|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maldoror say happened when he decided to not kill the embodiment of Prostitution?
2. Why does Maldoror suggest that the reader grow his/her fingernails out?
3. Why does the toad say he hates Maldoror?
4. In Book II, Stanza 9, why does Maldoror say some men keep insects as pets?
5. In Book III, Stanza 2, how does the narrator discover the mad woman's secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maldoror praise mathematics in Book II, Stanza 10?
2. In Book II, Stanza 12, what does Maldoror say about praying as a child?
3. What does Maldoror predict about his death in Book I, Stanza 10?
4. What happens when Maldoror addresses the lamp hanging in a cathedral?
5. When Mario and Maldoror travel together in Book III, what do they talk about?
6. In Book II, Stanza 15, what does Maldoror do when he finds himself at odds with conscience?
7. Why does Maldoror feel the ocean is superior to humanity?
8. What happens when the grave-digger asks Maldoror about his life?
9. What does Maldoror do after watching the family eat dinner in Book I, Stanza 11?
10. What happens to God when He passes out drunk on earth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is success defined in this poem? How is the search for success a theme? Give specific examples from the poem to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
How does "Lautréamont's Maldoror" define childhood vs. adulthood? Why are these divisions important to the poem at the time in which it was written?
Essay Topic 3
What is this poem's commentary on the role of religion in the lives of people? Give examples from the poem to support your position. How could the background of the poet effect how religion is portrayed?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)