|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the children has gone to study medicine?
2. What does Manya find herself ecstatic with even though she has holes in her math and physics skills?
(a) The culture.
(b) Being close to her family.
(c) The lectures.
(d) The sites in Paris.
3. Why don't the Curies ask the university or French government for a grant?
(a) They feel they will be laughed at.
(b) They are not tenored and cannot get grants.
(c) They have already received the maximum amount of money.
(d) They are not French citizens.
4. Why does Marie ignore all of her health issues?
(a) She is not speaking to her family.
(b) To focus only on studying.
(c) She cannot remember her symptoms.
(d) Because she cannot afford to treat her condition.
5. Why was one of Manya's classmates brothers hanged?
(a) Speaking Polish.
(b) Plotting against Russia.
(c) Refusing to follow the school mistress.
(d) Teaching the girls forbidden things.
6. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe Manya to be?
(a) Smart and respectful.
(b) Stubborn and scornful.
(c) Lying and deceitful.
(d) Studious and disrespectful.
7. Where does Manya go to escape from her troubles?
(c) The river.
8. What seems to be always near the surface among the Polish intelligentsia?
9. What has impeded the atmosphere at the schools in Poland?
(a) Russian control.
(b) German invasion.
(c) Unqualifed teachers.
(d) Lack of finances.
10. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
(a) Kick it.
(b) Throw stones at it.
(c) Salute it.
(d) Spit on it.
11. How does Manya consider herself intellectually?
(a) Average if not less.
(b) Below par.
12. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
(a) His mother.
(b) His wife.
(c) His father.
(d) No one, he forged his own path.
13. How do her employers treat Manya?
(c) With great respect.
14. What does Marie discover?
(c) Gamma rays.
15. What is piezoelectric quartz?
(a) A device to turn rocks into quartz.
(b) A device used for clarifying the value of quartz crystals.
(c) A device used to define the measurements of crystals.
(d) A device used for measuring small amounts of electricity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Manya and Bronya dream of going?
2. As Marie Curie reflected back on her life what did she indicate was necessary in order to build a better world?
3. How old is Manya at the beginning of this chapter?
4. What does the Curies' doctor warn Marie of?
5. What does the father of the children in the opening scene of the school teach?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)