|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, McCall is sent into the juvenile court system after he is caught doing what with his friends?
2. In Chapter 22, McCall comes to realize that many blacks feel education has nothing to do with them so they do what?
3. What is the name of the school McCall's parents move him back to after he did not fit in at the white junior high school?
4. What is the name of the book that eventually turns McCall on to religion?
5. McCall briefly turns to selling drugs but stops, admitting in Chapter 15 that besides the pitfalls McCall can't track what well enough to make money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does McCall use his new "power" of the gun when chased by group that has beaten him, and how does he feel?
2. McCall describes his experience with a "train" being run on someone he cares about. How does McCall feel about this and what leads up to this event?
3. What does the Cadillac symbolize for McCall's stepfather in Chapter 10 and how does it affect McCall?
4. While driving around after graduation and not finding place to meet up with friends, what does McCall mean when he cites this driving around as an analogy of his life at this point?
5. How does McCall's advancing knowledge from Jim in Chapter 22 affect McCall's perception of blacks and education?
6. In Chapter 22, why is McCall hurt by his friends' actions while he is in prison?
7. Why does McCall dislike his stepfather's behavior with white people?
8. What scam do Elisabeth and McCall run in Chapter 15?
9. How does McCall respond after going to a party in a hostile neighborhood unarmed with his friends and losing one of their own after fleeing shots from rival group?
10. How does McCall and Elisabeth's scam affect them and the neighborhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to McCall, why do so many return to prison within five years of leaving? Why does McCall say he understands why this happens? What is going on in his life when he realizes this, and why do you think McCall does not return to prison within this time?
Essay Topic 2
How does Stanley's visit and the resulting scenes and events in McCall's life facilitate McCall's decision to leave behind drug use from this point forward? How does this turning point reflect other changes that occurred in McCall's life during this time as well (family, career)?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 14, McCall shoots a man who had once raped and is now harassing Elisabeth. How does the system handle McCall and this crime and how does this compare to how something like this might be handled in today's system with a shooter like McCall and a man like Plaz? Consider the type of threat to Elisabeth as an influencing factor as well.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)