|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is the most accurate description of the manner in which Pierre is walking on the day he died?
(a) With a purpose.
2. What profession does Mrs. William Brown Meloney practice?
(a) University professor.
(b) Magazine editor.
(c) Labroatory assistant.
(d) Scientist specializing in X-rays.
3. Why do the professors arouse criticism?
(a) They treat the peasants poorly.
(b) Beach life is not in fashion.
(c) They speak above their colleagues.
(d) They make too much noise.
4. What is Marie's primary reason for the decision she makes in regard as to whether to go or stay?
(a) Her dead husband.
(b) Her new lab.
(c) Her patriotism.
(d) Her children.
5. What does the Royal Society of London present to the Curies?
(a) Research grant.
(b) Davy Medal.
(c) Nobel Prize.
(d) Position at the university.
6. What is it that Marie loves to do best?
(b) Listen to her daughters.
(c) Work in the lab.
(d) Give lectures.
7. What does Marie begin to devote her time to establish in her role as a member of the International Committee on Intellectual Co-operation?
(a) Establishing a sharing policy among the countries.
(b) Establishing a copyright for scientists.
(c) Establishing a series of new labs.
(d) Establishing services for the poor.
8. What does Marie continue to suffer from?
(c) Radiation sickness.
(d) Stage fright.
9. What arouses Marie's competitive spirit?
10. What does Marie form for her children after her father-in-law dies?
(a) A room in the house specifically for them.
(b) A play yard near her lab.
(c) A teaching cooperative.
(d) A special memorial to her husband and father-in-law.
11. How does Marie rest after she spends her day working at the laboratory?
(a) Playing with her granddaughter.
(c) Corresponding with her colleagues.
12. Why does Eve believe Marie did not provide her with the kind of discipline she may have needed?
(a) She respected Eve's free will too much.
(b) She never got over her grief.
(c) She was too emotionally unstable.
(d) She had Irene to share her own views and beliefs.
13. Which of the following characters is Marie's constant companion until married?
14. In what year does Marie make her last trip to Poland?
15. Why do Marie and Pierre believe winning the prize has made them miserable?
(a) They get no peace.
(b) They have to leave their homes.
(c) They have to move on to a new research topic.
(d) They are no longer famous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Maire receive about her father?
2. What was Marie the first person and only person to do?
3. What ultimately kills Pierre?
4. What did Marie donate to the lab that she does not want taken?
5. What do Pierre's frustrations and poor health cause Marie to do?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)