|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 34, McCall moves out and begins doing what?
2. What is the name of the young woman McCall is seeing that is having trouble at work because she feels inferior?
3. How much is the bail to free McCall from jail?
4. In 1981, McCall graduated with honors from what college?
(a) Norfolk State.
(d) Old Dominion.
5. In Chapter 36, McCall gets a visit from an old friend by what name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pressures McCall to marry the young woman he is seeing who is having trouble at her job because of feelings of inferiority?
2. In Chapter 33, what does the black civil rights leader accuse McCall of being?
3. In Chapter 44, McCall boils down his life and that of his friends to one word, which is what?
4. When McCall is confronted about leaving his prison record off of his application, what does he do in Chapter 39?
5. To whom is McCall married and they agree to remain so despite problems, according to McCall in Chapter 38?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Debbie's mom respond to the African name chosen for their first son and why does McCall insist on the African name?
2. How does McCall proceed with the advice he got from Milton regarding his prison record during the Washington Post interview?
3. What does McCall say about drugs and the young black man in Chapter 40?
4. Why doesn't McCall trust anyone at the Virginia Pilot-Ledger Star where he works?
5. Why does McCall feel like a slave on an auction block in Chapter 27?
6. What happens with the divorce from Debbie in Chapter 41?
7. In Part III, what relationship does McCall have with his editor?
8. How does the fellowship program in Missouri help McCall deal with his racial sensitivity?
9. How does Danny's driving curiosity about race affect his relationship with McCall?
10. How does McCall deal with his friends' suspicions about his "good fortune" in Part II of the book?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)