|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Corbett recommend great care be taken over when stalking tigers at their kills?
2. Why does Corbett give up trying to film his subject?
3. What does Corbett say has altered as much as ladies fashion over the years?
4. When Corbett returns to Thak the second time, what is creating a lot of noise in the area?
5. What does Corbett says happens when one has unlimited undisturbed water to fish in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What alarms the Pipal Pani tiger and his mate of Corbett's approach? Give details.
2. Describe how the Pipal Pani tiger gets shot for a second time, and how the men who go in search of him unknowingly put their lives in great danger, and what may have saved them.
3. Why is Corbett's feeling of relief greater than usual when he shoots the Thak man-eater?
4. Summarize the story Corbett tells of bravery in the chapter about the Kanda man-eater.
5. What were Corbett's initial plans for the sleeping arrangement in Mohan? How and why were they changed?
6. Describe the encounter Corbett has on the trail with the woman filling a water jug. What is he happy he has accomplished?
7. Why does Corbett worry about Ibbotson and his men one night after they leave him to sit up over a kill at night? What happens, and why didn't Corbett do anything?
8. Why does Corbett think that he might be able to lure the tiger to him by calling? How does his attempt go, and how does he explain the results?
9. What does Corbett mean when he says he sets out to follow the "drag" of the Mohan man-eater? Why does he say this term is misleading?
10. Describe how Corbett finally encounters the Thak man-eater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two of the world's most famous man-eaters are the man-eating lions of Tsavo. They are they subject of research, books, and several Hollywood movies. Write an essay about the Tsavo lions.
Part 1. Introduce Colonel Patterson and what he was doing when his crews started having trouble with the Tsavo lions.
Part 2. Describe the devastation and terror caused by the lions. What attempts were made to stop them?
Part 3. How were the lions finally killed? Where are the skins and heads of these lions now?
Part 4. What research is being done today to determine the number of victims of these lions and to determine what might have caused them to eat humans? What are they finding?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Jim Corbett.
Part 1. Provide a general biography of the life of Jim Corbett.
Part 2. Explain how Jim Corbett became a hunter of man-eating tigers and leopards. Share some of his experiences.
Part 3. Describe the efforts and importance that Jim Corbett assigned to conservationism. What did he achieve and what is his legacy?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about malaria and its role in history.
Part 1. What is malaria? Give a description of the biology of the disease.
Part 2. Who is susceptible to malaria? Describe how malaria is transmitted, who is most at risk, and why.
Part 3. What measures can be taken to prevent or treat malaria?
Part 4. What role has malaria played in a historical event? How might it have changed history?
This section contains 1,599 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)