|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Rama Rao win from the contest each week?
(a) 100 rupees.
(b) 5 dollars.
(d) 50 pounds.
2. Why does Shanta's teacher let her go home early?
(a) Because her father still hasn't paid her tuition bill.
(b) She has a note from her mother.
(c) She doesn't; Shanta just slips out.
(d) She can tell she is agitated.
3. Where does the astrologer set up his shop?
(a) At the edge of the forest.
(b) In a dark alley.
(c) In Town Hall Park.
(d) In the city library.
4. What causes the family that Velan works for to rent out their house?
(a) The master of the house dies.
(b) There is a mean family feud.
(c) A tornado comes through the city.
(d) The people need the tax break.
5. Where is Rajam Iyer's train headed?
(c) New York.
6. How much does Rama earn each day in sales?
(a) 30 rupees.
(b) 20 rupees.
(c) 10 rupees.
(d) 40 rupees.
7. What is Shanta learning at school?
(a) Her alphabet and how to tell time.
(b) Her alphabet.
(c) How to tell time.
(d) None of these answers is correct.
8. Where does the talkative man first try to keep his engine?
(a) On the town fairgrounds.
(b) In city hall.
(c) At the town library.
(d) Way out in the country where no one can find it.
9. What does the old man end up using to leash the dog by the end of the story?
(a) A metal chain.
(b) A leather leash.
(c) A leash made of horse hair.
(d) He never gets to leash the dog again because it runs away.
10. How long does it take for things to settle down before Rama can try to reopen his business?
(a) 10 days.
(b) 10 weeks.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 10 months.
11. How does the talkative man acquire his engine?
(a) By inheriting it.
(b) By saving for months.
(c) By winning a raffle.
(d) By stealing it.
12. What does Govind Singh do in his free time in retirement?
(a) Learn French.
(b) Travel the word.
(d) Make small models out of clay and sawdust.
13. What musical instrument did the talkative man play in his youth?
(a) The piano.
(b) The flute.
(c) The guitar.
(d) The lyre.
14. How long does the dog hang around the market before it meets the blind man?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 3 years.
15. What kind of house does Kannan live in?
(a) A small hut.
(b) A mansion.
(c) No house at all: he is homeless.
(d) A regular house -- not too big, not too small.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it taken Soma to make his statue of a god?
2. What kind of contest does Rama Rao end up entering each week?
3. What action of Govind Singh's attracts a police officer's attention?
4. What is the name of the town that Velan walks to?
5. What kind of clothing does the astrologer wear when he is first introduced in the novel?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)