|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Conchis take a break while telling Nicholas his life story?
(a) To regain his composure.
(b) To get some brandy.
(c) To check on the dessert.
(d) To catch Nicholas off guard.
2. How does Nicholas react to the smoke he sees coming from the chimney of a house?
3. What does Nicholas continue to search for in the bathroom and around the house?
(a) More pieces of art.
(b) Journals or other indications of past memories.
(c) Hidden passageways.
(d) Signs of femininity.
4. What does Nicholas say began after he returned to his life at school?
(c) Physical deterioration.
(d) Spiritual visits.
5. Where does Conchis take Nicholas on a tour?
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Conchis go to after he leaves England?
2. Which of the following describes the character of Miftord?
3. What does the message from Conchis tell Nicholas?
4. How does Mitford describe life on the island to Nicholas?
5. What kind of habitation does Nicholas notice near the villa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of novel is this novel and how does the narrative structure play into this framework?
2. Why does Nicholas say that he will not be able to have sex with her and how does she decide to handle this news?
3. As Nicholas and Conchis are walking back to the house and pass the Poseidon statue, what does Lily admit to Nicholas?
4. What does Nicholas discover when he is heading to his favorite part of the island on his hike and how does he feel upon this discovery?
5. What does Nicholas see when he goes downstairs himself after Conchis heads upstairs?
6. How did Conchis describe his time in Word War II and how it affected him?
7. How does Conchis describe the series of events that brought him to where he is today and how does he indicate it has affected him?
8. What does Nicholas receive from Maria and what is contained in what he receives?
9. How does the character of Mitford describe life on the island to Nicholas and what does he speak mysteriously about?
10. What discovery did Conchis describe in relation to Lily and where did he believe those feelings came from?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)