|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Conchis return to Europe?
2. What do Nicholas and Lily encounter as they walk back to the house?
3. What does Nicholas resolve not to do?
4. Where does Nicholas go after he leaves the school on the morning of his return?
5. Which of the following is an accurate description of the school at which Nicholas finds a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the character of Mitford describe life on the island to Nicholas and what does he speak mysteriously about?
2. What discovery did Conchis describe in relation to Lily and where did he believe those feelings came from?
3. What does Conchis tell Nicholas happened to him after he safely makes it back to England?
4. What does Nicholas do once he returns to school in regards to the villa?
5. What discovery does Nicholas make in Conchis' home and what very specific information about one of the items does Nicholas learn?
6. What happens to Nicholas when he accompanies Demetriades and what does he do about this?
7. How does Nicholas feel about the boys and his colleagues at the school?
8. What does the main character of this novel learn and how long does he have to gather this information?
9. What does Nicholas receive from Maria and what is contained in what he receives?
10. While Nicholas is walking back to the school after his weekend with Conchis, what does he feel as though he entered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe Nicholas' actions brought Conchis' game to a predestined conclusion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe the character of Conchis? Why do you think he is so manipulative? Do you believe you would have been as compliant as Nicholas was? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What events within the novel break down Nicholas' pre-conceptions about himself? What new preconceptions does this lead to? Why do you think this?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)