Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Spade tell the young man to get in contact with him?
2. What is the name of the Russian?
3. What does Spade do when Cairo is close enough?
4. What is Miss Wonderly's real surname?
5. Who is going to follow Floyd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems has Gutman had trying to get the falcon?
2. What is Spade's ulterior motive in helping out Brigid?
3. In what way do Spade's qualities come out in this chapter?
4. What does Spade say Brigid, Cairo and Gutman do aboard the La Paloma?
5. How does SPade calm Brigid down in the tenth chapter?
6. How does Spade rid Cairo of his weapon?
7. How was the falcon made?
8. Why does Gutman want to keep Spade on his good side in the seventeenth chapter?
9. What does the final chapter say about Spade's character?
10. What was Brigid's relationship with Thursby?
Essay Topic 1
The Maltese is a famous book which has greatly influenced popular culture. Choose a film or book written after The Maltese Falcon that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 2
The main themes in the novel are greed, loyalty and crime. Take one of these themes and discuss how Hammett expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1920s America?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 1920s.
1) Why was greed and loyalty such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters negative characteristics are product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the the 1920s? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does modern society share any values with 1920s America?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)