|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Conchis take a break while telling Nicholas his life story?
(a) To regain his composure.
(b) To check on the dessert.
(c) To catch Nicholas off guard.
(d) To get some brandy.
2. Which of the following characters do the villagers claim never to have seen?
3. Why doesn't Nicholas reveal his feelings to the female visitor?
(a) He is too careful and polite.
(b) He is too afraid of Conchis's reaction.
(c) He is too surprised to see her.
(d) He is too awkward and shy.
4. What does Nicholas do instead of visiting the villa?
(a) Hides and spies on the villa.
(b) Continues on his adventure.
(c) Runs in the opposite direction.
(d) Returns to school.
5. What does Nicholas realize he wants in regard to Alison?
(a) To hurt her.
(b) To keep their relationship going.
(c) To marry her.
(d) To win her back.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Conchis respond when Nicholas apologizes?
2. What does Conchis show Nicholas at the end of this section?
3. What does Nicholas discover he has as he leaves Conchis' villa?
4. Which of the following words best describes how Nicholas slept after seeing who he thought was Lily?
5. When did conversation between Nicholas and Conchis become particularly difficult?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Conchis describe the series of events that brought him to where he is today and how does he indicate it has affected him?
2. How did Conchis describe his time in Word War II and how it affected him?
3. What does Nicholas consider when he realizes that he is a very bad poet and what actually happens?
4. What does Nicholas do once he returns to school in regards to the villa?
5. What does Nicholas see when he goes downstairs himself after Conchis heads upstairs?
6. What discussion takes place in regard to the voices heard by Nicholas the night before?
7. What had changed in the room Nicholas was using when he stayed at Conchis' villa and how was it different?
8. What does Nicholas read and what is it about?
9. What resolution does Nicholas come to about Conchis and privacy as well as Conchis and Alison?
10. What information does Conchis volunteer to Nicholas?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)