|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tic does Marie develop?
(a) She picks the skin away from her hands.
(b) She jerks her head from side to side.
(c) She rubs her burned fingers together.
(d) She constantly coughs.
2. Which is the most accurate description of the manner in which Pierre is walking on the day he died?
(a) With a purpose.
3. What does Marie insist on after she reviews the documents presented to her by the President?
(a) That they be changed to give the gift to the scientific community not herself.
(b) That they be displayed in her lab.
(c) That her lab in Paris be moved to America.
(d) That they be turned in for funds to support her lab in Paris.
4. Why do the Curies decide not to patent their discovery?
(a) They believe that they will not earn respect.
(b) They feel it would be contrary to scientific spirit.
(c) They were refused because Marie is female.
(d) They do not need the money.
5. Continuing the research themselves in their shed causes what to happen to Marie?
(a) Her family abandons her.
(b) She is unable to care for Irene.
(c) She loses her position.
(d) Her health deteriorates.
6. What does the committee started by Mrs. Meloney present to Marie?
(a) An article about her life.
(b) A gram of radium.
(c) A trip to America.
(d) A new laboratory.
7. How do Marie's workers feel about her?
(a) They no longer trust her judgment.
(b) They think it is time that she resign.
(c) They take pride in her accomplishments.
(d) They are devoted to her.
8. What ultimately kills Pierre?
(b) Front wagon wheel.
(c) Horse hoof.
(d) Back wagon wheel.
9. What revives Marie's nature and fervor to return to work?
(a) Desire to find the answer.
(b) Love of small children.
(c) A new breakthrough.
(d) Husband's death.
10. Which of the following characters seems to be as despotic as Marie once was?
11. What happens when Pierre has an attack?
(a) He becomes mean and agitated.
(b) He goes into a stupor where he knows no one.
(c) He is weak and unable to work.
(d) He has severe seizures.
12. What arouses Marie's competitive spirit?
13. Why do the professors arouse criticism?
(a) They make too much noise.
(b) Beach life is not in fashion.
(c) They speak above their colleagues.
(d) They treat the peasants poorly.
14. What does the Royal Institution want with Pierre?
(a) To teach at their institute.
(b) To give a lecture on radium.
(c) To get treatment for his illness.
(d) To head their research department.
15. What does Marie maintain despite the fact that she is growing weak and aging?
(c) Inhuman pace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie do with the clothes Pierre was wearing when he was killed?
2. What does Marie refuse?
3. How does Marie rest after she spends her day working at the laboratory?
4. How does Marie feel about going on without Pierre?
5. How old is Marie when she makes her first trip to America?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)