|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Manya finish her secondary studies?
2. What does Manya find the discussion at her employers' home to be filled with?
(a) Social change.
(b) Intellectual pursuits.
(d) Russian loyalty.
3. What does Marie discover?
(b) Gamma rays.
4. How do her employers treat Manya?
(d) With great respect.
5. What was the monument erected to represent?
(a) Those that were great Russian leaders.
(b) Those that were heros of Poland.
(c) Those that were great Polish leaders.
(d) Those who betrayed Poland to ally with Russia.
6. What did Mademoiselle Mayer catch Manya and her friend doing that caused a great conflict between the two of them?
(a) Speaking in Polish instead of Russian.
(b) Dancing with joy at the assassination of the Tsar.
(c) Studying subjects that were prohibited to girls.
(d) Making fun of Mademoiselle Mayer behind her back.
7. Which of the following children is the youngest?
8. Why did Monsieur Sklodovska lose his job?
(a) He couldn't learn to speak Russian.
(b) He wasn't subservient enough.
(c) He was caught speaking Polish.
(d) His wife became ill.
9. What is Manya's dream at this time in her life?
(a) To study physics.
(d) To become a physician.
10. Where does Manya go to escape from her troubles?
(c) The river.
11. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
(a) Salute it.
(b) Kick it.
(c) Throw stones at it.
(d) Spit on it.
12. Which of the children died from typhus?
13. How do the children earn their living as they finish school?
(a) Being a servant.
(b) Taking on boarders.
(d) Cleaning houses.
14. What does Marie call the second of the new elements she and Pierre discovered?
15. What does Manya find herself ecstatic with even though she has holes in her math and physics skills?
(a) Being close to her family.
(b) The lectures.
(c) The sites in Paris.
(d) The culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many elements do Marie and Pierre come to realize radioactivity is concentrated in besides those already identified?
2. How does Manya describe her first post as governess?
3. What does Marie eat regularly?
4. Where does this story open?
5. What religion does Manya practice?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)