|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1988, who quits the Atlanta Journal-Constitution because of a disagreement with the "bigwigs?"
2. In 1981, McCall begins a job with what newspaper?
(a) The Washington Post.
(b) The Spartan Echo.
(c) The Portsmouth Courier.
(d) The Virginia Pilot-Ledger Star.
3. In Chapter 39, McCall interviews for a job with what newspaper?
(a) The Portsmouth Courier.
(b) The Virginia Pilot-Ledger Star.
(c) The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
(d) The Washington Post.
4. Who is upset about the name McCall chooses in Chapter 32 for his son?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His mother.
(c) The grandfather.
(d) The maternal grandmother.
5. Whose advice did McCall take when going to his boss to reveal his prison record, as noted at the end of Chapter 39?
(a) Milton Coleman.
(b) Tom Lippman.
(c) Professor Grant.
(d) Bill Kovach.
6. After arriving home from St. Brides, McCall makes arrangements to see whom but feels awkward around this person?
7. In Part III of the book, McCall is glad mothers are not using the names of _____.
(c) The English.
8. According to McCall in Chapter 25, who is diagnosed with a terminal illness and kills himself and his wife?
9. Who is Danny Baum?
(a) A white journalist.
(b) McCall's neighbor.
(c) McCall's boss.
(d) A local politician.
10. When McCall is confronted about leaving his prison record off of his application, what does he do in Chapter 39?
(a) Asks for a chance to be heard.
(b) Tells them it should not matter.
(c) Pretends he made a mistake.
(d) Withdraws from consideration.
11. In Chapter 24, McCall describes how he has come to appreciate the small things, after arriving home from St. Bride's with whom?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His stepfather.
12. McCall describes how he is so racially sensitive he can not enjoy an assignment covering what kind of contest?
(a) Watermelon eating.
(b) Corn husking.
(d) Cotton picking.
13. Which brother, according to McCall in Chapter 40, continues to drain his parents' resources?
14. In Chapter 30, McCall begins to connect with whom but then this person has to move?
15. McCall is challenged one day while he is out doing what, as noted in Chapter 40?
(a) Working an assignment.
(b) Hanging with his buddies.
Short Answer Questions
1. After this person's trial, McCall found a note on his door telling him to give them money or the note writer would tell the "man" about McCall.
2. Once hired by the newspaper, McCall describes being uncomfortable working what assignment?
3. As part of the divorce in Chapter 41, how much is the monthly child support?
4. After St. Brides, McCall notes that he understands why so many return to prison so quickly after freedom because jail provides jail, housing, and ___ for inmates.
5. Disgusted with the low pay of his job, this visiting friend decides to do what instead?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)