|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grave-digger say happens every night at the cemetery?
(a) Someone falls in a grave.
(b) The corpses rise for air.
(c) The wind whispers prayers.
(d) Animals howl.
2. Why does Maldoror recommend taking a child to the hospital in Book I, Chapter 6?
(a) Because it's easier than doing it yourself.
(b) In order to do the right thing.
(c) So society will applaud.
(d) So professionals can deal with them.
3. Why does the grave-digger first say he can't speak with Maldoror?
(a) Because Maldoror is evil.
(b) Because he is off duty.
(c) Because he has serious work.
(d) Because he doesn't speak with other people.
4. In Book I, Stanza 7, what form does Prostitution take?
(a) That of a man.
(b) That of a woman.
(c) That of an animal.
(d) That of an insect.
5. What happens when the street-child chases after the horse-drawn bus?
(a) He jumps aboard.
(b) He is attacked.
(c) He falls down.
(d) He begins to cry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maldoror send away the beautiful girl in Book II, Stanza 13?
2. With what does the narrator begin this poem?
3. Why does Maldoror strangle the child in Book I, Stanza 11?
4. In Book III, Stanza 5, what greets Maldoror at the door of the brothel?
5. In Book II, Stanza 11, what does Maldoror do when the angel appears?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the grave-digger asks Maldoror about his life?
2. How does Maldoror react to the sharks who swarm the capsized ship in Book II, Stanza 13?
3. What happens to Maldoror when he realizes he was born evil?
4. In Book III, Stanza 5, how does God describe His experience in the brothel?
5. Why does Maldoror tell men to stop worshiping an insect god?
6. In Book II, what happens to the narrator when he tries to write?
7. What does the grave digger tell Maldoror about mortality?
8. What does the narrator say in Book I, Stanza 14?
9. In Book II, Stanza 12, what does Maldoror say about praying as a child?
10. Why does Maldoror praise mathematics in Book II, Stanza 10?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)