|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nicholas fill his time after he is cured from his disease?
(a) Going out to brothels.
(b) Visiting bars.
(c) Writing poetry.
(d) Studying for teaching exams.
2. How does Nicholas react to the smoke he sees coming from the chimney of a house?
3. How does Conchis get Nicholas to play?
4. How does Conchis respond when Nicholas asks him about a woman he saw?
(a) He tells him to be patient.
(b) He tells him it was Lily.
(c) He tells him he was hallucinating.
(d) He tells him there are no women in the villa.
5. How does Conchis explain Lily's twin sister?
(a) He says she does not exist.
(b) He says that she has a split personality.
(c) He says he doesn't know what he is talking about.
(d) He says Nicholas created her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nicholas go after lunch?
2. What does Mitford tell Nicholas to be wary of?
3. What would happen if Nicholas lost the game of chance Conchis proposed?
4. What conclusion does Nicholas come to about Conchis in this section of the novel?
5. Why doesn't Conchis eat breakfast with Nicholas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusions did Nicholas draw about what was happening to him at Bourani?
2. What does Nicholas think about as he lies down and reflects on Conchis and how does Nicholas feel about this?
3. What does Nicholas read and what is it about?
4. How does the character of Mitford describe life on the island to Nicholas and what does he speak mysteriously about?
5. What four events does Conchis share with Nicholas as he begins the story of his life?
6. How does Nicholas feel about the boys and his colleagues at the school?
7. What does Nicholas discover when he is heading to his favorite part of the island on his hike and how does he feel upon this discovery?
8. What decisions did Conchis come to in regard to war and what did this make him determined to do?
9. What does Nicholas see when he goes downstairs himself after Conchis heads upstairs?
10. What discovery does Nicholas make in Conchis' home and what very specific information about one of the items does Nicholas learn?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)