|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Conchis say about the odds of survival?
(a) They decrease exponentially the longer the battle.
(b) They increase greatly depending on intelligence.
(c) They are stacked against those who fight and the societies that insist upon it.
(d) They always result in negative consequences.
2. Which of the following is not an accurate description Conchis uses as related to Nicholas?
(c) A mess.
3. What surprises Nicholas when he returns to Conchis' home?
(a) That there is no acknowledgement at having seen the mysterious woman.
(b) That Conchis is not home.
(c) That the door is answered by a new woman.
(d) That Conchis has had contact with Alison.
4. How does Nicholas respond when Alison indicates her desire to have sex with Nicholas?
(a) He does not want to tarnish her relationship.
(b) He wants to stay faithful to Lily.
(c) He wants to get to know her better first.
(d) He is still recovering from syphilis.
5. Which of the following is the best definition of the term banteringly as used in the following sentence: Nicholas and Alison speak banteringly of their love for each other.
6. How does Nicholas react to the smoke he sees coming from the chimney of a house?
7. What does Nicholas continue to hear that it appears Conchis does not hear?
(a) Someone calling for Nicholas.
(b) The wind hitting the waves.
(c) Woman's soft singing.
(d) Light, quick footsteps.
8. Which of the following is found in the manifesto Nicholas reads?
(a) Without reason, life is meaningless.
(b) It is possible to communicate with other life forms.
(c) Life is all an illusion.
(d) It is necessary to be at one with nature.
9. How does Nicholas feel after he asks Conchis the same question that Conchis had previously asked Nicholas who agrees and the two part ways?
(a) A strong desire to harm himself.
(b) An indescribable pain.
(c) An indescribable new sensation.
(d) A realistic and reassuring relief.
10. When did Conchis experience the joys of simple sensation?
(a) When he returned safely from the battles.
(b) When he posed as a corpse.
(c) When he was wounded in battle.
(d) When he watched his friends die.
11. What does Nicholas first think that Conchis may be concealing?
(a) An unstable relative.
(b) The true story of his time in Germany.
(c) Nazi war criminals.
(d) A daughter, wife or mistress.
12. Where do Nicholas and Alison meet?
(a) Coffee shop.
13. How does Nicholas pass the time before dinner?
(a) Exploring his bedroom.
(b) Looking around the music room.
(c) Walking on the beach.
(d) Searching for the owner of the glove.
14. When did Conchis return to Europe?
(a) When he got word that Lily was killed.
(b) When he finished his education.
(c) When the war was over.
(d) When his father died.
15. What does Nicholas tell Conchis about love?
(a) He has been in love before in his life.
(b) He doesn't really know what it is.
(c) He thinks he is in love with Alison.
(d) He has never felt love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of people does Conchis hint that Nicholas is?
2. What conclusion does Nicholas come to about Conchis in this section of the novel?
3. Who is the visitor?
4. What does Conchis tell Nicholas he will be conducting the following evening?
5. Which of the following characters do the villagers claim never to have seen?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)