|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Conchis take Nicholas on a tour?
2. How does Nicholas describe the idea of being in Greece?
3. What does Conchis tell Nicholas he will be conducting the following evening?
4. What was the name of the idealistic group of physicians Conchis joined?
5. What captivates Nicholas immediately upon his arrival in Greece?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Nicholas' interest in Alison and what does she plan on doing because of this?
2. How does Conchis describe the series of events that brought him to where he is today and how does he indicate it has affected him?
3. What four events does Conchis share with Nicholas as he begins the story of his life?
4. What does Nicholas receive from Maria and what is contained in what he receives?
5. What does Nicholas observe after he releases Lily and watches her go?
6. What does Nicholas do once he returns to school in regards to the villa?
7. What does Nicholas read and what is it about?
8. What does Lily admit to Nicholas while they are together on the beach after lunch?
9. What realization does Nicholas come to in regard to Alison and then about himself?
10. What happens when Nicholas tells Conchis that he believes he contracted syphilis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you describe the character of Conchis? Why do you think he is so manipulative? Do you believe you would have been as compliant as Nicholas was? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does the author intend to be the biggest shock to Nicholas in this novel? What does the author intend to be the biggest shock to the reader in this novel? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 3
What events within the novel break down Nicholas' pre-conceptions about himself? What new preconceptions does this lead to? Why do you think this?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)