|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Conchis take a break while telling Nicholas his life story?
(a) To catch Nicholas off guard.
(b) To check on the dessert.
(c) To regain his composure.
(d) To get some brandy.
2. What has changed in Nicholas' room?
(a) New art work.
(b) New bed.
(c) New reading material.
(d) New clothing.
3. What is Nicholas searching for as this novel opens?
(a) A job.
(b) A teacher.
(c) His parents.
(d) A wife.
4. What sort of people does Conchis hint that Nicholas is?
5. Where do Nicholas and Alison meet?
(a) Coffee shop.
6. What does Nicholas resolve not to do?
(a) Be fooled.
(b) Be surprised.
(c) Be angry.
(d) Be compliant.
7. Nicholas' favorite spot on the island is also one that is which of the following?
(a) On the beach.
(b) Well populated.
(d) Forest dense.
8. How does Mitford describe life on the island to Nicholas?
9. With whom does Conchis take refuge after he leaves England?
(b) Greek uncle.
(d) Army buddy.
10. When did conversation between Nicholas and Conchis become particularly difficult?
(a) When Nicholas was asked why he had come to Greece.
(b) When Conchis was asked why he invited Nicholas to his home.
(c) When Nicholas was asked if he had any women in his life.
(d) When Conchis was asked about the events in WWII.
11. At the end of this section, where is Nicholas headed?
(a) To see Lily.
(b) To see Mitford.
(c) To see Conchis.
(d) To see Alison.
12. How does Alison feel about Nicholas' response?
13. What causes Nicholas to flee in a fearful panic after his nap?
(a) Hearing noises of a woman walking.
(b) Listening to Conchis's war stories.
(c) Smelling the smells of a rotting corpse.
(d) Seeing a man who looks like Foulkes and a young girl.
14. What does Conchis tell Nicholas he will be conducting the following evening?
(a) Art show.
(c) Poetry reading.
(d) Musical performance.
15. How does Nicholas react to the smoke he sees coming from the chimney of a house?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Nicholas reluctant to speak or think about?
2. How many English speaking teachers are there at Nicholas' school?
3. Why did Conchis join the British army?
4. What job is Alison training for?
5. Which of the following is not an accurate description Conchis uses as related to Nicholas?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)