|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color hair does Sophia have?
2. What does Malcolm's mother attempt to get in order to support her children?
3. Why did Malcolm get fired from his job on the railway?
4. What is Malcolm's hairstyle called?
5. What kind of drug is Malcolm on when he goes over to talk to Sophia in the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Malcolm get started on narcotics?
2. Describe Malcolm's reunion with Archie.
3. How did Malcolm deal with the trouble he has with Archie?
4. How do the whites react to Malcolm having a relationship with a white woman?
5. What does Alex Haley write in this chapter,written after Malcolm's death?
6. What does Malcolm learn about skin color from a young age?
7. Why do you think Malcolm is so shocked at the Nation's action against him?
8. What does Malcolm learn about skin color during his pilgrimage?
9. What do Malcolm's early life experiences teach him?
10. Why doe Malcolm initially think that it is a good idea to give up cigarettes in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1960s.
1) Why did Afro American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does today's society share any values with 1960s America?
Essay Topic 3
At one point the book uses Boston as a setting.
1) What meaning does Boston bring to the book? What would you automatically link with someone who grew up in Boston?
2) How different do you think today's Boston is to the Boston in the book? How do you think the book's meaning would change if it were set in today's Boston?
3) How do you think the setting contributes to the book's humor?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)