|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 34, McCall moves out and begins doing what?
2. In Part II of the book, McCall reflects on why many return to jail withing first ___ years of release.
3. After arriving home from St. Brides, McCall makes arrangements to see whom but feels awkward around this person?
4. In Chapter 30, McCall begins to connect with whom but then this person has to move?
5. Upon a trip to visit the kids in what city, is McCall is arrested for non payment of child support?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Debbie's parents happy about the pregnancy, while McCall's parents are not in Chapter 32?
2. What does McCall like about Islam according to Chapter 26?
3. How does Danny's driving curiosity about race affect his relationship with McCall?
4. Why does McCall feel like a slave on an auction block in Chapter 27?
5. Why doesn't McCall trust anyone at the Virginia Pilot-Ledger Star where he works?
6. What happens in Chapter 40 when McCall is challenged by another driver?
7. How does McCall's reaction to the watermelon eating contest assignment reflect his racial sensitivity?
8. What happens with the divorce from Debbie in Chapter 41?
9. Why does McCall enjoy the small things in Chapter 24?
10. How does McCall deal with his friends' suspicions about his "good fortune" in Part II of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part I of the book there are several instances that support the theme of juvenile invincibility that is felt by a young McCall and and his friends. Discuss this theme and provide details from Part I that illustrate this feeling of invincibility among McCall and other young boys described by McCall during this part of his life. What were the more effective glimpses into this mentality provided by McCall in this part of the book and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of McCall's approval of unusual names for black babies in relation to his need to rebel against all things mainstream.
Essay Topic 3
McCall runs away from home and returns in Part I of the book. Why does McCall run away, why does he return, and why does McCall refer to the whipping he gets from his stepfather upon his return home saving "face?"
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)