|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marie decide to pursue her doctorate in?
(b) Biological science.
(c) Physical science.
2. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
(a) His father.
(b) His wife.
(c) His mother.
(d) No one, he forged his own path.
3. Where does this story open?
4. What are the boys in the opening scene of the story playing with?
(a) Toy animals.
(b) Toy vehicles.
(d) Wooden blocks.
5. How were Marie and Pierre introduced?
(a) A Polish physics professor.
(b) Marie's sister and brother-in-law.
(c) Pierre's family.
(d) Marie's father.
6. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe Manya to be?
(a) Stubborn and scornful.
(b) Studious and disrespectful.
(c) Smart and respectful.
(d) Lying and deceitful.
7. What does Marie eat regularly?
(a) Beef and noodles.
(b) Water and noodles.
(c) Rice and broth.
(d) Buttered bread and tea.
8. Though their life becomes dull and monotonous, what does this encourage for the family members?
(a) Work and study.
(b) Familial bonds.
(c) Desire to look for freedom.
(d) Financial planning.
9. What is Manya's personal ambition?
(a) To help the poor.
(b) To become a patriot.
(c) To help her sister realize her dreams.
(d) To study in Paris.
10. How does Manya combat her discouragement?
(a) Tutoring the peasants.
(b) Writing her own books.
(c) Doing charity work.
(d) Earning more and more money.
11. Why does Marie ignore all of her health issues?
(a) To focus only on studying.
(b) She is not speaking to her family.
(c) Because she cannot afford to treat her condition.
(d) She cannot remember her symptoms.
12. What does Marie discover?
(b) Gamma rays.
13. What does Marie call the second of the new elements she and Pierre discovered?
14. Why don't the Curies ask the university or French government for a grant?
(a) They are not tenored and cannot get grants.
(b) They are not French citizens.
(c) They feel they will be laughed at.
(d) They have already received the maximum amount of money.
15. How do the Curies pay for the residue of the pitchblende they receive from the mines?
(a) University money.
(b) Borrowed money from a bank loan.
(c) Their own savings.
(d) Borrowed money from their siblings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion does Manya practice?
2. How do her employers treat Manya?
3. Which of the children died from typhus?
4. How many years younger is Manya than her classmates?
5. How many elements do Marie and Pierre come to realize radioactivity is concentrated in besides those already identified?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)