|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Nicholas and Alison meet?
(d) Coffee shop.
2. When did Conchis return to Europe?
(a) When he got word that Lily was killed.
(b) When he finished his education.
(c) When the war was over.
(d) When his father died.
3. Where does Nicholas go after he leaves the school on the morning of his return?
(a) To walk on the beach.
(b) To meet Alison.
(c) Fishing huts on the coast.
(d) Directly to the villa.
4. What does Nicholas continue to hear that it appears Conchis does not hear?
(a) Woman's soft singing.
(b) Someone calling for Nicholas.
(c) The wind hitting the waves.
(d) Light, quick footsteps.
5. Why doesn't Conchis eat breakfast with Nicholas?
(a) He had another visitor to entertain.
(b) He was up earlier and had already eaten.
(c) He was angry with Nicholas.
(d) He needed some private time alone.
6. What does the message from Conchis tell Nicholas?
(a) That Nicholas has received a telegram.
(b) That Conchis wants him to leave the villa.
(c) That Conchis was called away.
(d) That Nicholas should meet Conchis immediately.
7. What does Conchis tell Nicholas he will be conducting the following evening?
(b) Poetry reading.
(c) Art show.
(d) Musical performance.
8. What does Alison do when she and Nicholas return to her hotel room?
(a) Their argument turns violent.
(b) She calls the police.
(c) She throws things at him.
(d) She locks him out.
9. Which of the following terms describes how Conchis saved his own life and got out of France?
(a) Honorably discharged.
(b) Leaving the war without permission.
(c) Duplicitous means.
(d) Wounded in action.
10. What does Conchis ask Nicholas to believe in?
(a) What he experiences.
(b) What the women tells him.
(c) What Conchis tells him.
(d) What he has read and seen.
11. With whom does Conchis take refuge after he leaves England?
(a) Greek uncle.
(d) Army buddy.
12. Which of the following best describes the song Nicholas heard when he was going to commit suicide?
(b) Surprisingly rigid.
(c) Wild and seductive.
(d) Indicative of Nicholas's new lifestyle.
13. What does Nicholas realize about the telegram from Alison?
(a) Other people know where he is.
(b) He wants to see Alison.
(c) Conchis read it.
(d) Maria is unhappy bringing it.
14. Which of the following terms best describes Maria as she brings breakfast to Nicholas?
15. At the end of this section, where is Nicholas headed?
(a) To see Alison.
(b) To see Lily.
(c) To see Mitford.
(d) To see Conchis.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nicholas respond to Alison's emotional reaction?
2. What job is Alison training for?
3. What does Nicholas see in the garden?
4. What does Nicholas think Conchis' events the following evening will have to do with?
5. What was one of the first things Conchis and Nicholas did when Nicholas arrived for his weekend visit?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)