|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, McCall is severely beaten by whom?
2. After July 19, 1973, McCall is soon accepted into how many colleges?
3. In talking about the black hero in Chapter 12, McCall comments that even his stepfather owns what?
4. The wealthier side of the new black housing development is separated from a poorer white neighborhood which is called what?
5. In Chapter 7, McCall likens all the fighting between groups, gangs, and others as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. While driving around after graduation and not finding place to meet up with friends, what does McCall mean when he cites this driving around as an analogy of his life at this point?
2. Why does McCall feel he should have acted differently when he refuses work while on a prison type plantation in Chapter 19?
3. In Part I, McCall describes the power he gets from having a gun. How does this affect him?
4. In Chapter 19, how and why do McCall's inmates decorate their cells?
5. In Chapter 22, why is McCall hurt by his friends' actions while he is in prison?
6. What scam do Elisabeth and McCall run in Chapter 15?
7. How does McCall relate what happens with the manual prison labor in Chapter 19 with his stepfather's teachings?
8. In the opening chapter when McCall, along with others, is beating the young white boy, what is going on in McCall's head?
9. In Chapter ,4 McCall is now in a black junior high school, but he is still the new kid; what are some things he does to help him fit in?
10. Why do McCall and his stepfather clash about work in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Looking at Part III of the book, highlight examples of McCall's race sensitivity as well as when he let it overcome him and when he stepped back and did not let it cloud his decisions.
Essay Topic 2
How are the people in McCall's life, outside of the prison, affected by his incarceration? (His son, Elisabeth, his parents, siblings, grandmother, etc.)
Essay Topic 3
McCall runs away from home and returns in Part I of the book. Why does McCall run away, why does he return, and why does McCall refer to the whipping he gets from his stepfather upon his return home saving "face?"
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)