|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the first people to settle in Harlem?
2. What do Laura and Malcolm make a date to do?
3. How many times is Malcolm questioned on local robberies?
4. What does Malcolm take to stop feeling nervous whilse robbing people's houses?
5. How is Malcolm's father killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Malcolm regret trying to change his hair into a conk style?
2. How does Malcolm avoid the draft?
3. How does Malcolm react to the idea he could be assassinated?
4. Describe Laura.
5. Briefly describe the history of Harlem outlined in this chapter.
6. What does Malcolm learn when he moves to Boston?
7. Describe Malcolm's press conference in Chapter 18.
8. Describe Malcolm's reunion with Archie.
9. How are Malcolm and his gang able to get into the houses to rob them?
10. In what way does Harlem educate Malcolm in the inequalities facing black Americans?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
Examine racism in America. How has it changed? How much do the students think Malcolm X was responsible for this change? Do you think racism still exists? How can we rid the world of racism? How long would it take?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the differences between Islam and Christianity. What are the strengths and weaknesses of both religions? How much do people in America know about the Islamic religion compared to Christianity? Do the students think that we need to understand other religions before we criticize them? Has this been a problem in the past?
This section contains 1,663 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)