|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What image set forth in The Grasshopper Lies Heavy seems to upset Joe the most?
(a) The USA as a weakling.
(b) Japan as greedy.
(c) Italy as a traitor.
(d) Germany as a hero.
2. Who does Rita note her parents said would have won WW II if he had lived?
3. How does Mrs. Kasoura seem to Childan?
4. What is rumored about Germany that concerns both Tagomi and Juliana?
(a) Germany is about to invade the Pacific States.
(b) Germany is going to lose its leader.
(c) Germany is aligning itself with China.
(d) Germany is about to break communication channels.
5. What does Frank's memory of the landlord Omuro being beheaded by the Japanese Mission because of profiteering off ex-servicemen say about the Japanese?
(a) They desire wealth.
(b) They respect the law.
(c) They are loyal to their religion.
(d) They are cruel to Americans.
6. As Chapter 2 opens, what is Tagomi consulting the I Ching about?
(a) His upcoming visitor.
(b) His romantic future.
(c) His job security.
(d) His physical health.
7. What are Frank 's intentions when he returns to the factory?
(a) To get his tools back.
(b) To apologize to his boss.
(c) To pick up his paycheck.
(d) To protect his friend's job.
8. For what reason does Tagomi think Baynes is coming to visit him?
(a) To mediate peace negotiations.
(b) To seek release of political prisoners.
(c) To arrange for a trade agreement.
(d) To share technological information.
9. According to Wyndam-Matson, how does bringing up the past tend to make people feel?
10. What technique is used in Chapter 4 to introduce the reader to the character of Wyndam-Matson?
11. What is Wyndam-Matson certain of when he hears Calvin's complaint?
(a) Calvin will go to the police.
(b) He will never be found out.
(c) Frank and McCarthy are behind this.
(d) Childan is only looking for money.
12. Why does Childan most likely have the fresh marigolds and background music playing in his shop?
(a) To emphasize his cultural preferences.
(b) To confirm his social standing.
(c) To distract from its shabbiness.
(d) To create a pleasant atmosphere.
13. What is discovered as being the source of W-M Corporation's real profit?
(a) Inferior construction materials.
(b) Fake antique guns.
(c) Counterfeit war bonds.
(d) Imitation Chinese artifacts.
14. According to Tagomi, what aspect of the German massacre of the Jews caused the Japanese to refuse to participate?
(a) It was barbaric and racist.
(b) It was irrelevant and distracting.
(c) It was unsupervised and unholy.
(d) It was costly and dangerous.
15. In Chapter 6, what does The Oracle predict that further distresses Tagomi?
(a) The destruction of the PSA.
(b) A global catastrophe..
(c) His own death.
(d) His wife will leave him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juliana feel the Germans have made little advancement in despite having gone to Mars?
2. What is Childan in the business of selling?
3. Why has Paul Kasoura come to San Francisco?
4. What contradiction does the Oracle's message predict that leaves Frank confused?
5. What does Rita, Wyndam-Matson's girlfriend, suggest that he should do to handle the problem which he learned about from Calvin?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)