|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What conclusion does Nicholas come to about Conchis in this section of the novel?
(a) That he must be mad.
(b) That he has special gifts and skills.
(c) That he is hiding the truth from Nicholas.
(d) That he cannot be trusted.
2. How does Nicholas interpret the figure in all black wearing a mask that looks like the head of a jackal?
(a) Representation of his fantasies.
(b) Representation of yet another Greek god.
(c) Representation of Demetriades.
(d) Representation of the Egyptian god Anubis.
3. Which of the following best describes Nicholas' emotionality?
4. Which of the following best describes how Nicholas views himself as a poet?
(b) Publish worthy.
5. Why doesn't Conchis eat breakfast with Nicholas?
(a) He had another visitor to entertain.
(b) He needed some private time alone.
(c) He was up earlier and had already eaten.
(d) He was angry with Nicholas.
6. What does the message from Conchis tell Nicholas?
(a) That Nicholas has received a telegram.
(b) That Nicholas should meet Conchis immediately.
(c) That Conchis wants him to leave the villa.
(d) That Conchis was called away.
7. Where does Conchis take Nicholas on a tour?
8. Why doesn't Nicholas reveal his feelings to the female visitor?
(a) He is too awkward and shy.
(b) He is too afraid of Conchis's reaction.
(c) He is too careful and polite.
(d) He is too surprised to see her.
9. Why did Conchis join the British army?
(a) To exorcise his sexual nature.
(b) To get over the loss of Lily.
(c) Because the woman he loved had also joined.
(d) To overcome his addictions.
10. What was Nicholas reluctant to speak or think about?
(a) His Students.
11. Which of the following characters do the villagers claim never to have seen?
12. What does Nicholas continue to search for in the bathroom and around the house?
(a) Hidden passageways.
(b) Journals or other indications of past memories.
(c) More pieces of art.
(d) Signs of femininity.
13. What is Conchis' answer to Nicholas when he questions him?
(a) He can leave if he wants.
(b) He must not ask questions.
(c) He must believe.
(d) He must trust Conchis and himself.
14. Which of the following terms best describes how Nicholas feels about his experiences at the school so far?
15. What does Conchis tell Nicholas he will be conducting the following evening?
(a) Musical performance.
(b) Poetry reading.
(d) Art show.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Lily a few days after Conchis leaves?
2. How does Conchis explain Lily's twin sister?
3. Where do Nicholas and Alison take refuge for the night?
4. How does Conchis say the young woman who will be joining him and Nicholas should be treated?
5. What did Conchis study when he was in Argentina?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)