|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the conversation between Childan and the Kasouras tell the reader has happened to the most humanitarian of the candidates for new Chancellor, von Schirach?
(a) He has been exiled.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He has been imprisoned.
(d) He is in hiding.
2. In Chapter 8, what disguised personage is Reiss alerted to through a radiogram from his superiors?
(a) An Italian diplomat.
(b) A German official.
(c) An American businessman.
(d) A Japanese general.
3. In Chapter 13, what does Juliana come to realize as the real job for which Joe was hired?
(a) To return her to Frank.
(b) To destroy the American territories.
(c) To kill Hawthorne Abendsen.
(d) To deliver Frank to the Germans.
4. What do Juliana and Joe argue over after entering their hotel room?
(a) Juliana's taste in clothing.
(b) Joe's disregard for privacy.
(c) Their lack of funds.
(d) Joe's change in plans.
5. When Tagomi inquires about General Tedeki in Chapter 14, he learns Tedeki is ________________.
(a) In a German prison.
(b) On his way back to Tokyo.
(c) Still in his building.
(d) Enjoying a deserved retirement.
6. What about Joe surprises Juliana as Chapter 13 opens?
(a) His abrupt departure.
(b) His demanding behavior.
(c) His questionable guests.
(d) His mysterious phone call.
7. At the end of Chapter 14, where is Tagomi?
(a) On a park bench.
(b) In an ancient temple.
(c) In his office.
(d) Leaving his home.
8. What does Juliana buy while Joe is checking into the hotel?
(a) Abendsen's book.
(b) Razor blades.
(c) Some aspirin.
(d) A map.
9. In Chapter 11, what does Childan hear regarding Betty Kasoura that disappoints him?
(a) She is separating from Paul.
(b) She never cared for Childan.
(c) She is returning to Japan.
(d) She never received the jewelry.
10. What does Tagomi's experience in the all white diner and the discovery that he left his belongings in the park make him realize he must do?
(d) Move elsewhere.
11. As he sits in his office, engrossed in reading The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, what does Reiss suggest is the "power of fiction" ?
(a) Realistic imagery.
(b) Careful phrasing.
(c) Emotional appeal.
(d) Twisted plots.
12. In Chapter 9, what does Joe admit to really being career-wise?
(a) An armed guard.
(b) A military policeman.
(c) A clothing designer.
(d) A book reviewer.
13. In Chapter 9, where does Joe suggest he and Juliana go?
(a) To Denver to shop and play.
(b) To New York for better jobs.
(c) To San Francisco and find Frank.
(d) To Italy to visit his family.
14. What does Reiss find is his main role in the plan to capture Wegener?
(a) Pretend to hate vom Meere.
(b) Handle Japanese complaints.
(c) Invite Tagomi to police headquarters.
(d) Distract the Abwehr.
15. In Chapter 12, what happens while Tagomi and his visitors meet in his office?
(a) Ramsey is caught listening in.
(b) Armed guards come storming in.
(c) He is informed of a bomb scare.
(d) He receives a call from Reiss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Frank doing as Chapter 14 ends?
2. Because he feels The Grasshopper Lies Heavy is a dangerous book, what does Reiss think should happen to its author?
3. In Chapter 12, why has Frank decided to quit the jewelry business?
4. What does Juliana do after she leaves the hotel?
5. What word best describes the mood at the Kasouras' home during Childan's visit?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)