Part 1: Chapter 1
1. Where does this story open?
2. What are the boys in the opening scene of the story playing with?
(b) Toy vehicles.
(c) Toy animals.
(d) Wooden blocks.
3. What does the father of the children in the opening scene of the school teach?
4. Which of the following children is the youngest?
5. Why did the Sklodovskas switch to education?
(a) Because they believe in education.
(b) Because estates have grown poorer.
(c) Because that is what their familes have done for years.
(d) Because it is the safest profession.
6. Who did Monsieur Sklodovska follow in regards to his career?
(a) His wife.
(b) No one, he forged his own path.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
7. What has impeded the atmosphere at the schools in Poland?
(a) Unqualifed teachers.
(b) Lack of finances.
(c) German invasion.
(d) Russian control.
8. What seems to be always near the surface among the Polish intelligentsia?
This section contains 4,496 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)