|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Effie say has tried to contact Spade?
2. What does Spade tell the police the whole situation is?
(a) A domestic
(b) A joke
(c) Gun practise
(d) A rehearsal of a play
3. What color does Spade say Brigid's eyes are in this chapter?
(a) Cobalt blue
(b) Ruby red
(c) Ice blue
(d) Sandstone brown
4. Who does Spade say Miles Archer was trailing?
(a) Floyd Thursby
(b) Effie Perine
(c) Iva Archer
(d) Miss Wonderly
5. What have Polhaus and Dundy come to question Spade about?
(a) His business practices
(b) His relatonship with Brigid
(c) Thursby's murder
(d) His relationship with Iva
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Spade drink when he is back at his apartment?
2. Who does Cairo point his gun at?
3. What does Spade lie about in this chapter?
4. What is the name of the man Miss Wonderly sister left New York with?
5. What does Cairo do when Spade returns his gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story Gutman tell in the Russian's Hand.
2. How does Hammett use characters names to symbolize their function?
3. What does Spade say Brigid, Cairo and Gutman do aboard the La Paloma?
4. Why does Spade think it is a good idea to use a fall guy?
5. What are the district attorney's theories about who the killer is?
6. What do Spade and Tom Polhaus discuss in the second chapter?
7. How are Spade suspicions about Cairo's sexual orientation confirmed by Brigid?
8. Why does Spade usher Iva out of his office?
9. Why is the thirteenth chapter titled Paloma?
10. How does SPade calm Brigid down in the tenth chapter?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)