|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas do when he returns to his room instead of preparing to sleep?
2. What causes Nicholas to flee in a fearful panic after his nap?
3. Which of the following is an accurate description of the school at which Nicholas finds a job?
4. With whom does Conchis take refuge after he leaves England?
5. How does Nicholas feel as he and Alison break up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Conchis tell Nicholas happened to him after he safely makes it back to England?
2. What does Nicholas receive from Maria and what is contained in what he receives?
3. What discussion takes place in regard to the voices heard by Nicholas the night before?
4. How does Nicholas feel about the boys and his colleagues at the school?
5. While Nicholas is walking back to the school after his weekend with Conchis, what does he feel as though he entered?
6. What does Nicholas do once he returns to school in regards to the villa?
7. What does Nicholas consider when he realizes that he is a very bad poet and what actually happens?
8. How does the character of Mitford describe life on the island to Nicholas and what does he speak mysteriously about?
9. Who does Nicholas contact via letter and what does he hope to happen because of the letter?
10. What four events does Conchis share with Nicholas as he begins the story of his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does the reader empathize with the character of Nicholas? Do you believe it is justifiable to feel empathy for Nicholas? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe the author referred to the villa as "the waiting room?" Do you believe it is an accurate term? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways were climaxes in this novel matched in narrative with sexual ones within the novel? Do you believe this was the author's intention? Why or why not?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)