|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men from Champawat report having heard and seen?
2. What does Corbett say about assuming a tiger is a man-eater?
3. What connects the appearance of man-eating leopards to disease epidemics?
4. What does Corbett decide to do before following the blood trail from the leopard?
5. Which of the following best characterizes the Bachelor of Powalgarh?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens when Corbett takes the skin of the tigress of Champawat to the woman that had pursued it when it carried off her sister.
2. Explain the circumstance in which Corbett shoots the first of the Chowgarh tigers. Why does he choose the tiger he does? Which one does he kill?
3. Describe the affliction of the tigress of Muktesar and circumstance of her first human kills.
4. Describe how Corbett shoots three ghooral mountain goats on his first outing with some men from Pali. What was their reaction? Why?
5. Who does Corbett find when he is on the trail of the Bachelor of Powalgarh? What does he help do and what does he get asked to do?
6. What goes wrong with the beat that Corbett plans to drive the tigress down a gorge? How does it all work out?
7. What does Corbett attempt to do by climbing a tree while stalking the Bachelor of Powalgarh? Is he successful?
8. Explain the connection between a disease epidemic and the resurgence of man-eating leopards.
9. What story of his own attack does the man with the mauled face tell Corbett in the Chowgarh man-eater? How did the man live?
10. Give some examples of situations in which a tiger might kill a human being but not be a man-eater.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kumaon is located in the mountainous northern part of India. Write an essay about India and this particular region.
Part 1. Give an overview and introduction of India, focusing on what it was like during the early 1900's. Include a description of the English Indian Army.
Part 2. Introduce the region of Kumaon in context of the rest of India. Where is it located? What is its geography?
Part 3. Describe the populace of the Kumaon region. What kind of lives did they lead in the 1900's? What, if anything, has changed since then?
Part 4. How did the people of the Kumaon region co-exist with tigers and leopards in the early 1900's? How about today?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Hinduism.
Part 1. Describe a general overview of the religion including number of followers and primary regions of the world where it is practiced.
Part 2. Write about the various different types of Hinduism and how they differ from each other.
Part 3. What are some of the major concepts and deities of Hinduism?
Part 4. What common Hindu notions, words, or practices have been incorporated into our society?
Essay Topic 3
In the story of the man-eater of Thak, the villagers are taking care of a temple that is one of many "peethas". Write an essay about what this is and the religious story behind it.
Part 1. Introduce Hinduism, and some of the major gods and goddesses. Make sure to include Shiva and Parvati (or Sati).
Part 2. Tell the relevant story of Parvati, her father, and Shiva.
Part 3. Explain how the story relates to temple in the story, and explain the word "Peetha". Do all the Shakti Peethas have temples? What else is there?
This section contains 1,664 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)