|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the person that visits McCall and McCall becomes concerned for this person's health?
2. In Chapter 11, as McCall's successful criminal activities increase, the youngsters in his neighborhood ____ him.
3. From where is McCall released in February 1978?
4. When the family arrives at their new home in 1964, McCall's stepfather works full-time and does lawn work part-time to support the family, after retiring from where?
5. According to Chapter 4, how many blocks is the walk to the black junior high school near McCall's home in the new black housing development?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Cadillac symbolize for McCall's stepfather in Chapter 10 and how does it affect McCall?
2. What scam do Elisabeth and McCall run in Chapter 15?
3. Why do McCall and his stepfather clash about work in Chapter 10?
4. Why is McCall relieved when he is realizes he will have to serve at least 18 months in jail of his sentence of several years for robbing McDonald's?
5. When the new housing development is built for blacks, what does McCall describe as the stated goal and the perceived goal for this project?
6. How does McCall's advancing knowledge from Jim in Chapter 22 affect McCall's perception of blacks and education?
7. In Chapter 22, why is McCall hurt by his friends' actions while he is in prison?
8. McCall's relationship with Elisabeth Miller keeps him off the streets but raises a different issue. Explain.
9. When several of McCall's friends decide to drop out of school, why does McCall stay in school?
10. In Chapter ,4 McCall is now in a black junior high school, but he is still the new kid; what are some things he does to help him fit in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to McCall, why do so many return to prison within five years of leaving? Why does McCall say he understands why this happens? What is going on in his life when he realizes this, and why do you think McCall does not return to prison within this time?
Essay Topic 2
McCall is being beaten by the Cherry Boys and realizes they have no idea when or if they have gone too far in the beating, causing permanent damage or killing him. How does McCall's thoughts about this beating in Chapter 8 compare with his thoughts in Chapter 1 when they beat the white boy on the bicycle?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 14, McCall shoots a man who had once raped and is now harassing Elisabeth. How does the system handle McCall and this crime and how does this compare to how something like this might be handled in today's system with a shooter like McCall and a man like Plaz? Consider the type of threat to Elisabeth as an influencing factor as well.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)