|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julie offer Nicholas as proof she is telling the truth?
2. What does the man who played Anton tell Nicholas will happen?
3. What does Nicholas find waiting for him when he gets back to school?
4. What was Nicholas tempted to do to the villa?
5. What happens when Nicholas returns to the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas do to try to reconcile with Alison and what does he say?
2. What does Nicholas challenge Alison to accept?
3. What new relationship does Conchis share with Nicholas?
4. In addition to the script, what other item does Nicholas find in the underground cavern?
5. What happens when Nicholas sees Lily again and what does he tell her about his weekend with Alison?
6. What does Alison tell Nicholas when he accuses her of lying?
7. How does Nicholas feel about his reactions to Conchis' tests?
8. What does Nicholas tell Julie when they are alone and how does she respond?
9. What does Nicholas see at the end of the long procession that is carried by four men and what is the purpose of this item?
10. What happens to Nicholas as he follows Julie to the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the author intend to be the biggest shock to Nicholas in this novel? What does the author intend to be the biggest shock to the reader in this novel? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe the character of Conchis? Why do you think he is so manipulative? Do you believe you would have been as compliant as Nicholas was? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What leads Nicholas to become aware that his connection to and feeling for Alison is the beginning of his new personal truth? Does this beginning blossom or fizzle out? How and why do you think this way?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)