|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas see in the garden?
(a) Woman in white.
(b) Conchis talking to a woman.
(c) Two people in an embrace.
(d) Maria gathering flowers.
2. How does Mitford describe life on the island to Nicholas?
3. How does Nicholas feel as he walks back to the school?
(a) As if he is being punished.
(b) As though he is returning to reality.
(c) As if his life is just beginning.
(d) As if he is looking through a thick fog.
4. Which of the following best describes the song Nicholas heard when he was going to commit suicide?
(a) Surprisingly rigid.
(b) Indicative of Nicholas's new lifestyle.
(c) Wild and seductive.
5. Why does Conchis take a break while telling Nicholas his life story?
(a) To get some brandy.
(b) To regain his composure.
(c) To catch Nicholas off guard.
(d) To check on the dessert.
6. What is Nicholas searching for as this novel opens?
(a) A wife.
(b) His parents.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A job.
7. How does Conchis explain war to Nicholas?
(a) Surprises of character and strength.
(b) Candor and surprise mixed with grief and death.
(c) Incomprehensible pain with no reward.
(d) Young men vowing to take a chance on dying.
8. Which of the following is found in the manifesto Nicholas reads?
(a) It is possible to communicate with other life forms.
(b) It is necessary to be at one with nature.
(c) Life is all an illusion.
(d) Without reason, life is meaningless.
9. What does Mitford tell Nicholas to be wary of?
(b) Women who help out on campus.
(c) Waiting room.
(d) Classroom in the basement.
10. What does Conchis invite Nicholas to do?
11. What do Nicholas and Lily encounter as they walk back to the house?
(a) Statue o f Athena.
(b) Statue of Apollo.
(c) Statue of Poseidon.
(d) Statue of Anubis.
12. How does the conversation between Nicholas and Lily on the beach end?
(a) With a handshake.
(b) With Nicholas falling asleep.
(c) With Lily crying and leaving.
(d) With a kiss on the cheek.
13. Where does Conchis take Nicholas on a tour?
14. What happens to Lily a few days after Conchis leaves?
(a) She is raped.
(b) She becomes a nurse.
(c) She dies.
(d) She leaves.
15. What does Conchis use to distract Lily?
(a) Hypnotizing Nicholas.
(b) Helping to reconstruct a garden wall.
(c) Talking about the telegram.
(d) Making tea.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many English speaking teachers are there at Nicholas' school?
2. Which of the following terms best describes how the bedroom Nicholas is using is furnished?
3. What does Nicholas realize he wants in regard to Alison?
4. Which of the following characters do the villagers claim never to have seen?
5. What does Nicholas discover he has as he leaves Conchis' villa?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)