|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nicholas present himself to Mrs. de Seitas?
(a) As a newspaper reporter.
(b) As another childhood neighbor.
(c) As someone interested in her personally.
(d) As doing research on Conchis.
2. What does Conchis tell Nicholas will happen after the summer?
(a) He will be sent away from Greece.
(b) He will never see Julie again.
(c) Conchis will be gone.
(d) The villa will be destroyed.
3. What does June want Nicholas to coax Julie to do?
(a) Move in with him.
(b) Tell him everything.
(c) Help her escape.
(d) Sleep with him.
4. What is Conchis holding when he appears near the Poseidon statue?
(a) A gun.
(b) An axe.
(c) A shovel.
(d) A knife.
5. How is Conchis dressed when he meets Nicholas for breakfast?
(a) In WWII clothing.
(b) As a businessman.
(c) In traditional Greek clothing.
(d) As a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confession does Julie make to Nicholas about when she was younger?
2. How does Conchis react when he learns that Nicholas has been in contact with Julie?
3. What does Mrs. de Seitas say of Alison?
4. Why does Julie run away from Nicholas?
5. What does Nicholas tell Alison he is now prepared to admit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mitford tell Nicholas?
2. Who visits Nicholas and what purpose does Nicholas believe this visit serves?
3. What happens when Nicholas sees Lily again and what does he tell her about his weekend with Alison?
4. What does Nicholas tell Julie when they are alone and how does she respond?
5. What does Alison tell Nicholas when he accuses her of lying?
6. What does Nicholas see at the end of the long procession that is carried by four men and what is the purpose of this item?
7. What factual elements does Nicholas realize were present in Conchis' masque?
8. How does Nicholas feel about Julie and Alison in this section?
9. What replies does Nicholas get to his letters about Julie and how does this make him feel?
10. What does Nicholas notice in the house after he finishes his swim and what information does he learn?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)