|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Conchis show Nicholas at the end of this section?
(a) A glove.
(b) A dead octopus.
(c) A statuette.
(d) A woman in white.
2. How does Conchis explain war to Nicholas?
(a) Candor and surprise mixed with grief and death.
(b) Young men vowing to take a chance on dying.
(c) Incomprehensible pain with no reward.
(d) Surprises of character and strength.
3. When did Conchis experience the joys of simple sensation?
(a) When he watched his friends die.
(b) When he returned safely from the battles.
(c) When he was wounded in battle.
(d) When he posed as a corpse.
4. When did conversation between Nicholas and Conchis become particularly difficult?
(a) When Conchis was asked why he invited Nicholas to his home.
(b) When Nicholas was asked if he had any women in his life.
(c) When Conchis was asked about the events in WWII.
(d) When Nicholas was asked why he had come to Greece.
5. What does Nicholas discover he has as he leaves Conchis' villa?
(a) Alison waiting for him.
(c) The Magus.
(d) Woman's glove.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the message from Conchis tell Nicholas?
2. What does Nicholas continue to hear that it appears Conchis does not hear?
3. Which of the following is not an accurate description Conchis uses as related to Nicholas?
4. What is Nicholas searching for as this novel opens?
5. What does Nicholas do instead of visiting the villa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas do once he returns to school in regards to the villa?
2. Why does Nicholas say that he will not be able to have sex with her and how does she decide to handle this news?
3. What kind of novel is this novel and how does the narrative structure play into this framework?
4. How does Alison respond to Nicholas and what realization does he come to after receiving her response?
5. What does Nicholas discover when he is heading to his favorite part of the island on his hike and how does he feel upon this discovery?
6. What happens between Nicholas and Alison in the hut and what does this lead Nicholas to decide to do?
7. What happens to Nicholas when he accompanies Demetriades and what does he do about this?
8. While Nicholas is walking back to the school after his weekend with Conchis, what does he feel as though he entered?
9. What happens to Nicholas' interest in Alison and what does she plan on doing because of this?
10. What four events does Conchis share with Nicholas as he begins the story of his life?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)