|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of the gang starts to make serious mistakes?
2. What kind of school did Malcolm have to attend while at the Gohannas?
3. What does Malcolm say Laura turns to when he stops seeing her?
4. What does Malcolm do with Laura when he meets Sophia?
5. What does Sophia's friend do later that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Malcolm disappointed in the media's coverage of the Nation of Islam?
2. Describe Malcolm's parents.
3. What does Malcolm learn about skin color during his pilgrimage?
4. Briefly describe the history of Harlem outlined in this chapter.
5. Describe Malcolm's visit home in Chapter 5.
6. What does Malcolm learn while he is in Africa?
7. Describe Malcolm's reunion with Archie.
8. Why is Malcolm appreciative of the two incidents in this chapter- the trip to Boston and the teacher's unfair treatment of him?
9. What doe Malcolm learn about whites in Chapter 17?
10. How are Malcolm and his gang able to get into the houses to rob them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the differences between Islam and Christianity. What are the strengths and weaknesses of both religions? How much do people in America know about the Islamic religion compared to Christianity? Do the students think that we need to understand other religions before we criticize them? Has this been a problem in the past?
Essay Topic 2
Haley was also an African American whose family suffered slavery and racism. Adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know, do you think it is obvious that Haley knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Haley does not portray a person or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think are the problems with the way Malcolm represents Muhammad in the book? What do you think Muhammad would say about Malcolm? Does this subjectivity highlight the problem with reliability of autobiographies?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)