|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1981, McCall graduated with honors from what college?
(c) Norfolk State.
(d) Old Dominion.
2. Once hired by the newspaper, McCall describes being uncomfortable working what assignment?
(a) Social scene.
(c) Violent crimes.
(d) The court beat.
3. Who is upset about the name McCall chooses in Chapter 32 for his son?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) The grandfather.
(c) His mother.
(d) The maternal grandmother.
4. In Chapter 27, McCall has graduated from college and is looking for a job but he has two strikes against him, one being what?
(a) He is white.
(b) He is former addict.
(c) He is black.
(d) He is male.
5. In Part III of the book, whose desk is near McCall's and they become friends?
Short Answer Questions
1. The total mortgage and child support McCall has to pay after the divorce in Chapter 41 is how much?
2. What is the name of the black civil rights leader in Chapter 33 that gives McCall a hard time?
3. Chapter 25 opens with McCall entering what?
4. After the birth of his daughter, McCall gives in to pressure to do what?
5. In Part III of the book, McCall is glad mothers are not using the names of _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does McCall like about Islam according to Chapter 26?
2. How does McCall proceed with the advice he got from Milton regarding his prison record during the Washington Post interview?
3. How does the fellowship program in Missouri help McCall deal with his racial sensitivity?
4. Why doesn't McCall trust anyone at the Virginia Pilot-Ledger Star where he works?
5. What happens in Chapter 40 when McCall is challenged by another driver?
6. How does Stanley's visit become a turning point for McCall and the drug scene?
7. How is McCall's life after being released from St Brides like starting life over?
8. In Chapter 35, how is McCall fitting into the mainstream?
9. Why do Debbie and McCall work on staying married?
10. How does McCall's reaction to the watermelon eating contest assignment reflect his racial sensitivity?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)