|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator assume about the vulture in Book V, Stanza 2?
(a) That he is the beetle's brother.
(b) That he is an angel.
(c) That he is a spy.
(d) That he used to be the woman's lover.
2. In Book V, Stanza 6, what message is given about the child?
(a) He will return for a second life.
(b) He will be missed.
(c) He will grow as a tree.
(d) He is still alive in heaven.
3. What does the man with webbed feet say he wanted to do when he escaped the basement?
(a) Build a hut on a mountain.
(b) Start a farm.
(c) Run away.
(d) Throw himself out to sea.
4. Why does Mervyn begin walking faster?
(a) He thinks he is lost.
(b) He senses danger.
(c) He is late.
(d) He hates Maldoror.
5. In Book IV, Stanza 4, why does Maldoror lose the use of his limbs?
(a) From sin.
(b) From a train accident.
(c) From laying in the same spot.
(d) From a fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book V, Stanza 4, what is the spirit trying to do to the narrator's soul?
2. What does Mervyn do when he reaches home in Book IV, Stanza 3?
3. Why does Maldoror say he is most interested in young boys?
4. What is revealed about the beetles balls once he rolls them up the mound?
5. In Book IV, Stanza 1, how does the narrator describe his success so far in the poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maldoror remember being angry with Falmer?
2. In Book V, Stanza 2, what does the narrator realize about the vulture and the owl?
3. How does Maldoror's letter to Mervyn impact Mervyn?
4. How does Elsseneur try to seek revenge against Maldoror?
5. How does Maldoror compare himself to the man with stolen eyes in Book IV, Stanza 5?
6. In Book VI, Stanza 4, what does Maldoror learn from listening in at Mervyn's door?
7. Why is Maldoror still alive in Book IV, Stanza 4?
8. What does the narrator think of martyrs?
9. Why does the man in Book IV, Stanza 7 live at sea?
10. In Book V, Stanza 2, what does the beetle do?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)