|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the District Attorney think killed Thursby?
2. Why did Iva send the police to his apartment?
3. What alerted Gutman to Brigid and Thursby's location?
4. What information from the newspaper did Cairo tear out?
5. What characters are already in custody?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Maltese Falcon is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the The Maltese Falcon genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Maltese Falcon help to set the template for similar crime novels? Do modern crime novels still use the ideas used in The Maltese Falcon?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Hammett's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
The main themes in the novel are greed, loyalty and crime. Take one of these themes and discuss how Hammett expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1920s America?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)