|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas smell as he is getting ready for bed?
2. Which of the following best describes how Nicholas views himself as a poet?
3. What did Nicholas ask Conchis if he would agree to?
4. What happens to Lily a few days after Conchis leaves?
5. How does Nicholas fill his time after he is cured from his disease?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas decide about meeting Alison and what does he resolve to do about it?
2. What had changed in the room Nicholas was using when he stayed at Conchis' villa and how was it different?
3. What does the main character of this novel learn and how long does he have to gather this information?
4. What happens when Nicholas tells Conchis that he believes he contracted syphilis?
5. What shocks Nicholas when he is looking around the music room?
6. What happens to Nicholas' interest in Alison and what does she plan on doing because of this?
7. What does Nicholas receive from Maria and what is contained in what he receives?
8. What realization does Nicholas come to in regard to Alison and then about himself?
9. What does Nicholas discover when he is heading to his favorite part of the island on his hike and how does he feel upon this discovery?
10. What discovery does Nicholas make in Conchis' home and what very specific information about one of the items does Nicholas learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an analysis of this book based on the narrative of the journey Nicholas goes through, the way its events are structured and entwined with his external and internal realizations. Include an examination from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What does the author intend to be the biggest shock to Nicholas in this novel? What does the author intend to be the biggest shock to the reader in this novel? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 3
Write an analysis of this book based on the context of the writing style, language and development of characterization. Include the writing from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)