Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 23, the college responds to McCall, telling him to do what?
2. McCall learns a lot from a man named Jim who has been _______ for more than a decade.
3. In Chapter 9, McCall is arrested for possession of what?
4. How old is McCall when the parents of his former girlfriend want him to testify about her assault?
5. In Chapter 3, McCall talks about his family, including his two full bothers whose names are what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does McCall's reaction to the watermelon eating contest assignment reflect his racial sensitivity?
2. How does McCall deal with his friends' suspicions about his "good fortune" in Part II of the book?
3. While driving around after graduation and not finding place to meet up with friends, what does McCall mean when he cites this driving around as an analogy of his life at this point?
4. In Chapter 11, McCall is hustling people and breaking into homes; why does he stop?
5. In Chapter 19, how and why do McCall's inmates decorate their cells?
6. In Part III, what relationship does McCall have with his editor?
7. Why do Debbie and McCall work on staying married?
8. How does McCall's advancing knowledge from Jim in Chapter 22 affect McCall's perception of blacks and education?
9. Why do friends and family have to help McCall when he goes to visit his kids in Atlanta, in Chapter 42?
10. Why does McCall feel he is bringing another child into a world of pain and strife (Chapter 32)?
Essay Topic 1
How are the people in McCall's life, outside of the prison, affected by his incarceration? (His son, Elisabeth, his parents, siblings, grandmother, etc.)
Essay Topic 2
How does Stanley's visit and the resulting scenes and events in McCall's life facilitate McCall's decision to leave behind drug use from this point forward? How does this turning point reflect other changes that occurred in McCall's life during this time as well (family, career)?
Essay Topic 3
McCall runs away from home and returns in Part I of the book. Why does McCall run away, why does he return, and why does McCall refer to the whipping he gets from his stepfather upon his return home saving "face?"
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)