|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what does Childan hear regarding Betty Kasoura that disappoints him?
(a) She never cared for Childan.
(b) She is returning to Japan.
(c) She is separating from Paul.
(d) She never received the jewelry.
2. What do Juliana's questions about Joe's shirts and his knowledge of the valet service suggest she is thinking about Joe?
(a) He is trying to impress her.
(b) He is ashamed of his heritage.
(c) He has even more secrets.
(d) He has been on the run.
3. How does Childan feel about the offer made by Paul's business associates?
4. Toward the end of Chapter 12, what does Tagomi realize about Reiss and vom Meere?
(a) They are working undercover for Japan.
(b) They are responsible for the surprise attack.
(c) They are eager to help him out.
(d) They are behind Ramsey's defection.
5. What does Juliana forget to do when she speaks to Abendsen's wife?
(a) Ask if Abendsen is there.
(b) Mention the assassination plot.
(c) Get directions.
(d) Give her Joe's message.
6. After telling Tagomi he can't return his Colt .44, what does Childan promise him the jewelry he buys will bring him?
(a) A rise in popularity.
(b) A sense of renewal.
(c) A return to material desires.
(d) Protection from his enemies.
7. In Chapter 13, what does Juliana come to realize as the real job for which Joe was hired?
(a) To return her to Frank.
(b) To destroy the American territories.
(c) To kill Hawthorne Abendsen.
(d) To deliver Frank to the Germans.
8. When speaking to Betty Kasoura at her home, how is Childan feeling about her?
9. As Chapter 12 closes, what do Wegener and Tedeki realize is the source of Tagomi's despair?
(a) His loss of a trusted assistant.
(b) His break from his Buddhist beliefs.
(c) The knowledge that he will be demoted.
(d) The ruin of his most prized artifact.
10. In Chapter 9, what does Joe admit to really being career-wise?
(a) A book reviewer.
(b) A clothing designer.
(c) A military policeman.
(d) An armed guard.
11. Why does McCarthy, rather than Frank, go to Childan's shop to market their jewelry?
(a) Childan is a childhood friend.
(b) McCarthy is more sociable.
(c) Frank is busy producing more.
(d) Childan might recognize Frank.
12. After McCarthy shows Childan the Edfrank jewelry, Childan decides to _________________.
(a) Use it as a window display.
(b) Rent a space in a shop.
(c) Buy the entire stock.
(d) Take it on consignment.
13. What type of person does Reiss conclude must have written The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
(a) A Slav.
(b) A Woman.
(c) A Black.
(d) A Jew.
14. Tagomi informs Reiss that Reiss's country is about to _________.
(c) Commit evil.
(d) Exile Reiss.
15. Why does Reiss resent his orders to cooperate with the police?
(a) Vom Meere has spread lies about him.
(b) Vom Meere has gone over his head.
(c) He feels it is a waste of time.
(d) He opposes the leader chosen by the Reich.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Childan sits on the carpet with the Kasouras, what do his thoughts reveal about how he has resolved his earlier merchandise problems?
2. While Tagomi studies the jewelry he purchased, what does he come to understand as the real power of a true artist?
3. Why does Childan feel he must read The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
4. What do Baynes's thoughts tell the reader about Mr. Yatabe at the end of Chapter 10?
5. In Chapter 8, what disguised personage is Reiss alerted to through a radiogram from his superiors?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)