|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Iswaren die?
(a) By poison.
(b) By being shot.
(c) By drowning.
(d) By tripping, falling, and cracking his skull.
2. How much does Rama earn each day in sales?
(a) 20 rupees.
(b) 30 rupees.
(c) 10 rupees.
(d) 40 rupees.
3. How much money does Rama Rao win from the contest each week?
(a) 50 pounds.
(b) 100 rupees.
(c) 5 dollars.
4. How does the talkative man reach the village with the tiger?
(a) By river taxi.
(b) By foot.
(c) By train.
(d) By horseback.
5. What animal enters the room while the talkative man is playing music (after he has banned the sadhu from entering)?
(a) A man-eating tiger.
(b) A beautiful bird.
(c) A cobra.
(d) A lion.
6. Who buys the property Velan has worked on for years and years?
(a) The town's mayor.
(b) A developer.
(c) A dentist.
(d) A doctor.
7. What kind of clothing does the astrologer wear when he is first introduced in the novel?
(b) Just a towel, since he just got out of the shower.
(c) A dress.
(d) Bright colors.
8. How does the family react to Thanappa's hiding of the mail?
(a) They beat him.
(b) They forgive him.
(c) They report him to the authorities.
(d) They run him out of town.
9. What kind of house does Kannan live in?
(a) No house at all: he is homeless.
(b) A regular house -- not too big, not too small.
(c) A small hut.
(d) A mansion.
10. Where does Govind Singh work?
11. What does Iswaren's family think about his passing the exam?
(a) They don't know that he is trying to take it.
(b) That he will never pass it.
(c) That it doesn't matter because they bribed the test proctor to pass him anyway.
(d) That he will pass it with no problems.
12. How long has Govind Singh worked as a security guard?
(a) 25 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 50 years.
13. Where does the talkative man sleep when the tiger comes?
(a) In a cave.
(b) In a converted train car.
(c) In a tent.
(d) In a palace.
14. What ailment does Swami try to use to stay home from school?
(a) A headache.
(b) A sore throat.
(c) A bad cold.
(d) A tummy ache.
15. What item does the man in the green blazer buy for a motherless boy?
(a) New clothes.
(b) A stuffed animal.
(c) A balloon.
(d) A nice dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the talkative man acquire his engine?
2. How long does it take for things to settle down before Rama can try to reopen his business?
3. What does Soma offer to do to placate the god in lieu of damaging his beloved statue?
4. How does the talkative man acquire his engine?
5. What does the old man end up using to leash the dog by the end of the story?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)