|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about the events with the beetle in Book V, Stanza 2?
(a) He thinks the location is pretty.
(b) He isn't sure if it's a dream or not.
(c) He thinks the beetle is wrong.
(d) He thinks the beetle is right.
2. Why does the man with webbed feet say he was trapped in a basement?
(a) Because of his webbed feet.
(b) Because he commited a crime.
(c) Because he was hiding from someone.
(d) Because of his brother.
3. Why does Mervyn begin walking faster?
(a) He senses danger.
(b) He hates Maldoror.
(c) He thinks he is lost.
(d) He is late.
4. In Book IV, Stanza 6, where does Maldoror remember falling asleep?
(a) Next to a river.
(b) In a cave.
(c) In a tree.
(d) On a cliff.
5. What pleased Maldoror in his dream in Book IV, Stanza 6?
(a) The money he found.
(b) Being able to fly.
(c) His ability to defy God.
(d) Leaving the human race.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Maldoror leave the man in the gallows under the care of?
2. In Book IV, Stanza 4, why does Maldoror say he continues to hate God?
3. In Book IV, Stanza 4, why does Maldoror lose the use of his limbs?
4. In Book IV, Stanza 1, what does the narrator say is in his inquiry?
5. In Book IV, Stanza 4, how does Maldoror react to the crab he finds living in him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book VI, Stanza 4, what does Maldoror learn from listening in at Mervyn's door?
2. Why is Maldoror still alive in Book IV, Stanza 4?
3. What introduction to Book V does the narrator give?
4. In Book IV, Stanza 2, what is Maldoror's conflict with humanity?
5. Who is Elsseneur?
6. What happens at the child's funeral in Book V, Stanza 6?
7. What happens when Maldoror first sees Mervyn?
8. In Book V, Stanza 7, how does Maldoror react to the spider's nightly visits?
9. What happened when Maldoror fell asleep on the cliff in Book IV, Stanza 6?
10. How are the beetle and the man-pelican related?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)