|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas do when he returns to school?
2. What does Nicholas discover the next morning?
3. Which of the following characters does Nicholas have a public outburst of anger at?
4. What does Nicholas learn about Conchis?
5. What does Nicholas say he experiences as he walks away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas speculate about the 'Nazis' and what happens to him?
2. What factual elements does Nicholas realize were present in Conchis' masque?
3. What does Nicholas do to try to reconcile with Alison and what does he say?
4. What does Nicholas tell Julie when they are alone and how does she respond?
5. Who visits Nicholas and what purpose does Nicholas believe this visit serves?
6. In what way does Nicholas surprise Conchis?
7. What happens when Nicholas sees Lily again and what does he tell her about his weekend with Alison?
8. What new relationship does Conchis share with Nicholas?
9. How does Nicholas feel about Julie and Alison in this section?
10. How does Nicholas feel about his reactions to Conchis' tests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an analysis of Nicholas' relationship with woman as described throughout the novel. How would you characterize these relationships? Are any of them healthy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe the author referred to the villa as "the waiting room?" Do you believe it is an accurate term? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What personal truth does Nicholas realize throughout this novel? What universal truth is shared with the reader in this novel? How do you personally feel about this universal truth? Why?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)