|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is observing Julie and Nicholas?
2. What information does Nicholas learn about Mrs. de Seitas from the bartender?
3. What does Joe bring in and set up for Conchis?
4. What happens as Nicholas is leaving where June and Julie stayed during the masque?
5. What is the empty litter described as being symbolic of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alison tell Nicholas when he accuses her of lying?
2. What factual elements does Nicholas realize were present in Conchis' masque?
3. What happens to Nicholas as he follows Julie to the house?
4. What does Mitford tell Nicholas?
5. In addition to the script, what other item does Nicholas find in the underground cavern?
6. What does Nicholas tell Julie when they are alone and how does she respond?
7. What truth does Julie share with Nicholas and what information does she share about the person called Anubis?
8. What happens when Nicholas sees Lily again and what does he tell her about his weekend with Alison?
9. How does Nicholas feel about his reactions to Conchis' tests?
10. What does Nicholas see at the end of the long procession that is carried by four men and what is the purpose of this item?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What leads Nicholas to become aware that his connection to and feeling for Alison is the beginning of his new personal truth? Does this beginning blossom or fizzle out? How and why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does the reader empathize with the character of Nicholas? Do you believe it is justifiable to feel empathy for Nicholas? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is the novel's key thematic and narrative point that personal identity and integrity depends on the power of choice? Do you agree with this idea? Why or why not?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)