|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Corbett leave the fish after he catches it?
2. How does Corbett decide to continue his pursuit of the man-eater after his unsuccessful first encounter with him?
3. What letter is included in the chapter about the Kanda man-eater?
4. What does Corbett see first on the trail as he is stalking the man-eater of Mohan?
5. Who tracks the man-eater or Thak the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the Pipal Pani tiger gets shot for a second time, and how the men who go in search of him unknowingly put their lives in great danger, and what may have saved them.
2. Describe the night Corbett spends in a tree waiting for the Kanda man-eater. What happens at night and how does it end?
3. Describe Corbett's first encounter with the Kanda man-eater. How does it end?
4. What alarms the Pipal Pani tiger and his mate of Corbett's approach? Give details.
5. When Corbett waits in a tree for the Kanda man-eater, he is jerked to full awareness by a langur warning call. What does Corbett first think it is that made the langur call, and what does it turn out to be? Explain.
6. How would you characterize the relationship between Corbett and the Pipal Pani tiger over the tiger's life?
7. Why do many men come to the area of the Thak man-eater? What are they doing there and how do they feel about the tiger? How do they show it?
8. What unexpected thing does the Pipal Pani tiger do when he gets shot in the shoulder?
9. How does the Pipal Pani tiger get injured in the head? What does Corbett see that he is able to know this?
10. Why is the setting particularly relevant to the story The Fish of My Dreams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about tiger development.
Part 1. Describe the infancy of tigers. Where are litters usually born? How many are there in a usual litter? How long until a young tiger can leave the den?
Part 2. Describe the adolescence of tigers. What can a young tiger do when it first starts leaving the den? How long does he continue to stay with his mother? How does he change and grow during this time?
Part 3. How long does a tiger stay an adult? When do they breed? What changes happen during the normal adult life of a tiger?
Part 4. When is a tiger considered old? What are some common ailments of aging tigers? Is the normal lifespan different for captive or wild tigers?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Hinduism.
Part 1. Describe a general overview of the religion including number of followers and primary regions of the world where it is practiced.
Part 2. Write about the various different types of Hinduism and how they differ from each other.
Part 3. What are some of the major concepts and deities of Hinduism?
Part 4. What common Hindu notions, words, or practices have been incorporated into our society?
Essay Topic 3
Corbett mentions the keeping of trophies after making a kill and he refers to other hunters doing the same. Write an essay about big game and trophy hunting.
Part 1. What is trophy hunting? Compare trophy hunting to other forms of hunting. What are some of its advantages and disadvantages?
Part 2. What are some of the more usual trophies and some of the most sought after ones?
Part 3. Where do people go to go trophy hunting? How popular is the sport? Is the industry on the rise or decline?
This section contains 1,670 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)