|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Childan returns to his office in Chapter 4, who does the client waiting for him claim to represent?
(a) A businessman from the Middle East.
(b) A leader of the Third Reich.
(c) An Admiral of the Imperial Army.
(d) An agent from the Trade Commission.
2. How do the Kasouras differ from Tagomi in their treatment of Childan?
(a) They act superior to him.
(b) They act inferior to him.
(c) They treat him like he is non-existent.
(d) They treat him as an equal.
3. What technique is used in Chapter 4 to introduce the reader to the character of Wyndam-Matson?
4. What does the order in which languages are used in making airline announcements symbolize?
(a) Class structure.
(b) Educational priorities.
(c) Geographic patterns.
(d) Multicultural diversity.
5. How does the discussion between Joe and Juliana, inspired by Abendsen's novel, leave Juliana feeling?
6. How does the simile, "like a little animal, not important, but smart" describe the way Joe acts?
(a) Quietly and spontaneously.
(b) Wildly and spontaneously.
(c) Alertly and instinctively.
(d) Politely and rationally.
7. What does McCarthy tell Frank he has a plan to get for their business?
(a) Financing from their former boss.
(b) Shop space from an uncle.
(c) Materials from an old friend.
(d) Approval from the Japanese Ministry.
8. What best describes the territory of the Rocky Mountain States?
9. What word best describes Wyndam-Matson's reaction when Rita tells him about The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
10. What is learned about the role of Blacks in the PSA?
(a) They are slaves.
(b) They drive taxis.
(c) They are the military police.
(d) They are informants.
11. Why does Tagomi feel it would be better if his assistant, Ramsey, selected the gift for Baynes?
(a) He is artistically inclined.
(b) He is socially active.
(c) He is Swedish bred.
(d) He is native born.
12. According to Tagomi, what aspect of the German massacre of the Jews caused the Japanese to refuse to participate?
(a) It was costly and dangerous.
(b) It was irrelevant and distracting.
(c) It was barbaric and racist.
(d) It was unsupervised and unholy.
13. How would you describe the feelings attached to Juliana's and Joe's memories of "living under the Nazis"?
(a) They are influenced by their careers.
(b) They are defined by their experiences.
(c) They are the result of psychotherapy.
(d) They are the product of brainwashing.
14. What other name does the I Ching go by?
(a) The Mission of Inquiry.
(b) The Oracle.
(c) The Justification Committee.
(d) The Reich.
15. According to Childan, what is special about some of the people his shop gives him the opportunity to meet?
(a) They see him as a man.
(b) They can raise his social status.
(c) They share in his political views.
(d) They are willing to help others.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mystery client encourage Childan to report?
2. What Joe does suggest that Abendsen's living in a place called The High Castle reflects?
3. How does Childan's ride in the pedicab make him feel?
4. What does Frank decide to do as a result of the Oracle's message?
5. What does the reader learn about Albert Speer's approach to revitalizing the USA, as evidenced in New York City?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)