|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to McCall in Chapter 13, who is liked by his parents for keeping him off the streets?
(c) His best friend.
2. In Part I of the book, McCall reveals that the reason he starts to steal is not for anything he needs but rather for what?
(a) Because his friends wanted him to do it.
(b) A rite of passage.
(c) Because his friends did it.
(d) To fit in.
3. In Chapter 21, McCall writes about his sexual frustration, describing how rival gangs even fight over someone whose name is what?
4. Because his parents can not afford anything different, McCall chooses to go to what college?
(b) Norfolk State.
(c) Old Dominion.
5. In Chapter 17, McCall is taken to this place and McCall notes that how you enter this place says a lot about you; what is this place?
(a) New assignment.
(d) New School.
6. When McCall writes to the college in Chapter 23, he explains his situation and asks for what?
(a) Current catalogs.
(b) A job.
(c) An internship.
(d) A new start.
7. In Chapter 5, McCall is sent into the juvenile court system after he is caught doing what with his friends?
(b) Skipping school.
(c) Vandalizing school property.
8. In Chapter 10, McCall talks about gifts under a Christmas tree that he ____.
(d) Drops off.
9. Feeling the power of the gun after shooting at a gang chasing him, McCall goes home in Part I and almost confesses all he has done to whom?
(a) His mother.
(b) His stepfather.
(c) His youngest full brother.
(d) His gandmother.
10. As the new kid in the black junior high school, McCall is introduced to the term "getting clean" which means what?
(a) Letting go of false friends.
(b) Telling the truth.
(c) Dressing in the coolest fads.
(d) Taking a bath.
11. In Chapter 22, McCall comes to realize that many blacks feel education has nothing to do with them so they do what?
(a) Drop out of public school.
(b) Act out in school.
(c) Commit crimes.
(d) Challenge the system.
12. Who, according to McCall in Chapter 10, backs up his alibi when McCall needs one?
(a) His oldest brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His girlfriend.
13. McCall learns a lot from a man named Jim who has been _______ for more than a decade.
(a) Military service.
14. In Chapter 7, McCall likens all the fighting between groups, gangs, and others as what?
(a) Dress Rehearsal.
(c) Rite of Passage.
(d) Having fun.
15. McCall is fired from what kind of job after a confrontation with a supervisor?
(c) Lawn Service.
Short Answer Questions
1. Looking for something else after the scam in Chapter 16, McCall robs a McDonald's and is sentenced to how many years?
2. In Chapter ,1 McCall and his friends are what age when they attack another young boy?
3. In Chapter 7, what is the name of the young man that fights McCall to "toughen" him up?
4. McCall briefly turns to selling drugs but stops, admitting in Chapter 15 that besides the pitfalls McCall can't track what well enough to make money?
5. While at St. Brides, McCall learns what trade?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)