|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marie form for her children after her father-in-law dies?
(a) A play yard near her lab.
(b) A special memorial to her husband and father-in-law.
(c) A teaching cooperative.
(d) A room in the house specifically for them.
2. What do the doctors diagnose Pierre with?
(a) Radiation poisoning.
3. What does Marie maintain despite the fact that she is growing weak and aging?
(b) Inhuman pace.
4. What do Pierre's frustrations and poor health cause Marie to do?
(a) Hire a full-time nurse.
(b) Flee her family.
(c) Take more time doing nothing.
(d) Work more intensely.
5. What does Pierre discover about radiation?
(a) It can be manufactored without radium.
(b) It is making him sick.
(c) It destroys diseased cells.
(d) It is difficult to identify.
6. Where does Marie dream of building a home, but never finds the time to fulfill her dream?
7. What obscured Pierre's vision?
(a) A wagon.
(b) A closed cab.
(c) A horse.
(d) A crowd.
8. What paid position does Marie obtain at the end of the year?
(a) Nobel prize lecturer.
(b) Academy of Science accountant.
(c) Chief of laboratory work.
(d) University professor.
9. What is Marie's primary reason for the decision she makes in regard as to whether to go or stay?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her dead husband.
(c) Her patriotism.
(d) Her new lab.
10. How does Marie appear to the public according to Eve?
(a) A brillant woman.
(b) An impressive orator.
(c) A solitary figure.
(d) A team player.
11. What political situation does Marie take an interest in?
(a) Poland Revolution.
(b) Revolution in Russia.
12. What are the "little Curies"?
(a) Equipped X-ray cars.
(b) Mobile labs that mine radium.
(c) X-ray machines delivered to new hospitals.
(d) Cars that haul the wounded.
13. Why do Marie and Pierre believe winning the prize has made them miserable?
(a) They get no peace.
(b) They are no longer famous.
(c) They have to move on to a new research topic.
(d) They have to leave their homes.
14. About how many of the "little Curies" did Marie personally create by the end of the war?
(b) 2 million.
15. Which of the following characters is Marie's constant companion until married?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only hierarchy that Marie allows in Brittany when she joins her children?
2. What balance do the Curies find disrupted by their newfound famous status?
3. What is it that Marie loves to do best?
4. What decision does Marie come to as the Germans continue to advance?
5. What does the celebrity status ruin for Marie causing her to become depressed?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)