|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other animal does Corbett almost kill while hunting for the Chowgarh tigers?
2. What does Corbett find when he goes to investigate a report of a tiger killing a cow in a village near to Champawat?
3. Which of the following is NOT a natural circumstance which may incite any tiger to kill a human?
4. What act of heroism does a young woman do when the tigress carries off her sister?
5. What does Corbett say about the cubs of man-eaters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story of his own attack does the man with the mauled face tell Corbett in the Chowgarh man-eater? How did the man live?
2. Why is the first girl that the Chowgarh tiger wounded not being tended to when Corbett arrives? How was she attacked and how did she get to town?
3. What does Corbett attempt to do by climbing a tree while stalking the Bachelor of Powalgarh? Is he successful?
4. What rumors about cross dressing does Corbett refute? What does he say is the truth?
5. Describe how Corbett shoots three ghooral mountain goats on his first outing with some men from Pali. What was their reaction? Why?
6. Summarize the hunt for the leopard that Corbett tells which culminates in Robin leaving him in a tight corner.
7. Who does Corbett find when he is on the trail of the Bachelor of Powalgarh? What does he help do and what does he get asked to do?
8. Explain what happens when Corbett uses a buffalo to lure the tiger and waits for it on a rock ledge. What do the villagers discover.
9. What does Corbett say about the cubs of man-eaters? Why?
10. What story does Corbett tell as a warning against assuming that a wounded animal is where you last saw it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two of the world's most famous man-eaters are the man-eating lions of Tsavo. They are they subject of research, books, and several Hollywood movies. Write an essay about the Tsavo lions.
Part 1. Introduce Colonel Patterson and what he was doing when his crews started having trouble with the Tsavo lions.
Part 2. Describe the devastation and terror caused by the lions. What attempts were made to stop them?
Part 3. How were the lions finally killed? Where are the skins and heads of these lions now?
Part 4. What research is being done today to determine the number of victims of these lions and to determine what might have caused them to eat humans? What are they finding?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Jim Corbett.
Part 1. Provide a general biography of the life of Jim Corbett.
Part 2. Explain how Jim Corbett became a hunter of man-eating tigers and leopards. Share some of his experiences.
Part 3. Describe the efforts and importance that Jim Corbett assigned to conservationism. What did he achieve and what is his legacy?
Essay Topic 3
Many people that Corbett helped had never seen a rifle being used before his, and even in a land where man-eating tigers were wreaking havoc guns were scarce. Write a history of the development of firearms.
Part 1. Where did the first firearm originate from? What weapons were their ancestors?
Part 2. Describe the evolution of firearms from the first ones to the ones we are familiar with today. Include their migration all around the globe.
Part 3. How did firearms change the world around them?
This section contains 1,709 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)