|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Malcolm's friends impressed with his dating Sophia?
2. What does Malcolm say he keeps his ears to when Archie is after him?
3. What area of the city does Malcolm claim he prefers?
4. What is Malcolm's father's job?
5. In what grade is Malcolm when he visits his sister for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Malcolm calls the turning point in his life.
2. Describe this final chapter.
3. In what way does Malcolm appreciate his difficult upbringing?
4. Why does Malcolm regret trying to change his hair into a conk style?
5. Why is it difficult for Haley to be a dispassionate chronicler of Malcolm's life?
6. How does Malcolm's trip to Boston change him?
7. In what way does Malcolm go about helping to change the Nation of Islam in Chapter 12?
8. Why did prison prove to be a good thing for Malcolm?
9. In what way are Malcolm's problems getting worse in Chapter 8?
10. What does Malcolm do when detectives began trailing him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the Nation of Islam in the Sixties. What were people's views on the Nation of Islam? Was there any Nation of Islam literature?How was Nation of Islam presented in popular culture? Has this representation affected the way people think about the Nation of Islam today?
Essay Topic 2
Why did the slaves have their names changed upon arriving in America? What effect did it have on their families' identities?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)