|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Childan, what is special about some of the people his shop gives him the opportunity to meet?
(a) They are willing to help others.
(b) They share in his political views.
(c) They can raise his social status.
(d) They see him as a man.
2. What does the reader learn about Albert Speer's approach to revitalizing the USA, as evidenced in New York City?
(a) It exploits natural resources.
(b) It employs Japanese immigrants.
(c) It purchases devalued stocks.
(d) It eliminates economic competition.
3. What upsets Tagomi causing him to leave the special session of the Foreign Office?
(a) Loss of German supremacy.
(b) Appetizers he was served.
(c) The evil in the world.
(d) A diagnosis he earlier received.
4. What does Childan learn about the carrier ship Syokaku from the Tokyo Herald?
(a) It sunk years ago.
(b) It is en route to Germany.
(c) It is docked in Tokyo.
(d) It never existed.
5. What does Frank's use of the I Ching suggest about him?
(a) He yearns for Japanese acceptance.
(b) He is of Oriental heritage.
(c) He puts faith in its advice.
(d) He has no one to talk to.
6. What technique is used in Chapter 4 to introduce the reader to the character of Wyndam-Matson?
7. What does McCarthy tell Frank he has a plan to get for their business?
(a) Financing from their former boss.
(b) Shop space from an uncle.
(c) Materials from an old friend.
(d) Approval from the Japanese Ministry.
8. What Joe does suggest that Abendsen's living in a place called The High Castle reflects?
(a) Wisely seeking a peaceful retreat.
(b) Safely getting a world perspective.
(c) Cowardly escaping adoring readers.
(d) Vainly treating himself as royalty.
9. What is Wyndam-Matson certain of when he hears Calvin's complaint?
(a) He will never be found out.
(b) Calvin will go to the police.
(c) Childan is only looking for money.
(d) Frank and McCarthy are behind this.
10. What does Baynes make clear to Tagomi in Chapter 5 about Mr. Yatabe's visit?
(a) It must be recorded.
(b) It must be brief.
(c) It must be secret.
(d) It must be uncompensated.
11. What does Frank's question to the I Ching about Juliana suggest?
(a) He feels ashamed he never approached her.
(b) He wishes they were still together.
(c) He regrets putting wealth above her love.
(d) He wants to avenge her captor.
12. Joe's comments about the war and the Germans show that he is opposed to ___________.
13. How are Tagomi and Childan similar?
(a) They are seeking social equality.
(b) They are concerned with outward appearances.
(c) They are involved in secret missions.
(d) They are feared by their peers.
14. In Chapter 4, what does McCarthy encourage Frank to do?
(a) Make use of his talents.
(b) Challenge Wyndam-Matson in court.
(c) Go study for a new trade.
(d) Work as though nothing has happened.
15. As Chapter 2 opens, what is Tagomi consulting the I Ching about?
(a) His physical health.
(b) His upcoming visitor.
(c) His romantic future.
(d) His job security.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tagomi expresses his dislike of the German practices toward what group of people?
2. What are the pincos of Sacramento described as being?
3. What about Frank makes it difficult for him to move to a new territory?
4. What does the mystery client encourage Childan to report?
5. What does the order in which languages are used in making airline announcements symbolize?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)