|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. de Seitas say of Alison?
2. Where did Julie and June stay while the masque was being held?
3. What does June want Nicholas to coax Julie to do?
4. Where does Nicholas stop on his way back to England?
5. What does Nicholas plan after he returns to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factual elements does Nicholas realize were present in Conchis' masque?
2. What does Nicholas see at the end of the long procession that is carried by four men and what is the purpose of this item?
3. What does Alison tell Nicholas when he accuses her of lying?
4. What does Nicholas challenge Alison to accept?
5. How does Nicholas feel about his reactions to Conchis' tests?
6. What does Nicholas speculate about the 'Nazis' and what happens to him?
7. What happens to Nicholas as he follows Julie to the house?
8. What does Nicholas do to try to reconcile with Alison and what does he say?
9. What happens when Nicholas sees Lily again and what does he tell her about his weekend with Alison?
10. What new relationship does Conchis share with Nicholas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the author use foreshadowing within this novel? Which events were foreshadowed? Was the technique successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What personal truth does Nicholas realize throughout this novel? What universal truth is shared with the reader in this novel? How do you personally feel about this universal truth? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does the author use symbolism in this novel? Do you feel the use of symbolism is effective? Why?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)