|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What contradiction does the Oracle's message predict that leaves Frank confused?
(a) Business success and poverty.
(b) Good fortune and doom.
(c) Love's return and loss.
(d) Long life and death.
2. What does Juliana feel the Germans have made little advancement in despite having gone to Mars?
3. What does Tagomi receive that makes him become suspicious of Baynes's real intentions?
(a) An unsigned letter.
(b) An anonymous phone call.
(c) A coded message.
(d) A military briefing.
4. In Chapter 6, Tagomi is now convinced that Baynes really is ___________.
(a) An escaped prisoner.
(b) An allied convert.
(c) A German national.
(d) An inspection agent.
5. What upsets Tagomi causing him to leave the special session of the Foreign Office?
(a) The evil in the world.
(b) Loss of German supremacy.
(c) Appetizers he was served.
(d) A diagnosis he earlier received.
6. What does Juliana suggest to Joe is the reason for his overall bitter attitude?
(a) His friends have deserted him.
(b) His idols are now gone.
(c) His family has disowned him.
(d) His mentors have been imprisoned.
7. How is the city of San Francisco described?
(a) As being left in ruins from the war.
(b) As making a strong economic comeback.
(c) As rebuilding from a major earthquake.
(d) As becoming a world cultural center.
8. When Childan returns to his office in Chapter 4, who does the client waiting for him claim to represent?
(a) An agent from the Trade Commission.
(b) A leader of the Third Reich.
(c) A businessman from the Middle East.
(d) An Admiral of the Imperial Army.
9. Joe's comments about the war and the Germans show that he is opposed to ___________.
10. What word would sum up Frank's opinion of McCarthy?
11. What is it about Ramsey that makes Tagomi unwilling to share all the information about Baynes with him?
(a) He is known to be a gossip.
(b) He is said to be friends with Baynes.
(c) He is considered lower in social status.
(d) He is suspected to be a spy.
12. What other name does the I Ching go by?
(a) The Justification Committee.
(b) The Oracle.
(c) The Mission of Inquiry.
(d) The Reich.
13. What about Frank makes it difficult for him to move to a new territory?
(a) His criminal background.
(b) His ethnic background.
(c) His older age.
(d) His limited skills.
14. How does Childan's ride in the pedicab make him feel?
15. What does Childan do as a result of what he has learned from the university in Chapter 4?
(a) He seeks reimbursement from his supplier.
(b) He files an anonymous police report.
(c) He decides to close his shop.
(d) He hires an armed night watchman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ramsey feel about Tagomi's request that he select the gift for Baynes?
2. What does Frank's memory of the landlord Omuro being beheaded by the Japanese Mission because of profiteering off ex-servicemen say about the Japanese?
3. What do phrases like "the fussy, brisk voice," "barely polite," and "deliberately mispronounced his name" initially tell us about Tagomi's character?
4. What does McCarthy tell Frank he has a plan to get for their business?
5. What makes Juliana question the fact that Joe says he is reading The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)