|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose high school graduation does McCall note in Chapter 43?
2. What is McCall's biological father's name?
3. McCall is challenged one day while he is out doing what, as noted in Chapter 40?
4. As McCall describes his feelings about his assignments in Chapter 29, he reveals that these people are not objective but have feelings and opinions about everything.
5. What is the name of the guy calling out to McCall from a group of shackled inmates, that McCall recalls almost overdosing at the man's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McCall enjoy the small things in Chapter 24?
2. Why do Debbie and McCall work on staying married?
3. How does the fellowship program in Missouri help McCall deal with his racial sensitivity?
4. What happens when McCall deals with the question of whether to abort his own child and an assignment in Chapter 31?
5. Why do friends and family have to help McCall when he goes to visit his kids in Atlanta, in Chapter 42?
6. How does McCall's decision to do the right thing and not worry about what people think about him in Part II illustrate McCall's growth and maturity?
7. In Chapter 35, how is McCall fitting into the mainstream?
8. How does Danny's driving curiosity about race affect his relationship with McCall?
9. What does McCall like about Islam according to Chapter 26?
10. How does McCall's reaction to the watermelon eating contest assignment reflect his racial sensitivity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 12 explain the messages in the movies "Superfly" and "The Mack" and how these messages affect McCall and his friends. What does McCall note about the movies that he just lets go right by him?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14, McCall shoots a man who had once raped and is now harassing Elisabeth. How does the system handle McCall and this crime and how does this compare to how something like this might be handled in today's system with a shooter like McCall and a man like Plaz? Consider the type of threat to Elisabeth as an influencing factor as well.
Essay Topic 3
In Part II of the book, how does McCall's incarceration and the people he meets while incarcerated affect his thinking and perceptions? Use specific examples and explain why chose those examples.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)