|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the visit from the inspector make Manya more aware of?
(a) Her lack of personal strength.
(b) Her desire to find a new book.
(c) Her need to flee Poland.
(d) Her personal troubles.
2. Though their life becomes dull and monotonous, what does this encourage for the family members?
(a) Work and study.
(b) Desire to look for freedom.
(c) Familial bonds.
(d) Financial planning.
3. What has Marie ruled out of her life?
(a) Family support.
(b) Fulfilling her dreams.
4. Why was one of Manya's classmates brothers hanged?
(a) Speaking Polish.
(b) Plotting against Russia.
(c) Refusing to follow the school mistress.
(d) Teaching the girls forbidden things.
5. Why does Manya change her name to Marie?
(a) Because it is the French version of her name.
(b) Because she wants to forget her past.
(c) Because she is starting a new life.
(d) Because her sister who died used to call her that.
6. Why does Marie need to get up very early in the morning?
(a) To pay the bills.
(b) To take Pierre to work.
(c) To go to the market.
(d) To do her own chores.
7. What was the monument erected to represent?
(a) Those that were great Russian leaders.
(b) Those that were heros of Poland.
(c) Those that were great Polish leaders.
(d) Those who betrayed Poland to ally with Russia.
8. What does Manya find herself ecstatic with even though she has holes in her math and physics skills?
(a) The lectures.
(b) The sites in Paris.
(c) Being close to her family.
(d) The culture.
9. Which of the children has gone to study medicine?
10. When does Manya finish her secondary studies?
11. What do the Curies have to now prove?
(a) The existence of radium.
(b) The similarities between radium and polonium.
(c) The radioactivity of radium.
(d) The differences between radium and polonium.
12. What does Marie eat regularly?
(a) Beef and noodles.
(b) Buttered bread and tea.
(c) Water and noodles.
(d) Rice and broth.
13. How does Manya describe her successes with the peasants?
(a) Ground breaking.
14. Why does Manya begin to withdraw from the performances the Polish students have?
(a) Because she enjoys entertaining with her sister.
(b) Because her father told her to do that.
(c) Because it is dangerous and takes away study time.
(d) Because she cannot participate in them.
15. Where does Manya find her own friends?
(a) Her sister's friends.
(b) The peasants of the city.
(c) Other Polish students in the Latin Quarter.
(d) Russian immigrants in Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie call the second of the new elements she and Pierre discovered?
2. What happens during Marie and Pierre's second year of marriage?
3. What position does Monsieur Sklodovska accept after his retirement?
4. What medical condition does Marie suffer from due to her diet?
5. Who does Manya begin teaching?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)