|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the Curies go to escape the publicity?
2. What revives Marie's nature and fervor to return to work?
(a) Husband's death.
(b) Love of small children.
(c) A new breakthrough.
(d) Desire to find the answer.
3. Which is the most accurate description of the manner in which Pierre is walking on the day he died?
(d) With a purpose.
4. What does Pierre discover about radiation?
(a) It can be manufactored without radium.
(b) It destroys diseased cells.
(c) It is difficult to identify.
(d) It is making him sick.
5. What does Marie accuse herself of when in truth she simply needs to find some actual rest in her life?
(c) Losing her mind.
6. What obscured Pierre's vision?
(a) A wagon.
(b) A horse.
(c) A crowd.
(d) A closed cab.
7. Continuing the research themselves in their shed causes what to happen to Marie?
(a) She loses her position.
(b) She is unable to care for Irene.
(c) Her family abandons her.
(d) Her health deteriorates.
8. Why is it surprising that the Americans donated another gram of radium to Marie?
(a) The radium was for Poland.
(b) THere was an on-going war.
(c) Marie's refusal to return to America.
(d) A looming financial crisis.
9. What profession does Mrs. William Brown Meloney practice?
(a) Scientist specializing in X-rays.
(b) University professor.
(c) Magazine editor.
(d) Labroatory assistant.
10. What look do Eve and Irene always associate with their mother?
(a) A destroyed, yet resolved look.
(b) A fragile, grief-stricken look.
(c) A strong and determined look.
(d) A surprising, firm look.
11. How does Marie feel about going on without Pierre?
(a) That she must fulfill his dream.
(b) That it is impossible.
(c) That she should take her own life to be with Pierre.
(d) That she must go on for her children.
12. In what year does Marie make her last trip to Poland?
13. What paid position does Marie obtain at the end of the year?
(a) University professor.
(b) Nobel prize lecturer.
(c) Academy of Science accountant.
(d) Chief of laboratory work.
14. What does Marie's discovery cause to be re-examined?
(a) Nature of the universe.
(b) Treatment of rheumatism.
(c) Laws of physics.
(d) Handling of materials.
15. What ultimately kills Pierre?
(a) Back wagon wheel.
(b) Front wagon wheel.
(c) Horse hoof.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the committee started by Mrs. Meloney present to Marie?
2. What does Marie do in her advancing age that is similar to when she was a young child again?
3. What do the reporters in America call Marie?
4. What need does Marie recognize for as the war breaks out?
5. Why do the professors arouse criticism?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)