|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the Kanda tiger stalk and prepare to hunt the men from the village?
2. What does a friend bring to Corbett from the scene where the tiger was shot at night?
3. Which of the following best characterizes how the tiger cub approached the place he had left the chital?
4. What was Corbett's best guess at the weight of the fish?
5. What animals visit the kill site the first night Corbett sits out waiting for the Thak man-eater?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the story Corbett tells of bravery in the chapter about the Kanda man-eater.
2. How does the Pipal Pani tiger get injured in the head? What does Corbett see that he is able to know this?
3. Why is the setting particularly relevant to the story The Fish of My Dreams?
4. What run-in does the labor camp have with the man-eater of Thak? What happens?
5. What does Corbett hear from the village of Thak when he sitting out over a dead buffalo waiting for the tiger to return? Why is this unusual? Where does it come from and what do people say it was?
6. How would you characterize the relationship between Corbett and the Pipal Pani tiger over the tiger's life?
7. Why does Corbett think that he might be able to lure the tiger to him by calling? How does his attempt go, and how does he explain the results?
8. Why is Corbett's feeling of relief greater than usual when he shoots the Thak man-eater?
9. What is Corbett's main intention at the locale of the story The Fish of My Dreams? Why is he having difficulty and when does he decide to go fishing?
10. Why does Corbett worry about Ibbotson and his men one night after they leave him to sit up over a kill at night? What happens, and why didn't Corbett do anything?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Jim Corbett.
Part 1. Provide a general biography of the life of Jim Corbett.
Part 2. Explain how Jim Corbett became a hunter of man-eating tigers and leopards. Share some of his experiences.
Part 3. Describe the efforts and importance that Jim Corbett assigned to conservationism. What did he achieve and what is his legacy?
Essay Topic 2
Corbett often takes his dog Robin with him hunting. He depends on Robin to help him track big game by scent when he can't follow a visible a trail. Write an essay about hunting dogs and other service dogs.
Part 1. How many different jobs to dogs do for people? What variety of jobs or services are sometimes performed by working dogs.
Part 2. How have dogs been bred or selected to better perform their jobs? Give examples of specialty breeds and the jobs they perform.
Part 3. Man and dogs have been hunting together for a long time. Explain the possible origins of the relationship and the various roles that dogs play when assisting hunters.
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between hunting and conservation?
Part 1. Historically, what role have hunters played in the creation of legislation for conservation?
Part 2. Write about several people who were both well known hunters and conservationists.
Part 3. What role do hunters today play in conservation?
This section contains 1,477 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)