|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas smell as he is getting ready for bed?
2. Which of the following words best describes how Nicholas slept after seeing who he thought was Lily?
3. What does Nicholas continue to search for in the bathroom and around the house?
4. How does Conchis respond when Nicholas apologizes?
5. What does Nicholas realize he wants in regard to Alison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mitford tell Nicholas?
2. How did Conchis describe his time in Word War II and how it affected him?
3. Who does Nicholas contact via letter and what does he hope to happen because of the letter?
4. While Nicholas is walking back to the school after his weekend with Conchis, what does he feel as though he entered?
5. What shocks Nicholas when he is looking around the music room?
6. What does Conchis tell Nicholas happened to him after he safely makes it back to England?
7. What does Alison tell Nicholas when he accuses her of lying?
8. What does Nicholas read and what is it about?
9. What does Nicholas do to try to reconcile with Alison and what does he say?
10. How does Alison respond to Nicholas and what realization does he come to after receiving her response?
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does the author use symbolism in this novel? Do you feel the use of symbolism is effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Write an analysis of this book based on the consideration the revelation at the novel's conclusion that most all Nicholas experiences is engineered and manipulated by others. Include an examination from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Write an analysis of Nicholas' relationship with woman as described throughout the novel. How would you characterize these relationships? Are any of them healthy? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)