|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the children's single focus at this time?
(a) Managing the house.
(b) Staying healthy.
(c) Helping their father.
2. How do the children earn their living as they finish school?
(b) Being a servant.
(c) Taking on boarders.
(d) Cleaning houses.
3. Why does Manya stay working as the governess with Casimir's family?
(a) She wants to convince them to approve of the marriage.
(b) She cannot bear to be away from Casimir.
(c) She cannot find another job that pays as much.
(d) The family asks her to stay to prevent scandal.
4. What does Manya experience as soon as she leaves her books?
(a) A desire to help her mother.
(b) A longing to flee her life.
(c) An anger at the Russians.
(d) A return of her sadness.
5. How were Marie and Pierre introduced?
(a) Pierre's family.
(b) Marie's sister and brother-in-law.
(c) Marie's father.
(d) A Polish physics professor.
6. Why was one of Manya's classmates brothers hanged?
(a) Plotting against Russia.
(b) Refusing to follow the school mistress.
(c) Speaking Polish.
(d) Teaching the girls forbidden things.
7. What is piezoelectric quartz?
(a) A device used to define the measurements of crystals.
(b) A device to turn rocks into quartz.
(c) A device used for measuring small amounts of electricity.
(d) A device used for clarifying the value of quartz crystals.
8. How many years younger is Manya than her classmates?
9. What is Manya's dream at this time in her life?
(c) To become a physician.
(d) To study physics.
10. What is pitchblende?
(a) A combination of radium and polonium.
(b) A polonium based metal.
(c) A uranium core.
(d) A radium core.
11. What does the Curies' doctor warn Marie of?
(a) Eating right.
(b) Taking more time to rest.
(c) Baby's seizure disorder.
(d) Tubercular lesion.
12. Which of the children died from typhus?
13. What does the father of the children in the opening scene of the school teach?
14. What is one of Manya, Aunt Lucia and Hela's favorite activities?
(a) Going to Church.
(b) Reading from the Bible.
(c) Telling Polish stories.
(d) Buying apples.
15. What does Bronya tell her father to do with some of the money her father has set aside?
(a) Pay back Manya.
(b) Move the family to Paris.
(c) Send Manya to school.
(d) Find a better house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following isn't one of the words Manya picks up on from overheard conversations?
2. Why does Manya change her name to Marie?
3. Why does Manya come to the conclusion that keeping a post in Warsaw is impossible?
4. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe Manya to be?
5. What decision does Manya make in regard to her life when Bronya invites her to Paris?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)