|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Nicholas and Lily encounter as they walk back to the house?
2. Which of the following characters do the villagers claim never to have seen?
3. Which of the following does Conchis say about the odds of survival?
4. Which of the following is the best definition of the term banteringly as used in the following sentence: Nicholas and Alison speak banteringly of their love for each other.
5. What does Nicholas see in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nicholas tells Conchis that he believes he contracted syphilis?
2. What does Nicholas do once he returns to school in regards to the villa?
3. What does Nicholas consider when he realizes that he is a very bad poet and what actually happens?
4. Who does Nicholas contact via letter and what does he hope to happen because of the letter?
5. What four events does Conchis share with Nicholas as he begins the story of his life?
6. What does the main character of this novel learn and how long does he have to gather this information?
7. What does Nicholas discover when he is heading to his favorite part of the island on his hike and how does he feel upon this discovery?
8. What discovery does Nicholas make in Conchis' home and what very specific information about one of the items does Nicholas learn?
9. What conclusions did Nicholas draw about what was happening to him at Bourani?
10. What discussion takes place in regard to the voices heard by Nicholas the night before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does the author use symbolism in this novel? Do you feel the use of symbolism is effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What leads Nicholas to become aware that his connection to and feeling for Alison is the beginning of his new personal truth? Does this beginning blossom or fizzle out? How and why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does the reader empathize with the character of Nicholas? Do you believe it is justifiable to feel empathy for Nicholas? Why or why not?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)