|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Malcolm get fired from his job on the railway?
2. What does Malcolm inherit from his mother?
3. What happens to Malcolm and his siblings?
4. What does Malcolm use to travel for free?
5. What does Malcolm know will happen if he continues in illegal activity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Harlem while Malcolm is living there.
2. What does Malcolm learn while he is in Africa?
3. What does Malcolm learn about skin color during his pilgrimage?
4. What does Malcolm learn when he moves to Boston?
5. Why did prison prove to be a good thing for Malcolm?
6. What does Malcolm learn about skin color from a young age?
7. In ways does Malcom learn that thing are not always as they appear?
8. In what way does Malcolm go about helping to change the Nation of Islam in Chapter 12?
9. In what way is Malcolm disillusioned with life in Chapter 8?
10. Summarize Chapter 7
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students, discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think are the problems with the way Malcolm represents Muhammad in the book? What do you think Muhammad would say about Malcolm? Does this subjectivity highlight the problem with reliability of autobiographies?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Malcolm X and Elijah Muhammad.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why do you think they cannot sort out their differences?
This section contains 1,720 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)