|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lost the most cattle to the Pipal Pani tiger?
2. What does Corbett thinks killed the buffalo that died but was not killed by the tiger?
3. What does Corbett get distracted admiring as he is inspecting the road?
4. What does Corbett recommend great care be taken over when stalking tigers at their kills?
5. What is Corbett hoping to do after he sends his men back when he gives up filming?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do many men come to the area of the Thak man-eater? What are they doing there and how do they feel about the tiger? How do they show it?
2. What does Corbett hear from the village of Thak when he sitting out over a dead buffalo waiting for the tiger to return? Why is this unusual? Where does it come from and what do people say it was?
3. Why does Corbett worry about Ibbotson and his men one night after they leave him to sit up over a kill at night? What happens, and why didn't Corbett do anything?
4. Describe the setting of the chapter The Fish of My Dreams.
5. Summarize the story Corbett tells of bravery in the chapter about the Kanda man-eater.
6. Why does Corbett think that he might be able to lure the tiger to him by calling? How does his attempt go, and how does he explain the results?
7. What does Corbett mean when he says he sets out to follow the "drag" of the Mohan man-eater? Why does he say this term is misleading?
8. What were Corbett's initial plans for the sleeping arrangement in Mohan? How and why were they changed?
9. When Corbett waits in a tree for the Kanda man-eater, he is jerked to full awareness by a langur warning call. What does Corbett first think it is that made the langur call, and what does it turn out to be? Explain.
10. What happens between the time that Corbett throws his line in the water and when he tosses the flopping fish onto the shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the flora and fauna that Corbett mentions in his book.
Part 1. Introduction - provide a general description of the nature of the Kumaon region.
Part 2. What flora does Corbett mention or discuss? Were you familiar with any of these plants?
Part 3. What fauna does Corbett come across in his adventures? Describe the animals and his experiences with them.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about malaria and its role in history.
Part 1. What is malaria? Give a description of the biology of the disease.
Part 2. Who is susceptible to malaria? Describe how malaria is transmitted, who is most at risk, and why.
Part 3. What measures can be taken to prevent or treat malaria?
Part 4. What role has malaria played in a historical event? How might it have changed history?
Essay Topic 3
Corbett refers many times to an unexplained feeling of danger that warns him when a tiger is nearby. Write an essay about extra-sensory perception.
Part 1. Describe the "feeling of danger" that Corbett experiences many times in his stories. Is Corbett's experience a common one?
Part 2. Explain what extra-sensory perception is, and the various forms it is reportedly experienced.
Part 3. Discuss the scientific approach that has been taken to explain ESP and the results.
This section contains 1,540 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)