|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the start of Chapter 7, what is Childan's reason for being at the home of the Kasouras?
(a) He is an invited dinner guest.
(b) To follow-up on a purchase they made.
(c) He is acting as a German spy.
(d) To be the deliverer of good news.
2. What about Joe surprises Juliana as Chapter 13 opens?
(a) His mysterious phone call.
(b) His questionable guests.
(c) His demanding behavior.
(d) His abrupt departure.
3. What does Chapter 9 reveal about how the earlier incident at Childan's store has left him feeling?
(a) Seeking new business contacts.
(b) Questioning personal and business decisions.
(c) Fearful of being alone.
(d) Disillusioned with public officials.
4. What are Americans portrayed as doing by the author of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy that impresses Juliana?
(a) Working to eliminate foreign competition.
(b) Fighting to free the British.
(c) Succeeding in conquering the world.
(d) Helping to erase world suffering.
5. What is different about Joe's hair when he comes out of the barbershop?
(a) It is straightened and trimmed.
(b) It is completely shaved off.
(c) It is short and blond.
(d) It is hidden by a wig.
6. What does Tagomi fear about The Oracle that has him so upset?
(a) It has manipulated him to betray his country.
(b) It has given up on mankind.
(c) It has made a fool of him.
(d) It has outlived its usefulness.
7. What do Juliana's questions about Joe's shirts and his knowledge of the valet service suggest she is thinking about Joe?
(a) He is trying to impress her.
(b) He is ashamed of his heritage.
(c) He has even more secrets.
(d) He has been on the run.
8. In Chapter 7, why are the police waiting for Childan when he returns home from the dinner?
(a) To get information about the Kasouras.
(b) To have him identify a photo of Frank.
(c) To arrest him for revolutionary thinking.
(d) To question him about the jewelry he sells.
9. At the end of Chapter 14, where is Tagomi?
(a) In an ancient temple.
(b) Leaving his home.
(c) In his office.
(d) On a park bench.
10. In Chapter 11, what does Childan hear regarding Betty Kasoura that disappoints him?
(a) She never received the jewelry.
(b) She never cared for Childan.
(c) She is separating from Paul.
(d) She is returning to Japan.
11. What does the discussion of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy lead Joe and Juliana to do?
(a) Attend a lecture at the university.
(b) Plan a visit to its author.
(c) Research Abendsen's life at a library.
(d) Write a letter to the newspaper.
12. What does the raised eyebrow and slight smile Childan detects on Paul's face after having demanded an apology from him suggest?
(a) Pleasant surprise.
(b) Mocking criticism.
(c) Secret warning.
(d) Shaken superiority.
13. What does the conversation between Childan and the Kasouras tell the reader has happened to the most humanitarian of the candidates for new Chancellor, von Schirach?
(a) He has been exiled.
(b) He is in hiding.
(c) He has been imprisoned.
(d) He is dead.
14. In Chapter 8, who is Police Chief vom Meere looking for when he calls Reiss's office?
(a) An undercover Jew of the Abwehr.
(b) A candidate under consideration for chancellor.
(c) The head of W-M Corporation.
(d) A high official of the Trade Mission.
15. What does Abendsen's novel envision the American work force as being?
(a) Equal in pay and ability.
(b) Respected and well compensated.
(c) Made up of robots.
(d) On a volunteer basis.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, as Juliana reads from The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, in what area does she discover the fictional Americans are like the Germans of her world?
2. In Chapter 9, where does Joe suggest he and Juliana go?
3. In Chapter 9, to whom does Childan decide to take a piece of jewelry?
4. As the dinner and the conversations in Chapter 7 continue, what realization does Childan come to about the Kasouras and all Japanese?
5. As Chapter 14 opens, what is Tagomi doing?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)