|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Curies have to now prove?
(a) The similarities between radium and polonium.
(b) The existence of radium.
(c) The differences between radium and polonium.
(d) The radioactivity of radium.
2. Who does Monsieur Sklodovska have an ongoing conflict with?
(a) Russian principal.
(b) The Russian Tsar.
(c) His wife.
(d) His colleagues.
3. What was the monument erected to represent?
(a) Those that were great Polish leaders.
(b) Those who betrayed Poland to ally with Russia.
(c) Those that were heros of Poland.
(d) Those that were great Russian leaders.
4. What has impeded the atmosphere at the schools in Poland?
(a) Unqualifed teachers.
(b) Lack of finances.
(c) Russian control.
(d) German invasion.
5. What has Marie ruled out of her life?
(c) Family support.
(d) Fulfilling her dreams.
6. Which of the children died from typhus?
7. Why don't the Curies ask the university or French government for a grant?
(a) They have already received the maximum amount of money.
(b) They are not tenored and cannot get grants.
(c) They are not French citizens.
(d) They feel they will be laughed at.
8. Where does Manya go to escape from her troubles?
(a) The river.
9. Why is Manya always chosen to answer the inspector's questions?
(a) She is the youngest in the class and therefore impressive.
(b) She can tell lies perfectly in Russian.
(c) She speaks Russian perfectly and is knowledgeable.
(d) She is the most respectful to the inspector.
10. What does Manya enter for the first time during this time period in her life?
11. Why don't the Curies buy large quantities of pitchblende?
(a) It is only found in Russia.
(b) It is too rare.
(c) It is too expensive.
(d) It is not safe to have large quantities.
12. Which of the children takes over managing the household once Manya's mother dies?
13. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
(a) His mother.
(b) His wife.
(c) No one, he forged his own path.
(d) His father.
14. Why do Casimir's parents oppose the idea of marriage to Manya?
(a) They want him to marry a Russian.
(b) They think they are too young to get married.
(c) Manya's family does not have enough money.
(d) They do not want him to marry a governess.
15. How do the words that Manya overhears make her feel even though she doesn't understand what they mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following areas best describes why Manya feels so depressed?
2. Where do Manya and Bronya dream of going?
3. As Marie Curie reflected back on her life what did she indicate was necessary in order to build a better world?
4. What caused Pierre's career to suffer?
5. How do the Curies discover radium's luminosity?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)