|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book IV, Stanza 7, why does the man have webbed hands and feet?
(a) Because he sinned.
(b) So he can live at sea.
(c) He was born that way.
(d) He was part of an experiment.
2. In Book IV, Stanza 4, what does Maldoror say did not kill him?
(a) Being stabbed.
(c) Old age.
3. Why does Maldoror think he is the only person who can see the man with webbed feet?
(a) Because he often makes up characters.
(b) Because the man says he is a devil.
(c) Because no one else notices him.
(d) Because the man says he is an angel.
4. When the two boys crawl out of the spider's pocket in Book V, Stanza 7, what are they holding?
(a) Short knives.
(b) Bows and arrows.
(c) Flaming swords.
5. What does Mervyn do when he reaches home in Book IV, Stanza 3?
(a) Collapses on the couch.
(b) Locks the door.
(c) Hugs his mother.
(d) Asks about dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maldoror believe the man stole his eyes from a woman?
2. Why does Maldoror say he has tried to erase the memory of his dream from Book IV, Stanza 6?
3. Who does Maldoror leave the man in the gallows under the care of?
4. In Book IV, Stanza 2, what problem does Maldoror run into?
5. In Book V, Stanza 6, how do the child's family members define Maldoror?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maldoror compare himself to the man with stolen eyes in Book IV, Stanza 5?
2. In Book V, Stanza 3, how does the narrator describe people's relationship to death?
3. In Book VI, Stanza 4, what does Maldoror learn from listening in at Mervyn's door?
4. What does the narrator reflect on in Book IV, Stanza 1?
5. Why does Maldoror remember being angry with Falmer?
6. Why does Maldoror always remember Falmer?
7. What happens when Maldoror first sees Mervyn?
8. What introduction to Book V does the narrator give?
9. How are the beetle and the man-pelican related?
10. What happens when Maldoror sees the man hanging from the gallows?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)