|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nicholas offered in exchange for keeping quiet about the activities with Conchis?
2. What does Nicholas do to Alison which he dreamed of doing to Lily, but never did?
3. What does Nicholas say he experiences as he walks away?
4. What truth does Nicholas believe the experience was meant to teach him about how to live?
5. What confession does Julie make to Nicholas about when she was younger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nicholas sees Lily again and what does he tell her about his weekend with Alison?
2. What does Alison tell Nicholas when he accuses her of lying?
3. How does Nicholas feel about Julie and Alison in this section?
4. What factual elements does Nicholas realize were present in Conchis' masque?
5. In what way does Nicholas surprise Conchis?
6. How does Nicholas feel about his reactions to Conchis' tests?
7. What does Nicholas speculate about the 'Nazis' and what happens to him?
8. What does Nicholas see at the end of the long procession that is carried by four men and what is the purpose of this item?
9. What does Mitford tell Nicholas?
10. Who visits Nicholas and what purpose does Nicholas believe this visit serves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does this novel examine the overall idea of relationships between men and women? Do you believe they are described accurately by the author? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an analysis of this book based on the narrative of the journey Nicholas goes through, the way its events are structured and entwined with his external and internal realizations. Include an examination from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Write an analysis of this book based on the consideration the revelation at the novel's conclusion that most all Nicholas experiences is engineered and manipulated by others. Include an examination from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)