|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession is Leverrier?
2. Where is Nicholas surprised to be placed after he is bound and gagged?
3. What does Nicholas say he experiences as he walks away?
4. How does Alison react to Nicholas' plan?
5. What is Nicholas offered in exchange for keeping quiet about the activities with Conchis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas tell Julie when they are alone and how does she respond?
2. What does Nicholas challenge Alison to accept?
3. Who visits Nicholas and what purpose does Nicholas believe this visit serves?
4. What factual elements does Nicholas realize were present in Conchis' masque?
5. Why does Leverrier refuse to speak with Nicholas about his personal experience at the villa?
6. What does Nicholas notice in the house after he finishes his swim and what information does he learn?
7. What does Nicholas do to try to reconcile with Alison and what does he say?
8. What does Mitford tell Nicholas?
9. How does Nicholas feel about his reactions to Conchis' tests?
10. What happens to Nicholas as he follows Julie to the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Nicholas' relationship with Mrs. de Seitas is angry? Why do you think Nicholas' relationship with JoJo is selfish and shallow? Do you think these reasons are justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What events within the novel break down Nicholas' pre-conceptions about himself? What new preconceptions does this lead to? Why do you think this?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is the novel's key thematic and narrative point that personal identity and integrity depends on the power of choice? Do you agree with this idea? Why or why not?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)