|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 34, who gets pregnant after McCall spends a few nights with her?
2. Which one of McCall's kids come to live with him in Chapter 43?
3. Chapter 25 opens with McCall entering what?
4. Whose high school graduation does McCall note in Chapter 43?
5. In Chapter 32, McCall has fathered another child; what is the name that the baby's mother has picked for this child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does McCall fear about his kids from Debbie and what does he do about it, according to Chapter 34?
2. What happens with the divorce from Debbie in Chapter 41?
3. Why do friends and family have to help McCall when he goes to visit his kids in Atlanta, in Chapter 42?
4. Why doesn't McCall trust anyone at the Virginia Pilot-Ledger Star where he works?
5. Why does McCall enjoy the small things in Chapter 24?
6. How does McCall deal with his friends' suspicions about his "good fortune" in Part II of the book?
7. How is McCall's life after being released from St Brides like starting life over?
8. In Part III, what relationship does McCall have with his editor?
9. How does McCall's decision to do the right thing and not worry about what people think about him in Part II illustrate McCall's growth and maturity?
10. Why do Debbie and McCall work on staying married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the people in McCall's life, outside of the prison, affected by his incarceration? (His son, Elisabeth, his parents, siblings, grandmother, etc.)
Essay Topic 2
In Part I of the book, McCall describes his decision to steal as a rite of passage. What is a rite of passage, and how does McCall's decision to take from others constitute such a reference?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12 explain the messages in the movies "Superfly" and "The Mack" and how these messages affect McCall and his friends. What does McCall note about the movies that he just lets go right by him?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)