|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Nicholas when he returns to Conchis' home?
(a) That Conchis is not home.
(b) That there is no acknowledgement at having seen the mysterious woman.
(c) That the door is answered by a new woman.
(d) That Conchis has had contact with Alison.
2. How does Demetriades appear to spend all of his free time?
(a) Hanging out with students.
(b) Drinking and visiting brothels.
(c) Studying for further exams.
(d) Secluding himself in his room.
3. What does Nicholas find in one of the library books in his bedroom?
(a) Pictures of various members of the village.
(b) The life history of Conchis.
(c) A pictorial documentation of the female breast.
(d) Books about art.
4. What sort of people does Conchis hint that Nicholas is?
5. How does Nicholas fill his time after he is cured from his disease?
(a) Visiting bars.
(b) Going out to brothels.
(c) Writing poetry.
(d) Studying for teaching exams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lily allow Nicholas to do before she leaves him?
2. How does Conchis say the young woman who will be joining him and Nicholas should be treated?
3. Why does Conchis take a break while telling Nicholas his life story?
4. Where do Nicholas and Alison take refuge for the night?
5. What disease does Nicholas believe he contracts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas do once he returns to school in regards to the villa?
2. What replies does Nicholas get to his letters about Julie and how does this make him feel?
3. Who does Nicholas contact via letter and what does he hope to happen because of the letter?
4. How does Conchis describe the series of events that brought him to where he is today and how does he indicate it has affected him?
5. What does Nicholas observe after he releases Lily and watches her go?
6. How does Alison respond to Nicholas and what realization does he come to after receiving her response?
7. What discovery did Conchis describe in relation to Lily and where did he believe those feelings came from?
8. While Nicholas is walking back to the school after his weekend with Conchis, what does he feel as though he entered?
9. How does Nicholas feel about Julie and Alison in this section?
10. What happens to Nicholas as he follows Julie to the house?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)