|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the young driver's discovery about the character of Baynes suggest about the novel?
(a) The point of view will change.
(b) The main conflict is about to be resolved.
(c) The setting will shift to Europe.
(d) The plot may move in a new direction.
2. What does Tagomi receive that makes him become suspicious of Baynes's real intentions?
(a) A coded message.
(b) A military briefing.
(c) An unsigned letter.
(d) An anonymous phone call.
3. How does Wyndam-Matson's feel about "historicity"?
(a) It is contradictory.
(b) It is hurtful.
(c) It is meaningless.
(d) It is inescapable.
4. Who does Rita note her parents said would have won WW II if he had lived?
5. What word would sum up Frank's opinion of McCarthy?
6. What other name does the I Ching go by?
(a) The Reich.
(b) The Mission of Inquiry.
(c) The Justification Committee.
(d) The Oracle.
7. What are the pincos of Sacramento described as being?
(a) An underground network of spies.
(b) A powerful mobster organization.
(c) The puppet white government.
(d) The lower class farm laborers.
8. What word best describes Wyndam-Matson's reaction when Rita tells him about The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
9. How are Tagomi and Childan similar?
(a) They are feared by their peers.
(b) They are seeking social equality.
(c) They are concerned with outward appearances.
(d) They are involved in secret missions.
10. As Chapter 6 closes, what does the manila envelope that Frank and McCarthy receive contain?
(a) A court order.
(b) A certified check.
(c) A government permit.
(d) A manufacturer's contract.
11. What does Childan learn about the carrier ship Syokaku from the Tokyo Herald?
(a) It is docked in Tokyo.
(b) It never existed.
(c) It sunk years ago.
(d) It is en route to Germany.
12. What is Childan in the business of selling?
(a) Historic American artifacts.
(b) Japanese made souvenirs.
(c) Abandoned real estate.
(d) Local modern art.
13. As Chapter 2 opens, what is Tagomi consulting the I Ching about?
(a) His physical health.
(b) His upcoming visitor.
(c) His romantic future.
(d) His job security.
14. Why does Tagomi feel it would be better if his assistant, Ramsey, selected the gift for Baynes?
(a) He is native born.
(b) He is Swedish bred.
(c) He is artistically inclined.
(d) He is socially active.
15. In Chapter 3, what do we learn about how Juliana Frink makes her living?
(a) As a social worker.
(b) As a judo instructor.
(c) As a diner waitress.
(d) As an investigative reporter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it about Ramsey that makes Tagomi unwilling to share all the information about Baynes with him?
2. What has caused Africa to become a wasteland?
3. What does Juliana feel the Germans have made little advancement in despite having gone to Mars?
4. For what reason does Tagomi think Baynes is coming to visit him?
5. What is learned about the role of Blacks in the PSA?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)