|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Russian?
2. Why does Spade think that Miss Wonderly returned to her hotel?
(a) To pay her bill
(b) To meet Thursby
(c) To make a phonecall
(d) to meet her lover
3. Where did Brigid meet Thursby?
(c) Hong Kong
4. What did Brigid take to San Francisco with her?
(d) The Falcon
5. How does Brigid react to Spade's declaration that he met Cairo?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Iva suggest killed Miles?
2. Whose murder do the officers question Spade about?
3. Why did Brigid agree to come to San Francisco with Thursby?
4. What is the name of Spade's secretary?
5. What city is the man from in Spade's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Spade tell Brigid that Cairo wants?
2. What does Gutman's treatment of Rhea say about his character?
3. In what way does Brigid show her desperation for Spade services in the sixth chapter?
4. In what way does the sixteenth chapter express the problems of its time?
5. How does Spade react to Brigid not being able to afford his services?
6. How does Hammett use visual images in the novel?
7. How does Spade react to seeing the young man in the tenth chapter?
8. What is Spade's excuse for Cairo and Brigid's behavior at the beginning of the eighth chapter?
9. What happens when Spade returns to his apartment in the second chapter?
10. Describe Cairo's appearance in the hotel lobby in the tenth chapter.
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)