|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the best definition for the term kuligs?
(a) Books read in isolation.
(b) Special dishes cooked for birthdays.
(c) Country wildflowers.
(d) Carnivals lasting several days.
2. Why did Monsieur Sklodovska lose his job?
(a) He was caught speaking Polish.
(b) His wife became ill.
(c) He wasn't subservient enough.
(d) He couldn't learn to speak Russian.
3. What does Mademoiselle Mayer believe Manya to be?
(a) Lying and deceitful.
(b) Smart and respectful.
(c) Stubborn and scornful.
(d) Studious and disrespectful.
4. What does Manya experience as soon as she leaves her books?
(a) A return of her sadness.
(b) A desire to help her mother.
(c) An anger at the Russians.
(d) A longing to flee her life.
5. Why does Manya come to the conclusion that keeping a post in Warsaw is impossible?
(a) She finds no intellectual challenge.
(b) It does not pay enough.
(c) She can not tolerate the rich.
(d) She cannot hide from the Russians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was one of Manya's classmates brothers hanged?
2. Why does Manya begin to withdraw from the performances the Polish students have?
3. Why does Manya change her name to Marie?
4. How does Manya describe her first post as governess?
5. What does Manya find herself ecstatic with even though she has holes in her math and physics skills?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)