|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Bourani when Nicholas passes it?
2. What happens as Nicholas is leaving where June and Julie stayed during the masque?
3. What does Nicholas tell Alison he is now prepared to admit?
4. What does Mrs. de Seitas ask Nicholas by telling him a parallel story?
5. What gift does Mrs. de Seitas give to Nicholas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alison tell Nicholas when he accuses her of lying?
2. What replies does Nicholas get to his letters about Julie and how does this make him feel?
3. What does Nicholas notice in the house after he finishes his swim and what information does he learn?
4. What new relationship does Conchis share with Nicholas?
5. Who visits Nicholas and what purpose does Nicholas believe this visit serves?
6. How does Nicholas feel about Julie and Alison in this section?
7. What does Nicholas speculate about the 'Nazis' and what happens to him?
8. What does Nicholas see at the end of the long procession that is carried by four men and what is the purpose of this item?
9. What happens to Nicholas as he follows Julie to the house?
10. What does Nicholas tell Julie when they are alone and how does she respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an analysis of this book based on the consideration the revelation at the novel's conclusion that most all Nicholas experiences is engineered and manipulated by others. Include an examination from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe the author referred to the villa as "the waiting room?" Do you believe it is an accurate term? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does the author use symbolism in this novel? Do you feel the use of symbolism is effective? Why?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)