|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Monsieur Sklodovska lose his job?
(a) He wasn't subservient enough.
(b) He was caught speaking Polish.
(c) His wife became ill.
(d) He couldn't learn to speak Russian.
2. What is one of Manya, Aunt Lucia and Hela's favorite activities?
(a) Buying apples.
(b) Telling Polish stories.
(c) Going to Church.
(d) Reading from the Bible.
3. Why do Casimir's parents oppose the idea of marriage to Manya?
(a) Manya's family does not have enough money.
(b) They want him to marry a Russian.
(c) They do not want him to marry a governess.
(d) They think they are too young to get married.
4. Which of the children takes over managing the household once Manya's mother dies?
5. Where does this story open?
6. What does Manya find herself ecstatic with even though she has holes in her math and physics skills?
(a) The lectures.
(b) Being close to her family.
(c) The culture.
(d) The sites in Paris.
7. Who agrees to move in with Marie and Pierre to help them with the new child?
(a) Marie's father.
(b) Marie's brother.
(c) Pierre's sister.
(d) Pierre's father.
8. What does the visit from the inspector make Manya more aware of?
(a) Her personal troubles.
(b) Her lack of personal strength.
(c) Her desire to find a new book.
(d) Her need to flee Poland.
9. As Marie Curie reflected back on her life what did she indicate was necessary in order to build a better world?
(a) Improving the individual.
(b) Self-guided principles.
(d) Social progress.
10. What medical condition does Marie suffer from due to her diet?
11. What does Manya find the discussion at her employers' home to be filled with?
(a) Intellectual pursuits.
(b) Social change.
(c) Russian loyalty.
12. What is piezoelectric quartz?
(a) A device used to define the measurements of crystals.
(b) A device used for measuring small amounts of electricity.
(c) A device used for clarifying the value of quartz crystals.
(d) A device to turn rocks into quartz.
13. What research is Pierre conducting that he abandons to help Marie?
(a) Thorium resilience.
(b) X-ray exclusions.
(c) Uranium conductivity.
(d) Crystalline physics
14. Which of the following is the best definition for the term kuligs?
(a) Country wildflowers.
(b) Books read in isolation.
(c) Special dishes cooked for birthdays.
(d) Carnivals lasting several days.
15. What caused Pierre's career to suffer?
(a) His location in Paris.
(b) His need to always be in control.
(c) His attraction to Marie.
(d) His idealism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Manya find her own friends?
2. In what way is Joseph Boguski related to Manya?
3. Who does Manya begin teaching?
4. Why does Marie need to get up very early in the morning?
5. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe Manya to be?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)