|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Corbett when he shoots the Thak man-eater?
2. Which of the following best describes Ibbotson?
3. What does Corbett watch the Pipal Pani do over the winter?
4. What was Corbett's best guess at the weight of the fish?
5. What do the forest guard and fisherman allegedly trip over while fleeing from the man-eater of Mohan?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Corbett waits in a tree for the Kanda man-eater, he is jerked to full awareness by a langur warning call. What does Corbett first think it is that made the langur call, and what does it turn out to be? Explain.
2. What encounter does Corbett have with a hamadryad or a cobra while he is hunting the Kanda man-eater? What happens and why does Corbett feel better afterwards?
3. Describe the encounter Corbett has on the trail with the woman filling a water jug. What is he happy he has accomplished?
4. What bothers Corbett about the way he kills the man-eater of Mohan? Why? What reasons does he give to justify his actions?
5. What happens when Corbett returns to the spot he left the fish?
6. Why does Corbett experience mixed emotions after shooting the Pipal Pani tiger?
7. What unexpected thing does the Pipal Pani tiger do when he gets shot in the shoulder?
8. What is Corbett's main intention at the locale of the story The Fish of My Dreams? Why is he having difficulty and when does he decide to go fishing?
9. What were Corbett's initial plans for the sleeping arrangement in Mohan? How and why were they changed?
10. What happens between the time that Corbett throws his line in the water and when he tosses the flopping fish onto the shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Corbett implies in the beginning of the final chapter "Just Tigers," that shooting wildlife with a camera is infinitely harder than shooting them with a gun. Write an essay about wildlife photography.
Part 1. Describe the field of wild animal photography and film making.
Part 2. Give some examples of some extraordinary shots caught in the wild in pictures or on film.
Part 3. What are the challenges of wildlife photography?
Part 4. What techniques do people use to overcome the challenges of photographing or filming wild animals?
Essay Topic 2
Corbett refers many times to an unexplained feeling of danger that warns him when a tiger is nearby. Write an essay about extra-sensory perception.
Part 1. Describe the "feeling of danger" that Corbett experiences many times in his stories. Is Corbett's experience a common one?
Part 2. Explain what extra-sensory perception is, and the various forms it is reportedly experienced.
Part 3. Discuss the scientific approach that has been taken to explain ESP and the results.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the British occupation of India.
Part 1. When, how, and why did the British occupy India? How did this benefit Great Britain and what consequences were there for India?
Part 2. Describe British / Indian relations up to and including World War 1. Explain the motives for the choices India made. Was this what the English were expecting?
Part 3. What happened after World War 1? Describe the Indian fight for independence.
Part 4. When did the British leave? How has India fared since they left? What might India have been like without the occupation?
This section contains 1,506 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)