|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bronya tell her father to do with some of the money her father has set aside?
(a) Find a better house.
(b) Move the family to Paris.
(c) Pay back Manya.
(d) Send Manya to school.
2. How were Marie and Pierre introduced?
(a) Marie's sister and brother-in-law.
(b) A Polish physics professor.
(c) Pierre's family.
(d) Marie's father.
3. Where do the Sklodovskass now live?
(a) A small house on campus.
(b) A homeless shelter.
(c) A tranquil courtyard.
(d) A train station.
4. How old is Manya at the beginning of this chapter?
5. Which of the following isn't one of the words Manya picks up on from overheard conversations?
6. Why don't the Curies ask the university or French government for a grant?
(a) They have already received the maximum amount of money.
(b) They feel they will be laughed at.
(c) They are not French citizens.
(d) They are not tenored and cannot get grants.
7. Which of the children takes over managing the household once Manya's mother dies?
8. What does Marie decide to pursue her doctorate in?
(c) Biological science.
(d) Physical science.
9. What causes Manya to experience her first revolt against the church?
(a) Her father's loss of job and wages.
(b) Reading her books.
(c) The Russian imposition.
(d) Her mother's death.
10. How do the words that Manya overhears make her feel even though she doesn't understand what they mean?
11. Why did the Sklodovskas switch to education?
(a) Because that is what their familes have done for years.
(b) Because it is the safest profession.
(c) Because they believe in education.
(d) Because estates have grown poorer.
12. Why do Casimir's parents oppose the idea of marriage to Manya?
(a) They do not want him to marry a governess.
(b) They want him to marry a Russian.
(c) They think they are too young to get married.
(d) Manya's family does not have enough money.
13. How do Marie and Pierre travel on their honeymoon?
14. What are the boys in the opening scene of the story playing with?
(a) Toy animals.
(b) Toy vehicles.
(d) Wooden blocks.
15. What does Pierre study at the School of Physics and Chemistry in Paris?
(b) Scientific scales.
(d) Crystalline physics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe Manya to be?
2. What does Marie eat regularly?
3. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
4. As Marie Curie reflected back on her life what did she indicate was necessary in order to build a better world?
5. What is Manya's dream at this time in her life?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)