|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year did McCall's mother begin her relationship with McCall's biological father?
2. According to McCall in Chapter 23, after making his career choice, he writes to what college?
(b) Old Dominion.
3. In Chapter 23, McCall finds himself transferred to St. Bride's which is what type of place?
(a) A private religious compound.
(b) A military installation.
(c) A new up and coming newspaper.
(d) A minimum security prison.
4. Even being on the honor roll and adults pulling for his academic success is not enough to pull McCall from his old life, so in Chapter 14 McCall describes going to his college classes ___ or not showing up at all.
5. At St. Brides, McCall is near his home and can have more what?
6. Besides McCall's brothers, stepfather and mother, who else lives with the family when they move into their new housing development home?
7. How old was McCall's mother when she began her relationship with McCall's biological father?
8. How many bedrooms does the new housing development home have?
9. McCall learns a lot from a man named Jim who has been _______ for more than a decade.
(d) Military service.
10. According to Chapter 4, how many blocks is the walk to the black junior high school near McCall's home in the new black housing development?
11. In Chapter 14, McCall considers that he got a light sentence for shooting a man because the man's life was worth so little and because McCall did so well in what?
(a) Helping his parents.
(b) Raising his son.
(c) Keeping a job.
(d) First year of college.
12. In Chapter 9, McCall and his friends' ongoing feud with one group is interrupted by a new threat from where?
(a) Academy Park.
(b) The new white junior high.
(d) Within the new housing development.
13. In Chapter 8, McCall is severely beaten by whom?
(a) The Bombers.
(b) The Streers.
(c) The Downtown Crew.
(d) The Cherry Boys.
14. As the new kid in the black junior high school, McCall is introduced to the term "getting clean" which means what?
(a) Telling the truth.
(b) Dressing in the coolest fads.
(c) Taking a bath.
(d) Letting go of false friends.
15. In Chapter 20, McCall is hurt when the mother of his son announces she is doing what?
(a) Putting their son up for adoption.
(b) Seeing someone else.
(c) Filing for divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. The wealthier side of the new black housing development is separated from a poorer white neighborhood which is called what?
2. In one of the clashes between the poor white neighborhood and the new black housing development, what happens to a young black girl?
3. Why does McCall start ignoring his friends after he is named homecoming king?
4. In Part I of the book, McCall reveals that the reason he starts to steal is not for anything he needs but rather for what?
5. In Part I of the book, what is the name of the girl who teaches McCall that dancing can be fun?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)