|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the Sklodovskass now live?
(a) A tranquil courtyard.
(b) A homeless shelter.
(c) A train station.
(d) A small house on campus.
2. What causes Manya to experience her first revolt against the church?
(a) Reading her books.
(b) The Russian imposition.
(c) Her mother's death.
(d) Her father's loss of job and wages.
3. Why is Manya always chosen to answer the inspector's questions?
(a) She speaks Russian perfectly and is knowledgeable.
(b) She can tell lies perfectly in Russian.
(c) She is the most respectful to the inspector.
(d) She is the youngest in the class and therefore impressive.
4. How does Manya describe her successes with the peasants?
(a) Ground breaking.
5. Where does Manya go to escape from her troubles?
(c) The river.
6. Why was one of Manya's classmates brothers hanged?
(a) Teaching the girls forbidden things.
(b) Refusing to follow the school mistress.
(c) Plotting against Russia.
(d) Speaking Polish.
7. Who does Monsieur Sklodovska have an ongoing conflict with?
(a) His colleagues.
(b) His wife.
(c) The Russian Tsar.
(d) Russian principal.
8. How do the Curies discover radium's luminosity?
(a) They reduce the atomic weight.
(b) They boil down the liquid for a long time.
(c) They combine it with salt.
(d) They see jars on the shelf glowing blue.
9. How does Manya consider herself intellectually?
(b) Below par.
(c) Average if not less.
10. How do the Curies pay for the residue of the pitchblende they receive from the mines?
(a) Borrowed money from a bank loan.
(b) Borrowed money from their siblings.
(c) University money.
(d) Their own savings.
11. Though their life becomes dull and monotonous, what does this encourage for the family members?
(a) Desire to look for freedom.
(b) Work and study.
(c) Familial bonds.
(d) Financial planning.
12. Why does Manya's work end at Sczczuki?
(a) She has decided to leave the position.
(b) The children have gotten married.
(c) The family can no longer afford to pay her.
(d) The children finish their exams.
13. What is one of Manya, Aunt Lucia and Hela's favorite activities?
(a) Telling Polish stories.
(b) Buying apples.
(c) Reading from the Bible.
(d) Going to Church.
14. What is the main area that Manya has found her interest waning in since she arrived in Paris?
(a) Family relationships.
(d) Young men.
15. What does the Curies' doctor warn Marie of?
(a) Baby's seizure disorder.
(b) Taking more time to rest.
(c) Tubercular lesion.
(d) Eating right.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Casimir's parents oppose the idea of marriage to Manya?
2. What does Pierre study at the School of Physics and Chemistry in Paris?
3. Which of the children died from typhus?
4. What caused Pierre's career to suffer?
5. Why did the Sklodovskas switch to education?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)