|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cairo trying to find in Spade office?
(a) The statuette
(d) Information on Brigid's case
2. What does Spade lie about in this chapter?
(a) That the young man is still outside
(b) That he has made vegetarian sandwiches
(c) That the the coffee is caffiene free
(d) That he loves her
3. Why does Cairo ask Spade to stand?
(a) To admire his figure
(b) To get him away from his desk
(c) To correct his posture
(d) To relieve him of his weapons
4. What is the name of the Russian?
5. Where is the Ambassador Hotel?
(a) San Francisco
(b) Los Angeles
(d) New York
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Spade make for Brigid to eat?
2. Why does Cairo point the gun at Spade the second time?
3. How much money does Brigid give Spade?
4. What does Spade tell the police about his relationship with Iva?
5. Who does Spade spot in the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems has Gutman had trying to get the falcon?
2. What are the district attorney's theories about who the killer is?
3. What plan do Spade and Archer make in the first chapter?
4. Why does Spade usher Iva out of his office?
5. In what way does Spade choose loyalty over Brigid in the final chapter?
6. How does Hammett use characters names to symbolize their function?
7. Describe the story Spade tells Brigid at the beginning of the seventh chapter?
8. What does Spade say Brigid, Cairo and Gutman do aboard the La Paloma?
9. In what way is Spade shown to be a lady killer in the ninth chapter?
10. What message does Miss Wonderly leave for Spade in the second chapter?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)