|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is only two or three hundred yards from the Foresters hut where Corbett stays in Mohan?
2. What does Corbett deduce about the man-eater from the information the villagers give him?
3. Why does Corbett chose to travel alone on the roads in the area of a man-eater?
4. What reason did Corbett find for the tiger in Mohan to have become a man-eater?
5. What did the Pipal Pani tiger no longer permit after his mate left?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Corbett finally encounters the Thak man-eater?
2. What happens between the time that Corbett throws his line in the water and when he tosses the flopping fish onto the shore?
3. Why is the setting particularly relevant to the story The Fish of My Dreams?
4. Describe the setting of the chapter The Fish of My Dreams.
5. Why does Corbett worry about Ibbotson and his men one night after they leave him to sit up over a kill at night? What happens, and why didn't Corbett do anything?
6. How does the Pipal Pani tiger get injured in the head? What does Corbett see that he is able to know this?
7. What happens when Corbett returns to the spot he left the fish?
8. Summarize the story Corbett tells of bravery in the chapter about the Kanda man-eater.
9. How does an old lady and a sixteen year old girl end up on the ledge of a cliff? What happens?
10. Why do many men come to the area of the Thak man-eater? What are they doing there and how do they feel about the tiger? How do they show it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Hinduism.
Part 1. Describe a general overview of the religion including number of followers and primary regions of the world where it is practiced.
Part 2. Write about the various different types of Hinduism and how they differ from each other.
Part 3. What are some of the major concepts and deities of Hinduism?
Part 4. What common Hindu notions, words, or practices have been incorporated into our society?
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between hunting and conservation?
Part 1. Historically, what role have hunters played in the creation of legislation for conservation?
Part 2. Write about several people who were both well known hunters and conservationists.
Part 3. What role do hunters today play in conservation?
Essay Topic 3
What constitutes a man-eater?
Part 1. Describe the animals around the world who have been known to become man-eaters.
Part 2. Why do animals occasionally hunt human flesh? Are there general reasons or individual ones?
Part 3. Name some famous cases of man-eaters from around the world and describe how the material previously discussed applies to them individually.
This section contains 1,480 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)