|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is different about Joe's hair when he comes out of the barbershop?
(a) It is hidden by a wig.
(b) It is short and blond.
(c) It is completely shaved off.
(d) It is straightened and trimmed.
2. As Chapter 14 opens, what is Tagomi doing?
(a) Hopelessly wandering the city.
(b) Seeking vom Meere's help.
(c) Plotting to get revenge.
(d) Sadly packing his belongings.
3. At the start of Chapter 10, what is Baynes's thinking his private meeting in Tagomi's office could mean for him?
(a) Exile and public shame.
(b) Fame and government promotion.
(c) Imprisonment and probable death.
(d) Success and great wealth.
4. What does Juliana forget to do when she speaks to Abendsen's wife?
(a) Mention the assassination plot.
(b) Ask if Abendsen is there.
(c) Give her Joe's message.
(d) Get directions.
5. After telling Tagomi he can't return his Colt .44, what does Childan promise him the jewelry he buys will bring him?
(a) A rise in popularity.
(b) A sense of renewal.
(c) A return to material desires.
(d) Protection from his enemies.
6. What does Joe tell Juliana was the reason he picked her to be with him?
(a) She fits the profile of what attracts Abendsen.
(b) He thought he deserved a little fun.
(c) He needs a hostage in order to escape.
(d) She knows where Frank has been hiding.
7. What does vom Meere intend to do to Wegener after his men surround him?
(a) Paralyze him and take him away.
(b) Frighten his plans out of him.
(c) Force him into the German jurisdiction.
(d) Murder him before he does harm.
8. What does Tagomi's experience in the all white diner and the discovery that he left his belongings in the park make him realize he must do?
(a) Move elsewhere.
9. What does Tagomi do to spite Reiss?
(a) Signs for the release of Frank.
(b) Reports him to the Third Reich.
(c) Makes an appointment with vom Meere.
(d) Communicates only through his assistant.
10. While dining with the Kasouras, what word does Childan use to initially describe his own behavior?
11. Having a shadow cut off the sun just as Tagomi begins to read into the sun's effect on the jewelry in order to emphasize his mood is an example of the use of what literary device?
12. According to Abendsen's novel, what problem has been solved as a result of the Allies' victory?
(a) Global warming.
(b) British colonization.
(c) American racism.
(d) Religious differences.
13. How does Joe appear when he tries to explain to Juliana what Abendsen is saying in the novel?
14. What are Americans portrayed as doing by the author of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy that impresses Juliana?
(a) Fighting to free the British.
(b) Working to eliminate foreign competition.
(c) Succeeding in conquering the world.
(d) Helping to erase world suffering.
15. In Chapter 7, how do Paul and Betty react to Childan's comments about Abendsen's theories?
(a) They report him to the officials.
(b) They voice their disagreement.
(c) They worry he will be persecuted.
(d) They realize they have an ally.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Frank feel Juliana can use her talent to help the Edfrank Jewelry business?
2. What does the discussion of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy lead Joe and Juliana to do?
3. Why does Wegener give the cigarette case to Tedeki?
4. Why does Childan feel he must read The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
5. What does Reiss find is his main role in the plan to capture Wegener?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)