|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baynes make clear to Tagomi in Chapter 5 about Mr. Yatabe's visit?
(a) It must be brief.
(b) It must be secret.
(c) It must be recorded.
(d) It must be uncompensated.
2. What does McCarthy suggest is the reason Frank is initially reluctant to start his own business?
(a) Fear of Wyndam-Matson's revenge.
(b) Repeated past job failures.
(c) Years of political brainwashing.
(d) Threats of harming Juliana.
3. What does Childan do as a result of what he has learned from the university in Chapter 4?
(a) He hires an armed night watchman.
(b) He files an anonymous police report.
(c) He decides to close his shop.
(d) He seeks reimbursement from his supplier.
4. What does Frank's memory of the landlord Omuro being beheaded by the Japanese Mission because of profiteering off ex-servicemen say about the Japanese?
(a) They are loyal to their religion.
(b) They are cruel to Americans.
(c) They desire wealth.
(d) They respect the law.
5. For what reason does Tagomi think Baynes is coming to visit him?
(a) To arrange for a trade agreement.
(b) To share technological information.
(c) To mediate peace negotiations.
(d) To seek release of political prisoners.
6. What image set forth in The Grasshopper Lies Heavy seems to upset Joe the most?
(a) Italy as a traitor.
(b) The USA as a weakling.
(c) Germany as a hero.
(d) Japan as greedy.
7. How does the discussion between Joe and Juliana, inspired by Abendsen's novel, leave Juliana feeling?
8. Why has Paul Kasoura come to San Francisco?
(a) For his honeymoon.
(b) For a military assignment.
(c) For government work.
(d) For a conference.
9. What word best describes Childan's overall opinion of the Germans?
10. What technique is used in Chapter 4 to introduce the reader to the character of Wyndam-Matson?
11. How does the simile, "like a little animal, not important, but smart" describe the way Joe acts?
(a) Alertly and instinctively.
(b) Politely and rationally.
(c) Quietly and spontaneously.
(d) Wildly and spontaneously.
12. Frank sees the Edfrank Jewelry business as, perhaps, a way of ____________.
(a) Remaining socially anonymous.
(b) Avenging Wyndam-Matson.
(c) Getting Juliana back.
(d) Improving racial relations.
13. What is Frank Frink worrying about when the reader first meets him?
(a) Losing his job.
(b) Buying a home.
(c) Finding his friend.
(d) Angering his wife.
14. What has caused Africa to become a wasteland?
(a) Italian colonization.
(b) Nazi experimentation on humans.
(c) Asian exploitation of resources.
(d) American bombing.
15. What word would sum up Frank's opinion of McCarthy?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the city of San Francisco described?
2. What word best describes Wyndam-Matson's reaction when Rita tells him about The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
3. What is it about Ramsey that makes Tagomi unwilling to share all the information about Baynes with him?
4. To what does Tagomi attribute Ramsey' s tanning by sun lamp?
5. What are Frank 's intentions when he returns to the factory?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)