|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only person in Harlem that Malcolm says he trusts?
2. What does Malcolm say Hymie is involved in?
3. Where does Malcolm's sister live?
4. How many times is Malcolm questioned on local robberies?
5. What is the title of this first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Malcolm appreciative of the two incidents in this chapter- the trip to Boston and the teacher's unfair treatment of him?
2. Describe Malcolm's parents.
3. What does Malcolm learn about skin color during his pilgrimage?
4. Summarize Chapter 7
5. What does Malcolm do when detectives began trailing him?
6. Describe Harlem while Malcolm is living there.
7. What does Malcolm state are the differences in the concept of love between Western religions and Islam?
8. Why does Malcolm think hustling is preferable to a normal, straight life?
9. How does Malcolm feel about the way he treats Laura in Chapter 3?
10. In what way is Malcolm a good student?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Malcolm X and Elijah Muhammad.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why do you think they cannot sort out their differences?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the differences between Islam and Christianity. What are the strengths and weaknesses of both religions? How much do people in America know about the Islamic religion compared to Christianity? Do the students think that we need to understand other religions before we criticize them? Has this been a problem in the past?
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book to support your argument, examine the following statement: "The Civil Rights movement had more of a lasting influence than the Nation of Islam."
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)