|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Stanza 13, how does Maldoror know the man he meets is good?
2. Why does Maldoror strangle the child in Book I, Stanza 11?
3. What happens to the boy in Book II, Stanza 6, after Maldoror talks with him about heaven?
4. What does Maldoror say he promised Holzer?
5. What does the narrator say the reader must read these poems with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maldoror feel the ocean is superior to humanity?
2. What does Maldoror say about the ten-year old girl who used to follow him?
3. How does Maldoror feel about the talking toad he meets in Book I, Stanza 13?
4. How was Maldoror's childhood deafness cured?
5. What does Maldoror predict about his death in Book I, Stanza 10?
6. What does the narrator say in Book I, Stanza 14?
7. Why does Maldoror praise mathematics in Book II, Stanza 10?
8. In Book II, Stanza 12, what does Maldoror say about praying as a child?
9. What does Maldoror do after visiting a brothel in Book III, Stanza 5?
10. In Book II, Stanza 15, what does Maldoror do when he finds himself at odds with conscience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is conscience developed as a theme in "Lautréamont's Maldoror"? Give specific examples of the use of conscience in the poem.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast at least two of Maldoror's victims and consider what each victim represents. Why would the author use this juxtaposition?
Essay Topic 3
How is success defined in this poem? How is the search for success a theme? Give specific examples from the poem to support your position.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)