|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Curies' doctor warn Marie of?
(a) Taking more time to rest.
(b) Eating right.
(c) Baby's seizure disorder.
(d) Tubercular lesion.
2. What does Marie discover?
(a) Gamma rays.
3. Where does this story open?
4. Which of the children died from typhus?
5. Where do the Sklodovskass now live?
(a) A homeless shelter.
(b) A tranquil courtyard.
(c) A small house on campus.
(d) A train station.
6. What caused Pierre's career to suffer?
(a) His need to always be in control.
(b) His attraction to Marie.
(c) His location in Paris.
(d) His idealism.
7. What is pitchblende?
(a) A radium core.
(b) A uranium core.
(c) A combination of radium and polonium.
(d) A polonium based metal.
8. How do the Curies pay for the residue of the pitchblende they receive from the mines?
(a) Their own savings.
(b) Borrowed money from their siblings.
(c) Borrowed money from a bank loan.
(d) University money.
9. Who does Manya begin teaching?
(a) Young polish children.
(b) Those who wish to learn chemistry.
(c) All of the children in her neighborhood.
(d) Poor working women.
10. What conclusion does Marie draw about the minerals she examines?
(a) They all have their basis in thorium.
(b) The radioactivity is limited to only uranium and thorium.
(c) There must be another element as yet undetermined.
(d) They are not as strong as uranium.
11. What is piezoelectric quartz?
(a) A device used to define the measurements of crystals.
(b) A device used for measuring small amounts of electricity.
(c) A device used for clarifying the value of quartz crystals.
(d) A device to turn rocks into quartz.
12. How do her employers treat Manya?
(c) With great respect.
13. How do the children earn their living as they finish school?
(a) Cleaning houses.
(c) Being a servant.
(d) Taking on boarders.
14. What religion does Manya practice?
(b) Russian Orthodox.
15. Why did Monsieur Sklodovska lose his job?
(a) He was caught speaking Polish.
(b) He couldn't learn to speak Russian.
(c) His wife became ill.
(d) He wasn't subservient enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manya find the discussion at her employers' home to be filled with?
2. Why does Manya stay working as the governess with Casimir's family?
3. What do the Curies have to now prove?
4. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
5. Why did the Sklodovskas switch to education?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)