|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 34, McCall moves out and begins doing what?
2. After St. Brides, McCall notes that he understands why so many return to prison so quickly after freedom because jail provides jail, housing, and ___ for inmates.
3. Who moves to California, taking McCall's son with them, in Chapter 30?
4. Which brother, according to McCall in Chapter 40, continues to drain his parents' resources?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 29, McCall quotes that he never expected going into the system would make him what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is McCall now afraid of the people with whom he was once so comfortable?
2. How does McCall deal with his friends' suspicions about his "good fortune" in Part II of the book?
3. What happens in Chapter 40 when McCall is challenged by another driver?
4. Why are Debbie's parents happy about the pregnancy, while McCall's parents are not in Chapter 32?
5. Later, in Chapter 34, McCall pressures Debbie to abort their second child but why is McCall glad the abortion did not happen?
6. What does McCall say about drugs and the young black man in Chapter 40?
7. Why doesn't McCall trust anyone at the Virginia Pilot-Ledger Star where he works?
8. How does McCall's reaction to the watermelon eating contest assignment reflect his racial sensitivity?
9. Why does McCall feel like a slave on an auction block in Chapter 27?
10. How does Stanley's visit become a turning point for McCall and the drug scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part I of the book, McCall describes his decision to steal as a rite of passage. What is a rite of passage, and how does McCall's decision to take from others constitute such a reference?
Essay Topic 2
In Part II of the book, how does McCall's incarceration and the people he meets while incarcerated affect his thinking and perceptions? Use specific examples and explain why chose those examples.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12 explain the messages in the movies "Superfly" and "The Mack" and how these messages affect McCall and his friends. What does McCall note about the movies that he just lets go right by him?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)