|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many hours had Brigid been waiting in Spade's office?
(a) Four hours
(b) One hour
(c) Three hours
(d) two hours
2. Whose murder do the officers question Spade about?
(a) Floyd Thursby
(b) Miss Wonderly
(c) Iva Archer
(d) Miles Archer
3. What theatre does Spade go to?
(a) The Avant-garde Theater
(b) King George Theater
(c) Geary Theater
(d) Apollo Theater
4. What building does Miss Wonderly want Spade to meet her at?
(a) Coronet building
(b) The Locksmith building
(c) The Harper building
(d) The Chaplin building
5. Which character is bleeding in this chapter?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Thursby found dead?
2. Who does Brigid say hid the statue?
3. Whose house does Spade recommend Brigid stays at?
4. Which policeman does Spade regard as his friend?
5. Who yells from the living room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sid Wise reveal about Iva in the twelfth chapter?
2. How was the falcon made?
3. In what way do Spade's qualities come out in this chapter?
4. What does the final chapter say about Spade's character?
5. How has Spade approached the case so far?
6. How does Hammett use characters names to symbolize their function?
7. What do the police see when they enter Spade's apartment in the eighth chapter?
8. Why does Spade usher Iva out of his office?
9. Why is Brigid so distressed in the fourth chapter?
10. In what way is Spade shown to be a lady killer in the ninth chapter?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)