|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Sklodovskas switch to education?
(a) Because it is the safest profession.
(b) Because estates have grown poorer.
(c) Because they believe in education.
(d) Because that is what their familes have done for years.
2. Which of the following is the best definition for the term kuligs?
(a) Special dishes cooked for birthdays.
(b) Books read in isolation.
(c) Country wildflowers.
(d) Carnivals lasting several days.
3. Why does Manya's work end at Sczczuki?
(a) She has decided to leave the position.
(b) The family can no longer afford to pay her.
(c) The children have gotten married.
(d) The children finish their exams.
4. Why was one of Manya's classmates brothers hanged?
(a) Refusing to follow the school mistress.
(b) Speaking Polish.
(c) Plotting against Russia.
(d) Teaching the girls forbidden things.
5. How do the children earn their living as they finish school?
(a) Taking on boarders.
(b) Being a servant.
(c) Cleaning houses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manya find the discussion at her employers' home to be filled with?
2. What decision does Manya make in regard to her life when Bronya invites her to Paris?
3. What did Mademoiselle Mayer catch Manya and her friend doing that caused a great conflict between the two of them?
4. How does Manya combat her discouragement?
5. What does Manya experience as soon as she leaves her books?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)