|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Corbett stop and talk to on the train into the Mohan forest bungalow?
2. What do Corbett's men deduce when they see the tree Corbett had been in all night and the tiger blood?
3. Which of the following best characterizes how Corbett feels after shooting the Pipal Pani tiger?
4. Why does Corbett need to kill a snake before hunting a man-eater?
5. What happened to the chital that the tiger had killed and left?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Corbett worry about Ibbotson and his men one night after they leave him to sit up over a kill at night? What happens, and why didn't Corbett do anything?
2. What bothers Corbett about the way he kills the man-eater of Mohan? Why? What reasons does he give to justify his actions?
3. Describe Corbett's first encounter with the Kanda man-eater. How does it end?
4. How does an old lady and a sixteen year old girl end up on the ledge of a cliff? What happens?
5. What does Corbett hear from the village of Thak when he sitting out over a dead buffalo waiting for the tiger to return? Why is this unusual? Where does it come from and what do people say it was?
6. What unexpected thing does the Pipal Pani tiger do when he gets shot in the shoulder?
7. Describe the encounter Corbett has on the trail with the woman filling a water jug. What is he happy he has accomplished?
8. Describe the setting of the chapter The Fish of My Dreams.
9. Why does Corbett experience mixed emotions after shooting the Pipal Pani tiger?
10. What is Corbett's main intention at the locale of the story The Fish of My Dreams? Why is he having difficulty and when does he decide to go fishing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kumaon is located in the mountainous northern part of India. Write an essay about India and this particular region.
Part 1. Give an overview and introduction of India, focusing on what it was like during the early 1900's. Include a description of the English Indian Army.
Part 2. Introduce the region of Kumaon in context of the rest of India. Where is it located? What is its geography?
Part 3. Describe the populace of the Kumaon region. What kind of lives did they lead in the 1900's? What, if anything, has changed since then?
Part 4. How did the people of the Kumaon region co-exist with tigers and leopards in the early 1900's? How about today?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about hemp.
Part 1. What is hemp? Where does it come? What is useful about it?
Part 2. Discuss the historic uses of hemp. What did our forefather's use hemp for?
Part 3. Why is hemp not as widespread today as it was?
Part 4. What products are available today in hemp, and how do they compare to their non-hemp counterparts?
Essay Topic 3
Corbett mentions the keeping of trophies after making a kill and he refers to other hunters doing the same. Write an essay about big game and trophy hunting.
Part 1. What is trophy hunting? Compare trophy hunting to other forms of hunting. What are some of its advantages and disadvantages?
Part 2. What are some of the more usual trophies and some of the most sought after ones?
Part 3. Where do people go to go trophy hunting? How popular is the sport? Is the industry on the rise or decline?
This section contains 1,604 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)