|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Corbett worry about as he re-approaches the wounded leopard?
2. What act of heroism does a young woman do when the tigress carries off her sister?
3. What is a popular belief about man-eating tigers that Corbett claims is untrue?
4. What does Corbett deduce from the two wounded women that returned home after being attacked by the Chowgarh tiger?
5. Where does Corbett spend his first night in pursuit of the Chowgrarh tiger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opportunity does Corbett miss when he sees just the hind leg and tail of a tiger while stalking the wounded Bachelor of Powalgarh? Why does he make the decision that he does?
2. Why did the group of twenty men not pursue the woman they saw carried off? What happened when a rescue party did search for her?
3. Explain what happens when Robin first chases a langur monkey? What did Robin learn?
4. Tell the story of the second wounded victim of the Chawgarh tiger that Corbett sees. How was she attacked and how did she return to town? What happens to her?
5. What rumors about cross dressing does Corbett refute? What does he say is the truth?
6. What does the author give as the reason for the difference in hunting habits of man-eating tigers and man-eating leopards?
7. Why is the first girl that the Chowgarh tiger wounded not being tended to when Corbett arrives? How was she attacked and how did she get to town?
8. Explain what happens when Corbett uses a buffalo to lure the tiger and waits for it on a rock ledge. What do the villagers discover.
9. Who does Corbett find when he is on the trail of the Bachelor of Powalgarh? What does he help do and what does he get asked to do?
10. What happened to other hunters that nearly were able to shoot the Bachelor of Powalgarh? Tell how he escaped twice despite being only feet away from seasoned hunters that were hunting him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the flora and fauna that Corbett mentions in his book.
Part 1. Introduction - provide a general description of the nature of the Kumaon region.
Part 2. What flora does Corbett mention or discuss? Were you familiar with any of these plants?
Part 3. What fauna does Corbett come across in his adventures? Describe the animals and his experiences with them.
Essay Topic 2
What constitutes a man-eater?
Part 1. Describe the animals around the world who have been known to become man-eaters.
Part 2. Why do animals occasionally hunt human flesh? Are there general reasons or individual ones?
Part 3. Name some famous cases of man-eaters from around the world and describe how the material previously discussed applies to them individually.
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between hunting and conservation?
Part 1. Historically, what role have hunters played in the creation of legislation for conservation?
Part 2. Write about several people who were both well known hunters and conservationists.
Part 3. What role do hunters today play in conservation?
This section contains 1,715 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)