|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Corbett ask that the government rewards for the Champawat Man-eater be cancelled?
2. What does Corbett unsuccessfully do to try and locate the wounded Bachelor of Powalgarh in dense bushes?
3. How does Corbett eventually first encounter the leopard?
4. Who is being threatened by the Bachelor of Powalgarh when Corbett comes across them?
5. How many days in all does it take Corbett to kill the Bachelor of Powalgarh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to other hunters that nearly were able to shoot the Bachelor of Powalgarh? Tell how he escaped twice despite being only feet away from seasoned hunters that were hunting him.
2. What opportunity does Corbett miss when he sees just the hind leg and tail of a tiger while stalking the wounded Bachelor of Powalgarh? Why does he make the decision that he does?
3. What happens when Corbett first gets a shot at the Bachelor of Powalgarh?
4. Why is it important for Corbett to bring the family back any part, no matter how small. of a body that was taken away by a tiger?
5. What story does Corbett recount about the first time he took Robin out hunting as a puppy? What was Corbett's reaction to what happened?
6. Tell the story of the second wounded victim of the Chawgarh tiger that Corbett sees. How was she attacked and how did she return to town? What happens to her?
7. What story of his own attack does the man with the mauled face tell Corbett in the Chowgarh man-eater? How did the man live?
8. Explain what happens when Corbett takes the skin of the tigress of Champawat to the woman that had pursued it when it carried off her sister.
9. Who does Corbett find when he is on the trail of the Bachelor of Powalgarh? What does he help do and what does he get asked to do?
10. How does the bear hunt start when Corbett is out shooting ghooral for the village? What happens in the bear hunt and how do they eventually kill the bear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about leopards and tigers.
Part 1. Give a general introduction to tigers and leopards, providing general information like how many there are and where they live.
Part 2. How are they similar? Discuss the many ways in which leopards and tigers are similar.
Part 3. How are they different? Despite all their similarities, tigers and leopards are quite unique. Describe how they are different from each other and the other big cats.
Essay Topic 2
What constitutes a man-eater?
Part 1. Describe the animals around the world who have been known to become man-eaters.
Part 2. Why do animals occasionally hunt human flesh? Are there general reasons or individual ones?
Part 3. Name some famous cases of man-eaters from around the world and describe how the material previously discussed applies to them individually.
Essay Topic 3
Corbett refers many times to an unexplained feeling of danger that warns him when a tiger is nearby. Write an essay about extra-sensory perception.
Part 1. Describe the "feeling of danger" that Corbett experiences many times in his stories. Is Corbett's experience a common one?
Part 2. Explain what extra-sensory perception is, and the various forms it is reportedly experienced.
Part 3. Discuss the scientific approach that has been taken to explain ESP and the results.
This section contains 1,660 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)