|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Conchis want Nicholas to tell him about?
(b) His life before coming to Greece.
(c) What happened during his nap.
(d) The experiences he has faced.
2. What does Nicholas think Conchis' events the following evening will have to do with?
(a) Musical appreciation.
(b) Sexual education.
(c) Psychic communication.
3. How does Mitford describe life on the island to Nicholas?
4. Why does Conchis take a break while telling Nicholas his life story?
(a) To catch Nicholas off guard.
(b) To regain his composure.
(c) To get some brandy.
(d) To check on the dessert.
5. What does Nicholas do when he returns to his room instead of preparing to sleep?
(a) Heads down to the beach to walk.
(b) Looks at books from the small library.
(c) Stands by his window and waits.
(d) Searches the house for more women's garments.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Conchis study when he was in Argentina?
2. Which of the following best describes Nicholas' emotionality?
3. What would happen if Nicholas lost the game of chance Conchis proposed?
4. What does Nicholas resolve not to do?
5. What does Nicholas find when he returns to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shocks Nicholas when he is looking around the music room?
2. How does Conchis describe the series of events that brought him to where he is today and how does he indicate it has affected him?
3. What does Conchis tell Nicholas happened to him after he safely makes it back to England?
4. How does the character of Mitford describe life on the island to Nicholas and what does he speak mysteriously about?
5. What does Nicholas do once he returns to school in regards to the villa?
6. What discussion takes place in regard to the voices heard by Nicholas the night before?
7. What kind of novel is this novel and how does the narrative structure play into this framework?
8. How does Alison respond to Nicholas and what realization does he come to after receiving her response?
9. What does the main character of this novel learn and how long does he have to gather this information?
10. What does Nicholas observe after he releases Lily and watches her go?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)