|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Brigid want to get rid of the statuette?
(a) She wants to marry Spade
(b) She wants to help Cairo
(c) She thinks it is ugly
(d) She fears for her safety
2. What does the caller reveal?
(a) Spade is a fraud
(b) He is taking Spade to court
(c) Miles is dead
(d) He knows where Miss Wonderly's sister is
3. Why does Cairo point the gun at Spade the second time?
(a) To strip search him
(b) To search his office
(c) To take him as a hostage
(d) To kill him
4. Where does Brigid say Cairo had the young man in the shadows?
5. What does Brigid want to know about Spade's meeting with Cairo?
(a) The color of his eyes
(b) What he said about her
(c) If he had the statuette
(d) If he asked for Spade's help
6. Who is waiting for Spade when he arrives back at his office?
(a) Effie Perine
(b) Miss Wonderly
(c) Iva Archer
(d) Tom Polhaus
7. How does Spade get to the murder site?
(c) Takes a bus
(d) Takes a cab
8. How many hours had Brigid been waiting in Spade's office?
(a) Four hours
(b) two hours
(c) One hour
(d) Three hours
9. What city is the man from in Spade's story?
(a) Los Angeles
(b) New York
10. Who yells from the living room?
(c) Spade's sister
(d) Spade's cat
11. What motive does Iva think Spade had for killing Miles?
(a) To be with her
(b) To get his money
(c) To shut him up
(d) To get the business
12. What does Spade tell the police about his relationship with Iva?
(a) He denies it
(b) It was on Miles' consent
(c) She forced herself on him
(d) It was a bit of fun
13. Why did Thursby and Brigid go to San Francisco?
(a) They wanted to sell poetry
(b) They wanted to raise a family
(c) The police were after them
(d) Cairo was double crossing them
14. Whose house does Spade recommend Brigid stays at?
(a) His own
15. What is the young doing?
(a) Staring at Spade
(b) Reading the newspaper
(c) Loading his gun
(d) Talking on the phone
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Thursby found dead?
2. Who does Brigid say hid the statue?
3. Whose apartment does Spade arrive at at the beginning of this chapter?
4. What is the name of the man Miss Wonderly sister left New York with?
5. Who does Spade visit after searching Brigid's apartment?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)