|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nicholas feel after he asks Conchis the same question that Conchis had previously asked Nicholas who agrees and the two part ways?
(a) A realistic and reassuring relief.
(b) A strong desire to harm himself.
(c) An indescribable pain.
(d) An indescribable new sensation.
2. What does the message from Conchis tell Nicholas?
(a) That Conchis was called away.
(b) That Conchis wants him to leave the villa.
(c) That Nicholas should meet Conchis immediately.
(d) That Nicholas has received a telegram.
3. Which of the following is the best definition of the term banteringly as used in the following sentence: Nicholas and Alison speak banteringly of their love for each other.
4. What sort of people does Conchis hint that Nicholas is?
5. Which of the following is a priapus?
(a) Nazi war crimes.
(b) Representation of an ancient fertility god.
(c) Woman's glove.
(d) Central character in a Shakespeare play.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is found in the manifesto Nicholas reads?
2. What has changed in Nicholas' room?
3. Why did Conchis join the British army?
4. What conclusion does Nicholas come to about Conchis in this section of the novel?
5. What did Nicholas ask Conchis if he would agree to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What resolution does Nicholas come to about Conchis and privacy as well as Conchis and Alison?
2. What information does Conchis volunteer to Nicholas?
3. What does Lily admit to Nicholas while they are together on the beach after lunch?
4. What happens to Nicholas when he accompanies Demetriades and what does he do about this?
5. What does Nicholas think about as he lies down and reflects on Conchis and how does Nicholas feel about this?
6. What discovery does Nicholas make in Conchis' home and what very specific information about one of the items does Nicholas learn?
7. What realization does Nicholas come to in regard to Alison and then about himself?
8. What happens to Nicholas' interest in Alison and what does she plan on doing because of this?
9. As Nicholas and Conchis are walking back to the house and pass the Poseidon statue, what does Lily admit to Nicholas?
10. Who does Nicholas contact via letter and what does he hope to happen because of the letter?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)