|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Nicholas tempted to do to the villa?
2. What truth does Nicholas believe the experience was meant to teach him about how to live?
3. Who is observing Julie and Nicholas?
4. What does June want Nicholas to coax Julie to do?
5. What information does Nicholas learn about Mrs. de Seitas from the bartender?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas speculate about the 'Nazis' and what happens to him?
2. How does Nicholas feel about his reactions to Conchis' tests?
3. What does Nicholas challenge Alison to accept?
4. What does Nicholas do to try to reconcile with Alison and what does he say?
5. What new relationship does Conchis share with Nicholas?
6. What happens when Nicholas sees Lily again and what does he tell her about his weekend with Alison?
7. What happens to Nicholas as he follows Julie to the house?
8. What does Nicholas see at the end of the long procession that is carried by four men and what is the purpose of this item?
9. In what way does Nicholas surprise Conchis?
10. Why does Leverrier refuse to speak with Nicholas about his personal experience at the villa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does this novel examine the overall idea of relationships between men and women? Do you believe they are described accurately by the author? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How did the author use foreshadowing within this novel? Which events were foreshadowed? Was the technique successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does the reader empathize with the character of Nicholas? Do you believe it is justifiable to feel empathy for Nicholas? Why or why not?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)