|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What motive does Iva think Spade had for killing Miles?
2. Why is Floyd dangerous?
3. Where does Archer have to meet Miss Wonderly?
4. What is the young doing?
5. How does Dundy react to Spade's joke?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Spade rid Cairo of his weapon?
2. How was the falcon made?
3. Describe the story Gutman tell in the Russian's Hand.
4. What do Spade and Tom Polhaus discuss in the second chapter?
5. What is Spade's relationship with the three women he has met so far in the novel?
6. In what way does Brigid show her desperation for Spade services in the sixth chapter?
7. How does Spade react to Iva's presence in the second chapter?
8. What does Sid Wise reveal about Iva in the twelfth chapter?
9. Why is the thirteenth chapter titled Paloma?
10. Describe the man's entrance into Spade's office at the end of the fifteenth chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1942 The Maltese Falcon was made into a famous film noir film starring Humphrey Bogart and directed by John Huston. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant ten years later? Do you think the ideas are timeless and universal? What is it about the novel that enabled it to be made into one of the finest examples of film noir?
Essay Topic 2
The Maltese Falcon is written in the first person. Why do you think Hammett chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
Hammett lived in San Francisco and worked in a detective agency, adhering to the rule, writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Hammett knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Hammett does not portray a character or setting so well? What affect does it have on the story?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)