|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has called Spade at his office?
2. Why does Spade he kisses Brigid?
3. Where did Brigid meet Thursby?
4. What is the young doing?
5. Who does Spade leave a message for when he rings the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the novel's attitude towards women demeaning?
2. How does Spade react to Iva's apology in the eleventh chapter?
3. What does Gutman's treatment of Rhea say about his character?
4. How does Hammett use characters names to symbolize their function?
5. What does horse feathers mean in terms of the eighth chapter?
6. What does Spade tell Brigid that Cairo wants?
7. How are Spade suspicions about Cairo's sexual orientation confirmed by Brigid?
8. Why does Gutman want to keep Spade on his good side in the seventeenth chapter?
9. What does Brigid tell Spade about her part in the falcon in the ninth chapter?
10. In what way does Spade choose loyalty over Brigid in the final chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women in the book are often depicted negatively. Discuss the negative way that Hammett represents women. Was this negative representation common during this period? How does this negative representation affect his portrayal of the male characters? In what ways would Hammett have to change the negative portrayal of women to be published today?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hammett's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Hammett was a communist. Using two examples from the novel discuss the ways the story reflects Hammett's political ideas?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)