|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the sadhu first request of the talkative man?
2. What reason does Swami give his dad for not wanting to go to school?
(a) He fears the bus driver.
(b) He is afraid of the punishment for being late.
(c) He might get attacked by tigers on the way.
(d) He hasn't done his homework.
3. Why does Shanta's teacher let her go home early?
(a) She can tell she is agitated.
(b) She doesn't; Shanta just slips out.
(c) She has a note from her mother.
(d) Because her father still hasn't paid her tuition bill.
4. Where does Raju go to see how much money he has stolen?
(a) Onto a separate subway car.
(b) Behind an office building.
(c) Into the forest.
(d) Behind a nearby well.
5. Who is Rao Venkat?
(a) Shanta's grandmother.
(b) Shanta's mother.
(c) Shanta's father.
(d) Shanta's grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the newcomer on the train force to move?
2. How does the talkative man acquire his engine?
3. What item does the man in the green blazer buy for a motherless boy?
4. Who is Atilla named after?
5. What is Soma's regular job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the cobbler refuse the gift the hippie offers as he leaves?
2. What gifts does Rao plan to bring to the woman he slapped nearly 50 years ago?
3. What leads to Iswaren's death?
4. What is ironic about the final name change of the street that the talkative man has his house on?
5. Why does Sambu want to get a second opinion on his mother's health?
6. What kind of relationship do Mohan and Selvi have?
7. What happens when the necklace is found in "Leela's Friend"?
8. What happens to Naga after the boy rescues him (after he initially abandons him)?
9. What act finally causes Swami to get caned by his teacher?
10. What act of courtesy do the wreckers extend to Velan?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)