|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Spade tell the young man to get in contact with him?
2. What does Brigid confirm about Cairo?
3. What did Spade earlier take from Cairo's pocket?
4. Where does Spade go to next?
5. What did Brigid take to San Francisco with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hammett use visual images in the novel?
2. Why is the sixth chapter called the undersized shadow?
3. Why is the thirteenth chapter titled Paloma?
4. How does Spade react to Brigid not being able to afford his services?
5. What was Brigid's relationship with Thursby?
6. How does SPade react to hearing his partners death in the second chapter?
7. In what way is the novel's attitude towards women demeaning?
8. How does Spade react to Iva's apology in the eleventh chapter?
9. How does SPade calm Brigid down in the tenth chapter?
10. What does Gutman's treatment of Rhea say about his character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Hammett's writing style. How would you describe Hammett's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Hammett's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
The Maltese Falcon is written in the first person. Why do you think Hammett chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
Hammett was a communist. Using two examples from the novel discuss the ways the story reflects Hammett's political ideas?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)