|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nicholas respond to Alison's emotional reaction?
2. Which of the following words best describes how Nicholas slept after seeing who he thought was Lily?
3. What does Nicholas see in the garden?
4. Which of the following best describes Nicholas' emotionality?
5. What would happen if Nicholas lost the game of chance Conchis proposed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas discover when he is heading to his favorite part of the island on his hike and how does he feel upon this discovery?
2. What happens when Nicholas tells Conchis that he believes he contracted syphilis?
3. What does Nicholas see when he goes downstairs himself after Conchis heads upstairs?
4. What does Nicholas receive from Maria and what is contained in what he receives?
5. While Nicholas is walking back to the school after his weekend with Conchis, what does he feel as though he entered?
6. What discovery does Nicholas make in Conchis' home and what very specific information about one of the items does Nicholas learn?
7. What realization does Nicholas come to in regard to Alison and then about himself?
8. What does Nicholas do once he returns to school in regards to the villa?
9. As Alison and Nicholas walk back toward town, what does Nicholas become more aware of and what does he then tell Alison as a result?
10. What decisions did Conchis come to in regard to war and what did this make him determined to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an analysis of this book based on the context of the writing style, language and development of characterization. Include the writing from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What does the author intend to be the biggest shock to Nicholas in this novel? What does the author intend to be the biggest shock to the reader in this novel? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 3
What leads Nicholas to become aware that his connection to and feeling for Alison is the beginning of his new personal truth? Does this beginning blossom or fizzle out? How and why do you think this way?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)