|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is waiting for Spade when he arrives back at his office?
(a) Iva Archer
(b) Miss Wonderly
(c) Tom Polhaus
(d) Effie Perine
2. What useful things does Spade find in Brigid's apartment?
(b) Love letters
(d) Her bank details
3. Where is Cairo from?
4. Why does Cairo ask Spade to stand?
(a) To relieve him of his weapons
(b) To correct his posture
(c) To admire his figure
(d) To get him away from his desk
5. What does Brigid offer Spade?
(b) Her body
(c) Her hand in marriage
(d) Her apartment
Short Answer Questions
1. What theatre does Spade go to?
2. How many hours had Brigid been waiting in Spade's office?
3. Who does Cairo point his gun at?
4. What does Spade lie about in this chapter?
5. How much money does Brigid give Spade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the district attorney's theories about who the killer is?
2. What is Spade's ulterior motive in helping out Brigid?
3. Why does Spade think it is a good idea to use a fall guy?
4. What was Brigid's relationship with Thursby?
5. Describe the iconic dialogue Hammet uses in the novel.
6. What does Spade tell Polhaus and Dundy at the end of the seventh chapter?
7. How are Spade suspicions about Cairo's sexual orientation confirmed by Brigid?
8. What does Spade tell Brigid that Cairo wants?
9. How does Spade rid Cairo of his weapon?
10. What plan do Spade and Archer make in the first chapter?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)