|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alison respond to Nicholas' confession about Bourani?
(a) Reserved emotions.
(b) Surprise and quiet.
(c) Tears and pleadingly.
(d) Hurt and anger.
2. What country does Conchis go to after he leaves England?
3. Who arrives to interrupt Nicholas' thoughts?
4. What does Conchis tell Nicholas he will be conducting the following evening?
(a) Musical performance.
(c) Poetry reading.
(d) Art show.
5. How does Demetriades appear to spend all of his free time?
(a) Drinking and visiting brothels.
(b) Hanging out with students.
(c) Studying for further exams.
(d) Secluding himself in his room.
6. What does Nicholas tell Conchis about love?
(a) He thinks he is in love with Alison.
(b) He has been in love before in his life.
(c) He has never felt love.
(d) He doesn't really know what it is.
7. Which of the following characters was Nicholas' predecessor at the school?
8. Which of the following terms describes how Conchis saved his own life and got out of France?
(a) Duplicitous means.
(b) Honorably discharged.
(c) Leaving the war without permission.
(d) Wounded in action.
9. Which of the following best describes Nicholas' emotionality?
10. What does Conchis show Nicholas at the end of this section?
(a) A dead octopus.
(b) A glove.
(c) A statuette.
(d) A woman in white.
11. What does Nicholas continue to search for in the bathroom and around the house?
(a) Signs of femininity.
(b) Hidden passageways.
(c) More pieces of art.
(d) Journals or other indications of past memories.
12. What would happen if Nicholas lost the game of chance Conchis proposed?
(a) He would die.
(b) He would be expelled from the island.
(c) He would have to tell Conchis his secrets.
(d) He would have to leave the villa.
13. Which of the following is found in the manifesto Nicholas reads?
(a) Life is all an illusion.
(b) It is necessary to be at one with nature.
(c) It is possible to communicate with other life forms.
(d) Without reason, life is meaningless.
14. With whom does Conchis take refuge after he leaves England?
(a) Army buddy.
(c) Greek uncle.
15. What was one of the first things Conchis and Nicholas did when Nicholas arrived for his weekend visit?
(a) Take a tour of Conchis' home.
(b) Have lunch in the garden.
(c) Explore the beach together.
(d) Sit and talk about their life stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas see in the garden?
2. What does Nicholas tell the gatekeeper when he returns his gun?
3. Which of the following characters owns the villa?
4. How does Conchis get Nicholas to play?
5. Where does Conchis take Nicholas on a tour?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)