|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which hotel has Miss Wonderly left a forwarding address?
2. Who has called Spade at his office?
3. Where is the Ambassador Hotel?
4. In what city does the story take place?
5. Why could Spade not of killed Thursby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Spade usher Iva out of his office?
2. What happens when Spade returns to his apartment in the second chapter?
3. How does Spade react to seeing the young man in the tenth chapter?
4. Describe the story Gutman tell in the Russian's Hand.
5. Whay does Miss Wonderly pay the men $200?
6. What does Spade work out about Miss Wonderly in the second chapter?
7. In what way does Cairo turn the tables on Spade in the fifth chapter?
8. Why does Brigid say she sought Spade's help?
9. How does Spade react to Iva's apology in the eleventh chapter?
10. What is Spade's relationship with the three women he has met so far in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of 1920s.
1) Why was greed and loyalty such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters negative characteristics are product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the the 1920s? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does modern society share any values with 1920s America?
Essay Topic 2
The Maltese Falcon is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the The Maltese Falcon genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Maltese Falcon help to set the template for similar crime novels? Do modern crime novels still use the ideas used in The Maltese Falcon?
Essay Topic 3
The women in the book are often depicted negatively. Discuss the negative way that Hammett represents women. Was this negative representation common during this period? How does this negative representation affect his portrayal of the male characters? In what ways would Hammett have to change the negative portrayal of women to be published today?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)