|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is going to follow Floyd?
2. What is the name of this chapter?
3. Who does Cairo point his gun at?
4. What does Spade tell Brigid to do to get more money?
5. Where has Cairo spent the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Spade react to Miss Wonderly's presence?
2. How does Spade react to Iva's apology in the eleventh chapter?
3. What happens when Spade returns to his apartment in the second chapter?
4. Why does Brigid want to get rid of the falcon?
5. Whay does Miss Wonderly pay the men $200?
6. In what way does Spade choose loyalty over Brigid in the final chapter?
7. How does SPade react to hearing his partners death in the second chapter?
8. In what way does Cairo turn the tables on Spade in the fifth chapter?
9. How are Spade suspicions about Cairo's sexual orientation confirmed by Brigid?
10. Describe the iconic dialogue Hammet uses in the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Maltese is a famous book which has greatly influenced popular culture. Choose a film or book written after The Maltese Falcon that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 2
The women in the book are often depicted negatively. Discuss the negative way that Hammett represents women. Was this negative representation common during this period? How does this negative representation affect his portrayal of the male characters? In what ways would Hammett have to change the negative portrayal of women to be published today?
Essay Topic 3
Hammett was a communist. Using two examples from the novel discuss the ways the story reflects Hammett's political ideas?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)