Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Spade tell the young man to get in contact with him?
2. What is the name of the Russian?
3. What does Spade do when Cairo is close enough?
4. What is Miss Wonderly's real surname?
5. Who is going to follow Floyd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems has Gutman had trying to get the falcon?
2. What is Spade's ulterior motive in helping out Brigid?
3. In what way do Spade's qualities come out in this chapter?
4. What does Spade say Brigid, Cairo and Gutman do aboard the La Paloma?
5. How does SPade calm Brigid down in the tenth chapter?
6. How does Spade rid Cairo of his weapon?
7. How was the falcon made?
8. Why does Gutman want to keep Spade on his good side in the seventeenth chapter?
9. What does the final chapter say about Spade's character?
10. What was Brigid's relationship with Thursby?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1920s. How does Hammett express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
The women in the book are often depicted negatively. Discuss the negative way that Hammett represents women. Was this negative representation common during this period? How does this negative representation affect his portrayal of the male characters? In what ways would Hammett have to change the negative portrayal of women to be published today?
Essay Topic 3
The Maltese Falcon is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the The Maltese Falcon genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Maltese Falcon help to set the template for similar crime novels? Do modern crime novels still use the ideas used in The Maltese Falcon?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)