|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After McCall does what the college tells him to do in Chapter 23, McCall ____ a year's tuition.
(c) Gets waived.
2. In 1964, McCall and his family move into a new housing development called what?
(a) Academy Manor.
(b) Cavalier Park.
(c) Academy Park.
(d) Cavalier Manor.
3. After losing his job, McCall is soon looking for opportunities to do what?
(a) Help at home.
4. In the neighborhood junior high school, McCall learns about putting down others as a competitive conversation called what?
(c) One upmanship.
(d) The dozens.
5. In Chapter 10, what does McCall successfully do with an ice cream truck?
(a) Steal it.
(b) Paint it.
(c) Drive it.
(d) Work the route.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl crowned homecoming queen in Chapter 13?
2. The young boy attacked in Chapter 1 is riding what when he is attacked?
3. In Chapter 23, McCall finds himself transferred to St. Bride's which is what type of place?
4. Looking for something else after the scam in Chapter 16, McCall robs a McDonald's and is sentenced to how many years?
5. In Chapter 3, the reader discovers that McCall was jealous of his grandmother's affections while she worked as what for a Jewish family?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the new housing development is built for blacks, what does McCall describe as the stated goal and the perceived goal for this project?
2. What happens with Plaz and how is McCall's stepfather involved?
3. When several of McCall's friends decide to drop out of school, why does McCall stay in school?
4. In Chapter 19, how and why do McCall's inmates decorate their cells?
5. How does McCall relate what happens with the manual prison labor in Chapter 19 with his stepfather's teachings?
6. In Part I, McCall describes the power he gets from having a gun. How does this affect him?
7. While driving around after graduation and not finding place to meet up with friends, what does McCall mean when he cites this driving around as an analogy of his life at this point?
8. In the opening chapter when McCall, along with others, is beating the young white boy, what is going on in McCall's head?
9. In Chapter 22, why is McCall hurt by his friends' actions while he is in prison?
10. What does McCall realize about his life after Moses Battle teaches him how to play chess in Chapter 17?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)