|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Manya stay working as the governess with Casimir's family?
(a) She cannot find another job that pays as much.
(b) The family asks her to stay to prevent scandal.
(c) She wants to convince them to approve of the marriage.
(d) She cannot bear to be away from Casimir.
2. How do the words that Manya overhears make her feel even though she doesn't understand what they mean?
3. What did Mademoiselle Mayer catch Manya and her friend doing that caused a great conflict between the two of them?
(a) Dancing with joy at the assassination of the Tsar.
(b) Studying subjects that were prohibited to girls.
(c) Speaking in Polish instead of Russian.
(d) Making fun of Mademoiselle Mayer behind her back.
4. Which of the following children is the youngest?
5. What happens during Marie and Pierre's second year of marriage?
(a) Pierre dies.
(b) He loses his job.
(c) She gets pregnant.
(d) Marie graduates from school.
6. Why does Manya begin to withdraw from the performances the Polish students have?
(a) Because it is dangerous and takes away study time.
(b) Because her father told her to do that.
(c) Because she enjoys entertaining with her sister.
(d) Because she cannot participate in them.
7. Why does Marie ignore all of her health issues?
(a) To focus only on studying.
(b) Because she cannot afford to treat her condition.
(c) She cannot remember her symptoms.
(d) She is not speaking to her family.
8. Why does Manya change her name to Marie?
(a) Because she wants to forget her past.
(b) Because her sister who died used to call her that.
(c) Because it is the French version of her name.
(d) Because she is starting a new life.
9. What is the children's single focus at this time?
(b) Staying healthy.
(c) Helping their father.
(d) Managing the house.
10. Why did Monsieur Sklodovska lose his job?
(a) He wasn't subservient enough.
(b) His wife became ill.
(c) He couldn't learn to speak Russian.
(d) He was caught speaking Polish.
11. How does Manya consider herself intellectually?
(b) Average if not less.
(d) Below par.
12. How are Marie and Pierre similar?
(a) Both have sisters.
(b) Both are from Poland.
(c) Both are married to their work.
(d) Both like to be near their family.
13. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
(a) Kick it.
(b) Salute it.
(c) Spit on it.
(d) Throw stones at it.
14. What does Bronya tell her father to do with some of the money her father has set aside?
(a) Move the family to Paris.
(b) Pay back Manya.
(c) Send Manya to school.
(d) Find a better house.
15. Why does Manya come to the conclusion that keeping a post in Warsaw is impossible?
(a) She cannot hide from the Russians.
(b) She finds no intellectual challenge.
(c) She can not tolerate the rich.
(d) It does not pay enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pierre's only focus when Marie and he settle into their first flat?
2. What decision does Manya make in regard to her life when Bronya invites her to Paris?
3. What are the boys in the opening scene of the story playing with?
4. What research is Pierre conducting that he abandons to help Marie?
5. As Marie Curie reflected back on her life what did she indicate was necessary in order to build a better world?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)