|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Ambassador Hotel?
(a) San Francisco
(b) New York
(d) Los Angeles
2. Who is the next person to arrive at Spade's office?
(a) Effie Perin
(b) Iva Archer
(c) Floyd Thursby
(d) Joel Cairo
3. What have Polhaus and Dundy come to question Spade about?
(a) His business practices
(b) His relationship with Iva
(c) His relatonship with Brigid
(d) Thursby's murder
4. Where does Archer have to meet Miss Wonderly?
(a) At the train station
(b) At her hotel
(c) In a bar
(d) At his house
5. Who does Spade say is still outside?
(c) The young man
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Spade he kisses Brigid?
2. Who does Spade leave a message for when he rings the hotel?
3. Why did Brigid agree to come to San Francisco with Thursby?
4. Who does Miss Wonderly say Spade should ask for?
5. Where does Brigid say Cairo had the young man in the shadows?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Spade choose loyalty over Brigid in the final chapter?
2. What do Spade and Tom Polhaus discuss in the second chapter?
3. How does Spade react to Iva's apology in the eleventh chapter?
4. What does the final chapter say about Spade's character?
5. What is Spade's ulterior motive in helping out Brigid?
6. How does Spade react to Brigid not being able to afford his services?
7. What are the district attorney's theories about who the killer is?
8. How has Spade approached the case so far?
9. What happens when Spade returns to his apartment in the second chapter?
10. How does Hammett use visual images in the novel?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)