|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the woman who Nicholas believes to be Lily do when he approaches?
(a) Talks to him.
(b) Reaches out to him.
2. Which of the following terms describes how Conchis saved his own life and got out of France?
(a) Honorably discharged.
(b) Leaving the war without permission.
(c) Duplicitous means.
(d) Wounded in action.
3. What is Nicholas searching for as this novel opens?
(a) A teacher.
(b) His parents.
(c) A wife.
(d) A job.
4. How does Conchis respond when Nicholas asks him about a woman he saw?
(a) He tells him it was Lily.
(b) He tells him to be patient.
(c) He tells him he was hallucinating.
(d) He tells him there are no women in the villa.
5. Where do Alison and Nicholas go after they leave the airport?
(a) To Bourani.
(b) Mount Parnassus and Delphi.
(c) On a trip around the countryside.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of habitation does Nicholas notice near the villa?
2. Which of the following characters was Nicholas' predecessor at the school?
3. Which of the following terms best describes how Nicholas feels about his experiences at the school so far?
4. What does the message from Conchis tell Nicholas?
5. At the end of this section, where is Nicholas headed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Nicholas and Alison in the hut and what does this lead Nicholas to decide to do?
2. What discussion takes place in regard to the voices heard by Nicholas the night before?
3. What does Nicholas consider when he realizes that he is a very bad poet and what actually happens?
4. What does Nicholas observe after he releases Lily and watches her go?
5. What shocks Nicholas when he is looking around the music room?
6. What discovery did Conchis describe in relation to Lily and where did he believe those feelings came from?
7. What does Nicholas read and what is it about?
8. What does Nicholas discover when he is heading to his favorite part of the island on his hike and how does he feel upon this discovery?
9. Why does Nicholas say that he will not be able to have sex with her and how does she decide to handle this news?
10. How did Conchis describe his time in Word War II and how it affected him?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)