|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Spade tell the young man to get in contact with him?
2. What is the name of the Russian?
3. What does Spade do when Cairo is close enough?
4. What is Miss Wonderly's real surname?
5. Who is going to follow Floyd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems has Gutman had trying to get the falcon?
2. What is Spade's ulterior motive in helping out Brigid?
3. In what way do Spade's qualities come out in this chapter?
4. What does Spade say Brigid, Cairo and Gutman do aboard the La Paloma?
5. How does SPade calm Brigid down in the tenth chapter?
6. How does Spade rid Cairo of his weapon?
7. How was the falcon made?
8. Why does Gutman want to keep Spade on his good side in the seventeenth chapter?
9. What does the final chapter say about Spade's character?
10. What was Brigid's relationship with Thursby?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: The Maltese Falcon depicts women in a negative light. Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set in San Francisco.
1) What meaning does San Francisco bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in San Francisco?
2) How different do you think today's San Francisco is to the San Francisco in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's San Francisco?
3) How do you think the interior settings of the novel contribute to the novel's dark atmosphere?
Essay Topic 3
Hammett was a communist. Using two examples from the novel discuss the ways the story reflects Hammett's political ideas?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)