|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Brigid agree to come to San Francisco with Thursby?
2. What city is the man from in Spade's story?
3. On whose behalf is Cairo acting?
4. Who arrives at Spade's apartment in this chapter?
5. Who does Miss Wonderly say Spade should ask for?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Cairo turn the tables on Spade in the fifth chapter?
2. In what way is Spade shown to be a lady killer in the ninth chapter?
3. How does SPade react to hearing his partners death in the second chapter?
4. Why does Gutman want to keep Spade on his good side?
5. What happens when Spade returns to his apartment in the second chapter?
6. Why does Spade usher Iva out of his office?
7. Describe the story Spade tells Brigid at the beginning of the seventh chapter?
8. What are the district attorney's theories about who the killer is?
9. Whay does Miss Wonderly pay the men $200?
10. What do Spade and Tom Polhaus discuss in the second chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1942 The Maltese Falcon was made into a famous film noir film starring Humphrey Bogart and directed by John Huston. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant ten years later? Do you think the ideas are timeless and universal? What is it about the novel that enabled it to be made into one of the finest examples of film noir?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Hammett's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Dundy and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Hammett provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hammett's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)