|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does this story take place?
2. How does Conchis get Nicholas to play?
3. How does Conchis respond when Nicholas asks him about a woman he saw?
(a) He tells him he was hallucinating.
(b) He tells him to be patient.
(c) He tells him there are no women in the villa.
(d) He tells him it was Lily.
4. What does the message from Conchis tell Nicholas?
(a) That Nicholas has received a telegram.
(b) That Nicholas should meet Conchis immediately.
(c) That Conchis wants him to leave the villa.
(d) That Conchis was called away.
5. What does Nicholas do instead of visiting the villa?
(a) Returns to school.
(b) Runs in the opposite direction.
(c) Continues on his adventure.
(d) Hides and spies on the villa.
6. Which of the following best describes how Nicholas views himself as a poet?
(d) Publish worthy.
7. What does Nicholas see in the garden?
(a) Conchis talking to a woman.
(b) Woman in white.
(c) Maria gathering flowers.
(d) Two people in an embrace.
8. What did Nicholas find in Conchis' home that he found astonishing?
(a) A large group of women.
(b) Original works of art.
(c) Nude models.
(d) Mirrors everywhere.
9. What happens to Lily a few days after Conchis leaves?
(a) She leaves.
(b) She becomes a nurse.
(c) She is raped.
(d) She dies.
10. How does Nicholas describe the idea of being in Greece?
(a) Something he needed to be talked into.
(b) His life's greatest desire.
(c) The only option for a future he had open to him.
(d) Taking an almost obsessive hold over him.
11. Which of the following characters do the villagers claim never to have seen?
12. Who is the visitor?
13. What does Nicholas smell as he is getting ready for bed?
(a) Ammunition smell.
(b) Rotting corpse smell.
(c) Woman's perfume smell.
(d) Flowers from the garden smell.
14. Which of the following terms describes how Conchis saved his own life and got out of France?
(a) Duplicitous means.
(b) Wounded in action.
(c) Honorably discharged.
(d) Leaving the war without permission.
15. What does Nicholas find in one of the library books in his bedroom?
(a) The life history of Conchis.
(b) Pictures of various members of the village.
(c) Books about art.
(d) A pictorial documentation of the female breast.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms best describes Maria as she brings breakfast to Nicholas?
2. Which of the following is found in the manifesto Nicholas reads?
3. What does Nicholas say began after he returned to his life at school?
4. How does Mitford describe life on the island to Nicholas?
5. What job is Alison training for?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)