|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marie maintain despite the fact that she is growing weak and aging?
(c) Inhuman pace.
2. What happens to Marie on June 25, 1903?
(a) She finds out her father is dead.
(b) She has a miscarriage.
(c) She is awarded her doctorate degree.
(d) She gives birth to her second child.
3. What do the reporters in America call Marie?
(a) Model for the female species.
(b) Traditional female researcher.
(c) Benefactress of the human race.
(d) Savior of the sick and down trodden.
4. What does Marie do in her advancing age that is similar to when she was a young child again?
(a) Counts in Polish.
(b) Works in her laboratory.
(c) Plays with toys.
5. Why is Marie hunted and hounded by anonymous letters and threatened with violence?
(a) Because she is cheating to win the prizes.
(b) Because she is exposing others to radiation.
(c) Because she is perceived as a homewrecker.
(d) Because she refuses to accept awards.
6. How does Marie appear to the public according to Eve?
(a) A solitary figure.
(b) A brillant woman.
(c) An impressive orator.
(d) A team player.
7. What does Marie's discovery cause to be re-examined?
(a) Laws of physics.
(b) Treatment of rheumatism.
(c) Nature of the universe.
(d) Handling of materials.
8. What paid position does Marie obtain at the end of the year?
(a) Nobel prize lecturer.
(b) Academy of Science accountant.
(c) University professor.
(d) Chief of laboratory work.
9. What is the lesson that Marie ensured her children would learn?
(d) About their father.
10. Why is it surprising that the Americans donated another gram of radium to Marie?
(a) A looming financial crisis.
(b) THere was an on-going war.
(c) The radium was for Poland.
(d) Marie's refusal to return to America.
11. How does Jean Perrin describe Marie's ability to run the laboratory?
(a) The best director he has ever known.
(b) The most patient directer he has ever known.
(c) The hardest working person he has ever known.
(d) The most dedicated professional he has ever known.
12. What does Marie form for her children after her father-in-law dies?
(a) A special memorial to her husband and father-in-law.
(b) A play yard near her lab.
(c) A teaching cooperative.
(d) A room in the house specifically for them.
13. What ultimately kills Pierre?
(a) Back wagon wheel.
(b) Front wagon wheel.
(c) Horse hoof.
14. What decision does Marie come to as the Germans continue to advance?
(a) To return to Poland and fight for her home country.
(b) To stay in Paris no matter what.
(c) To sacrifice herself to save her children.
(d) To leave Paris and join her children.
15. What does Marie typically do on Tuesday and Fridays?
(a) Works in the lab.
(b) Gives lectures.
(c) Gives interviews.
(d) Receives honors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the celebrity status ruin for Marie causing her to become depressed?
2. Where does Marie dream of building a home, but never finds the time to fulfill her dream?
3. Where do the Curies go to escape the publicity?
4. Why is Marie able to find friends in the peasants of the village?
5. How does Marie rest after she spends her day working at the laboratory?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)