|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many words does Malcolm claim are part of his vocabulary before he starts reading?
(a) 350 words
(b) 500 words
(c) 50 words
(d) 200 words
2. How long does Malcolm's mother spend in a mental institution?
(a) 15 years
(b) 2 years
(c) 10 years
(d) 26 years
3. What does Malcolm sell to the customers on the train?
(c) Beverages and snacks
4. What is the name of the man Malcolm befriends in this chapter?
5. What does Malcolm say he learns from the black community in Boston?
(a) A new vocabulary
(b) The power of jazz
(c) Self respect
(d) The power of money
6. How many times is Malcolm questioned on local robberies?
(b) Four times
(c) Three times
7. What does Malcolm say he learned about through his travel through the city?
(a) The seedy side of life
(b) The social status of African Americans
(c) How to get what he wants
(d) The importance of money
8. What does Malcolm say he keeps his ears to when Archie is after him?
(a) The frontdoor
(b) The telephone
(c) The grapevine
(d) The window
9. Who were the first people to settle in Harlem?
(a) The Dutch
(b) The Jews
(c) The Irish
(d) The Africans
10. Who does Malcolm blame for Laura's demise?
(c) Her grandmother
11. What is the name of Malcolm's sister?
12. Whose friends stop Malcolm and Archie from killing each other?
(b) Billy Holliday's
13. What is the title of this first chapter?
14. Who visits Malcolm X's mother while she is pregnant with him?
(a) Martin Luther King
(b) Jesse Jackson
(c) The Ku Klux Klan
15. Where does Malcolm's sister live?
(d) New York
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Malcolm taken back to in this chapter?
2. Which members of the gang try to get into houses for tours?
3. What does Malcolm use to visit his home town?
4. Who approaches Malcolm while he is watching Billie Holliday?
5. What does Malcolm put together once he is in Boston?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)