|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malcolm claim are the positive aspects of the Nation of Islam?
2. What is the name of the newspaper Malcolm starts?
3. With what does Malcolm replace his surname?
4. What is Malcolm's argument against the Civil Rights movement
5. What does Malcolm say God removed from the white Muslims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Haley was also an African American whose family suffered slavery and racism. Adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know, do you think it is obvious that Haley knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Haley does not portray a person or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the differences between Islam and Christianity. What are the strengths and weaknesses of both religions? How much do people in America know about the Islamic religion compared to Christianity? Do the students think that we need to understand other religions before we criticize them? Has this been a problem in the past?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1960s.
1) Why did Afro American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does today's society share any values with 1960s America?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)