|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do her employers treat Manya?
(d) With great respect.
2. What is pitchblende?
(a) A uranium core.
(b) A polonium based metal.
(c) A combination of radium and polonium.
(d) A radium core.
3. What is one of Manya, Aunt Lucia and Hela's favorite activities?
(a) Telling Polish stories.
(b) Reading from the Bible.
(c) Buying apples.
(d) Going to Church.
4. Where do Manya and Bronya dream of going?
5. How do the Curies pay for the residue of the pitchblende they receive from the mines?
(a) Borrowed money from their siblings.
(b) Borrowed money from a bank loan.
(c) Their own savings.
(d) University money.
6. As Marie Curie reflected back on her life what did she indicate was necessary in order to build a better world?
(a) Self-guided principles.
(b) Improving the individual.
(c) Social progress.
7. What does the father of the children in the opening scene of the school teach?
8. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe Manya to be?
(a) Smart and respectful.
(b) Studious and disrespectful.
(c) Stubborn and scornful.
(d) Lying and deceitful.
9. What is Manya afraid she will never be forgiven for figuring out how to do?
10. What is piezoelectric quartz?
(a) A device used for clarifying the value of quartz crystals.
(b) A device used for measuring small amounts of electricity.
(c) A device used to define the measurements of crystals.
(d) A device to turn rocks into quartz.
11. How old is Manya at the beginning of this chapter?
12. What position does Monsieur Sklodovska accept after his retirement?
(a) Teacher of the poor.
(b) Director of boarding house.
(c) Director of a reform school.
13. Who is Manya's first romance with?
(a) Her employer's son.
(b) A friend of her fathers.
(c) A boy from her brother's school.
(d) Her sister's best friend.
14. Why did Monsieur Sklodovska lose his job?
(a) He was caught speaking Polish.
(b) He wasn't subservient enough.
(c) His wife became ill.
(d) He couldn't learn to speak Russian.
15. What does Manya find the discussion at her employers' home to be filled with?
(a) Social change.
(b) Intellectual pursuits.
(d) Russian loyalty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie eat regularly?
2. What causes Manya to experience her first revolt against the church?
3. How does Manya consider herself intellectually?
4. What has Marie ruled out of her life?
5. What caused Pierre's career to suffer?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)