|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As McCall learns more about what process, he finally makes a career choice?
2. McCall meets a man named Moses Battle who teaches MCall how to do what?
3. In Chapter 23, the college responds to McCall, telling him to do what?
4. According to McCall in Chapter 13, who is liked by his parents for keeping him off the streets?
5. Who does McCall ask to marry him but he is moved to Southampton before the ceremony can take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does McCall's advancing knowledge from Jim in Chapter 22 affect McCall's perception of blacks and education?
2. How does McCall relate what happens with the manual prison labor in Chapter 19 with his stepfather's teachings?
3. Why does McCall feel he should have acted differently when he refuses work while on a prison type plantation in Chapter 19?
4. According to McCall in Chapter 6, why does he expect that his mother should have talked to her boys about sex?
5. What happens with Plaz and how is McCall's stepfather involved?
6. McCall's relationship with Elisabeth Miller keeps him off the streets but raises a different issue. Explain.
7. When the new housing development is built for blacks, what does McCall describe as the stated goal and the perceived goal for this project?
8. Why do McCall and his stepfather clash about work in Chapter 10?
9. How does McCall respond after going to a party in a hostile neighborhood unarmed with his friends and losing one of their own after fleeing shots from rival group?
10. In Part I, McCall describes the power he gets from having a gun. How does this affect him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to McCall, why do so many return to prison within five years of leaving? Why does McCall say he understands why this happens? What is going on in his life when he realizes this, and why do you think McCall does not return to prison within this time?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14, McCall shoots a man who had once raped and is now harassing Elisabeth. How does the system handle McCall and this crime and how does this compare to how something like this might be handled in today's system with a shooter like McCall and a man like Plaz? Consider the type of threat to Elisabeth as an influencing factor as well.
Essay Topic 3
In Part II of the book, how does McCall's incarceration and the people he meets while incarcerated affect his thinking and perceptions? Use specific examples and explain why chose those examples.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)