|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the tiger to flee from the kill area in the morning after Corbett's night tree vigil?
2. What animal is the Pipal Pani tiger mistaken for and shot?
3. Why did the young man and a group of men venture far from the village?
4. What do the townspeople of Thak decide to do?
5. Which of the following is a habit of the Thak man-eater?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Corbett waits in a tree for the Kanda man-eater, he is jerked to full awareness by a langur warning call. What does Corbett first think it is that made the langur call, and what does it turn out to be? Explain.
2. What is Corbett's main intention at the locale of the story The Fish of My Dreams? Why is he having difficulty and when does he decide to go fishing?
3. Describe the setting of the chapter The Fish of My Dreams.
4. Describe how Corbett finally encounters the Thak man-eater?
5. What were Corbett's initial plans for the sleeping arrangement in Mohan? How and why were they changed?
6. Why is the setting particularly relevant to the story The Fish of My Dreams?
7. Why is Corbett forced to leave the fish? What does he do with it when he leaves?
8. How would you characterize the relationship between Corbett and the Pipal Pani tiger over the tiger's life?
9. What does Corbett hear from the village of Thak when he sitting out over a dead buffalo waiting for the tiger to return? Why is this unusual? Where does it come from and what do people say it was?
10. What happens between the time that Corbett throws his line in the water and when he tosses the flopping fish onto the shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Hinduism.
Part 1. Describe a general overview of the religion including number of followers and primary regions of the world where it is practiced.
Part 2. Write about the various different types of Hinduism and how they differ from each other.
Part 3. What are some of the major concepts and deities of Hinduism?
Part 4. What common Hindu notions, words, or practices have been incorporated into our society?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the flora and fauna that Corbett mentions in his book.
Part 1. Introduction - provide a general description of the nature of the Kumaon region.
Part 2. What flora does Corbett mention or discuss? Were you familiar with any of these plants?
Part 3. What fauna does Corbett come across in his adventures? Describe the animals and his experiences with them.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Tibet.
Part 1. Give a general overview of Tibet. Include it's location, population, and a summary that will give readers a representative idea about Tibet.
Part 2. Describe the geography and wildlife of Tibet.
Part 3. What is the current political situation of Tibet? Describe Tibet's relationship with China.
Part 4. What is the primary religion of Tibet? What world famous religious leader is from Tibet? Why does he no longer live there?
This section contains 1,421 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)