|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does this story open?
2. How were Marie and Pierre introduced?
(a) Pierre's family.
(b) Marie's father.
(c) A Polish physics professor.
(d) Marie's sister and brother-in-law.
3. What does Manya indicate she feels for the first time when her father sends her to the country as a reward?
4. What is Manya afraid she will never be forgiven for figuring out how to do?
5. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
(a) No one, he forged his own path.
(b) His mother.
(c) His wife.
(d) His father.
6. How old is Manya at the beginning of this chapter?
7. What religion does Manya practice?
(c) Russian Orthodox.
8. Who does Monsieur Sklodovska have an ongoing conflict with?
(a) His wife.
(b) Russian principal.
(c) His colleagues.
(d) The Russian Tsar.
9. Why does Marie need to get up very early in the morning?
(a) To go to the market.
(b) To do her own chores.
(c) To pay the bills.
(d) To take Pierre to work.
10. What do the Curies have to now prove?
(a) The radioactivity of radium.
(b) The differences between radium and polonium.
(c) The existence of radium.
(d) The similarities between radium and polonium.
11. What does Marie decide to pursue her doctorate in?
(a) Physical science.
(d) Biological science.
12. What is Manya's dream at this time in her life?
(a) To study physics.
(d) To become a physician.
13. Who does Manya begin teaching?
(a) Those who wish to learn chemistry.
(b) Young polish children.
(c) All of the children in her neighborhood.
(d) Poor working women.
14. What is the children's single focus at this time?
(a) Staying healthy.
(b) Helping their father.
(c) Managing the house.
15. What does Pierre study at the School of Physics and Chemistry in Paris?
(a) Scientific scales.
(b) Crystalline physics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Manya come to the conclusion that keeping a post in Warsaw is impossible?
2. How are Marie and Pierre similar?
3. What does Manya enter for the first time during this time period in her life?
4. Who is Manya's first romance with?
5. What caused Pierre's career to suffer?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)