|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nicholas find Athens?
2. Where do Alison and Nicholas go after they leave the airport?
3. Which of the following best describes how Nicholas views himself as a poet?
4. What disease does Nicholas believe he contracts?
5. With whom does Conchis take refuge after he leaves England?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nicholas feel about the boys and his colleagues at the school?
2. What information does Conchis volunteer to Nicholas?
3. What does Nicholas think Conchis is doing to him and how does that relate to Levierre and Mitford?
4. What had changed in the room Nicholas was using when he stayed at Conchis' villa and how was it different?
5. What does Lily admit to Nicholas while they are together on the beach after lunch?
6. What factual elements does Nicholas realize were present in Conchis' masque?
7. What happens to Nicholas as he follows Julie to the house?
8. Why does Nicholas say that he will not be able to have sex with her and how does she decide to handle this news?
9. What happens when Nicholas tells Conchis that he believes he contracted syphilis?
10. What decisions did Conchis come to in regard to war and what did this make him determined to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What leads Nicholas to become aware that his connection to and feeling for Alison is the beginning of his new personal truth? Does this beginning blossom or fizzle out? How and why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways were climaxes in this novel matched in narrative with sexual ones within the novel? Do you believe this was the author's intention? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How would you describe the character of Conchis? Why do you think he is so manipulative? Do you believe you would have been as compliant as Nicholas was? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)