|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does this final chapter outline?
2. From where does Malcolm want his organization to enlist support?
3. How many pages of a dictionary does Malcolm copy per day?
4. Who does Malcolm think that the Asian man is in his dream?
5. Which city did Malcolm move to after his release from prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Sixties and Fifties Harlem different from Harlem today? Why did Harlem become such a hotbed of political activism and a haven for musicians? Was it the same in any other black ghetto areas in other states or is Harlem unique? Do they think the political activism is a direct influence of living in such international city as New York?
Essay Topic 2
How much do you think Malcolm X changed positive representations of African American culture? Is Malcolm's influence still felt today? Are there books, music or even celebrities that derive from Malcolm X's beliefs? What positive impact have Malcolm X's ideas had on society? Do you think Malcolm's ideas have had any negative impacts upon society?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way both Malcolm and Alex Haley use the other people in the story to express Malcolm's ideas.
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)