|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas smell as he is getting ready for bed?
(a) Flowers from the garden smell.
(b) Rotting corpse smell.
(c) Woman's perfume smell.
(d) Ammunition smell.
2. Why doesn't Nicholas reveal his feelings to the female visitor?
(a) He is too afraid of Conchis's reaction.
(b) He is too careful and polite.
(c) He is too awkward and shy.
(d) He is too surprised to see her.
3. Which of the following terms describes how Conchis saved his own life and got out of France?
(a) Wounded in action.
(b) Duplicitous means.
(c) Honorably discharged.
(d) Leaving the war without permission.
4. What did Conchis study when he was in Argentina?
5. How does Conchis get Nicholas to play?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is the protagonist of this novel?
2. What does Nicholas challenge Lily to admit?
3. Who arrives to interrupt Nicholas' thoughts?
4. How does Conchis respond when Nicholas asks him about a woman he saw?
5. Which of the following characters was the name of the woman Conchis fell in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had changed in the room Nicholas was using when he stayed at Conchis' villa and how was it different?
2. What does Nicholas think Conchis is doing to him and how does that relate to Levierre and Mitford?
3. What decisions did Conchis come to in regard to war and what did this make him determined to do?
4. What does Nicholas think about as he lies down and reflects on Conchis and how does Nicholas feel about this?
5. What relationship did Conchis tell Nicholas about and in what way was he like Conchis?
6. Why does Nicholas say that he will not be able to have sex with her and how does she decide to handle this news?
7. What happens when Nicholas tells Conchis that he believes he contracted syphilis?
8. Who does Nicholas contact via letter and what does he hope to happen because of the letter?
9. How did Conchis describe his time in Word War II and how it affected him?
10. What happens to Nicholas when he accompanies Demetriades and what does he do about this?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)