|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Marie hunted and hounded by anonymous letters and threatened with violence?
(a) Because she is exposing others to radiation.
(b) Because she refuses to accept awards.
(c) Because she is perceived as a homewrecker.
(d) Because she is cheating to win the prizes.
2. What is one of Eve's earliest memories of her mother?
(a) Crying about her deceased father.
(b) Collapsing in a faint.
(c) Working in the lab.
(d) Sleeping on her lab table.
3. Where does Marie turn to find some emotional strength and support?
(a) Her work.
(b) Her children.
(c) Her father-in-law.
(d) Her colleagues.
4. Why does Pierre take a position at the P.C.N.?
(a) They offerred him a grant.
(b) It pays better.
(c) There are better research facilities.
(d) He and Marie move.
5. What political situation does Marie take an interest in?
(a) Revolution in Russia.
(c) Poland Revolution.
6. Why is it surprising that the Americans donated another gram of radium to Marie?
(a) The radium was for Poland.
(b) Marie's refusal to return to America.
(c) A looming financial crisis.
(d) THere was an on-going war.
7. What does Marie accuse herself of when in truth she simply needs to find some actual rest in her life?
(a) Losing her mind.
8. What is the only hierarchy that Marie allows in Brittany when she joins her children?
(a) The one that holds master over servant.
(b) The one that classifies sailing skill.
(c) The one that has to do with scientific order.
(d) The one that allows her to continue.
9. What is it that Marie loves to do best?
(a) Listen to her daughters.
(c) Give lectures.
(d) Work in the lab.
10. What does Marie do with the clothes Pierre was wearing when he was killed?
(a) She cuts them into pieces for a quilt.
(b) She gives them to Bronya to get rid of.
(c) She cleans them meticuously.
(d) She cuts them up and throws them in the fire.
11. Which is the most accurate description of the manner in which Pierre is walking on the day he died?
(c) With a purpose.
12. Why do the Curies decide not to patent their discovery?
(a) They were refused because Marie is female.
(b) They feel it would be contrary to scientific spirit.
(c) They do not need the money.
(d) They believe that they will not earn respect.
13. What does Pierre discover about radiation?
(a) It can be manufactored without radium.
(b) It is making him sick.
(c) It is difficult to identify.
(d) It destroys diseased cells.
14. What need does Marie recognize for as the war breaks out?
(a) Cancer treatment.
(b) Portable X-ray machines.
(c) More scientific research.
(d) More radium.
15. What did Marie donate to the lab that she does not want taken?
(a) Pierre's memoirs.
(b) Her first gram of radium.
(c) Her logs and notes.
(d) Her own sweat and tears.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie's discovery cause to be re-examined?
2. What does Marie typically do on Tuesday and Fridays?
3. Which of the following characters is Marie's constant companion until married?
4. What does Marie do in her advancing age that is similar to when she was a young child again?
5. What happened to Bronya's son?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)