|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Malcolm impress by dating Sophia?
2. How many siblings does Malcolm X have?
3. What does Malcolm pretend to be to get out of serving in the army?
4. What does Malcolm receive a lesson on in Harlem?
5. In what grade is Malcolm when he visits his sister for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Malcolm a good student?
2. Why does Malcolm think hustling is preferable to a normal, straight life?
3. Describe what Malcolm calls the turning point in his life.
4. Why does Malcolm change his surname from Small to X?
5. Why does Malcolm decide to take a course in English?
6. How does Malcolm feel about the way he treats Laura in Chapter 3?
7. In Chapter 7 how does Malcolm get deeper into illegal activity?
8. Why is Malcolm disappointed in the media's coverage of the Nation of Islam?
9. Describe Malcolm's parents.
10. How did Malcolm feel the press are trying to divide the black community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Malcolm X and Elijah Muhammad.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why do you think they cannot sort out their differences?
Essay Topic 2
Look at Spike Lee's adaptation of the book. Is it how the students would visualize the book? Do the students think the film is objective? What new meaning do the students think that Denzel Washington and Spike Lee bring to the work? How different do the students think the film would be if it were directed by a white director or starred, for example, Samuel Lee Jackson?
Essay Topic 3
How much do you think Malcolm X changed positive representations of African American culture? Is Malcolm's influence still felt today? Are there books, music or even celebrities that derive from Malcolm X's beliefs? What positive impact have Malcolm X's ideas had on society? Do you think Malcolm's ideas have had any negative impacts upon society?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)