|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Spade he kisses Brigid?
(a) She is beautiful
(b) She needs a man
(c) To shut her up
(d) She is a charming liar
2. What is Cairo trying to find in Spade office?
(a) The statuette
(d) Information on Brigid's case
3. What is the name of Spade's partner?
(a) Frank Spade
(b) Philip Marlowe
(c) Miles Archer
(d) Davis Archer
4. When will the Wonderly's parents be back from Europe?
(a) Three weeks
(b) Two weeks
(c) Two days
(d) Ten days
5. Whose house does Spade recommend Brigid stays at?
(d) His own
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Ambassador Hotel?
2. What does Spade think of Brigid's story?
3. What is the name of the Russian?
4. What does Cairo do when Spade returns his gun?
5. Why does Brigid feel distressed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the novel's attitude towards women demeaning?
2. How are Spade suspicions about Cairo's sexual orientation confirmed by Brigid?
3. Describe Joel Cairo and what he wants.
4. In what way does the sixteenth chapter express the problems of its time?
5. How has Spade approached the case so far?
6. What is Spade's relationship with the three women he has met so far in the novel?
7. Why does Gutman want to keep Spade on his good side in the seventeenth chapter?
8. In what way is Spade shown to be a lady killer in the ninth chapter?
9. Why does Spade think it is a good idea to use a fall guy?
10. What does the final chapter say about Spade's character?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)