|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Conchis show Nicholas at the end of this section?
(a) A woman in white.
(b) A statuette.
(c) A dead octopus.
(d) A glove.
2. What is Nicholas searching for as this novel opens?
(a) His parents.
(b) A job.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A wife.
3. Which of the following describes the character of Miftord?
(a) Patient and understanding teacher.
(b) Empathetic but rigid.
(c) Stiffly mannered soldier.
(d) Resigned and lacking life.
4. What does Nicholas tell Conchis about love?
(a) He has been in love before in his life.
(b) He has never felt love.
(c) He doesn't really know what it is.
(d) He thinks he is in love with Alison.
5. Which of the following terms describes how Conchis saved his own life and got out of France?
(a) Wounded in action.
(b) Honorably discharged.
(c) Leaving the war without permission.
(d) Duplicitous means.
6. Why doesn't Nicholas reveal his feelings to the female visitor?
(a) He is too surprised to see her.
(b) He is too afraid of Conchis's reaction.
(c) He is too careful and polite.
(d) He is too awkward and shy.
7. What did Nicholas find in Conchis' home that he found astonishing?
(a) Original works of art.
(b) Nude models.
(c) Mirrors everywhere.
(d) A large group of women.
8. How does Conchis say the young woman who will be joining him and Nicholas should be treated?
(a) As though she cannot talk.
(b) As though she is well known to them.
(c) As though she is an amnesiac.
(d) As though she cannot hear.
9. How does Nicholas pass the time before dinner?
(a) Exploring his bedroom.
(b) Searching for the owner of the glove.
(c) Looking around the music room.
(d) Walking on the beach.
10. What does Nicholas first think that Conchis may be concealing?
(a) The true story of his time in Germany.
(b) An unstable relative.
(c) A daughter, wife or mistress.
(d) Nazi war criminals.
11. How does Nicholas feel after he asks Conchis the same question that Conchis had previously asked Nicholas who agrees and the two part ways?
(a) An indescribable pain.
(b) An indescribable new sensation.
(c) A realistic and reassuring relief.
(d) A strong desire to harm himself.
12. What does Nicholas discover he has as he leaves Conchis' villa?
(a) Woman's glove.
(b) Alison waiting for him.
(c) The Magus.
13. Who is the visitor?
14. Which of the following best describes Nicholas' emotionality?
15. What did Conchis study when he was in Argentina?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Nicholas to flee in a fearful panic after his nap?
2. How does Nicholas respond when Alison indicates her desire to have sex with Nicholas?
3. How does Nicholas find Athens?
4. At the end of this section, where is Nicholas headed?
5. Which of the following is not an accurate description Conchis uses as related to Nicholas?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)