|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year is Malcolm released from prison?
2. Who does Malcolm live with in Detroit?
3. With what other Afro-American organization does Malcolm claim to have differences?
4. What happens to Reginald after he is rejected from the Nation?
5. Which Greek myth does Malcolm recall in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point the book uses Boston as a setting.
1) What meaning does Boston bring to the book? What would you automatically link with someone who grew up in Boston?
2) How different do you think today's Boston is to the Boston in the book? How do you think the book's meaning would change if it were set in today's Boston?
3) How do you think the setting contributes to the book's humor?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "Malcolm X uses the autobiography to market his image rather than his ideas." Use two examples from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Malcolm X and Elijah Muhammad.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why do you think they cannot sort out their differences?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)