|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the words that Manya overhears make her feel even though she doesn't understand what they mean?
2. Why does Marie ignore all of her health issues?
(a) She cannot remember her symptoms.
(b) To focus only on studying.
(c) Because she cannot afford to treat her condition.
(d) She is not speaking to her family.
3. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
(a) Spit on it.
(b) Throw stones at it.
(c) Kick it.
(d) Salute it.
4. As Marie Curie reflected back on her life what did she indicate was necessary in order to build a better world?
(a) Social progress.
(b) Improving the individual.
(c) Self-guided principles.
5. Why do Casimir's parents oppose the idea of marriage to Manya?
(a) They think they are too young to get married.
(b) They do not want him to marry a governess.
(c) Manya's family does not have enough money.
(d) They want him to marry a Russian.
6. Where does Marie feel truly in her element?
(a) Her attic apartment.
(b) With her sister and brother-in-law.
(c) Physics laboratory.
(d) Working with the peasants.
7. What does Manya enter for the first time during this time period in her life?
8. What is piezoelectric quartz?
(a) A device used for clarifying the value of quartz crystals.
(b) A device used to define the measurements of crystals.
(c) A device to turn rocks into quartz.
(d) A device used for measuring small amounts of electricity.
9. What does Marie decide to pursue her doctorate in?
(c) Physical science.
(d) Biological science.
10. What has Marie ruled out of her life?
(c) Family support.
(d) Fulfilling her dreams.
11. Who is Manya's first romance with?
(a) Her sister's best friend.
(b) A boy from her brother's school.
(c) Her employer's son.
(d) A friend of her fathers.
12. What is the children's single focus at this time?
(a) Staying healthy.
(b) Helping their father.
(c) Managing the house.
13. How does Manya describe her first post as governess?
14. How do Marie and Pierre travel on their honeymoon?
15. What does Manya find the discussion at her employers' home to be filled with?
(a) Russian loyalty.
(c) Intellectual pursuits.
(d) Social change.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Manya change her name to Marie?
2. How old is Manya at the beginning of this chapter?
3. What does Marie call the second of the new elements she and Pierre discovered?
4. How many elements do Marie and Pierre come to realize radioactivity is concentrated in besides those already identified?
5. Where do Manya and Bronya dream of going?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)