|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While visiting with Tagomi in Chapter 5, what does Baynes feel regret about?
(a) A public speech.
(b) An airline conversation.
(c) The cultural prejudice.
(d) A political action.
2. What does the author use to establish the relationship between Frank and McCarthy, his foreman?
(a) Conversational dialog.
(b) First person point-of-view.
(c) Physical description.
(d) Another character's observations.
3. What does Childan learn about the carrier ship Syokaku from the Tokyo Herald?
(a) It is en route to Germany.
(b) It is docked in Tokyo.
(c) It sunk years ago.
(d) It never existed.
4. In Chapter 3, what do we learn about how Juliana Frink makes her living?
(a) As a judo instructor.
(b) As an investigative reporter.
(c) As a social worker.
(d) As a diner waitress.
5. What Axis power is most accepting of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
6. What is rumored about Germany that concerns both Tagomi and Juliana?
(a) Germany is about to invade the Pacific States.
(b) Germany is about to break communication channels.
(c) Germany is going to lose its leader.
(d) Germany is aligning itself with China.
7. Tagomi expresses his dislike of the German practices toward what group of people?
(a) Elderly citizens.
(b) Farm laborers.
(c) Foreign visitors.
(d) Industrial workers.
8. What does the young driver's discovery about the character of Baynes suggest about the novel?
(a) The main conflict is about to be resolved.
(b) The setting will shift to Europe.
(c) The plot may move in a new direction.
(d) The point of view will change.
9. What about Frank makes it difficult for him to move to a new territory?
(a) His ethnic background.
(b) His older age.
(c) His limited skills.
(d) His criminal background.
10. In Chapter 4, what does McCarthy encourage Frank to do?
(a) Work as though nothing has happened.
(b) Make use of his talents.
(c) Go study for a new trade.
(d) Challenge Wyndam-Matson in court.
11. To what does Tagomi attribute Ramsey' s tanning by sun lamp?
(a) His desire to meet pretty women.
(b) His desire to improve his health.
(c) His desire to fit in.
(d) His desire to be outside.
12. What word describes Baynes's reaction to Tagomi's gift and home furnishings?
13. When Childan returns to his office in Chapter 4, who does the client waiting for him claim to represent?
(a) An Admiral of the Imperial Army.
(b) A leader of the Third Reich.
(c) A businessman from the Middle East.
(d) An agent from the Trade Commission.
14. In Chapter 6, what does The Oracle predict that further distresses Tagomi?
(a) A global catastrophe..
(b) His own death.
(c) His wife will leave him.
(d) The destruction of the PSA.
15. Who does Rita note her parents said would have won WW II if he had lived?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter 2 opens, what is Tagomi consulting the I Ching about?
2. Why does Childan most likely have the fresh marigolds and background music playing in his shop?
3. What word would sum up Frank's opinion of McCarthy?
4. What technique is used in Chapter 4 to introduce the reader to the character of Wyndam-Matson?
5. Joe's comments about the war and the Germans show that he is opposed to ___________.
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)