|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the Curies go to escape the publicity?
2. What news does Maire receive about her father?
(a) That he has money for her.
(b) That he has died.
(c) That he is very ill.
(d) That he is leaving Poland.
3. What does Marie accuse herself of when in truth she simply needs to find some actual rest in her life?
(c) Losing her mind.
4. What obscured Pierre's vision?
(a) A crowd.
(b) A horse.
(c) A wagon.
(d) A closed cab.
5. Why is it surprising that the Americans donated another gram of radium to Marie?
(a) The radium was for Poland.
(b) A looming financial crisis.
(c) Marie's refusal to return to America.
(d) THere was an on-going war.
6. Why do Marie and Pierre believe winning the prize has made them miserable?
(a) They have to move on to a new research topic.
(b) They are no longer famous.
(c) They have to leave their homes.
(d) They get no peace.
7. About how many of the "little Curies" did Marie personally create by the end of the war?
(b) 2 million.
8. What does Marie form for her children after her father-in-law dies?
(a) A room in the house specifically for them.
(b) A special memorial to her husband and father-in-law.
(c) A play yard near her lab.
(d) A teaching cooperative.
9. What look do Eve and Irene always associate with their mother?
(a) A surprising, firm look.
(b) A destroyed, yet resolved look.
(c) A strong and determined look.
(d) A fragile, grief-stricken look.
10. What does Marie specifically make time to do now that she had not done previously?
(a) Spend more time with her family.
(b) Use her name to gather funds.
(c) Teach others about her research.
(d) Travel to support scientific projects.
11. Which of the following characters seems to be as despotic as Marie once was?
12. Where does Marie dream of building a home, but never finds the time to fulfill her dream?
13. In what year does Marie make her last trip to Poland?
14. How many scientific communications do the Curies publish between 1899 and 1904?
15. What does Marie refuse?
(a) Warsaw Prize.
(b) French Legion of Honor.
(c) Nobel Prize.
(d) Home in Sceaux.
Short Answer Questions
1. What need does Marie recognize for as the war breaks out?
2. Why does Eve believe Marie did not provide her with the kind of discipline she may have needed?
3. What did Marie donate to the lab that she does not want taken?
4. How does Marie appear to the public according to Eve?
5. What does the celebrity status ruin for Marie causing her to become depressed?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)