|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is the most accurate description of the manner in which Pierre is walking on the day he died?
(a) With a purpose.
2. What does the celebrity status ruin for Marie causing her to become depressed?
(a) Her marriage.
(b) Her children.
(c) Her trust.
(d) Her nerves.
3. What is the only hierarchy that Marie allows in Brittany when she joins her children?
(a) The one that allows her to continue.
(b) The one that holds master over servant.
(c) The one that classifies sailing skill.
(d) The one that has to do with scientific order.
4. How does Marie feel about going on without Pierre?
(a) That she must go on for her children.
(b) That she should take her own life to be with Pierre.
(c) That it is impossible.
(d) That she must fulfill his dream.
5. What does Marie begin to devote her time to establish in her role as a member of the International Committee on Intellectual Co-operation?
(a) Establishing a sharing policy among the countries.
(b) Establishing a series of new labs.
(c) Establishing a copyright for scientists.
(d) Establishing services for the poor.
6. What did Marie donate to the lab that she does not want taken?
(a) Her own sweat and tears.
(b) Pierre's memoirs.
(c) Her logs and notes.
(d) Her first gram of radium.
7. What does Marie accuse herself of when in truth she simply needs to find some actual rest in her life?
(a) Losing her mind.
8. Why is Marie able to find friends in the peasants of the village?
(a) She goes out of her way to help them.
(b) They recognize her as one of their own.
(c) They see her for herself.
(d) She has earned their respect.
9. What decision does Marie come to as the Germans continue to advance?
(a) To sacrifice herself to save her children.
(b) To leave Paris and join her children.
(c) To return to Poland and fight for her home country.
(d) To stay in Paris no matter what.
10. What patent could the Curies obtain?
(a) The name for the treatment, radiation.
(b) The process for producing salts from radium.
(c) The process for identifying radium.
(d) The mining of radium.
11. What does Marie's discovery cause to be re-examined?
(a) Handling of materials.
(b) Nature of the universe.
(c) Treatment of rheumatism.
(d) Laws of physics.
12. What do the doctors diagnose Pierre with?
(d) Radiation poisoning.
13. What does Marie typically do on Tuesday and Fridays?
(a) Works in the lab.
(b) Gives lectures.
(c) Gives interviews.
(d) Receives honors.
14. How many scientific communications do the Curies publish between 1899 and 1904?
15. Where does Marie dream of building a home, but never finds the time to fulfill her dream?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marie turn to find some emotional strength and support?
2. Why is Marie hunted and hounded by anonymous letters and threatened with violence?
3. How does Marie rest after she spends her day working at the laboratory?
4. What does the committee started by Mrs. Meloney present to Marie?
5. What tic does Marie develop?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)