|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Pipal Pani tiger make his home?
2. What happens to Corbett when he retrieves the fish?
3. What does Corbett claim to enjoy doing?
4. Which of the following best describes Ibbotson?
5. Who was the first victim of the Mohan Man-eater?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Corbett experience mixed emotions after shooting the Pipal Pani tiger?
2. Why is Corbett forced to leave the fish? What does he do with it when he leaves?
3. What does Corbett mean when he says he sets out to follow the "drag" of the Mohan man-eater? Why does he say this term is misleading?
4. What does Corbett hear from the village of Thak when he sitting out over a dead buffalo waiting for the tiger to return? Why is this unusual? Where does it come from and what do people say it was?
5. Why is Corbett's feeling of relief greater than usual when he shoots the Thak man-eater?
6. Why do many men come to the area of the Thak man-eater? What are they doing there and how do they feel about the tiger? How do they show it?
7. What unexpected thing does the Pipal Pani tiger do when he gets shot in the shoulder?
8. Describe Corbett's first encounter with the man-eater of Mohan when he senses him above the road on the overhang.
9. Describe how Corbett finally encounters the Thak man-eater?
10. Why does Corbett worry about Ibbotson and his men one night after they leave him to sit up over a kill at night? What happens, and why didn't Corbett do anything?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Corbett mentions the keeping of trophies after making a kill and he refers to other hunters doing the same. Write an essay about big game and trophy hunting.
Part 1. What is trophy hunting? Compare trophy hunting to other forms of hunting. What are some of its advantages and disadvantages?
Part 2. What are some of the more usual trophies and some of the most sought after ones?
Part 3. Where do people go to go trophy hunting? How popular is the sport? Is the industry on the rise or decline?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about tiger development.
Part 1. Describe the infancy of tigers. Where are litters usually born? How many are there in a usual litter? How long until a young tiger can leave the den?
Part 2. Describe the adolescence of tigers. What can a young tiger do when it first starts leaving the den? How long does he continue to stay with his mother? How does he change and grow during this time?
Part 3. How long does a tiger stay an adult? When do they breed? What changes happen during the normal adult life of a tiger?
Part 4. When is a tiger considered old? What are some common ailments of aging tigers? Is the normal lifespan different for captive or wild tigers?
Essay Topic 3
Corbett often takes his dog Robin with him hunting. He depends on Robin to help him track big game by scent when he can't follow a visible a trail. Write an essay about hunting dogs and other service dogs.
Part 1. How many different jobs to dogs do for people? What variety of jobs or services are sometimes performed by working dogs.
Part 2. How have dogs been bred or selected to better perform their jobs? Give examples of specialty breeds and the jobs they perform.
Part 3. Man and dogs have been hunting together for a long time. Explain the possible origins of the relationship and the various roles that dogs play when assisting hunters.
This section contains 1,574 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)