|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The fate of what real group of people does Childan's statement, "I am an outsider in my own country" bring to mind?
(a) African slaves.
(b) Polish Immigrants.
(c) European pioneers.
(d) Native Americans.
2. What does Tagomi feel he can no longer do now that his most prized possession has been tainted with evil?
(a) Be a collector.
(b) Live in his home.
(c) Trust anyone.
(d) Oversee trade deals.
3. After telling Tagomi he can't return his Colt .44, what does Childan promise him the jewelry he buys will bring him?
(a) A rise in popularity.
(b) A return to material desires.
(c) Protection from his enemies.
(d) A sense of renewal.
4. After having dinner with the Kasouras, Childan says he no longer feels________________.
5. Having a shadow cut off the sun just as Tagomi begins to read into the sun's effect on the jewelry in order to emphasize his mood is an example of the use of what literary device?
6. While Tagomi studies the jewelry he purchased, what does he come to understand as the real power of a true artist?
(a) Imitating his natural surroundings.
(b) Perpetuating life's lies.
(c) Disguising world suffering.
(d) Bringing the dead to life.
7. What does the discussion of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy lead Joe and Juliana to do?
(a) Write a letter to the newspaper.
(b) Attend a lecture at the university.
(c) Plan a visit to its author.
(d) Research Abendsen's life at a library.
8. What does the conversation between Childan and the Kasouras tell the reader has happened to the most humanitarian of the candidates for new Chancellor, von Schirach?
(a) He has been exiled.
(b) He is in hiding.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He has been imprisoned.
9. Why does Wegener give the cigarette case to Tedeki?
(a) It exemplifies the latest in scientific invention.
(b) It symbolizes the union of Germany and Japan.
(c) It is to be used to signal success.
(d) It contains proof of his message.
10. In Chapter 13, what does Juliana come to realize as the real job for which Joe was hired?
(a) To deliver Frank to the Germans.
(b) To destroy the American territories.
(c) To return her to Frank.
(d) To kill Hawthorne Abendsen.
11. What feeling best describes Juliana's reaction to Joe's explanation about his cash supply?
12. What does Juliana do after she leaves the hotel?
(a) Seeks help.
(b) Steals a car.
(c) Begins to cry.
(d) Disguises herself.
13. In Chapter 8, what disguised personage is Reiss alerted to through a radiogram from his superiors?
(a) A Japanese general.
(b) An Italian diplomat.
(c) A German official.
(d) An American businessman.
14. What is Juliana''s situation at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) She is alone in a motel bed.
(b) She is being pursued by the police.
(c) She is moving in with the Abendsens.
(d) She is planning to return to California.
15. What does the I Ching tell Juliana when she consults it for advice?
(a) To return to Colorado.
(b) To notify the police.
(c) To warn Abendsen.
(d) To call Frank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Juliana's questions about Joe's shirts and his knowledge of the valet service suggest she is thinking about Joe?
2. In Chapter 10, as Juliana reads from The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, in what area does she discover the fictional Americans are like the Germans of her world?
3. What does Baynes, really Captain Wegener of the Reich's Naval Counter Intelligence , tell Tagomi about the reason he is in the PSA?
4. What about Joe surprises Juliana as Chapter 13 opens?
5. What does Tagomi do to spite Reiss?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)