|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Conchis get Nicholas to play?
2. What country does Conchis go to after he leaves England?
3. What does Nicholas continue to hear that it appears Conchis does not hear?
(a) Someone calling for Nicholas.
(b) The wind hitting the waves.
(c) Light, quick footsteps.
(d) Woman's soft singing.
4. Which of the following describes the character of Miftord?
(a) Empathetic but rigid.
(b) Patient and understanding teacher.
(c) Resigned and lacking life.
(d) Stiffly mannered soldier.
5. What does Nicholas first think that Conchis may be concealing?
(a) The true story of his time in Germany.
(b) Nazi war criminals.
(c) An unstable relative.
(d) A daughter, wife or mistress.
6. Which of the following characters was the name of the woman Conchis fell in love with?
7. Where does this story take place?
8. Where do Nicholas and Alison take refuge for the night?
(b) In a tent under the stars.
(c) Abandoned hut.
(d) At the bottom of the mountain.
9. How does Nicholas find Athens?
10. How does Nicholas interpret the figure in all black wearing a mask that looks like the head of a jackal?
(a) Representation of the Egyptian god Anubis.
(b) Representation of his fantasies.
(c) Representation of Demetriades.
(d) Representation of yet another Greek god.
11. Which of the following is the best definition of the term banteringly as used in the following sentence: Nicholas and Alison speak banteringly of their love for each other.
12. What surprises Nicholas when he returns to Conchis' home?
(a) That Conchis is not home.
(b) That Conchis has had contact with Alison.
(c) That there is no acknowledgement at having seen the mysterious woman.
(d) That the door is answered by a new woman.
13. What does Nicholas say began after he returned to his life at school?
(b) Spiritual visits.
(d) Physical deterioration.
14. What was the name of the idealistic group of physicians Conchis joined?
(a) Society for Reason.
(b) Society to Provide Relief.
(c) Society Against War.
(d) Society to Help Others.
15. What does Nicholas do after breakfast?
(a) Tries to engage Maria in conversation.
(b) Goes to the beach to swim.
(c) Waits for Conchis in the garden.
(d) Searches for what made the sounds he heard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Conchis tell Nicholas he will be conducting the following evening?
2. What does Mitford tell Nicholas to be wary of?
3. Who is the visitor?
4. What does Nicholas realize he wants in regard to Alison?
5. What wakes Alison and Nicholas up?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)