|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, where does Joe suggest he and Juliana go?
(a) To Italy to visit his family.
(b) To San Francisco and find Frank.
(c) To Denver to shop and play.
(d) To New York for better jobs.
2. What is different about Joe's hair when he comes out of the barbershop?
(a) It is completely shaved off.
(b) It is short and blond.
(c) It is straightened and trimmed.
(d) It is hidden by a wig.
3. What does Tagomi's experience in the all white diner and the discovery that he left his belongings in the park make him realize he must do?
(b) Move elsewhere.
4. In Chapter 10, as Juliana reads from The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, in what area does she discover the fictional Americans are like the Germans of her world?
(a) Educational opportunity.
(b) Technological advancement.
(c) Cultural achievements.
(d) Agricultural production.
5. As Chapter 12 closes, what do Wegener and Tedeki realize is the source of Tagomi's despair?
(a) His loss of a trusted assistant.
(b) The ruin of his most prized artifact.
(c) The knowledge that he will be demoted.
(d) His break from his Buddhist beliefs.
6. What is Juliana''s situation at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) She is moving in with the Abendsens.
(b) She is planning to return to California.
(c) She is being pursued by the police.
(d) She is alone in a motel bed.
7. As Chapter 10 closes, how does Tagomi's message from the I Ching come true?
(a) Ramsey is actually the spy.
(b) Mr. Yatabe has finally arrived.
(c) Childan's gift has been delivered.
(d) His office has been wiretapped.
8. At the meeting in Tagomi's office, what information does Wegener share with Tedeki and Tagomi?
(a) Germany now heads the PSA.
(b) Japan is about to be attacked.
(c) Americans are planning an uprising.
(d) San Francisco has become a neutral zone.
9. What does the discussion of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy lead Joe and Juliana to do?
(a) Attend a lecture at the university.
(b) Research Abendsen's life at a library.
(c) Plan a visit to its author.
(d) Write a letter to the newspaper.
10. Why does Childan feel the Edfrank jewelry could give him an edge on the market?
(a) It is common and desirable.
(b) It is unique and handmade.
(c) It is cheap and plentiful.
(d) It is mysterious and bold.
11. In Chapter 11, who is revealed to be the mystery Abwehr, Rudolf Wegener?
(a) Herr Baynes.
(b) Joe Cinnadella.
(c) Frank Frink.
(d) Nobuke Tagomi.
12. What is Frank doing as Chapter 14 ends?
(a) Returning to the jewelry business.
(b) Entering a prison camp.
(c) Working again for Wyndam-Matson.
(d) Leaving to find his ex-wife.
13. What does Chapter 9 reveal about how the earlier incident at Childan's store has left him feeling?
(a) Questioning personal and business decisions.
(b) Seeking new business contacts.
(c) Disillusioned with public officials.
(d) Fearful of being alone.
14. At the start of Chapter 7, what is Childan's reason for being at the home of the Kasouras?
(a) To be the deliverer of good news.
(b) He is an invited dinner guest.
(c) He is acting as a German spy.
(d) To follow-up on a purchase they made.
15. When speaking to Betty Kasoura at her home, how is Childan feeling about her?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, why are the police waiting for Childan when he returns home from the dinner?
2. What feeling best describes Juliana's reaction to Joe's explanation about his cash supply?
3. While Tagomi studies the jewelry he purchased, what does he come to understand as the real power of a true artist?
4. Because he feels The Grasshopper Lies Heavy is a dangerous book, what does Reiss think should happen to its author?
5. At the end of Chapter 14, where is Tagomi?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)