|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas tell the gatekeeper when he returns his gun?
(a) It missed its target.
(b) He found the gun.
(c) He took the gun by mistake.
(d) It did not have any ammunition.
2. At the end of this section, where is Nicholas headed?
(a) To see Alison.
(b) To see Mitford.
(c) To see Lily.
(d) To see Conchis.
3. What does Mitford tell Nicholas to be wary of?
(a) Classroom in the basement.
(c) Waiting room.
(d) Women who help out on campus.
4. Where do Nicholas and Alison meet?
(b) Coffee shop.
5. With whom does Conchis take refuge after he leaves England?
(a) Army buddy.
(b) Greek uncle.
6. Which of the following is a priapus?
(a) Nazi war crimes.
(b) Woman's glove.
(c) Representation of an ancient fertility god.
(d) Central character in a Shakespeare play.
7. What does Nicholas do after breakfast?
(a) Goes to the beach to swim.
(b) Waits for Conchis in the garden.
(c) Searches for what made the sounds he heard.
(d) Tries to engage Maria in conversation.
8. How does Conchis explain war to Nicholas?
(a) Young men vowing to take a chance on dying.
(b) Surprises of character and strength.
(c) Incomprehensible pain with no reward.
(d) Candor and surprise mixed with grief and death.
9. What does Conchis tell Nicholas he will be conducting the following evening?
(a) Art show.
(b) Musical performance.
(c) Poetry reading.
10. What does Alison do when she and Nicholas return to her hotel room?
(a) She locks him out.
(b) Their argument turns violent.
(c) She calls the police.
(d) She throws things at him.
11. What kind of habitation does Nicholas notice near the villa?
(a) Animal habitation.
(b) Bird habitation.
(c) Masculine habitation.
(d) Feminine habitation.
12. Where does Nicholas go after he leaves the school on the morning of his return?
(a) Fishing huts on the coast.
(b) To walk on the beach.
(c) To meet Alison.
(d) Directly to the villa.
13. What causes Nicholas to flee in a fearful panic after his nap?
(a) Smelling the smells of a rotting corpse.
(b) Hearing noises of a woman walking.
(c) Seeing a man who looks like Foulkes and a young girl.
(d) Listening to Conchis's war stories.
14. Which of the following is an inaccurate characterization of Nicholas Urfe?
(a) Disinterested Teacher.
(b) Self-involved child.
(c) Published Poet.
(d) User of women.
15. What does Nicholas discover he has as he leaves Conchis' villa?
(a) The Magus.
(c) Alison waiting for him.
(d) Woman's glove.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes how Nicholas views himself as a poet?
2. How does Nicholas respond when Alison indicates her desire to have sex with Nicholas?
3. When were the huts at the top of Parnassus abandoned?
4. Why doesn't Nicholas reveal his feelings to the female visitor?
5. How does Nicholas fill his time after he is cured from his disease?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)