|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pierre study at the School of Physics and Chemistry in Paris?
(a) Scientific scales.
(d) Crystalline physics.
2. What does the Curies' doctor warn Marie of?
(a) Tubercular lesion.
(b) Baby's seizure disorder.
(c) Taking more time to rest.
(d) Eating right.
3. How do the Curies pay for the residue of the pitchblende they receive from the mines?
(a) Borrowed money from their siblings.
(b) University money.
(c) Borrowed money from a bank loan.
(d) Their own savings.
4. How does Manya consider herself intellectually?
(b) Average if not less.
(d) Below par.
5. What conclusion does Marie draw about the minerals she examines?
(a) The radioactivity is limited to only uranium and thorium.
(b) They all have their basis in thorium.
(c) They are not as strong as uranium.
(d) There must be another element as yet undetermined.
6. What is Manya afraid she will never be forgiven for figuring out how to do?
7. What did Mademoiselle Mayer catch Manya and her friend doing that caused a great conflict between the two of them?
(a) Studying subjects that were prohibited to girls.
(b) Speaking in Polish instead of Russian.
(c) Making fun of Mademoiselle Mayer behind her back.
(d) Dancing with joy at the assassination of the Tsar.
8. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
(a) Throw stones at it.
(b) Spit on it.
(c) Kick it.
(d) Salute it.
9. What has impeded the atmosphere at the schools in Poland?
(a) Unqualifed teachers.
(b) Lack of finances.
(c) German invasion.
(d) Russian control.
10. Why does Manya stay working as the governess with Casimir's family?
(a) She wants to convince them to approve of the marriage.
(b) She cannot find another job that pays as much.
(c) The family asks her to stay to prevent scandal.
(d) She cannot bear to be away from Casimir.
11. Who does Manya begin teaching?
(a) Poor working women.
(b) Those who wish to learn chemistry.
(c) Young polish children.
(d) All of the children in her neighborhood.
12. In what way is Joseph Boguski related to Manya?
13. Who agrees to move in with Marie and Pierre to help them with the new child?
(a) Marie's brother.
(b) Pierre's sister.
(c) Marie's father.
(d) Pierre's father.
14. Why did Monsieur Sklodovska lose his job?
(a) He wasn't subservient enough.
(b) His wife became ill.
(c) He was caught speaking Polish.
(d) He couldn't learn to speak Russian.
15. What caused Pierre's career to suffer?
(a) His location in Paris.
(b) His attraction to Marie.
(c) His need to always be in control.
(d) His idealism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does this story open?
2. What was the monument erected to represent?
3. Why don't the Curies ask the university or French government for a grant?
4. How are Marie and Pierre similar?
5. How does Marie look back on these years with her exhaustion and chronic worry about money?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)