|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas resolve not to do?
(a) Be angry.
(b) Be compliant.
(c) Be fooled.
(d) Be surprised.
2. What does Nicholas think Conchis' events the following evening will have to do with?
(a) Psychic communication.
(b) Musical appreciation.
(c) Sexual education.
3. What does Nicholas do after breakfast?
(a) Waits for Conchis in the garden.
(b) Searches for what made the sounds he heard.
(c) Goes to the beach to swim.
(d) Tries to engage Maria in conversation.
4. What conclusion does Nicholas come to about Conchis in this section of the novel?
(a) That he must be mad.
(b) That he is hiding the truth from Nicholas.
(c) That he cannot be trusted.
(d) That he has special gifts and skills.
5. What does Nicholas see in the garden?
(a) Woman in white.
(b) Maria gathering flowers.
(c) Conchis talking to a woman.
(d) Two people in an embrace.
6. Which of the following is a priapus?
(a) Woman's glove.
(b) Representation of an ancient fertility god.
(c) Central character in a Shakespeare play.
(d) Nazi war crimes.
7. What condition does Conchis put on Nicholas' ability to return to the villa?
(a) He must keep Conchis's stories private.
(b) He must never bring anyone else with him.
(c) He must not miss a weekend.
(d) He must not ask any questions.
8. Which of the following is not an accurate description Conchis uses as related to Nicholas?
(d) A mess.
9. What was the name of the idealistic group of physicians Conchis joined?
(a) Society to Help Others.
(b) Society Against War.
(c) Society to Provide Relief.
(d) Society for Reason.
10. In what language are the words "the waiting room" when Nicholas stumbles across the sign?
11. Which of the following is the best definition of the term banteringly as used in the following sentence: Nicholas and Alison speak banteringly of their love for each other.
12. What does Nicholas smell as he is getting ready for bed?
(a) Woman's perfume smell.
(b) Ammunition smell.
(c) Rotting corpse smell.
(d) Flowers from the garden smell.
13. Where does this story take place?
14. How does Conchis say the young woman who will be joining him and Nicholas should be treated?
(a) As though she is well known to them.
(b) As though she cannot hear.
(c) As though she is an amnesiac.
(d) As though she cannot talk.
15. How does Nicholas feel as he walks back to the school?
(a) As if his life is just beginning.
(b) As if he is being punished.
(c) As if he is looking through a thick fog.
(d) As though he is returning to reality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas challenge Lily to admit?
2. What does Nicholas continue to search for in the bathroom and around the house?
3. Which of the following is an accurate description of the school at which Nicholas finds a job?
4. Which of the following is an inaccurate characterization of Nicholas Urfe?
5. What did Conchis study when he was in Argentina?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)