|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Manya's dream at this time in her life?
(a) To study physics.
(b) To become a physician.
2. As Marie Curie reflected back on her life what did she indicate was necessary in order to build a better world?
(b) Self-guided principles.
(c) Improving the individual.
(d) Social progress.
3. What does the visit from the inspector make Manya more aware of?
(a) Her lack of personal strength.
(b) Her need to flee Poland.
(c) Her desire to find a new book.
(d) Her personal troubles.
4. What does Manya find the discussion at her employers' home to be filled with?
(a) Social change.
(b) Intellectual pursuits.
(d) Russian loyalty.
5. What does Pierre study at the School of Physics and Chemistry in Paris?
(c) Crystalline physics.
(d) Scientific scales.
6. What is Manya afraid she will never be forgiven for figuring out how to do?
7. What is pitchblende?
(a) A radium core.
(b) A polonium based metal.
(c) A uranium core.
(d) A combination of radium and polonium.
8. What profession does Bronya's husband have?
9. What is piezoelectric quartz?
(a) A device used for measuring small amounts of electricity.
(b) A device used for clarifying the value of quartz crystals.
(c) A device to turn rocks into quartz.
(d) A device used to define the measurements of crystals.
10. Where does Marie feel truly in her element?
(a) With her sister and brother-in-law.
(b) Physics laboratory.
(c) Working with the peasants.
(d) Her attic apartment.
11. What was the monument erected to represent?
(a) Those that were heros of Poland.
(b) Those that were great Polish leaders.
(c) Those that were great Russian leaders.
(d) Those who betrayed Poland to ally with Russia.
12. What is the main area that Manya has found her interest waning in since she arrived in Paris?
(b) Family relationships.
(c) Young men.
13. Which of the following children is the youngest?
14. Though their life becomes dull and monotonous, what does this encourage for the family members?
(a) Desire to look for freedom.
(b) Financial planning.
(c) Familial bonds.
(d) Work and study.
15. Which of the following is the best definition for the term kuligs?
(a) Country wildflowers.
(b) Books read in isolation.
(c) Special dishes cooked for birthdays.
(d) Carnivals lasting several days.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were Marie and Pierre introduced?
2. What seems to be always near the surface among the Polish intelligentsia?
3. What does Marie discover?
4. Which of the children takes over managing the household once Manya's mother dies?
5. What has Marie ruled out of her life?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)