|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Brigid say Cairo had the young man in the shadows?
2. What is Cairo trying to find in Spade office?
3. What does Spade look for in Brigid's apartment?
4. What continent have Wonderly's parent traveled to?
5. Where did Brigid meet Thursby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brigid say she sought Spade's help?
2. What does Spade tell Brigid that Cairo wants?
3. What was Brigid's relationship with Thursby?
4. Describe the story Gutman tell in the Russian's Hand.
5. What are the district attorney's theories about who the killer is?
6. How does SPade calm Brigid down in the tenth chapter?
7. How does Spade rid Cairo of his weapon?
8. What do the police see when they enter Spade's apartment in the eighth chapter?
9. What has happened to Miss Wonderly's sister?
10. Describe Cairo's appearance in the hotel lobby in the tenth chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Hammett use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Hammett's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1920s. How does Hammett express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 1,524 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)