|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were the huts at the top of Parnassus abandoned?
2. Which of the following best describes the song Nicholas heard when he was going to commit suicide?
3. What does Alison do when she and Nicholas return to her hotel room?
4. What surprises Nicholas when he returns to Conchis' home?
5. How does Conchis respond when Nicholas apologizes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Conchis volunteer to Nicholas?
2. What discovery does Nicholas make in Conchis' home and what very specific information about one of the items does Nicholas learn?
3. What does Nicholas do once he returns to school in regards to the villa?
4. What does Nicholas receive from Maria and what is contained in what he receives?
5. As Nicholas and Conchis are walking back to the house and pass the Poseidon statue, what does Lily admit to Nicholas?
6. Who does Nicholas contact via letter and what does he hope to happen because of the letter?
7. What happens to Nicholas when he accompanies Demetriades and what does he do about this?
8. What kind of novel is this novel and how does the narrative structure play into this framework?
9. While Nicholas is walking back to the school after his weekend with Conchis, what does he feel as though he entered?
10. What does Nicholas see when he goes downstairs himself after Conchis heads upstairs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does the reader empathize with the character of Nicholas? Do you believe it is justifiable to feel empathy for Nicholas? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What personal truth does Nicholas realize throughout this novel? What universal truth is shared with the reader in this novel? How do you personally feel about this universal truth? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the theme of NIcholas' transformation from the beginning of the novel through the end? Would you describe him at the end as being as selfish, overly indulgent and lazy as he was at the beginning?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)