|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the family arrives at their new home in 1964, McCall's stepfather works full-time and does lawn work part-time to support the family, after retiring from where?
(a) The Coast Guard.
(b) The Air Force.
(c) The Navy.
(d) The Army.
2. McCall is fired from what kind of job after a confrontation with a supervisor?
(b) Lawn Service.
3. In Chapter ,1 McCall and his friends are what age when they attack another young boy?
(a) Elementary school age.
(d) Middle school age.
4. In Chapter 9, McCall and his friends' ongoing feud with one group is interrupted by a new threat from where?
(a) Within the new housing development.
(c) Academy Park.
(d) The new white junior high.
5. As the new kid in the black junior high school, McCall is introduced to the term "getting clean" which means what?
(a) Dressing in the coolest fads.
(b) Letting go of false friends.
(c) Telling the truth.
(d) Taking a bath.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 23, McCall is introduced to the fundamentals of what religion?
2. In Chapter 23, what is the name of the former teacher McCall encounters and wishes to tell that his lessons made a difference?
3. What does McCall reveal to enjoy about school besides the reason he gives his friends for staying in school?
4. Why does McCall start ignoring his friends after he is named homecoming king?
5. In what year does McCall briefly attend a white junior high school for purposes of integration?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does McCall respond after going to a party in a hostile neighborhood unarmed with his friends and losing one of their own after fleeing shots from rival group?
2. In Chapter 11, McCall is hustling people and breaking into homes; why does he stop?
3. What does McCall fear about his kids from Debbie and what does he do about it, according to Chapter 34?
4. What happens when McCall deals with the question of whether to abort his own child and an assignment in Chapter 31?
5. Why do Debbie and McCall work on staying married?
6. While driving around after graduation and not finding place to meet up with friends, what does McCall mean when he cites this driving around as an analogy of his life at this point?
7. Why do McCall and his stepfather clash about work in Chapter 10?
8. Why is McCall relieved when he is realizes he will have to serve at least 18 months in jail of his sentence of several years for robbing McDonald's?
9. In Chapter 22, why is McCall hurt by his friends' actions while he is in prison?
10. In Part I of the book, why does McCall think a junior high school was built near the black housing development?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)