|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is waiting for Spade when he arrives back at his office?
(a) Miss Wonderly
(b) Effie Perine
(c) Tom Polhaus
(d) Iva Archer
2. In what city does Miss Wonderly's sister live?
(a) San Francisco
(b) Los Angeles
(d) New York
3. What does Spade lie about in this chapter?
(a) That he has made vegetarian sandwiches
(b) That the young man is still outside
(c) That the the coffee is caffiene free
(d) That he loves her
4. How much is Cairo willing to pay Spade?
5. What is the name of Spade's secretary?
(a) Effie perine
(b) Marie Spade
(c) Effie Wonderly
(d) Marie Wonderly
6. Why does Spade say he urged Cairo and Brigid to play along with his joke?
(a) He wanted to make them look stupid
(b) He was tired of answering questions
(c) He wanted to divert their attention
(d) He wanted to see Dundy smile
7. Who yells from the living room?
(c) Spade's sister
(d) Spade's cat
8. How much extra money does miss Wonderly give the detectives?
9. What is Sam doing when his phone rings?
(b) Watching TV
(c) Fixing his sink
10. What does Spade do when Cairo is close enough?
(a) Knock him out
(b) Spits in his face
(c) Kisses him
(d) Kicks him in the groin
11. Where does Spade say Brigid can talk to Cairo?
(a) On the subway
(b) His apartment
(c) His office
(d) The police station
12. Where did Brigid meet Thursby?
(b) Hong Kong
13. What does Spade look for in Brigid's apartment?
(a) Love letters
(c) The falcon
14. What is the name of Spade's partner?
(a) Davis Archer
(b) Frank Spade
(c) Miles Archer
(d) Philip Marlowe
15. How much did Cairo offer Brigid to get the statuette back from a Russian?
(d) 500 pounds
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Spade spot in the hotel?
2. How much money does Brigid give Spade?
3. Who is the next person to arrive at Spade's office?
4. Who does Cairo point his gun at?
5. What does Spade take out of Cairo's pocket when he is unconscious?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)