|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1981, McCall graduated with honors from what college?
2. In Chapter 34, the mother of McCall's kids threatens to move back to where?
3. Where does McCall visit his new daughter, as noted in Chapter 43?
4. Chapter 25 opens with McCall entering what?
5. How much is the bail to free McCall from jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McCall see his grandchild as a another cycle of life?
2. Later, in Chapter 34, McCall pressures Debbie to abort their second child but why is McCall glad the abortion did not happen?
3. What happens when McCall deals with the question of whether to abort his own child and an assignment in Chapter 31?
4. Why do Debbie and McCall work on staying married?
5. How does McCall's decision to do the right thing and not worry about what people think about him in Part II illustrate McCall's growth and maturity?
6. Why are Debbie's parents happy about the pregnancy, while McCall's parents are not in Chapter 32?
7. In Part III, what relationship does McCall have with his editor?
8. In Chapter 35, how is McCall fitting into the mainstream?
9. What does McCall like about Islam according to Chapter 26?
10. How does the fellowship program in Missouri help McCall deal with his racial sensitivity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapters 35 through 39, McCall encounters trendy blacks, advice from Milton Campbell, reaction of fellow journalists in Missouri and Danny his co-worker. How does each of these situations affect McCall's perceptions about race? What challenges him? What changes him? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In Part III of the book, McCall describes his relationship with Yvette, her challenges with being inferior and the Muslim principle that women hold an inferior position in the home. Looking at McCall's upbringing, his relationship with his mother and his mother's role in McCall's home, how do the two outlooks, situations, etc. clash? Why does McCall have problems with this Muslim principle and how much of this is due to his upbringing and his mother's role in the home?
Essay Topic 3
McCall runs away from home and returns in Part I of the book. Why does McCall run away, why does he return, and why does McCall refer to the whipping he gets from his stepfather upon his return home saving "face?"
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)