|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Conchis take a break while telling Nicholas his life story?
2. With whom does Conchis take refuge after he leaves England?
3. How many English speaking teachers are there at Nicholas' school?
4. How does the conversation between Nicholas and Lily on the beach end?
5. What has changed in Nicholas' room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Nicholas' interest in Alison and what does she plan on doing because of this?
2. Who does Nicholas contact via letter and what does he hope to happen because of the letter?
3. What does Nicholas discover when he is heading to his favorite part of the island on his hike and how does he feel upon this discovery?
4. What happens to Nicholas when he accompanies Demetriades and what does he do about this?
5. What kind of novel is this novel and how does the narrative structure play into this framework?
6. What discussion takes place in regard to the voices heard by Nicholas the night before?
7. What discovery did Conchis describe in relation to Lily and where did he believe those feelings came from?
8. What four events does Conchis share with Nicholas as he begins the story of his life?
9. What information does Conchis volunteer to Nicholas?
10. What does Nicholas decide about meeting Alison and what does he resolve to do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the author use foreshadowing within this novel? Which events were foreshadowed? Was the technique successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What personal truth does Nicholas realize throughout this novel? What universal truth is shared with the reader in this novel? How do you personally feel about this universal truth? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think so many men fell for Conchis' ploys? Do you think this could happen in real-life? Do you think people are that gullible? Why or why not?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)