|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the young driver's discovery about the character of Baynes suggest about the novel?
(a) The main conflict is about to be resolved.
(b) The plot may move in a new direction.
(c) The setting will shift to Europe.
(d) The point of view will change.
2. What is it about Ramsey that makes Tagomi unwilling to share all the information about Baynes with him?
(a) He is said to be friends with Baynes.
(b) He is known to be a gossip.
(c) He is suspected to be a spy.
(d) He is considered lower in social status.
3. According to Wyndam-Matson, how does bringing up the past tend to make people feel?
4. Who does Rita note her parents said would have won WW II if he had lived?
5. To what does Tagomi attribute Ramsey' s tanning by sun lamp?
(a) His desire to fit in.
(b) His desire to be outside.
(c) His desire to improve his health.
(d) His desire to meet pretty women.
6. What does Frank's use of the I Ching suggest about him?
(a) He puts faith in its advice.
(b) He is of Oriental heritage.
(c) He yearns for Japanese acceptance.
(d) He has no one to talk to.
7. In discussing Abendsen's novel, what does Juliana point out about Joe that makes him angry ?
(a) His misused vocabulary.
(b) His misinterpreted passages.
(c) His false assumptions.
(d) His contradictory statements.
8. How does Wyndam-Matson's feel about "historicity"?
(a) It is contradictory.
(b) It is meaningless.
(c) It is hurtful.
(d) It is inescapable.
9. What makes Juliana question the fact that Joe says he is reading The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?
(a) It is approved only for the elite.
(b) It is banned where he comes from.
(c) He is an uneducated truck driver.
(d) She never sees him actually reading.
10. How does the discussion between Joe and Juliana, inspired by Abendsen's novel, leave Juliana feeling?
11. While visiting with Tagomi in Chapter 5, what does Baynes feel regret about?
(a) The cultural prejudice.
(b) An airline conversation.
(c) A political action.
(d) A public speech.
12. How does Childan's ride in the pedicab make him feel?
13. What does Juliana suggest to Joe is the reason for his overall bitter attitude?
(a) His mentors have been imprisoned.
(b) His idols are now gone.
(c) His friends have deserted him.
(d) His family has disowned him.
14. How does Ramsey feel about Tagomi's request that he select the gift for Baynes?
15. What does McCarthy tell Frank he has a plan to get for their business?
(a) Shop space from an uncle.
(b) Approval from the Japanese Ministry.
(c) Materials from an old friend.
(d) Financing from their former boss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is discovered about his merchandise that causes Childan to lose a major deal?
2. Why does Childan send samples of his merchandise to the university?
3. When Childan returns to his office in Chapter 4, who does the client waiting for him claim to represent?
4. Why does Childan most likely have the fresh marigolds and background music playing in his shop?
5. What is Childan in the business of selling?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)