|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. McCall vows to do what he can to help but has no idea what to do when his girlfriend tells him what?
2. In Chapter 11, as McCall's successful criminal activities increase, the youngsters in his neighborhood ____ him.
3. According to McCall in Chapter 23, after making his career choice, he writes to what college?
4. McCall is fired from what kind of job after a confrontation with a supervisor?
5. In what year does McCall briefly attend a white junior high school for purposes of integration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does McCall realize about his life after Moses Battle teaches him how to play chess in Chapter 17?
2. Why do McCall and his stepfather clash about work in Chapter 10?
3. How does McCall's advancing knowledge from Jim in Chapter 22 affect McCall's perception of blacks and education?
4. McCall describes his experience with a "train" being run on someone he cares about. How does McCall feel about this and what leads up to this event?
5. In Part I of the book, why does McCall think a junior high school was built near the black housing development?
6. Why does McCall refer to the fighting of whites and among groups and gangs, in Chapter 7 as "dress rehearsal?"
7. In Chapter ,4 McCall is now in a black junior high school, but he is still the new kid; what are some things he does to help him fit in?
8. According to McCall in Chapter 6, why does he expect that his mother should have talked to her boys about sex?
9. In Chapter 19, how and why do McCall's inmates decorate their cells?
10. In Part I, why does McCall envy the dirty white children running around in a restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does McCall's driving around and never finding his friends serve as an analogy of his life up to this point? Be specific and support with details from McCall's life up to this point.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12 explain the messages in the movies "Superfly" and "The Mack" and how these messages affect McCall and his friends. What does McCall note about the movies that he just lets go right by him?
Essay Topic 3
According to McCall, why do so many return to prison within five years of leaving? Why does McCall say he understands why this happens? What is going on in his life when he realizes this, and why do you think McCall does not return to prison within this time?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)