|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas do when he returns to school?
2. What information does Nicholas learn about Mrs. de Seitas from the bartender?
3. What does Nicholas tell Alison he is now prepared to admit?
4. What does Nicholas noticed have disappeared?
5. Who does she say is the man that claimed to be Conchis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Nicholas as he follows Julie to the house?
2. What does Nicholas tell Julie when they are alone and how does she respond?
3. What does Nicholas see at the end of the long procession that is carried by four men and what is the purpose of this item?
4. What replies does Nicholas get to his letters about Julie and how does this make him feel?
5. What does Nicholas do to try to reconcile with Alison and what does he say?
6. What does Mitford tell Nicholas?
7. How does Nicholas feel about Julie and Alison in this section?
8. How does Nicholas feel about his reactions to Conchis' tests?
9. Why does Leverrier refuse to speak with Nicholas about his personal experience at the villa?
10. Who visits Nicholas and what purpose does Nicholas believe this visit serves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What events within the novel break down Nicholas' pre-conceptions about himself? What new preconceptions does this lead to? Why do you think this?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Nicholas' relationship with Mrs. de Seitas is angry? Why do you think Nicholas' relationship with JoJo is selfish and shallow? Do you think these reasons are justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How did the author use foreshadowing within this novel? Which events were foreshadowed? Was the technique successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)