|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Govind Singh retire?
(a) Because his hearing is declining.
(b) None of these answers is correct.
(c) Because his hearing and vision are both declining.
(d) Because his vision is declining.
2. Who has the physical advantage between Iyer and the newcomer on the train?
(a) This is a trick question because we never learn about their physical appearance or size.
(b) The newcomer.
(c) They are about even.
3. Who is Rao Venkat?
(a) Shanta's mother.
(b) Shanta's grandfather.
(c) Shanta's father.
(d) Shanta's grandmother.
4. What ailment does Swami try to use to stay home from school?
(a) A headache.
(b) A bad cold.
(c) A sore throat.
(d) A tummy ache.
5. What is the name of the town that Velan walks to?
6. What reason does Swami give his dad for not wanting to go to school?
(a) He is afraid of the punishment for being late.
(b) He hasn't done his homework.
(c) He fears the bus driver.
(d) He might get attacked by tigers on the way.
7. What is Shanta learning at school?
(a) None of these answers is correct.
(b) How to tell time.
(c) Her alphabet and how to tell time.
(d) Her alphabet.
8. Why does Shanta's teacher let her go home early?
(a) She can tell she is agitated.
(b) She doesn't; Shanta just slips out.
(c) Because her father still hasn't paid her tuition bill.
(d) She has a note from her mother.
9. On what street does Rama have his business?
(a) Airport Avenue.
(b) Main Street.
(c) Market Street.
(d) Front Street.
10. What does the old man end up using to leash the dog by the end of the story?
(a) A metal chain.
(b) A leash made of horse hair.
(c) He never gets to leash the dog again because it runs away.
(d) A leather leash.
11. How does the family react to Thanappa's hiding of the mail?
(a) They report him to the authorities.
(b) They beat him.
(c) They forgive him.
(d) They run him out of town.
12. What is Soma's regular job?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is a dentist.
(c) He is a sculptor.
(d) He is a doctor.
13. What damage does the falling tree do to Soma's beloved statue?
(a) Knocks its toe off.
(b) Shatters it completely.
(c) Knocks its arm off.
(d) Knocks its head off.
14. What day does Swami not want to go to school on?
15. What exam does Iswaren have a problem passing?
(a) The Intermediate level exam.
(b) The French language exam.
(c) The college entrance exam (SAT).
(d) The physical exam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the talkative man sleep when the tiger comes?
2. What item does Ranga steal from the family?
3. What does Swami's father call him when he returns home from school?
4. What makes Raju try to return the stolen purse?
5. Who is Atilla named after?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)