|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why don't the Curies ask the university or French government for a grant?
(a) They are not tenored and cannot get grants.
(b) They are not French citizens.
(c) They feel they will be laughed at.
(d) They have already received the maximum amount of money.
2. How does Manya describe her successes with the peasants?
(d) Ground breaking.
3. Which of the following isn't one of the words Manya picks up on from overheard conversations?
4. Which of the following children is the youngest?
5. What does the Curies' doctor warn Marie of?
(a) Eating right.
(b) Baby's seizure disorder.
(c) Taking more time to rest.
(d) Tubercular lesion.
6. When does Manya finish her secondary studies?
7. How do her employers treat Manya?
(a) With great respect.
8. What happens during Marie and Pierre's second year of marriage?
(a) Pierre dies.
(b) He loses his job.
(c) Marie graduates from school.
(d) She gets pregnant.
9. Why did the Sklodovskas switch to education?
(a) Because that is what their familes have done for years.
(b) Because they believe in education.
(c) Because estates have grown poorer.
(d) Because it is the safest profession.
10. What seems to be always near the surface among the Polish intelligentsia?
11. Who is Manya's first romance with?
(a) Her employer's son.
(b) A boy from her brother's school.
(c) Her sister's best friend.
(d) A friend of her fathers.
12. What has Marie ruled out of her life?
(c) Family support.
(d) Fulfilling her dreams.
13. Why does Manya come to the conclusion that keeping a post in Warsaw is impossible?
(a) She finds no intellectual challenge.
(b) It does not pay enough.
(c) She can not tolerate the rich.
(d) She cannot hide from the Russians.
14. What does Marie discover?
(d) Gamma rays.
15. Which of the children takes over managing the household once Manya's mother dies?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manya enter for the first time during this time period in her life?
2. What does Manya indicate she feels for the first time when her father sends her to the country as a reward?
3. How many elements do Marie and Pierre come to realize radioactivity is concentrated in besides those already identified?
4. Why do Casimir's parents oppose the idea of marriage to Manya?
5. What conclusion does Marie draw about the minerals she examines?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)