|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Conchis' answer to Nicholas when he questions him?
(a) He must not ask questions.
(b) He must believe.
(c) He can leave if he wants.
(d) He must trust Conchis and himself.
2. Where does Nicholas go after he leaves the school on the morning of his return?
(a) To meet Alison.
(b) To walk on the beach.
(c) Fishing huts on the coast.
(d) Directly to the villa.
3. How does Conchis explain war to Nicholas?
(a) Incomprehensible pain with no reward.
(b) Surprises of character and strength.
(c) Candor and surprise mixed with grief and death.
(d) Young men vowing to take a chance on dying.
4. What does Nicholas tell the gatekeeper when he returns his gun?
(a) It missed its target.
(b) He took the gun by mistake.
(c) It did not have any ammunition.
(d) He found the gun.
5. What does the woman who Nicholas believes to be Lily do when he approaches?
(a) Talks to him.
(b) Reaches out to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nicholas pass the time before dinner?
2. What does Mitford tell Nicholas to be wary of?
3. Which of the following words best describes how Nicholas slept after seeing who he thought was Lily?
4. Which of the following characters was the name of the woman Conchis fell in love with?
5. What does Lily allow Nicholas to do before she leaves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of novel is this novel and how does the narrative structure play into this framework?
2. How does Conchis describe the series of events that brought him to where he is today and how does he indicate it has affected him?
3. How did Conchis describe his time in Word War II and how it affected him?
4. What does Nicholas think about as he lies down and reflects on Conchis and how does Nicholas feel about this?
5. What realization does Nicholas come to in regard to Alison and then about himself?
6. What does Nicholas decide about meeting Alison and what does he resolve to do about it?
7. Why does Nicholas say that he will not be able to have sex with her and how does she decide to handle this news?
8. What does Nicholas think Conchis is doing to him and how does that relate to Levierre and Mitford?
9. What does Conchis tell Nicholas happened to him after he safely makes it back to England?
10. What decisions did Conchis come to in regard to war and what did this make him determined to do?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)