|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Conchis dressed when he meets Nicholas for breakfast?
2. What does Nicholas noticed have disappeared?
3. What does Nicholas do to Alison which he dreamed of doing to Lily, but never did?
4. What does Julie offer Nicholas as proof she is telling the truth?
5. Where is Nicholas surprised to be placed after he is bound and gagged?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factual elements does Nicholas realize were present in Conchis' masque?
2. What does Nicholas see at the end of the long procession that is carried by four men and what is the purpose of this item?
3. In addition to the script, what other item does Nicholas find in the underground cavern?
4. Who visits Nicholas and what purpose does Nicholas believe this visit serves?
5. What new relationship does Conchis share with Nicholas?
6. What does Nicholas challenge Alison to accept?
7. How does Nicholas feel about his reactions to Conchis' tests?
8. What happens to Nicholas as he follows Julie to the house?
9. What truth does Julie share with Nicholas and what information does she share about the person called Anubis?
10. How does Nicholas feel about Julie and Alison in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the author use foreshadowing within this novel? Which events were foreshadowed? Was the technique successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What leads Nicholas to become aware that his connection to and feeling for Alison is the beginning of his new personal truth? Does this beginning blossom or fizzle out? How and why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Nicholas' relationship with Mrs. de Seitas is angry? Why do you think Nicholas' relationship with JoJo is selfish and shallow? Do you think these reasons are justified? Why or why not?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)