|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the message from Conchis tell Nicholas?
2. What job is Alison training for?
3. How does Demetriades appear to spend all of his free time?
4. Which of the following is the best definition of the term banteringly as used in the following sentence: Nicholas and Alison speak banteringly of their love for each other.
5. Which of the following terms describes how Conchis saved his own life and got out of France?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusions did Nicholas draw about what was happening to him at Bourani?
2. What does Nicholas receive from Maria and what is contained in what he receives?
3. What realization does Nicholas come to in regard to Alison and then about himself?
4. What happens between Nicholas and Alison in the hut and what does this lead Nicholas to decide to do?
5. What discovery did Conchis describe in relation to Lily and where did he believe those feelings came from?
6. What discussion takes place in regard to the voices heard by Nicholas the night before?
7. What does Nicholas think about as he lies down and reflects on Conchis and how does Nicholas feel about this?
8. Why does Nicholas say that he will not be able to have sex with her and how does she decide to handle this news?
9. What kind of novel is this novel and how does the narrative structure play into this framework?
10. How does Conchis describe the series of events that brought him to where he is today and how does he indicate it has affected him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does this novel examine the overall idea of relationships between men and women? Do you believe they are described accurately by the author? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the theme of NIcholas' transformation from the beginning of the novel through the end? Would you describe him at the end as being as selfish, overly indulgent and lazy as he was at the beginning?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe the author referred to the villa as "the waiting room?" Do you believe it is an accurate term? Why or why not?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)