|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following children is the youngest?
2. What is one of Manya, Aunt Lucia and Hela's favorite activities?
(a) Reading from the Bible.
(b) Going to Church.
(c) Buying apples.
(d) Telling Polish stories.
3. What are the boys in the opening scene of the story playing with?
(a) Wooden blocks.
(b) Toy animals.
(c) Toy vehicles.
4. What do the Curies have to now prove?
(a) The similarities between radium and polonium.
(b) The existence of radium.
(c) The differences between radium and polonium.
(d) The radioactivity of radium.
5. Why is Manya always chosen to answer the inspector's questions?
(a) She speaks Russian perfectly and is knowledgeable.
(b) She is the youngest in the class and therefore impressive.
(c) She is the most respectful to the inspector.
(d) She can tell lies perfectly in Russian.
6. What does the Curies' doctor warn Marie of?
(a) Tubercular lesion.
(b) Baby's seizure disorder.
(c) Taking more time to rest.
(d) Eating right.
7. What does Marie eat regularly?
(a) Beef and noodles.
(b) Buttered bread and tea.
(c) Rice and broth.
(d) Water and noodles.
8. Where does this story open?
9. What medical condition does Marie suffer from due to her diet?
10. What seems to be always near the surface among the Polish intelligentsia?
11. What conclusion does Marie draw about the minerals she examines?
(a) They all have their basis in thorium.
(b) They are not as strong as uranium.
(c) There must be another element as yet undetermined.
(d) The radioactivity is limited to only uranium and thorium.
12. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
(a) Kick it.
(b) Throw stones at it.
(c) Spit on it.
(d) Salute it.
13. How were Marie and Pierre introduced?
(a) Marie's sister and brother-in-law.
(b) Pierre's family.
(c) Marie's father.
(d) A Polish physics professor.
14. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
(a) His father.
(b) His wife.
(c) His mother.
(d) No one, he forged his own path.
15. What causes Manya to experience her first revolt against the church?
(a) The Russian imposition.
(b) Her mother's death.
(c) Her father's loss of job and wages.
(d) Reading her books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie call the second of the new elements she and Pierre discovered?
2. How do the words that Manya overhears make her feel even though she doesn't understand what they mean?
3. Why does Manya's work end at Sczczuki?
4. Which of the children has gone to study medicine?
5. What research is Pierre conducting that he abandons to help Marie?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)