|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Marie the first person and only person to do?
(a) To win scientific prizes as a Polish citizen.
(b) Win the Nobel Prize twice.
(c) To expose her children to radioactivity.
(d) To survive radiation poisoning.
2. Which of the following characters is Marie's constant companion until married?
3. What do the reporters in America call Marie?
(a) Model for the female species.
(b) Traditional female researcher.
(c) Savior of the sick and down trodden.
(d) Benefactress of the human race.
4. How does Marie feel about going on without Pierre?
(a) That she must go on for her children.
(b) That it is impossible.
(c) That she must fulfill his dream.
(d) That she should take her own life to be with Pierre.
5. What does Marie collaborate with Andre Debierne on?
(a) Preparing pure radium.
(b) Creating Pierre's dream lab.
(c) Creating a home for her children.
(d) Preparing a new lab.
6. What dream does Marie also come to realize in 1925?
(a) A lab that Pierre would have loved.
(b) Her first grandson.
(c) A radiology institute in Warsaw.
(d) A home in America.
7. What tic does Marie develop?
(a) She constantly coughs.
(b) She rubs her burned fingers together.
(c) She picks the skin away from her hands.
(d) She jerks her head from side to side.
8. What does Marie insist on after she reviews the documents presented to her by the President?
(a) That her lab in Paris be moved to America.
(b) That they be changed to give the gift to the scientific community not herself.
(c) That they be displayed in her lab.
(d) That they be turned in for funds to support her lab in Paris.
9. How does the American public rank Marie Curie which her children see for the first time?
(a) As the most important woman.
(b) Among the most important living men and women.
(c) As their savior.
(d) As any other scientist.
10. What does Marie continue to suffer from?
(b) Stage fright.
(d) Radiation sickness.
11. What does Marie specifically make time to do now that she had not done previously?
(a) Travel to support scientific projects.
(b) Use her name to gather funds.
(c) Teach others about her research.
(d) Spend more time with her family.
12. Why does Eve believe Marie did not provide her with the kind of discipline she may have needed?
(a) She never got over her grief.
(b) She was too emotionally unstable.
(c) She had Irene to share her own views and beliefs.
(d) She respected Eve's free will too much.
13. Why do the Curies decide not to patent their discovery?
(a) They feel it would be contrary to scientific spirit.
(b) They believe that they will not earn respect.
(c) They do not need the money.
(d) They were refused because Marie is female.
14. As Marie aged into her fifties, how does Marie seem to change?
(a) She becomes more serene.
(b) She withdraws more.
(c) She sufferes from serous health problems.
(d) She becomes more animated.
15. What is the one problem with the house in Sceaux?
(a) It is half an hour from the lab.
(b) It is too much for her to care for alone.
(c) It reminds her too much of Pierre.
(d) It is not designed for children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What look do Eve and Irene always associate with their mother?
2. What does Marie do with the clothes Pierre was wearing when he was killed?
3. What is the lesson that Marie ensured her children would learn?
4. Which of the following characters seems to be as despotic as Marie once was?
5. What does Marie maintain despite the fact that she is growing weak and aging?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)