|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to McCall in Chapter 21, who has the men's hormones in turmoil and he hates them for this sexual tension?
(a) His ex-girlfriend.
(b) A female teacher.
(c) A gay man.
(d) A female nurse.
2. What is McCall doing in Chapter 15 while his relationships with family deteriorate and McCall becomes more paranoid?
(a) Doing jail time.
(b) Working and going to school.
(c) Working two jobs.
(d) Doing drugs.
3. After McCall and his friends beat the young man in Chapter 1, what does McCall admit he feared for a moment?
(a) Having his parents find out.
(b) Not getting in enough hits.
(c) That the victim was dead.
(d) Being arrested.
4. In Chapter 2, readers find that the new black housing development is separated from the poor white neighborhood by what?
(b) A swale.
(c) A highway.
5. McCall briefly turns to selling drugs but stops, admitting in Chapter 15 that besides the pitfalls McCall can't track what well enough to make money?
(a) The cops.
(b) The product.
(c) The people.
(d) The money.
Short Answer Questions
1. McCall learns a lot from a man named Jim who has been _______ for more than a decade.
2. What year did McCall's mother begin her relationship with McCall's biological father?
3. In 1964, McCall and his family move into a new housing development called what?
4. According to McCall in Chapter 13, who is liked by his parents for keeping him off the streets?
5. Turning to armed robbery in Chapter 11, McCall takes several things from his victims, except what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McCall dislike his stepfather's behavior with white people?
2. McCall describes his experience with a "train" being run on someone he cares about. How does McCall feel about this and what leads up to this event?
3. In the opening chapter when McCall, along with others, is beating the young white boy, what is going on in McCall's head?
4. In Chapter 20 and 21, how do McCall's encounters with women affect him?
5. Why is McCall relieved when he is realizes he will have to serve at least 18 months in jail of his sentence of several years for robbing McDonald's?
6. From Chapter 23, how does McCall's behavior indicate his new found realization that he needs to take actions for the long term?
7. Early in Part I of the book, McCall presents his "understanding" about white people which is what?
8. What does the Cadillac symbolize for McCall's stepfather in Chapter 10 and how does it affect McCall?
9. How does McCall's advancing knowledge from Jim in Chapter 22 affect McCall's perception of blacks and education?
10. In Part I, McCall describes the power he gets from having a gun. How does this affect him?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)