|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, why are the police waiting for Childan when he returns home from the dinner?
(a) To arrest him for revolutionary thinking.
(b) To have him identify a photo of Frank.
(c) To question him about the jewelry he sells.
(d) To get information about the Kasouras.
2. Toward the end of Chapter 12, what does Tagomi realize about Reiss and vom Meere?
(a) They are behind Ramsey's defection.
(b) They are eager to help him out.
(c) They are working undercover for Japan.
(d) They are responsible for the surprise attack.
3. As Chapter 14 opens, what is Tagomi doing?
(a) Plotting to get revenge.
(b) Hopelessly wandering the city.
(c) Seeking vom Meere's help.
(d) Sadly packing his belongings.
4. What about Joe surprises Juliana as Chapter 13 opens?
(a) His abrupt departure.
(b) His questionable guests.
(c) His demanding behavior.
(d) His mysterious phone call.
5. In Chapter 11, what does Paul admit he has come to appreciate about the Edfrank jewelry Childan had given him?
(a) Its artistic design.
(b) Its historic significance.
(c) Its spiritual value.
(d) Its material make-up.
6. As he sits in his office, engrossed in reading The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, what does Reiss suggest is the "power of fiction" ?
(a) Twisted plots.
(b) Realistic imagery.
(c) Careful phrasing.
(d) Emotional appeal.
7. In Chapter 8, who is Police Chief vom Meere looking for when he calls Reiss's office?
(a) A candidate under consideration for chancellor.
(b) A high official of the Trade Mission.
(c) An undercover Jew of the Abwehr.
(d) The head of W-M Corporation.
8. What does Abendsen's novel envision the American work force as being?
(a) Equal in pay and ability.
(b) Made up of robots.
(c) On a volunteer basis.
(d) Respected and well compensated.
9. In Chapter 13, what does Juliana come to realize as the real job for which Joe was hired?
(a) To return her to Frank.
(b) To kill Hawthorne Abendsen.
(c) To destroy the American territories.
(d) To deliver Frank to the Germans.
10. How does Joe appear when he tries to explain to Juliana what Abendsen is saying in the novel?
11. What does the I Ching tell Juliana when she consults it for advice?
(a) To warn Abendsen.
(b) To call Frank.
(c) To notify the police.
(d) To return to Colorado.
12. What is Frank doing as Chapter 14 ends?
(a) Leaving to find his ex-wife.
(b) Working again for Wyndam-Matson.
(c) Returning to the jewelry business.
(d) Entering a prison camp.
13. What does the discussion of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy lead Joe and Juliana to do?
(a) Plan a visit to its author.
(b) Write a letter to the newspaper.
(c) Research Abendsen's life at a library.
(d) Attend a lecture at the university.
14. What does Juliana forget to do when she speaks to Abendsen's wife?
(a) Give her Joe's message.
(b) Get directions.
(c) Mention the assassination plot.
(d) Ask if Abendsen is there.
15. When speaking to Betty Kasoura at her home, how is Childan feeling about her?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reiss find is his main role in the plan to capture Wegener?
2. What does Chapter 9 reveal about how the earlier incident at Childan's store has left him feeling?
3. When Tagomi inquires about General Tedeki in Chapter 14, he learns Tedeki is ________________.
4. In Chapter 10, as Juliana reads from The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, in what area does she discover the fictional Americans are like the Germans of her world?
5. What does the raised eyebrow and slight smile Childan detects on Paul's face after having demanded an apology from him suggest?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)