|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After having dinner with the Kasouras, Childan says he no longer feels________________.
2. What does Tagomi do to spite Reiss?
(a) Communicates only through his assistant.
(b) Makes an appointment with vom Meere.
(c) Signs for the release of Frank.
(d) Reports him to the Third Reich.
3. What surprises Tagomi about Mr. Yatabe, whose real name is Tedeki?
(a) He is a highly respected professor.
(b) He is a supposedly deceased politician.
(c) He is an award winning scientist.
(d) He is a high ranking Japanese general.
4. What type of person does Reiss conclude must have written The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
(a) A Woman.
(b) A Slav.
(c) A Black.
(d) A Jew.
5. In Chapter 9, to whom does Childan decide to take a piece of jewelry?
(a) Hawthorne Abendsen.
(b) Juliana Frink.
(c) Mr. Tagomi.
(d) Betty Kasoura.
6. In Chapter 10, as Juliana reads from The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, in what area does she discover the fictional Americans are like the Germans of her world?
(a) Educational opportunity.
(b) Technological advancement.
(c) Agricultural production.
(d) Cultural achievements.
7. Toward the end of Chapter 12, what does Tagomi realize about Reiss and vom Meere?
(a) They are eager to help him out.
(b) They are working undercover for Japan.
(c) They are behind Ramsey's defection.
(d) They are responsible for the surprise attack.
8. Why does Wegener give the cigarette case to Tedeki?
(a) It symbolizes the union of Germany and Japan.
(b) It is to be used to signal success.
(c) It exemplifies the latest in scientific invention.
(d) It contains proof of his message.
9. What is different about Joe's hair when he comes out of the barbershop?
(a) It is completely shaved off.
(b) It is straightened and trimmed.
(c) It is short and blond.
(d) It is hidden by a wig.
10. As Chapter 7 closes, what gives Childan a feeling of "excitement and anticipation?"
(a) The rumors of a civil war.
(b) The selection of the new German leader.
(c) His future with the Kasouras.
(d) The new directions his business is taking.
11. What does Tagomi's experience in the all white diner and the discovery that he left his belongings in the park make him realize he must do?
(c) Move elsewhere.
12. What does Juliana buy while Joe is checking into the hotel?
(a) A map.
(b) Razor blades.
(c) Abendsen's book.
(d) Some aspirin.
13. In Chapter 7, why are the police waiting for Childan when he returns home from the dinner?
(a) To arrest him for revolutionary thinking.
(b) To have him identify a photo of Frank.
(c) To question him about the jewelry he sells.
(d) To get information about the Kasouras.
14. In Chapter 8, who is Police Chief vom Meere looking for when he calls Reiss's office?
(a) The head of W-M Corporation.
(b) An undercover Jew of the Abwehr.
(c) A high official of the Trade Mission.
(d) A candidate under consideration for chancellor.
15. After McCarthy shows Childan the Edfrank jewelry, Childan decides to _________________.
(a) Use it as a window display.
(b) Rent a space in a shop.
(c) Take it on consignment.
(d) Buy the entire stock.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Abendsen's novel, what problem has been solved as a result of the Allies' victory?
2. What does the conversation between Childan and the Kasouras tell the reader has happened to the most humanitarian of the candidates for new Chancellor, von Schirach?
3. Because he feels The Grasshopper Lies Heavy is a dangerous book, what does Reiss think should happen to its author?
4. Tagomi informs Reiss that Reiss's country is about to _________.
5. In Chapter 11, what does Paul admit he has come to appreciate about the Edfrank jewelry Childan had given him?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)