|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. McCall points out that eventually the young boys will give up their fist fighting in favor of what?
2. According to McCall in Chapter 13, who is liked by his parents for keeping him off the streets?
(b) His best friend.
3. In the neighborhood junior high school, McCall learns about putting down others as a competitive conversation called what?
(a) The dozens.
(d) One upmanship.
4. What is the name of the boy shot in McCall's front yard?
(b) Prairie Dog.
5. Because his parents can not afford anything different, McCall chooses to go to what college?
(b) Old Dominion.
(c) Norfolk State.
6. In Chapter 5, McCall is sent into the juvenile court system after he is caught doing what with his friends?
(b) Vandalizing school property.
(d) Skipping school.
7. In Chapter 2, readers discover that many feel the new housing development for blacks was created not to provide equal housing but for what?
(a) Provide new homes for blacks.
(b) Boost the political image of supporting politicians.
(c) Use contaminated land no one else wanted to develop.
(d) Confine blacks to a specific neighborhood.
8. McCall learns a lot from a man named Jim who has been _______ for more than a decade.
(d) Military service.
9. In Chapter 3, the reader discovers that McCall was jealous of his grandmother's affections while she worked as what for a Jewish family?
10. When McCall writes to the college in Chapter 23, he explains his situation and asks for what?
(a) A job.
(b) An internship.
(c) Current catalogs.
(d) A new start.
11. Besides McCall's brothers, stepfather and mother, who else lives with the family when they move into their new housing development home?
12. In Chapter 23, what is the name of the former teacher McCall encounters and wishes to tell that his lessons made a difference?
13. In Chapter 18, McCall is able to discover literature relevant to his life and pass the time, when he is in what place?
(a) Visiting professor's class.
(b) Courthouse law library.
(c) Prison library.
(d) Local museum.
14. What kind of vehicle does McCall's stepfather drive that is also a cause for tension at McCall's job?
(a) An Oldsmobile.
(b) An Eldorado.
(c) A work truck.
(d) A Cadillac.
15. In Chapter 14, McCall considers that he got a light sentence for shooting a man because the man's life was worth so little and because McCall did so well in what?
(a) Helping his parents.
(b) Raising his son.
(c) Keeping a job.
(d) First year of college.
Short Answer Questions
1. The young boy attacked in Chapter 1 is riding what when he is attacked?
2. In Chapter 16, McCall and his son's mother run a scam that besides them affects other peoples what?
3. In Chapter 23, McCall is introduced to the fundamentals of what religion?
4. In Part I of the book, McCall recalls a moment when this person grabbed one of his brothers and told them to "stop acting like a nigger." Who is this person?
5. In Chapter 9, McCall and his friends' ongoing feud with one group is interrupted by a new threat from where?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)