|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is inter village communication maintained during the time of the Chowgarh tiger when the paths are too dangerous to use?
2. What happens while Corbett is writing the story about Robin?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the things that Corbett says worked to his advantage when he finally came face to face with the Chowgarh man-eater?
4. Who is being threatened by the Bachelor of Powalgarh when Corbett comes across them?
5. What does Corbett learn from the Chital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the bear hunt start when Corbett is out shooting ghooral for the village? What happens in the bear hunt and how do they eventually kill the bear?
2. Explain how the chital is both a help and a hindrance to Corbett as he stalks the wounded leopard with Robin.
3. Explain what happens when Corbett uses a buffalo to lure the tiger and waits for it on a rock ledge. What do the villagers discover.
4. Explain what happens when Corbett takes the skin of the tigress of Champawat to the woman that had pursued it when it carried off her sister.
5. What story of his own attack does the man with the mauled face tell Corbett in the Chowgarh man-eater? How did the man live?
6. Why is the first girl that the Chowgarh tiger wounded not being tended to when Corbett arrives? How was she attacked and how did she get to town?
7. How does Corbett attempt to use water buffalo to help him stalk the Bachelor of Powalgarh? What happens?
8. Explain the encounter the author has a young boy with a tiger in the forest.
9. Give some examples of situations in which a tiger might kill a human being but not be a man-eater.
10. What happens when Corbett first gets a shot at the Bachelor of Powalgarh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kumaon is located in the mountainous northern part of India. Write an essay about India and this particular region.
Part 1. Give an overview and introduction of India, focusing on what it was like during the early 1900's. Include a description of the English Indian Army.
Part 2. Introduce the region of Kumaon in context of the rest of India. Where is it located? What is its geography?
Part 3. Describe the populace of the Kumaon region. What kind of lives did they lead in the 1900's? What, if anything, has changed since then?
Part 4. How did the people of the Kumaon region co-exist with tigers and leopards in the early 1900's? How about today?
Essay Topic 2
Corbett refers many times to an unexplained feeling of danger that warns him when a tiger is nearby. Write an essay about extra-sensory perception.
Part 1. Describe the "feeling of danger" that Corbett experiences many times in his stories. Is Corbett's experience a common one?
Part 2. Explain what extra-sensory perception is, and the various forms it is reportedly experienced.
Part 3. Discuss the scientific approach that has been taken to explain ESP and the results.
Essay Topic 3
Corbett often takes his dog Robin with him hunting. He depends on Robin to help him track big game by scent when he can't follow a visible a trail. Write an essay about hunting dogs and other service dogs.
Part 1. How many different jobs to dogs do for people? What variety of jobs or services are sometimes performed by working dogs.
Part 2. How have dogs been bred or selected to better perform their jobs? Give examples of specialty breeds and the jobs they perform.
Part 3. Man and dogs have been hunting together for a long time. Explain the possible origins of the relationship and the various roles that dogs play when assisting hunters.
This section contains 1,708 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)