|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year is Malcolm released from prison?
2. Who does Malcolm begin a correspondence with in this chapter?
3. Who did Malcolm always credit in his press conferences?
4. What happens to Reginald after he is rejected from the Nation?
5. What prediction does Malcolm make in this final chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think are the problems with the way Malcolm represents Muhammad in the book? What do you think Muhammad would say about Malcolm? Does this subjectivity highlight the problem with reliability of autobiographies?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
Look at black masculinity. Does the oppression of Malcolm's black male identity contribute to his criminal activities? In what ways can the expression of masculine identity be a positive thing and in what ways can it be negative? What do you think it means to be black and male today?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)