|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tagomi inquires about General Tedeki in Chapter 14, he learns Tedeki is ________________.
(a) In a German prison.
(b) On his way back to Tokyo.
(c) Still in his building.
(d) Enjoying a deserved retirement.
2. In Chapter 9, where does Joe suggest he and Juliana go?
(a) To Denver to shop and play.
(b) To Italy to visit his family.
(c) To New York for better jobs.
(d) To San Francisco and find Frank.
3. What does Tagomi feel he can no longer do now that his most prized possession has been tainted with evil?
(a) Be a collector.
(b) Live in his home.
(c) Oversee trade deals.
(d) Trust anyone.
4. Toward the end of Chapter 12, what does Tagomi realize about Reiss and vom Meere?
(a) They are responsible for the surprise attack.
(b) They are behind Ramsey's defection.
(c) They are eager to help him out.
(d) They are working undercover for Japan.
5. What does the raised eyebrow and slight smile Childan detects on Paul's face after having demanded an apology from him suggest?
(a) Pleasant surprise.
(b) Shaken superiority.
(c) Mocking criticism.
(d) Secret warning.
6. In Chapter 8, what disguised personage is Reiss alerted to through a radiogram from his superiors?
(a) A German official.
(b) An American businessman.
(c) An Italian diplomat.
(d) A Japanese general.
7. What is Juliana''s situation at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) She is being pursued by the police.
(b) She is planning to return to California.
(c) She is alone in a motel bed.
(d) She is moving in with the Abendsens.
8. Because he feels The Grasshopper Lies Heavy is a dangerous book, what does Reiss think should happen to its author?
(a) He should be exposed as a liar.
(b) He should be secretly assassinated.
(c) He should be humiliated in public.
(d) He should be quietly arrested.
9. As Childan sits on the carpet with the Kasouras, what do his thoughts reveal about how he has resolved his earlier merchandise problems?
(a) He is finding a new supplier.
(b) He is moving to another location.
(c) He is buying from Wyndam-Matson.
(d) He is getting reimbursed by Calvin.
10. In Chapter 8, who is Police Chief vom Meere looking for when he calls Reiss's office?
(a) A candidate under consideration for chancellor.
(b) A high official of the Trade Mission.
(c) An undercover Jew of the Abwehr.
(d) The head of W-M Corporation.
11. What do Juliana and Joe argue over after entering their hotel room?
(a) Juliana's taste in clothing.
(b) Their lack of funds.
(c) Joe's disregard for privacy.
(d) Joe's change in plans.
12. In Chapter 12, what dilemma does Wegener's suggested plan of action present to the Japanese?
(a) Losing territorial rights to maintain independence.
(b) Denying faith to achieve power.
(c) Assisting evil to gain peace.
(d) Permitting German law to advance technology.
13. What does Chapter 9 reveal about how the earlier incident at Childan's store has left him feeling?
(a) Disillusioned with public officials.
(b) Seeking new business contacts.
(c) Questioning personal and business decisions.
(d) Fearful of being alone.
14. What about Joe surprises Juliana as Chapter 13 opens?
(a) His demanding behavior.
(b) His mysterious phone call.
(c) His abrupt departure.
(d) His questionable guests.
15. The fate of what real group of people does Childan's statement, "I am an outsider in my own country" bring to mind?
(a) Native Americans.
(b) Polish Immigrants.
(c) European pioneers.
(d) African slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the dinner and the conversations in Chapter 7 continue, what realization does Childan come to about the Kasouras and all Japanese?
2. At the start of Chapter 10, what is Baynes's thinking his private meeting in Tagomi's office could mean for him?
3. How does Joe appear when he tries to explain to Juliana what Abendsen is saying in the novel?
4. What do Juliana's questions about Joe's shirts and his knowledge of the valet service suggest she is thinking about Joe?
5. What does the I Ching tell Juliana when she consults it for advice?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)