|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Spade spot in the hotel?
2. Where does Spade say Brigid can talk to Cairo?
3. Who tells Spade what happened to Archer?
4. How much money does Brigid give Spade?
5. Which character is bleeding in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the sixteenth chapter express the problems of its time?
2. Why does Gutman want to keep Spade on his good side?
3. What happens when Spade returns to his apartment in the second chapter?
4. What is Spade's ulterior motive in helping out Brigid?
5. What does Spade tell Brigid that Cairo wants?
6. In what way does Spade choose loyalty over Brigid in the final chapter?
7. In what way does Cairo turn the tables on Spade in the fifth chapter?
8. Why is the fifth chapter call ed the Levantine?
9. How does Spade change Cairo's mind about not going along with his plan?
10. What do the police see when they enter Spade's apartment in the eighth chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Hammett use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character Spade Spade examine the way Hammett uses the other characters in the story. Does she use him or her for dramatic effect or comic aside? When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Hammett use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 1920s.
1) Why was greed and loyalty such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters negative characteristics are product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the the 1920s? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does modern society share any values with 1920s America?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)