|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of school did Malcolm have to attend while at the Gohannas?
2. Who were the first people to settle in Harlem?
3. What does Malcolm say Hymie is involved in?
4. Why do the prisoners call Malcolm Satan?
5. What used to attract white people to Harlem?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Malcolm avoid the draft?
2. In what way does Malcolm go about helping to change the Nation of Islam in Chapter 12?
3. How are Malcolm and his gang able to get into the houses to rob them?
4. Describe how Malcolm begins to make a name for himself.
5. In what way is Malcolm disillusioned with life in Chapter 8?
6. Describe Malcolm's reunion with Archie.
7. Why is it difficult for Haley to be a dispassionate chronicler of Malcolm's life?
8. What does Malcolm learn when he moves to Boston?
9. Why does Malcolm decide to take a course in English?
10. Why does Malcolm think hustling is preferable to a normal, straight life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book to support your argument, examine the following statement: "The Civil Rights movement had more of a lasting influence than the Nation of Islam."
Essay Topic 2
Look at the differences between Islam and Christianity. What are the strengths and weaknesses of both religions? How much do people in America know about the Islamic religion compared to Christianity? Do the students think that we need to understand other religions before we criticize them? Has this been a problem in the past?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think are the problems with the way Malcolm represents Muhammad in the book? What do you think Muhammad would say about Malcolm? Does this subjectivity highlight the problem with reliability of autobiographies?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)