|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 39, McCall describes his participation in a minorities and workplace racism fellowship which was held at which university?
(d) Southern California.
2. In Part III of the book, this co-worker, whom McCall befriends, is of what faith?
3. When McCall is confronted about leaving his prison record off of his application, what does he do in Chapter 39?
(a) Withdraws from consideration.
(b) Tells them it should not matter.
(c) Pretends he made a mistake.
(d) Asks for a chance to be heard.
4. Who moves to California, taking McCall's son with them, in Chapter 30?
5. McCall describes how he is so racially sensitive he can not enjoy an assignment covering what kind of contest?
(a) Cotton picking.
(b) Watermelon eating.
(d) Corn husking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pressures McCall to marry the young woman he is seeing who is having trouble at her job because of feelings of inferiority?
2. In Chapter 34, McCall moves out and begins doing what?
3. After McCall is challenged by someone in Chapter 40, what does he do?
4. In Chapter 32, McCall has fathered another child; what is the name that the baby's mother has picked for this child?
5. In Chapter 24, what is the name of the person McCall talks about who shoots someone in the back over a basketball game?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Chapter 40 when McCall is challenged by another driver?
2. Why does McCall enjoy the small things in Chapter 24?
3. How does McCall proceed with the advice he got from Milton regarding his prison record during the Washington Post interview?
4. How does Stanley's visit become a turning point for McCall and the drug scene?
5. Later, in Chapter 34, McCall pressures Debbie to abort their second child but why is McCall glad the abortion did not happen?
6. In Part III, what relationship does McCall have with his editor?
7. How does the fellowship program in Missouri help McCall deal with his racial sensitivity?
8. What happens when McCall deals with the question of whether to abort his own child and an assignment in Chapter 31?
9. What happens with the divorce from Debbie in Chapter 41?
10. Why are Debbie's parents happy about the pregnancy, while McCall's parents are not in Chapter 32?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)