|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brigid want to get rid of the statuette?
2. Who does Brigid say hid the statue?
3. What does Spade make for Brigid to eat?
4. Who does Effie say has tried to contact Spade?
5. Which hotel has Miss Wonderly left a forwarding address?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Spade react to Iva's presence in the second chapter?
2. In what way does Brigid show her desperation for Spade services in the sixth chapter?
3. What do Spade and Tom Polhaus discuss in the second chapter?
4. Why does Spade think it is a good idea to use a fall guy?
5. What does Spade say Brigid, Cairo and Gutman do aboard the La Paloma?
6. How are Spade suspicions about Cairo's sexual orientation confirmed by Brigid?
7. Why is the thirteenth chapter titled Paloma?
8. How does Hammett use characters names to symbolize their function?
9. What does Spade work out about Miss Wonderly in the second chapter?
10. What does Sid Wise reveal about Iva in the twelfth chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Hammett use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Hammett lived in San Francisco and worked in a detective agency, adhering to the rule, writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Hammett knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Hammett does not portray a character or setting so well? What affect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Hammett's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Dundy and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Hammett provide the reader with information about that character?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)