|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times has Iswaren failed his exam?
(d) None -- he is taking it for the first time in this story.
2. How does Dr. Raman know Gopal?
(a) He is a famous movie star.
(b) He is his father.
(c) He doesn't know Gopal.
(d) They are childhood friends.
3. What does Iswaren's family think about his passing the exam?
(a) That he will pass it with no problems.
(b) That it doesn't matter because they bribed the test proctor to pass him anyway.
(c) They don't know that he is trying to take it.
(d) That he will never pass it.
4. How does the blind man initially befriend the dog?
(a) He gives it food.
(b) He puts a blanket on it.
(c) He gives it toys.
(d) He gives it a bath.
5. What is Dr. Raman known for?
(a) For the figurines he has in his office.
(b) For overbilling people.
(c) For helping the poor, even if they can't pay.
(d) For being direct with his patients.
6. Where is Rajam Iyer's train headed?
(b) New York.
7. What is the name of the town that Velan walks to?
8. Why does Velan leave his birthplace?
(a) He is running from the law.
(b) The woman he loves lives somewhere else.
(c) He is kicked out.
(d) He has a fight with his father.
9. What time does Shanta expect to go to the movies?
(a) 5:00 p.m.
(b) 7:00 p.m.
(c) 10:00 p.m.
(d) 6:00 p.m.
10. How long has it taken Soma to make his statue of a god?
(a) 5 months.
(b) 50 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 5 years.
11. What does the old man end up using to leash the dog by the end of the story?
(a) A leather leash.
(b) He never gets to leash the dog again because it runs away.
(c) A leash made of horse hair.
(d) A metal chain.
12. What makes Raju try to return the stolen purse?
(a) He knows his fingerprints are all over it.
(b) He feels guilty.
(c) The balloon that was meant for the motherless boy.
(d) He realizes it is the purse of a friend.
13. What does the talkative man sell for a living?
14. Why does Kannan decide he can gamble?
(a) Because he's the man of the house and he can do whatever he wants.
(b) Because he can just feel that he is lucky that day.
(c) Because the family has a surplus of money.
(d) Because his wife and son are out of town.
15. Who helps Dr. Raman perform an operation on Gopal?
(a) Gopal's wife.
(b) Two people who offer to help from the street.
(c) His assistants.
(d) No one; he must do the procedure alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Swami not want to go to school on?
2. How much money does Rama Rao win from the contest each week?
3. What goals does the talkative man's music teacher have for himself and his music?
4. What ailment does Swami try to use to stay home from school?
5. How much does Rama spend each day in supplies?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)