|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, according to McCall in Chapter 10, backs up his alibi when McCall needs one?
2. What is McCall doing in Chapter 15 while his relationships with family deteriorate and McCall becomes more paranoid?
3. In Chapter 16, McCall and his son's mother run a scam that besides them affects other peoples what?
4. In Chapter 22, McCall comes to realize that many blacks feel education has nothing to do with them so they do what?
5. What is the name of the girl crowned homecoming queen in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part I, why does McCall envy the dirty white children running around in a restaurant?
2. Why do McCall and his stepfather clash about work in Chapter 10?
3. How does McCall use his new "power" of the gun when chased by group that has beaten him, and how does he feel?
4. While driving around after graduation and not finding place to meet up with friends, what does McCall mean when he cites this driving around as an analogy of his life at this point?
5. Why does McCall refer to the fighting of whites and among groups and gangs, in Chapter 7 as "dress rehearsal?"
6. In Part I of the book, why does McCall think a junior high school was built near the black housing development?
7. Why is McCall relieved when he is realizes he will have to serve at least 18 months in jail of his sentence of several years for robbing McDonald's?
8. In Chapter 5, how is McCall affected after being caught shoplifting?
9. What does McCall realize about his life after Moses Battle teaches him how to play chess in Chapter 17?
10. From Chapter 23, how does McCall's behavior indicate his new found realization that he needs to take actions for the long term?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain McCall's conflict about deciding whether to join a gang while in prison or walk away (Part II of book, Chapter 17-23). Also discuss how this conflict illustrates McCall's growing maturity.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how McCall's actions/behaviors in Chapters 1 though 5 illustrate or embody his fears?
Essay Topic 3
According to McCall, why do so many return to prison within five years of leaving? Why does McCall say he understands why this happens? What is going on in his life when he realizes this, and why do you think McCall does not return to prison within this time?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)