Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Malcolm bribe the guards?
2. Which member of the gang starts to make serious mistakes?
3. What does Malcolm sell to the customers on the train?
4. Where does Malcolm work after the shoeshine job?
5. What does Malcolm's mother attempt to get in order to support her children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Malcolm state are the differences in the concept of love between Western religions and Islam?
2. Why is Malcolm given the nickname Satan?
3. How would Malcolm turn around his life?
4. Why do you think Malcolm is so shocked at the Nation's action against him?
5. Why did prison prove to be a good thing for Malcolm?
6. In what way does Harlem educate Malcolm in the inequalities facing black Americans?
7. Describe Malcolm's reunion with Archie.
8. What does Malcolm learn while he is in Africa?
9. What does Alex Haley write in this chapter,written after Malcolm's death?
10. Describe what Malcolm does when he meets a white woman in Chapter 4.
Essay Topic 1
How much do you think Malcolm X changed positive representations of African American culture? Is Malcolm's influence still felt today? Are there books, music or even celebrities that derive from Malcolm X's beliefs? What positive impact have Malcolm X's ideas had on society? Do you think Malcolm's ideas have had any negative impacts upon society?
Essay Topic 2
What is Islam? How are its teachings different from Christianity? Why did Malcolm identify so much with Islam? Why do the teachings of Islam and the teachings of Christianity seem to clash? Is it just to do with religion?
Essay Topic 3
At one point the book uses Boston as a setting.
1) What meaning does Boston bring to the book? What would you automatically link with someone who grew up in Boston?
2) How different do you think today's Boston is to the Boston in the book? How do you think the book's meaning would change if it were set in today's Boston?
3) How do you think the setting contributes to the book's humor?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)