|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pages of a dictionary does Malcolm copy per day?
2. Who does Malcolm think that the Asian man is in his dream?
3. Where does Muhammad send Malcolm to build a temple?
4. In what year does this chapter open?
5. Which magazine named the book as one of the top ten nonfiction books of the 20th century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the differences between Islam and Christianity. What are the strengths and weaknesses of both religions? How much do people in America know about the Islamic religion compared to Christianity? Do the students think that we need to understand other religions before we criticize them? Has this been a problem in the past?
Essay Topic 2
Why did the slaves have their names changed upon arriving in America? What effect did it have on their families' identities?
Essay Topic 3
Look at black masculinity. Does the oppression of Malcolm's black male identity contribute to his criminal activities? In what ways can the expression of masculine identity be a positive thing and in what ways can it be negative? What do you think it means to be black and male today?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)