|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Corbett in a hurry to find the tiger as time moves on?
(a) The contractors are about to arrive with men.
(b) He knows the tiger is about to move locations.
(c) The tigress is killing many, many people.
(d) He has promised his family to retire on the 1st.
2. What does the father do when he realizes his son is missing?
(a) Gather a group to go on a tiger hunt.
(b) Send a telegram to Corbett.
(c) Weep uncontrollably.
(d) Searches all night in the wilderness for him.
3. Why does Corbett give up trying to film his subject?
(a) He gets tired.
(b) The subject disappears.
(c) The tigress gets hostile.
(d) The light gets bad.
4. Who tracks the man-eater or Thak the first time?
(a) Three groups of three.
(b) Just Corbett.
(c) Corbett and ten men from the village.
(d) Corbett, Ibbotson, and Tewari.
5. What is Corbett hoping to do after he sends his men back when he gives up filming?
(a) Catch a fish for his dinner.
(b) Go for a swim.
(c) Get one last glimpse of the python.
(d) None of the above.
6. What brings the tiger to the base of the tree Corbett is sitting in?
(b) It is passing on its way to the dead buffalo.
(c) It is stalking him.
(d) A teasing langur.
7. What does Corbett deduce about the man-eater from the information the villagers give him?
(a) None of the above.
(b) It is very old.
(c) It has poor eyesight.
(d) It has an injured leg.
8. Why does Corbett need to kill a snake before hunting a man-eater?
(a) The odor of snake meat is a powerful lure.
(b) To create faith in him from the people of the area.
(d) He uses the venom as poison.
9. What reason did Corbett find for the tiger in Mohan to have become a man-eater?
(a) An old hip fracture.
(b) A bullet in his shoulder.
(c) Broken teeth.
(d) Porcupine quills in his foreleg.
10. What does Corbett say plays an important role in our enjoyment of outdoor sports?
(a) All of the above.
(b) The people with you.
(c) The environment.
(d) The element of danger.
11. Who does the Thak man-eater cow into silence when they shout at her?
(a) The rescue party of her last victim.
(b) A group of big game hunters from out of town.
(c) Corbett's men.
(d) The men at the labor camp.
12. What animals visit the scene of the missing dead chital?
(a) Two langurs and a leopard.
(b) A tiger and a langur.
(c) A leopard and a boar.
(d) A boar and two chital.
13. What does Corbett claim to enjoy doing?
(a) Scaring the locals.
(b) Sitting up over a kill.
(c) Stalking predators.
(d) Watching young tigers hunt.
14. How does Corbett get a hold of the fish?
(a) The fish leaps out of the water while trying to escape him.
(b) He scoops the fish up in a net from a still pool.
(c) He slowly battles the fish into shallow water then tosses it onto land.
(d) He grabs it while it is wedged between two rocks.
15. What does Corbett worry the Pipal Pani tiger will do after being wounded?
(a) Move to another area.
(b) Hole up and die.
(c) Return to the village like he had before.
(d) Become a man-eater.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interesting information do the people of Mohan give Corbett about the man-eater?
2. What was Corbett's best guess at the weight of the fish?
3. What happens to Corbett when he retrieves the fish?
4. What does Corbett recommend great care be taken over when stalking tigers at their kills?
5. When does the father finally find the remains of his son?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)