|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Nicholas and Alison take refuge for the night?
(a) Abandoned hut.
(b) In a tent under the stars.
(d) At the bottom of the mountain.
2. With whom does Conchis take refuge after he leaves England?
(c) Army buddy.
(d) Greek uncle.
3. What does Nicholas do after breakfast?
(a) Waits for Conchis in the garden.
(b) Goes to the beach to swim.
(c) Tries to engage Maria in conversation.
(d) Searches for what made the sounds he heard.
4. What wakes Alison and Nicholas up?
(c) Wandering shepherd.
5. Which of the following characters owns the villa?
6. Which of the following terms best describes Maria as she brings breakfast to Nicholas?
7. What does the woman who Nicholas believes to be Lily do when he approaches?
(a) Talks to him.
(d) Reaches out to him.
8. How does Nicholas describe the idea of being in Greece?
(a) Something he needed to be talked into.
(b) Taking an almost obsessive hold over him.
(c) His life's greatest desire.
(d) The only option for a future he had open to him.
9. What does Conchis use to distract Lily?
(a) Making tea.
(b) Helping to reconstruct a garden wall.
(c) Hypnotizing Nicholas.
(d) Talking about the telegram.
10. At the end of this section, where is Nicholas headed?
(a) To see Conchis.
(b) To see Lily.
(c) To see Alison.
(d) To see Mitford.
11. When did conversation between Nicholas and Conchis become particularly difficult?
(a) When Conchis was asked about the events in WWII.
(b) When Conchis was asked why he invited Nicholas to his home.
(c) When Nicholas was asked if he had any women in his life.
(d) When Nicholas was asked why he had come to Greece.
12. What does Nicholas tell the gatekeeper when he returns his gun?
(a) He found the gun.
(b) He took the gun by mistake.
(c) It missed its target.
(d) It did not have any ammunition.
13. When did Conchis return to Europe?
(a) When he finished his education.
(b) When his father died.
(c) When the war was over.
(d) When he got word that Lily was killed.
14. What kind of habitation does Nicholas notice near the villa?
(a) Feminine habitation.
(b) Bird habitation.
(c) Masculine habitation.
(d) Animal habitation.
15. What does Lily allow Nicholas to do before she leaves him?
(a) Send a message with her to Conchis.
(b) Kiss her on the mouth.
(c) Ask her one last question.
(d) Hypnotize her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes the character of Miftord?
2. What did Conchis study when he was in Argentina?
3. Why doesn't Conchis eat breakfast with Nicholas?
4. Which of the following does Conchis say about the odds of survival?
5. Who is the visitor?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)