|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of person does Reiss conclude must have written The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
(a) A Slav.
(b) A Jew.
(c) A Black.
(d) A Woman.
2. What does the I Ching tell Juliana when she consults it for advice?
(a) To notify the police.
(b) To warn Abendsen.
(c) To return to Colorado.
(d) To call Frank.
3. In Chapter 11, who is revealed to be the mystery Abwehr, Rudolf Wegener?
(a) Nobuke Tagomi.
(b) Frank Frink.
(c) Herr Baynes.
(d) Joe Cinnadella.
4. Why does Reiss resent his orders to cooperate with the police?
(a) He feels it is a waste of time.
(b) Vom Meere has gone over his head.
(c) Vom Meere has spread lies about him.
(d) He opposes the leader chosen by the Reich.
5. What does Juliana do after she leaves the hotel?
(a) Seeks help.
(b) Begins to cry.
(c) Steals a car.
(d) Disguises herself.
6. When speaking to Betty Kasoura at her home, how is Childan feeling about her?
7. What do Juliana and Joe argue over after entering their hotel room?
(a) Their lack of funds.
(b) Joe's disregard for privacy.
(c) Juliana's taste in clothing.
(d) Joe's change in plans.
8. In Chapter 13, in the hotel room, how does Juliana settle her dispute with Joe?
(a) By slitting his throat with a razor.
(b) By escaping through a bathroom window.
(c) By giving him Frank's address.
(d) By agreeing to help with his plan.
9. At the start of Chapter 10, what is Baynes's thinking his private meeting in Tagomi's office could mean for him?
(a) Imprisonment and probable death.
(b) Fame and government promotion.
(c) Success and great wealth.
(d) Exile and public shame.
10. What does vom Meere intend to do to Wegener after his men surround him?
(a) Paralyze him and take him away.
(b) Frighten his plans out of him.
(c) Murder him before he does harm.
(d) Force him into the German jurisdiction.
11. In Chapter 12, why has Frank decided to quit the jewelry business?
(a) Juliana has contacted him.
(b) Nothing has been sold.
(c) McCarthy's partnering with Childan.
(d) He realizes he has no talent.
12. In Chapter 10, as Juliana reads from The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, in what area does she discover the fictional Americans are like the Germans of her world?
(a) Technological advancement.
(b) Cultural achievements.
(c) Agricultural production.
(d) Educational opportunity.
13. When Tagomi inquires about General Tedeki in Chapter 14, he learns Tedeki is ________________.
(a) On his way back to Tokyo.
(b) In a German prison.
(c) Enjoying a deserved retirement.
(d) Still in his building.
14. In Chapter 8, who is Police Chief vom Meere looking for when he calls Reiss's office?
(a) An undercover Jew of the Abwehr.
(b) The head of W-M Corporation.
(c) A high official of the Trade Mission.
(d) A candidate under consideration for chancellor.
15. Tagomi informs Reiss that Reiss's country is about to _________.
(a) Exile Reiss.
(d) Commit evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe tell Juliana was the reason he picked her to be with him?
2. What feeling best describes Juliana's reaction to Joe's explanation about his cash supply?
3. Why does Wegener give the cigarette case to Tedeki?
4. In Chapter 8, what disguised personage is Reiss alerted to through a radiogram from his superiors?
5. While dining with the Kasouras, what word does Childan use to initially describe his own behavior?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)