|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, as McCall's successful criminal activities increase, the youngsters in his neighborhood ____ him.
(b) Pay attention to.
2. What is the name of the boy in Part I of the book that McCall and others think is dead, only to find him alive and at home when they return to their neighborhood?
(c) Bryan Keith.
(d) Prairie Dog.
3. In Chapter 23, McCall is introduced to the fundamentals of what religion?
(a) Christian Sceince.
4. In Chapter 23, the college responds to McCall, telling him to do what?
(a) Try again next semester.
(b) Send his transcripts.
(c) Seek help elsewhere.
(d) Enter a contest.
5. Besides rumbles between gangs, another common occurrence is fighting whom, according to McCall?
Short Answer Questions
1. McCall meets a man named Moses Battle who teaches MCall how to do what?
2. After losing his job, McCall is soon looking for opportunities to do what?
3. In one of the clashes between the poor white neighborhood and the new black housing development, what happens to a young black girl?
4. What is McCall doing in Chapter 15 while his relationships with family deteriorate and McCall becomes more paranoid?
5. McCall is fired from what kind of job after a confrontation with a supervisor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Plaz and how is McCall's stepfather involved?
2. Why do McCall and his stepfather clash about work in Chapter 10?
3. Why does McCall refer to the fighting of whites and among groups and gangs, in Chapter 7 as "dress rehearsal?"
4. Early in Part I of the book, McCall presents his "understanding" about white people which is what?
5. When the new housing development is built for blacks, what does McCall describe as the stated goal and the perceived goal for this project?
6. Why does McCall dislike his stepfather's behavior with white people?
7. What does McCall realize about his life after Moses Battle teaches him how to play chess in Chapter 17?
8. In Part I of the book, why does McCall think a junior high school was built near the black housing development?
9. How does McCall's advancing knowledge from Jim in Chapter 22 affect McCall's perception of blacks and education?
10. How does McCall relate what happens with the manual prison labor in Chapter 19 with his stepfather's teachings?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)