|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dr. Raman feel about nature?
(a) That he can control it.
(b) This is a trick question; Dr. Raman never talks about nature.
(c) That the idea of nature is pure silliness.
(d) That it will take its course one way or the other.
2. Whose death causes the blind man to put a rope on the dog?
(a) The old woman's.
(b) His son's.
(c) His landlord's.
(d) His daughter's.
3. What does Rama sell?
(a) Good luck charms.
(b) Shoe shines.
(d) Indian snacks and coffee.
4. Who is Atilla named after?
(a) The town's mayor.
(b) Atilla the doctor.
(c) The family's grandmother.
(d) Atilla the Hun.
5. How does the blind man initially befriend the dog?
(a) He gives it toys.
(b) He gives it a bath.
(c) He puts a blanket on it.
(d) He gives it food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What musical instrument did the talkative man play in his youth?
2. How long does it take for things to settle down before Rama can try to reopen his business?
3. How long has it taken Soma to make his statue of a god?
4. What is the first job Velan gets after leaving his hometown?
5. How does Atilla react to Ranga?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Swami feel the need to make up such a complicated story about why he doesn't want to go to school?
2. What does Rao think about the dog he encounters?
3. What leads to Iswaren's death?
4. What can the god Nataraja do through dancing?
5. What happens to Naga after the boy rescues him (after he initially abandons him)?
6. What identifies Ranga as the thief?
7. What does Shanta's mother know about the trip to the movies that Shanta does not?
8. Why does the talkative man end up quitting music?
9. How does the reader know how much time passes during "The Axe"?
10. What act finally causes Swami to get caned by his teacher?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)