|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After this person's trial, McCall found a note on his door telling him to give them money or the note writer would tell the "man" about McCall.
2. In Chapter 36, McCall gets a visit from an old friend by what name?
3. In Chapter 32, McCall has fathered another child; what is the name that the baby's mother has picked for this child?
4. In Chapter 24, McCall describes how he has come to appreciate the small things, after arriving home from St. Bride's with whom?
5. In Part II of the book, McCall reflects on why many return to jail withing first ___ years of release.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 35, how is McCall fitting into the mainstream?
2. Why does McCall feel he is bringing another child into a world of pain and strife (Chapter 32)?
3. Why does McCall feel like a slave on an auction block in Chapter 27?
4. Why is McCall now afraid of the people with whom he was once so comfortable?
5. What happens with the divorce from Debbie in Chapter 41?
6. How does Danny's driving curiosity about race affect his relationship with McCall?
7. Later, in Chapter 34, McCall pressures Debbie to abort their second child but why is McCall glad the abortion did not happen?
8. Why do Debbie and McCall work on staying married?
9. How does the fellowship program in Missouri help McCall deal with his racial sensitivity?
10. How is McCall's life after being released from St Brides like starting life over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 14, McCall shoots a man who had once raped and is now harassing Elisabeth. How does the system handle McCall and this crime and how does this compare to how something like this might be handled in today's system with a shooter like McCall and a man like Plaz? Consider the type of threat to Elisabeth as an influencing factor as well.
Essay Topic 2
Looking at Part III of the book, highlight examples of McCall's race sensitivity as well as when he let it overcome him and when he stepped back and did not let it cloud his decisions.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12 explain the messages in the movies "Superfly" and "The Mack" and how these messages affect McCall and his friends. What does McCall note about the movies that he just lets go right by him?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)