|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Manya find the discussion at her employers' home to be filled with?
(a) Social change.
(b) Russian loyalty.
(c) Intellectual pursuits.
2. What has Marie ruled out of her life?
(a) Fulfilling her dreams.
(c) Family support.
3. Which of the children has gone to study medicine?
4. How does Manya describe her first post as governess?
5. How do her employers treat Manya?
(d) With great respect.
6. What does Manya experience as soon as she leaves her books?
(a) An anger at the Russians.
(b) A longing to flee her life.
(c) A desire to help her mother.
(d) A return of her sadness.
7. What research is Pierre conducting that he abandons to help Marie?
(a) Crystalline physics
(b) X-ray exclusions.
(c) Thorium resilience.
(d) Uranium conductivity.
8. How do the words that Manya overhears make her feel even though she doesn't understand what they mean?
9. Though their life becomes dull and monotonous, what does this encourage for the family members?
(a) Desire to look for freedom.
(b) Financial planning.
(c) Work and study.
(d) Familial bonds.
10. What are the boys in the opening scene of the story playing with?
(a) Toy vehicles.
(b) Wooden blocks.
(d) Toy animals.
11. How does Manya combat her discouragement?
(a) Earning more and more money.
(b) Tutoring the peasants.
(c) Doing charity work.
(d) Writing her own books.
12. Which of the following isn't one of the words Manya picks up on from overheard conversations?
13. What happens during Marie and Pierre's second year of marriage?
(a) Pierre dies.
(b) He loses his job.
(c) She gets pregnant.
(d) Marie graduates from school.
14. What is the main area that Manya has found her interest waning in since she arrived in Paris?
(a) Young men.
(b) Family relationships.
15. Which of the following is the best definition for the term kuligs?
(a) Carnivals lasting several days.
(b) Special dishes cooked for birthdays.
(c) Country wildflowers.
(d) Books read in isolation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What medical condition does Marie suffer from due to her diet?
2. What does Bronya tell her father to do with some of the money her father has set aside?
3. Where does Manya go to escape from her troubles?
4. What does the Curies' doctor warn Marie of?
5. What does Manya enter for the first time during this time period in her life?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)