|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Americans portrayed as doing by the author of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy that impresses Juliana?
(a) Helping to erase world suffering.
(b) Fighting to free the British.
(c) Working to eliminate foreign competition.
(d) Succeeding in conquering the world.
2. Why does McCarthy, rather than Frank, go to Childan's shop to market their jewelry?
(a) McCarthy is more sociable.
(b) Childan might recognize Frank.
(c) Frank is busy producing more.
(d) Childan is a childhood friend.
3. As Chapter 7 closes, what gives Childan a feeling of "excitement and anticipation?"
(a) The rumors of a civil war.
(b) The selection of the new German leader.
(c) The new directions his business is taking.
(d) His future with the Kasouras.
4. What does the raised eyebrow and slight smile Childan detects on Paul's face after having demanded an apology from him suggest?
(a) Shaken superiority.
(b) Pleasant surprise.
(c) Secret warning.
(d) Mocking criticism.
5. How does Joe appear when he tries to explain to Juliana what Abendsen is saying in the novel?
6. What about Joe surprises Juliana as Chapter 13 opens?
(a) His abrupt departure.
(b) His demanding behavior.
(c) His mysterious phone call.
(d) His questionable guests.
7. What is different about Joe's hair when he comes out of the barbershop?
(a) It is hidden by a wig.
(b) It is short and blond.
(c) It is completely shaved off.
(d) It is straightened and trimmed.
8. What do Juliana's questions about Joe's shirts and his knowledge of the valet service suggest she is thinking about Joe?
(a) He has been on the run.
(b) He is ashamed of his heritage.
(c) He is trying to impress her.
(d) He has even more secrets.
9. After McCarthy shows Childan the Edfrank jewelry, Childan decides to _________________.
(a) Buy the entire stock.
(b) Use it as a window display.
(c) Rent a space in a shop.
(d) Take it on consignment.
10. In Chapter 9, what does Joe admit to really being career-wise?
(a) A clothing designer.
(b) A book reviewer.
(c) A military policeman.
(d) An armed guard.
11. While dining with the Kasouras, what word does Childan use to initially describe his own behavior?
12. At the end of Chapter 14, where is Tagomi?
(a) Leaving his home.
(b) In his office.
(c) On a park bench.
(d) In an ancient temple.
13. In Chapter 7, why are the police waiting for Childan when he returns home from the dinner?
(a) To get information about the Kasouras.
(b) To have him identify a photo of Frank.
(c) To question him about the jewelry he sells.
(d) To arrest him for revolutionary thinking.
14. In Chapter 12, what happens while Tagomi and his visitors meet in his office?
(a) Ramsey is caught listening in.
(b) He is informed of a bomb scare.
(c) He receives a call from Reiss.
(d) Armed guards come storming in.
15. What does Tagomi feel he can no longer do now that his most prized possession has been tainted with evil?
(a) Be a collector.
(b) Oversee trade deals.
(c) Live in his home.
(d) Trust anyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Frank doing as Chapter 14 ends?
2. Why does Childan feel he must read The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
3. What does Baynes, really Captain Wegener of the Reich's Naval Counter Intelligence , tell Tagomi about the reason he is in the PSA?
4. What does Chapter 9 reveal about how the earlier incident at Childan's store has left him feeling?
5. What feeling best describes Juliana's reaction to Joe's explanation about his cash supply?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)