|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Corbett finally overtakes the wounded Bachelor of Powalgarh, how is he moving through the forest?
2. How does Corbett learn of the location of the Bachelor of Powalgarh when he starts to pursue him?
3. What is Robin's pedigree?
4. What tale about himself does Corbett refute?
5. What does Corbett say about assuming a tiger is a man-eater?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Corbett returns to the spot he left the fish?
2. Why is Corbett forced to leave the fish? What does he do with it when he leaves?
3. Explain what happens when Robin first chases a langur monkey? What did Robin learn?
4. Explain what happens when Corbett uses a buffalo to lure the tiger and waits for it on a rock ledge. What do the villagers discover.
5. What happens between the time that Corbett throws his line in the water and when he tosses the flopping fish onto the shore?
6. What does Corbett mean when he says he sets out to follow the "drag" of the Mohan man-eater? Why does he say this term is misleading?
7. Why is the first girl that the Chowgarh tiger wounded not being tended to when Corbett arrives? How was she attacked and how did she get to town?
8. Describe Corbett's first encounter with the Kanda man-eater. How does it end?
9. How does Corbett attempt to use water buffalo to help him stalk the Bachelor of Powalgarh? What happens?
10. What were Corbett's initial plans for the sleeping arrangement in Mohan? How and why were they changed?
Essay Topic 1
In the story of the man-eater of Thak, the villagers are taking care of a temple that is one of many "peethas". Write an essay about what this is and the religious story behind it.
Part 1. Introduce Hinduism, and some of the major gods and goddesses. Make sure to include Shiva and Parvati (or Sati).
Part 2. Tell the relevant story of Parvati, her father, and Shiva.
Part 3. Explain how the story relates to temple in the story, and explain the word "Peetha". Do all the Shakti Peethas have temples? What else is there?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about tiger development.
Part 1. Describe the infancy of tigers. Where are litters usually born? How many are there in a usual litter? How long until a young tiger can leave the den?
Part 2. Describe the adolescence of tigers. What can a young tiger do when it first starts leaving the den? How long does he continue to stay with his mother? How does he change and grow during this time?
Part 3. How long does a tiger stay an adult? When do they breed? What changes happen during the normal adult life of a tiger?
Part 4. When is a tiger considered old? What are some common ailments of aging tigers? Is the normal lifespan different for captive or wild tigers?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the flora and fauna that Corbett mentions in his book.
Part 1. Introduction - provide a general description of the nature of the Kumaon region.
Part 2. What flora does Corbett mention or discuss? Were you familiar with any of these plants?
Part 3. What fauna does Corbett come across in his adventures? Describe the animals and his experiences with them.
This section contains 3,222 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)