|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Haley say he tried to be when he wrote Malcolm's autobiography?
2. Who edits Malcolm's autobiography?
3. With what other Afro-American organization does Malcolm claim to have differences?
4. What continent does Malcolm visit after his pilgrimage?
5. What happens to Reginald after he is rejected from the Nation?
Essay Topic 1
At one point the book uses Boston as a setting.
1) What meaning does Boston bring to the book? What would you automatically link with someone who grew up in Boston?
2) How different do you think today's Boston is to the Boston in the book? How do you think the book's meaning would change if it were set in today's Boston?
3) How do you think the setting contributes to the book's humor?
Essay Topic 2
Haley was also an African American whose family suffered slavery and racism. Adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know, do you think it is obvious that Haley knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Haley does not portray a person or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students, discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)