|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Wegener give the cigarette case to Tedeki?
(a) It is to be used to signal success.
(b) It symbolizes the union of Germany and Japan.
(c) It exemplifies the latest in scientific invention.
(d) It contains proof of his message.
2. When Tagomi inquires about General Tedeki in Chapter 14, he learns Tedeki is ________________.
(a) In a German prison.
(b) Still in his building.
(c) On his way back to Tokyo.
(d) Enjoying a deserved retirement.
3. While dining with the Kasouras, what word does Childan use to initially describe his own behavior?
4. What does the raised eyebrow and slight smile Childan detects on Paul's face after having demanded an apology from him suggest?
(a) Pleasant surprise.
(b) Secret warning.
(c) Mocking criticism.
(d) Shaken superiority.
5. Why does Childan feel he must read The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
(a) To advance his social skills.
(b) To further understand his shop's clientele.
(c) To fulfill his patriotic duty.
(d) To keep up with the Kasouras.
6. According to Abendsen's novel, what problem has been solved as a result of the Allies' victory?
(a) British colonization.
(b) Religious differences.
(c) American racism.
(d) Global warming.
7. While Tagomi studies the jewelry he purchased, what does he come to understand as the real power of a true artist?
(a) Perpetuating life's lies.
(b) Disguising world suffering.
(c) Imitating his natural surroundings.
(d) Bringing the dead to life.
8. What does vom Meere intend to do to Wegener after his men surround him?
(a) Frighten his plans out of him.
(b) Force him into the German jurisdiction.
(c) Murder him before he does harm.
(d) Paralyze him and take him away.
9. Why does Childan feel the Edfrank jewelry could give him an edge on the market?
(a) It is unique and handmade.
(b) It is mysterious and bold.
(c) It is cheap and plentiful.
(d) It is common and desirable.
10. What about Joe surprises Juliana as Chapter 13 opens?
(a) His abrupt departure.
(b) His demanding behavior.
(c) His questionable guests.
(d) His mysterious phone call.
11. As Chapter 12 closes, what do Wegener and Tedeki realize is the source of Tagomi's despair?
(a) The knowledge that he will be demoted.
(b) His loss of a trusted assistant.
(c) His break from his Buddhist beliefs.
(d) The ruin of his most prized artifact.
12. In Chapter 7, why are the police waiting for Childan when he returns home from the dinner?
(a) To arrest him for revolutionary thinking.
(b) To get information about the Kasouras.
(c) To question him about the jewelry he sells.
(d) To have him identify a photo of Frank.
13. At the meeting in Tagomi's office, what information does Wegener share with Tedeki and Tagomi?
(a) San Francisco has become a neutral zone.
(b) Americans are planning an uprising.
(c) Japan is about to be attacked.
(d) Germany now heads the PSA.
14. Why does Reiss resent his orders to cooperate with the police?
(a) He feels it is a waste of time.
(b) Vom Meere has spread lies about him.
(c) Vom Meere has gone over his head.
(d) He opposes the leader chosen by the Reich.
15. Why is Frank petrified when the police call him Fink?
(a) They have him confused with a wanted criminal.
(b) They know he informed on Reiss.
(c) He has put Juliana in danger.
(d) He will be sent back to Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what does Childan hear regarding Betty Kasoura that disappoints him?
2. How does Joe appear when he tries to explain to Juliana what Abendsen is saying in the novel?
3. What does Abendsen's novel envision the American work force as being?
4. In Chapter 13, what does Juliana come to realize as the real job for which Joe was hired?
5. What does Tagomi do to spite Reiss?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)