|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Cairo spent the night?
2. What does Brigid offer Spade?
3. Why is Floyd dangerous?
4. How does Spade act to Brigid's story?
5. What does Spade do when Cairo is close enough?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gutman want to keep Spade on his good side?
2. Why is Brigid so distressed in the fourth chapter?
3. Why does Gutman want to keep Spade on his good side in the seventeenth chapter?
4. What message does Miss Wonderly leave for Spade in the second chapter?
5. In what way does Brigid show her desperation for Spade services in the sixth chapter?
6. What does Brigid tell Spade about her part in the falcon in the ninth chapter?
7. What plan do Spade and Archer make in the first chapter?
8. What do Spade and Tom Polhaus discuss in the second chapter?
9. How does Spade react to Iva's apology in the eleventh chapter?
10. Why does Brigid want to get rid of the falcon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1920s. How does Hammett express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set in San Francisco.
1) What meaning does San Francisco bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in San Francisco?
2) How different do you think today's San Francisco is to the San Francisco in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's San Francisco?
3) How do you think the interior settings of the novel contribute to the novel's dark atmosphere?
Essay Topic 3
The main themes in the novel are greed, loyalty and crime. Take one of these themes and discuss how Hammett expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1920s America?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)