|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Spade look for in Brigid's apartment?
2. Which hotel does Spade ring?
3. When will the Wonderly's parents be back from Europe?
4. Whose murder do the officers question Spade about?
5. What is Cairo trying to find in Spade office?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the falcon made?
2. Describe Joel Cairo and what he wants.
3. What does the final chapter say about Spade's character?
4. In what way does Brigid show her desperation for Spade services in the sixth chapter?
5. How does Spade react to Brigid not being able to afford his services?
6. What does Brigid tell Spade about her part in the falcon in the ninth chapter?
7. Why is the fifth chapter call ed the Levantine?
8. Describe the story Spade tells Brigid at the beginning of the seventh chapter?
9. How does Spade react to seeing the young man in the tenth chapter?
10. How does SPade calm Brigid down in the tenth chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Discuss Hammett's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 2Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do the share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3Discuss the values of 1920s. 1) Why was greed and loyalty such an issue during this time? 2) In what ways are the characters negative characteristics are product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the the 1920s? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period? 3)Does modern society share any values with 1920s America?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)