|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose word does Malcolm's father spread?
2. What is the name of Malcolm's favorite dance?
3. What is the name of the man Malcolm befriends in this chapter?
4. What does Malcolm sell to the customers on the train?
5. Who were the first people to settle in Harlem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Malcolm decide to take a course in English?
2. What doe Malcolm learn about whites in Chapter 17?
3. What does Malcolm learn while he is in Africa?
4. How does Malcolm avoid the draft?
5. Describe Laura.
6. Why does Malcolm think hustling is preferable to a normal, straight life?
7. How did Malcolm feel the press are trying to divide the black community?
8. Why is Malcolm appreciative of the two incidents in this chapter- the trip to Boston and the teacher's unfair treatment of him?
9. Why does Malcolm regret trying to change his hair into a conk style?
10. Describe West Indian Archie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the Nation of Islam in the Sixties. What were people's views on the Nation of Islam? Was there any Nation of Islam literature?How was Nation of Islam presented in popular culture? Has this representation affected the way people think about the Nation of Islam today?
Essay Topic 2
At one point the book uses Boston as a setting.
1) What meaning does Boston bring to the book? What would you automatically link with someone who grew up in Boston?
2) How different do you think today's Boston is to the Boston in the book? How do you think the book's meaning would change if it were set in today's Boston?
3) How do you think the setting contributes to the book's humor?
Essay Topic 3
How was Sixties and Fifties Harlem different from Harlem today? Why did Harlem become such a hotbed of political activism and a haven for musicians? Was it the same in any other black ghetto areas in other states or is Harlem unique? Do they think the political activism is a direct influence of living in such international city as New York?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)