|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part III of the book, McCall describes how he never does this in front of white people?
2. In Chapter 39, McCall describes his participation in a minorities and workplace racism fellowship which was held at which university?
3. In Chapter 44, McCall boils down his life and that of his friends to one word, which is what?
4. In Chapter 36, McCall says that an old friend comes to visit who wants to escape the drug scene from where?
5. Which one of McCall's kids come to live with him in Chapter 43?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does McCall deal with his friends' suspicions about his "good fortune" in Part II of the book?
2. Why doesn't McCall trust anyone at the Virginia Pilot-Ledger Star where he works?
3. What does McCall say about drugs and the young black man in Chapter 40?
4. Why does McCall feel like a slave on an auction block in Chapter 27?
5. What does McCall fear about his kids from Debbie and what does he do about it, according to Chapter 34?
6. What happens in Chapter 40 when McCall is challenged by another driver?
7. Why does McCall enjoy the small things in Chapter 24?
8. What does McCall like about Islam according to Chapter 26?
9. Later, in Chapter 34, McCall pressures Debbie to abort their second child but why is McCall glad the abortion did not happen?
10. In Chapter 35, how is McCall fitting into the mainstream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Stanley's visit and the resulting scenes and events in McCall's life facilitate McCall's decision to leave behind drug use from this point forward? How does this turning point reflect other changes that occurred in McCall's life during this time as well (family, career)?
Essay Topic 2
According to McCall, why do so many return to prison within five years of leaving? Why does McCall say he understands why this happens? What is going on in his life when he realizes this, and why do you think McCall does not return to prison within this time?
Essay Topic 3
Explain McCall's conflict about deciding whether to join a gang while in prison or walk away (Part II of book, Chapter 17-23). Also discuss how this conflict illustrates McCall's growing maturity.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)