|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe Manya to be?
(a) Smart and respectful.
(b) Stubborn and scornful.
(c) Studious and disrespectful.
(d) Lying and deceitful.
2. What is pitchblende?
(a) A uranium core.
(b) A combination of radium and polonium.
(c) A radium core.
(d) A polonium based metal.
3. What did Mademoiselle Mayer catch Manya and her friend doing that caused a great conflict between the two of them?
(a) Speaking in Polish instead of Russian.
(b) Making fun of Mademoiselle Mayer behind her back.
(c) Dancing with joy at the assassination of the Tsar.
(d) Studying subjects that were prohibited to girls.
4. What does Manya experience as soon as she leaves her books?
(a) A desire to help her mother.
(b) A longing to flee her life.
(c) A return of her sadness.
(d) An anger at the Russians.
5. Why don't the Curies buy large quantities of pitchblende?
(a) It is too rare.
(b) It is only found in Russia.
(c) It is not safe to have large quantities.
(d) It is too expensive.
6. Where does this story open?
7. Which of the children has gone to study medicine?
8. How do the children earn their living as they finish school?
(a) Being a servant.
(c) Cleaning houses.
(d) Taking on boarders.
9. Why does Marie need to get up very early in the morning?
(a) To take Pierre to work.
(b) To do her own chores.
(c) To pay the bills.
(d) To go to the market.
10. How does Manya combat her discouragement?
(a) Writing her own books.
(b) Earning more and more money.
(c) Doing charity work.
(d) Tutoring the peasants.
11. Which of the following is the best definition for the term kuligs?
(a) Country wildflowers.
(b) Books read in isolation.
(c) Special dishes cooked for birthdays.
(d) Carnivals lasting several days.
12. What has impeded the atmosphere at the schools in Poland?
(a) Lack of finances.
(b) German invasion.
(c) Russian control.
(d) Unqualifed teachers.
13. How does Manya describe her first post as governess?
14. What religion does Manya practice?
(d) Russian Orthodox.
15. How were Marie and Pierre introduced?
(a) Marie's father.
(b) Pierre's family.
(c) A Polish physics professor.
(d) Marie's sister and brother-in-law.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Manya describe her successes with the peasants?
2. Who agrees to move in with Marie and Pierre to help them with the new child?
3. What do the Curies have to now prove?
4. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
5. What does Marie eat regularly?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)