|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because he is Swedish, who does Tagomi believe Mr. Baynes will probably politically favor?
2. How does Wyndam-Matson's feel about "historicity"?
(a) It is contradictory.
(b) It is meaningless.
(c) It is inescapable.
(d) It is hurtful.
3. What has caused Africa to become a wasteland?
(a) Italian colonization.
(b) Nazi experimentation on humans.
(c) Asian exploitation of resources.
(d) American bombing.
4. What technique is used in Chapter 4 to introduce the reader to the character of Wyndam-Matson?
5. How does Mrs. Kasoura seem to Childan?
6. What image set forth in The Grasshopper Lies Heavy seems to upset Joe the most?
(a) Japan as greedy.
(b) Germany as a hero.
(c) Italy as a traitor.
(d) The USA as a weakling.
7. What does Childan do as a result of what he has learned from the university in Chapter 4?
(a) He seeks reimbursement from his supplier.
(b) He hires an armed night watchman.
(c) He decides to close his shop.
(d) He files an anonymous police report.
8. What words best describe how Joe views the British?
(a) Shrewd and frightening.
(b) Dishonest and uncommitted.
(c) Brutal and murderous.
(d) Cowardly and defenseless.
9. How does the simile, "like a little animal, not important, but smart" describe the way Joe acts?
(a) Politely and rationally.
(b) Wildly and spontaneously.
(c) Quietly and spontaneously.
(d) Alertly and instinctively.
10. Why does Childan send samples of his merchandise to the university?
(a) To identify fingerprints on them.
(b) To establish a new clientèle.
(c) To verify his client's accusations.
(d) To save on shipping fees.
11. After recognizing the significance of Joe's tattoo, what does Juliana realize Joe was part of in World War II?
(a) The Red Cross.
(b) The Axis Army.
(c) The Allied Army.
(d) The Neutral zone.
12. How does the discussion between Joe and Juliana, inspired by Abendsen's novel, leave Juliana feeling?
13. What best describes the territory of the Rocky Mountain States?
14. For what reason does Tagomi think Baynes is coming to visit him?
(a) To seek release of political prisoners.
(b) To arrange for a trade agreement.
(c) To mediate peace negotiations.
(d) To share technological information.
15. What is Wyndam-Matson certain of when he hears Calvin's complaint?
(a) Childan is only looking for money.
(b) Calvin will go to the police.
(c) He will never be found out.
(d) Frank and McCarthy are behind this.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Childan in the business of selling?
2. Who does Rita note her parents said would have won WW II if he had lived?
3. What does Frank's use of the I Ching suggest about him?
4. What does Baynes say they must wait for before he and Tagomi can meet?
5. As Chapter 2 opens, what is Tagomi consulting the I Ching about?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)