|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What conclusion does Nicholas come to about Conchis in this section of the novel?
(a) That he cannot be trusted.
(b) That he is hiding the truth from Nicholas.
(c) That he must be mad.
(d) That he has special gifts and skills.
2. What does Nicholas say began after he returned to his life at school?
(a) Physical deterioration.
(d) Spiritual visits.
3. What does Nicholas resolve not to do?
(a) Be angry.
(b) Be surprised.
(c) Be compliant.
(d) Be fooled.
4. Why doesn't Nicholas reveal his feelings to the female visitor?
(a) He is too careful and polite.
(b) He is too surprised to see her.
(c) He is too awkward and shy.
(d) He is too afraid of Conchis's reaction.
5. Which of the following best describes how Nicholas views himself as a poet?
(b) Publish worthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has changed in Nicholas' room?
2. Where does Nicholas go after lunch?
3. What does Conchis use to distract Lily?
4. How does Nicholas find Athens?
5. Which of the following best describes the song Nicholas heard when he was going to commit suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Nicholas and Conchis are walking back to the house and pass the Poseidon statue, what does Lily admit to Nicholas?
2. What does the main character of this novel learn and how long does he have to gather this information?
3. How does Alison respond to Nicholas and what realization does he come to after receiving her response?
4. How does Nicholas feel about the boys and his colleagues at the school?
5. How did Conchis describe his time in Word War II and how it affected him?
6. As Alison and Nicholas walk back toward town, what does Nicholas become more aware of and what does he then tell Alison as a result?
7. What discussion takes place in regard to the voices heard by Nicholas the night before?
8. What does Nicholas decide about meeting Alison and what does he resolve to do about it?
9. Why does Nicholas say that he will not be able to have sex with her and how does she decide to handle this news?
10. What kind of novel is this novel and how does the narrative structure play into this framework?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)