|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 4, how many blocks is the walk to the black junior high school near McCall's home in the new black housing development?
2. From where is McCall released in February 1978?
(a) Military duty.
(b) Current newspaper assignment.
(c) Medical supervision.
3. In Chapter 2, readers find that the new black housing development is separated from the poor white neighborhood by what?
(b) A highway.
(c) A swale.
4. Why does McCall start ignoring his friends after he is named homecoming king?
(a) He is in love.
(b) He gets a job.
(c) He goes to a different school.
(d) He moves away.
5. In one of the clashes between the poor white neighborhood and the new black housing development, what happens to a young black girl?
(a) She dies.
(b) She suffers permanent brain damage.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She gets lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 23, McCall is considering a career in either journalism or what?
2. Even being on the honor roll and adults pulling for his academic success is not enough to pull McCall from his old life, so in Chapter 14 McCall describes going to his college classes ___ or not showing up at all.
3. According to McCall in Chapter 13, who is liked by his parents for keeping him off the streets?
4. After McCall does what the college tells him to do in Chapter 23, McCall ____ a year's tuition.
5. In Chapter 17, McCall is taken to this place and McCall notes that how you enter this place says a lot about you; what is this place?
Short Essay Questions
1. McCall's relationship with Elisabeth Miller keeps him off the streets but raises a different issue. Explain.
2. What happens in Chapter 40 when McCall is challenged by another driver?
3. What happens when McCall deals with the question of whether to abort his own child and an assignment in Chapter 31?
4. Why do Debbie and McCall work on staying married?
5. What scam do Elisabeth and McCall run in Chapter 15?
6. In Part I, McCall describes the power he gets from having a gun. How does this affect him?
7. Why is McCall relieved when he is realizes he will have to serve at least 18 months in jail of his sentence of several years for robbing McDonald's?
8. When several of McCall's friends decide to drop out of school, why does McCall stay in school?
9. In Chapter 19, how and why do McCall's inmates decorate their cells?
10. In Chapter 5, how is McCall affected after being caught shoplifting?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)