|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Demetriades appear to spend all of his free time?
(a) Hanging out with students.
(b) Secluding himself in his room.
(c) Studying for further exams.
(d) Drinking and visiting brothels.
2. What does Nicholas realize he wants in regard to Alison?
(a) To hurt her.
(b) To marry her.
(c) To keep their relationship going.
(d) To win her back.
3. Which of the following is an inaccurate characterization of Nicholas Urfe?
(a) User of women.
(b) Disinterested Teacher.
(c) Published Poet.
(d) Self-involved child.
4. Which of the following is not an accurate description Conchis uses as related to Nicholas?
(d) A mess.
5. What does Mitford tell Nicholas to be wary of?
(a) Classroom in the basement.
(c) Women who help out on campus.
(d) Waiting room.
6. Which of the following terms best describes Maria as she brings breakfast to Nicholas?
7. What does Nicholas find when he returns to school?
(a) Letter from Alison.
(b) A picture of Lily.
(c) Student revolt.
(d) A book sent to him by Conchis.
8. In what language are the words "the waiting room" when Nicholas stumbles across the sign?
9. What does Conchis use to distract Lily?
(a) Hypnotizing Nicholas.
(b) Making tea.
(c) Talking about the telegram.
(d) Helping to reconstruct a garden wall.
10. How does Nicholas feel as he walks back to the school?
(a) As though he is returning to reality.
(b) As if he is looking through a thick fog.
(c) As if he is being punished.
(d) As if his life is just beginning.
11. What condition does Conchis put on Nicholas' ability to return to the villa?
(a) He must not ask any questions.
(b) He must never bring anyone else with him.
(c) He must keep Conchis's stories private.
(d) He must not miss a weekend.
12. Which of the following words best describes how Nicholas slept after seeing who he thought was Lily?
(a) With many dreams.
(b) He didn't sleep.
13. What wakes Alison and Nicholas up?
(c) Wandering shepherd.
14. Which of the following describes the character of Miftord?
(a) Empathetic but rigid.
(b) Stiffly mannered soldier.
(c) Resigned and lacking life.
(d) Patient and understanding teacher.
15. What did Nicholas find in Conchis' home that he found astonishing?
(a) Nude models.
(b) A large group of women.
(c) Original works of art.
(d) Mirrors everywhere.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Conchis say the young woman who will be joining him and Nicholas should be treated?
2. Which of the following does Conchis say about the odds of survival?
3. Which of the following is the best definition of the term banteringly as used in the following sentence: Nicholas and Alison speak banteringly of their love for each other.
4. What does Nicholas find in one of the library books in his bedroom?
5. What does Nicholas first think that Conchis may be concealing?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)