|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maldoror say happened when he decided to not kill the embodiment of Prostitution?
(a) He found trust.
(b) He saved his soul.
(c) He rejected all virtue.
(d) He lost his family.
2. Why does the grave-digger first say he can't speak with Maldoror?
(a) Because Maldoror is evil.
(b) Because he doesn't speak with other people.
(c) Because he has serious work.
(d) Because he is off duty.
3. What does the narrator say to do at the end of Book I, Stanza 1?
(a) Close the book.
(b) Read out loud.
(c) Take a break.
(d) Skip every other poem.
4. In Book I, Stanza 4, the narrator says all men feel what?
5. Why does Maldoror say nature will wonder at his existence when he dies?
(a) Because he always respects nature.
(b) Because he violates its laws.
(c) Because he will change death.
(d) Because he will be so old.
6. What does Maldoror beg God for in Book I, Stanza 5?
(a) To free him from evil.
(b) To save his soul.
(c) To show him one good man.
(d) To send him a true love.
7. To what does the grave-digger say his occupation is tied?
(a) Nothing, it's meaningless work.
(b) Analysis of pain.
(c) Sadness and fear.
(d) Questions of mortality.
8. In Book I, Stanza 4, what does the narrator say about the purpose of this poem?
(a) To help people define evil.
(b) To help the evil repent.
(c) To show the importance of birth parents.
(d) To show the delights of cruelty.
9. What does Mario say when Maldoror asks about his sadness in Book III, Stanza 1?
(a) He says he is tormented.
(b) He says he is fine.
(c) He says he is uncertain.
(d) He says he is weary.
10. In Book II, Stanza 2, how does the narrator describe God's treatment?
11. In Book II, Stanza 13, who does Maldoror find that he feels is just like him?
(a) A 16 year old.
(b) A shark.
(c) An old captain.
(d) A wolf.
12. What does Maldoror say he promised Holzer?
(a) To never commit suicide.
(b) To never covet a woman.
(c) To never commit murder.
(d) To never steal.
13. In Book III, Stanza 1, who does the fisherman think Maldoror and Mario are?
14. In Book III, Stanza 5, who attacks the prostitute?
(a) A snake.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A demon.
15. In Book II, Stanza 5, what does Maldoror remember the little girl asking him?
(a) For help.
(b) About his life.
(c) For the time.
(d) If she could come with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maldoror save the drowning man in Book II, Stanza 14?
2. What does the grave-digger promise to do if Maldoror stays at his house?
3. In Book II, Stanza 1, what does the narrator say Maldoror is for the reader?
4. Why does Maldoror say he had a hard time learning to communicate as a child?
5. What does Maldoror love most about math?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)