|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas continue to search for in the bathroom and around the house?
(a) Hidden passageways.
(b) More pieces of art.
(c) Signs of femininity.
(d) Journals or other indications of past memories.
2. Why did Conchis join the British army?
(a) Because the woman he loved had also joined.
(b) To get over the loss of Lily.
(c) To overcome his addictions.
(d) To exorcise his sexual nature.
3. What does Conchis invite Nicholas to do?
4. How does Conchis respond when Nicholas asks him about a woman he saw?
(a) He tells him it was Lily.
(b) He tells him there are no women in the villa.
(c) He tells him he was hallucinating.
(d) He tells him to be patient.
5. What condition does Conchis put on Nicholas' ability to return to the villa?
(a) He must not ask any questions.
(b) He must not miss a weekend.
(c) He must keep Conchis's stories private.
(d) He must never bring anyone else with him.
6. What does Nicholas find in one of the library books in his bedroom?
(a) Pictures of various members of the village.
(b) Books about art.
(c) A pictorial documentation of the female breast.
(d) The life history of Conchis.
7. What captivates Nicholas immediately upon his arrival in Greece?
8. How does Nicholas feel as he walks back to the school?
(a) As if he is being punished.
(b) As if he is looking through a thick fog.
(c) As though he is returning to reality.
(d) As if his life is just beginning.
9. What does Nicholas resolve not to do?
(a) Be compliant.
(b) Be surprised.
(c) Be fooled.
(d) Be angry.
10. Which of the following best describes how Nicholas views himself as a poet?
(d) Publish worthy.
11. Which of the following words best describes how Nicholas slept after seeing who he thought was Lily?
(a) With many dreams.
(d) He didn't sleep.
12. How does Nicholas feel after he asks Conchis the same question that Conchis had previously asked Nicholas who agrees and the two part ways?
(a) A strong desire to harm himself.
(b) A realistic and reassuring relief.
(c) An indescribable pain.
(d) An indescribable new sensation.
13. What does Nicholas continue to hear that it appears Conchis does not hear?
(a) Someone calling for Nicholas.
(b) Woman's soft singing.
(c) Light, quick footsteps.
(d) The wind hitting the waves.
14. Which of the following is found in the manifesto Nicholas reads?
(a) Without reason, life is meaningless.
(b) Life is all an illusion.
(c) It is necessary to be at one with nature.
(d) It is possible to communicate with other life forms.
15. What does Conchis ask Nicholas to believe in?
(a) What the women tells him.
(b) What he has read and seen.
(c) What he experiences.
(d) What Conchis tells him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters was the name of the woman Conchis fell in love with?
2. What sort of people does Conchis hint that Nicholas is?
3. What does Conchis insist in regard to Nicholas?
4. What is Nicholas searching for as this novel opens?
5. Which of the following terms describes how Conchis saved his own life and got out of France?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)