|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Ambassador Hotel?
2. What does Spade say he does not have?
3. What does Cairo do when Spade returns his gun?
4. Who does Spade spot in the hotel?
5. Where does Archer have to meet Miss Wonderly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whay does Miss Wonderly pay the men $200?
2. What does Spade tell Brigid that Cairo wants?
3. What does Sid Wise reveal about Iva in the twelfth chapter?
4. What does the final chapter say about Spade's character?
5. Describe the story Spade tells Brigid at the beginning of the seventh chapter?
6. What plan do Spade and Archer make in the first chapter?
7. How does Spade react to seeing the young man in the tenth chapter?
8. How does SPade calm Brigid down in the tenth chapter?
9. How does Spade react to Miss Wonderly's presence?
10. How are Spade suspicions about Cairo's sexual orientation confirmed by Brigid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of 1920s.
1) Why was greed and loyalty such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters negative characteristics are product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the the 1920s? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does modern society share any values with 1920s America?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Hammett use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
The Maltese Falcon is written in the first person. Why do you think Hammett chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)