Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Malcolm bribe the guards?
2. Which member of the gang starts to make serious mistakes?
3. What does Malcolm sell to the customers on the train?
4. Where does Malcolm work after the shoeshine job?
5. What does Malcolm's mother attempt to get in order to support her children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Malcolm state are the differences in the concept of love between Western religions and Islam?
2. Why is Malcolm given the nickname Satan?
3. How would Malcolm turn around his life?
4. Why do you think Malcolm is so shocked at the Nation's action against him?
5. Why did prison prove to be a good thing for Malcolm?
6. In what way does Harlem educate Malcolm in the inequalities facing black Americans?
7. Describe Malcolm's reunion with Archie.
8. What does Malcolm learn while he is in Africa?
9. What does Alex Haley write in this chapter,written after Malcolm's death?
10. Describe what Malcolm does when he meets a white woman in Chapter 4.
Look at black masculinity. Does the oppression of Malcolm's black male identity contribute to his criminal activities? In what ways can the expression of masculine identity be a positive thing and in what ways can it be negative? What do you think it means to be black and male today?
What are the advantages of legalizing drugs? What are the disadvantages? Are drugs a problem in other countries? Why do some countries cope with the drug problem better than others?
Look at Spike Lee's adaptation of the book. Is it how the students would visualize the book? Do the students think the film is objective? What new meaning do the students think that Denzel Washington and Spike Lee bring to the work? How different do the students think the film would be if it were directed by a white director or starred, for example, Samuel Lee Jackson?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)