|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Iva related to Miles?
2. What does Spade drink when he is back at his apartment?
3. When was Thursby found dead?
4. What motive does Iva think Spade had for killing Miles?
5. What does Cairo do when Spade returns his gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the sixth chapter called the undersized shadow?
2. How has Spade approached the case so far?
3. Why does Brigid say she sought Spade's help?
4. What is Spade's excuse for Cairo and Brigid's behavior at the beginning of the eighth chapter?
5. Why does Spade usher Iva out of his office?
6. How was the falcon made?
7. How are Spade suspicions about Cairo's sexual orientation confirmed by Brigid?
8. What is Spade's ulterior motive in helping out Brigid?
9. What does Spade tell Polhaus and Dundy at the end of the seventh chapter?
10. Describe the iconic dialogue Hammet uses in the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Hammett's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Dundy and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Hammett provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do the share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hammett's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?
This section contains 1,635 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)