|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose offer does Brigid want Spade to forgo?
2. Why does Spade he kisses Brigid?
3. Why does Spade think that Miss Wonderly returned to her hotel?
4. What theatre does Spade go to?
5. Who does Spade visit after searching Brigid's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does horse feathers mean in terms of the eighth chapter?
2. What does Sid Wise reveal about Iva in the twelfth chapter?
3. What does Gutman's treatment of Rhea say about his character?
4. How does Spade rid Cairo of his weapon?
5. What is Spade's ulterior motive in helping out Brigid?
6. How are Spade suspicions about Cairo's sexual orientation confirmed by Brigid?
7. Why does Spade think it is a good idea to use a fall guy?
8. Why does Brigid want to get rid of the falcon?
9. Why does Gutman want to keep Spade on his good side?
10. Why is the sixth chapter called the undersized shadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: The Maltese Falcon depicts women in a negative light. Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Sam Spade and Brigid.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set in San Francisco.
1) What meaning does San Francisco bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in San Francisco?
2) How different do you think today's San Francisco is to the San Francisco in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's San Francisco?
3) How do you think the interior settings of the novel contribute to the novel's dark atmosphere?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)