|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What look do Eve and Irene always associate with their mother?
(a) A surprising, firm look.
(b) A strong and determined look.
(c) A destroyed, yet resolved look.
(d) A fragile, grief-stricken look.
2. What is the lesson that Marie ensured her children would learn?
(c) About their father.
3. What does the committee started by Mrs. Meloney present to Marie?
(a) A trip to America.
(b) A gram of radium.
(c) A new laboratory.
(d) An article about her life.
4. Where do the Curies go to escape the publicity?
5. How does the American public rank Marie Curie which her children see for the first time?
(a) As their savior.
(b) Among the most important living men and women.
(c) As any other scientist.
(d) As the most important woman.
6. What revives Marie's nature and fervor to return to work?
(a) Desire to find the answer.
(b) Love of small children.
(c) Husband's death.
(d) A new breakthrough.
7. How does Marie appear to the public according to Eve?
(a) An impressive orator.
(b) A brillant woman.
(c) A solitary figure.
(d) A team player.
8. What news does Maire receive about her father?
(a) That he has died.
(b) That he has money for her.
(c) That he is leaving Poland.
(d) That he is very ill.
9. What profession does Mrs. William Brown Meloney practice?
(a) Labroatory assistant.
(b) University professor.
(c) Scientist specializing in X-rays.
(d) Magazine editor.
10. Why doesn't Marie go with Pierre to the Royal Society?
(a) She needs to take care of her father.
(b) She is not allowed.
(c) She is too pregnant.
(d) She is ill.
11. Why do the Curies decide not to patent their discovery?
(a) They do not need the money.
(b) They believe that they will not earn respect.
(c) They were refused because Marie is female.
(d) They feel it would be contrary to scientific spirit.
12. What does Pierre discover about radiation?
(a) It can be manufactored without radium.
(b) It is difficult to identify.
(c) It is making him sick.
(d) It destroys diseased cells.
13. What happens to Marie on June 25, 1903?
(a) She finds out her father is dead.
(b) She gives birth to her second child.
(c) She is awarded her doctorate degree.
(d) She has a miscarriage.
14. Which of the following characters seems to be as despotic as Marie once was?
15. What did Marie donate to the lab that she does not want taken?
(a) Her logs and notes.
(b) Pierre's memoirs.
(c) Her own sweat and tears.
(d) Her first gram of radium.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie collaborate with Andre Debierne on?
2. What paid position does Marie obtain at the end of the year?
3. What does Marie form for her children after her father-in-law dies?
4. How does Marie feel about going on without Pierre?
5. What balance do the Curies find disrupted by their newfound famous status?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)