|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Conchis refer to when confronted by Nicholas?
2. How does Conchis react when he learns that Nicholas has been in contact with Julie?
3. What happens as Nicholas is leaving where June and Julie stayed during the masque?
4. Which of the following characters does Nicholas have a public outburst of anger at?
5. What is the empty litter described as being symbolic of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who visits Nicholas and what purpose does Nicholas believe this visit serves?
2. How does Nicholas feel about his reactions to Conchis' tests?
3. In addition to the script, what other item does Nicholas find in the underground cavern?
4. Why does Leverrier refuse to speak with Nicholas about his personal experience at the villa?
5. In what way does Nicholas surprise Conchis?
6. What truth does Julie share with Nicholas and what information does she share about the person called Anubis?
7. What does Mitford tell Nicholas?
8. What does Nicholas see at the end of the long procession that is carried by four men and what is the purpose of this item?
9. What does Nicholas do to try to reconcile with Alison and what does he say?
10. What replies does Nicholas get to his letters about Julie and how does this make him feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the author use foreshadowing within this novel? Which events were foreshadowed? Was the technique successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways were climaxes in this novel matched in narrative with sexual ones within the novel? Do you believe this was the author's intention? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does the author use symbolism in this novel? Do you feel the use of symbolism is effective? Why?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)