|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas do to Alison which he dreamed of doing to Lily, but never did?
(a) Striking her.
(b) Making love to her.
(c) Undressing her.
(d) Yelling at her.
2. Who does June claim has been following her?
3. What does Nicholas tell Julie he wants?
(a) To keep up the masque.
(b) To pretend they have made love.
(c) To marry her.
(d) To plot revenge on Conchis.
4. What does Alison do after Nicholas slaps her?
(c) Runs away.
5. What does Conchis refer to when confronted by Nicholas?
(b) Leverrier and Mitford.
(c) Theatrical masques.
(d) Julie and June.
6. How is Bourani when Nicholas passes it?
7. What does Mrs. de Seitas say of Alison?
(a) She has been browbeaten.
(b) She will never be found.
(c) She is actually dead.
(d) She has been won over.
8. How does Conchis describe Anton's treatment of the Greeks on the island during the war?
(a) Relatively lenient.
(b) Surprisingly easy.
(c) Extremely harsh.
(d) Exactly the same as other areas.
9. What does Nicholas do when he returns to school?
(a) Write letters to the people mentioned by Julie.
(b) Search for Conchis in Athens.
(c) Research Joe.
(d) Contact Alison.
10. How does Lily react to Nicholas' attempt to kiss her?
(a) She kisses him back.
(b) She slaps his face.
(c) She backs away.
(d) She begins to cry.
11. What is the empty litter described as being symbolic of?
(a) The outcome of Nicholas's life.
(b) The love between a man and a woman.
(c) Eternal mother goddess.
(d) Alison's life.
12. What does Conchis tell Nicholas will happen after the summer?
(a) The villa will be destroyed.
(b) He will never see Julie again.
(c) He will be sent away from Greece.
(d) Conchis will be gone.
13. Who is observing Julie and Nicholas?
14. What does Mrs. de Seitas ask Nicholas by telling him a parallel story?
(a) Not to do any harm to those involved.
(b) Not to look for Alison again.
(c) Not to continue to search out clues.
(d) Not to act with vengeance.
15. What does Nicholas learn about Conchis?
(a) He is dead and buried in Athens.
(b) He is waiting for him in England.
(c) He is married to Alison.
(d) He is one of the wealthiest men in Athens.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alison react to Nicholas' plan?
2. Why is Nicholas unable to leave?
3. What does Nicholas hope to find at Bourani?
4. What is happening, according to Conchis, at the same moment as the fire was destroying the de Doukans' home?
5. What is Nicholas offered in exchange for keeping quiet about the activities with Conchis?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)