|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does McCall shoot in the chest after he taunt's McCall's son's mother?
2. As the new kid in the black junior high school, McCall is introduced to the term "getting clean" which means what?
(a) Dressing in the coolest fads.
(b) Taking a bath.
(c) Telling the truth.
(d) Letting go of false friends.
3. In Chapter 9, McCall and his friends' ongoing feud with one group is interrupted by a new threat from where?
(a) Academy Park.
(b) The new white junior high.
(d) Within the new housing development.
4. In Part I of the book, McCall recalls a moment when this person grabbed one of his brothers and told them to "stop acting like a nigger." Who is this person?
(a) A school teacher.
(b) McCall's stepfather.
(c) McCall's oldest brother.
(d) McCall's mother.
5. While at St. Brides, McCall learns what trade?
(b) Steel work.
(c) Iron work.
6. In Chapter 2, readers find that the new black housing development is separated from the poor white neighborhood by what?
(a) A swale.
(d) A highway.
7. In Chapter 18, McCall is able to discover literature relevant to his life and pass the time, when he is in what place?
(a) Prison library.
(b) Local museum.
(c) Visiting professor's class.
(d) Courthouse law library.
8. What is the name of the school McCall's parents move him back to after he did not fit in at the white junior high school?
(a) J.L. Phillips.
(b) W.E. Waters.
(d) G.T. McClean.
9. What is the name of the book that eventually turns McCall on to religion?
(a) The Rebel Jesus.
(b) Malcolm X.
(c) The Bible.
(d) As a Man Thinketh.
10. In Chapter 3, the reader discovers that McCall was jealous of his grandmother's affections while she worked as what for a Jewish family?
11. Who is the person that visits McCall and McCall becomes concerned for this person's health?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His youngest sibling.
(d) His son.
12. In Chapter 12, McCall looks at what movie/show and how it affects young black men?
(c) Leave it to Beaver.
(d) My Three Sons.
13. In Chapter 8, McCall is severely beaten by whom?
(a) The Bombers.
(b) The Streers.
(c) The Cherry Boys.
(d) The Downtown Crew.
14. What does McCall reveal to enjoy about school besides the reason he gives his friends for staying in school?
15. In Chapter 22, McCall comes to realize that many blacks feel education has nothing to do with them so they do what?
(a) Act out in school.
(b) Drop out of public school.
(c) Challenge the system.
(d) Commit crimes.
Short Answer Questions
1. McCall points out that eventually the young boys will give up their fist fighting in favor of what?
2. How old was McCall's mother when she began her relationship with McCall's biological father?
3. After July 19, 1973, McCall is soon accepted into how many colleges?
4. In Chapter 11, McCall describes how he begins hustling people and then what?
5. In Chapter 20, McCall is hurt when the mother of his son announces she is doing what?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)