|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Corbett hear that makes him try a different tactic in his hunt for the Kanda man-eater?
2. What did the Pipal Pani tiger no longer permit after his mate left?
3. Who was the first victim of the Mohan Man-eater?
4. How does Corbett get a hold of the fish?
5. What does Corbett recommend great care be taken over when stalking tigers at their kills?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Pipal Pani tiger get injured in the head? What does Corbett see that he is able to know this?
2. What happens when Corbett returns to the spot he left the fish?
3. What unexpected thing does the Pipal Pani tiger do when he gets shot in the shoulder?
4. Why does Corbett worry about Ibbotson and his men one night after they leave him to sit up over a kill at night? What happens, and why didn't Corbett do anything?
5. What is Corbett's main intention at the locale of the story The Fish of My Dreams? Why is he having difficulty and when does he decide to go fishing?
6. Describe the setting of the chapter The Fish of My Dreams.
7. Summarize the story Corbett tells of bravery in the chapter about the Kanda man-eater.
8. How would you characterize the relationship between Corbett and the Pipal Pani tiger over the tiger's life?
9. Describe how the Pipal Pani tiger gets shot for a second time, and how the men who go in search of him unknowingly put their lives in great danger, and what may have saved them.
10. Describe Corbett's first encounter with the Kanda man-eater. How does it end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Corbett mentions the keeping of trophies after making a kill and he refers to other hunters doing the same. Write an essay about big game and trophy hunting.
Part 1. What is trophy hunting? Compare trophy hunting to other forms of hunting. What are some of its advantages and disadvantages?
Part 2. What are some of the more usual trophies and some of the most sought after ones?
Part 3. Where do people go to go trophy hunting? How popular is the sport? Is the industry on the rise or decline?
Essay Topic 2
Corbett often takes his dog Robin with him hunting. He depends on Robin to help him track big game by scent when he can't follow a visible a trail. Write an essay about hunting dogs and other service dogs.
Part 1. How many different jobs to dogs do for people? What variety of jobs or services are sometimes performed by working dogs.
Part 2. How have dogs been bred or selected to better perform their jobs? Give examples of specialty breeds and the jobs they perform.
Part 3. Man and dogs have been hunting together for a long time. Explain the possible origins of the relationship and the various roles that dogs play when assisting hunters.
Essay Topic 3
Many people that Corbett helped had never seen a rifle being used before his, and even in a land where man-eating tigers were wreaking havoc guns were scarce. Write a history of the development of firearms.
Part 1. Where did the first firearm originate from? What weapons were their ancestors?
Part 2. Describe the evolution of firearms from the first ones to the ones we are familiar with today. Include their migration all around the globe.
Part 3. How did firearms change the world around them?
This section contains 1,623 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)