|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malcolm receive a lesson on in Harlem?
2. For what does Malcolm bribe the guards?
3. What does Malcolm inherit from his mother?
4. What does Malcolm know will happen if he continues in illegal activity?
5. Who does Malcolm impress by dating Sophia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Malcolm begins to make a name for himself.
2. Why is Malcolm given the nickname Satan?
3. Describe what Malcolm calls the turning point in his life.
4. Describe Malcolm's reunion with Archie.
5. What happens when Archie and Malcolm finally encounter each other?
6. In what way is Malcolm a good student?
7. In ways does Malcom learn that thing are not always as they appear?
8. How does Malcolm's trip to Boston change him?
9. Describe Harlem while Malcolm is living there.
10. What does Malcolm learn about skin color during his pilgrimage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students, discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
Essay Topic 2Look at the Nation of Islam in the Sixties. What were people's views on the Nation of Islam? Was there any Nation of Islam literature?How was Nation of Islam presented in popular culture? Has this representation affected the way people think about the Nation of Islam today?
Essay Topic 3What do you think are the problems with the way Malcolm represents Muhammad in the book? What do you think Muhammad would say about Malcolm? Does this subjectivity highlight the problem with reliability of autobiographies?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)