|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maldoror say he promised Holzer?
(a) To never covet a woman.
(b) To never commit suicide.
(c) To never commit murder.
(d) To never steal.
2. In Book II, Stanza 11, why does Maldoror throw a rock at a lamp?
(a) Because it is in his way.
(b) Because someone asks him to.
(c) Because it looks like God.
(d) Because it doesn't answer him.
3. After Maldoror watches the family eating dinner, what does the family feel?
(a) A breeze, even though the window is shut.
(b) A shadow pass over them.
(c) A chill spread through the room.
(d) A wave of heat.
4. When God passes out on earth, how do the animals react?
(a) The ignore him.
(b) They bow down to him.
(c) They curse him.
(d) They kick him.
5. In Book I, Stanza 8, to what animal does Maldoror liken himself?
6. What does the toad say Maldoror should do if he is so smart?
(b) Write a book.
(c) Leave earth.
(d) Travel to Europe.
7. How does Maldoror describe the talking toad he meets in Book I, Stanza 13?
8. In Book III, Stanza 1, who does the fisherman think Maldoror and Mario are?
9. Why does Maldoror symbolically to heaven in the form of an octopus?
(a) To prove something to mankind.
(b) To frighten the angels.
(c) To confront God.
(d) To show how superior the ocean is.
10. Where is Tremdall when he sees Maldoror in Book III, Stanza 3?
(a) A mountain.
(b) Near a river.
(c) At church.
(d) In town.
11. Why does the narrator decide to stop writing Book II?
(a) He is afraid of Maldoror.
(b) He wants a break.
(c) The story is over.
(d) He is traveling abroad.
12. Why does Maldoror suggest that the reader grow his/her fingernails out?
(a) To scratch a child.
(b) To tap on things.
(c) To see how long it takes.
(d) To scare people.
13. What does Maldoror beg the toad for in Book I, Stanza 13?
(a) For insight into the future.
(b) To leave with him.
(c) For fame.
(d) To be left alone.
14. In Book II, Stanza 13, how does Maldoror know the man he meets is good?
(a) People smile when they see him.
(b) The sun always shines on him.
(c) Flowers sprout up around him.
(d) Birds sing around him.
15. In Book III, Stanza 2, how does the narrator discover the mad woman's secret?
(a) She confesses it to him one night.
(b) He listens in at her door.
(c) He picks up a piece of paper she dropped.
(d) He hears rumors.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Maldoror born?
2. What happens to the victims of the capsized ship in Book II, Stanza 13?
3. What does the grave-digger promise to do if Maldoror stays at his house?
4. What does the narrator say the reader must read these poems with?
5. Where does the hermaphrodite live?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)