|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. de Seitas say of Alison?
2. What does Nicholas do to Alison which he dreamed of doing to Lily, but never did?
3. What was Nicholas tempted to do to the villa?
4. What does Nicholas plan after he returns to school?
5. What does Julie offer Nicholas as proof she is telling the truth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is the novel's key thematic and narrative point that personal identity and integrity depends on the power of choice? Do you agree with this idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does the author intend to be the biggest shock to Nicholas in this novel? What does the author intend to be the biggest shock to the reader in this novel? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the theme of NIcholas' transformation from the beginning of the novel through the end? Would you describe him at the end as being as selfish, overly indulgent and lazy as he was at the beginning?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)