|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Greek myth does Malcolm recall in this chapter?
2. What kind of personality does Haley state that Malcolm has?
3. How does Sammy die?
4. With which old friend does Malcolm reunite in Boston?
5. To what does Malcolm dedicate each day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at black masculinity. Does the oppression of Malcolm's black male identity contribute to his criminal activities? In what ways can the expression of masculine identity be a positive thing and in what ways can it be negative? What do you think it means to be black and male today?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way both Malcolm and Alex Haley use the other people in the story to express Malcolm's ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1960s.
1) Why did Afro American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does today's society share any values with 1960s America?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)