|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frank sees the Edfrank Jewelry business as, perhaps, a way of ____________.
(a) Improving racial relations.
(b) Getting Juliana back.
(c) Avenging Wyndam-Matson.
(d) Remaining socially anonymous.
2. What words best describe how Joe views the British?
(a) Dishonest and uncommitted.
(b) Cowardly and defenseless.
(c) Brutal and murderous.
(d) Shrewd and frightening.
3. How have Frank's feelings for the Japanese changed over the years?
(a) From respect to disgust.
(b) From hate to acceptance.
(c) From indifference to adoration
(d) From fear to amusement
4. What is Childan upset over as the novel opens?
(a) A store robbery.
(b) A missed appointment.
(c) An undelivered package.
(d) An artist's complaint.
5. What word best describes Wyndam-Matson's reaction when Rita tells him about The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
6. What does Tagomi receive that makes him become suspicious of Baynes's real intentions?
(a) An anonymous phone call.
(b) An unsigned letter.
(c) A coded message.
(d) A military briefing.
7. How does Childan's ride in the pedicab make him feel?
8. In Chapter 6, what does The Oracle predict that further distresses Tagomi?
(a) His wife will leave him.
(b) A global catastrophe..
(c) His own death.
(d) The destruction of the PSA.
9. What does Baynes say they must wait for before he and Tagomi can meet?
(a) Word that the Japanese will pay him.
(b) An elderly man from the Homeland to arrive.
(c) The arrival of an economic expert.
(d) Assurance of military protection.
10. What has caused Africa to become a wasteland?
(a) Italian colonization.
(b) Asian exploitation of resources.
(c) Nazi experimentation on humans.
(d) American bombing.
11. According to Wyndam-Matson, how does bringing up the past tend to make people feel?
12. How does Mrs. Kasoura seem to Childan?
13. How does the simile, "like a little animal, not important, but smart" describe the way Joe acts?
(a) Wildly and spontaneously.
(b) Quietly and spontaneously.
(c) Politely and rationally.
(d) Alertly and instinctively.
14. What contradiction does the Oracle's message predict that leaves Frank confused?
(a) Business success and poverty.
(b) Good fortune and doom.
(c) Love's return and loss.
(d) Long life and death.
15. What does Frank's question to the I Ching about Juliana suggest?
(a) He wants to avenge her captor.
(b) He feels ashamed he never approached her.
(c) He wishes they were still together.
(d) He regrets putting wealth above her love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What image set forth in The Grasshopper Lies Heavy seems to upset Joe the most?
2. What is discovered as being the source of W-M Corporation's real profit?
3. What is discovered about his merchandise that causes Childan to lose a major deal?
4. What does Childan learn about the carrier ship Syokaku from the Tokyo Herald?
5. What about Frank makes it difficult for him to move to a new territory?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)