|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the young driver's discovery about the character of Baynes suggest about the novel?
(a) The point of view will change.
(b) The plot may move in a new direction.
(c) The setting will shift to Europe.
(d) The main conflict is about to be resolved.
2. What does Childan learn about the carrier ship Syokaku from the Tokyo Herald?
(a) It is docked in Tokyo.
(b) It never existed.
(c) It is en route to Germany.
(d) It sunk years ago.
3. What does Baynes say they must wait for before he and Tagomi can meet?
(a) The arrival of an economic expert.
(b) Assurance of military protection.
(c) Word that the Japanese will pay him.
(d) An elderly man from the Homeland to arrive.
4. What does Frank's use of the I Ching suggest about him?
(a) He has no one to talk to.
(b) He yearns for Japanese acceptance.
(c) He puts faith in its advice.
(d) He is of Oriental heritage.
5. In Chapter 6, what does The Oracle predict that further distresses Tagomi?
(a) His own death.
(b) A global catastrophe..
(c) The destruction of the PSA.
(d) His wife will leave him.
6. How does the simile, "like a little animal, not important, but smart" describe the way Joe acts?
(a) Quietly and spontaneously.
(b) Politely and rationally.
(c) Alertly and instinctively.
(d) Wildly and spontaneously.
7. In Chapter 6, what does Juliana realize Joe has done when she returns to her apartment?
(a) Rearranged his delivery schedule.
(b) Gone through her belongings.
(c) Invited over some friends.
(d) Missed his truck intentionally.
8. What do phrases like "the fussy, brisk voice," "barely polite," and "deliberately mispronounced his name" initially tell us about Tagomi's character?
(a) He is insecure.
(b) He is overworked.
(c) He is arrogant.
(d) He is uneducated.
9. What is discovered as being the source of W-M Corporation's real profit?
(a) Imitation Chinese artifacts.
(b) Fake antique guns.
(c) Counterfeit war bonds.
(d) Inferior construction materials.
10. What has caused Africa to become a wasteland?
(a) Nazi experimentation on humans.
(b) Asian exploitation of resources.
(c) American bombing.
(d) Italian colonization.
11. What Joe does suggest that Abendsen's living in a place called The High Castle reflects?
(a) Wisely seeking a peaceful retreat.
(b) Safely getting a world perspective.
(c) Vainly treating himself as royalty.
(d) Cowardly escaping adoring readers.
12. What Axis power is most accepting of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
13. Why does Childan most likely have the fresh marigolds and background music playing in his shop?
(a) To confirm his social standing.
(b) To distract from its shabbiness.
(c) To create a pleasant atmosphere.
(d) To emphasize his cultural preferences.
14. What does Frank's question to the I Ching about Juliana suggest?
(a) He feels ashamed he never approached her.
(b) He wishes they were still together.
(c) He wants to avenge her captor.
(d) He regrets putting wealth above her love.
15. How does Childan's ride in the pedicab make him feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Because he is Swedish, who does Tagomi believe Mr. Baynes will probably politically favor?
2. What does Juliana feel the Germans have made little advancement in despite having gone to Mars?
3. How are Tagomi and Childan similar?
4. What does McCarthy tell Frank he has a plan to get for their business?
5. What does McCarthy suggest is the reason Frank is initially reluctant to start his own business?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)