|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas do instead of visiting the villa?
2. What happens to Lily a few days after Conchis leaves?
3. What does Nicholas smell as he is getting ready for bed?
4. What did Conchis study when he was in Argentina?
5. Where does Conchis take Nicholas on a tour?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decisions did Conchis come to in regard to war and what did this make him determined to do?
2. What discovery did Conchis describe in relation to Lily and where did he believe those feelings came from?
3. What happens to Nicholas when he accompanies Demetriades and what does he do about this?
4. What happens between Nicholas and Alison in the hut and what does this lead Nicholas to decide to do?
5. What happens when Nicholas tells Conchis that he believes he contracted syphilis?
6. What discussion takes place in regard to the voices heard by Nicholas the night before?
7. How did Conchis describe his time in Word War II and how it affected him?
8. What does the main character of this novel learn and how long does he have to gather this information?
9. What does Lily admit to Nicholas while they are together on the beach after lunch?
10. What does Nicholas receive from Maria and what is contained in what he receives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the author use foreshadowing within this novel? Which events were foreshadowed? Was the technique successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is the novel's key thematic and narrative point that personal identity and integrity depends on the power of choice? Do you agree with this idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an analysis of this book based on the context of the writing style, language and development of characterization. Include the writing from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)