|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nicholas ask Conchis about when he follows him into the woods?
2. Why does Julie run away from Nicholas?
3. What does Nicholas do when he returns to school?
4. Where is Nicholas surprised to be placed after he is bound and gagged?
5. Why is Nicholas unable to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nicholas feel about his reactions to Conchis' tests?
2. What replies does Nicholas get to his letters about Julie and how does this make him feel?
3. Why does Leverrier refuse to speak with Nicholas about his personal experience at the villa?
4. What happens when Nicholas sees Lily again and what does he tell her about his weekend with Alison?
5. What happens to Nicholas as he follows Julie to the house?
6. How does Nicholas feel about Julie and Alison in this section?
7. What does Alison tell Nicholas when he accuses her of lying?
8. In addition to the script, what other item does Nicholas find in the underground cavern?
9. In what way does Nicholas surprise Conchis?
10. What factual elements does Nicholas realize were present in Conchis' masque?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does the reader empathize with the character of Nicholas? Do you believe it is justifiable to feel empathy for Nicholas? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe the author referred to the villa as "the waiting room?" Do you believe it is an accurate term? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an analysis of this book based on the narrative of the journey Nicholas goes through, the way its events are structured and entwined with his external and internal realizations. Include an examination from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)