|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maldoror send away the beautiful girl in Book II, Stanza 13?
2. Why did the bulldog Maldoror sent to kill the mad woman's daughter not kill the girl?
3. In Book I, Stanza 5, what does Maldoror say differs among men?
4. In Book I, Stanza 10, who does Maldoror think will not surround him at the time of his death?
5. Where does the hermaphrodite live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say in Book I, Stanza 14?
2. In Book 1, Stanza 8, why does Maldoror say he is like dogs?
3. What does the grave digger tell Maldoror about mortality?
4. What happens to God when He passes out drunk on earth?
5. What does Maldoror say about the ten-year old girl who used to follow him?
6. What happens to Maldoror when he realizes he was born evil?
7. In Book III, Stanza 3, what does Tremdall witness?
8. When Mario and Maldoror travel together in Book III, what do they talk about?
9. At the end of Book II, what does the narrator say his poem might cause?
10. Why does Maldoror feel the ocean is superior to humanity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is "Lautréamont's Maldoror" a critique of Christianity? Give examples of Christian themes or symbols used by the author and their implications.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast at least two of Maldoror's victims and consider what each victim represents. Why would the author use this juxtaposition?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of morality in this poem. What is Lautréamont's message? Give examples from the poem to support your statements about morality.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)