|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the tall man in Spade's office ask for?
2. Who is the only person in the room who knows where the falcon is hidden?
3. Who was the falcon a gift for?
4. What reason does Brigid give for Spade not to hand her over to the police?
5. What is G's real name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hammett was a communist. Using two examples from the novel discuss the ways the story reflects Hammett's political ideas?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do the share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 1920s.
1) Why was greed and loyalty such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters negative characteristics are product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the the 1920s? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does modern society share any values with 1920s America?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)