the SD.
(d) Baynes works for him.
11. In Chapter 11, what does Childan hear regarding Betty Kasoura that disappoints him?
(a) She is separating from Paul.
(b) She is returning to Japan.
(c) She never received the jewelry.
(d) She never cared for Childan.
12. Why does Childan feel the Edfrank jewelry could give him an edge on the market?
(a) It is mysterious and bold.
(b) It is unique and handmade.
(c) It is common and desirable.
(d) It is cheap and plentiful.
13. What is Juliana''s situation at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) She is being pursued by the police.
(b) She is moving in with the Abendsens.
(c) She is planning to return to California.
(d) She is alone in a motel bed.
14. While Tagomi studies the jewelry he purchased, what does he come to understand as the real power of a true artist?
(a) Imitating his natural surroundings.
(b) Bringing the dead to life.
(c) Perpetuating life's lies.
(d) Disguising world suffering.
15. What does Tagomi's experience in the all white diner and the discovery that he left his belongings in the park make him realize he must do?
(d) Move elsewhere.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wegener give the cigarette case to Tedeki?
2. What is Frank doing as Chapter 14 ends?
3. What are Americans portrayed as doing by the author of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy that impresses Juliana?
4. As the dinner and the conversations in Chapter 7 continue, what realization does Childan come to about the Kasouras and all Japanese?
5. What type of person does Reiss conclude must have written The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)