|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who frisks spade?
2. Who does Spade call at the beginning of this chapter?
3. Whose three murders does spade want a fall guy for?
4. What does Spade realize he has to do to prove himself innocent?
5. What information from the newspaper did Cairo tear out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Sam Spade and Brigid.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: The Maltese Falcon depicts women in a negative light. Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The women in the book are often depicted negatively. Discuss the negative way that Hammett represents women. Was this negative representation common during this period? How does this negative representation affect his portrayal of the male characters? In what ways would Hammett have to change the negative portrayal of women to be published today?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)