|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Brigid give for Spade not to hand her over to the police?
2. Where does Gutman want Spade to meet him?
3. What two us cities does the District attorney think the gangsters come from?
4. What will happen to Cairo if he does not go along with the story?
5. Who does Spade not want to be questioned by?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Hammett use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character Spade Spade examine the way Hammett uses the other characters in the story. Does she use him or her for dramatic effect or comic aside? When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1920s. How does Hammett express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Hammett was a communist. Using two examples from the novel discuss the ways the story reflects Hammett's political ideas?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)