|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Looking for something else after the scam in Chapter 16, McCall robs a McDonald's and is sentenced to how many years?
2. Feeling the power of the gun after shooting at a gang chasing him, McCall goes home in Part I and almost confesses all he has done to whom?
(a) His stepfather.
(b) His gandmother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His youngest full brother.
3. McCall vows to do what he can to help but has no idea what to do when his girlfriend tells him what?
(a) Her parents are divorcing.
(b) She wants an abortion.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is sick.
4. In Part I of the book, McCall recalls a moment when this person grabbed one of his brothers and told them to "stop acting like a nigger." Who is this person?
(a) McCall's mother.
(b) McCall's oldest brother.
(c) A school teacher.
(d) McCall's stepfather.
5. After McCall and his friends beat the young man in Chapter 1, what does McCall admit he feared for a moment?
(a) Having his parents find out.
(b) That the victim was dead.
(c) Being arrested.
(d) Not getting in enough hits.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even being on the honor roll and adults pulling for his academic success is not enough to pull McCall from his old life, so in Chapter 14 McCall describes going to his college classes ___ or not showing up at all.
2. After losing his job, McCall is soon looking for opportunities to do what?
3. In Chapter 2, readers discover that many feel the new housing development for blacks was created not to provide equal housing but for what?
4. After someone McCall knows is shot by a homeowner while breaking into a home, what does McCall do?
5. In Part I of the book, McCall reveals that the reason he starts to steal is not for anything he needs but rather for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Plaz and how is McCall's stepfather involved?
2. In Chapter 5, how is McCall affected after being caught shoplifting?
3. Why do McCall and his stepfather clash about work in Chapter 10?
4. Why does McCall dislike his stepfather's behavior with white people?
5. Why is McCall relieved when he is realizes he will have to serve at least 18 months in jail of his sentence of several years for robbing McDonald's?
6. In Chapter 22, why is McCall hurt by his friends' actions while he is in prison?
7. Why does McCall feel he should have acted differently when he refuses work while on a prison type plantation in Chapter 19?
8. While driving around after graduation and not finding place to meet up with friends, what does McCall mean when he cites this driving around as an analogy of his life at this point?
9. In Chapter ,4 McCall is now in a black junior high school, but he is still the new kid; what are some things he does to help him fit in?
10. What does McCall realize about his life after Moses Battle teaches him how to play chess in Chapter 17?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)