|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Spade tell the young man to get in contact with him?
(d) His parents
2. Why does Spade usher Iva out of his office?
(a) Miss Wonderly is about to arrive
(b) The police are coming
(c) To get on with business
(d) To avoid speculation about their affair
3. Why does Cairo ask Spade to stand?
(a) To get him away from his desk
(b) To admire his figure
(c) To relieve him of his weapons
(d) To correct his posture
4. Where does Brigid say Cairo had the young man in the shadows?
5. What is Miss Wonderly's first name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Spade earlier take from Cairo's pocket?
2. Why is this chapter called the Levantine?
3. How does Spade act to Brigid's story?
4. Who announces the arrival of Miss Wonderly?
5. Who is going to follow Floyd?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Spade react to seeing the young man in the tenth chapter?
2. How does Hammett use characters names to symbolize their function?
3. Why is Brigid so distressed in the fourth chapter?
4. What was Brigid's relationship with Thursby?
5. Why does Gutman want to keep Spade on his good side?
6. Why is the sixth chapter called the undersized shadow?
7. Why does Spade usher Iva out of his office?
8. In what way does the sixteenth chapter express the problems of its time?
9. What does Spade tell Brigid that Cairo wants?
10. What does Spade tell Polhaus and Dundy at the end of the seventh chapter?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)