|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marie refuse?
(a) French Legion of Honor.
(b) Nobel Prize.
(c) Warsaw Prize.
(d) Home in Sceaux.
2. What obscured Pierre's vision?
(a) A wagon.
(b) A crowd.
(c) A closed cab.
(d) A horse.
3. What arouses Marie's competitive spirit?
4. Where does Marie dream of building a home, but never finds the time to fulfill her dream?
5. What does the Royal Society of London present to the Curies?
(a) Research grant.
(b) Davy Medal.
(c) Nobel Prize.
(d) Position at the university.
6. What is the only hierarchy that Marie allows in Brittany when she joins her children?
(a) The one that holds master over servant.
(b) The one that has to do with scientific order.
(c) The one that classifies sailing skill.
(d) The one that allows her to continue.
7. How does Marie rest after she spends her day working at the laboratory?
(a) Corresponding with her colleagues.
(c) Playing with her granddaughter.
8. How does Marie feel about going on without Pierre?
(a) That she should take her own life to be with Pierre.
(b) That she must go on for her children.
(c) That it is impossible.
(d) That she must fulfill his dream.
9. What do the reporters in America call Marie?
(a) Savior of the sick and down trodden.
(b) Traditional female researcher.
(c) Model for the female species.
(d) Benefactress of the human race.
10. Why is it surprising that the Americans donated another gram of radium to Marie?
(a) A looming financial crisis.
(b) The radium was for Poland.
(c) THere was an on-going war.
(d) Marie's refusal to return to America.
11. How does the American public rank Marie Curie which her children see for the first time?
(a) As their savior.
(b) As any other scientist.
(c) Among the most important living men and women.
(d) As the most important woman.
12. What is the one problem with the house in Sceaux?
(a) It is not designed for children.
(b) It is too much for her to care for alone.
(c) It is half an hour from the lab.
(d) It reminds her too much of Pierre.
13. How many scientific communications do the Curies publish between 1899 and 1904?
14. Where was Pierre headed on the morning he died?
(a) To sign papers for a new grant.
(b) To meet Marie.
(c) To take his daughter to the doctor.
(d) To correct some proofs.
15. What patent could the Curies obtain?
(a) The mining of radium.
(b) The process for producing salts from radium.
(c) The name for the treatment, radiation.
(d) The process for identifying radium.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie collaborate with Andre Debierne on?
2. What happens to Marie on June 25, 1903?
3. What does the celebrity status ruin for Marie causing her to become depressed?
4. What profession does Mrs. William Brown Meloney practice?
5. About how many of the "little Curies" did Marie personally create by the end of the war?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)