|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where is McCall released in February 1978?
2. McCall's stepfather takes in a child from his previous marriage who is older than McCall; what is this child's name?
3. The wealthier side of the new black housing development is separated from a poorer white neighborhood which is called what?
4. In talking about the black hero in Chapter 12, McCall comments that even his stepfather owns what?
5. In Chapter 8, McCall is severely beaten by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 19, how and why do McCall's inmates decorate their cells?
2. In Chapter 5, how is McCall affected after being caught shoplifting?
3. How does McCall use his new "power" of the gun when chased by group that has beaten him, and how does he feel?
4. What happens with Plaz and how is McCall's stepfather involved?
5. How does McCall's advancing knowledge from Jim in Chapter 22 affect McCall's perception of blacks and education?
6. How does McCall respond after going to a party in a hostile neighborhood unarmed with his friends and losing one of their own after fleeing shots from rival group?
7. From Chapter 23, how does McCall's behavior indicate his new found realization that he needs to take actions for the long term?
8. When several of McCall's friends decide to drop out of school, why does McCall stay in school?
9. Why does McCall feel he should have acted differently when he refuses work while on a prison type plantation in Chapter 19?
10. In the opening chapter when McCall, along with others, is beating the young white boy, what is going on in McCall's head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of McCall's approval of unusual names for black babies in relation to his need to rebel against all things mainstream.
Essay Topic 2
Looking at Part III of the book, highlight examples of McCall's race sensitivity as well as when he let it overcome him and when he stepped back and did not let it cloud his decisions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how McCall's actions/behaviors in Chapters 1 though 5 illustrate or embody his fears?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)