|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Chowgarh tigers doing when Corbett first sees them?
2. When do tigers sometimes hunt people?
3. Why does Corbett ask that the government rewards for the Champawat Man-eater be cancelled?
4. What do the men from Champawat report having heard and seen?
5. What was the total number of people the tigress of Muktesar ended up killing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Corbett finally encounters the Thak man-eater?
2. What story does Corbett recount about the first time he took Robin out hunting as a puppy? What was Corbett's reaction to what happened?
3. What opportunity does Corbett miss when he sees just the hind leg and tail of a tiger while stalking the wounded Bachelor of Powalgarh? Why does he make the decision that he does?
4. Why is it important for Corbett to bring the family back any part, no matter how small. of a body that was taken away by a tiger?
5. What happens when Corbett first gets a shot at the Bachelor of Powalgarh?
6. Describe how the Pipal Pani tiger gets shot for a second time, and how the men who go in search of him unknowingly put their lives in great danger, and what may have saved them.
7. Why is Corbett forced to leave the fish? What does he do with it when he leaves?
8. What were Corbett's initial plans for the sleeping arrangement in Mohan? How and why were they changed?
9. Explain the encounter the author has a young boy with a tiger in the forest.
10. Explain what happens when Robin first chases a langur monkey? What did Robin learn?
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between hunting and conservation?
Part 1. Historically, what role have hunters played in the creation of legislation for conservation?
Part 2. Write about several people who were both well known hunters and conservationists.
Part 3. What role do hunters today play in conservation?
Essay Topic 2
Two of the world's most famous man-eaters are the man-eating lions of Tsavo. They are they subject of research, books, and several Hollywood movies. Write an essay about the Tsavo lions.
Part 1. Introduce Colonel Patterson and what he was doing when his crews started having trouble with the Tsavo lions.
Part 2. Describe the devastation and terror caused by the lions. What attempts were made to stop them?
Part 3. How were the lions finally killed? Where are the skins and heads of these lions now?
Part 4. What research is being done today to determine the number of victims of these lions and to determine what might have caused them to eat humans? What are they finding?
Essay Topic 3
Many people that Corbett helped had never seen a rifle being used before his, and even in a land where man-eating tigers were wreaking havoc guns were scarce. Write a history of the development of firearms.
Part 1. Where did the first firearm originate from? What weapons were their ancestors?
Part 2. Describe the evolution of firearms from the first ones to the ones we are familiar with today. Include their migration all around the globe.
Part 3. How did firearms change the world around them?
This section contains 3,023 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)