|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Spade say Brigid can talk to Cairo?
(a) On the subway
(b) The police station
(c) His office
(d) His apartment
2. How much extra money does miss Wonderly give the detectives?
3. Who does Spade hope to see at the theater?
4. Which character in this chapter has their gun drawn?
5. Why does Cairo pull out his gun?
(a) To kill Spade
(b) To search Spade's office
(c) To kill himself
(d) For a joke
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Spade think that Miss Wonderly returned to her hotel?
2. Who yells from the living room?
3. On whose behalf is Cairo acting?
4. How is Iva related to Miles?
5. Which other policeman arrives with Tom Poulhaus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story Spade tells Brigid at the beginning of the seventh chapter?
2. In what way is the novel's attitude towards women demeaning?
3. How does Spade rid Cairo of his weapon?
4. What does horse feathers mean in terms of the eighth chapter?
5. Whay does Miss Wonderly pay the men $200?
6. In what way does Spade choose loyalty over Brigid in the final chapter?
7. What does Spade say Brigid, Cairo and Gutman do aboard the La Paloma?
8. How does Hammett use visual images in the novel?
9. In what way does the sixteenth chapter express the problems of its time?
10. What happens when Spade returns to his apartment in the second chapter?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)