|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color does Spade say Brigid's eyes are in this chapter?
(a) Ruby red
(b) Ice blue
(c) Cobalt blue
(d) Sandstone brown
2. Who does Miss Wonderly say Spade should ask for?
(a) Miss Lucky
(b) Miss LeBlanc
(c) Miss Fantastique
(d) Miss Locket
3. How many hours had Brigid been waiting in Spade's office?
(a) One hour
(b) two hours
(c) Three hours
(d) Four hours
4. Who is the next person to arrive at Spade's office?
(a) Joel Cairo
(b) Effie Perin
(c) Floyd Thursby
(d) Iva Archer
5. Where did Brigid meet Thursby?
(c) Hong Kong
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Archer have to meet Miss Wonderly?
2. What does Spade want Brigid to tell him a story about?
3. Which hotel has Miss Wonderly left a forwarding address?
4. Why does Cairo point the gun at Spade the second time?
5. What is the young doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the novel's attitude towards women demeaning?
2. How was the falcon made?
3. How does Spade react to Brigid not being able to afford his services?
4. What does horse feathers mean in terms of the eighth chapter?
5. Why is the fifth chapter call ed the Levantine?
6. In what way does the sixteenth chapter express the problems of its time?
7. How does Hammett use characters names to symbolize their function?
8. In what way does Spade choose loyalty over Brigid in the final chapter?
9. What does Spade say Brigid, Cairo and Gutman do aboard the La Paloma?
10. Describe Joel Cairo and what he wants.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)