|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is an accurate description of the school at which Nicholas finds a job?
(a) It is a private school.
(b) It is located in Italy.
(c) It is a college.
(d) It is an all girl's school.
2. Why did Conchis join the British army?
(a) Because the woman he loved had also joined.
(b) To get over the loss of Lily.
(c) To exorcise his sexual nature.
(d) To overcome his addictions.
3. How does Demetriades appear to spend all of his free time?
(a) Secluding himself in his room.
(b) Hanging out with students.
(c) Studying for further exams.
(d) Drinking and visiting brothels.
4. What does Nicholas continue to hear that it appears Conchis does not hear?
(a) The wind hitting the waves.
(b) Someone calling for Nicholas.
(c) Woman's soft singing.
(d) Light, quick footsteps.
5. What sort of people does Conchis hint that Nicholas is?
6. Which of the following terms best describes how the bedroom Nicholas is using is furnished?
7. Which of the following characters is the protagonist of this novel?
8. What does Conchis ask Nicholas to believe in?
(a) What the women tells him.
(b) What he experiences.
(c) What Conchis tells him.
(d) What he has read and seen.
9. How does Nicholas fill his time after he is cured from his disease?
(a) Going out to brothels.
(b) Writing poetry.
(c) Studying for teaching exams.
(d) Visiting bars.
10. Which of the following words best describes how Nicholas slept after seeing who he thought was Lily?
(a) With many dreams.
(b) He didn't sleep.
11. What does Nicholas find in one of the library books in his bedroom?
(a) A pictorial documentation of the female breast.
(b) The life history of Conchis.
(c) Books about art.
(d) Pictures of various members of the village.
12. What conclusion does Nicholas come to about Conchis in this section of the novel?
(a) That he cannot be trusted.
(b) That he is hiding the truth from Nicholas.
(c) That he has special gifts and skills.
(d) That he must be mad.
13. How does Conchis respond when Nicholas asks him about a woman he saw?
(a) He tells him there are no women in the villa.
(b) He tells him to be patient.
(c) He tells him it was Lily.
(d) He tells him he was hallucinating.
14. What does Lily allow Nicholas to do before she leaves him?
(a) Send a message with her to Conchis.
(b) Hypnotize her.
(c) Ask her one last question.
(d) Kiss her on the mouth.
15. What country does Conchis go to after he leaves England?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Conchis say the young woman who will be joining him and Nicholas should be treated?
2. What did Conchis study when he was in Argentina?
3. How does Nicholas react to the smoke he sees coming from the chimney of a house?
4. When did conversation between Nicholas and Conchis become particularly difficult?
5. Which of the following best describes how Nicholas views himself as a poet?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)