Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Corbett finally overtakes the wounded Bachelor of Powalgarh, how is he moving through the forest?
2. How does Corbett learn of the location of the Bachelor of Powalgarh when he starts to pursue him?
3. What is Robin's pedigree?
4. What tale about himself does Corbett refute?
5. What does Corbett say about assuming a tiger is a man-eater?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Corbett returns to the spot he left the fish?
2. Why is Corbett forced to leave the fish? What does he do with it when he leaves?
3. Explain what happens when Robin first chases a langur monkey? What did Robin learn?
4. Explain what happens when Corbett uses a buffalo to lure the tiger and waits for it on a rock ledge. What do the villagers discover.
5. What happens between the time that Corbett throws his line in the water and when he tosses the flopping fish onto the shore?
6. What does Corbett mean when he says he sets out to follow the "drag" of the Mohan man-eater? Why does he say this term is misleading?
7. Why is the first girl that the Chowgarh tiger wounded not being tended to when Corbett arrives? How was she attacked and how did she get to town?
8. Describe Corbett's first encounter with the Kanda man-eater. How does it end?
9. How does Corbett attempt to use water buffalo to help him stalk the Bachelor of Powalgarh? What happens?
10. What were Corbett's initial plans for the sleeping arrangement in Mohan? How and why were they changed?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Tibet.
Part 1. Give a general overview of Tibet. Include it's location, population, and a summary that will give readers a representative idea about Tibet.
Part 2. Describe the geography and wildlife of Tibet.
Part 3. What is the current political situation of Tibet? Describe Tibet's relationship with China.
Part 4. What is the primary religion of Tibet? What world famous religious leader is from Tibet? Why does he no longer live there?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the British occupation of India.
Part 1. When, how, and why did the British occupy India? How did this benefit Great Britain and what consequences were there for India?
Part 2. Describe British / Indian relations up to and including World War 1. Explain the motives for the choices India made. Was this what the English were expecting?
Part 3. What happened after World War 1? Describe the Indian fight for independence.
Part 4. When did the British leave? How has India fared since they left? What might India have been like without the occupation?
Essay Topic 3
In the story of the man-eater of Thak, the villagers are taking care of a temple that is one of many "peethas". Write an essay about what this is and the religious story behind it.
Part 1. Introduce Hinduism, and some of the major gods and goddesses. Make sure to include Shiva and Parvati (or Sati).
Part 2. Tell the relevant story of Parvati, her father, and Shiva.
Part 3. Explain how the story relates to temple in the story, and explain the word "Peetha". Do all the Shakti Peethas have temples? What else is there?
This section contains 1,765 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)