|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas do to Alison which he dreamed of doing to Lily, but never did?
2. Who does June claim has been following her?
3. How does Nicholas feel when he wakes up?
4. What does Nicholas do when he returns to school?
5. Where does Nicholas ask Conchis about when he follows him into the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas challenge Alison to accept?
2. What happens to Nicholas as he follows Julie to the house?
3. What happens when Nicholas sees Lily again and what does he tell her about his weekend with Alison?
4. How does Nicholas feel about Julie and Alison in this section?
5. What new relationship does Conchis share with Nicholas?
6. Why does Leverrier refuse to speak with Nicholas about his personal experience at the villa?
7. What does Nicholas speculate about the 'Nazis' and what happens to him?
8. What does Nicholas notice in the house after he finishes his swim and what information does he learn?
9. What does Nicholas see at the end of the long procession that is carried by four men and what is the purpose of this item?
10. What does Mitford tell Nicholas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does the author use symbolism in this novel? Do you feel the use of symbolism is effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What does the author intend to be the biggest shock to Nicholas in this novel? What does the author intend to be the biggest shock to the reader in this novel? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 3
How would you describe the character of Conchis? Why do you think he is so manipulative? Do you believe you would have been as compliant as Nicholas was? Why or why not?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)