|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Manya change her name to Marie?
(a) Because her sister who died used to call her that.
(b) Because she is starting a new life.
(c) Because it is the French version of her name.
(d) Because she wants to forget her past.
2. How do Marie and Pierre travel on their honeymoon?
3. Why did Monsieur Sklodovska lose his job?
(a) He couldn't learn to speak Russian.
(b) His wife became ill.
(c) He was caught speaking Polish.
(d) He wasn't subservient enough.
4. Why is Manya always chosen to answer the inspector's questions?
(a) She can tell lies perfectly in Russian.
(b) She is the youngest in the class and therefore impressive.
(c) She speaks Russian perfectly and is knowledgeable.
(d) She is the most respectful to the inspector.
5. How old is Manya at the beginning of this chapter?
6. Why don't the Curies buy large quantities of pitchblende?
(a) It is too expensive.
(b) It is too rare.
(c) It is not safe to have large quantities.
(d) It is only found in Russia.
7. What does Marie decide to get her masters degree in?
(a) Physics and anatomy.
(b) Physics only.
(c) Math and anatomy.
(d) Physics and math.
8. How does Manya describe her first post as governess?
9. What position does Monsieur Sklodovska accept after his retirement?
(b) Director of a reform school.
(c) Director of boarding house.
(d) Teacher of the poor.
10. What seems to be always near the surface among the Polish intelligentsia?
11. How do the Curies pay for the residue of the pitchblende they receive from the mines?
(a) Borrowed money from their siblings.
(b) Their own savings.
(c) University money.
(d) Borrowed money from a bank loan.
12. Which of the children takes over managing the household once Manya's mother dies?
13. What is Manya afraid she will never be forgiven for figuring out how to do?
14. What causes Manya to experience her first revolt against the church?
(a) The Russian imposition.
(b) Her mother's death.
(c) Her father's loss of job and wages.
(d) Reading her books.
15. What does Marie eat regularly?
(a) Buttered bread and tea.
(b) Water and noodles.
(c) Beef and noodles.
(d) Rice and broth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Curies have to now prove?
2. What does Manya indicate she feels for the first time when her father sends her to the country as a reward?
3. Who agrees to move in with Marie and Pierre to help them with the new child?
4. How does Manya describe her successes with the peasants?
5. How does Manya combat her discouragement?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)