|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was McCall's mother when she began her relationship with McCall's biological father?
2. In Chapter 7, what is the name of the young man that fights McCall to "toughen" him up?
(a) Prairie Dog.
3. What is the name of the girl crowned homecoming queen in Chapter 13?
4. In Chapter 11, McCall describes how he begins hustling people and then what?
(a) Hanging out with drug dealers.
(b) Breaking into homes.
(c) Encouraging his siblings to steal.
(d) Stealing from his parents.
5. In Chapter 17, McCall is taken to this place and McCall notes that how you enter this place says a lot about you; what is this place?
(b) New School.
(d) New assignment.
6. In Chapter 8, McCall is severely beaten by whom?
(a) The Bombers.
(b) The Streers.
(c) The Downtown Crew.
(d) The Cherry Boys.
7. In Chapter 10, what does McCall successfully do with an ice cream truck?
(a) Steal it.
(b) Work the route.
(c) Drive it.
(d) Paint it.
8. In Chapter 14 McCall makes the college honor roll with what grade point average?
9. McCall is fired from what kind of job after a confrontation with a supervisor?
(c) Lawn Service.
10. In one of the clashes between the poor white neighborhood and the new black housing development, what happens to a young black girl?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She gets lost.
(c) She dies.
(d) She suffers permanent brain damage.
11. Even being on the honor roll and adults pulling for his academic success is not enough to pull McCall from his old life, so in Chapter 14 McCall describes going to his college classes ___ or not showing up at all.
12. In Chapter 2, readers find that the new black housing development is separated from the poor white neighborhood by what?
(b) A swale.
(d) A highway.
13. Feeling the power of the gun after shooting at a gang chasing him, McCall goes home in Part I and almost confesses all he has done to whom?
(a) His mother.
(b) His stepfather.
(c) His youngest full brother.
(d) His gandmother.
14. In Part I of the book, McCall recalls a moment when this person grabbed one of his brothers and told them to "stop acting like a nigger." Who is this person?
(a) McCall's mother.
(b) McCall's stepfather.
(c) A school teacher.
(d) McCall's oldest brother.
15. According to McCall in Chapter 23, after making his career choice, he writes to what college?
(b) Old Dominion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is assaulted by several guys before she and McCall consummate the act?
2. In what year does McCall briefly attend a white junior high school for purposes of integration?
3. McCall learns a lot from a man named Jim who has been _______ for more than a decade.
4. On a weekend furlough in Chapter 22, McCall spends the night with whom and realizes the feeling between them is gone?
5. In Chapter 20, McCall is hurt when the mother of his son announces she is doing what?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)