|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters was Nicholas' predecessor at the school?
2. What does Nicholas tell the gatekeeper when he returns his gun?
3. Where do Alison and Nicholas go after they leave the airport?
4. What does Nicholas smell as he is getting ready for bed?
5. How does Alison respond to Nicholas' confession about Bourani?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas do once he returns to school in regards to the villa?
2. What does Nicholas think Conchis is doing to him and how does that relate to Levierre and Mitford?
3. What happens to Nicholas' interest in Alison and what does she plan on doing because of this?
4. What happens when Nicholas tells Conchis that he believes he contracted syphilis?
5. What decisions did Conchis come to in regard to war and what did this make him determined to do?
6. What does Nicholas see when he goes downstairs himself after Conchis heads upstairs?
7. Who does Nicholas contact via letter and what does he hope to happen because of the letter?
8. While Nicholas is walking back to the school after his weekend with Conchis, what does he feel as though he entered?
9. What does Nicholas read and what is it about?
10. What shocks Nicholas when he is looking around the music room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an analysis of this book based on the narrative of the journey Nicholas goes through, the way its events are structured and entwined with his external and internal realizations. Include an examination from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe Nicholas' actions brought Conchis' game to a predestined conclusion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an analysis of this book based on the context of the writing style, language and development of characterization. Include the writing from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)