|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Stanza 11, what does Maldoror do when the angel appears?
(a) He licks the angel's face.
(b) He throws a rock at the angel.
(c) He smacks the angel.
(d) He throws a lamp at the angel.
2. What does Maldoror say happened when he decided to not kill the embodiment of Prostitution?
(a) He found trust.
(b) He saved his soul.
(c) He rejected all virtue.
(d) He lost his family.
3. Why does Maldoror say he had a hard time learning to communicate as a child?
(a) He was shy.
(b) His tongue was too large.
(c) His parents rarely talked.
(d) He was born deaf.
4. What does Maldoror beg the toad for in Book I, Stanza 13?
(a) For fame.
(b) To leave with him.
(c) For insight into the future.
(d) To be left alone.
5. Why does the toad say he hates Maldoror?
(a) Because he is evil.
(b) Because he is human.
(c) Because of his voice.
(d) Because of his pride.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Stanza 4, what does the narrator say about the purpose of this poem?
2. Where does the narrator say people have reported seeing a winged lamp flying?
3. Why does Maldoror strangle the child in Book I, Stanza 11?
4. Why does Maldoror say he continued to pray as a child in Book II, Stanza 12?
5. What does Maldoror beg God for in Book I, Stanza 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maldoror do when the bulldog he sends to kill the mad woman's daughter doesn't kill her?
2. In Book III, Stanza 3, what does Tremdall witness?
3. How was Maldoror's childhood deafness cured?
4. What does the grave digger tell Maldoror about mortality?
5. In Book II, what happens to the narrator when he tries to write?
6. At the end of Book II, what does the narrator say his poem might cause?
7. In Book 1, Stanza 8, why does Maldoror say he is like dogs?
8. What happens to Maldoror when he realizes he was born evil?
9. What happens when Maldoror addresses the lamp hanging in a cathedral?
10. What does Maldoror do after watching the family eat dinner in Book I, Stanza 11?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)