|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 17, McCall is taken to this place and McCall notes that how you enter this place says a lot about you; what is this place?
(b) New School.
(d) New assignment.
2. According to McCall in Chapter 13, who is liked by his parents for keeping him off the streets?
(a) His best friend.
3. In Chapter 14, McCall considers that he got a light sentence for shooting a man because the man's life was worth so little and because McCall did so well in what?
(a) First year of college.
(b) Raising his son.
(c) Keeping a job.
(d) Helping his parents.
4. In Chapter 5, McCall is sent into the juvenile court system after he is caught doing what with his friends?
(a) Vandalizing school property.
(d) Skipping school.
5. As McCall learns more about what process, he finally makes a career choice?
(d) Business systems.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides McCall's brothers, stepfather and mother, who else lives with the family when they move into their new housing development home?
2. As the new kid in the black junior high school, McCall is introduced to the term "getting clean" which means what?
3. McCall points out that eventually the young boys will give up their fist fighting in favor of what?
4. In Chapter 11, McCall describes how he begins hustling people and then what?
5. Who is assaulted by several guys before she and McCall consummate the act?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Plaz and how is McCall's stepfather involved?
2. In Part I, why does McCall envy the dirty white children running around in a restaurant?
3. Why are Debbie's parents happy about the pregnancy, while McCall's parents are not in Chapter 32?
4. What does McCall realize about his life after Moses Battle teaches him how to play chess in Chapter 17?
5. How does Debbie's mom respond to the African name chosen for their first son and why does McCall insist on the African name?
6. Why does McCall feel he is bringing another child into a world of pain and strife (Chapter 32)?
7. Why do McCall and his stepfather clash about work in Chapter 10?
8. Later, in Chapter 34, McCall pressures Debbie to abort their second child but why is McCall glad the abortion did not happen?
9. McCall describes his experience with a "train" being run on someone he cares about. How does McCall feel about this and what leads up to this event?
10. In Chapter ,4 McCall is now in a black junior high school, but he is still the new kid; what are some things he does to help him fit in?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)