|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Manya find the discussion at her employers' home to be filled with?
(a) Russian loyalty.
(c) Intellectual pursuits.
(d) Social change.
2. Why did Monsieur Sklodovska lose his job?
(a) He was caught speaking Polish.
(b) His wife became ill.
(c) He couldn't learn to speak Russian.
(d) He wasn't subservient enough.
3. Which of the following is the best definition for the term kuligs?
(a) Books read in isolation.
(b) Special dishes cooked for birthdays.
(c) Carnivals lasting several days.
(d) Country wildflowers.
4. What did Mademoiselle Mayer catch Manya and her friend doing that caused a great conflict between the two of them?
(a) Studying subjects that were prohibited to girls.
(b) Dancing with joy at the assassination of the Tsar.
(c) Speaking in Polish instead of Russian.
(d) Making fun of Mademoiselle Mayer behind her back.
5. What is Manya's personal ambition?
(a) To become a patriot.
(b) To study in Paris.
(c) To help the poor.
(d) To help her sister realize her dreams.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Casimir's parents oppose the idea of marriage to Manya?
2. What does Manya experience as soon as she leaves her books?
3. Why does Manya begin to withdraw from the performances the Polish students have?
4. What do Manya and Kazia do when they pass the monument in Saxony Square?
5. What was the monument erected to represent?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)