|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Curies pay for the residue of the pitchblende they receive from the mines?
(a) University money.
(b) Their own savings.
(c) Borrowed money from their siblings.
(d) Borrowed money from a bank loan.
2. What has impeded the atmosphere at the schools in Poland?
(a) Lack of finances.
(b) Russian control.
(c) Unqualifed teachers.
(d) German invasion.
3. What does Marie call the second of the new elements she and Pierre discovered?
4. What does Marie eat regularly?
(a) Beef and noodles.
(b) Water and noodles.
(c) Rice and broth.
(d) Buttered bread and tea.
5. Why does Manya come to the conclusion that keeping a post in Warsaw is impossible?
(a) She can not tolerate the rich.
(b) She finds no intellectual challenge.
(c) She cannot hide from the Russians.
(d) It does not pay enough.
6. What was the monument erected to represent?
(a) Those that were great Polish leaders.
(b) Those that were heros of Poland.
(c) Those that were great Russian leaders.
(d) Those who betrayed Poland to ally with Russia.
7. Where do the Sklodovskass now live?
(a) A train station.
(b) A homeless shelter.
(c) A small house on campus.
(d) A tranquil courtyard.
8. How old is Manya at the beginning of this chapter?
9. What is piezoelectric quartz?
(a) A device used to define the measurements of crystals.
(b) A device used for clarifying the value of quartz crystals.
(c) A device used for measuring small amounts of electricity.
(d) A device to turn rocks into quartz.
10. What does Manya find the discussion at her employers' home to be filled with?
(a) Intellectual pursuits.
(b) Social change.
(c) Russian loyalty.
11. Why does Marie ignore all of her health issues?
(a) Because she cannot afford to treat her condition.
(b) To focus only on studying.
(c) She cannot remember her symptoms.
(d) She is not speaking to her family.
12. What is pitchblende?
(a) A polonium based metal.
(b) A uranium core.
(c) A combination of radium and polonium.
(d) A radium core.
13. What causes Manya to experience her first revolt against the church?
(a) The Russian imposition.
(b) Her mother's death.
(c) Reading her books.
(d) Her father's loss of job and wages.
14. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His wife.
(d) No one, he forged his own path.
15. What does the Curies' doctor warn Marie of?
(a) Taking more time to rest.
(b) Tubercular lesion.
(c) Baby's seizure disorder.
(d) Eating right.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manya enter for the first time during this time period in her life?
2. Where does Manya go to escape from her troubles?
3. What seems to be always near the surface among the Polish intelligentsia?
4. What does the father of the children in the opening scene of the school teach?
5. Though their life becomes dull and monotonous, what does this encourage for the family members?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)