|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arranges for official custody of Malcolm at the end of this chapter?
2. Who were the first people to settle in Harlem?
3. Who does Malcolm say Sophia has now married?
4. What does Malcolm start selling in this chapter?
5. Why did Malcolm get fired from his job on the railway?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Malcolm's reunion with Archie.
2. What is the main thing Malcolm says he gets out of dating a white woman?
3. How would Malcolm turn around his life?
4. How does Malcolm deal with the rumors that Muhammad has been engaging in immoral activity?
5. Why does Malcolm think hustling is preferable to a normal, straight life?
6. What happens when Archie and Malcolm finally encounter each other?
7. Describe this final chapter.
8. Why is Malcolm disappointed in the media's coverage of the Nation of Islam?
9. In what way did Malcolm's prison education mold his later ideas?
10. In what way does Malcolm appreciate his difficult upbringing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students, discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
Essay Topic 2
How much do you think Malcolm X changed positive representations of African American culture? Is Malcolm's influence still felt today? Are there books, music or even celebrities that derive from Malcolm X's beliefs? What positive impact have Malcolm X's ideas had on society? Do you think Malcolm's ideas have had any negative impacts upon society?
Essay Topic 3
At one point the book uses Boston as a setting.
1) What meaning does Boston bring to the book? What would you automatically link with someone who grew up in Boston?
2) How different do you think today's Boston is to the Boston in the book? How do you think the book's meaning would change if it were set in today's Boston?
3) How do you think the setting contributes to the book's humor?
This section contains 1,702 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)