|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The fate of what real group of people does Childan's statement, "I am an outsider in my own country" bring to mind?
(a) African slaves.
(b) European pioneers.
(c) Polish Immigrants.
(d) Native Americans.
2. After McCarthy shows Childan the Edfrank jewelry, Childan decides to _________________.
(a) Take it on consignment.
(b) Buy the entire stock.
(c) Use it as a window display.
(d) Rent a space in a shop.
3. As Chapter 12 closes, what do Wegener and Tedeki realize is the source of Tagomi's despair?
(a) His loss of a trusted assistant.
(b) The knowledge that he will be demoted.
(c) His break from his Buddhist beliefs.
(d) The ruin of his most prized artifact.
4. In Chapter 9, where does Joe suggest he and Juliana go?
(a) To New York for better jobs.
(b) To Denver to shop and play.
(c) To Italy to visit his family.
(d) To San Francisco and find Frank.
5. While dining with the Kasouras, what word does Childan use to initially describe his own behavior?
6. What does Chapter 9 reveal about how the earlier incident at Childan's store has left him feeling?
(a) Disillusioned with public officials.
(b) Seeking new business contacts.
(c) Fearful of being alone.
(d) Questioning personal and business decisions.
7. What feeling best describes Juliana's reaction to Joe's explanation about his cash supply?
8. What is different about Joe's hair when he comes out of the barbershop?
(a) It is hidden by a wig.
(b) It is short and blond.
(c) It is straightened and trimmed.
(d) It is completely shaved off.
9. What does the conversation between Childan and the Kasouras tell the reader has happened to the most humanitarian of the candidates for new Chancellor, von Schirach?
(a) He is in hiding.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He has been imprisoned.
(d) He has been exiled.
10. In Chapter 9, to whom does Childan decide to take a piece of jewelry?
(a) Mr. Tagomi.
(b) Hawthorne Abendsen.
(c) Juliana Frink.
(d) Betty Kasoura.
11. According to Abendsen's novel, what problem has been solved as a result of the Allies' victory?
(a) Religious differences.
(b) American racism.
(c) Global warming.
(d) British colonization.
12. What does Juliana buy while Joe is checking into the hotel?
(a) A map.
(b) Abendsen's book.
(c) Razor blades.
(d) Some aspirin.
13. What word best describes the mood at the Kasouras' home during Childan's visit?
14. What does Abendsen's novel envision the American work force as being?
(a) Equal in pay and ability.
(b) Respected and well compensated.
(c) Made up of robots.
(d) On a volunteer basis.
15. In Chapter 12, what dilemma does Wegener's suggested plan of action present to the Japanese?
(a) Assisting evil to gain peace.
(b) Permitting German law to advance technology.
(c) Losing territorial rights to maintain independence.
(d) Denying faith to achieve power.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of Chapter 12, what does Tagomi realize about Reiss and vom Meere?
2. Why is Frank petrified when the police call him Fink?
3. In Chapter 12, what happens while Tagomi and his visitors meet in his office?
4. When Tagomi inquires about General Tedeki in Chapter 14, he learns Tedeki is ________________.
5. What does Tagomi do to spite Reiss?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)