|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the wounded leopard go with Corbett and Robin tracking close behind?
2. What story does Corbett tell of Robin?
3. What does Corbett says tigers do not know about people?
4. How many people does the tigress of Champawat kill in all?
5. What physical ailment does Robin have that limits his abilities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Corbett find when he is on the trail of the Bachelor of Powalgarh? What does he help do and what does he get asked to do?
2. Explain the encounter the author has a young boy with a tiger in the forest.
3. Explain what happens when Corbett takes the skin of the tigress of Champawat to the woman that had pursued it when it carried off her sister.
4. What does Corbett attempt to do by climbing a tree while stalking the Bachelor of Powalgarh? Is he successful?
5. Explain how the chital is both a help and a hindrance to Corbett as he stalks the wounded leopard with Robin.
6. Explain the connection between a disease epidemic and the resurgence of man-eating leopards.
7. What does Corbett say about the cubs of man-eaters? Why?
8. What opportunity does Corbett miss when he sees just the hind leg and tail of a tiger while stalking the wounded Bachelor of Powalgarh? Why does he make the decision that he does?
9. What story of his own attack does the man with the mauled face tell Corbett in the Chowgarh man-eater? How did the man live?
10. What story does Corbett recount about the first time he took Robin out hunting as a puppy? What was Corbett's reaction to what happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Jim Corbett.
Part 1. Provide a general biography of the life of Jim Corbett.
Part 2. Explain how Jim Corbett became a hunter of man-eating tigers and leopards. Share some of his experiences.
Part 3. Describe the efforts and importance that Jim Corbett assigned to conservationism. What did he achieve and what is his legacy?
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between hunting and conservation?
Part 1. Historically, what role have hunters played in the creation of legislation for conservation?
Part 2. Write about several people who were both well known hunters and conservationists.
Part 3. What role do hunters today play in conservation?
Essay Topic 3
Many people that Corbett helped had never seen a rifle being used before his, and even in a land where man-eating tigers were wreaking havoc guns were scarce. Write a history of the development of firearms.
Part 1. Where did the first firearm originate from? What weapons were their ancestors?
Part 2. Describe the evolution of firearms from the first ones to the ones we are familiar with today. Include their migration all around the globe.
Part 3. How did firearms change the world around them?
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)