|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters is Marie's constant companion until married?
2. Why does Eve believe Marie did not provide her with the kind of discipline she may have needed?
(a) She was too emotionally unstable.
(b) She had Irene to share her own views and beliefs.
(c) She respected Eve's free will too much.
(d) She never got over her grief.
3. What look do Eve and Irene always associate with their mother?
(a) A surprising, firm look.
(b) A destroyed, yet resolved look.
(c) A fragile, grief-stricken look.
(d) A strong and determined look.
4. What is the one problem with the house in Sceaux?
(a) It is half an hour from the lab.
(b) It is not designed for children.
(c) It reminds her too much of Pierre.
(d) It is too much for her to care for alone.
5. What are the "little Curies"?
(a) Mobile labs that mine radium.
(b) X-ray machines delivered to new hospitals.
(c) Equipped X-ray cars.
(d) Cars that haul the wounded.
6. What do Pierre's frustrations and poor health cause Marie to do?
(a) Work more intensely.
(b) Flee her family.
(c) Take more time doing nothing.
(d) Hire a full-time nurse.
7. What arouses Marie's competitive spirit?
8. What decision does Marie come to as the Germans continue to advance?
(a) To stay in Paris no matter what.
(b) To leave Paris and join her children.
(c) To sacrifice herself to save her children.
(d) To return to Poland and fight for her home country.
9. Where does Marie dream of building a home, but never finds the time to fulfill her dream?
10. What happens to Marie on June 25, 1903?
(a) She is awarded her doctorate degree.
(b) She has a miscarriage.
(c) She gives birth to her second child.
(d) She finds out her father is dead.
11. What does Marie begin to devote her time to establish in her role as a member of the International Committee on Intellectual Co-operation?
(a) Establishing a copyright for scientists.
(b) Establishing a series of new labs.
(c) Establishing a sharing policy among the countries.
(d) Establishing services for the poor.
12. How do Marie's workers feel about her?
(a) They no longer trust her judgment.
(b) They take pride in her accomplishments.
(c) They think it is time that she resign.
(d) They are devoted to her.
13. What ultimately kills Pierre?
(a) Back wagon wheel.
(b) Horse hoof.
(d) Front wagon wheel.
14. Where was Pierre headed on the morning he died?
(a) To meet Marie.
(b) To take his daughter to the doctor.
(c) To correct some proofs.
(d) To sign papers for a new grant.
15. What is it that Marie loves to do best?
(a) Listen to her daughters.
(b) Work in the lab.
(d) Give lectures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie refuse?
2. Which is the most accurate description of the manner in which Pierre is walking on the day he died?
3. How does Marie rest after she spends her day working at the laboratory?
4. How old is Marie when she makes her first trip to America?
5. Where does Marie turn to find some emotional strength and support?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)