|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what is the name of the young man that fights McCall to "toughen" him up?
2. Feeling the power of the gun after shooting at a gang chasing him, McCall goes home in Part I and almost confesses all he has done to whom?
3. In Chapter 23, what is the name of the former teacher McCall encounters and wishes to tell that his lessons made a difference?
4. How many days in jail does McCall get for shooting a man in the chest?
5. In Chapter 18, McCall is able to discover literature relevant to his life and pass the time, when he is in what place?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, McCall is hustling people and breaking into homes; why does he stop?
2. How does McCall's advancing knowledge from Jim in Chapter 22 affect McCall's perception of blacks and education?
3. Why is McCall relieved when he is realizes he will have to serve at least 18 months in jail of his sentence of several years for robbing McDonald's?
4. How does McCall and Elisabeth's scam affect them and the neighborhood?
5. Why does McCall dislike his stepfather's behavior with white people?
6. What does the Cadillac symbolize for McCall's stepfather in Chapter 10 and how does it affect McCall?
7. McCall's relationship with Elisabeth Miller keeps him off the streets but raises a different issue. Explain.
8. What scam do Elisabeth and McCall run in Chapter 15?
9. Early in Part I of the book, McCall presents his "understanding" about white people which is what?
10. In Chapter 19, how and why do McCall's inmates decorate their cells?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain McCall's conflict about deciding whether to join a gang while in prison or walk away (Part II of book, Chapter 17-23). Also discuss how this conflict illustrates McCall's growing maturity.
Essay Topic 2
McCall runs away from home and returns in Part I of the book. Why does McCall run away, why does he return, and why does McCall refer to the whipping he gets from his stepfather upon his return home saving "face?"
Essay Topic 3
McCall is being beaten by the Cherry Boys and realizes they have no idea when or if they have gone too far in the beating, causing permanent damage or killing him. How does McCall's thoughts about this beating in Chapter 8 compare with his thoughts in Chapter 1 when they beat the white boy on the bicycle?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)