|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baynes make clear to Tagomi in Chapter 5 about Mr. Yatabe's visit?
(a) It must be secret.
(b) It must be uncompensated.
(c) It must be recorded.
(d) It must be brief.
2. What does Frank's question to the I Ching about Juliana suggest?
(a) He wants to avenge her captor.
(b) He regrets putting wealth above her love.
(c) He feels ashamed he never approached her.
(d) He wishes they were still together.
3. In Chapter 6, what does The Oracle predict that further distresses Tagomi?
(a) His wife will leave him.
(b) The destruction of the PSA.
(c) His own death.
(d) A global catastrophe..
4. At the start of Chapter 6, Juliana attributes the healthier appearance of the Germans as depicted in a magazine article as proof of _____________.
(a) Effective propaganda techniques.
(b) A rigid military training.
(c) Technological advancements.
(d) A healthier diet.
5. How does the discussion between Joe and Juliana, inspired by Abendsen's novel, leave Juliana feeling?
6. What does the author use to establish the relationship between Frank and McCarthy, his foreman?
(a) Another character's observations.
(b) Conversational dialog.
(c) First person point-of-view.
(d) Physical description.
7. In Chapter 6, Tagomi is now convinced that Baynes really is ___________.
(a) An allied convert.
(b) An inspection agent.
(c) A German national.
(d) An escaped prisoner.
8. What does the mystery client encourage Childan to report?
(a) Increased customer demands to his suppliers.
(b) Missing items to the authorities
(c) Discovered forgeries to the police.
(d) Shipping failures to the Trade Commission.
9. What makes Juliana question the fact that Joe says he is reading The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
(a) She never sees him actually reading.
(b) It is banned where he comes from.
(c) It is approved only for the elite.
(d) He is an uneducated truck driver.
10. As Chapter 6 closes, what does the manila envelope that Frank and McCarthy receive contain?
(a) A manufacturer's contract.
(b) A government permit.
(c) A certified check.
(d) A court order.
11. What word describes Baynes's reaction to Tagomi's gift and home furnishings?
12. What is rumored about Germany that concerns both Tagomi and Juliana?
(a) Germany is aligning itself with China.
(b) Germany is about to break communication channels.
(c) Germany is going to lose its leader.
(d) Germany is about to invade the Pacific States.
13. How does Wyndam-Matson's feel about "historicity"?
(a) It is contradictory.
(b) It is meaningless.
(c) It is hurtful.
(d) It is inescapable.
14. What do phrases like "the fussy, brisk voice," "barely polite," and "deliberately mispronounced his name" initially tell us about Tagomi's character?
(a) He is uneducated.
(b) He is insecure.
(c) He is arrogant.
(d) He is overworked.
15. What does Baynes say they must wait for before he and Tagomi can meet?
(a) Word that the Japanese will pay him.
(b) An elderly man from the Homeland to arrive.
(c) The arrival of an economic expert.
(d) Assurance of military protection.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is revealed about Baynes when the young driver tries to make conversation with him in Chapter 5?
2. According to Tagomi, what aspect of the German massacre of the Jews caused the Japanese to refuse to participate?
3. According to Wyndam-Matson, how does bringing up the past tend to make people feel?
4. Why has Paul Kasoura come to San Francisco?
5. What is Childan in the business of selling?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)