|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Rita note her parents said would have won WW II if he had lived?
2. Because he is Swedish, who does Tagomi believe Mr. Baynes will probably politically favor?
3. What is Childan in the business of selling?
(a) Abandoned real estate.
(b) Local modern art.
(c) Japanese made souvenirs.
(d) Historic American artifacts.
4. Why has Paul Kasoura come to San Francisco?
(a) For a military assignment.
(b) For government work.
(c) For a conference.
(d) For his honeymoon.
5. What does Childan's mystery client wish to purchase?
(a) Pre-war political buttons.
(b) Antique American furniture.
(c) Authentic Civil War guns.
(d) An ancient treasure map.
6. In Chapter 6, Tagomi is now convinced that Baynes really is ___________.
(a) A German national.
(b) An allied convert.
(c) An inspection agent.
(d) An escaped prisoner.
7. What is Wyndam-Matson certain of when he hears Calvin's complaint?
(a) Calvin will go to the police.
(b) He will never be found out.
(c) Frank and McCarthy are behind this.
(d) Childan is only looking for money.
8. How does Mrs. Kasoura seem to Childan?
9. What technique is used in Chapter 4 to introduce the reader to the character of Wyndam-Matson?
10. How are Tagomi and Childan similar?
(a) They are concerned with outward appearances.
(b) They are feared by their peers.
(c) They are involved in secret missions.
(d) They are seeking social equality.
11. What makes Juliana certain she and Joe could never be part of the colonization on other planets?
(a) Their personal fears.
(b) Their physical features.
(c) Their illicit relationship.
(d) Their political views.
12. What does Baynes make clear to Tagomi in Chapter 5 about Mr. Yatabe's visit?
(a) It must be secret.
(b) It must be uncompensated.
(c) It must be brief.
(d) It must be recorded.
13. Why does Tagomi feel it would be better if his assistant, Ramsey, selected the gift for Baynes?
(a) He is Swedish bred.
(b) He is socially active.
(c) He is native born.
(d) He is artistically inclined.
14. What does Frank decide to do as a result of the Oracle's message?
(a) Seek Childan's business advice.
(b) Send a message to Juliana.
(c) Beg to get his job back.
(d) Live life as best he can.
15. What image set forth in The Grasshopper Lies Heavy seems to upset Joe the most?
(a) Italy as a traitor.
(b) Japan as greedy.
(c) The USA as a weakling.
(d) Germany as a hero.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsets Tagomi causing him to leave the special session of the Foreign Office?
2. What does Juliana feel the Germans have made little advancement in despite having gone to Mars?
3. In Chapter 6, what does The Oracle predict that further distresses Tagomi?
4. What has caused Africa to become a wasteland?
5. According to Wyndam-Matson, how does bringing up the past tend to make people feel?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)