|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Spade want Brigid to tell him a story about?
2. What is the young doing?
3. Whose murder do the officers question Spade about?
4. Who is going to follow Floyd?
5. Who does Brigid say hid the statue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does horse feathers mean in terms of the eighth chapter?
2. In what way is Spade shown to be a lady killer in the ninth chapter?
3. Describe the iconic dialogue Hammet uses in the novel.
4. What was Brigid's relationship with Thursby?
5. Describe the game going on between Brigid and Spade?
6. Describe the story Spade tells Brigid at the beginning of the seventh chapter?
7. Whay does Miss Wonderly pay the men $200?
8. In what way does Brigid show her desperation for Spade services in the sixth chapter?
9. In what way does Cairo turn the tables on Spade in the fifth chapter?
10. Why is the fifth chapter call ed the Levantine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Maltese Falcon is written in the first person. Why do you think Hammett chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do the share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Hammett's writing style. How would you describe Hammett's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Hammett's style give to the story?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)