|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the conversation between Nicholas and Lily on the beach end?
2. When did Conchis return to Europe?
3. In what language are the words "the waiting room" when Nicholas stumbles across the sign?
4. Why doesn't Nicholas reveal his feelings to the female visitor?
5. Which of the following is an inaccurate characterization of Nicholas Urfe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nicholas say that he will not be able to have sex with her and how does she decide to handle this news?
2. What discussion takes place in regard to the voices heard by Nicholas the night before?
3. What does Conchis tell Nicholas happened to him after he safely makes it back to England?
4. What realization does Nicholas come to in regard to Alison and then about himself?
5. What does Nicholas see when he goes downstairs himself after Conchis heads upstairs?
6. What does Nicholas receive from Maria and what is contained in what he receives?
7. What resolution does Nicholas come to about Conchis and privacy as well as Conchis and Alison?
8. What does Nicholas think Conchis is doing to him and how does that relate to Levierre and Mitford?
9. What does Nicholas think about as he lies down and reflects on Conchis and how does Nicholas feel about this?
10. What information does Conchis volunteer to Nicholas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does this novel examine the overall idea of relationships between men and women? Do you believe they are described accurately by the author? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What leads Nicholas to become aware that his connection to and feeling for Alison is the beginning of his new personal truth? Does this beginning blossom or fizzle out? How and why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe the author referred to the villa as "the waiting room?" Do you believe it is an accurate term? Why or why not?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)