|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old does Spade think the man is following him?
2. Whose house does Spade recommend Brigid stays at?
(c) His own
3. What city is the man from in Spade's story?
(a) Los Angeles
(c) New York
4. Why does Cairo pull out his gun?
(a) To search Spade's office
(b) To kill Spade
(c) For a joke
(d) To kill himself
5. Why did Thursby and Brigid go to San Francisco?
(a) They wanted to sell poetry
(b) Cairo was double crossing them
(c) The police were after them
(d) They wanted to raise a family
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Spade what happened to Archer?
2. Who is waiting for Spade when he arrives back at his office?
3. Who does Spade tell the young man to get in contact with him?
4. What does Spade want Brigid to tell him a story about?
5. Who yells from the living room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Spade rid Cairo of his weapon?
2. How does Spade react to Iva's presence in the second chapter?
3. In what way do Spade's qualities come out in this chapter?
4. Describe the man's entrance into Spade's office at the end of the fifteenth chapter?
5. Describe Cairo's appearance in the hotel lobby in the tenth chapter.
6. What does Spade say Brigid, Cairo and Gutman do aboard the La Paloma?
7. How has Spade approached the case so far?
8. What does Spade tell Polhaus and Dundy at the end of the seventh chapter?
9. What does Spade tell Brigid that Cairo wants?
10. What is Spade's ulterior motive in helping out Brigid?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)