|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tic does Marie develop?
(a) She constantly coughs.
(b) She jerks her head from side to side.
(c) She picks the skin away from her hands.
(d) She rubs her burned fingers together.
2. What is Marie's primary reason for the decision she makes in regard as to whether to go or stay?
(a) Her dead husband.
(b) Her children.
(c) Her new lab.
(d) Her patriotism.
3. What was Marie the first person and only person to do?
(a) To expose her children to radioactivity.
(b) To win scientific prizes as a Polish citizen.
(c) To survive radiation poisoning.
(d) Win the Nobel Prize twice.
4. What does the committee started by Mrs. Meloney present to Marie?
(a) A trip to America.
(b) An article about her life.
(c) A new laboratory.
(d) A gram of radium.
5. Which of the following characters seems to be as despotic as Marie once was?
6. How does the American public rank Marie Curie which her children see for the first time?
(a) As the most important woman.
(b) As any other scientist.
(c) Among the most important living men and women.
(d) As their savior.
7. Why does Pierre take a position at the P.C.N.?
(a) It pays better.
(b) He and Marie move.
(c) There are better research facilities.
(d) They offerred him a grant.
8. Where was Pierre headed on the morning he died?
(a) To correct some proofs.
(b) To meet Marie.
(c) To take his daughter to the doctor.
(d) To sign papers for a new grant.
9. What look do Eve and Irene always associate with their mother?
(a) A fragile, grief-stricken look.
(b) A destroyed, yet resolved look.
(c) A strong and determined look.
(d) A surprising, firm look.
10. How does Jean Perrin describe Marie's ability to run the laboratory?
(a) The hardest working person he has ever known.
(b) The most patient directer he has ever known.
(c) The best director he has ever known.
(d) The most dedicated professional he has ever known.
11. How many scientific communications do the Curies publish between 1899 and 1904?
12. What does Marie accuse herself of when in truth she simply needs to find some actual rest in her life?
(c) Losing her mind.
13. What arouses Marie's competitive spirit?
14. What happens to Marie on June 25, 1903?
(a) She gives birth to her second child.
(b) She has a miscarriage.
(c) She finds out her father is dead.
(d) She is awarded her doctorate degree.
15. What profession does Mrs. William Brown Meloney practice?
(a) Scientist specializing in X-rays.
(b) Labroatory assistant.
(c) Magazine editor.
(d) University professor.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many of the "little Curies" did Marie personally create by the end of the war?
2. What news does Maire receive about her father?
3. How does Marie feel about going on without Pierre?
4. What are the "little Curies"?
5. What balance do the Curies find disrupted by their newfound famous status?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)