|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, McCall is severely beaten by whom?
(a) The Streers.
(b) The Cherry Boys.
(c) The Bombers.
(d) The Downtown Crew.
2. In Chapter 3, McCall talks about his family, including his two full bothers whose names are what?
(a) Junnie and Dwight.
(b) Bryan Keith and Billy.
(c) Billy and Junnie.
(d) Billy and Dwight.
3. In Part I of the book, McCall recalls a moment when this person grabbed one of his brothers and told them to "stop acting like a nigger." Who is this person?
(a) McCall's mother.
(b) McCall's oldest brother.
(c) A school teacher.
(d) McCall's stepfather.
4. In Chapter 12, McCall looks at what movie/show and how it affects young black men?
(a) Leave it to Beaver.
(c) My Three Sons.
5. Besides McCall's brothers, stepfather and mother, who else lives with the family when they move into their new housing development home?
Short Answer Questions
1. McCall points out that eventually the young boys will give up their fist fighting in favor of what?
2. In Chapter 2, readers discover that many feel the new housing development for blacks was created not to provide equal housing but for what?
3. Even being on the honor roll and adults pulling for his academic success is not enough to pull McCall from his old life, so in Chapter 14 McCall describes going to his college classes ___ or not showing up at all.
4. In Chapter 23, what is the name of the former teacher McCall encounters and wishes to tell that his lessons made a difference?
5. McCall is fired from what kind of job after a confrontation with a supervisor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McCall refer to the fighting of whites and among groups and gangs, in Chapter 7 as "dress rehearsal?"
2. From Chapter 23, how does McCall's behavior indicate his new found realization that he needs to take actions for the long term?
3. In Chapter 5, how is McCall affected after being caught shoplifting?
4. According to McCall in Chapter 6, why does he expect that his mother should have talked to her boys about sex?
5. In Chapter 20 and 21, how do McCall's encounters with women affect him?
6. What happens with Plaz and how is McCall's stepfather involved?
7. In Chapter 11, McCall is hustling people and breaking into homes; why does he stop?
8. Why does McCall dislike his stepfather's behavior with white people?
9. In Part I of the book, why does McCall think a junior high school was built near the black housing development?
10. In Chapter 22, why is McCall hurt by his friends' actions while he is in prison?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)