|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the conversation between Childan and the Kasouras tell the reader has happened to the most humanitarian of the candidates for new Chancellor, von Schirach?
(a) He is in hiding.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He has been exiled.
(d) He has been imprisoned.
2. What is Frank doing as Chapter 14 ends?
(a) Working again for Wyndam-Matson.
(b) Leaving to find his ex-wife.
(c) Entering a prison camp.
(d) Returning to the jewelry business.
3. While Tagomi studies the jewelry he purchased, what does he come to understand as the real power of a true artist?
(a) Bringing the dead to life.
(b) Disguising world suffering.
(c) Imitating his natural surroundings.
(d) Perpetuating life's lies.
4. What type of person does Reiss conclude must have written The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
(a) A Black.
(b) A Slav.
(c) A Jew.
(d) A Woman.
5. In Chapter 7, how do Paul and Betty react to Childan's comments about Abendsen's theories?
(a) They report him to the officials.
(b) They worry he will be persecuted.
(c) They voice their disagreement.
(d) They realize they have an ally.
6. Because he feels The Grasshopper Lies Heavy is a dangerous book, what does Reiss think should happen to its author?
(a) He should be quietly arrested.
(b) He should be exposed as a liar.
(c) He should be humiliated in public.
(d) He should be secretly assassinated.
7. When Tagomi inquires about General Tedeki in Chapter 14, he learns Tedeki is ________________.
(a) In a German prison.
(b) Still in his building.
(c) Enjoying a deserved retirement.
(d) On his way back to Tokyo.
8. What does Joe tell Juliana was the reason he picked her to be with him?
(a) She knows where Frank has been hiding.
(b) He needs a hostage in order to escape.
(c) She fits the profile of what attracts Abendsen.
(d) He thought he deserved a little fun.
9. What does Tagomi feel he can no longer do now that his most prized possession has been tainted with evil?
(a) Trust anyone.
(b) Be a collector.
(c) Live in his home.
(d) Oversee trade deals.
10. After telling Tagomi he can't return his Colt .44, what does Childan promise him the jewelry he buys will bring him?
(a) A rise in popularity.
(b) Protection from his enemies.
(c) A return to material desires.
(d) A sense of renewal.
11. The fate of what real group of people does Childan's statement, "I am an outsider in my own country" bring to mind?
(a) Native Americans.
(b) European pioneers.
(c) African slaves.
(d) Polish Immigrants.
12. As he sits in his office, engrossed in reading The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, what does Reiss suggest is the "power of fiction" ?
(a) Emotional appeal.
(b) Careful phrasing.
(c) Twisted plots.
(d) Realistic imagery.
13. In Chapter 11, what does Childan hear regarding Betty Kasoura that disappoints him?
(a) She never received the jewelry.
(b) She never cared for Childan.
(c) She is returning to Japan.
(d) She is separating from Paul.
14. In Chapter 9, where does Joe suggest he and Juliana go?
(a) To Italy to visit his family.
(b) To Denver to shop and play.
(c) To New York for better jobs.
(d) To San Francisco and find Frank.
15. As Chapter 14 opens, what is Tagomi doing?
(a) Hopelessly wandering the city.
(b) Plotting to get revenge.
(c) Sadly packing his belongings.
(d) Seeking vom Meere's help.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, who is revealed to be the mystery Abwehr, Rudolf Wegener?
2. Why does McCarthy, rather than Frank, go to Childan's shop to market their jewelry?
3. What is different about Joe's hair when he comes out of the barbershop?
4. Why is Frank petrified when the police call him Fink?
5. What does Reiss find is his main role in the plan to capture Wegener?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)