|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas realize he wants in regard to Alison?
(a) To hurt her.
(b) To win her back.
(c) To marry her.
(d) To keep their relationship going.
2. What does the woman who Nicholas believes to be Lily do when he approaches?
(a) Talks to him.
(d) Reaches out to him.
3. What does Mitford tell Nicholas to be wary of?
(b) Classroom in the basement.
(c) Women who help out on campus.
(d) Waiting room.
4. Why doesn't Conchis eat breakfast with Nicholas?
(a) He was angry with Nicholas.
(b) He had another visitor to entertain.
(c) He needed some private time alone.
(d) He was up earlier and had already eaten.
5. How does Nicholas fill his time after he is cured from his disease?
(a) Writing poetry.
(b) Studying for teaching exams.
(c) Visiting bars.
(d) Going out to brothels.
6. How does Nicholas describe the idea of being in Greece?
(a) Taking an almost obsessive hold over him.
(b) The only option for a future he had open to him.
(c) Something he needed to be talked into.
(d) His life's greatest desire.
7. How does Conchis say the young woman who will be joining him and Nicholas should be treated?
(a) As though she cannot hear.
(b) As though she is an amnesiac.
(c) As though she cannot talk.
(d) As though she is well known to them.
8. What kind of habitation does Nicholas notice near the villa?
(a) Feminine habitation.
(b) Bird habitation.
(c) Masculine habitation.
(d) Animal habitation.
9. Which of the following best describes how Nicholas views himself as a poet?
(c) Publish worthy.
10. Which of the following terms best describes how the bedroom Nicholas is using is furnished?
11. What does Conchis insist in regard to Nicholas?
(a) He shares his life story with Conchis.
(b) He does not touch Conchis in anyway.
(c) He never interrupts when Conchis is talking.
(d) He asks no questions.
12. Where do Nicholas and Alison meet?
(a) Coffee shop.
13. Which of the following is an accurate description of the school at which Nicholas finds a job?
(a) It is located in Italy.
(b) It is an all girl's school.
(c) It is a college.
(d) It is a private school.
14. What would happen if Nicholas lost the game of chance Conchis proposed?
(a) He would be expelled from the island.
(b) He would die.
(c) He would have to leave the villa.
(d) He would have to tell Conchis his secrets.
15. What does Nicholas do when he returns to his room instead of preparing to sleep?
(a) Searches the house for more women's garments.
(b) Stands by his window and waits.
(c) Looks at books from the small library.
(d) Heads down to the beach to walk.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nicholas respond when Alison indicates her desire to have sex with Nicholas?
2. What does Alison do when she and Nicholas return to her hotel room?
3. Which of the following terms describes how Conchis saved his own life and got out of France?
4. What does Nicholas realize about the telegram from Alison?
5. What does Nicholas think Conchis might be?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)