Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Spade turn over to the police?
2. Who does Gutman say he hired to steal the falcon from the Russian?
3. Who does Spade have to keep an appointment with in this chapter?
4. What does Spade drink to seal his deal with Gutman?
5. Who does Sam send Iva to see?
Essay Topic 1
Examine Hammett's writing style. How would you describe Hammett's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Hammett's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
The women in the book are often depicted negatively. Discuss the negative way that Hammett represents women. Was this negative representation common during this period? How does this negative representation affect his portrayal of the male characters? In what ways would Hammett have to change the negative portrayal of women to be published today?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Sam Spade and Brigid.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)