|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Childan learn about the carrier ship Syokaku from the Tokyo Herald?
(a) It sunk years ago.
(b) It never existed.
(c) It is docked in Tokyo.
(d) It is en route to Germany.
2. What does the young driver's discovery about the character of Baynes suggest about the novel?
(a) The point of view will change.
(b) The plot may move in a new direction.
(c) The main conflict is about to be resolved.
(d) The setting will shift to Europe.
3. In Chapter 3, what do we learn about how Juliana Frink makes her living?
(a) As a judo instructor.
(b) As an investigative reporter.
(c) As a social worker.
(d) As a diner waitress.
4. What does the reader learn about Albert Speer's approach to revitalizing the USA, as evidenced in New York City?
(a) It exploits natural resources.
(b) It purchases devalued stocks.
(c) It eliminates economic competition.
(d) It employs Japanese immigrants.
5. What does the mystery client encourage Childan to report?
(a) Discovered forgeries to the police.
(b) Increased customer demands to his suppliers.
(c) Missing items to the authorities
(d) Shipping failures to the Trade Commission.
6. What makes Juliana certain she and Joe could never be part of the colonization on other planets?
(a) Their illicit relationship.
(b) Their personal fears.
(c) Their physical features.
(d) Their political views.
7. Because he is Swedish, who does Tagomi believe Mr. Baynes will probably politically favor?
8. What does the author use to establish the relationship between Frank and McCarthy, his foreman?
(a) Physical description.
(b) Another character's observations.
(c) Conversational dialog.
(d) First person point-of-view.
9. What is revealed about Baynes when the young driver tries to make conversation with him in Chapter 5?
(a) He doesn't speak Swedish.
(b) He doesn't acknowledge inferiors.
(c) He doesn't like Orientals.
(d) He doesn't understand Japanese.
10. What image set forth in The Grasshopper Lies Heavy seems to upset Joe the most?
(a) Japan as greedy.
(b) Germany as a hero.
(c) The USA as a weakling.
(d) Italy as a traitor.
11. According to Wyndam-Matson, how does bringing up the past tend to make people feel?
12. What word describes Baynes's reaction to Tagomi's gift and home furnishings?
13. How are Tagomi and Childan similar?
(a) They are concerned with outward appearances.
(b) They are seeking social equality.
(c) They are feared by their peers.
(d) They are involved in secret missions.
14. What does Frank decide to do as a result of the Oracle's message?
(a) Send a message to Juliana.
(b) Live life as best he can.
(c) Beg to get his job back.
(d) Seek Childan's business advice.
15. Frank sees the Edfrank Jewelry business as, perhaps, a way of ____________.
(a) Improving racial relations.
(b) Avenging Wyndam-Matson.
(c) Remaining socially anonymous.
(d) Getting Juliana back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word would sum up Frank's opinion of McCarthy?
2. What does Frank's use of the I Ching suggest about him?
3. How does the discussion between Joe and Juliana, inspired by Abendsen's novel, leave Juliana feeling?
4. What word best describes Wyndam-Matson's reaction when Rita tells him about The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
5. What does Tagomi receive that makes him become suspicious of Baynes's real intentions?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)