|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Pipal Pani tiger make his home?
2. Which of the following best characterizes the size of the fish Corbett catches?
3. What animal is the Pipal Pani tiger mistaken for and shot?
4. What animals visit the scene of the missing dead chital?
5. What does Corbett realize after reeling in sixty yards of the fishing line?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Corbett's feeling of relief greater than usual when he shoots the Thak man-eater?
2. How does an old lady and a sixteen year old girl end up on the ledge of a cliff? What happens?
3. Describe the setting of the chapter The Fish of My Dreams.
4. Summarize the story Corbett tells of bravery in the chapter about the Kanda man-eater.
5. How does the Pipal Pani tiger get injured in the head? What does Corbett see that he is able to know this?
6. What happens when Corbett returns to the spot he left the fish?
7. What does Corbett hear from the village of Thak when he sitting out over a dead buffalo waiting for the tiger to return? Why is this unusual? Where does it come from and what do people say it was?
8. What is Corbett's main intention at the locale of the story The Fish of My Dreams? Why is he having difficulty and when does he decide to go fishing?
9. Why does Corbett worry about Ibbotson and his men one night after they leave him to sit up over a kill at night? What happens, and why didn't Corbett do anything?
10. What alarms the Pipal Pani tiger and his mate of Corbett's approach? Give details.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between hunting and conservation?
Part 1. Historically, what role have hunters played in the creation of legislation for conservation?
Part 2. Write about several people who were both well known hunters and conservationists.
Part 3. What role do hunters today play in conservation?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Tibet.
Part 1. Give a general overview of Tibet. Include it's location, population, and a summary that will give readers a representative idea about Tibet.
Part 2. Describe the geography and wildlife of Tibet.
Part 3. What is the current political situation of Tibet? Describe Tibet's relationship with China.
Part 4. What is the primary religion of Tibet? What world famous religious leader is from Tibet? Why does he no longer live there?
Essay Topic 3
Corbett implies in the beginning of the final chapter "Just Tigers," that shooting wildlife with a camera is infinitely harder than shooting them with a gun. Write an essay about wildlife photography.
Part 1. Describe the field of wild animal photography and film making.
Part 2. Give some examples of some extraordinary shots caught in the wild in pictures or on film.
Part 3. What are the challenges of wildlife photography?
Part 4. What techniques do people use to overcome the challenges of photographing or filming wild animals?
This section contains 1,500 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)