|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the young driver's discovery about the character of Baynes suggest about the novel?
(a) The main conflict is about to be resolved.
(b) The plot may move in a new direction.
(c) The setting will shift to Europe.
(d) The point of view will change.
2. Why does Childan send samples of his merchandise to the university?
(a) To establish a new clientèle.
(b) To identify fingerprints on them.
(c) To verify his client's accusations.
(d) To save on shipping fees.
3. What Axis power is most accepting of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
4. What other name does the I Ching go by?
(a) The Reich.
(b) The Mission of Inquiry.
(c) The Oracle.
(d) The Justification Committee.
5. What word would sum up Frank's opinion of McCarthy?
6. Who does Rita note her parents said would have won WW II if he had lived?
7. What does Juliana suggest to Joe is the reason for his overall bitter attitude?
(a) His mentors have been imprisoned.
(b) His idols are now gone.
(c) His family has disowned him.
(d) His friends have deserted him.
8. What word describes Baynes's reaction to Tagomi's gift and home furnishings?
9. What does Frank's memory of the landlord Omuro being beheaded by the Japanese Mission because of profiteering off ex-servicemen say about the Japanese?
(a) They are loyal to their religion.
(b) They desire wealth.
(c) They respect the law.
(d) They are cruel to Americans.
10. How does Ramsey feel about Tagomi's request that he select the gift for Baynes?
11. What Joe does suggest that Abendsen's living in a place called The High Castle reflects?
(a) Safely getting a world perspective.
(b) Vainly treating himself as royalty.
(c) Wisely seeking a peaceful retreat.
(d) Cowardly escaping adoring readers.
12. While visiting with Tagomi in Chapter 5, what does Baynes feel regret about?
(a) A public speech.
(b) The cultural prejudice.
(c) A political action.
(d) An airline conversation.
13. What has caused Africa to become a wasteland?
(a) Nazi experimentation on humans.
(b) Italian colonization.
(c) Asian exploitation of resources.
(d) American bombing.
14. What does Juliana feel the Germans have made little advancement in despite having gone to Mars?
15. Tagomi expresses his dislike of the German practices toward what group of people?
(a) Farm laborers.
(b) Foreign visitors.
(c) Elderly citizens.
(d) Industrial workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Kasoura seem to Childan?
2. According to Tagomi, what aspect of the German massacre of the Jews caused the Japanese to refuse to participate?
3. In discussing Abendsen's novel, what does Juliana point out about Joe that makes him angry ?
4. For what reason does Tagomi think Baynes is coming to visit him?
5. What does McCarthy suggest is the reason Frank is initially reluctant to start his own business?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)