|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Conchis holding when he appears near the Poseidon statue?
2. What does Conchis tell Nicholas will happen after the summer?
3. What happens when Nicholas returns to the house?
4. What confession does Julie make to Nicholas about when she was younger?
5. Why does Julie run off away from Nicholas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mitford tell Nicholas?
2. What does Nicholas notice in the house after he finishes his swim and what information does he learn?
3. How does Nicholas feel about Julie and Alison in this section?
4. What truth does Julie share with Nicholas and what information does she share about the person called Anubis?
5. How does Nicholas feel about his reactions to Conchis' tests?
6. What happens to Nicholas as he follows Julie to the house?
7. What does Nicholas speculate about the 'Nazis' and what happens to him?
8. Who visits Nicholas and what purpose does Nicholas believe this visit serves?
9. What does Nicholas see at the end of the long procession that is carried by four men and what is the purpose of this item?
10. What does Nicholas tell Julie when they are alone and how does she respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does the reader empathize with the character of Nicholas? Do you believe it is justifiable to feel empathy for Nicholas? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways were climaxes in this novel matched in narrative with sexual ones within the novel? Do you believe this was the author's intention? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the theme of NIcholas' transformation from the beginning of the novel through the end? Would you describe him at the end as being as selfish, overly indulgent and lazy as he was at the beginning?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)