|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the conversation between Nicholas and Lily on the beach end?
2. How does Nicholas pass the time before dinner?
3. Which of the following characters was Nicholas' predecessor at the school?
4. Which of the following characters is the protagonist of this novel?
5. How does Nicholas fill his time after he is cured from his disease?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas read and what is it about?
2. What does Lily admit to Nicholas while they are together on the beach after lunch?
3. What happens to Nicholas' interest in Alison and what does she plan on doing because of this?
4. What does Nicholas think Conchis is doing to him and how does that relate to Levierre and Mitford?
5. How does Alison respond to Nicholas and what realization does he come to after receiving her response?
6. What does Nicholas speculate about the 'Nazis' and what happens to him?
7. What does Nicholas discover when he is heading to his favorite part of the island on his hike and how does he feel upon this discovery?
8. What conclusions did Nicholas draw about what was happening to him at Bourani?
9. What discovery does Nicholas make in Conchis' home and what very specific information about one of the items does Nicholas learn?
10. What happens between Nicholas and Alison in the hut and what does this lead Nicholas to decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does the author use symbolism in this novel? Do you feel the use of symbolism is effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How did the author use foreshadowing within this novel? Which events were foreshadowed? Was the technique successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an analysis of this book based on the consideration the revelation at the novel's conclusion that most all Nicholas experiences is engineered and manipulated by others. Include an examination from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)