|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malcolm carry to protect himself?
2. Who was waiting at the jeweler's?
3. Who visits Malcolm X's mother while she is pregnant with him?
4. How old is Malcolm when he is sentenced for robbery?
5. What does Malcolm say black men are trying to look like with their conk hairstyles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Malcolm avoid the draft?
2. Describe what Malcolm does when he meets a white woman in Chapter 4.
3. How does Malcolm deal with the rumors that Muhammad has been engaging in immoral activity?
4. What doe Malcolm learn about whites in Chapter 17?
5. In what way does Malcolm appreciate his difficult upbringing?
6. Describe how Malcolm begins to make a name for himself.
7. How did Malcolm feel the press are trying to divide the black community?
8. What does Alex Haley write in this chapter,written after Malcolm's death?
9. How does Malcolm react to the idea he could be assassinated?
10. How does Malcolm's trip to Boston change him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point the book uses Boston as a setting.
1) What meaning does Boston bring to the book? What would you automatically link with someone who grew up in Boston?
2) How different do you think today's Boston is to the Boston in the book? How do you think the book's meaning would change if it were set in today's Boston?
3) How do you think the setting contributes to the book's humor?
Essay Topic 2
Why did the slaves have their names changed upon arriving in America? What effect did it have on their families' identities?
Essay Topic 3
Examine racism in America. How has it changed? How much do the students think Malcolm X was responsible for this change? Do you think racism still exists? How can we rid the world of racism? How long would it take?
This section contains 1,689 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)