|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Malcolm bribe the guards?
2. Which member of the gang starts to make serious mistakes?
3. What does Malcolm sell to the customers on the train?
4. Where does Malcolm work after the shoeshine job?
5. What does Malcolm's mother attempt to get in order to support her children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Malcolm state are the differences in the concept of love between Western religions and Islam?
2. Why is Malcolm given the nickname Satan?
3. How would Malcolm turn around his life?
4. Why do you think Malcolm is so shocked at the Nation's action against him?
5. Why did prison prove to be a good thing for Malcolm?
6. In what way does Harlem educate Malcolm in the inequalities facing black Americans?
7. Describe Malcolm's reunion with Archie.
8. What does Malcolm learn while he is in Africa?
9. What does Alex Haley write in this chapter,written after Malcolm's death?
10. Describe what Malcolm does when he meets a white woman in Chapter 4.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think are the problems with the way Malcolm represents Muhammad in the book? What do you think Muhammad would say about Malcolm? Does this subjectivity highlight the problem with reliability of autobiographies?
Essay Topic 3
Look at black masculinity. Does the oppression of Malcolm's black male identity contribute to his criminal activities? In what ways can the expression of masculine identity be a positive thing and in what ways can it be negative? What do you think it means to be black and male today?
This section contains 1,632 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)