Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 23, the college responds to McCall, telling him to do what?
2. McCall learns a lot from a man named Jim who has been _______ for more than a decade.
3. In Chapter 9, McCall is arrested for possession of what?
4. How old is McCall when the parents of his former girlfriend want him to testify about her assault?
5. In Chapter 3, McCall talks about his family, including his two full bothers whose names are what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does McCall's reaction to the watermelon eating contest assignment reflect his racial sensitivity?
2. How does McCall deal with his friends' suspicions about his "good fortune" in Part II of the book?
3. While driving around after graduation and not finding place to meet up with friends, what does McCall mean when he cites this driving around as an analogy of his life at this point?
4. In Chapter 11, McCall is hustling people and breaking into homes; why does he stop?
5. In Chapter 19, how and why do McCall's inmates decorate their cells?
6. In Part III, what relationship does McCall have with his editor?
7. Why do Debbie and McCall work on staying married?
8. How does McCall's advancing knowledge from Jim in Chapter 22 affect McCall's perception of blacks and education?
9. Why do friends and family have to help McCall when he goes to visit his kids in Atlanta, in Chapter 42?
10. Why does McCall feel he is bringing another child into a world of pain and strife (Chapter 32)?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how McCall's actions/behaviors in Chapters 1 though 5 illustrate or embody his fears?
Essay Topic 2
McCall is being beaten by the Cherry Boys and realizes they have no idea when or if they have gone too far in the beating, causing permanent damage or killing him. How does McCall's thoughts about this beating in Chapter 8 compare with his thoughts in Chapter 1 when they beat the white boy on the bicycle?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12 explain the messages in the movies "Superfly" and "The Mack" and how these messages affect McCall and his friends. What does McCall note about the movies that he just lets go right by him?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)