|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas discover he has as he leaves Conchis' villa?
2. At the end of this section, where is Nicholas headed?
3. What does Nicholas smell as he is getting ready for bed?
4. Where does Nicholas go after lunch?
5. What does Nicholas do when he returns to his room instead of preparing to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nicholas say that he will not be able to have sex with her and how does she decide to handle this news?
2. What information does Conchis volunteer to Nicholas?
3. What discovery does Nicholas make in Conchis' home and what very specific information about one of the items does Nicholas learn?
4. What does Nicholas receive from Maria and what is contained in what he receives?
5. What does Nicholas decide about meeting Alison and what does he resolve to do about it?
6. What shocks Nicholas when he is looking around the music room?
7. What happens to Nicholas' interest in Alison and what does she plan on doing because of this?
8. What happens between Nicholas and Alison in the hut and what does this lead Nicholas to decide to do?
9. What kind of novel is this novel and how does the narrative structure play into this framework?
10. What realization does Nicholas come to in regard to Alison and then about himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an analysis of this book based on the context of the writing style, language and development of characterization. Include the writing from beginning of the novel through the end of the novel including specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe the author referred to the villa as "the waiting room?" Do you believe it is an accurate term? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe Nicholas' actions brought Conchis' game to a predestined conclusion? Why or why not?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)