|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What patent could the Curies obtain?
(a) The mining of radium.
(b) The process for producing salts from radium.
(c) The name for the treatment, radiation.
(d) The process for identifying radium.
2. As Marie aged into her fifties, how does Marie seem to change?
(a) She withdraws more.
(b) She becomes more animated.
(c) She sufferes from serous health problems.
(d) She becomes more serene.
3. Why is Marie able to find friends in the peasants of the village?
(a) She goes out of her way to help them.
(b) She has earned their respect.
(c) They recognize her as one of their own.
(d) They see her for herself.
4. What does the committee started by Mrs. Meloney present to Marie?
(a) A gram of radium.
(b) A new laboratory.
(c) An article about her life.
(d) A trip to America.
5. What ultimately kills Pierre?
(a) Horse hoof.
(c) Front wagon wheel.
(d) Back wagon wheel.
6. What revives Marie's nature and fervor to return to work?
(a) A new breakthrough.
(b) Husband's death.
(c) Love of small children.
(d) Desire to find the answer.
7. What does Marie maintain despite the fact that she is growing weak and aging?
(b) Inhuman pace.
8. How does Marie feel about going on without Pierre?
(a) That she must fulfill his dream.
(b) That she must go on for her children.
(c) That it is impossible.
(d) That she should take her own life to be with Pierre.
9. How does Marie appear to the public according to Eve?
(a) A solitary figure.
(b) A team player.
(c) A brillant woman.
(d) An impressive orator.
10. How does Marie rest after she spends her day working at the laboratory?
(a) Corresponding with her colleagues.
(b) Playing with her granddaughter.
11. Why does Eve believe Marie did not provide her with the kind of discipline she may have needed?
(a) She was too emotionally unstable.
(b) She respected Eve's free will too much.
(c) She never got over her grief.
(d) She had Irene to share her own views and beliefs.
12. What happens when Pierre has an attack?
(a) He is weak and unable to work.
(b) He goes into a stupor where he knows no one.
(c) He has severe seizures.
(d) He becomes mean and agitated.
13. What news does Maire receive about her father?
(a) That he has money for her.
(b) That he has died.
(c) That he is very ill.
(d) That he is leaving Poland.
14. What decision does Marie come to as the Germans continue to advance?
(a) To return to Poland and fight for her home country.
(b) To sacrifice herself to save her children.
(c) To stay in Paris no matter what.
(d) To leave Paris and join her children.
15. What did Marie donate to the lab that she does not want taken?
(a) Her first gram of radium.
(b) Pierre's memoirs.
(c) Her own sweat and tears.
(d) Her logs and notes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie do in her advancing age that is similar to when she was a young child again?
2. Which is the most accurate description of the manner in which Pierre is walking on the day he died?
3. What are the "little Curies"?
4. What political situation does Marie take an interest in?
5. How old is Marie when she makes her first trip to America?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)