|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the swami want the talkative man to do to him with his engine?
(a) Let him borrow it.
(b) Drive him to the next town over.
(c) Demonstrate it so they both can make money.
(d) Run him over.
2. What is the name of the town that Velan walks to?
3. Who has the physical advantage between Iyer and the newcomer on the train?
(a) They are about even.
(b) The newcomer.
(d) This is a trick question because we never learn about their physical appearance or size.
4. What does Kannan find in the tin where his wife keeps her money?
(c) A note yelling at him.
(d) Her money.
5. What kind of contest does Rama Rao end up entering each week?
(a) A crossword puzzle contest.
(b) A fashion show.
(c) A spelling bee.
(d) A lottery.
6. What government wants to nationalize the street names in "Lawley Road"?
(a) The municipal government.
(b) No government -- it's just a group of citizens who want to make the change.
(c) The state government.
(d) The federal government.
7. Who buys the property Velan has worked on for years and years?
(a) A dentist.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A developer.
(d) The town's mayor.
8. Where does Govind Singh work?
9. How does the blind man initially befriend the dog?
(a) He gives it food.
(b) He gives it toys.
(c) He gives it a bath.
(d) He puts a blanket on it.
10. What animal enters the room while the talkative man is playing music (after he has banned the sadhu from entering)?
(a) A lion.
(b) A beautiful bird.
(c) A cobra.
(d) A man-eating tiger.
11. Why does Kannan decide he can gamble?
(a) Because the family has a surplus of money.
(b) Because he can just feel that he is lucky that day.
(c) Because his wife and son are out of town.
(d) Because he's the man of the house and he can do whatever he wants.
12. What goals does the talkative man have for himself and his music?
(a) Just to play at the village temple.
(b) To play with Yo Yo Ma one day.
(c) To become rich and famous.
(d) To get his vision back.
13. Who helps Dr. Raman perform an operation on Gopal?
(a) Gopal's wife.
(b) No one; he must do the procedure alone.
(c) Two people who offer to help from the street.
(d) His assistants.
14. What is Shanta learning at school?
(a) None of these answers is correct.
(b) How to tell time.
(c) Her alphabet and how to tell time.
(d) Her alphabet.
15. How long has Govind Singh worked as a security guard?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 50 years.
(d) 25 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kannan want to gamble?
2. From whom does the blind man get the rope that he uses on the dog?
3. What skill does Iyer lie to the newcomer on the train about having?
4. What does Rama sell?
5. Where is Rajam Iyer's train headed?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)