|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Nicholas unable to leave?
(a) He is under constant guard.
(b) He is still drugged.
(c) He does not wish to leave.
(d) He is still bound.
2. How does Lily react to Nicholas' attempt to kiss her?
(a) She kisses him back.
(b) She backs away.
(c) She slaps his face.
(d) She begins to cry.
3. What does the man who played Anton tell Nicholas will happen?
(a) He will be taken before a court and judged.
(b) He is to be killed.
(c) He will soon be released.
(d) He will be forced to participate in the next masque.
4. Where does Nicholas think he is when he wakes up?
(a) The villa.
(b) The school.
(c) Conchis' yacht.
(d) The cave.
5. Who is observing Julie and Nicholas?
6. What is Nicholas offered in exchange for keeping quiet about the activities with Conchis?
(a) An additional stipend.
(b) A new position in a different area.
(c) A good reference.
(d) A secret about Conchis.
7. What gift does Mrs. de Seitas give to Nicholas?
(a) A letter of recommendation.
(b) The keys to the villa.
(c) A piece of pottery.
(d) A picture of Lily.
8. What does Nicholas plan after he returns to school?
(a) Revenge on Conchis.
(b) When he can return to the villa safely.
(c) How to help Julie and June escape.
(d) How to seduce Julie.
9. How does Conchis describe Anton's treatment of the Greeks on the island during the war?
(a) Relatively lenient.
(b) Extremely harsh.
(c) Surprisingly easy.
(d) Exactly the same as other areas.
10. What does June want Nicholas to coax Julie to do?
(a) Tell him everything.
(b) Sleep with him.
(c) Help her escape.
(d) Move in with him.
11. What does Mrs. de Seitas ask Nicholas by telling him a parallel story?
(a) Not to do any harm to those involved.
(b) Not to look for Alison again.
(c) Not to continue to search out clues.
(d) Not to act with vengeance.
12. Where does Nicholas ask Conchis about when he follows him into the woods?
(a) Why he read his telegram from Alison.
(b) What happened when he was hypnotized.
(c) What his intentions are toward Lily.
(d) What does Nicholas have to do to keep Lily.
13. Where did Julie and June stay while the masque was being held?
(d) Beach house.
14. What does Nicholas do when he returns to school?
(a) Contact Alison.
(b) Search for Conchis in Athens.
(c) Research Joe.
(d) Write letters to the people mentioned by Julie.
15. How is Bourani when Nicholas passes it?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Conchis dressed when he meets Nicholas for breakfast?
2. What does Nicholas do to Alison which he dreamed of doing to Lily, but never did?
3. What truth does Nicholas believe the experience was meant to teach him about how to live?
4. What happens when Nicholas returns to the house?
5. What does Nicholas hope to find at Bourani?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)