|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes how Nicholas slept after seeing who he thought was Lily?
2. How does Nicholas fill his time after he is cured from his disease?
3. What surprises Nicholas when he returns to Conchis' home?
4. What does Nicholas tell the gatekeeper when he returns his gun?
5. What does Nicholas think Conchis might be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas do once he returns to school in regards to the villa?
2. Who does Nicholas contact via letter and what does he hope to happen because of the letter?
3. What does Nicholas see when he goes downstairs himself after Conchis heads upstairs?
4. What does Nicholas decide about meeting Alison and what does he resolve to do about it?
5. What discovery did Conchis describe in relation to Lily and where did he believe those feelings came from?
6. What does Nicholas think about as he lies down and reflects on Conchis and how does Nicholas feel about this?
7. What information does Conchis volunteer to Nicholas?
8. Why does Nicholas say that he will not be able to have sex with her and how does she decide to handle this news?
9. What happens between Nicholas and Alison in the hut and what does this lead Nicholas to decide to do?
10. What does Nicholas discover when he is heading to his favorite part of the island on his hike and how does he feel upon this discovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the author use foreshadowing within this novel? Which events were foreshadowed? Was the technique successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an analysis of this book based on the context of the writing style, language and development of characterization. Include the writing from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe the author referred to the villa as "the waiting room?" Do you believe it is an accurate term? Why or why not?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)