|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who runs the detention home to which Malcolm is sent?
2. How far is the detention home from Lansing?
3. What war is Malcolm being drafted into in this chapter?
4. What used to attract white people to Harlem?
5. What is the name of the man Malcolm befriends in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Chapter 6.
2. Describe Malcolm's parents.
3. What are Malcolm's arguments in terms of racism?
4. What happens when Archie and Malcolm finally encounter each other?
5. Describe Harlem while Malcolm is living there.
6. Describe this final chapter.
7. How does Malcolm avoid the draft?
8. In what way does Malcolm go about helping to change the Nation of Islam in Chapter 12?
9. How do the whites react to Malcolm having a relationship with a white woman?
10. In what way is Malcolm disillusioned with life in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think are the problems with the way Malcolm represents Muhammad in the book? What do you think Muhammad would say about Malcolm? Does this subjectivity highlight the problem with reliability of autobiographies?
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book to support your argument, examine the following statement: "The Civil Rights movement had more of a lasting influence than the Nation of Islam."
Essay Topic 3
Why did the slaves have their names changed upon arriving in America? What effect did it have on their families' identities?
This section contains 1,622 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)