Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Malcolm bribe the guards?
2. Which member of the gang starts to make serious mistakes?
3. What does Malcolm sell to the customers on the train?
4. Where does Malcolm work after the shoeshine job?
5. What does Malcolm's mother attempt to get in order to support her children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Malcolm state are the differences in the concept of love between Western religions and Islam?
2. Why is Malcolm given the nickname Satan?
3. How would Malcolm turn around his life?
4. Why do you think Malcolm is so shocked at the Nation's action against him?
5. Why did prison prove to be a good thing for Malcolm?
6. In what way does Harlem educate Malcolm in the inequalities facing black Americans?
7. Describe Malcolm's reunion with Archie.
8. What does Malcolm learn while he is in Africa?
9. What does Alex Haley write in this chapter,written after Malcolm's death?
10. Describe what Malcolm does when he meets a white woman in Chapter 4.
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way both Malcolm and Alex Haley use the other people in the story to express Malcolm's ideas.
Essay Topic 2
What are the advantages of legalizing drugs? What are the disadvantages? Are drugs a problem in other countries? Why do some countries cope with the drug problem better than others?
Essay Topic 3
Why did the slaves have their names changed upon arriving in America? What effect did it have on their families' identities?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)