|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Miss Wonderly's real surname?
2. Why did Thursby and Brigid go to San Francisco?
3. Why does Spade he kisses Brigid?
4. Why does Cairo pull out his gun?
5. What does Spade think of Brigid's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gutman want to keep Spade on his good side in the seventeenth chapter?
2. Describe the iconic dialogue Hammet uses in the novel.
3. In what way does Cairo turn the tables on Spade in the fifth chapter?
4. Why does Brigid say she sought Spade's help?
5. What happens when Spade returns to his apartment in the second chapter?
6. In what way is Spade shown to be a lady killer in the ninth chapter?
7. What does Spade tell Brigid that Cairo wants?
8. How does Spade change Cairo's mind about not going along with his plan?
9. What plan do Spade and Archer make in the first chapter?
10. Describe the man's entrance into Spade's office at the end of the fifteenth chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Sam Spade and Brigid.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 2
The Maltese is a famous book which has greatly influenced popular culture. Choose a film or book written after The Maltese Falcon that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 1920s.
1) Why was greed and loyalty such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters negative characteristics are product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the the 1920s? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does modern society share any values with 1920s America?
This section contains 1,638 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)