|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Effie say has tried to contact Spade?
2. What did Brigid take to San Francisco with her?
3. How does Spade act to Brigid's story?
4. Where is Cairo from?
5. What does Brigid confirm about Cairo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cairo's appearance in the hotel lobby in the tenth chapter.
2. How does Spade change Cairo's mind about not going along with his plan?
3. How does Spade react to Miss Wonderly's presence?
4. How does Spade react to Brigid not being able to afford his services?
5. How does Spade react to Iva's presence in the second chapter?
6. Why does Spade think it is a good idea to use a fall guy?
7. Why is Brigid so distressed in the fourth chapter?
8. What is Spade's excuse for Cairo and Brigid's behavior at the beginning of the eighth chapter?
9. How does Spade rid Cairo of his weapon?
10. What does horse feathers mean in terms of the eighth chapter?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1920s. How does Hammett express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Hammett was a communist. Using two examples from the novel discuss the ways the story reflects Hammett's political ideas?
Essay Topic 3
The women in the book are often depicted negatively. Discuss the negative way that Hammett represents women. Was this negative representation common during this period? How does this negative representation affect his portrayal of the male characters? In what ways would Hammett have to change the negative portrayal of women to be published today?
This section contains 1,467 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)