|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Spade lie about in this chapter?
2. What is Sam doing when his phone rings?
3. Where did Brigid meet Thursby?
4. Why does Brigid feel distressed?
5. What city is the man from in Spade's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Spade usher Iva out of his office?
2. How does Hammett use characters names to symbolize their function?
3. What does Spade say Brigid, Cairo and Gutman do aboard the La Paloma?
4. Describe the man's entrance into Spade's office at the end of the fifteenth chapter?
5. Why does Gutman want to keep Spade on his good side in the seventeenth chapter?
6. Whay does Miss Wonderly pay the men $200?
7. What does Sid Wise reveal about Iva in the twelfth chapter?
8. Describe the story Spade tells Brigid at the beginning of the seventh chapter?
9. How does SPade calm Brigid down in the tenth chapter?
10. How are Spade suspicions about Cairo's sexual orientation confirmed by Brigid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main themes in the novel are greed, loyalty and crime. Take one of these themes and discuss how Hammett expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1920s America?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: The Maltese Falcon depicts women in a negative light. Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Hammett use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)