|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Manya begin to withdraw from the performances the Polish students have?
(a) Because her father told her to do that.
(b) Because she cannot participate in them.
(c) Because she enjoys entertaining with her sister.
(d) Because it is dangerous and takes away study time.
2. Who is Manya's first romance with?
(a) Her employer's son.
(b) Her sister's best friend.
(c) A friend of her fathers.
(d) A boy from her brother's school.
3. How old is Manya at the beginning of this chapter?
4. How do the Curies pay for the residue of the pitchblende they receive from the mines?
(a) Borrowed money from a bank loan.
(b) University money.
(c) Borrowed money from their siblings.
(d) Their own savings.
5. How many elements do Marie and Pierre come to realize radioactivity is concentrated in besides those already identified?
6. What position does Monsieur Sklodovska accept after his retirement?
(b) Director of a reform school.
(c) Teacher of the poor.
(d) Director of boarding house.
7. What does Marie eat regularly?
(a) Water and noodles.
(b) Beef and noodles.
(c) Buttered bread and tea.
(d) Rice and broth.
8. Where do the Sklodovskass now live?
(a) A homeless shelter.
(b) A tranquil courtyard.
(c) A train station.
(d) A small house on campus.
9. How does Manya consider herself intellectually?
(b) Below par.
(c) Average if not less.
10. Who does Monsieur Sklodovska have an ongoing conflict with?
(a) His colleagues.
(b) Russian principal.
(c) His wife.
(d) The Russian Tsar.
11. What is Manya afraid she will never be forgiven for figuring out how to do?
12. Why does Manya change her name to Marie?
(a) Because her sister who died used to call her that.
(b) Because she wants to forget her past.
(c) Because she is starting a new life.
(d) Because it is the French version of her name.
13. What is Manya's personal ambition?
(a) To help her sister realize her dreams.
(b) To become a patriot.
(c) To study in Paris.
(d) To help the poor.
14. Which of the children takes over managing the household once Manya's mother dies?
15. What is the children's single focus at this time?
(a) Staying healthy.
(b) Managing the house.
(c) Helping their father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Manya describe her successes with the peasants?
2. Why do Casimir's parents oppose the idea of marriage to Manya?
3. What religion does Manya practice?
4. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
5. Why was one of Manya's classmates brothers hanged?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)