|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alison respond to Nicholas' confession about Bourani?
2. What captivates Nicholas immediately upon his arrival in Greece?
3. What does Conchis invite Nicholas to do?
4. How does Nicholas feel as he and Alison break up?
5. Which of the following terms best describes how Nicholas feels about his experiences at the school so far?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nicholas say that he will not be able to have sex with her and how does she decide to handle this news?
2. What four events does Conchis share with Nicholas as he begins the story of his life?
3. What does Nicholas receive from Maria and what is contained in what he receives?
4. Who does Nicholas contact via letter and what does he hope to happen because of the letter?
5. What does Nicholas think about as he lies down and reflects on Conchis and how does Nicholas feel about this?
6. What decisions did Conchis come to in regard to war and what did this make him determined to do?
7. What does Conchis tell Nicholas happened to him after he safely makes it back to England?
8. What discussion takes place in regard to the voices heard by Nicholas the night before?
9. How does Conchis describe the series of events that brought him to where he is today and how does he indicate it has affected him?
10. What conclusions did Nicholas draw about what was happening to him at Bourani?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe Nicholas' actions brought Conchis' game to a predestined conclusion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does the author intend to be the biggest shock to Nicholas in this novel? What does the author intend to be the biggest shock to the reader in this novel? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 3
What leads Nicholas to become aware that his connection to and feeling for Alison is the beginning of his new personal truth? Does this beginning blossom or fizzle out? How and why do you think this way?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)