|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following terms best describes Maria as she brings breakfast to Nicholas?
2. What does Nicholas do instead of visiting the villa?
(a) Continues on his adventure.
(b) Hides and spies on the villa.
(c) Runs in the opposite direction.
(d) Returns to school.
3. What would happen if Nicholas lost the game of chance Conchis proposed?
(a) He would have to leave the villa.
(b) He would die.
(c) He would be expelled from the island.
(d) He would have to tell Conchis his secrets.
4. How does Nicholas react to the smoke he sees coming from the chimney of a house?
5. What does Conchis use to distract Lily?
(a) Making tea.
(b) Talking about the telegram.
(c) Helping to reconstruct a garden wall.
(d) Hypnotizing Nicholas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What captivates Nicholas immediately upon his arrival in Greece?
2. What disease does Nicholas believe he contracts?
3. What does Conchis want Nicholas to tell him about?
4. Which of the following characters owns the villa?
5. How does Conchis get Nicholas to play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Nicholas' interest in Alison and what does she plan on doing because of this?
2. What does Lily admit to Nicholas while they are together on the beach after lunch?
3. What four events does Conchis share with Nicholas as he begins the story of his life?
4. What kind of novel is this novel and how does the narrative structure play into this framework?
5. What does Nicholas receive from Maria and what is contained in what he receives?
6. What does Nicholas see when he goes downstairs himself after Conchis heads upstairs?
7. What had changed in the room Nicholas was using when he stayed at Conchis' villa and how was it different?
8. What happens to Nicholas when he accompanies Demetriades and what does he do about this?
9. What realization does Nicholas come to in regard to Alison and then about himself?
10. What shocks Nicholas when he is looking around the music room?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)