|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the song Nicholas heard when he was going to commit suicide?
(b) Surprisingly rigid.
(c) Indicative of Nicholas's new lifestyle.
(d) Wild and seductive.
2. What does Nicholas do after breakfast?
(a) Waits for Conchis in the garden.
(b) Goes to the beach to swim.
(c) Searches for what made the sounds he heard.
(d) Tries to engage Maria in conversation.
3. What does Lily allow Nicholas to do before she leaves him?
(a) Kiss her on the mouth.
(b) Send a message with her to Conchis.
(c) Hypnotize her.
(d) Ask her one last question.
4. When were the huts at the top of Parnassus abandoned?
(a) During the rainy season.
(b) Early Greek civilization.
(c) End of WWII.
(d) End of WWI.
5. With whom does Conchis take refuge after he leaves England?
(b) Army buddy.
(c) Greek uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas do instead of visiting the villa?
2. What kind of habitation does Nicholas notice near the villa?
3. Which of the following characters is the protagonist of this novel?
4. Why doesn't Conchis eat breakfast with Nicholas?
5. What causes Nicholas to flee in a fearful panic after his nap?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas think Conchis is doing to him and how does that relate to Levierre and Mitford?
2. What does Lily admit to Nicholas while they are together on the beach after lunch?
3. What does Nicholas consider when he realizes that he is a very bad poet and what actually happens?
4. What does Nicholas receive from Maria and what is contained in what he receives?
5. What discovery does Nicholas make in Conchis' home and what very specific information about one of the items does Nicholas learn?
6. Who does Nicholas contact via letter and what does he hope to happen because of the letter?
7. What does Nicholas do once he returns to school in regards to the villa?
8. What four events does Conchis share with Nicholas as he begins the story of his life?
9. What does Nicholas see when he goes downstairs himself after Conchis heads upstairs?
10. What information does Conchis volunteer to Nicholas?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)