|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which area of New York does Malcolm discover during his train rides?
2. What used to attract white people to Harlem?
3. What does Malcolm use to visit his home town?
4. Which musician does Malcolm see in this chapter?
5. What is the name of Malcolm's well-read cellmate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Malcolm's press conference in Chapter 18.
2. How does Malcolm feel about the way he treats Laura in Chapter 3?
3. What does Alex Haley write in this chapter,written after Malcolm's death?
4. Why does Malcolm change his surname from Small to X?
5. In what way is Malcolm a good student?
6. How are Malcolm and his gang able to get into the houses to rob them?
7. In what way does Harlem educate Malcolm in the inequalities facing black Americans?
8. Why doe Malcolm initially think that it is a good idea to give up cigarettes in prison?
9. In what way did Malcolm's prison education mold his later ideas?
10. What doe Malcolm learn about whites in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Islam? How are its teachings different from Christianity? Why did Malcolm identify so much with Islam? Why do the teachings of Islam and the teachings of Christianity seem to clash? Is it just to do with religion?
Essay Topic 2
Examine racism in America. How has it changed? How much do the students think Malcolm X was responsible for this change? Do you think racism still exists? How can we rid the world of racism? How long would it take?
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book to support your argument, examine the following statement: "The Civil Rights movement had more of a lasting influence than the Nation of Islam."
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)