|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last technique that Corbett uses to hunt the Thak man-eater?
2. What causes the tiger to flee from the kill area in the morning after Corbett's night tree vigil?
3. What does Corbett say plays an important role in our enjoyment of outdoor sports?
4. Which of the following best describes Ibbotson?
5. What animal is the Pipal Pani tiger mistaken for and shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Corbett forced to leave the fish? What does he do with it when he leaves?
2. Why is the setting particularly relevant to the story The Fish of My Dreams?
3. Why does Corbett think that he might be able to lure the tiger to him by calling? How does his attempt go, and how does he explain the results?
4. What run-in does the labor camp have with the man-eater of Thak? What happens?
5. What alarms the Pipal Pani tiger and his mate of Corbett's approach? Give details.
6. What unexpected thing does the Pipal Pani tiger do when he gets shot in the shoulder?
7. Describe Corbett's first encounter with the Kanda man-eater. How does it end?
8. Why does Corbett experience mixed emotions after shooting the Pipal Pani tiger?
9. Why do many men come to the area of the Thak man-eater? What are they doing there and how do they feel about the tiger? How do they show it?
10. What does Corbett mean when he says he sets out to follow the "drag" of the Mohan man-eater? Why does he say this term is misleading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Jim Corbett.
Part 1. Provide a general biography of the life of Jim Corbett.
Part 2. Explain how Jim Corbett became a hunter of man-eating tigers and leopards. Share some of his experiences.
Part 3. Describe the efforts and importance that Jim Corbett assigned to conservationism. What did he achieve and what is his legacy?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the British occupation of India.
Part 1. When, how, and why did the British occupy India? How did this benefit Great Britain and what consequences were there for India?
Part 2. Describe British / Indian relations up to and including World War 1. Explain the motives for the choices India made. Was this what the English were expecting?
Part 3. What happened after World War 1? Describe the Indian fight for independence.
Part 4. When did the British leave? How has India fared since they left? What might India have been like without the occupation?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about hemp.
Part 1. What is hemp? Where does it come? What is useful about it?
Part 2. Discuss the historic uses of hemp. What did our forefather's use hemp for?
Part 3. Why is hemp not as widespread today as it was?
Part 4. What products are available today in hemp, and how do they compare to their non-hemp counterparts?
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)