|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is this chapter called the Levantine?
(a) Spade wants to be a Levantine
(b) The statue is situated in Levant
(c) Cairo is from Levant
(d) Cairo looks like a Levantine
2. Where did Brigid meet Thursby?
(a) Hong Kong
3. Where does Spade say Brigid can talk to Cairo?
(a) His office
(b) The police station
(c) On the subway
(d) His apartment
4. What is the name of the man Miss Wonderly sister left New York with?
(a) Floyd Thursby
(b) Jack Wonderly
(c) Sam Spade
5. How much is Cairo willing to pay Spade?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting for Spade when he arrives back at his office?
2. What is Miss Wonderly's first name?
3. Who does Effie say has tried to contact Spade?
4. Where is Cairo from?
5. Where has Cairo spent the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the thirteenth chapter titled Paloma?
2. What does Spade work out about Miss Wonderly in the second chapter?
3. What does Spade tell Brigid that Cairo wants?
4. How does Spade rid Cairo of his weapon?
5. What is Spade's ulterior motive in helping out Brigid?
6. In what way does the sixteenth chapter express the problems of its time?
7. What does Spade say Brigid, Cairo and Gutman do aboard the La Paloma?
8. Why does Gutman want to keep Spade on his good side?
9. What do the police see when they enter Spade's apartment in the eighth chapter?
10. Describe the man's entrance into Spade's office at the end of the fifteenth chapter?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)