|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Juliana buy while Joe is checking into the hotel?
(a) A map.
(b) Razor blades.
(c) Abendsen's book.
(d) Some aspirin.
2. Having a shadow cut off the sun just as Tagomi begins to read into the sun's effect on the jewelry in order to emphasize his mood is an example of the use of what literary device?
3. How does Childan feel about the offer made by Paul's business associates?
4. What does vom Meere intend to do to Wegener after his men surround him?
(a) Force him into the German jurisdiction.
(b) Paralyze him and take him away.
(c) Murder him before he does harm.
(d) Frighten his plans out of him.
5. In Chapter 13, in the hotel room, how does Juliana settle her dispute with Joe?
(a) By escaping through a bathroom window.
(b) By giving him Frank's address.
(c) By agreeing to help with his plan.
(d) By slitting his throat with a razor.
6. At the meeting in Tagomi's office, what information does Wegener share with Tedeki and Tagomi?
(a) Germany now heads the PSA.
(b) Japan is about to be attacked.
(c) Americans are planning an uprising.
(d) San Francisco has become a neutral zone.
7. As Childan sits on the carpet with the Kasouras, what do his thoughts reveal about how he has resolved his earlier merchandise problems?
(a) He is getting reimbursed by Calvin.
(b) He is buying from Wyndam-Matson.
(c) He is moving to another location.
(d) He is finding a new supplier.
8. What do Juliana and Joe argue over after entering their hotel room?
(a) Joe's change in plans.
(b) Joe's disregard for privacy.
(c) Juliana's taste in clothing.
(d) Their lack of funds.
9. What does Tagomi's experience in the all white diner and the discovery that he left his belongings in the park make him realize he must do?
(b) Move elsewhere.
10. In Chapter 9, where does Joe suggest he and Juliana go?
(a) To Italy to visit his family.
(b) To San Francisco and find Frank.
(c) To New York for better jobs.
(d) To Denver to shop and play.
11. In Chapter 8, what disguised personage is Reiss alerted to through a radiogram from his superiors?
(a) A Japanese general.
(b) A German official.
(c) An Italian diplomat.
(d) An American businessman.
12. As Chapter 10 closes, how does Tagomi's message from the I Ching come true?
(a) Childan's gift has been delivered.
(b) Ramsey is actually the spy.
(c) His office has been wiretapped.
(d) Mr. Yatabe has finally arrived.
13. What does Tagomi feel he can no longer do now that his most prized possession has been tainted with evil?
(a) Be a collector.
(b) Live in his home.
(c) Trust anyone.
(d) Oversee trade deals.
14. After McCarthy shows Childan the Edfrank jewelry, Childan decides to _________________.
(a) Take it on consignment.
(b) Buy the entire stock.
(c) Use it as a window display.
(d) Rent a space in a shop.
15. The fate of what real group of people does Childan's statement, "I am an outsider in my own country" bring to mind?
(a) African slaves.
(b) European pioneers.
(c) Polish Immigrants.
(d) Native Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abendsen's novel envision the American work force as being?
2. What does Juliana do after she leaves the hotel?
3. What does Chapter 9 reveal about how the earlier incident at Childan's store has left him feeling?
4. After having dinner with the Kasouras, Childan says he no longer feels________________.
5. What does Juliana forget to do when she speaks to Abendsen's wife?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)