|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Corbett worry the Pipal Pani tiger will do after being wounded?
2. Which of the following best describes Ibbotson?
3. What did the Pipal Pani tiger no longer permit after his mate left?
4. Who comes to see Corbett nearly as soon as he arrives.
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the things that makes the valley Corbett fishes in so pleasant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Corbett's first encounter with the Kanda man-eater. How does it end?
2. What happens when Corbett returns to the spot he left the fish?
3. What encounter does Corbett have with a hamadryad or a cobra while he is hunting the Kanda man-eater? What happens and why does Corbett feel better afterwards?
4. What run-in does the labor camp have with the man-eater of Thak? What happens?
5. Why is Corbett forced to leave the fish? What does he do with it when he leaves?
6. Why is the setting particularly relevant to the story The Fish of My Dreams?
7. Why does Corbett experience mixed emotions after shooting the Pipal Pani tiger?
8. What unexpected thing does the Pipal Pani tiger do when he gets shot in the shoulder?
9. Summarize the story Corbett tells of bravery in the chapter about the Kanda man-eater.
10. How would you characterize the relationship between Corbett and the Pipal Pani tiger over the tiger's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story of the man-eater of Thak, the villagers are taking care of a temple that is one of many "peethas". Write an essay about what this is and the religious story behind it.
Part 1. Introduce Hinduism, and some of the major gods and goddesses. Make sure to include Shiva and Parvati (or Sati).
Part 2. Tell the relevant story of Parvati, her father, and Shiva.
Part 3. Explain how the story relates to temple in the story, and explain the word "Peetha". Do all the Shakti Peethas have temples? What else is there?
Essay Topic 2
Corbett often takes his dog Robin with him hunting. He depends on Robin to help him track big game by scent when he can't follow a visible a trail. Write an essay about hunting dogs and other service dogs.
Part 1. How many different jobs to dogs do for people? What variety of jobs or services are sometimes performed by working dogs.
Part 2. How have dogs been bred or selected to better perform their jobs? Give examples of specialty breeds and the jobs they perform.
Part 3. Man and dogs have been hunting together for a long time. Explain the possible origins of the relationship and the various roles that dogs play when assisting hunters.
Essay Topic 3
Kumaon is located in the mountainous northern part of India. Write an essay about India and this particular region.
Part 1. Give an overview and introduction of India, focusing on what it was like during the early 1900's. Include a description of the English Indian Army.
Part 2. Introduce the region of Kumaon in context of the rest of India. Where is it located? What is its geography?
Part 3. Describe the populace of the Kumaon region. What kind of lives did they lead in the 1900's? What, if anything, has changed since then?
Part 4. How did the people of the Kumaon region co-exist with tigers and leopards in the early 1900's? How about today?
This section contains 1,507 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)