Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
(a) Salute it.
(b) Spit on it.
(c) Kick it.
(d) Throw stones at it.
2. Who does Manya begin teaching?
(a) Those who wish to learn chemistry.
(b) Poor working women.
(c) Young polish children.
(d) All of the children in her neighborhood.
3. Though their life becomes dull and monotonous, what does this encourage for the family members?
(a) Financial planning.
(b) Desire to look for freedom.
(c) Work and study.
(d) Familial bonds.
4. What medical condition does Marie suffer from due to her diet?
5. Where does this story open?
6. Which of the children takes over managing the household once Manya's mother dies?
7. What is Manya afraid she will never be forgiven for figuring out how to do?
8. What does Manya enter for the first time during this time period in her life?
9. What is the main area that Manya has found her interest waning in since she arrived in Paris?
(a) Family relationships.
(d) Young men.
10. Why does Manya begin to withdraw from the performances the Polish students have?
(a) Because she enjoys entertaining with her sister.
(b) Because her father told her to do that.
(c) Because it is dangerous and takes away study time.
(d) Because she cannot participate in them.
11. What is one of Manya, Aunt Lucia and Hela's favorite activities?
(a) Telling Polish stories.
(b) Reading from the Bible.
(c) Going to Church.
(d) Buying apples.
12. Why does Marie ignore all of her health issues?
(a) Because she cannot afford to treat her condition.
(b) She cannot remember her symptoms.
(c) She is not speaking to her family.
(d) To focus only on studying.
13. In what way is Joseph Boguski related to Manya?
14. What does Marie call the second of the new elements she and Pierre discovered?
15. How does Marie look back on these years with her exhaustion and chronic worry about money?
(a) The most surprising years of her life.
(b) The most perfect years of her life.
(c) The worst years of her life.
(d) The most difficult years of her life.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the words that Manya overhears make her feel even though she doesn't understand what they mean?
2. What causes Manya to experience her first revolt against the church?
3. Who agrees to move in with Marie and Pierre to help them with the new child?
4. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
5. How many elements do Marie and Pierre come to realize radioactivity is concentrated in besides those already identified?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)