Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas do after breakfast?
(a) Goes to the beach to swim.
(b) Searches for what made the sounds he heard.
(c) Waits for Conchis in the garden.
(d) Tries to engage Maria in conversation.
2. What does the message from Conchis tell Nicholas?
(a) That Nicholas has received a telegram.
(b) That Conchis wants him to leave the villa.
(c) That Nicholas should meet Conchis immediately.
(d) That Conchis was called away.
3. How does Alison respond to Nicholas' confession about Bourani?
(a) Reserved emotions.
(b) Surprise and quiet.
(c) Hurt and anger.
(d) Tears and pleadingly.
4. What conclusion does Nicholas come to about Conchis in this section of the novel?
(a) That he has special gifts and skills.
(b) That he is hiding the truth from Nicholas.
(c) That he cannot be trusted.
(d) That he must be mad.
5. What does Nicholas think Conchis might be?
(c) Divine being.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Conchis study when he was in Argentina?
2. What does Conchis insist in regard to Nicholas?
3. Which of the following characters is the protagonist of this novel?
4. Which of the following characters was the name of the woman Conchis fell in love with?
5. Which of the following does Conchis say about the odds of survival?
Short Essay Questions
1. What resolution does Nicholas come to about Conchis and privacy as well as Conchis and Alison?
2. What does Conchis tell Nicholas happened to him after he safely makes it back to England?
3. What discovery does Nicholas make in Conchis' home and what very specific information about one of the items does Nicholas learn?
4. What four events does Conchis share with Nicholas as he begins the story of his life?
5. What happens when Nicholas sees Lily again and what does he tell her about his weekend with Alison?
6. How does Alison respond to Nicholas and what realization does he come to after receiving her response?
7. What happens to Nicholas when he accompanies Demetriades and what does he do about this?
8. Who does Nicholas contact via letter and what does he hope to happen because of the letter?
9. What does Nicholas decide about meeting Alison and what does he resolve to do about it?
10. What factual elements does Nicholas realize were present in Conchis' masque?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)