|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas tell Julie he wants?
(a) To marry her.
(b) To plot revenge on Conchis.
(c) To keep up the masque.
(d) To pretend they have made love.
2. How does Nicholas present himself to Mrs. de Seitas?
(a) As a newspaper reporter.
(b) As someone interested in her personally.
(c) As doing research on Conchis.
(d) As another childhood neighbor.
3. How does Alison react to Nicholas' plan?
(a) She is reserved.
(b) She is doubtful.
(c) She is excited.
(d) She is surprised.
4. How does Conchis describe Anton's treatment of the Greeks on the island during the war?
(a) Extremely harsh.
(b) Surprisingly easy.
(c) Relatively lenient.
(d) Exactly the same as other areas.
5. What does Nicholas plan after he returns to school?
(a) How to help Julie and June escape.
(b) Revenge on Conchis.
(c) How to seduce Julie.
(d) When he can return to the villa safely.
6. What does Nicholas do to Alison which he dreamed of doing to Lily, but never did?
(a) Making love to her.
(b) Undressing her.
(c) Yelling at her.
(d) Striking her.
7. What does Nicholas noticed have disappeared?
(a) His bedroom furniture.
(b) Julie, June and Joe.
(c) Several pieces of art.
(d) Maria's clothes.
8. Where does Nicholas ask Conchis about when he follows him into the woods?
(a) What does Nicholas have to do to keep Lily.
(b) What happened when he was hypnotized.
(c) What his intentions are toward Lily.
(d) Why he read his telegram from Alison.
9. What does Nicholas do when he returns to school?
(a) Write letters to the people mentioned by Julie.
(b) Search for Conchis in Athens.
(c) Contact Alison.
(d) Research Joe.
10. What does Nicholas become depressed and obsessive about?
(a) Searching for Conchis.
(b) Finding Alison.
(c) Plotting his revenge.
(d) Talking to Leverrier.
11. What profession is Leverrier?
12. Which of the following characters does Nicholas have a public outburst of anger at?
13. What does Nicholas say he experiences as he walks away?
(a) Anger and betrayal feelings.
(b) Surprises and elation.
(c) Fragments of freedom.
(d) Hope and despair together.
14. What confession does Julie make to Nicholas about when she was younger?
(a) She was raped.
(b) She had syphilis.
(c) She was married.
(d) She was seriously injured.
15. What does Mrs. de Seitas ask Nicholas by telling him a parallel story?
(a) Not to do any harm to those involved.
(b) Not to act with vengeance.
(c) Not to look for Alison again.
(d) Not to continue to search out clues.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man who played Anton tell Nicholas will happen?
2. How does Anubis get Nicholas to be quiet?
3. Why is Nicholas unable to leave?
4. How does Nicholas feel when he wakes up?
5. Where does Nicholas say he has already seen Anton?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)