Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Corbett finally overtakes the wounded Bachelor of Powalgarh, how is he moving through the forest?
2. How does Corbett learn of the location of the Bachelor of Powalgarh when he starts to pursue him?
3. What is Robin's pedigree?
4. What tale about himself does Corbett refute?
5. What does Corbett say about assuming a tiger is a man-eater?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Corbett returns to the spot he left the fish?
2. Why is Corbett forced to leave the fish? What does he do with it when he leaves?
3. Explain what happens when Robin first chases a langur monkey? What did Robin learn?
4. Explain what happens when Corbett uses a buffalo to lure the tiger and waits for it on a rock ledge. What do the villagers discover.
5. What happens between the time that Corbett throws his line in the water and when he tosses the flopping fish onto the shore?
6. What does Corbett mean when he says he sets out to follow the "drag" of the Mohan man-eater? Why does he say this term is misleading?
7. Why is the first girl that the Chowgarh tiger wounded not being tended to when Corbett arrives? How was she attacked and how did she get to town?
8. Describe Corbett's first encounter with the Kanda man-eater. How does it end?
9. How does Corbett attempt to use water buffalo to help him stalk the Bachelor of Powalgarh? What happens?
10. What were Corbett's initial plans for the sleeping arrangement in Mohan? How and why were they changed?
Essay Topic 1
Kumaon is located in the mountainous northern part of India. Write an essay about India and this particular region.
Part 1. Give an overview and introduction of India, focusing on what it was like during the early 1900's. Include a description of the English Indian Army.
Part 2. Introduce the region of Kumaon in context of the rest of India. Where is it located? What is its geography?
Part 3. Describe the populace of the Kumaon region. What kind of lives did they lead in the 1900's? What, if anything, has changed since then?
Part 4. How did the people of the Kumaon region co-exist with tigers and leopards in the early 1900's? How about today?
Essay Topic 2
In the story of the man-eater of Thak, the villagers are taking care of a temple that is one of many "peethas". Write an essay about what this is and the religious story behind it.
Part 1. Introduce Hinduism, and some of the major gods and goddesses. Make sure to include Shiva and Parvati (or Sati).
Part 2. Tell the relevant story of Parvati, her father, and Shiva.
Part 3. Explain how the story relates to temple in the story, and explain the word "Peetha". Do all the Shakti Peethas have temples? What else is there?
Essay Topic 3
Many people that Corbett helped had never seen a rifle being used before his, and even in a land where man-eating tigers were wreaking havoc guns were scarce. Write a history of the development of firearms.
Part 1. Where did the first firearm originate from? What weapons were their ancestors?
Part 2. Describe the evolution of firearms from the first ones to the ones we are familiar with today. Include their migration all around the globe.
Part 3. How did firearms change the world around them?
This section contains 1,795 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)