|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Stanza 11, when does Maldoror return to speak to the child?
(a) When the child goes outside.
(b) After the family goes to sleep.
(c) When the family is praying.
(d) During breakfast.
2. In Book II, Stanza 3, what does Maldoror want God to reveal?
(b) The mysteries of existence.
(c) Human kindness.
(d) A new savior.
3. What did Maldoror do when the bulldog did not kill the mad woman's daughter.
(a) He yelled at the dog.
(b) He killed the dog.
(c) He stabbed the dog.
(d) He made the dog go back.
4. Where does the hermaphrodite live?
(a) In a flowery grove.
(b) In a cave.
(c) In a tall apartment building.
(d) In a cottage.
5. Why did the bulldog Maldoror sent to kill the mad woman's daughter not kill the girl?
(a) Because he thought he had the wrong house.
(b) Because she was so young.
(c) Because she was innocent.
(d) Because she was already badly injured.
6. What does the family in Book I, Stanza 11 hear after Maldoror watches them eat?
(b) Banging sounds.
7. Why does Maldoror say he continued to pray as a child in Book II, Stanza 12?
(a) He had nothing else to do.
(b) He wanted goodness.
(c) His parents made him.
(d) He wanted it to be true.
8. How does Maldoror define the suffering God creates in Book II, Stanza 3?
(c) Natural disasters.
(d) Humanity itself.
9. What does Maldoror love most about math?
(a) How boring it is.
(b) How advanced it is.
(c) How difficult it is.
(d) How orderly it is.
10. In Book II, Stanza 13, who does Maldoror find that he feels is just like him?
(a) An old captain.
(b) A 16 year old.
(c) A shark.
(d) A wolf.
11. Why does Maldoror symbolically to heaven in the form of an octopus?
(a) To prove something to mankind.
(b) To show how superior the ocean is.
(c) To confront God.
(d) To frighten the angels.
12. In Book II, Stanza 11, what does Maldoror do when the angel appears?
(a) He throws a rock at the angel.
(b) He smacks the angel.
(c) He licks the angel's face.
(d) He throws a lamp at the angel.
13. Why does Maldoror recommend taking a child to the hospital in Book I, Chapter 6?
(a) In order to do the right thing.
(b) So society will applaud.
(c) Because it's easier than doing it yourself.
(d) So professionals can deal with them.
14. At the end of Book III, what does Maldoror throw away?
(a) A knife.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A sword.
(d) A watch.
15. Why does Maldoror say he had a hard time learning to communicate as a child?
(a) His parents rarely talked.
(b) He was born deaf.
(c) He was shy.
(d) His tongue was too large.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Stanza 4, what does the narrator say about the purpose of this poem?
2. With what does the narrator begin this poem?
3. In Book II, Stanza 13, how does Maldoror know the man he meets is good?
4. What does Mario say when Maldoror asks about his sadness in Book III, Stanza 1?
5. Where does the narrator say people have reported seeing a winged lamp flying?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)