|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Juliana do after she leaves the hotel?
(a) Begins to cry.
(b) Seeks help.
(c) Disguises herself.
(d) Steals a car.
2. In Chapter 10, as Juliana reads from The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, in what area does she discover the fictional Americans are like the Germans of her world?
(a) Agricultural production.
(b) Cultural achievements.
(c) Educational opportunity.
(d) Technological advancement.
3. What feeling best describes Juliana's reaction to Joe's explanation about his cash supply?
4. Because he feels The Grasshopper Lies Heavy is a dangerous book, what does Reiss think should happen to its author?
(a) He should be quietly arrested.
(b) He should be humiliated in public.
(c) He should be exposed as a liar.
(d) He should be secretly assassinated.
5. In Chapter 11, who is revealed to be the mystery Abwehr, Rudolf Wegener?
(a) Joe Cinnadella.
(b) Nobuke Tagomi.
(c) Frank Frink.
(d) Herr Baynes.
6. While dining with the Kasouras, what word does Childan use to initially describe his own behavior?
7. What does Juliana buy while Joe is checking into the hotel?
(a) Abendsen's book.
(b) Razor blades.
(c) A map.
(d) Some aspirin.
8. What does Joe tell Juliana was the reason he picked her to be with him?
(a) She fits the profile of what attracts Abendsen.
(b) He thought he deserved a little fun.
(c) He needs a hostage in order to escape.
(d) She knows where Frank has been hiding.
9. What does Juliana forget to do when she speaks to Abendsen's wife?
(a) Give her Joe's message.
(b) Get directions.
(c) Ask if Abendsen is there.
(d) Mention the assassination plot.
10. What does Tagomi do to spite Reiss?
(a) Communicates only through his assistant.
(b) Reports him to the Third Reich.
(c) Makes an appointment with vom Meere.
(d) Signs for the release of Frank.
11. What is different about Joe's hair when he comes out of the barbershop?
(a) It is short and blond.
(b) It is hidden by a wig.
(c) It is completely shaved off.
(d) It is straightened and trimmed.
12. In Chapter 8, what disguised personage is Reiss alerted to through a radiogram from his superiors?
(a) A Japanese general.
(b) A German official.
(c) An American businessman.
(d) An Italian diplomat.
13. What does the conversation between Childan and the Kasouras tell the reader has happened to the most humanitarian of the candidates for new Chancellor, von Schirach?
(a) He has been exiled.
(b) He is in hiding.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He has been imprisoned.
14. How does Joe appear when he tries to explain to Juliana what Abendsen is saying in the novel?
15. Having a shadow cut off the sun just as Tagomi begins to read into the sun's effect on the jewelry in order to emphasize his mood is an example of the use of what literary device?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Baynes's thoughts tell the reader about Mr. Yatabe at the end of Chapter 10?
2. What does the discussion of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy lead Joe and Juliana to do?
3. As Chapter 12 closes, what do Wegener and Tedeki realize is the source of Tagomi's despair?
4. What does Reiss find is his main role in the plan to capture Wegener?
5. What do Juliana's questions about Joe's shirts and his knowledge of the valet service suggest she is thinking about Joe?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)