|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Manya afraid she will never be forgiven for figuring out how to do?
2. What is pitchblende?
(a) A combination of radium and polonium.
(b) A radium core.
(c) A uranium core.
(d) A polonium based metal.
3. Which of the children died from typhus?
4. Why does Marie need to get up very early in the morning?
(a) To take Pierre to work.
(b) To go to the market.
(c) To pay the bills.
(d) To do her own chores.
5. Why did Monsieur Sklodovska lose his job?
(a) He wasn't subservient enough.
(b) His wife became ill.
(c) He couldn't learn to speak Russian.
(d) He was caught speaking Polish.
6. What does the Curies' doctor warn Marie of?
(a) Baby's seizure disorder.
(b) Tubercular lesion.
(c) Eating right.
(d) Taking more time to rest.
7. How do the words that Manya overhears make her feel even though she doesn't understand what they mean?
8. How do Marie and Pierre travel on their honeymoon?
9. What has Marie ruled out of her life?
(a) Family support.
(c) Fulfilling her dreams.
10. What does Marie eat regularly?
(a) Beef and noodles.
(b) Rice and broth.
(c) Buttered bread and tea.
(d) Water and noodles.
11. What research is Pierre conducting that he abandons to help Marie?
(a) Crystalline physics
(b) Uranium conductivity.
(c) Thorium resilience.
(d) X-ray exclusions.
12. When does Manya finish her secondary studies?
13. How many elements do Marie and Pierre come to realize radioactivity is concentrated in besides those already identified?
14. Why does Manya change her name to Marie?
(a) Because she wants to forget her past.
(b) Because she is starting a new life.
(c) Because her sister who died used to call her that.
(d) Because it is the French version of her name.
15. Where does Manya find her own friends?
(a) Russian immigrants in Paris.
(b) Her sister's friends.
(c) Other Polish students in the Latin Quarter.
(d) The peasants of the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Manya's dream at this time in her life?
2. What happens during Marie and Pierre's second year of marriage?
3. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe Manya to be?
4. What does Manya indicate she feels for the first time when her father sends her to the country as a reward?
5. What seems to be always near the surface among the Polish intelligentsia?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)