|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, as Juliana reads from The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, in what area does she discover the fictional Americans are like the Germans of her world?
(a) Technological advancement.
(b) Educational opportunity.
(c) Cultural achievements.
(d) Agricultural production.
2. What does Juliana do after she leaves the hotel?
(a) Steals a car.
(b) Begins to cry.
(c) Disguises herself.
(d) Seeks help.
3. In Chapter 12, why has Frank decided to quit the jewelry business?
(a) Nothing has been sold.
(b) He realizes he has no talent.
(c) Juliana has contacted him.
(d) McCarthy's partnering with Childan.
4. The fate of what real group of people does Childan's statement, "I am an outsider in my own country" bring to mind?
(a) European pioneers.
(b) Polish Immigrants.
(c) African slaves.
(d) Native Americans.
5. After having dinner with the Kasouras, Childan says he no longer feels________________.
6. What does Baynes, really Captain Wegener of the Reich's Naval Counter Intelligence , tell Tagomi about the reason he is in the PSA?
(a) He is replacing Reiss in San Francisco.
(b) He is acting independently from the Reich.
(c) He is helping Americans take back their country.
(d) He is representing the newly elected Chancellor.
7. How does Joe appear when he tries to explain to Juliana what Abendsen is saying in the novel?
8. In Chapter 7, why are the police waiting for Childan when he returns home from the dinner?
(a) To have him identify a photo of Frank.
(b) To get information about the Kasouras.
(c) To arrest him for revolutionary thinking.
(d) To question him about the jewelry he sells.
9. What does Juliana forget to do when she speaks to Abendsen's wife?
(a) Ask if Abendsen is there.
(b) Mention the assassination plot.
(c) Give her Joe's message.
(d) Get directions.
10. Why does Reiss resent his orders to cooperate with the police?
(a) Vom Meere has gone over his head.
(b) He opposes the leader chosen by the Reich.
(c) Vom Meere has spread lies about him.
(d) He feels it is a waste of time.
11. Why does Childan feel he must read The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
(a) To further understand his shop's clientele.
(b) To keep up with the Kasouras.
(c) To advance his social skills.
(d) To fulfill his patriotic duty.
12. In Chapter 12, what happens while Tagomi and his visitors meet in his office?
(a) Armed guards come storming in.
(b) Ramsey is caught listening in.
(c) He is informed of a bomb scare.
(d) He receives a call from Reiss.
13. As Chapter 7 closes, what gives Childan a feeling of "excitement and anticipation?"
(a) The new directions his business is taking.
(b) The rumors of a civil war.
(c) His future with the Kasouras.
(d) The selection of the new German leader.
14. What does Abendsen's novel envision the American work force as being?
(a) Respected and well compensated.
(b) Equal in pay and ability.
(c) On a volunteer basis.
(d) Made up of robots.
15. While Tagomi studies the jewelry he purchased, what does he come to understand as the real power of a true artist?
(a) Bringing the dead to life.
(b) Perpetuating life's lies.
(c) Imitating his natural surroundings.
(d) Disguising world suffering.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tagomi do to spite Reiss?
2. At the meeting in Tagomi's office, what information does Wegener share with Tedeki and Tagomi?
3. What is Juliana''s situation at the end of Chapter 13?
4. After McCarthy shows Childan the Edfrank jewelry, Childan decides to _________________.
5. After telling Tagomi he can't return his Colt .44, what does Childan promise him the jewelry he buys will bring him?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)