|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Malcolm, what have blacks been brainwashed to worship?
2. To what does Malcolm dedicate each day?
3. What continent does Malcolm visit after his pilgrimage?
4. What does Malcolm tell Muhammad he is discontented with about the Nation of Islam?
5. Who writes the final chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book to support your argument, examine the following statement: "The Civil Rights movement had more of a lasting influence than the Nation of Islam."
Essay Topic 2
Look at black masculinity. Does the oppression of Malcolm's black male identity contribute to his criminal activities? In what ways can the expression of masculine identity be a positive thing and in what ways can it be negative? What do you think it means to be black and male today?
Essay Topic 3
At one point the book uses Boston as a setting.
1) What meaning does Boston bring to the book? What would you automatically link with someone who grew up in Boston?
2) How different do you think today's Boston is to the Boston in the book? How do you think the book's meaning would change if it were set in today's Boston?
3) How do you think the setting contributes to the book's humor?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)