|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man who played Anton tell Nicholas will happen?
2. What confession does Julie make to Nicholas about when she was younger?
3. What is happening, according to Conchis, at the same moment as the fire was destroying the de Doukans' home?
4. What does Nicholas become depressed and obsessive about?
5. How does the group describe Nicholas' personality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas see at the end of the long procession that is carried by four men and what is the purpose of this item?
2. What does Nicholas tell Julie when they are alone and how does she respond?
3. What does Nicholas speculate about the 'Nazis' and what happens to him?
4. In what way does Nicholas surprise Conchis?
5. In addition to the script, what other item does Nicholas find in the underground cavern?
6. What new relationship does Conchis share with Nicholas?
7. What does Mitford tell Nicholas?
8. Why does Leverrier refuse to speak with Nicholas about his personal experience at the villa?
9. What replies does Nicholas get to his letters about Julie and how does this make him feel?
10. What factual elements does Nicholas realize were present in Conchis' masque?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the author referred to the villa as "the waiting room?" Do you believe it is an accurate term? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe Nicholas' actions brought Conchis' game to a predestined conclusion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does the author use symbolism in this novel? Do you feel the use of symbolism is effective? Why?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)