|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Manya finish her secondary studies?
2. How do the Curies pay for the residue of the pitchblende they receive from the mines?
(a) Borrowed money from a bank loan.
(b) University money.
(c) Their own savings.
(d) Borrowed money from their siblings.
3. What has impeded the atmosphere at the schools in Poland?
(a) German invasion.
(b) Lack of finances.
(c) Russian control.
(d) Unqualifed teachers.
4. Why does Marie need to get up very early in the morning?
(a) To go to the market.
(b) To do her own chores.
(c) To take Pierre to work.
(d) To pay the bills.
5. What does Marie decide to get her masters degree in?
(a) Math and anatomy.
(b) Physics and math.
(c) Physics only.
(d) Physics and anatomy.
6. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
(a) His father.
(b) His wife.
(c) His mother.
(d) No one, he forged his own path.
7. Why does Manya come to the conclusion that keeping a post in Warsaw is impossible?
(a) She cannot hide from the Russians.
(b) She finds no intellectual challenge.
(c) She can not tolerate the rich.
(d) It does not pay enough.
8. What is Manya afraid she will never be forgiven for figuring out how to do?
9. How do Marie and Pierre travel on their honeymoon?
10. What does Bronya tell her father to do with some of the money her father has set aside?
(a) Find a better house.
(b) Move the family to Paris.
(c) Pay back Manya.
(d) Send Manya to school.
11. What profession does Bronya's husband have?
12. Why does Manya's work end at Sczczuki?
(a) The children finish their exams.
(b) She has decided to leave the position.
(c) The children have gotten married.
(d) The family can no longer afford to pay her.
13. What does Manya experience as soon as she leaves her books?
(a) A longing to flee her life.
(b) A return of her sadness.
(c) An anger at the Russians.
(d) A desire to help her mother.
14. Why does Manya change her name to Marie?
(a) Because she wants to forget her past.
(b) Because she is starting a new life.
(c) Because her sister who died used to call her that.
(d) Because it is the French version of her name.
15. How does Manya describe her successes with the peasants?
(c) Ground breaking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What conclusion does Marie draw about the minerals she examines?
2. What did Mademoiselle Mayer catch Manya and her friend doing that caused a great conflict between the two of them?
3. Where does this story open?
4. Who does Monsieur Sklodovska have an ongoing conflict with?
5. Where do the Sklodovskass now live?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)