|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alerted Gutman to Brigid and Thursby's location?
2. What country is the ship coming from?
3. What characters are already in custody?
4. What information from the newspaper did Cairo tear out?
5. Where does Spade think Brigid has gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main themes in the novel are greed, loyalty and crime. Take one of these themes and discuss how Hammett expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1920s America?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Sam Spade and Brigid.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 3
The women in the book are often depicted negatively. Discuss the negative way that Hammett represents women. Was this negative representation common during this period? How does this negative representation affect his portrayal of the male characters? In what ways would Hammett have to change the negative portrayal of women to be published today?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)