|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Spade think of Brigid's story?
(a) A lie
(c) The truth
2. Why is this chapter called the Levantine?
(a) Spade wants to be a Levantine
(b) Cairo looks like a Levantine
(c) The statue is situated in Levant
(d) Cairo is from Levant
3. Where did the man find a new family?
(d) New York
4. When was Thursby found dead?
(a) A week before
(b) The previous night
(c) A month ago
(d) That morning
5. What is the name of Spade's secretary?
(a) Effie Wonderly
(b) Effie perine
(c) Marie Spade
(d) Marie Wonderly
Short Answer Questions
1. Which other policeman arrives with Tom Poulhaus?
2. What motive does Iva think Spade had for killing Miles?
3. Why does Brigid feel distressed?
4. Whose house does Spade recommend Brigid stays at?
5. What does Cairo want Spade to help him find?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Spade returns to his apartment in the second chapter?
2. How does Hammett use visual images in the novel?
3. What does Brigid tell Spade about her part in the falcon in the ninth chapter?
4. Why is the sixth chapter called the undersized shadow?
5. How does Spade react to Brigid not being able to afford his services?
6. Describe the game going on between Brigid and Spade?
7. What does Spade tell Brigid that Cairo wants?
8. What do Spade and Tom Polhaus discuss in the second chapter?
9. Describe the man's entrance into Spade's office at the end of the fifteenth chapter?
10. In what way does Spade choose loyalty over Brigid in the final chapter?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)