|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, "pimping" is a kind of what?
2. According to McCall in Chapter 13, who is liked by his parents for keeping him off the streets?
3. In Chapter 23, the college responds to McCall, telling him to do what?
4. What is McCall doing in Chapter 15 while his relationships with family deteriorate and McCall becomes more paranoid?
5. From where is McCall released in February 1978?
Short Essay Questions
1. From Chapter 23, how does McCall's behavior indicate his new found realization that he needs to take actions for the long term?
2. In Chapter 22, why is McCall hurt by his friends' actions while he is in prison?
3. McCall's relationship with Elisabeth Miller keeps him off the streets but raises a different issue. Explain.
4. Why does McCall refer to the fighting of whites and among groups and gangs, in Chapter 7 as "dress rehearsal?"
5. What happens with Plaz and how is McCall's stepfather involved?
6. In Part I, why does McCall envy the dirty white children running around in a restaurant?
7. In Part I of the book, why does McCall think a junior high school was built near the black housing development?
8. Why do McCall and his stepfather clash about work in Chapter 10?
9. In Part I, McCall describes the power he gets from having a gun. How does this affect him?
10. How does McCall relate what happens with the manual prison labor in Chapter 19 with his stepfather's teachings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of McCall's approval of unusual names for black babies in relation to his need to rebel against all things mainstream.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12 explain the messages in the movies "Superfly" and "The Mack" and how these messages affect McCall and his friends. What does McCall note about the movies that he just lets go right by him?
Essay Topic 3
McCall runs away from home and returns in Part I of the book. Why does McCall run away, why does he return, and why does McCall refer to the whipping he gets from his stepfather upon his return home saving "face?"
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)