|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malcolm say he learns from the black community in Boston?
2. What do Laura and Malcolm make a date to do?
3. What later happens to Hymie?
4. Where does Ella find Malcolm a job at the beginning of the chapter?
5. What does Malcolm have to use for a toilet in his cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Malcolm disillusioned with life in Chapter 8?
2. In what way is Malcolm a good student?
3. Describe what Malcolm calls the turning point in his life.
4. Summarize Chapter 7
5. What does Malcolm learn while he is in Africa?
6. Summarize Chapter 6.
7. Why does Malcolm change his surname from Small to X?
8. How does Malcolm avoid the draft?
9. Describe Malcolm's job with the madam?
10. Describe Malcolm's press conference in Chapter 18.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Sixties and Fifties Harlem different from Harlem today? Why did Harlem become such a hotbed of political activism and a haven for musicians? Was it the same in any other black ghetto areas in other states or is Harlem unique? Do they think the political activism is a direct influence of living in such international city as New York?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
Look at Spike Lee's adaptation of the book. Is it how the students would visualize the book? Do the students think the film is objective? What new meaning do the students think that Denzel Washington and Spike Lee bring to the work? How different do the students think the film would be if it were directed by a white director or starred, for example, Samuel Lee Jackson?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)