|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the dinner and the conversations in Chapter 7 continue, what realization does Childan come to about the Kasouras and all Japanese?
(a) They are artificial.
(b) They are egocentric.
(c) They are generous.
(d) They are creative.
2. When speaking to Betty Kasoura at her home, how is Childan feeling about her?
3. What feeling best describes Juliana's reaction to Joe's explanation about his cash supply?
4. In Chapter 9, what does Joe admit to really being career-wise?
(a) A book reviewer.
(b) A clothing designer.
(c) A military policeman.
(d) An armed guard.
5. What does Juliana do after she leaves the hotel?
(a) Begins to cry.
(b) Steals a car.
(c) Seeks help.
(d) Disguises herself.
6. How does Childan feel about the offer made by Paul's business associates?
7. In Chapter 8, who is Police Chief vom Meere looking for when he calls Reiss's office?
(a) An undercover Jew of the Abwehr.
(b) A candidate under consideration for chancellor.
(c) The head of W-M Corporation.
(d) A high official of the Trade Mission.
8. What surprises Tagomi about Mr. Yatabe, whose real name is Tedeki?
(a) He is a highly respected professor.
(b) He is an award winning scientist.
(c) He is a supposedly deceased politician.
(d) He is a high ranking Japanese general.
9. In Chapter 11, what does Paul admit he has come to appreciate about the Edfrank jewelry Childan had given him?
(a) Its historic significance.
(b) Its artistic design.
(c) Its spiritual value.
(d) Its material make-up.
10. At the start of Chapter 7, what is Childan's reason for being at the home of the Kasouras?
(a) To be the deliverer of good news.
(b) He is an invited dinner guest.
(c) He is acting as a German spy.
(d) To follow-up on a purchase they made.
11. What is different about Joe's hair when he comes out of the barbershop?
(a) It is short and blond.
(b) It is completely shaved off.
(c) It is hidden by a wig.
(d) It is straightened and trimmed.
12. In Chapter 9, where does Joe suggest he and Juliana go?
(a) To Italy to visit his family.
(b) To San Francisco and find Frank.
(c) To Denver to shop and play.
(d) To New York for better jobs.
13. While dining with the Kasouras, what word does Childan use to initially describe his own behavior?
14. Why does McCarthy, rather than Frank, go to Childan's shop to market their jewelry?
(a) Frank is busy producing more.
(b) McCarthy is more sociable.
(c) Childan is a childhood friend.
(d) Childan might recognize Frank.
15. What are Americans portrayed as doing by the author of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy that impresses Juliana?
(a) Fighting to free the British.
(b) Working to eliminate foreign competition.
(c) Helping to erase world suffering.
(d) Succeeding in conquering the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the I Ching tell Juliana when she consults it for advice?
2. Because he feels The Grasshopper Lies Heavy is a dangerous book, what does Reiss think should happen to its author?
3. Having a shadow cut off the sun just as Tagomi begins to read into the sun's effect on the jewelry in order to emphasize his mood is an example of the use of what literary device?
4. In Chapter 7, how do Paul and Betty react to Childan's comments about Abendsen's theories?
5. What does vom Meere intend to do to Wegener after his men surround him?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)