|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who approaches Malcolm while he is watching Billie Holliday?
2. What does Malcolm have to use for a toilet in his cell?
3. Who does Laura lie to in order to make the date with Malcolm?
4. How far is the detention home from Lansing?
5. Who visits Malcolm X's mother while she is pregnant with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Malcolm begins to make a name for himself.
2. What does Malcolm find African American life like in Chapter 2?
3. How does Malcolm's trip to Boston change him?
4. Why is it difficult for Haley to be a dispassionate chronicler of Malcolm's life?
5. Describe Malcolm's job with the madam?
6. How does Malcolm feel about the way he treats Laura in Chapter 3?
7. Why is Malcolm appreciative of the two incidents in this chapter- the trip to Boston and the teacher's unfair treatment of him?
8. Why does Malcolm regret trying to change his hair into a conk style?
9. In what way does Malcolm go about helping to change the Nation of Islam in Chapter 12?
10. How are Malcolm and his gang able to get into the houses to rob them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students, discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "Malcolm X uses the autobiography to market his image rather than his ideas." Use two examples from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Why did the slaves have their names changed upon arriving in America? What effect did it have on their families' identities?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)