|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who frisks spade?
2. What cit does rhea say Brigid has been taken to?
3. Where does Gutman want Spade to meet him?
4. Where does leave for at the end of this chapter?
5. Who does Spade have to keep an appointment with in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hammett lived in San Francisco and worked in a detective agency, adhering to the rule, writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Hammett knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Hammett does not portray a character or setting so well? What affect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
The women in the book are often depicted negatively. Discuss the negative way that Hammett represents women. Was this negative representation common during this period? How does this negative representation affect his portrayal of the male characters? In what ways would Hammett have to change the negative portrayal of women to be published today?
Essay Topic 3
The Maltese Falcon is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the The Maltese Falcon genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Maltese Falcon help to set the template for similar crime novels? Do modern crime novels still use the ideas used in The Maltese Falcon?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)