|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition does Conchis put on Nicholas' ability to return to the villa?
2. What causes Nicholas to flee in a fearful panic after his nap?
3. What disease does Nicholas believe he contracts?
4. Which of the following characters do the villagers claim never to have seen?
5. What does the woman who Nicholas believes to be Lily do when he approaches?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas decide about meeting Alison and what does he resolve to do about it?
2. As Alison and Nicholas walk back toward town, what does Nicholas become more aware of and what does he then tell Alison as a result?
3. What new relationship does Conchis share with Nicholas?
4. What does Mitford tell Nicholas?
5. What relationship did Conchis tell Nicholas about and in what way was he like Conchis?
6. In addition to the script, what other item does Nicholas find in the underground cavern?
7. What does Nicholas notice in the house after he finishes his swim and what information does he learn?
8. What truth does Julie share with Nicholas and what information does she share about the person called Anubis?
9. How does Conchis describe the series of events that brought him to where he is today and how does he indicate it has affected him?
10. What decisions did Conchis come to in regard to war and what did this make him determined to do?
Essay Topic 1
In what way is the novel's key thematic and narrative point that personal identity and integrity depends on the power of choice? Do you agree with this idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an analysis of this book based on the consideration the revelation at the novel's conclusion that most all Nicholas experiences is engineered and manipulated by others. Include an examination from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Write an analysis of this book based on the context of the writing style, language and development of characterization. Include the writing from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)