|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Corbett spend his first night in pursuit of the Chowgrarh tiger?
2. What establishes the fact that the first of the Chowgrarh tigers Corbett kills is also a man-eater?
3. What does Corbett say he has noted about the coats of man-eaters?
4. When does Robin disappear?
5. How is inter village communication maintained during the time of the Chowgarh tiger when the paths are too dangerous to use?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Corbett recount about the first time he took Robin out hunting as a puppy? What was Corbett's reaction to what happened?
2. Explain the connection between a disease epidemic and the resurgence of man-eating leopards.
3. What opportunity does Corbett miss when he sees just the hind leg and tail of a tiger while stalking the wounded Bachelor of Powalgarh? Why does he make the decision that he does?
4. What story does Corbett tell as a warning against assuming that a wounded animal is where you last saw it?
5. Explain the encounter the author has a young boy with a tiger in the forest.
6. Why is it important for Corbett to bring the family back any part, no matter how small. of a body that was taken away by a tiger?
7. What story of his own attack does the man with the mauled face tell Corbett in the Chowgarh man-eater? How did the man live?
8. How does the bear hunt start when Corbett is out shooting ghooral for the village? What happens in the bear hunt and how do they eventually kill the bear?
9. Tell the story of the second wounded victim of the Chawgarh tiger that Corbett sees. How was she attacked and how did she return to town? What happens to her?
10. What does the author give as the reason for the difference in hunting habits of man-eating tigers and man-eating leopards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kumaon is located in the mountainous northern part of India. Write an essay about India and this particular region.
Part 1. Give an overview and introduction of India, focusing on what it was like during the early 1900's. Include a description of the English Indian Army.
Part 2. Introduce the region of Kumaon in context of the rest of India. Where is it located? What is its geography?
Part 3. Describe the populace of the Kumaon region. What kind of lives did they lead in the 1900's? What, if anything, has changed since then?
Part 4. How did the people of the Kumaon region co-exist with tigers and leopards in the early 1900's? How about today?
Essay Topic 2
Two of the world's most famous man-eaters are the man-eating lions of Tsavo. They are they subject of research, books, and several Hollywood movies. Write an essay about the Tsavo lions.
Part 1. Introduce Colonel Patterson and what he was doing when his crews started having trouble with the Tsavo lions.
Part 2. Describe the devastation and terror caused by the lions. What attempts were made to stop them?
Part 3. How were the lions finally killed? Where are the skins and heads of these lions now?
Part 4. What research is being done today to determine the number of victims of these lions and to determine what might have caused them to eat humans? What are they finding?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Hinduism.
Part 1. Describe a general overview of the religion including number of followers and primary regions of the world where it is practiced.
Part 2. Write about the various different types of Hinduism and how they differ from each other.
Part 3. What are some of the major concepts and deities of Hinduism?
Part 4. What common Hindu notions, words, or practices have been incorporated into our society?
This section contains 1,650 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)