|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After St. Brides, McCall notes that he understands why so many return to prison so quickly after freedom because jail provides jail, housing, and ___ for inmates.
(d) Job training.
2. To whom is McCall married and they agree to remain so despite problems, according to McCall in Chapter 38?
3. In Part II of the book, McCall reflects on why many return to jail withing first ___ years of release.
4. Besides McCall's friends, who helps raise bail money in Chapter 42?
(c) His parents.
5. In Chapter 38, after a change in the newspaper McCall receives what?
(a) A warning.
(b) A pay cut.
(c) A demotion.
(d) A promotion.
6. When having lunch with a white person, McCall notes that he never orders what?
(c) Collard greens.
7. Who pressures McCall to marry the young woman he is seeing who is having trouble at her job because of feelings of inferiority?
(a) His friends.
(b) The Muslims.
(c) Local church leaders.
(d) Her parents.
8. After the divorce in Chapter 41, McCall receives a call from where about a job interview?
(a) The Portsmouth Courier.
(b) The Washington Post.
(c) The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
(d) The Virginia Pilot-Ledger Star.
9. During dinner with program fellows, McCall shares what information with them and they all part closer than they were before?
(a) His prison record.
(b) His racial sensitivity.
(c) His desire to be an editor.
(d) His fear white management.
10. McCall has finished his probation, and according to Chapter 31, has a job offer where?
11. Whose high school graduation does McCall note in Chapter 43?
(a) His grandchild.
(b) His oldest daughter.
(d) His own.
12. Whose advice did McCall take when going to his boss to reveal his prison record, as noted at the end of Chapter 39?
(a) Professor Grant.
(b) Tom Lippman.
(c) Bill Kovach.
(d) Milton Coleman.
13. After arriving home from St. Brides, McCall makes arrangements to see whom but feels awkward around this person?
14. In Chapter 31, McCall begins dating what girl who becomes pregnant after a few months?
15. After St. Brides, McCall has a probation officer constantly telling him what?
(a) Stay out of trouble.
(b) Get a job.
(c) Get your own place.
(d) He does not like him.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the birth of his daughter, McCall gives in to pressure to do what?
2. According to McCall in Chapter 25, who is diagnosed with a terminal illness and kills himself and his wife?
3. In Chapter 39, McCall interviews for a job with what newspaper?
4. In Part III of the book, McCall is glad mothers are not using the names of _____.
5. In Chapter 34, the mother of McCall's kids threatens to move back to where?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)