|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to McCall in Chapter 9, after a boy is killed, who arrives in town with plans for war?
(a) The NAACP.
(b) The Army Reserve.
(c) More rival gangs.
(d) The Black Panthers.
2. Feeling the power of the gun after shooting at a gang chasing him, McCall goes home in Part I and almost confesses all he has done to whom?
(a) His stepfather.
(b) His youngest full brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His gandmother.
3. Who, according to McCall in Chapter 10, backs up his alibi when McCall needs one?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His oldest brother.
(d) His girlfriend.
4. How old was McCall's mother when she began her relationship with McCall's biological father?
5. Whatever McCall sells from the armed robberies is because he does not want it or because what?
(a) His parents might find it.
(b) It's to "hot" to keep.
(c) He does not like it.
(d) It does not fit.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, McCall describes how he begins hustling people and then what?
2. In Chapter 7, McCall likens all the fighting between groups, gangs, and others as what?
3. In Part I of the book, McCall recalls a moment when this person grabbed one of his brothers and told them to "stop acting like a nigger." Who is this person?
4. What kind of vehicle does McCall's stepfather drive that is also a cause for tension at McCall's job?
5. When the family arrives at their new home in 1964, McCall's stepfather works full-time and does lawn work part-time to support the family, after retiring from where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do McCall and his stepfather clash about work in Chapter 10?
2. In Part I of the book, why does McCall think a junior high school was built near the black housing development?
3. Early in Part I of the book, McCall presents his "understanding" about white people which is what?
4. How does McCall's advancing knowledge from Jim in Chapter 22 affect McCall's perception of blacks and education?
5. According to McCall in Chapter 6, why does he expect that his mother should have talked to her boys about sex?
6. Why is McCall relieved when he is realizes he will have to serve at least 18 months in jail of his sentence of several years for robbing McDonald's?
7. What happens with Plaz and how is McCall's stepfather involved?
8. In Chapter 5, how is McCall affected after being caught shoplifting?
9. McCall's relationship with Elisabeth Miller keeps him off the streets but raises a different issue. Explain.
10. While driving around after graduation and not finding place to meet up with friends, what does McCall mean when he cites this driving around as an analogy of his life at this point?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)