|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Marie the first person and only person to do?
(a) To win scientific prizes as a Polish citizen.
(b) To expose her children to radioactivity.
(c) To survive radiation poisoning.
(d) Win the Nobel Prize twice.
2. How does Marie appear to the public according to Eve?
(a) A team player.
(b) A brillant woman.
(c) A solitary figure.
(d) An impressive orator.
3. What is the one problem with the house in Sceaux?
(a) It reminds her too much of Pierre.
(b) It is not designed for children.
(c) It is too much for her to care for alone.
(d) It is half an hour from the lab.
4. What are the "little Curies"?
(a) Mobile labs that mine radium.
(b) X-ray machines delivered to new hospitals.
(c) Cars that haul the wounded.
(d) Equipped X-ray cars.
5. What does Pierre discover about radiation?
(a) It is making him sick.
(b) It can be manufactored without radium.
(c) It destroys diseased cells.
(d) It is difficult to identify.
6. Why do the Curies decide not to patent their discovery?
(a) They do not need the money.
(b) They believe that they will not earn respect.
(c) They feel it would be contrary to scientific spirit.
(d) They were refused because Marie is female.
7. What does Marie refuse?
(a) Nobel Prize.
(b) French Legion of Honor.
(c) Home in Sceaux.
(d) Warsaw Prize.
8. What is Marie's primary reason for the decision she makes in regard as to whether to go or stay?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her dead husband.
(c) Her patriotism.
(d) Her new lab.
9. Why is Marie able to find friends in the peasants of the village?
(a) They recognize her as one of their own.
(b) She has earned their respect.
(c) She goes out of her way to help them.
(d) They see her for herself.
10. What is the lesson that Marie ensured her children would learn?
(c) About their father.
11. What does Marie typically do on Tuesday and Fridays?
(a) Gives lectures.
(b) Gives interviews.
(c) Works in the lab.
(d) Receives honors.
12. Which of the following characters seems to be as despotic as Marie once was?
13. Continuing the research themselves in their shed causes what to happen to Marie?
(a) She loses her position.
(b) Her family abandons her.
(c) She is unable to care for Irene.
(d) Her health deteriorates.
14. Why does Pierre take a position at the P.C.N.?
(a) There are better research facilities.
(b) They offerred him a grant.
(c) It pays better.
(d) He and Marie move.
15. What happens when Pierre has an attack?
(a) He goes into a stupor where he knows no one.
(b) He has severe seizures.
(c) He is weak and unable to work.
(d) He becomes mean and agitated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What look do Eve and Irene always associate with their mother?
2. What patent could the Curies obtain?
3. What does Marie have to endure as she grows older that she hides from her workers?
4. What does Marie form for her children after her father-in-law dies?
5. What paid position does Marie obtain at the end of the year?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)