|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the woman who Nicholas believes to be Lily do when he approaches?
(b) Reaches out to him.
(d) Talks to him.
2. Where does Conchis take Nicholas on a tour?
3. What did Nicholas ask Conchis if he would agree to?
(a) To provide him with no women.
(b) To ask no questions.
(c) To allow him to move to the villa.
(d) To keep their conversation superficial.
4. How does Nicholas describe the idea of being in Greece?
(a) The only option for a future he had open to him.
(b) His life's greatest desire.
(c) Taking an almost obsessive hold over him.
(d) Something he needed to be talked into.
5. What does Nicholas challenge Lily to admit?
(a) She never died.
(b) She is not real.
(c) She has a twin sister.
(d) Conchis is trying to play tricks on Nicholas.
6. How does Conchis respond when Nicholas apologizes?
(a) He ignores Nicholas.
(b) He says that he is not offended.
(c) He walks away from Nicholas.
(d) He accepts the apology.
7. What does Conchis use to distract Lily?
(a) Hypnotizing Nicholas.
(b) Helping to reconstruct a garden wall.
(c) Talking about the telegram.
(d) Making tea.
8. Which of the following is the best definition of the term banteringly as used in the following sentence: Nicholas and Alison speak banteringly of their love for each other.
9. Why did Conchis join the British army?
(a) Because the woman he loved had also joined.
(b) To get over the loss of Lily.
(c) To overcome his addictions.
(d) To exorcise his sexual nature.
10. What does Nicholas find when he returns to school?
(a) Student revolt.
(b) A book sent to him by Conchis.
(c) A picture of Lily.
(d) Letter from Alison.
11. Which of the following is an inaccurate characterization of Nicholas Urfe?
(a) Disinterested Teacher.
(b) User of women.
(c) Published Poet.
(d) Self-involved child.
12. Who is the visitor?
13. How does Demetriades appear to spend all of his free time?
(a) Studying for further exams.
(b) Hanging out with students.
(c) Secluding himself in his room.
(d) Drinking and visiting brothels.
14. What does Nicholas tell the gatekeeper when he returns his gun?
(a) He took the gun by mistake.
(b) It did not have any ammunition.
(c) It missed its target.
(d) He found the gun.
15. What does Nicholas continue to search for in the bathroom and around the house?
(a) Signs of femininity.
(b) Hidden passageways.
(c) Journals or other indications of past memories.
(d) More pieces of art.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the message from Conchis tell Nicholas?
2. What does Nicholas do after breakfast?
3. Which of the following terms best describes how Nicholas feels about his experiences at the school so far?
4. What condition does Conchis put on Nicholas' ability to return to the villa?
5. What kind of habitation does Nicholas notice near the villa?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)