|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the boy in Part I of the book that McCall and others think is dead, only to find him alive and at home when they return to their neighborhood?
2. When the family arrives at their new home in 1964, McCall's stepfather works full-time and does lawn work part-time to support the family, after retiring from where?
3. What is the name of the girl crowned homecoming queen in Chapter 13?
4. How old was McCall's mother when she began her relationship with McCall's biological father?
5. According to McCall in Chapter 21, who has the men's hormones in turmoil and he hates them for this sexual tension?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the new housing development is built for blacks, what does McCall describe as the stated goal and the perceived goal for this project?
2. McCall describes his experience with a "train" being run on someone he cares about. How does McCall feel about this and what leads up to this event?
3. While driving around after graduation and not finding place to meet up with friends, what does McCall mean when he cites this driving around as an analogy of his life at this point?
4. In the opening chapter when McCall, along with others, is beating the young white boy, what is going on in McCall's head?
5. In Chapter 11, McCall is hustling people and breaking into homes; why does he stop?
6. In Chapter 19, how and why do McCall's inmates decorate their cells?
7. When several of McCall's friends decide to drop out of school, why does McCall stay in school?
8. In Part I of the book, why does McCall think a junior high school was built near the black housing development?
9. What does McCall realize about his life after Moses Battle teaches him how to play chess in Chapter 17?
10. From Chapter 23, how does McCall's behavior indicate his new found realization that he needs to take actions for the long term?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Stanley's visit and the resulting scenes and events in McCall's life facilitate McCall's decision to leave behind drug use from this point forward? How does this turning point reflect other changes that occurred in McCall's life during this time as well (family, career)?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12 explain the messages in the movies "Superfly" and "The Mack" and how these messages affect McCall and his friends. What does McCall note about the movies that he just lets go right by him?
Essay Topic 3
McCall runs away from home and returns in Part I of the book. Why does McCall run away, why does he return, and why does McCall refer to the whipping he gets from his stepfather upon his return home saving "face?"
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)