Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas do after breakfast?
2. What does the message from Conchis tell Nicholas?
3. How does Alison respond to Nicholas' confession about Bourani?
4. What conclusion does Nicholas come to about Conchis in this section of the novel?
5. What does Nicholas think Conchis might be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What resolution does Nicholas come to about Conchis and privacy as well as Conchis and Alison?
2. What does Conchis tell Nicholas happened to him after he safely makes it back to England?
3. What discovery does Nicholas make in Conchis' home and what very specific information about one of the items does Nicholas learn?
4. What four events does Conchis share with Nicholas as he begins the story of his life?
5. What happens when Nicholas sees Lily again and what does he tell her about his weekend with Alison?
6. How does Alison respond to Nicholas and what realization does he come to after receiving her response?
7. What happens to Nicholas when he accompanies Demetriades and what does he do about this?
8. Who does Nicholas contact via letter and what does he hope to happen because of the letter?
9. What does Nicholas decide about meeting Alison and what does he resolve to do about it?
10. What factual elements does Nicholas realize were present in Conchis' masque?
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does the author use symbolism in this novel? Do you feel the use of symbolism is effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In what way does this novel examine the overall idea of relationships between men and women? Do you believe they are described accurately by the author? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an analysis of this book based on the consideration the revelation at the novel's conclusion that most all Nicholas experiences is engineered and manipulated by others. Include an examination from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)