|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Floyd dangerous?
2. What is the name of the Russian?
3. Who does Effie say has tried to contact Spade?
4. What does Spade think of Brigid's story?
5. What is the name of Spade's partner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the thirteenth chapter titled Paloma?
2. Describe the story Spade tells Brigid at the beginning of the seventh chapter?
3. What problems has Gutman had trying to get the falcon?
4. What does Spade say Brigid, Cairo and Gutman do aboard the La Paloma?
5. In what way does Cairo turn the tables on Spade in the fifth chapter?
6. Why does Brigid want to get rid of the falcon?
7. What does Spade tell Polhaus and Dundy at the end of the seventh chapter?
8. Why is the sixth chapter called the undersized shadow?
9. How does Spade react to Miss Wonderly's presence?
10. Why does Spade think it is a good idea to use a fall guy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is set in San Francisco.
1) What meaning does San Francisco bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in San Francisco?
2) How different do you think today's San Francisco is to the San Francisco in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's San Francisco?
3) How do you think the interior settings of the novel contribute to the novel's dark atmosphere?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hammett's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The Maltese is a famous book which has greatly influenced popular culture. Choose a film or book written after The Maltese Falcon that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of:
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)