|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. de Seitas ask Nicholas by telling him a parallel story?
2. What does Nicholas noticed have disappeared?
3. Why is Nicholas unable to leave?
4. What does Nicholas become depressed and obsessive about?
5. How is Bourani when Nicholas passes it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Leverrier refuse to speak with Nicholas about his personal experience at the villa?
2. What happens when Nicholas sees Lily again and what does he tell her about his weekend with Alison?
3. In what way does Nicholas surprise Conchis?
4. What new relationship does Conchis share with Nicholas?
5. What does Nicholas do to try to reconcile with Alison and what does he say?
6. How does Nicholas feel about his reactions to Conchis' tests?
7. What happens to Nicholas as he follows Julie to the house?
8. Who visits Nicholas and what purpose does Nicholas believe this visit serves?
9. In addition to the script, what other item does Nicholas find in the underground cavern?
10. What does Nicholas see at the end of the long procession that is carried by four men and what is the purpose of this item?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think so many men fell for Conchis' ploys? Do you think this could happen in real-life? Do you think people are that gullible? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What personal truth does Nicholas realize throughout this novel? What universal truth is shared with the reader in this novel? How do you personally feel about this universal truth? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways were climaxes in this novel matched in narrative with sexual ones within the novel? Do you believe this was the author's intention? Why or why not?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)