Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Spade turn over to the police?
2. Who does Gutman say he hired to steal the falcon from the Russian?
3. Who does Spade have to keep an appointment with in this chapter?
4. What does Spade drink to seal his deal with Gutman?
5. Who does Sam send Iva to see?
Essay Topic 1
The Maltese Falcon is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the The Maltese Falcon genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Maltese Falcon help to set the template for similar crime novels? Do modern crime novels still use the ideas used in The Maltese Falcon?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set in San Francisco.
1) What meaning does San Francisco bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in San Francisco?
2) How different do you think today's San Francisco is to the San Francisco in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's San Francisco?
3) How do you think the interior settings of the novel contribute to the novel's dark atmosphere?
Essay Topic 3
The women in the book are often depicted negatively. Discuss the negative way that Hammett represents women. Was this negative representation common during this period? How does this negative representation affect his portrayal of the male characters? In what ways would Hammett have to change the negative portrayal of women to be published today?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)