|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Monsieur Sklodovska lose his job?
(a) He was caught speaking Polish.
(b) He wasn't subservient enough.
(c) He couldn't learn to speak Russian.
(d) His wife became ill.
2. Why does Manya come to the conclusion that keeping a post in Warsaw is impossible?
(a) She finds no intellectual challenge.
(b) She can not tolerate the rich.
(c) It does not pay enough.
(d) She cannot hide from the Russians.
3. Why does Manya change her name to Marie?
(a) Because her sister who died used to call her that.
(b) Because she is starting a new life.
(c) Because it is the French version of her name.
(d) Because she wants to forget her past.
4. Which of the following is the best definition for the term kuligs?
(a) Books read in isolation.
(b) Carnivals lasting several days.
(c) Country wildflowers.
(d) Special dishes cooked for birthdays.
5. Which of the children died from typhus?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Manya go to escape from her troubles?
2. Where do the Sklodovskass now live?
3. What does Manya find the discussion at her employers' home to be filled with?
4. What does Manya indicate she feels for the first time when her father sends her to the country as a reward?
5. Why do Casimir's parents oppose the idea of marriage to Manya?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)