|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Spade not want to be questioned by?
2. Who does Spade telephone in this chapter?
3. What alerted Gutman to Brigid and Thursby's location?
4. Where does Kemidov live?
5. Where did Brigid and Thursby go once they were in possession of the falcon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of 1920s.
1) Why was greed and loyalty such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters negative characteristics are product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the the 1920s? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does modern society share any values with 1920s America?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do the share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
The main themes in the novel are greed, loyalty and crime. Take one of these themes and discuss how Hammett expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1920s America?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)