|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Wyndam-Matson, how does bringing up the past tend to make people feel?
2. While visiting with Tagomi in Chapter 5, what does Baynes feel regret about?
(a) An airline conversation.
(b) The cultural prejudice.
(c) A political action.
(d) A public speech.
3. Why does Tagomi feel it would be better if his assistant, Ramsey, selected the gift for Baynes?
(a) He is socially active.
(b) He is native born.
(c) He is Swedish bred.
(d) He is artistically inclined.
4. What best describes the territory of the Rocky Mountain States?
5. What does Baynes make clear to Tagomi in Chapter 5 about Mr. Yatabe's visit?
(a) It must be uncompensated.
(b) It must be secret.
(c) It must be brief.
(d) It must be recorded.
6. What does Frank decide to do as a result of the Oracle's message?
(a) Live life as best he can.
(b) Send a message to Juliana.
(c) Beg to get his job back.
(d) Seek Childan's business advice.
7. What Axis power is most accepting of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
8. How do the Kasouras differ from Tagomi in their treatment of Childan?
(a) They treat him as an equal.
(b) They treat him like he is non-existent.
(c) They act superior to him.
(d) They act inferior to him.
9. How does Mrs. Kasoura seem to Childan?
10. What does McCarthy tell Frank he has a plan to get for their business?
(a) Shop space from an uncle.
(b) Financing from their former boss.
(c) Approval from the Japanese Ministry.
(d) Materials from an old friend.
11. What about Frank makes it difficult for him to move to a new territory?
(a) His limited skills.
(b) His criminal background.
(c) His older age.
(d) His ethnic background.
12. What technique is used in Chapter 4 to introduce the reader to the character of Wyndam-Matson?
13. After recognizing the significance of Joe's tattoo, what does Juliana realize Joe was part of in World War II?
(a) The Axis Army.
(b) The Red Cross.
(c) The Allied Army.
(d) The Neutral zone.
14. In Chapter 6, Tagomi is now convinced that Baynes really is ___________.
(a) A German national.
(b) An inspection agent.
(c) An allied convert.
(d) An escaped prisoner.
15. What word best describes Childan's overall opinion of the Germans?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Childan do as a result of what he has learned from the university in Chapter 4?
2. According to Childan, what is special about some of the people his shop gives him the opportunity to meet?
3. To what does Tagomi attribute Ramsey' s tanning by sun lamp?
4. What words best describe how Joe views the British?
5. What are Frank 's intentions when he returns to the factory?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)