|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, McCall is sent into the juvenile court system after he is caught doing what with his friends?
(b) Skipping school.
(d) Vandalizing school property.
2. After McCall does what the college tells him to do in Chapter 23, McCall ____ a year's tuition.
(b) Gets waived.
3. Who does McCall ask to marry him but he is moved to Southampton before the ceremony can take place?
4. McCall learns a lot from a man named Jim who has been _______ for more than a decade.
(d) Military service.
5. How old is McCall's mother by the time she has birthed three sons?
6. When McCall writes to the college in Chapter 23, he explains his situation and asks for what?
(a) An internship.
(b) A job.
(c) A new start.
(d) Current catalogs.
7. In Part I of the book, McCall reveals that the reason he starts to steal is not for anything he needs but rather for what?
(a) Because his friends wanted him to do it.
(b) To fit in.
(c) A rite of passage.
(d) Because his friends did it.
8. In Chapter 20, McCall is hurt when the mother of his son announces she is doing what?
(a) Putting their son up for adoption.
(b) Seeing someone else.
(c) Filing for divorce.
9. The young boy attacked in Chapter 1 is riding what when he is attacked?
(a) A skateboard.
(b) The bus.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) A scooter.
10. What is the name of the boy shot in McCall's front yard?
(c) Prairie Dog.
11. In one of the clashes between the poor white neighborhood and the new black housing development, what happens to a young black girl?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She dies.
(c) She gets lost.
(d) She suffers permanent brain damage.
12. Even being on the honor roll and adults pulling for his academic success is not enough to pull McCall from his old life, so in Chapter 14 McCall describes going to his college classes ___ or not showing up at all.
13. In Chapter 21, McCall writes about his sexual frustration, describing how rival gangs even fight over someone whose name is what?
14. In Chapter 17, McCall is taken to this place and McCall notes that how you enter this place says a lot about you; what is this place?
(b) New School.
(c) New assignment.
15. What is the name of the boy in Part I of the book that McCall and others think is dead, only to find him alive and at home when they return to their neighborhood?
(c) Prairie Dog.
(d) Bryan Keith.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, as McCall's successful criminal activities increase, the youngsters in his neighborhood ____ him.
2. In Chapter 23, McCall is introduced to the fundamentals of what religion?
3. What is the name of the book that eventually turns McCall on to religion?
4. McCall points out that eventually the young boys will give up their fist fighting in favor of what?
5. McCall briefly turns to selling drugs but stops, admitting in Chapter 15 that besides the pitfalls McCall can't track what well enough to make money?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)