|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nicholas find Athens?
2. When were the huts at the top of Parnassus abandoned?
3. What does Nicholas say began after he returned to his life at school?
4. How does Conchis explain Lily's twin sister?
5. How does Nicholas respond when Alison indicates her desire to have sex with Nicholas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas discover when he is heading to his favorite part of the island on his hike and how does he feel upon this discovery?
2. What does Nicholas see when he goes downstairs himself after Conchis heads upstairs?
3. As Nicholas and Conchis are walking back to the house and pass the Poseidon statue, what does Lily admit to Nicholas?
4. What does Nicholas receive from Maria and what is contained in what he receives?
5. How does Nicholas feel about the boys and his colleagues at the school?
6. What shocks Nicholas when he is looking around the music room?
7. What does Nicholas decide about meeting Alison and what does he resolve to do about it?
8. What does Nicholas do once he returns to school in regards to the villa?
9. What had changed in the room Nicholas was using when he stayed at Conchis' villa and how was it different?
10. What information does Conchis volunteer to Nicholas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an analysis of this book based on the narrative of the journey Nicholas goes through, the way its events are structured and entwined with his external and internal realizations. Include an examination from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways were climaxes in this novel matched in narrative with sexual ones within the novel? Do you believe this was the author's intention? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think so many men fell for Conchis' ploys? Do you think this could happen in real-life? Do you think people are that gullible? Why or why not?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)