|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 25 opens with McCall entering what?
2. What is the name of McCall's brother that locates McCall's biological father after he has been absent from their lives for so long?
3. Besides McCall's friends, who helps raise bail money in Chapter 42?
4. After St. Brides, McCall has a probation officer constantly telling him what?
5. Who moves to California, taking McCall's son with them, in Chapter 30?
Essay Topic 1
In Part III of the book, McCall describes his relationship with Yvette, her challenges with being inferior and the Muslim principle that women hold an inferior position in the home. Looking at McCall's upbringing, his relationship with his mother and his mother's role in McCall's home, how do the two outlooks, situations, etc. clash? Why does McCall have problems with this Muslim principle and how much of this is due to his upbringing and his mother's role in the home?
Essay Topic 2
Looking at Part III of the book, highlight examples of McCall's race sensitivity as well as when he let it overcome him and when he stepped back and did not let it cloud his decisions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of McCall's approval of unusual names for black babies in relation to his need to rebel against all things mainstream.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)