|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who moves to California, taking McCall's son with them, in Chapter 30?
2. In Chapter 24, what is the name of the person McCall talks about who shoots someone in the back over a basketball game?
3. McCall is challenged one day while he is out doing what, as noted in Chapter 40?
(b) Hanging with his buddies.
(c) Working an assignment.
4. In Chapter 27, McCall has graduated from college and is looking for a job but he has two strikes against him, one being what?
(a) He is male.
(b) He is white.
(c) He is former addict.
(d) He is black.
5. In Chapter 44, McCall boils down his life and that of his friends to one word, which is what?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to McCall in Chapter 25, who is diagnosed with a terminal illness and kills himself and his wife?
2. In Chapter 26, a college professor introduces McCall to what religion?
3. In Chapter 41, McCall's divorce leaves him making mortgage payments of what amount?
4. In Chapter 38, after a change in the newspaper McCall receives what?
5. Where does McCall visit his new daughter, as noted in Chapter 43?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is McCall now afraid of the people with whom he was once so comfortable?
2. Why does McCall feel he is bringing another child into a world of pain and strife (Chapter 32)?
3. What does McCall fear about his kids from Debbie and what does he do about it, according to Chapter 34?
4. How does Debbie's mom respond to the African name chosen for their first son and why does McCall insist on the African name?
5. How does McCall's reaction to the watermelon eating contest assignment reflect his racial sensitivity?
6. How does McCall's decision to do the right thing and not worry about what people think about him in Part II illustrate McCall's growth and maturity?
7. Why are Debbie's parents happy about the pregnancy, while McCall's parents are not in Chapter 32?
8. Why doesn't McCall trust anyone at the Virginia Pilot-Ledger Star where he works?
9. What does McCall say about drugs and the young black man in Chapter 40?
10. How is McCall's life after being released from St Brides like starting life over?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)