|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Spade tell the young man to get in contact with him?
2. What is the name of the Russian?
3. What does Spade do when Cairo is close enough?
4. What is Miss Wonderly's real surname?
5. Who is going to follow Floyd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems has Gutman had trying to get the falcon?
2. What is Spade's ulterior motive in helping out Brigid?
3. In what way do Spade's qualities come out in this chapter?
4. What does Spade say Brigid, Cairo and Gutman do aboard the La Paloma?
5. How does SPade calm Brigid down in the tenth chapter?
6. How does Spade rid Cairo of his weapon?
7. How was the falcon made?
8. Why does Gutman want to keep Spade on his good side in the seventeenth chapter?
9. What does the final chapter say about Spade's character?
10. What was Brigid's relationship with Thursby?
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do the share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Sam Spade and Brigid.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Hammett use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character Spade Spade examine the way Hammett uses the other characters in the story. Does she use him or her for dramatic effect or comic aside? When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 1,564 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)