|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does vom Meere intend to do to Wegener after his men surround him?
(a) Murder him before he does harm.
(b) Paralyze him and take him away.
(c) Frighten his plans out of him.
(d) Force him into the German jurisdiction.
2. How does Childan feel about the offer made by Paul's business associates?
3. What type of person does Reiss conclude must have written The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
(a) A Slav.
(b) A Black.
(c) A Jew.
(d) A Woman.
4. At the meeting in Tagomi's office, what information does Wegener share with Tedeki and Tagomi?
(a) Germany now heads the PSA.
(b) Americans are planning an uprising.
(c) San Francisco has become a neutral zone.
(d) Japan is about to be attacked.
5. As the dinner and the conversations in Chapter 7 continue, what realization does Childan come to about the Kasouras and all Japanese?
(a) They are egocentric.
(b) They are creative.
(c) They are generous.
(d) They are artificial.
6. Why does Reiss resent his orders to cooperate with the police?
(a) Vom Meere has gone over his head.
(b) Vom Meere has spread lies about him.
(c) He opposes the leader chosen by the Reich.
(d) He feels it is a waste of time.
7. Why is Frank petrified when the police call him Fink?
(a) They have him confused with a wanted criminal.
(b) He has put Juliana in danger.
(c) They know he informed on Reiss.
(d) He will be sent back to Germany.
8. Why does Childan feel the Edfrank jewelry could give him an edge on the market?
(a) It is cheap and plentiful.
(b) It is mysterious and bold.
(c) It is unique and handmade.
(d) It is common and desirable.
9. In Chapter 12, what happens while Tagomi and his visitors meet in his office?
(a) Ramsey is caught listening in.
(b) He is informed of a bomb scare.
(c) He receives a call from Reiss.
(d) Armed guards come storming in.
10. What do Baynes's thoughts tell the reader about Mr. Yatabe at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) He is in the SD.
(b) Tagomi already knows him.
(c) He is a business executive.
(d) Baynes works for him.
11. What does Joe tell Juliana was the reason he picked her to be with him?
(a) She fits the profile of what attracts Abendsen.
(b) She knows where Frank has been hiding.
(c) He thought he deserved a little fun.
(d) He needs a hostage in order to escape.
12. What word best describes the mood at the Kasouras' home during Childan's visit?
13. In Chapter 11, what does Childan hear regarding Betty Kasoura that disappoints him?
(a) She never cared for Childan.
(b) She is separating from Paul.
(c) She never received the jewelry.
(d) She is returning to Japan.
14. While dining with the Kasouras, what word does Childan use to initially describe his own behavior?
15. What about Joe surprises Juliana as Chapter 13 opens?
(a) His demanding behavior.
(b) His abrupt departure.
(c) His mysterious phone call.
(d) His questionable guests.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of Chapter 7, what is Childan's reason for being at the home of the Kasouras?
2. As Chapter 10 closes, how does Tagomi's message from the I Ching come true?
3. In Chapter 11, what does Paul admit he has come to appreciate about the Edfrank jewelry Childan had given him?
4. Why does McCarthy, rather than Frank, go to Childan's shop to market their jewelry?
5. In Chapter 13, in the hotel room, how does Juliana settle her dispute with Joe?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)