|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maldoror beg the toad for in Book I, Stanza 13?
(a) To be left alone.
(b) To leave with him.
(c) For insight into the future.
(d) For fame.
2. In Book II, Stanza 3, what does Maldoror want God to reveal?
(a) Human kindness.
(c) A new savior.
(d) The mysteries of existence.
3. What did Maldoror do to the mad woman's daughter before sending a bulldog to kill the girl?
(a) He raped her.
(b) He stabbed her.
(c) He tied her up.
(d) He strangled her.
4. Who does the narrator learn was witness to everything Maldoror did to the mad woman and her daughter?
(a) A shepherd.
(b) A priest.
(c) A policeman.
(d) No one.
5. What does Maldoror say happens to people who keep insects as pets?
(a) It sends the wrong message to women.
(b) It wastes their money.
(c) It holds them back.
(d) It smells bad.
6. What does Maldoror say he has no hope for after his death?
7. What happens when the street-child chases after the horse-drawn bus?
(a) He is attacked.
(b) He begins to cry.
(c) He falls down.
(d) He jumps aboard.
8. What does God threaten Maldoror with in Book III, Stanza 5?
(a) His power.
(b) His fist.
(c) His claws.
(d) His wrath.
9. How does Maldoror describe the talking toad he meets in Book I, Stanza 13?
10. In Book II, Stanza 9, why does Maldoror say some men keep insects as pets?
(a) To eat them.
(b) To avoid old age.
(c) Because they are cheap.
(d) To feed other animals.
11. Why does Maldoror send away the beautiful girl in Book II, Stanza 13?
(a) She isn't interesting.
(b) He is bored by her.
(c) She says she loves God.
(d) He fears she is good.
12. In Book I, Stanza 7, what form does Prostitution take?
(a) That of a man.
(b) That of a woman.
(c) That of an insect.
(d) That of an animal.
13. What happens to the victims of the capsized ship in Book II, Stanza 13?
(a) The ocean turns black with hate.
(b) Waves sweep them away.
(c) Maldoror swims after them.
(d) Sharks attack them.
14. What does the narrator say to do at the end of Book I, Stanza 1?
(a) Take a break.
(b) Skip every other poem.
(c) Close the book.
(d) Read out loud.
15. In Book III, Stanza 2, how does the narrator discover the mad woman's secret?
(a) He listens in at her door.
(b) She confesses it to him one night.
(c) He picks up a piece of paper she dropped.
(d) He hears rumors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maldoror say mathematics has done for him?
2. When God passes out on earth, how do the animals react?
3. In Book I, Stanza 8, to what animal does Maldoror liken himself?
4. With what does the narrator begin this poem?
5. In Book II, Stanza 5, what does Maldoror remember the little girl asking him?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)