|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of habitation does Nicholas notice near the villa?
(a) Bird habitation.
(b) Masculine habitation.
(c) Feminine habitation.
(d) Animal habitation.
2. Why does Conchis take a break while telling Nicholas his life story?
(a) To catch Nicholas off guard.
(b) To get some brandy.
(c) To regain his composure.
(d) To check on the dessert.
3. Which of the following best describes Nicholas' emotionality?
4. Who is the visitor?
5. What is Nicholas searching for as this novel opens?
(a) His parents.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A wife.
(d) A job.
6. What does Nicholas continue to hear that it appears Conchis does not hear?
(a) Light, quick footsteps.
(b) Woman's soft singing.
(c) Someone calling for Nicholas.
(d) The wind hitting the waves.
7. How does Nicholas react to the smoke he sees coming from the chimney of a house?
8. What does Nicholas find in one of the library books in his bedroom?
(a) Pictures of various members of the village.
(b) A pictorial documentation of the female breast.
(c) The life history of Conchis.
(d) Books about art.
9. Where do Nicholas and Alison take refuge for the night?
(b) At the bottom of the mountain.
(c) In a tent under the stars.
(d) Abandoned hut.
10. What does Nicholas smell as he is getting ready for bed?
(a) Woman's perfume smell.
(b) Flowers from the garden smell.
(c) Ammunition smell.
(d) Rotting corpse smell.
11. Which of the following is the best definition of the term banteringly as used in the following sentence: Nicholas and Alison speak banteringly of their love for each other.
12. How does Conchis respond when Nicholas asks him about a woman he saw?
(a) He tells him to be patient.
(b) He tells him it was Lily.
(c) He tells him there are no women in the villa.
(d) He tells him he was hallucinating.
13. What wakes Alison and Nicholas up?
(b) Wandering shepherd.
14. Which of the following describes the character of Miftord?
(a) Empathetic but rigid.
(b) Stiffly mannered soldier.
(c) Patient and understanding teacher.
(d) Resigned and lacking life.
15. What does Nicholas do after breakfast?
(a) Tries to engage Maria in conversation.
(b) Waits for Conchis in the garden.
(c) Searches for what made the sounds he heard.
(d) Goes to the beach to swim.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has changed in Nicholas' room?
2. How does Conchis explain war to Nicholas?
3. Which of the following best describes the song Nicholas heard when he was going to commit suicide?
4. Which of the following characters was Nicholas' predecessor at the school?
5. What sort of people does Conchis hint that Nicholas is?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)