|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What act of heroism does a young woman do when the tigress carries off her sister?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the things that Corbett says worked to his advantage when he finally came face to face with the Chowgarh man-eater?
3. Who does Corbett go fetch to help him retrieve the body of the Bachelor of Powalgarh?
4. Whose aid does Corbett unsuccessfully enlist to find the wounded Bachelor of Powalgarh?
5. How does Corbett learn of the location of the Bachelor of Powalgarh when he starts to pursue him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Corbett first gets a shot at the Bachelor of Powalgarh?
2. Why did the group of twenty men not pursue the woman they saw carried off? What happened when a rescue party did search for her?
3. Explain the connection between a disease epidemic and the resurgence of man-eating leopards.
4. What story of his own attack does the man with the mauled face tell Corbett in the Chowgarh man-eater? How did the man live?
5. Explain what happens when Robin first chases a langur monkey? What did Robin learn?
6. What goes wrong with the beat that Corbett plans to drive the tigress down a gorge? How does it all work out?
7. Summarize the hunt for the leopard that Corbett tells which culminates in Robin leaving him in a tight corner.
8. What does Corbett say about the cubs of man-eaters? Why?
9. Describe the affliction of the tigress of Muktesar and circumstance of her first human kills.
10. What does the author give as the reason for the difference in hunting habits of man-eating tigers and man-eating leopards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story of the man-eater of Thak, the villagers are taking care of a temple that is one of many "peethas". Write an essay about what this is and the religious story behind it.
Part 1. Introduce Hinduism, and some of the major gods and goddesses. Make sure to include Shiva and Parvati (or Sati).
Part 2. Tell the relevant story of Parvati, her father, and Shiva.
Part 3. Explain how the story relates to temple in the story, and explain the word "Peetha". Do all the Shakti Peethas have temples? What else is there?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the flora and fauna that Corbett mentions in his book.
Part 1. Introduction - provide a general description of the nature of the Kumaon region.
Part 2. What flora does Corbett mention or discuss? Were you familiar with any of these plants?
Part 3. What fauna does Corbett come across in his adventures? Describe the animals and his experiences with them.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Hinduism.
Part 1. Describe a general overview of the religion including number of followers and primary regions of the world where it is practiced.
Part 2. Write about the various different types of Hinduism and how they differ from each other.
Part 3. What are some of the major concepts and deities of Hinduism?
Part 4. What common Hindu notions, words, or practices have been incorporated into our society?
This section contains 1,779 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)