|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Effie upset?
2. Who does the District Attorney think killed Thursby?
3. Who does Spade have to keep an appointment with in this chapter?
4. Who enters as Spade is about to leave his office?
5. What reason does Brigid give for Spade not to hand her over to the police?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Hammett's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
In 1942 The Maltese Falcon was made into a famous film noir film starring Humphrey Bogart and directed by John Huston. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant ten years later? Do you think the ideas are timeless and universal? What is it about the novel that enabled it to be made into one of the finest examples of film noir?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Hammett use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character Spade Spade examine the way Hammett uses the other characters in the story. Does she use him or her for dramatic effect or comic aside? When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)