|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was one of Manya's classmates brothers hanged?
(a) Plotting against Russia.
(b) Speaking Polish.
(c) Teaching the girls forbidden things.
(d) Refusing to follow the school mistress.
2. What is Manya afraid she will never be forgiven for figuring out how to do?
3. What causes Manya to experience her first revolt against the church?
(a) Her mother's death.
(b) Her father's loss of job and wages.
(c) The Russian imposition.
(d) Reading her books.
4. Why did Monsieur Sklodovska lose his job?
(a) His wife became ill.
(b) He couldn't learn to speak Russian.
(c) He was caught speaking Polish.
(d) He wasn't subservient enough.
5. How do the words that Manya overhears make her feel even though she doesn't understand what they mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following children is the youngest?
2. How do the children earn their living as they finish school?
3. What seems to be always near the surface among the Polish intelligentsia?
4. Which of the following isn't one of the words Manya picks up on from overheard conversations?
5. What does the father of the children in the opening scene of the school teach?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)