|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is pitchblende?
(a) A polonium based metal.
(b) A radium core.
(c) A uranium core.
(d) A combination of radium and polonium.
2. Where does Marie feel truly in her element?
(a) Her attic apartment.
(b) With her sister and brother-in-law.
(c) Physics laboratory.
(d) Working with the peasants.
3. What does Manya find herself ecstatic with even though she has holes in her math and physics skills?
(a) The sites in Paris.
(b) The lectures.
(c) Being close to her family.
(d) The culture.
4. How does Manya describe her first post as governess?
5. What is the main area that Manya has found her interest waning in since she arrived in Paris?
(c) Family relationships.
(d) Young men.
6. Though their life becomes dull and monotonous, what does this encourage for the family members?
(a) Work and study.
(b) Familial bonds.
(c) Financial planning.
(d) Desire to look for freedom.
7. What caused Pierre's career to suffer?
(a) His idealism.
(b) His location in Paris.
(c) His need to always be in control.
(d) His attraction to Marie.
8. What has impeded the atmosphere at the schools in Poland?
(a) Unqualifed teachers.
(b) German invasion.
(c) Russian control.
(d) Lack of finances.
9. Why do Casimir's parents oppose the idea of marriage to Manya?
(a) They think they are too young to get married.
(b) They do not want him to marry a governess.
(c) Manya's family does not have enough money.
(d) They want him to marry a Russian.
10. What has Marie ruled out of her life?
(b) Fulfilling her dreams.
(d) Family support.
11. Why don't the Curies buy large quantities of pitchblende?
(a) It is too expensive.
(b) It is not safe to have large quantities.
(c) It is only found in Russia.
(d) It is too rare.
12. How does Manya describe her successes with the peasants?
(c) Ground breaking.
13. Where does this story open?
14. Why is Manya always chosen to answer the inspector's questions?
(a) She speaks Russian perfectly and is knowledgeable.
(b) She is the most respectful to the inspector.
(c) She can tell lies perfectly in Russian.
(d) She is the youngest in the class and therefore impressive.
15. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
(a) Kick it.
(b) Throw stones at it.
(c) Spit on it.
(d) Salute it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Manya go to escape from her troubles?
2. What is piezoelectric quartz?
3. How does Manya combat her discouragement?
4. How do Marie and Pierre travel on their honeymoon?
5. What does the father of the children in the opening scene of the school teach?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)