|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state does Corbett find the people of Pali when he arrives?
2. Whose home does Corbett see when traveling from town to town in pursuit of the Chowgarh man-eater?
3. When did the tigress of Muktesar start killing people specifically for her to eat?
4. What do the men from Champawat report having heard and seen?
5. Who does Corbett go fetch to help him retrieve the body of the Bachelor of Powalgarh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author give as the reason for the difference in hunting habits of man-eating tigers and man-eating leopards?
2. Why does Corbett experience mixed emotions after shooting the Pipal Pani tiger?
3. How does the bear hunt start when Corbett is out shooting ghooral for the village? What happens in the bear hunt and how do they eventually kill the bear?
4. What rumors about cross dressing does Corbett refute? What does he say is the truth?
5. How would you characterize the relationship between Corbett and the Pipal Pani tiger over the tiger's life?
6. Why do many men come to the area of the Thak man-eater? What are they doing there and how do they feel about the tiger? How do they show it?
7. What happens when Corbett first gets a shot at the Bachelor of Powalgarh?
8. Explain how the chital is both a help and a hindrance to Corbett as he stalks the wounded leopard with Robin.
9. Tell the story of the second wounded victim of the Chawgarh tiger that Corbett sees. How was she attacked and how did she return to town? What happens to her?
10. Explain what happens when Robin first chases a langur monkey? What did Robin learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Corbett implies in the beginning of the final chapter "Just Tigers," that shooting wildlife with a camera is infinitely harder than shooting them with a gun. Write an essay about wildlife photography.
Part 1. Describe the field of wild animal photography and film making.
Part 2. Give some examples of some extraordinary shots caught in the wild in pictures or on film.
Part 3. What are the challenges of wildlife photography?
Part 4. What techniques do people use to overcome the challenges of photographing or filming wild animals?
Essay Topic 2
Corbett refers many times to an unexplained feeling of danger that warns him when a tiger is nearby. Write an essay about extra-sensory perception.
Part 1. Describe the "feeling of danger" that Corbett experiences many times in his stories. Is Corbett's experience a common one?
Part 2. Explain what extra-sensory perception is, and the various forms it is reportedly experienced.
Part 3. Discuss the scientific approach that has been taken to explain ESP and the results.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the British occupation of India.
Part 1. When, how, and why did the British occupy India? How did this benefit Great Britain and what consequences were there for India?
Part 2. Describe British / Indian relations up to and including World War 1. Explain the motives for the choices India made. Was this what the English were expecting?
Part 3. What happened after World War 1? Describe the Indian fight for independence.
Part 4. When did the British leave? How has India fared since they left? What might India have been like without the occupation?
This section contains 3,134 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)