|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Iva suggest killed Miles?
2. What does Spade want Brigid to tell him a story about?
3. Who does Cairo point his gun at?
4. Who is going to follow Floyd?
5. What continent have Wonderly's parent traveled to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Spade change Cairo's mind about not going along with his plan?
2. Describe the story Spade tells Brigid at the beginning of the seventh chapter?
3. What happens when Spade returns to his apartment in the second chapter?
4. Describe the iconic dialogue Hammet uses in the novel.
5. Why does Brigid say she sought Spade's help?
6. Why is the thirteenth chapter titled Paloma?
7. What problems has Gutman had trying to get the falcon?
8. How does Hammett use characters names to symbolize their function?
9. How does Hammett use visual images in the novel?
10. What has happened to Miss Wonderly's sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Hammett's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Dundy and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Hammett provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Hammett use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Sam Spade and Brigid.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
This section contains 1,622 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)