|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, how do Paul and Betty react to Childan's comments about Abendsen's theories?
(a) They worry he will be persecuted.
(b) They report him to the officials.
(c) They realize they have an ally.
(d) They voice their disagreement.
2. What does Tagomi's experience in the all white diner and the discovery that he left his belongings in the park make him realize he must do?
(b) Move elsewhere.
3. In Chapter 12, what happens while Tagomi and his visitors meet in his office?
(a) Ramsey is caught listening in.
(b) He is informed of a bomb scare.
(c) Armed guards come storming in.
(d) He receives a call from Reiss.
4. Tagomi informs Reiss that Reiss's country is about to _________.
(b) Commit evil.
(d) Exile Reiss.
5. What do Juliana's questions about Joe's shirts and his knowledge of the valet service suggest she is thinking about Joe?
(a) He is ashamed of his heritage.
(b) He has been on the run.
(c) He has even more secrets.
(d) He is trying to impress her.
6. What are Americans portrayed as doing by the author of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy that impresses Juliana?
(a) Fighting to free the British.
(b) Helping to erase world suffering.
(c) Succeeding in conquering the world.
(d) Working to eliminate foreign competition.
7. What does Reiss find is his main role in the plan to capture Wegener?
(a) Handle Japanese complaints.
(b) Pretend to hate vom Meere.
(c) Distract the Abwehr.
(d) Invite Tagomi to police headquarters.
8. What does the discussion of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy lead Joe and Juliana to do?
(a) Research Abendsen's life at a library.
(b) Plan a visit to its author.
(c) Attend a lecture at the university.
(d) Write a letter to the newspaper.
9. As Childan sits on the carpet with the Kasouras, what do his thoughts reveal about how he has resolved his earlier merchandise problems?
(a) He is moving to another location.
(b) He is finding a new supplier.
(c) He is getting reimbursed by Calvin.
(d) He is buying from Wyndam-Matson.
10. What is Juliana''s situation at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) She is planning to return to California.
(b) She is being pursued by the police.
(c) She is moving in with the Abendsens.
(d) She is alone in a motel bed.
11. What does Joe tell Juliana was the reason he picked her to be with him?
(a) He thought he deserved a little fun.
(b) She knows where Frank has been hiding.
(c) She fits the profile of what attracts Abendsen.
(d) He needs a hostage in order to escape.
12. In Chapter 9, to whom does Childan decide to take a piece of jewelry?
(a) Hawthorne Abendsen.
(b) Mr. Tagomi.
(c) Betty Kasoura.
(d) Juliana Frink.
13. At the start of Chapter 10, what is Baynes's thinking his private meeting in Tagomi's office could mean for him?
(a) Success and great wealth.
(b) Fame and government promotion.
(c) Exile and public shame.
(d) Imprisonment and probable death.
14. As he sits in his office, engrossed in reading The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, what does Reiss suggest is the "power of fiction" ?
(a) Emotional appeal.
(b) Twisted plots.
(c) Careful phrasing.
(d) Realistic imagery.
15. Having a shadow cut off the sun just as Tagomi begins to read into the sun's effect on the jewelry in order to emphasize his mood is an example of the use of what literary device?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter 7 closes, what gives Childan a feeling of "excitement and anticipation?"
2. Why is Frank petrified when the police call him Fink?
3. How does Joe appear when he tries to explain to Juliana what Abendsen is saying in the novel?
4. In Chapter 11, what does Childan hear regarding Betty Kasoura that disappoints him?
5. At the meeting in Tagomi's office, what information does Wegener share with Tedeki and Tagomi?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)