|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, McCall and his friends' ongoing feud with one group is interrupted by a new threat from where?
2. From where is McCall released in February 1978?
3. In Chapter 4, "pimping" is a kind of what?
4. In Part I of the book, McCall reveals that the reason he starts to steal is not for anything he needs but rather for what?
5. Even being on the honor roll and adults pulling for his academic success is not enough to pull McCall from his old life, so in Chapter 14 McCall describes going to his college classes ___ or not showing up at all.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McCall dislike his stepfather's behavior with white people?
2. In Chapter 11, McCall is hustling people and breaking into homes; why does he stop?
3. According to McCall in Chapter 6, why does he expect that his mother should have talked to her boys about sex?
4. When the new housing development is built for blacks, what does McCall describe as the stated goal and the perceived goal for this project?
5. When several of McCall's friends decide to drop out of school, why does McCall stay in school?
6. Why do McCall and his stepfather clash about work in Chapter 10?
7. Why does McCall feel he should have acted differently when he refuses work while on a prison type plantation in Chapter 19?
8. How does McCall respond after going to a party in a hostile neighborhood unarmed with his friends and losing one of their own after fleeing shots from rival group?
9. How does McCall's advancing knowledge from Jim in Chapter 22 affect McCall's perception of blacks and education?
10. In the opening chapter when McCall, along with others, is beating the young white boy, what is going on in McCall's head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 14, McCall shoots a man who had once raped and is now harassing Elisabeth. How does the system handle McCall and this crime and how does this compare to how something like this might be handled in today's system with a shooter like McCall and a man like Plaz? Consider the type of threat to Elisabeth as an influencing factor as well.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12 explain the messages in the movies "Superfly" and "The Mack" and how these messages affect McCall and his friends. What does McCall note about the movies that he just lets go right by him?
Essay Topic 3
How are the people in McCall's life, outside of the prison, affected by his incarceration? (His son, Elisabeth, his parents, siblings, grandmother, etc.)
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)