|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of Eve's earliest memories of her mother?
(a) Sleeping on her lab table.
(b) Crying about her deceased father.
(c) Collapsing in a faint.
(d) Working in the lab.
2. How does the American public rank Marie Curie which her children see for the first time?
(a) As their savior.
(b) Among the most important living men and women.
(c) As the most important woman.
(d) As any other scientist.
3. What decision does Marie come to as the Germans continue to advance?
(a) To leave Paris and join her children.
(b) To stay in Paris no matter what.
(c) To sacrifice herself to save her children.
(d) To return to Poland and fight for her home country.
4. What does Marie maintain despite the fact that she is growing weak and aging?
(b) Inhuman pace.
5. Continuing the research themselves in their shed causes what to happen to Marie?
(a) Her health deteriorates.
(b) She loses her position.
(c) Her family abandons her.
(d) She is unable to care for Irene.
6. How old is Marie when she makes her first trip to America?
7. What does Marie begin to devote her time to establish in her role as a member of the International Committee on Intellectual Co-operation?
(a) Establishing a series of new labs.
(b) Establishing a sharing policy among the countries.
(c) Establishing a copyright for scientists.
(d) Establishing services for the poor.
8. What is the one problem with the house in Sceaux?
(a) It is half an hour from the lab.
(b) It is too much for her to care for alone.
(c) It reminds her too much of Pierre.
(d) It is not designed for children.
9. What are the "little Curies"?
(a) Cars that haul the wounded.
(b) X-ray machines delivered to new hospitals.
(c) Mobile labs that mine radium.
(d) Equipped X-ray cars.
10. How does Marie feel about going on without Pierre?
(a) That she must fulfill his dream.
(b) That it is impossible.
(c) That she should take her own life to be with Pierre.
(d) That she must go on for her children.
11. What does Marie do with the clothes Pierre was wearing when he was killed?
(a) She gives them to Bronya to get rid of.
(b) She cuts them into pieces for a quilt.
(c) She cuts them up and throws them in the fire.
(d) She cleans them meticuously.
12. What does the Royal Institution want with Pierre?
(a) To head their research department.
(b) To get treatment for his illness.
(c) To give a lecture on radium.
(d) To teach at their institute.
13. What happens when Pierre has an attack?
(a) He is weak and unable to work.
(b) He has severe seizures.
(c) He goes into a stupor where he knows no one.
(d) He becomes mean and agitated.
14. What does Marie continue to suffer from?
(a) Stage fright.
(b) Radiation sickness.
15. Marie continues on with her research despite what?
(a) Her on-going grief.
(b) Her continued health problems.
(c) Her lack of help.
(d) Her children's wishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Marie on June 25, 1903?
2. Why is Marie hunted and hounded by anonymous letters and threatened with violence?
3. What does Marie do in her advancing age that is similar to when she was a young child again?
4. As Marie aged into her fifties, how does Marie seem to change?
5. Where do the Curies go to escape the publicity?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)