|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Conchis respond when Nicholas apologizes?
2. What does Nicholas discover he has as he leaves Conchis' villa?
3. When did Conchis experience the joys of simple sensation?
4. What would happen if Nicholas lost the game of chance Conchis proposed?
5. What did Nicholas find in Conchis' home that he found astonishing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization does Nicholas come to in regard to Alison and then about himself?
2. How does the character of Mitford describe life on the island to Nicholas and what does he speak mysteriously about?
3. What had changed in the room Nicholas was using when he stayed at Conchis' villa and how was it different?
4. Why does Leverrier refuse to speak with Nicholas about his personal experience at the villa?
5. What does Nicholas do once he returns to school in regards to the villa?
6. What does the main character of this novel learn and how long does he have to gather this information?
7. What does Nicholas tell Julie when they are alone and how does she respond?
8. What relationship did Conchis tell Nicholas about and in what way was he like Conchis?
9. What does Lily admit to Nicholas while they are together on the beach after lunch?
10. How does Conchis describe the series of events that brought him to where he is today and how does he indicate it has affected him?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the theme of NIcholas' transformation from the beginning of the novel through the end? Would you describe him at the end as being as selfish, overly indulgent and lazy as he was at the beginning?
Essay Topic 2
Write an analysis of this book based on the consideration the revelation at the novel's conclusion that most all Nicholas experiences is engineered and manipulated by others. Include an examination from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does the author use symbolism in this novel? Do you feel the use of symbolism is effective? Why?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)