|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Stanza 9, why does Maldoror say some men keep insects as pets?
2. In what does Maldoror tell the grave-digger to trust?
3. What does Maldoror say mathematics has done for him?
4. In Book I, Stanza 6, what does Maldoror say has the sweetest taste?
5. Why does Maldoror send away the beautiful girl in Book II, Stanza 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maldoror praise mathematics in Book II, Stanza 10?
2. How does Maldoror feel about the talking toad he meets in Book I, Stanza 13?
3. What does Maldoror predict about his death in Book I, Stanza 10?
4. In Book I Stanza 5, what is the first thing Maldoror tells the reader?
5. In Book I, Stanza 6, what does Maldoror suggest people do to children?
6. What happens to God when He passes out drunk on earth?
7. When Mario and Maldoror travel together in Book III, what do they talk about?
8. In Book 1, Stanza 8, why does Maldoror say he is like dogs?
9. In Book II, Stanza 15, what does Maldoror do when he finds himself at odds with conscience?
10. What does Maldoror say about the ten-year old girl who used to follow him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how and why animals are used in "Lautréamont's Maldoror," giving specific examples from the text to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
How is "Lautréamont's Maldoror" a critique of Christianity? Give examples of Christian themes or symbols used by the author and their implications.
Essay Topic 3
How is success defined in this poem? How is the search for success a theme? Give specific examples from the poem to support your position.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)