|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas think Conchis' events the following evening will have to do with?
2. What disease does Nicholas believe he contracts?
3. Which of the following characters do the villagers claim never to have seen?
4. How does Nicholas pass the time before dinner?
5. What does Nicholas find in one of the library books in his bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Nicholas is walking back to the school after his weekend with Conchis, what does he feel as though he entered?
2. What does Nicholas receive from Maria and what is contained in what he receives?
3. What does Nicholas consider when he realizes that he is a very bad poet and what actually happens?
4. How does the character of Mitford describe life on the island to Nicholas and what does he speak mysteriously about?
5. What does Nicholas observe after he releases Lily and watches her go?
6. What happens between Nicholas and Alison in the hut and what does this lead Nicholas to decide to do?
7. What does Nicholas see when he goes downstairs himself after Conchis heads upstairs?
8. What information does Conchis volunteer to Nicholas?
9. What kind of novel is this novel and how does the narrative structure play into this framework?
10. How does Alison respond to Nicholas and what realization does he come to after receiving her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does the author use symbolism in this novel? Do you feel the use of symbolism is effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe Nicholas' actions brought Conchis' game to a predestined conclusion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does the author intend to be the biggest shock to Nicholas in this novel? What does the author intend to be the biggest shock to the reader in this novel? Why do you think so?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)