|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Spade's secretary?
2. Where is the Ambassador Hotel?
3. Who is waiting for Spade when he arrives back at his office?
4. Why does Cairo pull out his gun?
5. Which policeman does Spade regard as his friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does SPade calm Brigid down in the tenth chapter?
2. Describe the game going on between Brigid and Spade?
3. What was Brigid's relationship with Thursby?
4. How does Hammett use characters names to symbolize their function?
5. Describe Joel Cairo and what he wants.
6. What does Spade tell Polhaus and Dundy at the end of the seventh chapter?
7. How does Hammett use visual images in the novel?
8. Describe Cairo's appearance in the hotel lobby in the tenth chapter.
9. What does Gutman's treatment of Rhea say about his character?
10. How does Spade react to Iva's presence in the second chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do the share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
The main themes in the novel are greed, loyalty and crime. Take one of these themes and discuss how Hammett expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1920s America?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Hammett's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Dundy and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Hammett provide the reader with information about that character?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)