|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What medical condition does Marie suffer from due to her diet?
2. Why does Manya come to the conclusion that keeping a post in Warsaw is impossible?
(a) She cannot hide from the Russians.
(b) She finds no intellectual challenge.
(c) It does not pay enough.
(d) She can not tolerate the rich.
3. How do the children earn their living as they finish school?
(b) Cleaning houses.
(c) Being a servant.
(d) Taking on boarders.
4. How are Marie and Pierre similar?
(a) Both like to be near their family.
(b) Both are from Poland.
(c) Both have sisters.
(d) Both are married to their work.
5. What does Manya offer to God in place of her mother?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her books.
(c) Her apples.
6. Which of the children died from typhus?
7. What decision does Manya make in regard to her life when Bronya invites her to Paris?
(a) She decides to stay in Warsaw another year.
(b) She decides to go to Paris with her father.
(c) She decides to abandon everything.
(d) She decides to move back with her father.
8. What conclusion does Marie draw about the minerals she examines?
(a) The radioactivity is limited to only uranium and thorium.
(b) They all have their basis in thorium.
(c) They are not as strong as uranium.
(d) There must be another element as yet undetermined.
9. How many elements do Marie and Pierre come to realize radioactivity is concentrated in besides those already identified?
10. Which of the children takes over managing the household once Manya's mother dies?
11. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
(a) Kick it.
(b) Spit on it.
(c) Salute it.
(d) Throw stones at it.
12. What has Marie ruled out of her life?
(b) Family support.
(d) Fulfilling her dreams.
13. Where does Marie feel truly in her element?
(a) Her attic apartment.
(b) Working with the peasants.
(c) Physics laboratory.
(d) With her sister and brother-in-law.
14. Which of the following isn't one of the words Manya picks up on from overheard conversations?
15. What does Manya find herself ecstatic with even though she has holes in her math and physics skills?
(a) Being close to her family.
(b) The culture.
(c) The sites in Paris.
(d) The lectures.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Monsieur Sklodovska lose his job?
2. As Marie Curie reflected back on her life what did she indicate was necessary in order to build a better world?
3. Which of the children has gone to study medicine?
4. Where does Manya find her own friends?
5. How do the Curies pay for the residue of the pitchblende they receive from the mines?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)