|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which area of New York does Malcolm discover during his train rides?
2. What does Malcolm say Bimbi uses to command respect?
3. Whose word does Malcolm's father spread?
4. Which of the following characters is not a member of Malcolm's Boston gang?
5. What area of the city does Malcolm claim he prefers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Malcolm's job with the madam?
2. In what way are Malcolm's problems getting worse in Chapter 8?
3. In what way is Malcolm disillusioned with life in Chapter 8?
4. Why does Malcolm regret trying to change his hair into a conk style?
5. In what way does Malcolm go about helping to change the Nation of Islam in Chapter 12?
6. In what way does Harlem educate Malcolm in the inequalities facing black Americans?
7. Why does Malcolm think hustling is preferable to a normal, straight life?
8. How do the whites react to Malcolm having a relationship with a white woman?
9. Describe what Malcolm calls the turning point in his life.
10. Why is Malcolm disappointed in the media's coverage of the Nation of Islam?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1960s.
1) Why did Afro American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does today's society share any values with 1960s America?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the differences between Islam and Christianity. What are the strengths and weaknesses of both religions? How much do people in America know about the Islamic religion compared to Christianity? Do the students think that we need to understand other religions before we criticize them? Has this been a problem in the past?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think are the problems with the way Malcolm represents Muhammad in the book? What do you think Muhammad would say about Malcolm? Does this subjectivity highlight the problem with reliability of autobiographies?
This section contains 1,728 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)