|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does vom Meere intend to do to Wegener after his men surround him?
(a) Force him into the German jurisdiction.
(b) Paralyze him and take him away.
(c) Murder him before he does harm.
(d) Frighten his plans out of him.
2. The fate of what real group of people does Childan's statement, "I am an outsider in my own country" bring to mind?
(a) European pioneers.
(b) Polish Immigrants.
(c) African slaves.
(d) Native Americans.
3. After telling Tagomi he can't return his Colt .44, what does Childan promise him the jewelry he buys will bring him?
(a) A rise in popularity.
(b) Protection from his enemies.
(c) A return to material desires.
(d) A sense of renewal.
4. In Chapter 11, what does Paul admit he has come to appreciate about the Edfrank jewelry Childan had given him?
(a) Its artistic design.
(b) Its spiritual value.
(c) Its historic significance.
(d) Its material make-up.
5. What does Juliana do after she leaves the hotel?
(a) Begins to cry.
(b) Disguises herself.
(c) Seeks help.
(d) Steals a car.
6. While dining with the Kasouras, what word does Childan use to initially describe his own behavior?
7. How does Joe appear when he tries to explain to Juliana what Abendsen is saying in the novel?
8. What does Baynes, really Captain Wegener of the Reich's Naval Counter Intelligence , tell Tagomi about the reason he is in the PSA?
(a) He is acting independently from the Reich.
(b) He is helping Americans take back their country.
(c) He is representing the newly elected Chancellor.
(d) He is replacing Reiss in San Francisco.
9. What feeling best describes Juliana's reaction to Joe's explanation about his cash supply?
10. What does Juliana forget to do when she speaks to Abendsen's wife?
(a) Mention the assassination plot.
(b) Ask if Abendsen is there.
(c) Give her Joe's message.
(d) Get directions.
11. Why does Reiss resent his orders to cooperate with the police?
(a) Vom Meere has gone over his head.
(b) He opposes the leader chosen by the Reich.
(c) He feels it is a waste of time.
(d) Vom Meere has spread lies about him.
12. Why does Childan feel he must read The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
(a) To advance his social skills.
(b) To further understand his shop's clientele.
(c) To fulfill his patriotic duty.
(d) To keep up with the Kasouras.
13. In Chapter 11, what does Childan hear regarding Betty Kasoura that disappoints him?
(a) She never cared for Childan.
(b) She is separating from Paul.
(c) She never received the jewelry.
(d) She is returning to Japan.
14. After having dinner with the Kasouras, Childan says he no longer feels________________.
15. Toward the end of Chapter 12, what does Tagomi realize about Reiss and vom Meere?
(a) They are behind Ramsey's defection.
(b) They are responsible for the surprise attack.
(c) They are eager to help him out.
(d) They are working undercover for Japan.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, where does Joe suggest he and Juliana go?
2. As Chapter 12 closes, what do Wegener and Tedeki realize is the source of Tagomi's despair?
3. What does the discussion of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy lead Joe and Juliana to do?
4. What does Tagomi's experience in the all white diner and the discovery that he left his belongings in the park make him realize he must do?
5. As Childan sits on the carpet with the Kasouras, what do his thoughts reveal about how he has resolved his earlier merchandise problems?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)