|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Julie run away from Nicholas?
(a) She has nervous fear.
(b) She doesn't want anyone to overhear.
(c) It is in the script.
(d) Conchis has ordered it.
2. What does Nicholas noticed have disappeared?
(a) Several pieces of art.
(b) Julie, June and Joe.
(c) His bedroom furniture.
(d) Maria's clothes.
3. What happens when Nicholas returns to the house?
(a) He is surrounded by men in WWII German uniforms.
(b) Conchis sends him away from the villa.
(c) Maria gives him a telegram.
(d) Joe pushes him to the ground and fights with him.
4. What happens as Nicholas is leaving where June and Julie stayed during the masque?
(a) A group of soldiers takes them both away.
(b) Conchis locks Nicholas in with Julie.
(c) June kills Julie.
(d) Julie is violently grabbed.
5. What is happening, according to Conchis, at the same moment as the fire was destroying the de Doukans' home?
(a) Nygaard's encounter with God.
(b) Conchis's father's death.
(c) Nicholas's birth.
(d) Lily's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Nicholas unable to leave?
2. Who does Nicholas meet for lunch?
3. How does Nicholas feel when he wakes up?
4. Who does June claim has been following her?
5. What does Nicholas find waiting for him when he gets back to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas challenge Alison to accept?
2. What replies does Nicholas get to his letters about Julie and how does this make him feel?
3. What does Nicholas do to try to reconcile with Alison and what does he say?
4. What does Nicholas notice in the house after he finishes his swim and what information does he learn?
5. What factual elements does Nicholas realize were present in Conchis' masque?
6. How does Nicholas feel about his reactions to Conchis' tests?
7. What happens when Nicholas sees Lily again and what does he tell her about his weekend with Alison?
8. What happens to Nicholas as he follows Julie to the house?
9. What does Alison tell Nicholas when he accuses her of lying?
10. What does Nicholas see at the end of the long procession that is carried by four men and what is the purpose of this item?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)