|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the I Ching tell Juliana when she consults it for advice?
(a) To return to Colorado.
(b) To notify the police.
(c) To warn Abendsen.
(d) To call Frank.
2. What does Tagomi fear about The Oracle that has him so upset?
(a) It has manipulated him to betray his country.
(b) It has outlived its usefulness.
(c) It has made a fool of him.
(d) It has given up on mankind.
3. Tagomi informs Reiss that Reiss's country is about to _________.
(a) Exile Reiss.
(b) Commit evil.
4. What does vom Meere intend to do to Wegener after his men surround him?
(a) Murder him before he does harm.
(b) Force him into the German jurisdiction.
(c) Frighten his plans out of him.
(d) Paralyze him and take him away.
5. In Chapter 11, what does Paul admit he has come to appreciate about the Edfrank jewelry Childan had given him?
(a) Its spiritual value.
(b) Its historic significance.
(c) Its material make-up.
(d) Its artistic design.
6. In Chapter 8, what disguised personage is Reiss alerted to through a radiogram from his superiors?
(a) A German official.
(b) A Japanese general.
(c) An Italian diplomat.
(d) An American businessman.
7. Having a shadow cut off the sun just as Tagomi begins to read into the sun's effect on the jewelry in order to emphasize his mood is an example of the use of what literary device?
8. At the end of Chapter 14, where is Tagomi?
(a) In his office.
(b) On a park bench.
(c) In an ancient temple.
(d) Leaving his home.
9. Why is Frank petrified when the police call him Fink?
(a) He will be sent back to Germany.
(b) He has put Juliana in danger.
(c) They have him confused with a wanted criminal.
(d) They know he informed on Reiss.
10. As Chapter 12 closes, what do Wegener and Tedeki realize is the source of Tagomi's despair?
(a) The knowledge that he will be demoted.
(b) His loss of a trusted assistant.
(c) The ruin of his most prized artifact.
(d) His break from his Buddhist beliefs.
11. In Chapter 12, why has Frank decided to quit the jewelry business?
(a) McCarthy's partnering with Childan.
(b) He realizes he has no talent.
(c) Nothing has been sold.
(d) Juliana has contacted him.
12. Why does Wegener give the cigarette case to Tedeki?
(a) It exemplifies the latest in scientific invention.
(b) It symbolizes the union of Germany and Japan.
(c) It contains proof of his message.
(d) It is to be used to signal success.
13. As Chapter 7 closes, what gives Childan a feeling of "excitement and anticipation?"
(a) The rumors of a civil war.
(b) The selection of the new German leader.
(c) The new directions his business is taking.
(d) His future with the Kasouras.
14. In Chapter 8, who is Police Chief vom Meere looking for when he calls Reiss's office?
(a) The head of W-M Corporation.
(b) A high official of the Trade Mission.
(c) An undercover Jew of the Abwehr.
(d) A candidate under consideration for chancellor.
15. In Chapter 9, to whom does Childan decide to take a piece of jewelry?
(a) Mr. Tagomi.
(b) Juliana Frink.
(c) Hawthorne Abendsen.
(d) Betty Kasoura.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Tagomi studies the jewelry he purchased, what does he come to understand as the real power of a true artist?
2. In Chapter 12, what dilemma does Wegener's suggested plan of action present to the Japanese?
3. In Chapter 9, what does Joe admit to really being career-wise?
4. The fate of what real group of people does Childan's statement, "I am an outsider in my own country" bring to mind?
5. What does Chapter 9 reveal about how the earlier incident at Childan's store has left him feeling?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)