|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Julie run away from Nicholas?
2. What does Nicholas learn about Conchis?
3. What does Nicholas noticed have disappeared?
4. What is happening, according to Conchis, at the same moment as the fire was destroying the de Doukans' home?
5. What does Mrs. de Seitas say of Alison?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Nicholas surprise Conchis?
2. What does Nicholas speculate about the 'Nazis' and what happens to him?
3. What does Alison tell Nicholas when he accuses her of lying?
4. What factual elements does Nicholas realize were present in Conchis' masque?
5. Why does Leverrier refuse to speak with Nicholas about his personal experience at the villa?
6. How does Nicholas feel about Julie and Alison in this section?
7. What replies does Nicholas get to his letters about Julie and how does this make him feel?
8. What happens when Nicholas sees Lily again and what does he tell her about his weekend with Alison?
9. What does Nicholas notice in the house after he finishes his swim and what information does he learn?
10. What truth does Julie share with Nicholas and what information does she share about the person called Anubis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does the reader empathize with the character of Nicholas? Do you believe it is justifiable to feel empathy for Nicholas? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an analysis of this book based on the narrative of the journey Nicholas goes through, the way its events are structured and entwined with his external and internal realizations. Include an examination from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What personal truth does Nicholas realize throughout this novel? What universal truth is shared with the reader in this novel? How do you personally feel about this universal truth? Why?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)