|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Marie dream of building a home, but never finds the time to fulfill her dream?
2. Why does Pierre take a position at the P.C.N.?
(a) They offerred him a grant.
(b) He and Marie move.
(c) There are better research facilities.
(d) It pays better.
3. What news does Maire receive about her father?
(a) That he is leaving Poland.
(b) That he is very ill.
(c) That he has died.
(d) That he has money for her.
4. What does Marie collaborate with Andre Debierne on?
(a) Creating Pierre's dream lab.
(b) Preparing a new lab.
(c) Preparing pure radium.
(d) Creating a home for her children.
5. What is it that Marie loves to do best?
(a) Give lectures.
(b) Listen to her daughters.
(d) Work in the lab.
6. What does Marie have to endure as she grows older that she hides from her workers?
(a) Memory loss.
(b) Hearing loss.
(c) Temporary blindness.
(d) Inability to speak clearly.
7. What are the "little Curies"?
(a) X-ray machines delivered to new hospitals.
(b) Equipped X-ray cars.
(c) Cars that haul the wounded.
(d) Mobile labs that mine radium.
8. What revives Marie's nature and fervor to return to work?
(a) Love of small children.
(b) A new breakthrough.
(c) Desire to find the answer.
(d) Husband's death.
9. How does Jean Perrin describe Marie's ability to run the laboratory?
(a) The best director he has ever known.
(b) The most dedicated professional he has ever known.
(c) The hardest working person he has ever known.
(d) The most patient directer he has ever known.
10. Which of the following characters is Marie's constant companion until married?
11. In what year does Marie make her last trip to Poland?
12. Why doesn't Marie go with Pierre to the Royal Society?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She is not allowed.
(c) She needs to take care of her father.
(d) She is too pregnant.
13. What happens to Marie on June 25, 1903?
(a) She has a miscarriage.
(b) She is awarded her doctorate degree.
(c) She gives birth to her second child.
(d) She finds out her father is dead.
14. What paid position does Marie obtain at the end of the year?
(a) Chief of laboratory work.
(b) Nobel prize lecturer.
(c) Academy of Science accountant.
(d) University professor.
15. Why is Marie able to find friends in the peasants of the village?
(a) They recognize her as one of their own.
(b) They see her for herself.
(c) She has earned their respect.
(d) She goes out of her way to help them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the celebrity status ruin for Marie causing her to become depressed?
2. What does Marie insist on after she reviews the documents presented to her by the President?
3. What does the Royal Society of London present to the Curies?
4. What does Marie specifically make time to do now that she had not done previously?
5. What need does Marie recognize for as the war breaks out?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)