|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Malcolm X's mother while she is pregnant with him?
2. For what does Malcolm bribe the guards?
3. Where does Malcolm's sister live?
4. Who approaches Malcolm while he is watching Billie Holliday?
5. What is the name of the quiet girl Malcolm meets in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Malcolm think hustling is preferable to a normal, straight life?
2. What do Malcolm's early life experiences teach him?
3. Why doe Malcolm initially think that it is a good idea to give up cigarettes in prison?
4. What does Malcolm state are the differences in the concept of love between Western religions and Islam?
5. Describe Harlem while Malcolm is living there.
6. Why is the nation of Islam so important to people like Malcolm?
7. Why does Malcolm change his surname from Small to X?
8. Describe Malcolm's visit home in Chapter 5.
9. How did Malcolm feel the press are trying to divide the black community?
10. Describe Laura.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Malcolm X and Elijah Muhammad.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why do you think they cannot sort out their differences?
Essay Topic 2
What are the advantages of legalizing drugs? What are the disadvantages? Are drugs a problem in other countries? Why do some countries cope with the drug problem better than others?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the differences between Islam and Christianity. What are the strengths and weaknesses of both religions? How much do people in America know about the Islamic religion compared to Christianity? Do the students think that we need to understand other religions before we criticize them? Has this been a problem in the past?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)