|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, the reader discovers that McCall was jealous of his grandmother's affections while she worked as what for a Jewish family?
2. While at St. Brides, McCall learns what trade?
(a) Steel work.
(b) Iron work.
3. Turning to armed robbery in Chapter 11, McCall takes several things from his victims, except what?
4. In Chapter 23, McCall is considering a career in either journalism or what?
5. What is the name of the school McCall's parents move him back to after he did not fit in at the white junior high school?
(b) W.E. Waters.
(c) J.L. Phillips.
(d) G.T. McClean.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 4, how many blocks is the walk to the black junior high school near McCall's home in the new black housing development?
2. At St. Brides, McCall is near his home and can have more what?
3. Besides rumbles between gangs, another common occurrence is fighting whom, according to McCall?
4. In Chapter 3, McCall talks about his family, including his two full bothers whose names are what?
5. In Chapter 16, McCall and his son's mother run a scam that besides them affects other peoples what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McCall dislike his stepfather's behavior with white people?
2. In Chapter 19, how and why do McCall's inmates decorate their cells?
3. What happens with Plaz and how is McCall's stepfather involved?
4. McCall's relationship with Elisabeth Miller keeps him off the streets but raises a different issue. Explain.
5. When several of McCall's friends decide to drop out of school, why does McCall stay in school?
6. What does the Cadillac symbolize for McCall's stepfather in Chapter 10 and how does it affect McCall?
7. When the new housing development is built for blacks, what does McCall describe as the stated goal and the perceived goal for this project?
8. How does McCall's advancing knowledge from Jim in Chapter 22 affect McCall's perception of blacks and education?
9. Why does McCall feel he should have acted differently when he refuses work while on a prison type plantation in Chapter 19?
10. How does McCall use his new "power" of the gun when chased by group that has beaten him, and how does he feel?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)