|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Brigid agree to come to San Francisco with Thursby?
2. Where does Dundy hit Spade?
3. What does Brigid offer Spade?
4. Where does Spade say Brigid can talk to Cairo?
5. Where has Cairo spent the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gutman's treatment of Rhea say about his character?
2. What does the final chapter say about Spade's character?
3. What do the police see when they enter Spade's apartment in the eighth chapter?
4. In what way does Cairo turn the tables on Spade in the fifth chapter?
5. Why is the thirteenth chapter titled Paloma?
6. What does Spade say Brigid, Cairo and Gutman do aboard the La Paloma?
7. In what way is the novel's attitude towards women demeaning?
8. How does Spade rid Cairo of his weapon?
9. What has happened to Miss Wonderly's sister?
10. How does Spade react to Iva's presence in the second chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Hammett's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
In 1942 The Maltese Falcon was made into a famous film noir film starring Humphrey Bogart and directed by John Huston. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant ten years later? Do you think the ideas are timeless and universal? What is it about the novel that enabled it to be made into one of the finest examples of film noir?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: The Maltese Falcon depicts women in a negative light. Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 1,580 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)